Oct No-Spend Challenge: End of the month is here. Hang on No-spenders Almost There! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oct 1st - $50.48 on lunch out to celebrate H's first day of pre-school + $24.00 at the toy store next to where we parked :

Today, I'm resloved to not spend any money on anything other than $20 on groceries. A has soccer this afternoon and he always asks for a cookie from the snack shop there at the community centre. Not today. I'm going to bring water and yummy snacks from home.

And this evening I'm going to sit down and attempt my first written down budget in months (actually in over a year ).
#182 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmama2 View Post
We are doing that right now. I was hoping that it wouldn't come to this, but obviously it had. The person I'm really sore with is me. I know I could have stopped this all last year when we recieved the summons. If I had shown up at court with the contract in my hand this all would have been over with. Instead I called the collection agency and then forgot about it. The silver lining in all of this is that I will never ever procrastinate on something like this again (and our finances will actually turn out better for it too, as long as I never forget this lesson).

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#183 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomom View Post

Ok, I need some advice ladies...I am REALLY wanting to bid on this top from ebay...it's 9.99 right now...and I LOVE it...it's one that I would have forever and I have little clothing that fits me b/c I have lost a lot of weight in the last few months...I sold $70 worth of books on amazon yesterday...but I should put that toward cc....but I also have stuff selling on ebay...about 12 dollars so far....I got another top that I bought from ebay yesterday that I LOVE, too, but it is too small, so I am returning that for a $20 refund...ok, so what do you think...to buy or not to buy? The auction ends tomorrow...
Since you have a refund coming from the too small top I think you should bid.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#184 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomom View Post
Ok, I need some advice ladies...I am REALLY wanting to bid on this top from ebay...it's 9.99 right now...and I LOVE it...it's one that I would have forever and I have little clothing that fits me b/c I have lost a lot of weight in the last few months
If it were me, I would buy it, but like you I wear clothes FOREVER!!

Hi, I'm Natalie, first-timer. My goals are to get out of debt and that should take a few years because we have a stupid Line of Credit that we used for the down payment on our house and we've basically just been throwing money away paying interest on this thing every month for three years. Sigh. So, as soon as we get the van paid off, the extra will go toward the LOC.

Once we're out of debt, my goals are no cc ever any more and to live on DH's salary, which we should be able to do very comfortably when we're out of debt. As long as we make careful choices in the future, we should be set by retirement. Woo-Hoo!

10/1
$.50 M&Ms for girls at mall
$23.91 yarn for girls X-Mas presents
Oh, I forgot
$155.00 Preschool tuition
$58.76 water bill

10/2
$1.26 choc chips
$4.60 to mail my dad's keys back to him
$4.03 coffee at Knit Night
$144.00 CC payment

10/3

10/4
$24.45 Amazon - books for me
$12.00 groceries
#185 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 09:52 AM

Wow, this thread is moving fast!! Gotta go back and catch up.

Oct 1 - Only planned spending within budget today.

No Spend Days: 0/15
No Restaurant/Take-out Days: 0/20
#186 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 10:10 AM

10/2:
No spend: 2/31
Essential spending/bills: 0/31
Made/saved extra: 0/31

Not going out today and can't afford to spend. We have over $200 in extra bills this month. And it's only the 2nd! OMG... It's b/c of DH, but I have to pay them...
#187 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 10:29 AM

1. Hey everyone, my name is Rebekah, I'm 27 and I have tried to do a 'no-spend month' before just for fun--to see if I could do it. Now, I really have to. Our finances are a bit jacked right now and I am the anvil tied around our family and I'm dragging us down. I can't seem to stop spending! Last night, I gave my dh my credit card because I just can't help myself. I can always rationalize *any* purchase. I want to set a good stewardship example for my kids, not only for using the earth's resources wisely, but monetary resources, too. My dh is a CPA and I constantly feel inferior to him because he is *so* fiscally aware. He is also a financial watchdog and handles all the bills and budgeting and stuff. I am welcome to see everything that he does and if I need more money in the budget in certain places he will shuffle things around--but usually I am just not that interested in looking at "the books", kwim?

2. I have decided to spend nothing because it is ripping me and my dh apart. This is the only real conflict in our marriage, but it's a HUUUUGE one. I want to get my spending under control not only for my marriage, but for myself. I have horrible self esteem about my spending/budgeting habits. I feel constantly ashamed whenever I spend money, even on necessities. That's not healthy.

3. I don't have a game plan. We do all our spending on one credit card that we pay the entire balance on each month. I gave mine to dh last night. I have a gas card for gas and I have decided to do cash for groceries. There's nothing else that we *need*. I guess you could say that I'm going cold turkey.

So that's me. Yuck, huh?

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#188 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 10:39 AM

10/1

30.00 at used bookstore (went for 2 books, came home with 7)
9.00 at Toys R Us (40 ct. juice boxes on sale)

Okay, that's much better! For some reason the date setting on my computer is off. I double checked it and it said Wed. Oct. 3, 2007.

I feel better already!

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#189 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nina_yyc View Post
I'm having second thoughts about the diapers - they are AIOs for the day home provider for when I go back to work. Now she didn't specifically say she wouldn't do prefolds, but DD is *very* wiggly so I thought it would be cruel and unusual to both parties. However when I budgeted for those I hadn't picked a day home provider yet, and I thought I'd be dealing with a reluctant cloth diaperer...our provider is pretty cool with the idea. I think I'm just going to acknowledge that it's a bit of a splurge, but not entirely frivilous, and enjoy it.
And if you take good care of them, you'll be able to resell them when you're done, so that will help.

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#190 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex80 View Post
10/1

13.00 at McDonald's
35.00 at Old Navy (returned stuff and bought more for a little more $)
10.00 at Babies R Us (potty)
150.00 at Kroger (groceries)

10/2

30.00 at used bookstore (went for 2 books, came home with 7)
9.00 at Toys R Us (40 ct. juice boxes on sale)

You went to the used bookstore and Toys R Us already??? Man, we just woke up! Can you bring yourself to return the books before they settle into your collection? I'm forever returning stuff

My real weakness is HSing-related spending. I can justify just about anything for HSing, but this month (and for the next few, I'm sure) the money simply isn't there. My DD1 asked me on Saturday if we can go to the little aquarium near here this week. Normally I'd say yes in a heartbeat, but it would cost us nearly $20 just to get in, plus gas etc. I had to say no, and I felt so bad!!!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#191 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 11:16 AM

Changed my post!

Just got a sad voicemail from dh. He is checking the CC online and is really disappointed. He told me that I am being disrespectful of him and that he doesn't even know what to say anymore. I feel terrible, but honestly there's nothing I can say to him anymore. I have apologized all I can. It doesn't mean anything anymore because my behavior isn't changing. This thread may be the only thread I am hanging by right now!!

#192 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Changed my post!

Just got a sad voicemail from dh. He is checking the CC online and is really disappointed. He told me that I am being disrespectful of him and that he doesn't even know what to say anymore. I feel terrible, but honestly there's nothing I can say to him anymore. I have apologized all I can. It doesn't mean anything anymore because my behavior isn't changing. This thread may be the only thread I am hanging by right now!!
this is a support thread, after all, hang in there. can you return some of the things or even sell them for less (not ideal but something to show you DP you care)?

10/2
I did not buy any cookies as I planned, I did buy 2€ worth of not immediately necessary food. ****, no splurging, so that's good! day's almost over, I think i'm safe for today
NO sweets from health food store 2/15
NO amazon purchase for myself 2/31
Days eating out of pantry 1/15

hh2.gif

#193 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 11:27 AM

10/1 no spend!
no drive!

Yea! I am off to a good start this month!

no spend days: 1
no drive days: 1
#194 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Changed my post!

Ah-hah! I was feeling really lazy there (not that I'm not, of course).

mama. Does he understand that you're at least trying? That it's on your mind, and it's a process? My DH always scoffs a little at these kinds of threads, but they really do help. We're here for you.

#195 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Changed my post!

Just keep trying to communicate and hug and kiss A LOT. Money stuff will f up a marriage, so you have to do all you can to get through crappy times.
#196 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 11:43 AM

***October***

Budgeted spending:
$0/350 groceries
$0/50 gas
$0/25 crazy money
$0/30 footwear
$0/30 to give away

***$255 on car registration due Oct 31, let's see how early I can pay it! ***
#197 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 11:46 AM

Aaaah...help.

Online shopping demon is out to get me today! I already bought a pair of boots (in my defense, I need a pair of boots, it's freaking COOOOOLD here) and I've been looking and these were a good deal. I'll wear them forever, too.

But, part of it is just shopping b/c of emotions. There were more threats thrown around today about me losing custody of the kids and I'm a bit rattled. Why not some retail therapy then??? And my babysitter cancelled too, so no work today. Ugh.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#198 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oct 1. $327.60 on plane tickets, $63.99 at BRU

NOT a good start. To be fair though the plane tickets are for my grandmother's 80th birthday. It's close to Xmas (12/22) so I think that's pretty good for 2 tickets. I actually spent less at BRU than I was expecting. I got 2 gifts and some food for DS.

Of course all that is just excuses. Today, I will spend $0. Today, I will spend $0. My new mantra
#199 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ashley back away from the computer...unless it's to stay here Considering the kind of day you're having and the fact you need boots I think you're forgiven.
#200 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 12:23 PM

Oct. 1
Good day overall. Spent under $10.00 today. Bought off brand shampoo and conditioner. What the heck! My hair won't know the difference.
Worked on the whole "loosing my job" thing and may have a solution.

Missing my Auntie
Grandma to 4 beautiful little boys
#201 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 12:28 PM

Today? BROUGHT MY COFFEE FROM HOME! This is huge, ya'll. No $4.50 Pumpkin Spice Latte for me today, no ma'am. Also, brought my lunch- leftovers! And we had dinner at home last night and will again tonight. The DH and I had a conversation about dinner-planning b/c he frequently derails it and I think we're on the same page. Good start to the month, all things considered!

Goals (not including the 1st which is when I decided to do this crazy thing!)

No-Starbucks/ La Taza days: 1/30
Homecooked Dinner days: 1/26
No Bad Student Lunch days: 1/30

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#202 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 01:01 PM

Seems like alot of us are struggling getting started this month! I am one of them! I am having issues! We are 2 months away from our vacation, and I find myself wanting to spend money I see this thing and think "oh that would work great for our trip, or oh dd or ds would look soo cute, or that would help pass the hours in the car" We are TIGHT this month so I can't afford to be thinking this way..We are only paying cash for the vacation, so anything I spend now takes away later, but for some reason I can't tatoo that thought to my brain!
#203 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniej View Post
Aaaah...help.

Online shopping demon is out to get me today! I already bought a pair of boots (in my defense, I need a pair of boots, it's freaking COOOOOLD here) and I've been looking and these were a good deal. I'll wear them forever, too.

But, part of it is just shopping b/c of emotions. There were more threats thrown around today about me losing custody of the kids and I'm a bit rattled. Why not some retail therapy then??? And my babysitter cancelled too, so no work today. Ugh.
Be gentle with yourself.
#204 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 01:51 PM

Hi! I would like to join! My name is Carrie and I am a part-time WOHM to two. My husband and I SHOULD be comfortable with our income, but we are massively in debt. We have a small-ish house that is packed to the gills with STUFF we never use. Getting out debt, stopping spending and clearing the clutter will be hand in hand in our house We have recently gotten Dave Ramsey's books (Financial Peace planner and Total Money Makeover) and we are determined to get out of debt, stay there, and have be me able to SAH full time.

My plan is to make a budget, not use credit cards, and make a grocery list and meal plan before going grocery shopping and to cook 4 or 5 nights of the week. We started mid-September and our first goal was to stop eating lunches out. We were successful and both DH and I have not paid for a lunch out since we started. I KNOW that we can do this!

Upcoming Expenses-- 3yo birthday party gift, 3 tires before the snow flies, glasses and vision exam.

Future Expenses-- Christmas, birthdays (we are ALL January or February birthdays)

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#205 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 01:53 PM

NOW they introduce a pink and chocolate brown playdress. NOW when I've committed to a no-spend month. NOW they put some of my favorite things on sale.

Grrrr.......
#206 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterhope View Post
October 1st
Already failed!!!
$3.55 on a latte
There is no failure on this thread. (You can insert the word "Grasshopper" here if you would like)

The fact that you have come on here and fessed up and that you even KNOW exactly how much you spent means you are right on target. You are doing fabulous! No spend is hard -- it takes time to develop that skill.

And it is a SKILL...you'll get better at it.

Back on the wagon for you!

#207 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

02.. ,

My Goals:

1. No Spend Days: 2/20
2. Let the Car Rest Days: 1/13
3. Gym Days: 1/16 (use what I've already paid for)

#208 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 01:59 PM

October 2nd,
Not going anywhere today so no money spent

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (11 1/2) and DD2 (8). Entering our 4th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers. 10/2014 items purged.
#209 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 02:07 PM

Oct 1- $9.51 for pity wine and some cheese snack sticks. The pity wine is because I got AF today. Not a good thing when you are trying to get pg!

Oct 2- $2.36 on Sonic shake. I am ashamed. I really am not off to a good start this month.

Proud mama to : Nicholas James born 3/19/09
#210 of 1542 Old 10-02-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjd123 View Post
NOW they introduce a pink and chocolate brown playdress. NOW when I've committed to a no-spend month. NOW they put some of my favorite things on sale.

Grrrr.......
lalala I am not listening lalalala

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page