Mama Pad's or Diva Cup $$ vs Comfort... - Mothering Forums
Frugality & Finances > Mama Pad's or Diva Cup $$ vs Comfort...
Mom2Adam's Avatar Mom2Adam 11:53 AM 10-29-2007
I love this resource! We are very, very, very tight right now...and AF is back (after only 17 mo ) - Anyway, postpartum I used some cloth mama pads and I loved them...but I don't have nearly enough...and now I am trying to decide what may be the better deal....more mama cloths or the Diva Cup.

1. If you use the diva - please tell me more - comfort etc...
2. If you have a great source for mama pads at a reasonable price please share!

I am not at all crafty (although I have a nice sewing machine passed down from my grandmother) - - although I guess it would be pretty easy to make rectangles???? - If I chose to do that - what kind of material do you suggest.

Thanks for any/all help -

Traci

BurtsGirl's Avatar BurtsGirl 01:06 PM 10-29-2007
I use Gladrags and LOVE THEM! I made the switch almost a year ago and I'm never looking back. I never liked tampoons so the "cups" were out of the question for me.

I'm considering making two or three more for myself. It doesn't look hard to make and really, if it doesn't work out, your not out anything but fabric. I plan to use 3-4 layers of cotton for mine and just follow the pattern of the pads I have right now.

But if you don't want to make them and your looking for a good deal on mama pads or the "cups" join one of the Frontier Co-ops in the trading post forum. Frontier carrys Gladrags at a wholesale price (through the co-op) and also the diva cups. I think they might also carry one other brand of mama pad and the "Keeper" cup. I think they also have mama pad co-ops from time to time also.

HTH
TiredX2's Avatar TiredX2 01:51 PM 10-29-2007
Well, from a purely financial standpoint the Diva Cup is GREAT. I got mine for less than $30 for when AF came back--- that was over four years ago. And it's still going strong.

I find it quite comfortable at this point. And it is by far the best solution I have ever had. I used to do cloth pads for back up and night, but haven't for 2-3 years and it has been great!
Rhiannon Feimorgan's Avatar Rhiannon Feimorgan 02:10 PM 10-29-2007
I find my diva very comfortable. To the point where I sometimes forget I have it in. The first month was a bit of a learning curve as far as getting it in properly but not any more so than learning how to insert an OB tampon. It's way more comfortable than any tampon I've ever worn.
Sharlla's Avatar Sharlla 03:05 PM 10-29-2007
I've found pads to be very uncomfortable. DC is more portable as well.
Amys1st's Avatar Amys1st 04:03 PM 10-29-2007
I have glad rags and the diva. I tried the keepr and didnt like it but LOVE LOVE LOVE the diva. I use the glad rags on "off" days. As far as comfort, its much more comfy than tampex and safer I might add.

Also, the diva convenience- you dont have to empty it that often.

And yes, I bought mine at the wholesale price on Frontier and I think after 4 mos, I recouped what I would have spent on tampex or the such.

Glad rags- they dont have that "smell" that normal disposable pads do and much more comfortable.
KariM's Avatar KariM 04:04 PM 10-29-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Adam View Post
I love this resource! We are very, very, very tight right now...and AF is back (after only 17 mo ) - Anyway, postpartum I used some cloth mama pads and I loved them...but I don't have nearly enough...and now I am trying to decide what may be the better deal....more mama cloths or the Diva Cup.

1. If you use the diva - please tell me more - comfort etc...
2. If you have a great source for mama pads at a reasonable price please share!

I am not at all crafty (although I have a nice sewing machine passed down from my grandmother) - - although I guess it would be pretty easy to make rectangles???? - If I chose to do that - what kind of material do you suggest.

Thanks for any/all help -

Traci
I sew up my own mama pads and I use fleece, PUL, hemp fleece (as the center absorbant layer) and flannel on the top for comfort.

It's pretty easy to sew them up. I either serge them, if I'm in a hurry, or turn and top stitch them.

I have a diva cup but personally did *not* find it to be comfortable. It shifted and poked me and I wonder if I might have had the wrong size. I bought the size for over 30 y/o mamas who had a vaginal birth. I fit the criteria, but the cup didn't fit me well!

Many mamas find they use some pads as a back-up when first using the diva cup in case of leaks.

There are so many options for sewing up cloth pads. The fabric choices are nearly unlimited, depending upon your flow, etc. Some mamas recycle flannel sheets or old sweatshirts. I know of mamas who used old cloth diapers (prefolds, etc). Some mamas just use old washcloths folded and placed in closely fitting underpants.
melissel's Avatar melissel 04:44 PM 10-29-2007
I LOVED my Diva Cup. I was (still am, maybe) having a physical problem that precluded me from using it anymore, and the first full cycle where I had to use tampons and pads, I was so depressed. Seriously, I miss my Diva Cup very much, and if I ever figure out the problem I'm having, I'm getting another cup immediately.

My flow is quite heavy, so I do need pads for backup at night, and even during the day for the first 2-3 days, but after using the Diva and coming back to tampons, I can say that tampons are at least as much mess for me, and probably more. I also would forget the Diva was in after the first few heavy days, so I had no problems at all with comfort. I highly recommend it.
EricaLeigh's Avatar EricaLeigh 05:53 PM 10-29-2007
I'd say if you are a tampon kind of girl then go with the diva. If you prefer pads then go with cloth mama pads. I have both. The pads I made out of flannel & they are for back up some days, & used alone on light days. I got the flannel remnents cheap at Joanne's. You could alsoe repurpose flannel receiving blankets (which I did use on some of the inner layers). I love them both & would never go back to sposies!!!
Amys1st's Avatar Amys1st 11:43 PM 10-29-2007
I have at this moment one spot left on my mdc coop for frontier. So if you're reading this and want your diva at wholesale, check out my frontier coop going on right now.
AGlimmeringHope's Avatar AGlimmeringHope 02:30 AM 10-30-2007
I am another who found the diva uncomfortable. Mommy's Touch pads (2nds) are currently as low as $3/each at www.lilbunz.com
Maluhia's Avatar Maluhia 02:38 AM 10-30-2007
I LOVE my Diva and I'm on day 2 - I've had it for a few months but was too worried about if it would not feel right - when I trimmed the stem it is perfect and I'm all in love. It is all I can do not to talk about it to my friends.
xmysticprincessx's Avatar xmysticprincessx 06:09 PM 10-30-2007
diva cups are on sale here for $17.99. (i think shipping is about $6, so it comes to $24.) they run this sale every now and then, so if its higher, check back next month (no pun intended).
http://www.southcoastshopping.com/?p...1346e7bd6a68f0
Up