"Lower Income Moms" October 2007 Support - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-26-2007, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LL - I'm not sure what part of FL you are in, but here Catholic Charities rarely has money to help after the first of the month. It might be different in other parts of the state, but I had tried to get rent help here before and they had no money to help. On the other hand I know someone that they helped out a good deal about 18 months ago. Do try calling 211 to see what other local options you have. From what I remember a lot of the places wanted to see an eviction or at least late notice before helping with any bills. Not such a big help when we were trying to avoid having them get to that point! Unless things change we will probably be looking into that type of help again in December.

Good things
1. I've finally got my maternity medicaid set up and have an appointment with my mw on Halloween. I'll be 16 weeks so we are hoping to hear a heart beat.
2. It's Friday and dh gets paid today. Most of the money is already gone for bills, but at least we can pay them.
3. It's cooling off some in FL so I'm no longer running the a/c all the time to keep comfortable.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2007, 01:35 PM

Also another note on cable ~~ unless you live in an area that is mostly flat (ok ok, this is probably the rest of the US, except here LOL) you won't get any reception by rabbit ears anyway. (I live surrounded by hills; there is nothing but static from broadcast stations.)
Old 10-26-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post

Also, in 2009, you will have to pay for local anyway. They are making all broadcasting digital. You can't get your local stations through rabbit ears anymore.
That stinks.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseMomme View Post
That stinks.
No kidding!! What a bummer.

I have been on the recieving end of so much giving...I feel truly blessed. A friend in town here brought us a bag of essentials, a huge bag of apples and $40!!! I was crying when she left because it was so nice, and so unexpected, and sooo helpful! Just amazing!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
Old 10-26-2007, 05:31 PM

Ugh. No sooner was my cousin packing up from fixing our porch roof (blessing #1 -- we swap labor so it got fixed for just the $200 in materials!) then he notices water bubbling up from the end of our septic near where it goes out into the leach field. :

So I called the septic place & after speaking with the guy we need to undig our septic this weekend & crack the top on the tank to see if it's full. I'm REALLY hoping it's full because that will "only" be another $200 to have pumped out. If it's not full, then we've probably got bigger problems. Either a pipe going out to the leachfield is plugged or the leach field itself is shot. I don't even want to think about that last scenario. Luckily I have managed to set aside a few hundred dollars, but sheesh no sooner do I get it set aside than something else eats it right up again. :

And earlier today I noticed that we apparently have had mice in our cupboards :Puke I already tore apart the utensil drawer, washing the drawer & everything in it. Now over the weekend I'll need to pull everything out of the cabinet under it & in the drawer under the stove. *sigh* We live in the country so it's just little field mice. It happens when you live out in the middle of no where, but that doesn't make it any less nasty. DH definitly has to go up into the attic today or tomorrow and set mouse traps.

Also, the stuff I've listed on the TP is NOT selling. It's good stuff too. Like Mosaic Moon soakers, Hotslings, dyed MEOS, Taylormade RS....

Anyway, my other 2 blessings today are:

~ Leftovers! I made chicken/potatoes/carrots in the crock pot a couple days ago & just heated up the leftovers for supper this evening. No cooking for me tonight!

~ The new issue of Mothering & of a Christian homemaker magazine (Above Rubies) that I get both arrived in the mail today.

Well, DD2 is actually napping & I'm letting DD1 watch Bob the Builder, so I think I'm going to go sit on my porch under my nice new roof, read a magazine and chill for a bit.

Hope everyone else it having better luck today!
Old 10-26-2007, 05:37 PM

mrskennedy - SOOO cool about your sister watching your kiddo while you do your MT training. I'm *really* struggling with finding time to get the training done. Once I'm actually working I'll hire a mother's helper if necessary, but until I have the actual income from working I can't really hire anyone. I need to just buck up and MAKE myself work on it for an hour each evening after DDs are in bed regardless of how tired I am. That's when DH does all his schoolwork, so I guess if it's good enough for him it should be for me too.

LankyLizards - How frustrating about the rent/job/childcare situation. Have you looked into home sharing at all? We live next door to a town with a very high cost of housing and homeshares are VERY popular. Maybe another single mom who is looking for someone to help with the bills/chores/childcare?
Old 10-26-2007, 05:39 PM

[QUOTE=mamamoo;9548723
I have been on the recieving end of so much giving...I feel truly blessed. A friend in town here brought us a bag of essentials, a huge bag of apples and $40!!! I was crying when she left because it was so nice, and so unexpected, and sooo helpful! Just amazing![/QUOTE]

That's so awesome!
Old 10-26-2007, 05:40 PM

Ugh...my father has something like that happen with his septic tank a couple of years ago and was told he needed a new one (which would be sooo expensive) but then the guy just pumped it saying it would help temporarily and now, two and a half years later it's still fine.

In a couple of weeks (let's just say three....so as to not get my hopes up) I will be getting $1600 from school in the form of a scholarship. Yay! It looked like I wasn't getting it, but the woman I just spoke to said it was some sort of error in data entry or something and I am getting it. Wow, that will help. So now it really is a matter of just making it until then and I am soooo thankful at the amount of help dd's father has given me. Never going back to that relationship, but ever-so-thankful anyway.

I hope everyone is having a good Friday (sounds like janerose is - how fun is it to get magazines in the mail instead of bills?!).

Oh, another thing to be grateful for- slightly cooler, less humid weather, finally! Not that sweaters are coming out yet, but I can go outside without immediately sweating.

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
Old 10-26-2007, 06:29 PM

My septic tank did that when I was in labor with DD. So gross and SO not fun.

Can everyone please say a prayer? I have been having some medical issues and have an appointment at the women's clinic in a half hour to try to pinpoint the cause. I'll update when I get home.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMommie View Post
My septic tank did that when I was in labor with DD. So gross and SO not fun.

Can everyone please say a prayer? I have been having some medical issues and have an appointment at the women's clinic in a half hour to try to pinpoint the cause. I'll update when I get home.
Oh mama...thinking of you. I hope everything is ok. You have certainly had enough medical issues in your family to last a long while!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
Old 10-26-2007, 07:57 PM

nice...so the woman I saw had never seen "anything like" what I have going on so i am now going over to the student health center on campus to get another opinion. All the first woman was able to tell me is that removing the problem would require major surgery. :

Old 10-26-2007, 11:15 PM

The ray of sunshine in my day today was getting a Happy Halloween card in the mail from my best friend with these 5 year old pictures of me and my oldest two boys (about 2 and 7 mos at the time) all dressed up to go trick or treating!

: A little emotional
Old 10-26-2007, 11:36 PM

Hey everyone! Just checking in... things are going ok over here. Me and my boyfriend are back together (he realized he was being a moron, thankfully) and we are staying with my mom for a couple months (probably till January/February as long as he has enough work) and I am thankful for it!!! I am also thankful that he is willing to do the extra 2 hours of driving everyday...

Now I have a question... do any of you mama's make wraps or slings or diapers? I am starting the hunt for these things for my bean and I would love to buy from a WAHM and know I am supporting someone who needs it!!!!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
Old 10-26-2007, 11:57 PM

My DH is really starting to stress me out. I was working at a job back in July which I got let go from and couldn't find anything quickly so I took a job at WF. I get paid every two weeks but am making almost 400 less a paycheck, but I only spend 60 a week on day care versus the 130 I was spending working full time.

My DH really wants me to look for another full time job, but the problem is that the field I am in (I work in video) most of the jobs are in the city (Philadelphia) which takes a 3% wage tax out of your income. On top of that I'd have to commute into the city about 45 mintues each on the train, so I'd have to pay for that as well.

I've explained all this to him, but I don't know what else to say. It doesn't help either that the company I was working for, wants to hire me back as soon as they've got the money to, which if some of the contracts that we're expecting would happen they could. I just get tired of talking about our money situation with everyone. All of his family ask me 20 questions about the situation and I just get so tired of explaining it.

On top of that since its started to get cold, I've got to see about buying some long sleeve shirts since most of mine I can't wear to work at WF.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:36 AM

and to all of you who need it.

CaliMommie ~ what is it that you're experiencing? (If you don't want to tell me or whatever I totally understand but if you want to PM me go for it...) I've had a LOT of issues with my female gear so, maybe I can give you some direction?

On partners ~~ this morning I seriously considered putting an ad in the paper, something like:

Single White Mom of Two, seeking
Old Rich Man to support her, her kids,
pay off her debt and medical bills,
give her a car, and a house
with consistently running water, and then
will her everything so she can actually
get ahead in the world because she's
failing miserably at pretty much everything
in this crappy American economy with inadequate health care
and is no longer feeling optimistic that things will improve
in her lifetime. Responder must be willing to give her
total autonomy over her own life and not step in
to try to co-parent; he must also be willing to back
down in every argument, wash the floors, clean the
dishes, and compliment her on meals she has spent
more than ten minutes cooking. Blue eyes are a
definite plus.

(But I really do adore my boyfriend. )
Old 10-27-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura_Kitten View Post

and to all of you who need it.

CaliMommie ~ what is it that you're experiencing? (If you don't want to tell me or whatever I totally understand but if you want to PM me go for it...) I've had a LOT of issues with my female gear so, maybe I can give you some direction?

On partners ~~ this morning I seriously considered putting an ad in the paper, something like:

Single White Mom of Two, seeking
Old Rich Man to support her, her kids,
pay off her debt and medical bills,
give her a car, and a house
with consistently running water, and then
will her everything so she can actually
get ahead in the world because she's
failing miserably at pretty much everything
in this crappy American economy with inadequate health care
and is no longer feeling optimistic that things will improve
in her lifetime. Responder must be willing to give her
total autonomy over her own life and not step in
to try to co-parent; he must also be willing to back
down in every argument, wash the floors, clean the
dishes, and compliment her on meals she has spent
more than ten minutes cooking. Blue eyes are a
definite plus.

(But I really do adore my boyfriend. )

You forgot to add that the man must be emotionally available at all times and know how to apologize when wrong
Old 10-27-2007, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chely7425 View Post

Now I have a question... do any of you mama's make wraps or slings or diapers? I am starting the hunt for these things for my bean and I would love to buy from a WAHM and know I am supporting someone who needs it!!!!
If you can find someone who will make diapers, slings, or wraps for you, I'll send the fabric for it. I have way too much fabric, and I'd love to know that it's going to someone who would use it.

If anyone else needs fleece or calico fabrics for anything, please send me a PM. I have SO many, and I'd like to send them to someone who would use them rather than have them sit in my house.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:20 AM

AuraKitten-That ad is freakin' great!

Oh, Rachel! Wow. I read your threads in the single parent's forum. He came to his senses, huh? Well, good for you! I'm glad things are working out. Maybe check the Trading Post for slings, etc?

Hugs to CaliMommie...I hope someone can figure it out and fix you. ( Wait, not that you are broken...sorry.)

Tomorrow is my garage sale - wish me luck! We found tons of stuff to seel inc. a tv, a fridge (almost new), tons of kid clothes, lots of house stuff(mirrors, a cd rack, some sort of shelving unit).

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
Old 10-27-2007, 01:51 AM

I went to the student health center & they were so nice. The woman I saw said that she sees what I am talking about & that they can do surgery to correct it, but it isn't life-threatening or anything. Just annoying.

Aura~ I love that ad!

Lanky~ No worries, I know what you mean

Old 10-27-2007, 05:08 AM

I hope I can join in here - I'm a single mom and things are very tight right now. I had to quit working, and then they found out I have a really bad thyroid issue that nearly killed me, so we are having to rely on my parents for nearly everything.

3 things for me are that:
1. We have food in the house and everything is paid.
2. that we were approved for a christmas angel program
3. That I finally was well enough to go turn in the paperwork for our FoodStamp case {which had lapsed since I was sick}. Hopefully we will get it quickly!
Old 10-27-2007, 05:46 AM

things I am grateful for today:

1) that my mom came to give me a jump start when I was stuck at the gas pump at safeway for an hour with five kids, one diaper, and no way home when my husband (seperated)couldn't care less that we were stranded in 49 degree weather.

2) that my mom stayed with me til 10 tonight after we got home and I almost had a nervous breakdown, she held the baby while I got dinner done, did dishes, washed a pair of longies, and actually got to read a story to the kids before bed.

3) that my mom talked to me on the phone for 2 hours tonight(after she got home from my house), talked me down from the craziness I was feeling about really doing this on my own for the rest of my life.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:44 AM

Hello everyone. I've never been in this forum before, and this thread seems like one I fit in on, sadly.

I should be asleep, so I won't get into things now, though. lol

Three things I'm grateful for
1) my kids dental surgery went well on Wednesday and they're both totally recovered today
2) h took both boys out to get some groceries at superstore and I got a couple of hours alone
3) both boys went to sleep really easily tonight

Quote:
I've made 3 mai tai's to sell. My mom bought the fabric and I'm supposed to pay her for it when I sell them. Haven't managed to yet, though. I've been trying to get dh to find the disk with the pictures so I can put them up on TBW.

Actually, I also have some diapers I started making about 6 years ago.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Old 10-27-2007, 10:11 AM

Sandygirl-----thyroid issues are SO hard. I almost lost my life 16 years ago, and did lose the life of my dd, because of thyroid disease. Check out Stopthe ThyroidMadness. Its a life saver.

Well, you would think my life couldn't be any more financially difficult......................................... .................................................. ...............................yeah, right.

:

I think my poverty defines me at times. And the discrimination is outrageous.

I feel a need to list three things I am grateful for:
1. my CSA share is so bright and colorful. It makes me happy just looking at it, let alone eating it!
2. My new thyroid meds are working! I feel physically and mentally better than I have in years!
3. Spoke with three of my professors this past week and they were all so supportive and understanding.

but!!!!!! I am almost out of TP and I have a gaggle of girls coming for a sleepover. I'll have to grab my largest purse........

I can't afford to buy my dd what I wanted to get her for her b=day

all my dd's friends are rich! their parents will be dropping them off at our little poor house. I am feeling SO exposed!

But her friends are fun little people.
I love my DD's
My animals keep me laughing, amused, feeling loved, and WARM!
If its all too much and I find a need to take to my bed, I put my favorite sheets on my bed that I dried on the line!!!! I can be depressed in yummy smelling comfort!

ediesmom

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
NOt only do I make them I've got some sale prices at the moment. I have some rings from sling rings and they have changed up the size so I'm trying to get all my inventory up to date with what I can currently order. I would also highly suggest checking out the WAHM connection in the WAHM Well down at the bottom of the page. There are tons of listings there for WAHMs that post here on MDC.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:06 AM

I had some good finds last night while getting Halloween stuff. I just happened to pass a super cheap fabric table and found light blue cotton for under $1 a yard that dd said would be perfect for her Cinderella dress. The fabric store is right up the road from us and the full time employees know me. The only guy that works there reminded me last night that I really need to get some business cards done up as they have several openings on their display for putting cards in. My dh was also very sweet last night and ran to get me a slurpee as I am having trouble getting any liquids in. When I said I thought that might work he was out the door at 9pm. I also found some old 3T size pants of dd's that I had boxed up and couldn't find. They are going to work great for ds and now he only needs a couple more pairs of pants. Since we still have to figure out pants for dd that was a big help. It's a huge pain finding clothes that fit her decently so I may end up making her some cords again if I can find decent priced material.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:37 PM

s ediesmom ~ I had no idea.

I just spent a ridiculous amount of money getting a cell phone because the company requires an insanely huge deposit, because my credit rating is so low ~~ I drained my savings and most of what I had left from my last financial aid check to cover it... BUT One huge thing I'm grateful for is that I got my next financial aid check!! So I don't have to worry about making it until next month. (I still don't know how I'm going to manage to save enough money to move when I transfer, but --- that's barely even on my radar at the moment... yk how it is )

I wouldn't have gotten one, except I no longer have anyone else I can rely on in case my kids get sick / hurt / whatever at school ~ the last one finally told me, "this is getting ridiculous, I'll just buy you one and pay your bill on it" -- and there's no way I could let him do that, because he's the type of person to use that as an excuse to get into all my finances, personal phone bills, etc. SO ~ hence why I shelled out way to freaking much money for a basic phone with the cheapest plan. Ergh.

Anyhow. :
Old 10-27-2007, 02:48 PM

OK, I still can't figure out how to multi-quote so let me just give hugs to all of you mamas that are struggling right now. Life stuff can be such a PITA sometimes.

DH did the budget last night and it looks like we're pretty broke again. It sucks never being able to get ahead. But I suppose things could be worse...
Old 10-27-2007, 03:15 PM

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Welcome new moms!

Ediesmom... just remember RICH does NOT = Out of debt, happy or better than you.

For all you know those little girls may think you are the greatest thing ever and wish they could live with you!

Maybe you will be able to get the gift in December.

Mamamoo.... BTDT How are you doing today?

My hubby's well paying contract will be ending next month, so we are not sure if he is going to look for a new one, do school again, or go back to FT self employed again.

Ooh and a near $500 per MONTH student loan repayments starts Dec/Jan. :

That's exciting.

Three things I am grateful for:

1.) That I have gifts for my middle son's upcoming bday.

2.) We have food and it's even yummy.

3.) That I won't need to pull out my "big" purse anytime soon. I did that ALOT when I was a kid/teen... too embarressed to ask family for help and I was alone alot.

More {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} to anyone I missed!

Anyone have any goals for November?

Resistance is futile Matey
Old 10-27-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura_Kitten View Post
I just spent a ridiculous amount of money getting a cell phone because the company requires an insanely huge deposit, because my credit rating is so low ~~ I drained my savings and most of what I had left from my last financial aid check to cover it... BUT One huge thing I'm grateful for is that I got my next financial aid check!! So I don't have to worry about making it until next month. (I still don't know how I'm going to manage to save enough money to move when I transfer, but --- that's barely even on my radar at the moment... yk how it is )

I wouldn't have gotten one, except I no longer have anyone else I can rely on in case my kids get sick / hurt / whatever at school ~ the last one finally told me, "this is getting ridiculous, I'll just buy you one and pay your bill on it" -- and there's no way I could let him do that, because he's the type of person to use that as an excuse to get into all my finances, personal phone bills, etc. SO ~ hence why I shelled out way to freaking much money for a basic phone with the cheapest plan. Ergh.
Do you have a day or so that you can cancel for a refund? If so I HIGHLY recommend getting a Tracfone, they are the prepaid cells and they rock. It's all DH & I have ever had. No contract or credit check required. If you have a Walmart around (I imagine Target, Radio Shack, etc also sell them...) the phone itself should run you about $40'ish. We get the 1 yr of service/ doubler card for $100. That comes with a bunch of minutes. I'm still using my minutes from last year & I'm about to need to get a new card in a couplmonths. DH, who uses his phone constantly, gets a $20 card for 120 min (but really 240 since it's doubled!) every 3-4 months or so. I figured & it's about $20/mo for both of us and we use the phones all we want. We're not scrimping on minutes or anything.

Anyway, if you have a grace period & can pull out of the contract without loosing a lot of $$$ you might want to look into them.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle View Post
Anyone have any goals for November?
(1) Finish up 2-3 sections on my MT training.
(2) Get the garage cleaned (currently our storage area...)
(3) Get organized for Christmas -- start making presents, buy a few things here and there are the budget allows, scour our storage for good stuff to regift...
(4) Finish winterizing our house before it snows.
(5) Start getting up at DD2's last waking (about 5am) and exercise, do my Bible study, prep for the day, etc while everyone else is still sleeping.

User Tag List