Tips for Staying Warm... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 108 Old 11-01-2007, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ediesmom View Post
And I think I'm going to knit some big bulky house sweaters.....things we put on when we walk in. and get some slippers to wear over our woolies.
I made myself a pair of the Fiber Trend felted clogs last winter. So COZY, and the Patons wool that's very affordable (esp. w/coupon) at craft stores felts wonderful and makes them not very spendy to knit up.

Another tip - vests. More layers on your body than your arms will make it feel less bulky and still keep you warm. Plus, not having to knit sleeves means you're done faster

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#62 of 108 Old 11-01-2007, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
When it gets super cold and mama has no heating money we all pile into the big bed(otherwise they are more comfy and sleep better in their bunk beds). The toddler wears socks, babylegs, a t-shirt, and fleece footie jammies and a hat. The school age child wears socks, sweatpants, sweatshirt, t-shirt, and hat. Always the hats. It keeps them nice and warm. With that and snuggling together for body heat we always have a warm night. Now waking up in the morning and climbing out of bed is never fun, but we make it through the night!!

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#63 of 108 Old 11-01-2007, 10:36 AM

Another idea (might have been posted before, sorry if I missed it). I have the thermostat set to 68 during the day, but it doesn't go down to 65 until about 11 or 1130. Why? Well, you go to bed and its relatively warm. Once your body adjusts to its nighttime warmth and the covers are good and toasty..then the temperature goes down. Then I kick it back up to 68 about 7 or 8 in the morning.

OUr thermostat programs so I don't have to do it each day.
#64 of 108 Old 11-01-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post
I made myself a pair of the Fiber Trend felted clogs last winter. So COZY, and the Patons wool that's very affordable (esp. w/coupon) at craft stores felts wonderful and makes them not very spendy to knit up.
I can make those in my sleep I have made them so many times. Because we wear them all day every day, we each do through 2 pairs a winter. I do not care if they are "pretty" so I buy up ANY 100% wool yarn at the thrift store to make practically free slippers. They make great gifts too
#65 of 108 Old 11-01-2007, 01:17 PM

where can I find out how to make those slippers?
Thanks!
#66 of 108 Old 11-01-2007, 04:00 PM

We are on a very frugal budget, and we live in a drafty old house, and our gas prices are outrageous. For those reasons, we keep the thermostat at 55 degrees at night and 62 during the day. We do all of the things mentioned here...use draft stoppers under doors, plastic on the windows, warm sweaters and slippers for eveyone.

One thing I didn't see here has been wonderful for us - two years ago my best friend bought us a set of FLEECE sheets. They are frickin' incredible!! Makes flannel feel downright chilly. I think she got them at JC Penny or Bed Bath and Beyond. I highly recommend them to everyone!!
#67 of 108 Old 11-01-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth rose View Post
where can I find out how to make those slippers?
Thanks!
The pattern is by Fiber Trends:
http://fibertrends.com/viewer/patterns/AC33x.html

I bought mine at my local yarn store for (I think) $5. Link has mail order sources too or you can google around for mail order sources?

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#68 of 108 Old 11-01-2007, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I had a warm, snuggly winter by sleeping on DH's fluffy cow blanket. Sleeping on something fluffy traps warmth beautifully! DH eventually took it off the bed because he was getting too hot, but it was lovely while it lasted. Especially compared to the cheap satin sheets we were sleeping on before--now THOSE things are chilly. It's almost impossible to get warm on them, even if you have blankets galore. Sheets make a difference!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#69 of 108 Old 11-05-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Okay, unless I'm mistaken, they need to have heat available to you by October 1, according to state law??

Might want to look into that, because you m ight be able to get some heat earlier.

Yep -- here:

"Heat must be supplied from October 1 through May 31, to tenants in multiple dwellings if: a) the outdoor temperature falls below 55 degrees Fahrenheit, between 6 A.M. and 10 P.M., each apartment must be heated to a temperature of at least 68 degrees Fahrenheit; (b) the outdoor temperature falls below 40 degrees Fahrenheit, between the hours of 10 P.M. and 6 A.M., each apartment must be heated to a temperature of at least 55 degrees Fahrenheit. (Multiple Dwelling Law § 79)"
from: http://www.oag.state.ny.us/realestate/habitability.html
Sorry I couldn't find this thread for a while. Thanks for the info though!

I did end up calling the Heath Dept and filed a complaint. Next thing you know the heat was on!
#70 of 108 Old 11-05-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
The pattern is by Fiber Trends:
http://fibertrends.com/viewer/patterns/AC33x.html

I bought mine at my local yarn store for (I think) $5. Link has mail order sources too or you can google around for mail order sources?
Thanks! I'm going to my LYS soon anyway to get some warm yarn for fingerless mitts, so I'll see if they have this pattern there.
#71 of 108 Old 11-05-2007, 01:27 PM

Any suggestions for staying warm *in an apartment* when your DH likes to be cold & he always turns a fan on him at night? I can’t put too many layers of blankets on b/c he’ll get hot, and if I put them just on my side they will fall off by the end of the night (I toss & turn a lot). I sleep naked (TMI), but technically you will stay warmer that way than with layers of clothes b/c your own body heat will radiate beneath the covers. So clothes aren't an option except maybe socks? LOL. I know one time I got *SO COLD* I had to sleep with a hat on my head and covering my ears. And I live in the SOUTH. I am just very temperature sensitive & DH is always warm.

-
#72 of 108 Old 11-05-2007, 01:35 PM

Another thing that really helps and is realatively cheap/ easy to do is to buy 2" certifoam insulation, its hard and sold in 4X8 sheets. Go in your basement or crawlspace and sut pieces to fit around your rim joist, in between your floor joists. It really helps stop cold air drafts from coming and we noticed our floors feel much warmer.

Also if you have outlets on your outside wall and notice frost or cold air drafts. You can buy insulated electrical boxes to help.

Check your insulation in your attic. You should not be getting ice dams or have snow melting easily on your roof. If you do its not insulate enough and all of your heat is escaping through your roof melting the snow.
#73 of 108 Old 11-05-2007, 03:12 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#74 of 108 Old 11-07-2007, 10:03 AM

Thought y'all might like to know .... Target has king-size flannel sheet sets on sale for $16.99. I just ordered 2 sets, and at that price, I may go order a couple more to give as gifts to my parents and bro/sil this Yule.

Warmly ...

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#75 of 108 Old 11-07-2007, 11:25 AM

For years I have been trying to keep the heat down. It affects me psychologically to be too cold, I get depressed. I am thin so I will start shivering-- visibly-- if it is below 72 in the house. I have tried hats, sweaters, I already have 2 down comforters on the bed-- I don't know what to do.

DH won't replace out windows, I know that would keep heating costs down, but he claims we will not be living in this house long enough for the value to amortize.
#76 of 108 Old 11-07-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
For years I have been trying to keep the heat down. It affects me psychologically to be too cold, I get depressed. I am thin so I will start shivering-- visibly-- if it is below 72 in the house. I have tried hats, sweaters, I already have 2 down comforters on the bed-- I don't know what to do.

DH won't replace out windows, I know that would keep heating costs down, but he claims we will not be living in this house long enough for the value to amortize.
I'm the same way. Every house I've lived in as an adult has been old with the original, drafty windows...except this one. It's AMAZING what newer windows can do! I've been keeping the heat at 67 with no problems.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#77 of 108 Old 11-07-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filiadeluna View Post
Any suggestions for staying warm *in an apartment* when your DH likes to be cold & he always turns a fan on him at night? I can’t put too many layers of blankets on b/c he’ll get hot, and if I put them just on my side they will fall off by the end of the night (I toss & turn a lot). I sleep naked (TMI), but technically you will stay warmer that way than with layers of clothes b/c your own body heat will radiate beneath the covers. So clothes aren't an option except maybe socks? LOL. I know one time I got *SO COLD* I had to sleep with a hat on my head and covering my ears. And I live in the SOUTH. I am just very temperature sensitive & DH is always warm.
I'm just like your dh...I like to be cold at night and always have the ceiling fan on. My dh wears sweats to sleep in and has a couple throw blankets that only cover his side of the bed. He also has two of those heatable rice packs that he heats up and puts by his feet when he needs the extra warmth. I'm looking into getting him a space heater for his side of the bed. I know it will cost us a bit to run it but I think it might be worth it to save our marriage
#78 of 108 Old 11-07-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filiadeluna View Post
What about a twin-size electric blanket, placed under the fitted sheet on your side of the bed? I hear ya on the tossing & turning, and I also sleep naked and generally stay toasty-warm, even when it's cold in the house, just with a couple of blankets on me.

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#79 of 108 Old 11-07-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:

Have you tried puting the plastic film on your windows? It's a lot cheeper than new windows and it helps a lot with drafts. I noticed an imediate change when I first put it up.

The big drawback is you can't open the window. We left it off the kitchen window for that reason.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#80 of 108 Old 11-07-2007, 02:57 PM

Right now our furnace is set at 65, but I will turn it off during the day if we are cooking or cleaning. Which judging the state of my living room, needs to be done today when DD gets up from her nap!: We live in NW Ohio and it's been in the 20's at night and the 40's during the day. We haven't sealed the windows yet, but DH is off on Friday so we are doing it then. We don't have any problems at night with DD, 2 dogs and 2 cats sharing the bed with us. I think I'm going to have to get her some footie pj's though since she can't stand blankets on her feet.

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#81 of 108 Old 11-07-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr View Post
Another thing that really helps and is realatively cheap/ easy to do is to buy 2" certifoam insulation, its hard and sold in 4X8 sheets. Go in your basement or crawlspace and sut pieces to fit around your rim joist, in between your floor joists. It really helps stop cold air drafts from coming and we noticed our floors feel much warmer.
how is the insulation held up?

sarah
#82 of 108 Old 11-10-2007, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico DeMouse View Post
We have not turned the heat on yet. It was 59 in the house this morning when we got up. When it gets turned on, it's set for 55 at night and 65 during the day (when people are home).

I recommend cats. The colder it is, the more of ours join us in bed!
I would have to agree on the cats thing. We have three cats and if you get them all piled on top of you, you will stay warm

DH and I pile on the blankets. I am allergic to down, I have tried many kinds, even some that claimed would not bother my allergies, but no go Also I have nice, thick pj's and socks that I sleep in.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#83 of 108 Old 10-02-2008, 07:35 PM

This is a year old thread worth bumping because there are a lot of good ideas. I will add the consumption of warm and spicey foods, as well-- I have heard-- as running ceiling fans on reverse if they have such a setting.

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#84 of 108 Old 10-03-2008, 12:52 AM

great thread thanks

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#85 of 108 Old 10-03-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I am thin so I will start shivering-- visibly-- if it is below 72 in the house. I have tried hats, sweaters, I already have 2 down comforters on the bed-- I don't know what to do.
Thanks for bumping this!

I am like the quote above and we are moving to an old house this year.. : I am going to try every tip in this thread and hopefully we can keep our heating bill reasonable this year!
#86 of 108 Old 10-04-2008, 01:25 AM

Ginger tea

This works to keep you warm from the inside. Just grate some ginger add hot water and honey, enjoy.

kathryn
#87 of 108 Old 10-04-2008, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Great thread. I was going to add that I used to have a bedroom with a very drafty wall right behind the head of the bed. Moving away from the wall would have helped but the room was too small. So I made a "headboard" out of some heavy fabric with a polyester batting -- like a quilt. It really cut down on the draft coming through the wall. During the day, if I keep a wool hat on my head all day, it makes an incredible difference in my body temperature. Probably wouldn't want to wear a hat to bed, but if things were desperate, I might try to make soft, light hats out of fleece for sleeping in. (There was a good reason folks used to sleep in nightcaps!).
#88 of 108 Old 10-04-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmsMom View Post
Great thread. I was going to add that I used to have a bedroom with a very drafty wall right behind the head of the bed. Moving away from the wall would have helped but the room was too small. So I made a "headboard" out of some heavy fabric with a polyester batting -- like a quilt. It really cut down on the draft coming through the wall. During the day, if I keep a wool hat on my head all day, it makes an incredible difference in my body temperature. Probably wouldn't want to wear a hat to bed, but if things were desperate, I might try to make soft, light hats out of fleece for sleeping in. (There was a good reason folks used to sleep in nightcaps!).
Sleeping caps are the best! I have a really soft fleece hat that I sleep in. And sometimes I wrap a really soft blanket around my head (there are windows right behind my head).
#89 of 108 Old 10-05-2008, 12:30 AM

When we lived in Michigan and were keeping the heat low, I used to wear a hat and sweater to bed. With cats.
#90 of 108 Old 10-06-2008, 09:28 AM

I'm subbing to and bumping up this thread! I woke up freezing this morning and I need to read through and get some tips!:

me, dd1, dd2, ds, and #4 due March 1. dbf has 2 of his own, so it will be an adventure!

i like making things. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page