Forum Jump: 

Old 10-19-2007, 02:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyLizards View Post
Thanks, momyddeville!

So....midterm grades were posted and I have As in both of my current classes! I'm pretty thrilled because I missed about half of the class meetings thanks to my personal drama of the past month or so. I have 2 online classes that start next week that I'm excited about- both dealing with childhood and educational psychology.
Congrats on the grades! Great job!

As for the cleaning, I'd def. pay someone $30 (or more!)/wk to clean with organic products... If I had the money, of course! I hate cleaning myself; don't know many who like it. So hats off to you, LL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2007, 02:25 AM

Heidi~ I'm sorry, that's awful

Old 10-19-2007, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonrisaa29 View Post
So after working for an organic grocery store for a month or so, I have to say I find it fascinating that our registers show us what food stamps will cover and not cover. Also when someone uses their EBT it shows their remaining balance on the slip. At the beginning of October is when I saw the most use of EBT but I guess thats because most people get theirs?

I am curious too, are foodstamps a set amount? Meaning even if I have no income I'd get the same as someone who might have some income coming in?
From what I understand, there's a maximum per family size. But you can get less than the max, depending on your income.
I've been reading articles lately that say the average FS recipient gets only $21/wk! :
Old 10-19-2007, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather View Post
Oh God, please?!? Can we please? Staying on assistance is absolutely more work than being employed. And there's nothing like the fun of having your family's safety and ability to stay fed and clothed totally up to some social worker who is having a bad day.
: And you know what else I bet? I bet this group of mamas is made of some of the strongest women ever! Seriously! you all...!
Old 10-19-2007, 02:44 AM

=

Old 10-19-2007, 03:45 AM

Just popping in for a quick ~

Also: if you get the chance, watch the movie "Our Sons." OMG it made me cry, but it is so absolutely lovely. Granted, I watched it while I "should" have been studying for the next major exams I have coming up next week.... but still, having those couple of hours of losing myself in an intense story really made me feel better....
Old 10-19-2007, 03:24 PM

I've been lurking on this thread all week trying to decide if I should join. DH & I actually argue over weather we are low income or not. I say we are, he says we aren't. Anyway, after yesterday I decided that this probably is the place for me. We thought we had won a housing lottery for affordable housing, but then found out we will only get it if two other families decline. Also, I had the realization yesterday that I'm officially that tired woman you see on the bus. You know when pre-motherhood you'd see a woman on the bus w/ a kid/kids in-tow and just think she looked drained? Yep, I'm her now. So, all of that was just a really long way to say I think I could really use the support of this thread.

Oh, I'm a SAHM to an 11 month old DD. I live in Boston where everything is ridiculously overpriced. We live a very simple life, mostly b/c we have to. I'm tempted to complain b/c things have been stressful lately, but I like the gratitude theme so I'll give that a try. For some reason right now I'm feeling really grateful for our health insurance. W/ all of the news about CHIP lately, I'm reminded of how lucky we are to have healthcare. DH's job may not pay so well, but we pay ZERO for our health insurance each month. That really is a great thing.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:46 PM

Just a quick pick-me-up message from my house. My DH came to me and told me that we succeed in cutting our credit card spending by about 38% this month. This is great news in that we aren't creating as much new debt. Bad news is that we were unable to pay off last month's full balance owed (we have never carried a balance before - so this is big for us) so we are still chipping away at that.

So - we are still in a position that we don't love - but headed in the right direction. It will take a few months - and it will be hard over the holidays - but we're getting there.

I am still waiting to hear back from the retail job that I interviewed for. They called me on Wednesday because I accidently transposed a phone number for one of my references and they wanted the right number. So I know they were calling references just two days ago. I am hoping that they call soon so that I can get trained and get started. The little extra money would help - as would the discount.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthgirl View Post
I've been lurking on this thread all week trying to decide if I should join. DH & I actually argue over weather we are low income or not. I say we are, he says we aren't. Anyway, after yesterday I decided that this probably is the place for me. We thought we had won a housing lottery for affordable housing, but then found out we will only get it if two other families decline. Also, I had the realization yesterday that I'm officially that tired woman you see on the bus. You know when pre-motherhood you'd see a woman on the bus w/ a kid/kids in-tow and just think she looked drained? Yep, I'm her now. So, all of that was just a really long way to say I think I could really use the support of this thread.

Oh, I'm a SAHM to an 11 month old DD. I live in Boston where everything is ridiculously overpriced. We live a very simple life, mostly b/c we have to. I'm tempted to complain b/c things have been stressful lately, but I like the gratitude theme so I'll give that a try. For some reason right now I'm feeling really grateful for our health insurance. W/ all of the news about CHIP lately, I'm reminded of how lucky we are to have healthcare. DH's job may not pay so well, but we pay ZERO for our health insurance each month. That really is a great thing.
having health ins. rocks. nice to meet you earthgirl.

i am grateful for getting insurance from the state. minnesota rocks in so many ways one of which is its social service network is incredible (not perfect) but really really good.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
Old 10-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Banned

I don't get my new job afterall They called today to schedule orientation--for EVENING shift. After I applied for day shift and was specifically told I'd be working day shift. I'm so tired of being dicked around by people. I'm not working evening shift in a nursing home. It's just not going to happen--all those people wanting to go to bed at the same time. Not to mention that I need day shift so I can see my children.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sweeties1Angel View Post
I don't get my new job afterall They called today to schedule orientation--for EVENING shift. After I applied for day shift and was specifically told I'd be working day shift. I'm so tired of being dicked around by people. I'm not working evening shift in a nursing home. It's just not going to happen--all those people wanting to go to bed at the same time. Not to mention that I need day shift so I can see my children.
I'm sorry to hear this. How disappointed you must be

Old 10-19-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sweeties1Angel View Post

I'm sorry.

Have you all seen this? -- http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/wayof....ap/index.html

At least we're not alone...
Old 10-19-2007, 11:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear this. How disappointed you must be
Eh, not so much. It's aggravating but now I have nothing to hold me back from going the University in the spring.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:36 PM

I am sorry you didn't get your job.

I think you need to move near me - I find TONS of day-shift jobs! And I am looking for something in the evening - when DH can watch the kids. Not much luck for me.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamoo View Post
Yeah, sometimes it takes a long time to get in. We got I think $385 last year, which was so helpful...I have no clue what they will think/do this year because I have no proof of income. T pays cs directly to me and doesn't currently have an order. We just got weatherized end of last winter! I totally forgot about that! But...my bill for gas/electric was $130 all summer, so I'm no holding my breath. I have to pay wsg too...ugh.
Do you put blankets over your windows? We did that last year when we had NO money to pay for heat, and it helped quite a bit. I took fleece blankets and just pinned them up. Didn't look so gorgeous, but I didn't care. I have LOTS of extra fleece if you want some to cover any size of windows. And I made wool socks and slippers and we all wore those last year.

I'll keep my ears open for more heat assistance info. I know someone at church got some last year, and they're definitely not low, low income. . . not as low as we were. I'll ask about it if someone mentions it.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:40 AM

Good idea Denice! I have never done that. I will have to try. I was bugging Travis to put that plastic stuff up last year but he never would, maybe I'll do that this year.
I'm sure I'll get the assisstance, well pretty sure. It'll help a lot. And when I posted that first post about it, I actually forgot that it was there. LOL

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
Old 10-20-2007, 04:23 PM

I don't remember which thread it was, but someone had mentioned a couple of books that they were enjoying. One was somthing about a house, glass house or something along those lines? And the other was something about a kitchen and being alone? I justneed something interesting to read. I'm getting ored with what I have.

We are just plugging along. My kids are loving school, but my oldest is struggling with math. This is their first year back at school (ages 9.5 and 5.5). Alexis, my oldest, is battling bronchitis right now. Its getting better though. I plan on applying for heating assistance this year. We haven't ever done that before. I need a SS card for my oldest though. And I've tried THREE times to prove her identity and NOTHING has been good enough. THe shot record wasn't good enough because it wasn't stamped by a doctor. UGH.

Dh's business is picking up speed, so thats been nice. Our cupboards are stuffed with food and I'm trying to do more from scratch cooking. So the food last. I went past a food pantry today and the line was out the door at a small little church. I felt so bad for those people.

We are going to be moving come july. We pay 1,110 a month in rent. Its crazy. LOVE the house, but we can be closer to school with less rent. Right now essentials is all we can pay. and thats a stretch.

I read everyday just not always in a position (read NAKing)to type anything out!!
Chandi

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
Old 10-20-2007, 07:24 PM

Good news here. I got my paper work back from DCF and have my maternity medicaid set up. I can now get in touch with my mw and get care started with her. Since she is working in a different group now and I'll need to get to know the back up OB. With my history it's pretty much a given we will have to get them to sign off on something or other at some point.

Another good thing is dh picked up a small job this weekend that will pay for us to take the kids to Boo at the Zoo. We would have had 2 very upset kids if they weren't able to go so the timing for this was great. Now we just have to hope I am recovered enough to walk around the zoo next weekend. We also stopped by Goodwill and picked up a nice lightweight Tigger costume for ds to wear. I had been trying to make a monkey costume work, but for $1.99 I couldn't pass this up. It also gives me more energy to put towards dd's dress, getting better and work stuff.

Now my big concerns are just finding cool weather clothes for both kids as it's cooling off early this year in FL. I'm also having a not so fun internal debate about my maternity clothes making it through this pg. They are starting to show a ton of wear and dh just got some huge stains on a couple shirts I usually love that he does the laundry and I don't have to run to the laundromat, but he does not do the best job checking the machines. I'm guessing something was left in a washer or dryer that got all over some of our things. Big dark blue spots on the front of a light colored shirt are hard to hide.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
Old 10-20-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursingnaturalmom View Post
I don't remember which thread it was, but someone had mentioned a couple of books that they were enjoying. One was somthing about a house, glass house or something along those lines? And the other was something about a kitchen and being alone? I justneed something interesting to read. I'm getting ored with what I have.
That was me! The one book is called "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls, and the other is called "Alone in the kitchen with an eggplant". I also just read this book called "Skin" by Ted Dekker which is just pure escapist fun. It's a thriller, but I didn't find it scary at all (I don't really like scary things anymore). I read it in about 2 days! It didn't help that I was really irritated with dh and just wanted to escape!

I've just been lurking too. I've been feeling blah and not exercising or eating well, which doesn't help me not feel blah. I'm just worried....dh is applying for jobs, but not really getting anywhere, and he gets discouraged SO quickly. Ugh. Plus, he let his prescription of antidepressants run out and I don't think the VA stocks that, so I think he HAS to get it through the mail, which means it will take that much longer. I swear, WHY is he unable to realize that if he only has a few left, it might be time to pick up the phone and renew the Rx?
Old 10-20-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_kristina View Post
Big dark blue spots on the front of a light colored shirt are hard to hide.
Have you thought of dying it all dark blue? Walmart sells Dylon in the craft section for like 99 cents a pack. They pretty much always have dark blue or black in stock. Another alternative would be tye dying it.

Congrats on getting your medicaid approved too. That's awesome! Good luck with your mw!
Old 10-20-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursingnaturalmom View Post
I justneed something interesting to read. I'm getting ored with what I have.
Don't know what genres you like, but my most recent reads from the library have been:
~ Anita Shreve -- Seaglass, Fortune's Rocks
~ Jan Karon -- the Mitford series, starting with "At Home in Mitford".
~ Frank Herbert -- Dune, Dune Messiah
~ back issues of fav magazines
~ Anne Rice -- Cry to Heaven
~ John Grisham -- A Painted House, The Testament, The Broker
~ John Le Carre -- The Constant Gardener
~ John Taylor Gatto -- Dumbing Us Down
Old 10-20-2007, 08:56 PM

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to join this thread with all of you, I think I fit in quite well here.

I'm Susan, married to Mike for almost 5 years, and we have 2 little girls - Bethany is 3 and Abby is a few weeks shy of being 2. Money is always tight in our house - DH is currently laid off, he was in the drywall business but doesn't qualify for unemployment. He does have a job interview on Monday with a different company, so I am hoping he will soon be employed again. I work part time for my dad, but our primary income right now is from a website I own.

We're in Minnesota - so getting ready for the colder weather that will soon be arriving.

Anyways, I look forward to chatting with all the wonderful mamas on here!!
Old 10-20-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskennedy View Post
From what I understand, there's a maximum per family size. But you can get less than the max, depending on your income.
I've been reading articles lately that say the average FS recipient gets only $21/wk! :

There is a maximum per family. But you can get as little as $5 a month depending on income and since it isn't a time limit program like cash assistance, you may as well take it, kwim? And the amount is not the same for every family, income as well as expenses makes it different for everyone.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyLizards View Post
No, food stamps vary based on your income, certain assets (I think), and how many they will be feeding. I'm not completely sure how they figure out the amounts, but when I was working I got more food stamps, because they gave me a child care deduction, now that I'm "just" a student I guess I'm not supposed to have child care costs (yeah...I wish).
What so you mean that you can see what they cover and not? What don't they cover? (Yeah, I get food stamps but have no idea exactly what I can and can't get with them....such helpful people at DCF to assist me with this.)

I think I'm going to look into waitressing. It would mean that dd would have to be watched by someone (prob. fraternal grandpa or uncle) at night until maybe late, but it could be just nights adn weekends and would mean I can pay all of my bills without having a heart attack every month. I'm regretting buyingthis computer, even though it's pretty much a necessity for my online classes. I'm wondering if I could have done without.

Mama, you can buy anything usually that is not prepared already with food stamps and no paper products. For example, you can buy chicken and roast it, but I don't believe you can buy a roasted chicken from the deli.

Hope ya'll don't mind me jumping in once in a while - I was a welfare case manager until last year so I have quite a bit of information. I love lurking in this thread for good ideas for our family.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Can I join you mama's and whine/vent for a minute? I'm freaking out here, thanks to our screw up of a mail lady my life is about to be ruined, My fin aid check from school was mailed last Friday, it should have been here by now. Our mail lady can't read and she's even been known to drop mail on the ground and leave it there. My neighbors deliver mail when they feel like it, one neighbor had my dd's medical records for a month before bringing them to me. I've gotten mail for up to 8 different neighbors on any given day. Yes, mail delivery is that bad out here. We complain enough and they give us a new mail person, I'm sorry but that person is just as big a screw up and we get a new one every couple of months. That said my car payment is now 30 days late, I'm worried the repo man is going to show up at any moment (no warnings from the bank but do they always warn you?) the rent is 3 weeks late which I'm not so worried about, I've been here 4 years, they know I'll pay. If the car gets repo'd though were SCREWED, we live in a small town where if you don't have a car you're in deep doo doo and with my kids special needs having a working car is #1 priority. Which reminds me, the car is now making a funny vibrating noise near the wheels inside the engines and I don't have the money to get it checked out. It sounds like something is lose, praying the engine doesn't fall out or something. Were supposed to be moving soon and without that check everything is on hold, I can't even go get more produce boxes to pack in because the car is on empty. The 1st months rent is already paid along with the deposit and if where not there to sign and move in we lose everything including the $ already paid on the place. We have multiple out of town Dr visits this week and I have no clue how were going to pay (gas $) for them right now. I need to wash clothes, I packed all the sheets up except for 1 set for each bed and my 7 yr old wet the bed last night (hasn't done that in at least 6 months) and I can't afford to wash right now and its cold, windy and raining out so I don't want to drag the kids to my mothers to do laundry. That's sad when I don't have $2 to wash laundry I'm exhausted, worn out and just feeling blah, don't have the energy to go cook anything, the kids are cranky and not feeling well and the baby is wanting to nurse non stop and making me feel resentful. I'm down to half a bag of sposies and I've asked a friend for my diaper covers back because I need them and she keeps forgetting and coming up with excuses but this is the 3rd week I've had to buy sposies and its really putting a strain on an already tight budget and its $10 in gas to go to her house in the 1st place (usually stop by on the way to the hospital with the kids). The utilities/internet and the phone are past due, I wake up every morning wondering if everything is still on and this check is now a over month later then is should have been, it got delayed by 2 weeks because my sitter decided something she has to do was more important (it really wasn't) so I had to reschedule the loan workshop appt and the next one was 2 weeks away then the school took there time processing the paperwork, the lender disbursed the funds over a week late and the school took over 3 weeks to mail the check and your not allowed to pick it up period. Its been 8 days since it was mailed and it should have been here in 2-3 days tops. I know that idiot mail person put it in the wrong box and if its not here by next Friday I have to let the school know so they can put a stop payment on the check and reissue another one which takes another 2-3 weeks! By then the car WILL BE repo'd! This move HAS TO HAPPEN! For a whole bunch of reasons, one of which is so I can find work because there is nothing here. I found us a decent place in a decent sized city were I should be able to find a decent job, especially since I can't rely on school fin aid the next 3 semesters since I'll only be taking 1-2 classes at a time doing the pre-reqs for the RT program.

ugh, wishing the magic money fairy would come by and wave her magic wand and say here's your check! Now go make something of yourself! yeah I know, wishful thinking. This could have all been avoided if the dang PO would just hire people who can read and actually do read the addresses on the mail. If you got this far then thank you, I just needed to get this out before I started screaming in frustration

Seriously?
Old 10-21-2007, 02:02 AM

Old 10-21-2007, 02:51 AM
DBZ

Oh I just want to send hugs to the various people who need them. It seems like the crap never ends. We all need to win the lottery LOL!

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

Old 10-21-2007, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
Oh I just want to send hugs to the various people who need them. It seems like the crap never ends. We all need to win the lottery LOL!
: The lottery would be nice...

Oh wait... Then we'd have to pay taxes on it, and so we'd only end up with half! :

, mamas!
Old 10-21-2007, 04:40 AM

Satori! I wish I could say something to make you feel better... But I can't think of anything Just know you have support here!
Old 10-21-2007, 04:43 AM

Hi Susan!
Keeping my fingers crossed for you, hoping all goes well with DH's interview! :HUG

User Tag List