November Low Income Mummas Support Thread - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 1296 Old 11-13-2007, 12:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
vannienicole! I'm so sorry you're going through this!!! If there's any way we can help, please post here!
#422 of 1296 Old 11-13-2007, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediesmom View Post
My condition killed my unborn child, and almost killed
me....
I'm so sorry...
#423 of 1296 Old 11-13-2007, 02:09 AM

#424 of 1296 Old 11-13-2007, 02:25 AM

I thought I was going to make it until the 17th of dec (which is when my next stipend check drops in), but not so much. Nope. Even with only paying $5 more than the minimum credit card payment, I only have $285 for 4 weeks in groceries. Now, I know some people do get by on that. We eat healthily, not 100%, or even 50% organic, and I have substantially cut down our meat portions (by like 75%!). I still need between $80 and $100 perweek. Not to mention we have colds so our toilet paper usage has doubled
Sigh... You know. If there were an end in sight. But I'm going to get that next stipend and then I'm still going to be broke. And if i'm not, then something really bad will happen so that i am. Is this my normal pattern of thinking? No. But sometimes it would be so nice to be able to look at the budget and the bank balance and the receipts and say, "oh, there's enough." There's enough to not worry at the grocery store. There's enough to not worry about a cup of coffee during a break at a night class when i was running so hard to get there that i didn't have a chance to bring one. There's enough to buy toilet paper, and shampoo, and laundry detergent. There's enough to buy my girls shoes - they ALL need friggin shoes. Could I cut things out? sure. But where's the ****ing quality of life if I can't spend $10 on something fun for us occasionally? I don't care about having lots of stuff. We live in a tiny apartment - we don't have room for stuff. I'd just like to have enough for all the basics without ever having an anxious ball in my stomach every day. Yeah.. the anxious ball in my stomach. I just want there to be enough so that goes away.
Thanks for reading if you made it this far. I'm going to put the kids to bed, mop my floors, and read a book (yes, the whole thing...sigh).
#425 of 1296 Old 11-13-2007, 03:19 AM

Huge , gradmama!
#426 of 1296 Old 11-13-2007, 08:57 AM

good morning mamas!!

thank you for the hug mrskennedy. yup, thank you.

gradmama, sorry you got 'the pit'. I hate it! My dd has a few pairs of size 3,4,5 girls shoes if you would like. I'm not sure what is there but will look. I am so impressed that you were mopping your floors. Im jealous of folks with clean floors

its rainy and dreary here this am......gratitude will be a tough one, but I'll try to be sincere.

1. my friend scott, who took me to the grocery yesterday......and sweetly slipped me $20, I bought shampoo and the BIG dr. bronners!!!
2. at our monthly board meeting we all worked well together, and I got all onboard to expand our winter program to include blanket distribution!
3. the whole wedge of brie i indulged in yesterday! oh, i love cheese! i just couldn't stop

off to the day...............

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#427 of 1296 Old 11-13-2007, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vannienicole View Post
: So we were doing fine. Had $100 to get us to the 15th, yea!, right? Nope. Went in for an oil change and to do a cheap replacement of our right blinker light that went out. After all we had a bit of money finally, so we could take care of the two of those.... Seems as though the previous owner of our car did some work on it on his/her own. The socket that holds in the light was the wrong one. It was jammed and plugged into the socket and the wire was crappily wrapped around it. It was a quick fix job. SO they had to take out and replace the whole socket and bulb : $79.95 for the whole thing!! How on earth are we going to make it?! I still have to get a couple of things for my field trip on Sat and for groceries and BEFORE this we would have been just fine.....No one is even offering on my TP items. I don't have much that I can even Craigslist. My card is maxed. Sometimes it feels so hard to breathe.
Oh no Vanessa! I'm sorry! That sucks. When it rains, it pours huh? I hope something good comes your way soon. Sometimes when I'm most panicked about finances and getting day to day life under control, someone helps out in teh most unusual and unexpected way. I was stressing about finding money for a dress to wear to a wedding next week that actually fits me(26w pregnant) when a friend at work offered me a stretchy a-line dress that is 2 sizes bigger than I wore pre-preg that actually fits and looks amazing! Now to just come up with a gift!!!!! So sometimes it's the little things like a friend bringing you dinner or offering to watch your kids for an hour while you sit on your tush and do nothing!!!

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#428 of 1296 Old 11-13-2007, 02:33 PM

s to all the mamas!!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#429 of 1296 Old 11-13-2007, 02:55 PM

I haven't posted yet this month, so here is my list of 10:

10 things I'm thankful for:

1. My girls, who always make me laugh over something each day
2. My DH's new job which just started 2 weeks ago, and for his wonderful boss who is giving him 10 hours of overtime each week - which we desperately needed!!!
3. My FIL, who came and fixed our broken bathroom ( my wonderfully curious 3 year old flushed a plastic letter opener wrapped in wet wipes down the toilet, which caused the toilet to not flush, and the sink and bathtub to all back up and not drain ) FIL had to take apart the stool to fix it, but we now have a working bathroom again!!
4. A working bathroom!! I never knew how much I appreciated it until we went 3 days without one. Bathroom sink and a shower I can do without for a few days (we have a kitchen sink), but I never realized how attached I am to my toilet
5. My MIL - who had a little birthday party at the local pizza place for DD on Friday (she turned 2) and we all had some wonderfully yummy pizza, and DD got a $25 gift card to spend
6. My family, who is always watching my girls for free while I am at work, and the girls get 1 good meal each day with them - and they often send home supper too!!
7. My just-turned-2-year-old DD is finally able to wear clothes and still use the potty. For the entire summer she would only use the potty on her own if she didn't have anything on her little tushie. But the last two weeks she has finally realized that she can simply pull down her pants and still go potty. A major blessing as it is getting incredibly cold here in MN and I couldn't have her running around half-nakey any longer, and she refuses to tell anyone when she needs to go if we are at home, she just goes on her own.
8. That I EC'd DD, having her potty trained at 2 is wonderful!! Except when you don't have a working toilet No more diapers is a wonderful thing.
9. For my DH, who is working incredibly long hours and getting up at 4:30 am each day to make it to work on time - which also means not staying up late at night and he has never been a morning person - so I am very thankful that he is working so hard to provide for us, and to adapt to the schedule of his new job
10. For my dad and brothers (who I work with) for allowing me to bring the girls with me to work on the days my mom can't watch them (and they buy me lunch every day at work, and buy the girls lunch when they come with me)
11. That my laptop works today!! My 3 year old spilled a steamer on it yesterday and the mouse wouldn't work for anything, but today I turned it on and it seems to be just fine - which is wonderful as there isn't any money available to replace it right now

10 things that would make life easier:

1. To be pregnant!! With Abby turning 2, it really makes it all that more clear that we are out of babies here in our house Okay, so might not make life easier as it would be another child to provide for - but I absolutely love babies, so I would love a few more.
2. A winter coat for my 3 year old, her one from last year is getting a tad small and her arms stick out a bit
3. A space heater or two - ours has some funny rattling noise that it makes whenever it turns off or on - kind of annoying in the middle of the night when it switches on/off based on the room temp and wakes us up - and I worry it might quit working
4. Enough money to pay all our bills this month ( I think we might be able to do it, but am afraid to hope, something always seems to come up ). I second the option for more cold hard cash - cash is always good
5. An oil change for the van and for both the van and DH's truck to continue running thru the winter with no problems
6. Gas prices to go down, with both DH and I driving 30 miles one way in opposite directions each day to work, gas is a huge expense for us.
7. Some warmer winter dresses for the girls and some longer skirts for me
8. For everything in our house to continue working this winter - hot water heater (need a new one as the one we have leaks, but can't afford to replace it yet), stove (2 burners gave out on me, so hopefully the other 2 keep working), furnace, computer, etc.
9. For my website to continue growing
10. That the holidays wouldn't be too stressful on our family - I know it's easy to get in little disagreements over things during the holidays - so I hope we can avoid any problems this year.
#430 of 1296 Old 11-13-2007, 04:03 PM

Here's my 10:

1. My ability to knit and sew minimally. I'm making myself a few extra bucks selling knit stuff, and I am sewing i-spy bags for my nieces and my kids and knitting for my kids and the baby, and making mama pads and nursing pads for myself.
2. having food in the pantry right now!!!!
3. my weekly date with a friend. She comes over, I make a simple dinner(that she always raves over even if I know it's not much), and we gossip and chat and watch some tv and just hang out. it's my break after the girls are sleeping!
4. Lulu peed on the potty twice today IN A ROW! I still feel like she will be in diapers in Feb when her sister arrives but it's a start!
5. That as much crud as he gives me for working a double shift on the weekends or coming home at 11pm from work, my stbx is there 4 days a week to watch the girls so I dont' have to pay a daycare.
6. a roof over my head, because I know some people don't even have that!
7. my internet connection. I struggle to pay the bill to keep it on but it's my only link to the outside world and it makes me money by letting me sell stuff
8. the public library for having story time for Lulu and an endless supply of books for chicken to satisfy her desire to read constantly.
9.for getting my medicaid back again last week so I can visit my doctor again
10. Savers for finding a baby tub today for $3.99 and a wooden shape sorter for $1.99 and a baby long-sleeve shirt for $.99. It's been the only reason my kids have clothing to wear some months.

#431 of 1296 Old 11-13-2007, 04:12 PM

I am still working on my 10 things... s to everyone having a hard time right now!!

Vanessa - I just PMed you... I REALLY need to start buying diapers for this baby and would love to help you out at the same time!! If I am going to be finding money to buy diapers I figure the least I could do is buy them from someone who can use it... plus some of your diapers are so cute!!

Anyway... if anyone else on this thread has diapers their kids have outgrown that they want to sell let me know!!!!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#432 of 1296 Old 11-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Banned

I'm getting ready to clean out my house over the next few weeks and I should have some baby clothes to give away, if anyone wants them and isn't too picky about stains. My DD's were born late Jan/early Feb and they were both "big" so I mainly have 3-6 month sleepers and summery clothes but I should have a few wintery pieces as well. I think have some chinese prefolds in the trunk of my car, too. They're stained but they work. DH has the car right now, but if I remember correctly I have some with the blue thread and some of the rainbow thread. The blue thread are the bigger size and the rainbow thread are shorter and fit well into medium covers. If anybody thinks they may be interested, just PM me and let me know

Like I said, I still have to go through everything so I don't know exactly what I have. I'll cover shipping as long as you're in the continental US.

ETA: The diapers have now been spoken for but I still have the clothes.
#433 of 1296 Old 11-13-2007, 05:43 PM

Okay I'm so excited and just have to share with those that will understand! I just went to the bus stop to pick up Chicken and her friend's mom is bringing me a changing table tonight!!!!!! I can have it for free. Normally I wouildn't buy one since I"d just change on the bed or the couch or floor but it's going to make diaper storage a TON easier for two in cloth!!!!!!! YAY!

#434 of 1296 Old 11-13-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle View Post
Welcome.

Remember your family comes FIRST during th holidays. The rest will just have to live with it!
Very true

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#435 of 1296 Old 11-13-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskennedy View Post
Welcome mama2babybeans!
If you have an MW, can you get a discount on the birth kit?
If not, you don't really need anything for a homebirth... I know... I had a UC and my birth stuff arrived 2 days after my DS! We did fine.

Oh, and if you PM me your address I'll send you 2 large--I think plastic-backed sheets--I didn't need after all. I also have hydrogen peroxide and maybe some other things... Oh yeah, a peri bottle.
Thanks for the welcome
My mw does have a kit but and it's only like $40 but she also gave us a list of other things we should have on hand.. plus I need to buy our fishie pool for the birth. I'm new to the whole homebirth scene, so I have no idea what I really need and what could be considered optional
I will PM you.. the plastic backed sheets sound great! Thanks! Every bit helps

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#436 of 1296 Old 11-13-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
Welcome. When are you due?
Thanks for the welcome! I'm due Jan.20th or thereabouts. It's flying by so quickly. I can't believe I'm 30 weeks already.. don't know where the time went! I haven't gotten anything ready..

#437 of 1296 Old 11-13-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygirl View Post
What all is on your list - I may have some of it left from my Just in case I didn't make the hospital kit from DD.

And wow- you get a maternity break from school????? I had to be back in class for a test 6 days after DD was born! Luckily I'm one of those people who feels great after the babe is born, so it wasn't that bad.
I'll have to pull it out and see.. I didn't have the money for it right away so I just left it in the car

And the maternity leave is.. tricky. I was told I could either take one week or one year off from school. I just couldn't fathom leaving a one week old at home to go back to full day hospital clinicals, so one year it is. And I'm going to enjoy every minute of it!

#438 of 1296 Old 11-13-2007, 09:01 PM

Hi mamas! We are in the process of moving & unpacking so I haven't been on here much. to everyone & welcome to the new mamas on the thread! I'll try to post an update later when the kids are in bed.

#439 of 1296 Old 11-13-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2babybeans View Post
Thanks for the welcome
My mw does have a kit but and it's only like $40 but she also gave us a list of other things we should have on hand.. plus I need to buy our fishie pool for the birth. I'm new to the whole homebirth scene, so I have no idea what I really need and what could be considered optional
I will PM you.. the plastic backed sheets sound great! Thanks! Every bit helps
Can I ask you if you are paying out of pocket for the midwife or if your insurance covers it???? I dont' think my medicaid would cover the homebirth I want but it does cover a midwife-assisted birth center birth. And I hear the birth center here at Women and Infants is AWESOME! Also, what's on your list of homebirth supplies that you need to supply????

#440 of 1296 Old 11-13-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
Can I ask you if you are paying out of pocket for the midwife or if your insurance covers it???? I dont' think my medicaid would cover the homebirth I want but it does cover a midwife-assisted birth center birth. And I hear the birth center here at Women and Infants is AWESOME! Also, what's on your list of homebirth supplies that you need to supply????
Medicaid does, in fact, cover homebirth in some states. Medicaid is required to cover CNM's and whatever other kinds of midwives are licensed to practice in your state, so as long as someone with a license (who understands how to bill Medicaid and is willing to take their spectacularly low reimbursement rate) will attend your homebirth, Medicaid should cover their fee.

In my state (Wisconsin) they'll cover the midwife part of the birth center fee, but not the 'facility fee', so we decided to have a homebirth principally because they'd cover it 100%. Of course, we still have to pay for the supplies for homebirth -- $120 for the birth pool, $60 for the 'kit' which includes a ton of stuff we really don't need, but also has things like cord clamps and chux pads and arnica and herbal sitz bath, $30 for the pump and tubes to get water into the tub, and probably $30 for other supplies like waterproof covers for our mattress and tarps and peroxide. That's pretty much where every spare cent we've had over the past couple of months has gone to.

Now I just have to pray that I'm not getting kicked off MA at the end of the month. I haven't heard anything from them, and I'm getting worried.
#441 of 1296 Old 11-13-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Okay I'm so excited and just have to share with those that will understand! I just went to the bus stop to pick up Chicken and her friend's mom is bringing me a changing table tonight!!!!!! I can have it for free. Normally I wouildn't buy one since I"d just change on the bed or the couch or floor but it's going to make diaper storage a TON easier for two in cloth!!!!!!! YAY!
That's so great!

Can I ask... Why do you call your DD(?) Chicken?
#442 of 1296 Old 11-13-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
3. my weekly date with a friend. She comes over, I make a simple dinner(that she always raves over even if I know it's not much), and we gossip and chat
and watch some tv and just hang out. it's my break after the girls are sleeping!
I know how important that is! My sis lives next door and I visit her when BIL works (2nd shift). So she plays with DS and I drink hot chocolate. It's nothing really, but I feel depressed if we don't do it!
#443 of 1296 Old 11-13-2007, 11:25 PM

Medicaid in Washington covers homebirths... if we owned our own home and my fiance wouldn't have a coronary at the idea I might go for it... however, I would like this birth to be a good experience for him too so we are compromising

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#444 of 1296 Old 11-13-2007, 11:39 PM

Hello to the new Mamas!! I hope we make you feel welcome.

Belleweather, I'm pming you. My Pm's have been goofy lately so if you have not received one from me, let me know

NOt too much going on today. Oldest daughter had karate and I'm trying to figure out what to do about her birthday and christmas for all of them. How do you Mama's with older kids do it? I mean, do you tell them money is tight (or non existant as in our case these days) or do you keep it all to yourself. Alexis, is almost 10 and is such a greatful child, but I don't want to burden her iwth problems but want her to be aware that christmas is going to be different this year.
I'm having each child tell me the ONE thing that is most important to them. Then GOd willing and a belief in miracles, I can make that happen. Anyway,just a little thinking aloud I guess.

Had a WIC appt today for check pick up, it was no big deal, just bit of a wait.

Chandi

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#445 of 1296 Old 11-13-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chely7425 View Post
Medicaid in Washington covers homebirths... if we owned our own home and my fiance wouldn't have a coronary at the idea I might go for it... however, I would like this birth to be a good experience for him too so we are compromising
We had a homebirth (UC) in a rented place. Nobody cared.
#446 of 1296 Old 11-14-2007, 12:19 AM

We are having a homebirth in a rented house. Our landlady even knows and doesn't care.

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#447 of 1296 Old 11-14-2007, 12:20 AM

#448 of 1296 Old 11-14-2007, 12:24 AM

I hear you on the homework. I am supposed to be typing a critique of the play I saw Friday & I am having the hardest time with it! And it's due tomorrow *sigh*

#449 of 1296 Old 11-14-2007, 01:31 AM

I know that I COULD have a homebirth in a rented place... but I am not comfortable with it and neither is my fiance so we are having a birth center birth which we are both really looking forward to. Today I am thankful for:

1. The diapers I just bought from a wonderful mama on here, and for her helping with my very first paypal purchase!!
2. Getting to spend the afternoon with my fiance even if we were running around doing errands all afternoon
3. Actually having the money for our car payment and credit card payment and not having a zero balance in the checking account after those 2 things

#450 of 1296 Old 11-14-2007, 01:36 AM

I am doing really badly in school. I have an 8 page paper due Thursday and it is no where near ready. No where near. And I really blew a test today. Cannot wait until it's over. I am in desperate need of a break.
So here are three things that I am grateful for tonight:
1) Plenty of food in the cupboards and fridge....and freezer.
2) I finally got the rebate check from the computer I bought over a month ago.
3) The weather, though a little too warm today for my liking, is fall-ish - for FL, anyway.

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page