"Lower Income Moms" October 2007 Support - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 384 Old 10-12-2007, 01:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sweeties1Angel View Post
Yay, I got my new job! I have to go in Monday morning to fill out paperwork and do my drug test. I'll be a nursing assistant starting at $7.50, then when I'm certified I'll go up to $8.25. Sadly, that's considered decent pay for my town I'll also be able to get health insurance and I'll be on day shift.
Glad to hear about the new job!!!
#122 of 384 Old 10-12-2007, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyLizards View Post
Little celebrations of the day:
- found good, affordable babysitter for dd for two days a week, while I'm in school
- found a good paying job through school for weekends
- made a yummy, cheap dinner

Disappontment of the day:
- apartment complex manager told me I have to take down any outside Halloween decorations including window clings. They want all of the aparements to be uniform. I'm really pissed about this, actually.
How dumb is that???!
#123 of 384 Old 10-12-2007, 07:30 PM

Hey, welcome back, mrskennedy!

Anyone have fun, inexpensive plans for the weekend? I think dd's going to spend most of tomorrow with her father and his family and I am going to do lots of homework (yeah, that's the plan anyway....or I might just sleep all day!)There are some really cute, free events coming up at the library over the next couple of weeks that I hope to take dd to. Nothing this weekend though.

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#124 of 384 Old 10-12-2007, 11:43 PM

Congrats to those who have found jobs this week! Yay!

{{{HUGS}}} to those who are eeking it out until the end of the month.

As for me, I had my "group interview" at Kohl's - and it really was just that. About 16 of us shoved in a small (hot) room - what a varied group of people! They asked questions of each person and we had to respond in front of the group. It was interesting - I am an easy interview-ee and it was interesting for me to see how others can struggle with public speaking or just talking about themselves. Also - it amazed me how sloppy some people dress for an interview. I didn't care that it was a p/t retail position - I went in my black suit! One other person wore something sort of like a suit (more like pull-on pants with an oversized shirt, but it matched and looked presentable - more than I can say for some others that were there in dirty ripped jeans!).

So - I am pretty certain I will be hired. They are calling references this week.

Keep your fingers crossed for me - this will help us in two ways - first, additional income. Second, an employee discount on that I can use for aout 85-90% of our holiday gifts!
#125 of 384 Old 10-12-2007, 11:47 PM

About the class rant: I had to work with a girl that was CONSTANTLY ranting about sh!t like that in my chemistry class, my second semester in college... finally I got in her face, explaining that *I* was a working student mother, and that I worked my butt off and was poor and still couldn't get aid, and then went on to explain to her how the system REALLY works... and by the end of the several-hour-long class, she had shut up. I never heard another put-down on poor people from her again.

Update on me personally ~ last night I woke up with excruciating, and terrifying, meningitis type symptoms... went to the ER after about an hour trying to find someone to take the kids for me while I was there and all the while fighting off the fear that I was about to start having seizures.... found out that it's a similar type of virus but not meningitis and that apparently there's been an outbreak of it in my county recently (the ER was flooded). And in addition to the virus I also have a massive sinus / head infection.... so the doctor loaded me up with painkillers for my headache and antibiotics for my infection and sent me home.

I was puking all morning. I wish I had someone who could take the kids when this happens. I felt terrible having to leave them be while I totally crashed in bed all freaking day today, but then again, there's not much I can do in the way of attachment parenting when I'm going between horrifying pain and puking, and passed-out asleep exhaustion. :
#126 of 384 Old 10-13-2007, 12:00 AM

]

#127 of 384 Old 10-13-2007, 01:08 AM

Oh no! I hope you're feeling better Aura Kitten! That sounds so scary. Being sick is one of the most frightening things to me as a single parent. What do you do? And my two-year-old just does not get that I am not being mean because I am too busy vomiting to play with her. It's rough.

Hugs to CaliMommie, too. I actually read that post or maybe a different one but it mentioned that yesterday. How scary. Anytime a hospital is involved it scares me, really. I hope he starts feeling better soon, that sounds really painful and miserable.

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#128 of 384 Old 10-14-2007, 05:24 PM

CaliMommi I read your other thread. I hope he is continuing to recover.
#129 of 384 Old 10-14-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura_Kitten View Post
About the class rant: I had to work with a girl that was CONSTANTLY ranting about sh!t like that in my chemistry class, my second semester in college... finally I got in her face, explaining that *I* was a working student mother, and that I worked my butt off and was poor and still couldn't get aid, and then went on to explain to her how the system REALLY works... and by the end of the several-hour-long class, she had shut up. I never heard another put-down on poor people from her again.
If I were Queen of the World (and it's probably a good thing I'm not ) I would wish for everyone to have to go spend a full day waiting around and filling out paperwork at the nearest social services office and see how "really easy" it is to "mooch off the system".

But I'm feeling evil today. And I think AF is coming.
#130 of 384 Old 10-14-2007, 05:52 PM

Can I join? If you want to know my situation, just ask.

I'm grateful....
*That it's a 3 pay-day month, so I'll have "extra" cash and be able to start buying things for the baby.
*That I got a raise and am now making what I was told I would when I was hired(9 months ago!) so things might be getting a little easier.

Goals for the month...
* Get medicaid for the baby, as I just found out my insurance will not cover him.
* Pay down my CCs with one of the "extra" paychecks.

And If all goes as planned...yeah, right!
* Start saving for maternity leave.

Mama to 01/2008 and anxiously awaiting due July 2011
#131 of 384 Old 10-14-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseMomme View Post
If I were Queen of the World (and it's probably a good thing I'm not ) I would wish for everyone to have to go spend a full day waiting around and filling out paperwork at the nearest social services office and see how "really easy" it is to "mooch off the system".

But I'm feeling evil today.
That sounds like a good idea to me! It sucks enough to need the help & have to jump through the hoops to get it without people saying how "easy" it is. :

#132 of 384 Old 10-15-2007, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMommie View Post
It has been a very long, difficult week for us here. I posted about it in this thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=765392
I just don't have the energy to type out the whole story again Short version: my boyfriend has some severe health issues going on, has been out of work for a week, had oral surgery today, more scheduled for next week. :
I'm sorry CaliMommie! Hugs.
#133 of 384 Old 10-15-2007, 03:05 AM

Quote:

For sure!!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#134 of 384 Old 10-15-2007, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

best idea ever. oh and i want people to have to live off foodstamps and see how much "pop and other junk food they can afford"

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#135 of 384 Old 10-15-2007, 12:59 PM

Aurakitten!! How scary! But at least you don't have meningitis!!

We spent the weekend at home....went to the park a few times. Dh went to the library to work on a paper, and I actually got him to replace the grout around the toilet and tub! Yeah! It looks SOOO much better.

Ds did not sleep well at all this weekend, which sucked. I don't know what is going on with him.

Found out that dh can get some student loans, which is helpful although we are already in a buttload of debt, so it sucks to take on more.

Also, I got my fin. aid app in, but we didn't sign the tax forms (printed 'em off the computer) and didn't include the W2s, even though they have the damn tax forms with ALL the numbers right there. Ugh.

Also, got the stupid food stamps app off. Dear me, how much crap do they need to know about my life? And for all the forms they want, don't you think they could provide a bigger envelope? Sheesh. And you know, I'll bet we are turned down. :

I also don't want to be at work, because I am working on a computer program that is NOT working (I have been fighting with this for MONTHS) and I am not a computer programmer and I just don't want to do it anymore. Oh, and I'm supposed to be writing a literature review and it's the most boring thing EVER.

Sigh. I'm gloomy today. :
#136 of 384 Old 10-15-2007, 07:04 PM

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Cali & Aura}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Welcome new moms!!!!!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs to everyone}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Resistance is futile Matey
#137 of 384 Old 10-15-2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:

Oh God, please?!? Can we please? Staying on assistance is absolutely more work than being employed. And there's nothing like the fun of having your family's safety and ability to stay fed and clothed totally up to some social worker who is having a bad day.
#138 of 384 Old 10-15-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather View Post
Oh God, please?!? Can we please? Staying on assistance is absolutely more work than being employed. And there's nothing like the fun of having your family's safety and ability to stay fed and clothed totally up to some social worker who is having a bad day.

I just got a notice, the day after I was in the hospital, that said my family is being taken off of aid and food stamps ~ we got one of those form letters, with the "because of..." section BLANK. I called my worker, who wasn't there because they're never there Friday through Sunday.... and I am REALLY HOPING I hear back from her *asap* because.... I don't know what I'm going to do without that.
#139 of 384 Old 10-15-2007, 11:36 PM

Aura~ That's terrible! And no explanation? I hope you get it figured out quickly! And I hope you're feeling better.

#140 of 384 Old 10-15-2007, 11:44 PM

Oh no Aura!! That's terrible. Hopefully it was just a mistake and even though a huge PITA, they will reinstate you quickly. I hope you get through to someone that can help.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make a couple hundred bucks in a relatively short period of time (like a few weeks)? I was just doing some math and there is no way that I'm going to be able to afford everything until I get the rest of my financial aid from school - and I have no family who can give me a loan, either. I'm not sure I really have anything to sell, just some too-small clothes of dd's and maybe some books. Actually I might have some cds too. Should I have a garage sale? I think I'll still need more money than a garage sale could possibly provide. I'm thinking I need about $350. Any creative ideas are welcome!

#141 of 384 Old 10-15-2007, 11:45 PM

I've received notices so many times that I didn't return XYZ form. Well, I never received XYZ form. Or, better yet, I receive it after my notice that benefits will end. And that was just for medicaid.
#142 of 384 Old 10-15-2007, 11:48 PM

Thanks, Lanky and Cali.
I'm not really feeling great but I'm feeling much better. I've finally stopped throwing up so much. I have a doctor's appointment this thursday so.... I don't know, maybe I'll finally get some answers.

Quote:
Oh no Aura!! That's terrible. Hopefully it was just a mistake and even though a huge PITA, they will reinstate you quickly. I hope you get through to someone that can help.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make a couple hundred bucks in a relatively short period of time (like a few weeks)? I was just doing some math and there is no way that I'm going to be able to afford everything until I get the rest of my financial aid from school - and I have no family who can give me a loan, either. I'm not sure I really have anything to sell, just some too-small clothes of dd's and maybe some books. Actually I might have some cds too. Should I have a garage sale? I think I'll still need more money than a garage sale could possibly provide. I'm thinking I need about $350. Any creative ideas are welcome!

I'm not sure how you feel about this but, Artist's Models usually pay fairly well - just make sure you will get paid THAT DAY and not on a pay claim if you need the money asap. Look through the phone book and call any local studios and colleges, especially art colleges. Nude modeling pays VERY well for a very short amount of time (( some of the studios around here were paying $70-80 dollars for a 2.5 hr session )) and you can get tips, as well. And, you don't have to "look like a model" ~ they want people who look REAL.

That, along with a garage sale, should help you out....

Good luck!!
#143 of 384 Old 10-15-2007, 11:59 PM

Hmm....that also might be a way to deal with my insecurity about my body....or it might make it worse. It's definitely a good idea. Thanks!

Glad you're feeling better, even if just a bit!

#144 of 384 Old 10-16-2007, 12:03 AM

I've donated plasma too, not the funnest thing in the world to do, but not horrible either.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#145 of 384 Old 10-16-2007, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post
best idea ever. oh and i want people to have to live off foodstamps and see how much "pop and other junk food they can afford"
So after working for an organic grocery store for a month or so, I have to say I find it fascinating that our registers show us what food stamps will cover and not cover. Also when someone uses their EBT it shows their remaining balance on the slip. At the beginning of October is when I saw the most use of EBT but I guess thats because most people get theirs?

I am curious too, are foodstamps a set amount? Meaning even if I have no income I'd get the same as someone who might have some income coming in?
#146 of 384 Old 10-16-2007, 01:12 AM

No, food stamps vary based on your income, certain assets (I think), and how many they will be feeding. I'm not completely sure how they figure out the amounts, but when I was working I got more food stamps, because they gave me a child care deduction, now that I'm "just" a student I guess I'm not supposed to have child care costs (yeah...I wish).
What so you mean that you can see what they cover and not? What don't they cover? (Yeah, I get food stamps but have no idea exactly what I can and can't get with them....such helpful people at DCF to assist me with this.)

I think I'm going to look into waitressing. It would mean that dd would have to be watched by someone (prob. fraternal grandpa or uncle) at night until maybe late, but it could be just nights adn weekends and would mean I can pay all of my bills without having a heart attack every month. I'm regretting buyingthis computer, even though it's pretty much a necessity for my online classes. I'm wondering if I could have done without.

#147 of 384 Old 10-16-2007, 01:29 AM
DBZ

I have a dilemia that maybe you guys can help me with. I'm pretty low income...food stamps, etc. I'm 19 weeks pregnant and thought I found hte perfect maternity/birth option for me. I was seeing a midwife to deliver at a hospital. The problem there is that I'd have to agree to have an epidural catheder put in place, so they can have the anethisia guy on hand "just in case".

I find that very unacceptable so I am dropping them after my u/s. My other options aren't so easy though. I could go to a midwife and deliver at her birthing center, but it's 45 minutes away and I'd have to pay out of pocket. They are willing to work out a payment plan and all, but that $50-$100 (amount not set) is a lot to me. The finance person told me that the MWs end up making $10-15/hour, but what she doesn't realize that $50-100 could be 10-20% of someone's monthly income.

My other option is to see an OB who is of a midwife mindset and has a mw on staff. My medicaid would cover her, but she is 50 minutes away according to the computer and she is in Cambridge which means I could hit some serious traffic going in. I'd be a little worried about having the baby in the car LOL. I'd probably be paying a little more in gas to go here and would probably pay to park, but at least I wouldn't be writing a check every month for several years. This OB is very well regarded even here on MDC.

My cheapest option is to go back to my old OB and fight tooth and nail to get vbac #3

thanks for any help you might offer

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#148 of 384 Old 10-16-2007, 01:34 AM
DBZ

Most people get their benefits at the beginning of the month. Here in Mass it can be anywhere from the 2nd to the 10th. It's detemined by the last number of your social LOL.

You can get almost everything on FS. When I am buying something I am unsure of I bring real money just in case. I recently discovered that I could buy potted herbs. I can also get a salad at the salad bar. I can't buy hot, ready to eat food though.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#149 of 384 Old 10-16-2007, 01:35 AM

Quote:
I think I'm going to look into waitressing. It would mean that dd would have to be watched by someone (prob. fraternal grandpa or uncle) at night until maybe late, but it could be just nights adn weekends and would mean I can pay all of my bills without having a heart attack every month. I'm regretting buyingthis computer, even though it's pretty much a necessity for my online classes. I'm wondering if I could have done without.
You should seriously look into doing house/office cleaning. Offices would have the benefit of usually being in the evenings or weekends. I did this to put myself through college & highly recommend it. I didn't have kids at the time, but I've heard of people getting cleaning jobs where they could take their kids along so that's a possibility. Of course, only you know if your girlie would let you actually work or not. If not I guess you'd need a sitter, but the hours are real short & you can set them for yourself by picking clients whose schedules work with your's.

I made $30/wk per house. An average house will take about 3 hrs when you're first starting, but once you get things caught up and get a system down it's more like 1.5-2 hrs....so that's a pretty decent hourly rate. Oh...and it was under the table...so I *really* made that... Obviously you'd charge more for a McMansion. Anyway, I did like 4 houses a week, which took about 8-10 hours, and made me $120/wk. Clients come and go so there's some variation in that. Sometimes I'd have 5 houses, sometimes only 3. I had the clients supply their own cleaning products, but I bet you'd be able to charge more by saying you supply your own. Also, this was 10 years ago, so depending where you live & other factors you may want to charge more than $30/wk.

I advertised by putting up fliers around local stores, campus, hospital, etc. Also, I took out a small ad in the "situations wanted" section of the paper. I'm so old that there wasn't stuff like Craigslist to advertise on, but any online stuff like that for your community would be good too. Every area has their doctors/lawyers/professionals who hire out for housework. The trick is just finding the jobs!
#150 of 384 Old 10-16-2007, 01:46 AM

That really is a great idea, janerose! I wonder if I could get more clients if I say I will offer all-organic, non-toxic cleaning as well. I actually like cleaning a lot, so this could even be rewarding (in a way, not that I would get to enjoy the clean environment, though). I'm going to talk to a friend of my father's who had a cleaning business of her own a few years ago. Maybe she knows of some resources or something. Thanks!

(I have no idea why I'm up so late on the computer. Time to turn it off and save some electricity....)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page