Mothering Forum banner

is overstock.com too good to be true?

2K views 28 replies 27 participants last post by  Peony 
#1 ·
We need new sheets for the guest bed [where grandparents sleep when visiting]. I feel like since my parents mostly come here to run themselves ragged playing with the kids all day, cooking, cleaning for us, they deserve sheets that aren't riddled with holes
: I am poking around on the web and see that WOW are sheets, even full-sized $$$$$$$$$! [we got ours as gifts here and there and I just don't shop for sheets]. I got onto overstock.com and wow are they cheap, but something inside me says: if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. These sheets are easily 60% off what they normally sell for. What gives? Anyone know how they can be so cheap? We pinch our pennies tight, but I don't ignore where things come from. Am I hearing the siren song of overstock.com, or would I be foolish to pay 3 to 4 times more at Mr. Bean for sheets [I've tried Target, but I'm kind of picky and feel what they have is too $$$ for the quality].

See less See more
#2 ·
I've bought things at overstock and been very happy, but not sheets per se.

I bought my sheets at Kohl's, in store, but they are having a sale online right now: http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/sale...34374752654560 I don't know how those sheets compare price / thread count wise to the overstock ones, but I got their 600 thread count luxury collection about a year ago and they are so soft and I've been very happy with them.

#6 ·
I've bought sheets, a down comforter, mattress covers, and a foam topper from Overstock and been very pleased w/ the price and quality. The down comforter was so cheap I was sure it would be horrible--$40 for a king I think it was--but it's great and we're still using it. I agree--read the reviews for the product and also read the product info carefully.

ETA Tuesday Morning stores will have amazing sheet deals IME

#7 ·
oh, i LOVE overstock.

last year, i got a king-sized down comforter with four feather-pillows for less than a hundred bucks. i also got my dresser and entertainment center...i love that i only had to pay three bucks for shipping on an item that was extremely heavy.

downside, of course...i had to put them together.

#9 ·
Wow, great! I just hadn't heard people talking about it much. I was checking the feedback and only going with items that had nearly five stars. It's just so
to me that the prices are THAT cheap--how can it be? Well, I won't worry about that too much and just get some cheap sheets! The nice thing about sheets is that the thread count is sort of an objective measure of quality.
Thanks!

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mashenka View Post
Wow, great! I just hadn't heard people talking about it much. I was checking the feedback and only going with items that had nearly five stars. It's just so
to me that the prices are THAT cheap--how can it be? Well, I won't worry about that too much and just get some cheap sheets! The nice thing about sheets is that the thread count is sort of an objective measure of quality.
Thanks!
i can actually answer that a bit...i work in retail, so i see it a lot. when it's time to bring in the new set of merchandise...the previous merchandise is drastically reduced in price. not because there's anything wrong with it...but just to get it out of the way.

if too much is bought, or the market has changed in another direction...then there's even MORE overstock to be gotten rid of...and that's what overstock is for.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mashenka View Post
It's just so
to me that the prices are THAT cheap--how can it be?
The secret is in the name: overstock. It's the end of season stuff that needs to be cleared from the shelf and warehouse. It's kinda like shopping at TJ Maxx and Marshall's or an outlet store.

I've bought some great stuff from Overstock: cast iron wine rack, gorgeous painted end tables . . . I do buy sheets in person, though. I have to feel them. I go to Marshall's or wait for a dept store homesale.

#17 ·
Overstock is legit. Just like most stores, the products can be hit or miss but mostly we have only had hits from them:

-Down Comforter, over 75% off orginal price, we paid $50 4 years ago and it is still going strong.
-Crib, bought one for my son there once his hand me down from a friend proved to rickety. It was a nice one, paid less than $125 and it shipped free at the time. When we sold it on Craigslist a year later, we got the $125 back (similar ones were going on CL for $175-200 so at $125 it went fast!).
-Various shoes and small items.

The only real miss was a set of rings which they sent a size too small and it took forever to get the return completed.

#19 ·
Overstock.com is my go-to Christmas shopping place. I got DH an absolutely drop-dead watch there for 92% off two Christmases ago and have been hooked ever since. We've bought jewelry, clothes, baby toys, our stereo, and most recently a sewing machine there and always been very happy and impressed -- as long as we carefully read the reviews and did our research.

I was NOT happy when we bought books there. Although they are slightly cheaper than Amazon, they charged an ABSURD restocking fee when the book I bought didn't turn out to be what I'd thought it was. We ended up lying and exchanging it at Barnes and Nobel during the holiday rush. I do understand from my more recent visits to the site that they've dropped their restocking fee on these items.

#21 ·
I buy a lot of books there. Unlike amazon the prices are better, the shipping costs less, and the books get shipped very quickly. I have never had a problem. I have bought a few other things on there and like the books I have only had good luck. A friend of mine has bought a lot of furniture on overstock and has had some amazing finds. Like any online store where you cannot see the item first you do take a little bit of a chance. Read the reviews and keep an eye on the return policies.

#22 ·
Everything I've bought there has been broken and had to be returned (a vacuum, a desk, and a digital camera). I am a huge bargain shopper and I felt like I gave them many chances but I basically gave up on them.

I've had very good luck with Sierra Trading Post (especially with the frequent 20% and 30% off coupons found at http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...yword1=sierra_
and Home Decorators Outlet.

I did get some pretty cool shoes from Overstock for super cheap,
though. Hmm...

Still, FatWallet only gives them 3 stars (out of a possible 5).

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuller2 View Post
Everything I've bought there has been broken and had to be returned (a vacuum, a desk, and a digital camera). I am a huge bargain shopper and I felt like I gave them many chances but I basically gave up on them.

I've had very good luck with Sierra Trading Post (especially with the frequent 20% and 30% off coupons found at http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...yword1=sierra_
and Home Decorators Outlet.

I did get some pretty cool shoes from Overstock for super cheap,
though. Hmm...

Still, FatWallet only gives them 3 stars (out of a possible 5).
Sheets are pretty unlikely to break in shipping

#24 ·
I have bought from Overstock.com many times. One year, I found a great deal on sheets, so I bought some for my daughter and son in law, for Christmas. When they came, I was so impressed that I immediately went online and bought some for me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.