"Lower Income Moms" October 2007 Support - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 384 Old 10-23-2007, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welsome spring978!! I hope you got some great deals at the thrift stores!

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#242 of 384 Old 10-23-2007, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I had a mixed day but way better then yesterday.

The bad:
My student loan check still hasn't come and its now been 10 days since it was mailed from 50 miles away.

The rent is still unpaid and ummm so are all the utilities

Were down to the last roll of TP and I got about $1.50 left

The good:
Got the car payment made, thanks to a generous loan (and a lecture like this was my fault) from my parents so the repo man won't be showing up. Also learned the bank doesn't repo until 90 days and I was only at 33 days, the collections guy was full of it. I missed a lot of sleep worrying the repo guys were gonna take the car in the middle of the night or something for nothing.

Were moving soon and can't without that check, my parents understand why I need to move and offered to loan me the money to make the move if its not here by then. (I already paid for the apt stuff, just needed money for the actual move)

Called to set up utilities and found out that we qualify for CARE (20% low income discount) and MEDICAL which will give us an extra 500kWh for electric and 25 therms for gas extra baseline due to the girls health issues.

Then I called to find out about internet becasue my classes are all online and holy crap! I got cable internet for a year for $20mo (I'm paying $50mo right now)

The car isn't making that sound as bad today (hoping what ever it was didn't just fall off)

My parents gave me $30 for gas (yeah, I will hear about this forever)

I made the firm decision to go back to work as soon as the move is finished and I actually feel good about it and think I have figured out childcare.

I found enough change to wash a load of clothes and my mom washed the sheets for me at her house.

I found out I can drop down to a lower cell phone plan without penalty

So the past 2 days royally sucked but today looked much better

Seriously?
#243 of 384 Old 10-23-2007, 10:51 PM

That's great, Satori. If only the freaking financial aid check would come now, right? As far as toilet paper goes...um....large purse + public restroom = TP for free. Seriously. And do it at Walmart or McDonald's - they can spare a roll or two. My upstanding citizen, all-around nice guy uncle just confessed to me that he has had to do this a few times when his family was just flat broke (his wife was a SAHM for years until recently) and he actually told his priest about doing it in confession and the priest told him "family has to come first". So...did I convince you? (I swear I'm not trying to corrupt you....)

My dd's father's family is soooo awesome. Seriously, I am sort of in awe of them right now. I am short for this month's rent until the rest of my financial aid comes, so I decided to have a garage sale to make some money. Well, they are donating things for me to sell, including a fairly new refrigerator. They say the money can go to my "rent fund". I am going to bake them a bunch of cookies because it's pretty much the only thing I can afford to do. Or maybe I oculd give them all massages....

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#244 of 384 Old 10-24-2007, 12:20 AM

OMG I'm so glad I'm not the only one here who's ever had to steal toilet paper.

And yes I know there are some mamas here at MDC who would say, "just make your own"... but when you already are coming home to a tub full of cloth diapers you have to hand-wash and hang dry, before you even start on making dinner and then homework.... well making your own toilet "paper" doesn't cut it.

/ rant
#245 of 384 Old 10-24-2007, 01:30 AM
DBZ

Oh I would have never thought about stealing tp LOL. I usually manage to bum a roll off of a freind, but I try to avoid all that by buying a 24 pack when my child support comes in. The local food pantry gives out a roll of TP when you go there. I have a few in a secret place for those emergency moments.

Aura, I can't believe you hand wash your diapers. You should get an award or something for that!

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#246 of 384 Old 10-24-2007, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
Oh I would have never thought about stealing tp LOL. I usually manage to bum a roll off of a freind, but I try to avoid all that by buying a 24 pack when my child support comes in. The local food pantry gives out a roll of TP when you go there. I have a few in a secret place for those emergency moments.

Aura, I can't believe you hand wash your diapers. You should get an award or something for that!
lol, I do the same thing, never would have occurred to me either to steal tp.

Seriously?
#247 of 384 Old 10-24-2007, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ View Post

USED TO not anymore, thank God!!!!!! My little one is 3 and a half now. And thankfully we are waaaay past the hand-washing cloth dipes stage. I'm not quite that poor anymore.

You know, that brings up that I need to be more grateful for the little things more often though.... seriously, I feel really down sometimes (like this morning, walking almost a mile uphill with my littlest one in tow and carrying a ridiculously heavy bag of textbooks and other work stuff, and bitching about how my life sucks) - no, my life doesn't suck. I have a world of things to be grateful for, to be happy about when I open my eyes in the morning and that puts a smile on my face when I think about them as I'm falling asleep at night.

My best friend and I do this thing where every night, we tell each other three things that made us happy that day. I think we should start something like that here, too.

My three:

1. having a great dialogue with my professor this afternoon
2. being almost done with my midterm work, and still having a week to finish them up
and
3. that I had enough money left over from my financial aid check to pay for the medication I've been needing.
#248 of 384 Old 10-24-2007, 04:26 PM

That is an awesome idea!!

Mine from yesterday:
1. We had a beautiful fall day(it was almost 70 degrees!!).
2. we went to the park with some friends.
3. Popcorn...we love popcorn. And had it last night for a snack, and my older kids made it.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#249 of 384 Old 10-24-2007, 05:05 PM

I discovered a "paper pantry" in my city, and though it was like pulling teeth : I did manage to score some TP and some paper towels (though I don't normally use paper towels....yet I just can't seem to fully jump into the family cloth thing . Thank goodness I don't have to go back there, they acted so put out. And it was at a church, too.

I've also gotten a roll or two (scratchy industrial stuff but better than nothing) from food pantries with each pick up.
#250 of 384 Old 10-24-2007, 06:39 PM

Woo hoo! 3 things:

Money! its not my check but I can afford to buy:

Toilet paper
Moving boxes (haven't had any luck finding them) for cheap at home depot
Gas money for dd's IVIG infusion tomorrow! (about $35 with gas and parking fee's)

oh yeah, the .69 cent 42oz coke from McD's I've been craving for a couple days:

Seriously?
#251 of 384 Old 10-24-2007, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Can I join you all? I"m a single mama to two with one on the way. I'm a waitress. I think I definitely qualify as "lower income!" Nice to meet a few mama's in my situation. I've just spent the better part of the last 20 minutes reading the last few pages of this thread and it's inspiring how you all are doing so much with so little! Kudos to you all! I'd love to hang out and chat!

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#252 of 384 Old 10-24-2007, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You guys are all playing into my worst fears... Yes my worst fear is running out of TP. I use to stock pile it but the stash has ran low. Glad to know there is a back up plan.

Well today sucked. My house flooded yet again. Thank GOD we rent. My first pay check has not arrived yet so it was a little stressful wondering if we would have enough money to live.

Heidi
#253 of 384 Old 10-24-2007, 08:44 PM

1. Not out of TP!
2. Sister watches DS so I can do MT training
3. Enough food to last a while
#254 of 384 Old 10-24-2007, 08:47 PM

Oh yeah! And I just got a crazy-looking, crazy huge purse from DH's grandma... Which means I can get (read: steal) more TP if need be... But I've never had to... yet.
#255 of 384 Old 10-24-2007, 08:49 PM

Satori, Heidi, and everyone else who needs them!!! Hi justmama... to you too!
#256 of 384 Old 10-24-2007, 08:52 PM

Congrats on having your DD now, nature!

Have you checked out hillbilly housewife (sp?) Don't know if you eat those things, but it's helped us in a pinch or 2... :
#257 of 384 Old 10-24-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
Thanks everyone!!

We currently have a no support order from 2002. Because I'm on SSDI, I have always had TANF for her anyway because we have shared custody AND shared residential which isn't usually the case. Usually one parent has residential and the other one visitation. I have both. So basically, according to everything.. MaineCare, housing, TANF, etc.. its looked like she's been living here full time all her life. School is the only thing that has to be changed.

He offered to give me money every month. I told him that wasn't my goal and he knows that. I said for now, anything he can give will help and if I need extra things or something.. as long as he can remember not to chew my head off, I'll ask him for help then. And he said that was fine. To just come to him if I need something and let him know, he'd be happy to help. (Literally his income is way.. way.. WAY more than mine low income status. Lets just say, I'm in the lowest bracket possible. .. wait.. is low income even IN a bracket? And he's in the highest. He's not even middle income.. he's waaaay above that. Unfortunately he lives outside his means so he always feel broke.)

So right now, I think I'll just keep it the way it is. Because.. having my daughter is so much more important to me than money. I know it will be tight.. but I will find a way. I will make this work. And hopefully he'll be generous if I need it. I think he might have really grown up a bit in the past 5 years. He already said if he needs to write something out, or sign paperwork for her school.. or something to show I have her now, he'll do it. So I imagine in the future if I really wanted to ammend the court papers or needed to.. it would be ok. Just for the moment.. I don't want to rock the boat. Make sense?

He's already letting her bring all her things here and all her clothes. I told him I could buy new school clothes (which really... it would hurt me financially.. BUT. like I said.. I will find a way) and he said no need to do that. She has a ton of clothes there, and she can bring them here.

How much more could I ask for???!

I'm so incredibly shocked still..
I understand where you're coming from... But the support isn't yours, it's your DD's. She deserves it, and you deserve to know it's there, when it's coming, and how much it will be. Maybe I watch too many court shows/custody battles, but not asking for/ordering support just sends off alarm bells for me.

Whatever you decide, all the best to you and DD!
#258 of 384 Old 10-24-2007, 09:09 PM

ediesmom
#259 of 384 Old 10-24-2007, 09:18 PM

Love the idea of cutting through the gloom a little with 3 things to be grateful for!

1) Mom sent me a BP gift card or I was going to be "grounded" for a while. 2) A friend watched our girls for free so we could go to a wedding
3) It rained today for the first time in forever

And sometimes when the cupboard is almost bare I come up with the yummiest things to tide us over until payday! Today it was split pea soup and challah bread!

-Vijay
#260 of 384 Old 10-24-2007, 11:11 PM

1. That I had a wonderful visit with my dr this evening (1.5 hrs!!!! ...... )
2. That KFC was affordable tonight...
and
3. I got an A on my last stats exam.
#261 of 384 Old 10-24-2007, 11:46 PM

1. No-one is in the hospital
2. I washed my van today so it looks pretty
3. I *almost* have my classes for next semester figured out!

to everyone else who needs them. It's so good to know that I have you ladies as "friends" who will support me when I need it. Thank you all!

#262 of 384 Old 10-24-2007, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskennedy View Post
I understand where you're coming from... But the support isn't yours, it's your DD's. She deserves it, and you deserve to know it's there, when it's coming, and how much it will be. Maybe I watch too many court shows/custody battles, but not asking for/ordering support just sends off alarm bells for me.

Whatever you decide, all the best to you and DD!
My dd still does have money for her. I have always received TANF in her name for her. That is state child support.

I know it probably doesn't make sense to others but.. having my daughter here with me is far more important than collecting child support. I will find a way to make it work.

Besides, as long as my ex follows through with all this... I truelly believe he is in a better place and he will not hesitate to help out. We've already done the 10 years of hating each other thing.. its time for a change.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#263 of 384 Old 10-24-2007, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh yeah! And I just got a crazy-looking, crazy huge purse from DH's grandma... Which means I can get (read: steal) more TP if need be... But I've never had to... yet.

Quote:
Satori, Heidi, and everyone else who needs them!!! Hi justmama... to you too!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMommie View Post
1. No-one is in the hospital
2. I washed my van today so it looks pretty
3. I *almost* have my classes for next semester figured out!

I am really on-egde this week and I think it is because Friday is the three year anniversary of my sister's death- and we still don't have a cause of death. I miss her so much!

to everyone else who needs them. It's so good to know that I have you ladies as "friends" who will support me when I need it. Thank you all!
YA on no hospital. I am sorry about your sister. How horrible for you that there is no cause of eath yet.

Heidi
#264 of 384 Old 10-24-2007, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

1. Grateful that we have running water and the damage was not bad to our house.

2. That ds is starting to feel better.

3. That I have a job that I can do from home.

Heidi
#265 of 384 Old 10-24-2007, 11:58 PM

Forgot to quote!

Nature~
In my state if you recieve TANF for a child they require you to file a case with the Dept. of Child Support Services. Once the case is filed they go after the non-custodial parent (whichever parent the child isn't living with) for the *full* amount of the child support order. If there isn't onne, they file one. They then keep the child support payments and mail you $50/month. They also charge 10% interest on any past due child support, even if payments are being made. That was part of the reason I stopped getting TANF. I do understand how you feel, though. My ex doesn't pay child support, and although I *try* to get it from him I sometimes feel it isn't worth the headache & I don't want to have to rely on his money anyway! I'm sure you will figure everything out, I am glad that you are going to get to have your daughter with you

#266 of 384 Old 10-25-2007, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
YA on no hospital. I am sorry about your sister. How horrible for you that there is no cause of death yet.
Thanks. I don't think we will ever have one. They investigated her fiancee (who I was very close to, thought of him like a brother), but his family is very wealthy & nothing ever came of it. I haven't seen my nephew (her son) since the funeral. He is 5 now.

#267 of 384 Old 10-25-2007, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMommie View Post
Thanks. I don't think we will ever have one. They investigated her fiancee (who I was very close to, thought of him like a brother), but his family is very wealthy & nothing ever came of it. I haven't seen my nephew (her son) since the funeral. He is 5 now.
I am so very sorry. My husband lost his brother 18 years ago yesterday. My son was born 17 years ago yesterday. Anyway, he still does not have any answer and has never gotten to see his nephew again. He was only 2 months old when his died died and he is now 18.

Heidi
#268 of 384 Old 10-25-2007, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
I am so very sorry. My husband lost his brother 18 years ago yesterday. My son was born 17 years ago yesterday. Anyway, he still does not have any answer and has never gotten to see his nephew again. He was only 2 months old when his died died and he is now 18.
I am so sorry. How sad for your husband (and you). My nephew is living with my sister's fiancee (his dad).

#269 of 384 Old 10-25-2007, 12:36 AM

for everyone...

and especially for Cali ...

I think maybe we're all coming up on that time of year that's so rough for those of us who have lost people we've loved..........
#270 of 384 Old 10-25-2007, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
We currently have a no support order from 2002. Because I'm on SSDI, I have always had TANF for her anyway because we have shared custody AND shared residential which isn't usually the case. Usually one parent has residential and the other one visitation. I have both. So basically, according to everything.. MaineCare, housing, TANF, etc.. its looked like she's been living here full time all her life. School is the only thing that has to be changed.
I just now caught this, not pointing a finger just wondering, in CA collecting TANF/AFDC for a child who is not living in your home full time (or at least the majority of the time) is considered fraud. If your caught you lose your benefits, have to pay back what ever you received and there's a chance of jail time if I remember right. I'd really really urge you to check out your state laws so this doesn't come and bite in you in the butt. Its certainly not something you'd want to be openly admitting on a msg board, especially one like MDC is which known for mama's getting uppity and reporting people when they have your real name/address.

Seriously?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page