Oct No-Spend Challenge: End of the month is here. Hang on No-spenders Almost There! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1542 Old 09-26-2007, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread is a support thread to help you ~not spend your money~. Everyone is welcome to join (we would love to have you) and you are welcome to start at any time. It doesn't have to be October 1st.

The plan is simple (although very tough to execute):

1. Vow not to spend any money on unnecessary purchases.

2. Come on here everyday and record your spending.

3. If you think that you absolutely MUST buy something, come on here and tell us about it first. Sometimes taking the time to come on here and post before you buy something will help you not buy it.

4. Provide encouragement for your fellow non-spenders and try to talk THEM out of buying things.

Good luck Ladies!! Let's have a strong October!!! Keep that money in your wallet.

ETA: Our no-spend threads tend to get very long...if you are new and considering joining us you don't need to read the entire thread (unless you want to). Just read the first three entries and jump right in. Start your no-spending today!

#2 of 1542 Old 09-26-2007, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Some caveats...

*Groceries, utilities, clothing for you and your family, transportation...these things are necessary. You don't need to record things like that.

*Only YOU can determine what is necessary. We are a non-judgemental group.

*Record whatever will cause YOU to spend the least. If you feel guilty about coming on here and fessing up -- then this thread is working perfectly.

*Don't get discouraged if you spend -- our goal is PROGRESS not PERFECTION. We all will spend this month...let's admit that up front...Our ideal is no-spend...but we'll be happy if you just spend less.

Please don't take an all or nothing attitude. You will see progress if you stick with us...I promise you that.

*If you have time to read everyone else's post and do personals, hurray! That helps our thread do its job...but if you don't have time, then just post your tallies. We have plenty of successful no-spenders who do only that.

#3 of 1542 Old 09-26-2007, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of October. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?

#4 of 1542 Old 09-26-2007, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

1. My name is Prudence and I'm a SAHM with two daughters.

2a. Our mortgage is over 50% of our income. We bought a house that is too big for our budget. A mistake that we can rectify by living frugally, well within our means. This means watching every penny.

2b. Our not-large house is stuffed to the gills with stuff stuff stuff. I don't want to buy more stuff -- I want to pare down what I already have. And for me this means learning NOT to buy things just because I want them that instant. I want to learn to enjoy what we already have.

3. My game plan:

- Come on here and post everyday

- Carry precious little cash in my wallet...if I have to come home and get money to buy something, usually I change my mind and don't buy it

- Stay O*F*F the internet shopping websites diaperswappers and ebay

- Drive the car less. Gas = money. I tend to forget that and I want to stay conscious of this.

Goal to beat my previous records:

May= 19 no-spend days and $265 frittered away
June = 19 no-spend days and $394 in frivolous spending
July = 15 no-spend days and $580 in frivolous spending
August = 19 no-spend days and $451 in frivolous spending
September = 22 no-spend days and $103 in frivolous spending

#5 of 1542 Old 09-26-2007, 09:51 PM

I am ready for October. My nephew's birthday is this month and we just found out that DH needs major unavoidable dental work that's like a bazillion dollars. His lovely insurance pays for none of it (oh except for a measley filling)

[1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

My name is Tiffany and although my husband and I are not really spenders, I would still like to see what I spend decrease.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of October. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.

We are currently TTC, and having trouble with that. Our insurance doesn't pay for meds or for IVF (if it comes to that), so we need to take a look at our spending. My first priority in spending is for my fertility meds.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?[/SIZE][/color][/quote]

Plan: Not shopping online (Amazon is my weakness) or in the store. I am good with that. I hate shopping.

TRY to curb my fast food purchases/ eating out purchases.

On the plus side, we don't spend a lot for groceries. Husband sometimes works 2-11 or 1-10 shifts, so those days I eat cereal or a sandwich. I work at a Cooking School for kids, so those nights I usually eat dinner at work (whatever we cook for the class). Also hubby is GREAT for eating leftovers. I swear he could eat the same thing for 3 or 4 days in a row.

I really need to curb my spending this month! My working hours got decreased, so I need to be especially mindful til they pick up again- IF they pick up again.

Proud mama to : Nicholas James born 3/19/09
#6 of 1542 Old 09-26-2007, 10:11 PM

I'm Michelle! October will be my 3rd No Spend Challange! I'm hoping to get more this month!!

My goals:

Get a job and KEEP it!

Get back on getting out of debt plan.

Last month I did really well at trying to break my Pizza habbit and didn't order as much as I used to.So I'll keep that up this month.
#7 of 1542 Old 09-26-2007, 10:18 PM

I'm trying this this month. I'm excited! LOL
1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.
I'm Princess Tutu. I'm a single, homeschooling mama on a very limited income.

I have tallied up a budget. I should have more money left over after paying bills and buying household items than I ever do. It's driving me mad. With Yule coming up and my dd's bday in January, I really need to get on the savings ball. Plus, my van needs some work done before it gets cold.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?
The plan is to always take a list with me to the store. If I don't have a list, I don't go to the store. When I go to the store, I can't buy anything that's not on the list.

The plan is to drive less so I can spend less on gas.

The plan is to take the bus more often when I have somewhere to go. The kids ride free and I have lots of tokens. I need to use them!

The plan is to spend less time on the computer so I can plan my travel time better and actually catch the bus to go places. LOL

The plan is to always have snacks with me so that when we get hungry on the road, we have something to tide us over til we get home.

I might add more as the month goes on. I don't know. I don't feel like I spend a lot, but I definitely don't have the cushion my budget shows I should have.

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

#8 of 1542 Old 09-26-2007, 10:53 PM

[1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

My name is BJ, this is my first time. I'm a homeschooling mom. On a budget, living on one income.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less)
I need to get serious about saving some money to move. We are having our 5th baby in Dec, and I really wanna be outta this house by spring! I'm a SAHM and I would really like my DH to know that I'm not wasting what he works so hard for!

I'm going to try and not eat out more than 2x this month. Take snacks with us.

Stay away from the Trading post, Ebay, and diaper sites. Try not to set foot in Target. No credit cards this month.

Plan our food menus and stick with it. Minimal trips to town.
#9 of 1542 Old 09-26-2007, 11:40 PM

My name is Heather. My husband and I don't have any kids but 3 days ago we decided to apply to become foster parents! So I have to call for info, apts etc. I want to use this month to take stock of what we have, what we'd need, where we're going with this... etc. Oh, and it depends on when this all comes together, but I'd possibly quit my job. Well, it's more of a 'not signing up again for it' type thing. The job sucks, the hours are non existent and the pay is mediocre. Boy. I would sure miss it. Hey look at me! I'd be a SAHM! : I'm getting goosebumps!

We're still paying off credit card debt that we transfered to a line of credit. Started the month with $4100 in debt and paid a good little chunk of it. Will check for more exact info! My DH is amazing BTW! He put in a lot of overtime for this.

I vow to spend no money this month EXCEPT:
$350 on groceries
$50 on gas
$25 on anything for me aka "crazy money"
$30 footwear if I find something
$30 to give away (I treated my mom and sisters to dinner yesterday and it felt nice! I want to start giving money away to people, but I'm going to start small)

ETA: $255 on car registration. I love having enough money with some left over! This is the first time in a couple years that I opened the bill and didn't say "Oh ! How are we going to pay this?!"

And I'm still holding out for a fridge and a carpet cleaner. Come on good deals!:
#10 of 1542 Old 09-26-2007, 11:43 PM

Hello! This is my second month and I am a stay at home mom to 2 great kids. We really want to adopt and we need to get into a place financially that we can do it. We did awesome last month. This thread made me not spend and because of that I kept the cars home a lot more and I put over $1150 towards credit card debt alone. I also cut my grocery budget by almost $200 dollars. I only spent $295!!! I usually spend $450+ I really am truly amazed and I plan to do it again this month, especially with it being my DD's birthday and Christmas coming soon. My DH really helped and we really made it a no-spend month. He made us stick to it and we had money leftover to put on debt! We planned everything out at the beginning of the month and stuck to it. We only had one unexpected medical cost and we were able to cover. We can do it everyone! I have to keep doing this because the results are amazing. Good luck!

Homeschooling Momma to DD 8 years old, DS 7 years old, DS born 03/11 by adoptionheart-1.gif , waiting for DD born 07/10 and two furry labs. Wife to my wonderful husband of 12 years.
#11 of 1542 Old 09-27-2007, 12:09 AM

Hi! so excited to see the new thread started!! I'm Sasha and this is technically the first month doing the challenge.

I am joining because we're horrible at wasting money. Seriously, if you look at our bills and budget nicely for groceries, fuel, etc, there should be a nice amt of money left over. Well, I'm tired of seeing our bank accts in the negative, and I want to start saving money. Also, we need to get our gas turned back on before it gets cold here.

I plan on cooking more. I need to keep my house clean, because for some reason, having a messy house means I don't want to do anything, which leads to pizza....I am going to get more organized with my shopping and am going to start using coupons again. I am starting to use our cloth diapers full time instead of part time. I'm going to make a goal of only taking the car out twice a week.

I'm planning on having at least 15 completely no-spend days.

I need to stay off the tp!!! I do have some co-ops that I have either paid for and am awaiting the shipping prices or one co-op that I do need to stay in, but no more this month!!

Grocery budget for this month: $372. That's pretty tight for us, but I'm sure I can do it if I just pay attention and plan.
#12 of 1542 Old 09-27-2007, 12:13 AM

Prudence, you're such a good thread leader! What great intro posts! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post
I'm Melissa, homeschooling WAH mom to Bella (5) and Julie (2).

Quote:
My DH is in the process of getting laid off (as in, they sent the employees home today because they started looting the office while waiting to hear how the bankrupt company is going to you-know-what them over the next two days--it's pretty bad). I work almost FT from home, and with two kids, no childcare, working and caring for our home etc., I've gotten pretty used to convenience items. That's pretty much over for now. My DH has another job (a few, actually) lined up, but it's purely commission based. We'll have unemployment for up to six months, and that will cover the shortfall, but when that's gone...well, let's just say we'll be in the red :

Quote:
I just signed up for Door-to-Door Organics, and we got our first box today. It's ginormous, and should keep us in fruits and veggies for two weeks. Between those deliveries and my pantry and freezer stockpile, I should be able to avoid the grocery store like the plague for at least a month--probably longer. That will save a bundle. Plus, if I can exercise some self-control and portion control, that will help both my wallet and my waistline!

If I can find a cheap coffee that actually tastes good, I should be able to eliminate my weekly post-gymnastics Starbucks stop. Any suggestions? I love Starbucks coffee but can't deal with the price :

DH and I were all set to go for a nice night out for our anniversary on Saturday. It's extremely rare that we get out without the kids, so I need to find something much cheaper than our original plan. We'd really love to just go to a movie. I wonder how we could get cheap tickets!

The main portion of my plan involves simply staying off eBay and the TP here, and staying out of stores. I need a few small items, like a new seven-watt bulb for DD's nightlight (which she can't sleep without), but I have a small Target gift card that should cover a few things. The Gymbucks promotion is killing me right now, but the reality is that we have all we need for the moment, and I have to keep that at the top of my mind. WE HAVE ALL THAT WE NEED AT THE MOMENT!

One additional part of my plan is bring in some money this month. I have a whole bunch of things that need to leave this house--toddler Robeez and NWT clothes, some giftable stuff that I can probably sell on the TP, a couple of items I want to put on Craigslist--and I need to finally take pics and get them all listed. That will all help us get over the hump until DH's unemployment takes effect.

Wow, you're right. Typing that all out was very helpful! I'll have to bookmark this post for future inspiration.

Looking forward to not spending with you all this month!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#13 of 1542 Old 09-27-2007, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'm Jessie, SAHM to two girls. Bella (5) and Maureen (2 in 1 week) I am currently waiting to see if I made it into nursing school for Jan (or if I've been waitlisted)

We need any extra money to pay for my schooling. More up front cash paid is less debt later.
Christmas is only 2mo away.
It would be nice to make an extra car payment this month as mine is 6mo away from being paid off. (Dh's truck is)

Think before I spend. I just wrote out bills tonight and I am going to keep a copy of how much we spend each month on them.

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (12) and DD2 (8 1/2). Entering our 5th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers.
#14 of 1542 Old 09-27-2007, 12:34 AM

I'm Dennie, and am an online student and SAHM to Anna-Lee and have another one due at the end of Dec.

2. DH and I are on a goal to becoming debt free. By 10/01 we'll have paid 3 of our 9 credit cards off in full, and almost completely paid off a 4th. We need to save as much money as possible to put towards paying off the 6 cards we'll still owe on at the beginning of this month. Once our credit cards are paid off we can begin the process of applying for pre-approval on a mortgage and getting out of renting my parents' basement (and have more than 350sq ft for 4 people!).

2b. I know I spend too much if left to my own devices. I strive for a simpler life. I want to be one of those put together women that seem to have everything organized and life in order. I can't do that if I'm always running around buying things, adding to the clutter in our lives, and not keeping up with my spending and worrying about how much is in the bank!

3. This is my second month doing the challenge. I learned a lot of things the first month. Some things I learned that helped last month:
-Avoid Target like the plague!
-There are plenty of things that are free that we can spend time together doing as a family. Even if a normally free activity turns into something that costs money, it generally winds up being much cheaper than if we'd gone somewhere that cost money to begin with.
-Always make sure we wake up in time to get something to eat before leaving the house. Or that we pack quick snacks with us so nobody winds up *having* to go out to eat while we're out running errands.
-The more I spend the more stuff I have to find room for. And we just don't have room for extra things right now!

Goals: No spend days- 10
No eat out days- 15
#15 of 1542 Old 09-27-2007, 12:52 AM

1. My name is Kim; our family includes DH, DD (12/03) + DS (9/06). I am PT sahm/PT wahm/PT wohm for a nonprofit; kiddos are with DH when I go to the office. In the process of starting up a consulting business, so our already busy schedules are getting a little more full. Have been with this group since June, and the resulting savings have been fantastic.

2. We recently bought another house, and I want to quickly erase the HELOC used on our first house (renting out) to meet downpayment. Would then like to hit the remaining debt snowball hard, + throw some big money to our investments. Also, DH is switching careers and in nursing school; plan to pay cash for all school expenses.

3. Game plan:
* Bring in more $ consulting
* Sell boatload of items on CL/eBay (less clutter = more $/time)
* Stay OUT of Target
* No more McD - think I conquered this one in September, but will keep as a goal for October just to be sure there is no backsliding and picking up of fries/"strawberry" shakes
* Minimize trips to the Co-op; our grocery budget will thank me
* Try a waiting period for purchases
* Work out a meal plan + try to stick to it a majority of the time
* Pack snacks + water whenever we go out
* No more late library materials!

GOALS:
* Less than $100 in frivolous spending: month to date $0
* At least 25 days (no spend or spending w/in budget): 0/31
* No McDonalds: 0/31
* Avoid Target: 0/31
* Pack snacks/water for outings: 0/31
* NO library fines: month to date $0
* Stay within grocery budget: $0/$430

WELCOME NEWBIES AND GOOD LUCK TO ALL!
#16 of 1542 Old 09-27-2007, 12:59 AM

Well, i joined last month but got lazy...then started spending on misc. crap again so just sort of gave up.

I want a fresh start for October! We really need to save every last cent we have right now. Dh is back in school and jobless. We wont get unemployment next school year so we will be living off whatever we can save up NOW, plus DH will probably get a part time job (he's doing full time PLUS, so he wont be able to get many hours).

I've always been able to save...but i could save MORE. I am good at budgeting...just not sticking to my budget. If any "spare" money can be found we blow it...our big "blowy" area is eating out and junk food. We did a LOT better in september(plus i lost 13.5 lbs and dh lost 10!!!!) but still not perfect. I cooked MOST meals but laziness still got ahold of me and we probably ate out or got a dessert out 5 times? Considering in August we nearly ate out daily (no kidding! DH lost his job that month and it was way stressful and depressing...so i did nothing) that's awesome!

So my goal is to stick to my budget 100%.

That being said...i DO have $25/mo spending cash for myself..and i will allow myself to spend it if i NEED something - like face wash which i am almost out of, but other than that i'd like to save it for some new clothes that i'm sure i'll need once i reach my goal weight (I have to lose 50lbs total!).

So yep...stick to budget to a T and put everything else in savings...oh! And no pulling money out of savings for misc. crap.
#17 of 1542 Old 09-27-2007, 01:06 AM

Quote:

I'm Laura, sahm, wahm, to one teen and two toddlers. We already live a pretty frugal lifestyle but I feel we could do so much better.

My dh has been out of work since Feb, and we are finally getting around to discovering how bad our financial picture really is.: My goals are to reduce our grocery/gas expenditure, and put more effort into reducing our cc debts.

I plan to find cheaper ways to feed our family of five, while still maintaining at least some of our organic integrity. I will say no to store cookies, soda, and candy treats. I will cut out unnecessary car trips to save on gas, and I'll stay out of Goodwill!
#18 of 1542 Old 09-27-2007, 02:15 AM

I am Amanda, SAHM to my 4 year old dd, and 2 year old ds. My dh has been working long hours, so he is gone alot of the time..

We need to get our emergency fund completely in place
We have a Disneyland vacation coming up in Dec. so we need to SAVE SAVE SAVE!
We ultimately want to get out of debt, get a new washer and dryer, and remodel our bathroom

I will not shop at diaperswappers, I will not shop at diaperswappers, I will not shop at diaperswappers, I will not shop at diaperswappers...
I am trying to simplify, declutter and SELL, so hopefully I will have some luck at selling this month!
I need to stay away from etsy and walmart also..they are evil!
I am hoping to get enough saved in Oct. to buy our park tickets so that should be some motivation!
I will only carry cash in my wallet..no debit cards!

Goals:
No Spend Days: 24/31
No Diaperswappers/etsy: 28/31
Save $750
Park the car days = 7

My exceptions:
Halloween costumes
Disneyland park tickets
Food for dd's birthday party
#19 of 1542 Old 09-27-2007, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGlimmeringHope View Post
2b. I know I spend too much if left to my own devices. I strive for a simpler life. I want to be one of those put together women that seem to have everything organized and life in order. I can't do that if I'm always running around buying things, adding to the clutter in our lives, and not keeping up with my spending and worrying about how much is in the bank!
I am right with you on that one!!
#20 of 1542 Old 09-27-2007, 04:30 AM

I'm Momaste. I'm a SAHM to a 2 year old boy, and a full time college student.

My husband and I have no personal debt and a small emergency fund, but his business has lotsa debt and I'm trying to help nickel and dime us out of it. Anything not spent this month can go toward getting this monkey off our backs and toward building financial security. Also, I want to live a less consumer-driven lifestyle and learn to be content with what I have.

My goal is to save/bring in at least $1000 in October to put toward debt.

I'm not carrying money and not going shopping. I'll bring lunch to school rather than buying in the cafeteria (their food sucks, anyway.)

Exceptions:
Craft felt for home made Christmas presents, bought wholesale through a co-op in progress.
Supplies for Halloween costume for DS2 (under $10)
Canning lids and rings
A jacket for me (I've lost weight and last year's jacket doesn't fit at all.)
And the biggie: We're buying a dining table this month. We're eating on a card table currently, and I'm hosting Thanksgiving dinner for 10 so a real table is in order before November. I'm scouring Craigslist; we're not buying new.
#21 of 1542 Old 09-27-2007, 10:05 AM

i'm sarah, SAHM to dd(2).

i need to save because we currently don't make enough to pay our bills. i also want to speed up paying off my student loan and save for some things dd wants.

my plan is to track grooceries as well as non-essentials because: we eat organic, i tend to buy stuff on sale, and i eat when stressed so i add to our grocery bill buying unnecessary food.

frugal plan:

go to ap/crunchy/homeschool playgroups within 30 minutes of our house
continue hang/rack drying clothes
keep a/c and heat off as much as possible right now
stick to grocery list and use cash!
finally make some family cloth (this was on july's and august's lists too, but i cut wipes!)
eat less
donate or sell extra stuff

sarah
#22 of 1542 Old 09-27-2007, 12:28 PM

I'm Nina, mom of one sweet 10mo baby. Last month's challenge was really fun to track, and this month I'm sure I can improve my record of ~ $400 over budget! My DH an I are saving for a house, so we're on a fairly restricted budget. I do have some planned spending coming up for clothes for work and personal care, but I've got you guys to keep me from going overboard =)

Grocery/household/baby: $0/$440
Frivilous spending $0/25
#23 of 1542 Old 09-27-2007, 12:51 PM

My name is Sasha. I'm a SAHM to 3 kids from 4 months to 4 yrs old. My husband changed jobs last Spring and became a Mortgage Broker and I suppose that was bad timing with the way the economy/loans/mortgages/interest rates are going right now. He just got out of that job and moved on to a salaried position...but we have a ton of debt from this Summer (living on little money because he was making commission). We now realize we need to pay off our debt from this Summer, plus other debt we've been living with (student loans, car loans, etc.) and are motived by Dave Ramsey's snowball effect.

I do not want to buy anything except for groceries this month. I will post on here when I do. The plan: Max $70/week on groceries, $50/week at Costco total. I will post on this thread anytime I spend money.
#24 of 1542 Old 09-27-2007, 12:55 PM

Sigh. I'm joining in since dh was fired : Money is going to be tight till he figures something out.

Fortunately, he is meeting with a career services counselor today at his college to talk about his resume.

It sucks that Christmas is getting near and I'm scared that we won't have money for ANYTHING. At least I've already started on ds' present....a train table we are making ourselves. We got one of those play mats that looks like train tracks, and we have wood which we will cut to fit the mat. We will glue the mat to the wood and will add wheels so that it can slide easily under ds' bed. Then I am going to go to Ikea, because they sell really cheap wooden tracks and trains.
#25 of 1542 Old 09-27-2007, 01:40 PM

I'm a SAHM/pt WOHM with a 2yo DD and 3mo DS. DH and I are hoping to buy a house soon. Its going to take a lot of money for down payments, closings costs, etc. and I need to save every penny we can for these expenses. Plus winter and Christmas are coming up so there are going to be other expenses soon too. I've worked out our budget for the month. For now I'm not going to add any extra expenses. I'll add them as needed if necessary. I fell off the bandwagon last month so hoping I'll do better this month.

No Spend Plan:
NO eating out
At least 20 no spend days
Make meal plan and STICK TO IT! Eat from pantry before buying.
Line dry clothes at least twice a wk.

Groceries: 200
Gas: 150
Misc: 50

I'm putting up pics of my house and plans for it and the paperwork showing what our costs should be in the office to remind me what I'm working for. I'm going to use the envelope method this month so I don't end up spending extra on the debit card and locking that and the cc's in the lock box. Good luck to everyone this month! I know we sure need it!!!
#26 of 1542 Old 09-27-2007, 02:25 PM

Hi, my name is Jenny and I am a SAHM to one lovely little girl and wife to one lovely big husband.

We recently made two semi-big purchases on credit cards. DH wants to dip into savings to pay them off but I am trying my darndest to pay them off without touching any of that money. We will really need to watch every penny to accomplish this goal.

*No clothing purchases for dd. She needs NO CLOTHES!
*No shopping for entertainment.
*I do not need fabric so I shall not buy it. (I will repeat this to myself everyday. It shall become my mantra.)
*Eat out no more than 3x this month (not counting anniversary trip)
*Our 7th anniversary is coming up on the 13th and we will most likely go out of town that weekend. I am hoping we can have as frugal a holiday as possible.

No spend days: 0/21
No dining out days 0/27
Groceries $0/$300
Personal mad money 0/$50
DD's mad money 0/$20

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#27 of 1542 Old 09-27-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:

Hi, Its me again, I tried to join in last month and only lasted a few days. I am going to try again so lets hope it goes better this month.

I am a SAHM of one, My husband is working trying to become a teacher. He is working three jobs and his income changes and is hard to predict. Our goal is to not spend any more money then absolutly nessesary.
I also want to try and drive less, gas is expensive.

so goals are:
I want to have 20 no spend days this month.
I want to have 18 no gas days this month.
#28 of 1542 Old 09-27-2007, 03:24 PM

I'm frog. I'm 36 and live with my partner, turtle, and our passel of cats (Mason, Kissa, Sevyn, Tamarind and Lychee). I work full time. For right now, turtle's unemployed but looking.

turtle is unemployed
our savings is minimal and pathetic
we have credit card debt

* only one trip to the grocery store in October 0/1
* pack lunches and snacks every working day 0/23
* frugal choices at the Farmer's Market, bearing in mind the produce box
* no clothing purchases, not even thrift
#29 of 1542 Old 09-27-2007, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

I want to hear how this one trip to the grocery store thing works out, Frog. Because I often think about trying that too. If I can just stay out of the store, I don't spend money.

Do you have a free-standing freezer or are you just using the one attached to your fridge?

#30 of 1542 Old 09-27-2007, 08:31 PM

this is my first month trying this! let's see how it goes!
--I'm Christy. I'm 22 and I work part time and I'm also a full time student. I live with my DF (who works full time) and our son Matthew...and we spent entirely too much money!!:

-I have let my spending habits get out of control. I've been using my credit cards for unnecessary things and it's starting to build up. I have no savings, we basically live paycheck to paycheck, which I really want to get out of doing.

--not going online shopping. STAYING AWAY FROM EBAY! that is my weak spot.
--not going to stores just to look around. I always end up buying stuff I don't need.
--packing my lunches for work/school instead of eating out, or getting stuff from vending machines..that adds up
--eat what we have at home before going to the grocery store!!
--grocery shopping once every 2 weeks.
--sell some of matthew's old baby clothes and accessories

That's it for now. I'll think of more and add them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page