November Low Income Mummas Support Thread - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-14-2007, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vannienicole View Post
Today isn't particularly good though. My flow began today. I haven't had one since Aug 2006! That sucks as it is such a hassle and cost me money. I would love to try the Diva Cup, but after this yeast infection and still battling tear issues......I think I have to stick to pad for a bit longer. Anyone know a good free pattern for flannel pads that don't use snaps? Or that can be altered for velcro even?
There are a TON of these on google. I downloaded like 5 of them, but ended up just making flat pads to use postpartum. I made a dozen of them, and because I was recycling old stuff (prefold diapers for the absorbent layer, lap pads we'd never used for the waterproof one) they only cost $1.50 for the flannel on the top. Plus, it's flannel with a cool retro flame design, which DH insisted on... it pretty much describes my mood when I'm on the rag.

Quote:
We are having a homebirth in a rented house.
Us too. I don't know what people are so afraid of. I mean, after you've had toddlers, blood and birth goo is not going to be the worst thing to happen to that carpet by far!

Okay, I THINK I actually have 10 things to be grateful about, finally.

1. Thanksgiving is next week! This is the first time ever in my life that I have actual paid days off, and we have a turkey the size of a small island nation waiting for us to eat it.

2. DS is an amazingly cuddly little guy lately. He comes and snuggles up to my big belly and watches me type and tells me aaaaall about it when I'm playing on the internet.

3. We're going on a little mini-vacation for DS's birthday right after Thanksgiving. We're taking him to an indoor water park for his birthday thanks to the bank of Grandma, and I'll get to watch mindless TV and spend a whole lot of time in the pool and get some of the weight of this baby off my hips.

4. This baby has got his head in the right direction and, unlike his big brother, is not posterior or trying to head out through my right femur.

5. I have a new boss at work! I think this is going to be good... before I was reporting to someone who had nothing to do with what I do and I was kind of worried about how that was going to work at review time.

6. There's a decent chance that Costco will replace our fried freezer (which shorted out sometime a month or so ago with a ton of meat in it, the less said about which the better) as a part of their 100% satisfaction guarantee. We just have to find the receipt, which I'm 90% sure we still have in our files.

7. New World of Warcraft Patch. (Yes, I am that big of a geek)

8. Our stupid neighbors are heating their house to at least 80 degrees... which means the heat coming through the wall is enough to keep our upstairs warm without having to turn on our heat. I feel kind of bad about this, but DH reminds me of the words of our putative fictional ancestor who said "There's nae law against the takin' advantage o' fools, Sassenach."

9. I have all the ingredients for yummy pumpkin bread in my pantry, I just need to find the energy to make it.

10. Our basement is ALMOST CLEAN! We can see the floor and everything! I was very scared that we weren't going to make it before our home visit next week, but it looks like we'll have everything tidied with time to spare. (I wish I could say the same about the upstairs of our house, but hey... one thing at a time.)

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2007, 12:23 AM

Old 11-15-2007, 12:32 AM

Hi... can I join in here?

With out writing a book I'll tell you what's going on in a nutshell

DP lost his job as the assistant manager and head of sales at a local sport and tennis club. We have two kiddos (3 and 5 months). I've been a SAHM with the occasional WAHM thrown in there when I can with some on-the-side self-employment type work. But it's something i CAN NOT do when the kids around.

We just looked in our bank accounts the other day and between the two of us we have a whopping $108. Rent is due on the 1st and our cuboards are getting bare. I just called WIC this week, but they wont be seeing us untill the 26th.

AND today.... joy of all joys, I was lucy enough to get to sit at DSS from 8:25 am till 2:34pm.... I ate some crackers while I was there and BF the baby.... I kept thinking, "I'm nursing in the waiting room of DSS... this is one for the baby books!":

We are quite beside ourselves and ready to rip eachother apart because we are so frustrated with one another. We had it OUT the other day.... yelling and screaming (I'm NOT some one who yells....... I think he and I have yelled maybe 2 times before today) and my poor DD was sobbing and told me to never talk like that to Daddy again (I yelled at him to SHUT UP and listen to me!). I felt/feel like the worlds worst parent........

I'm not even sure this is what this thread is for, I just needed to get this out there. I have no idea how long it's going to take for the food stamps to come in... or an unemployment check for him... or for us to get on medicaid so we can all get to the Dr. I "get" to go back to DSS tomorrow morning, bright and shiny at 8:15 so that I can get in there for the medicaid portion......

I'm sorry to be a downer but life sucks right now and I am beside myself. How does everyone else put on a happy face for the kids and pretend things are ok? It's 5 1/2 weeks till Christmas and I'm not even sure how we are going to heat the house:
Old 11-15-2007, 02:41 AM

Oi! I've started this four times now and it never comes out right so here goes for better or worse.....

HI! *waves* I'm DJ, AD Army Wife, Marine Mom to 1 and one STB an (almost) teen *gulps*.

I read here for a couple of months under a diff name but reregistered because that nick didn't fit me (not that I like that THIS one fits me but that's a rant for a later time) and I didn't expect to like it here so much.

While we are no longer low income, the days that we were made a HUGE impression on me and I'm forever in search of ways to stretch a dime into a dollar. Y'all are a true source of information and inspiraton! Thank you for that

I'll be upfront with y'all and say right here and now that I'm not very crunchy. I didn't even think of CDing, BFing was a DISASTER for me, I asked for a Demoral drip when I got the + preggo test results and the very idea of having to cook from scratch scares me sideways as me and mine would starve without outside intervention.

But I do have SOME redeaming qualities (I hope). I can make a dime wish it were a dollar just so I would stop fussing with it, write a killer resume, make a workable budget on just about any amount of income and know an IEP front, back and sideways. (This should be my personal 10 because trying to find these is HARD!)

I'm also a caseworker for Cash Aid and Food Stamps. And I was also on aid at one time and will NEVER forget my time on the "other side of the counter" and what that felt like. I'm not going to say otherwise, some of the comments from last month REALLY hurt my feelings (esp after a really bad day when I was running my hiney off to get everything done that I HAD to get done along with what I FELT needed to be done) but I can't say those vent's were not valid. But I will say that the system sucks on both sides.

So to sum up what was supposed to be brief *hi, this is me and this is what I have to add to this group* post - This is me, and this is what I have to add. I hope I can help at least one person since I've learned a lot lurking here and would like to give back.

DJ

P.S. And my spelling is horrible and I don't always time the time to proof it in spell check so please forgive me that weakness :P
Old 11-15-2007, 03:08 AM

Someone just freecycled my family a thanksgiving dinner!!!! Oh my gosh I am bawling. That is the first time I ever actually got a response after replying to a freecycle offer, and it was this. I wrote a little about our situation and that we might not even got to our extended family Thanksgiving depending on when this baby comes out. She wrote back and said to not worry about dinner this year and her family would provide it for us. I am just amazed at the generosity of some people. It is the things like this that remind me that the world isn't completely shot to hell. And all the mamas here. I love you guys.

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 03:59 AM

[QUOTE=ediesmom;9726716]
I, too, am way behind in my school work. Its so hard to be 'there' when the struggles out 'here' are so intence. Just food, clothing, shelter and transportation take up the majprity of my emotional and physical energy. Then I do mom my kids......, and have a f'ed up relationship, and do my volunteer work.

So, I need to write a paper today and study for a test tomorrow (plus the one I have to make up) I think the student mommas should start a thread for support, homework help, motivation, etc.. Up for it? I really don't need to feel like more of a failure today or anytime soon.

Hi ediesmom! I'm sorry you are having a rough time - and I hope it gets better soon. There is a StudentSupportThread in Working and Student Mamas.
We thought it would be a good idea too! Come join us.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:48 AM

Yes, I just finished the freaking 8 page (wound up nine) paper that has been haunting me for weeks. It might suck. I might even get a really bad grade. But I'm done with it. Done. Done. Done. And that much closer to the end of the semester.

Welcome, MomOnDaEdge!! Always nice to have a perspective from the other side of the counter, as you said.

Wow, I have to be up in just a few hours. I really need a coffee maker. Though if I had one I doubt I would ever use it.

Way too tired to post three things I'm grateful for. Oh, wait here are some:
1) A bed.
2) Done with the paper from hell.
3) A short day tomorrow at school.

Oh and thank you for offering to help me AuraKitten. I don't know that you could though. I just lack motivation lately. It's completely a matter of me not applying myself because my head is just filled with so many other things. I think now it will be more manageable. This paper felt like such huge hurdle that I just needed to get through. So now, for better or worse, it's done.

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
Old 11-15-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamoo View Post
Awesome! Thanks! Wow! 62?? all day!? LOL I guess I am spoiled. Of course it is really hard to knit with hands that are numb. LOL I think it'll get easier as we aclimate too. My kids are spoiked for sure running around nakie butt all day, I bet they will be clamouring for clothes soon. LOL

I will do the plastic on the windows for sure. I never did it before, but I bet I can figure it out. I hate paying over a fourth of my income on heating alone...that just sucks. SO I better get good at this weatherizing for the winter stuff.
We also use the wearther strips for under the doors, and any other place we find gaps. It is very cheap at Walmart. Before our landlord went temporarily crazy and gave us new windows, we used the plastic. DH would spend a lot of time using a hair dryer to really get it tight. It works really well!

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

Old 11-15-2007, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOnDaEdge View Post
I'm also a caseworker for Cash Aid and Food Stamps. And I was also on aid at one time and will NEVER forget my time on the "other side of the counter" and what that felt like. I'm not going to say otherwise, some of the comments from last month REALLY hurt my feelings (esp after a really bad day when I was running my hiney off to get everything done that I HAD to get done along with what I FELT needed to be done) but I can't say those vent's were not valid. But I will say that the system sucks on both sides.
Welcome MomOnDaEdge,

I know in this state the job you do sucks for a lack of better word. I hope you work in a good place. The one thing I always remember is how would I like to be treated. I am a family law paralegal. I have people freaking out all the time. I can ignore it or I can take a few minutes and put myself in their shoes and take the time to explain to them what is going to happen next and why its going ot happen that way.

BTW...not all caseworkers are evil. My mom was on medicaid last year after long term insurance and medicare ran out (she died in July). Medicaid made a lot of mistakes. Her caseworker was an idiot. When I complained at the state level and said what county I was from they knew who I was talking about. Anyway I got my mom reassigned to the caseworkers supervisor. He was awesome and rocked. He even appealed a couple of things for us to the state level and won. YA ANTHONY! And YES I wrote a glowing letter to his supervisor. I should not have done that because shortly there after he got promoted and moved to a different county. Anyway after my mom died, we got reassigned back to evil woman. She sent my mom a letter in c/o my dad saying how sorry she was that my dad passed away. She redid my parent's income based just on my mom's income and then awarded my mom food stamps besides medicaid. Um okay, my mom was the one who died not my dad. My mom was in a rest home in the end which medicaid helped pay for so why the food stamps? When I called her about she could not understand my dad was alive and mom was dead and unfortunately I did not speak Russian her native language.

Heidi
Old 11-15-2007, 09:11 AM

I used to be a substitute teacher and I am going through my old teacher supplies. I have lots of contruction paper and tons of crayons that I don't want to store anymore, if anyone wants some for their kids. Some of the crayons aren't brand new, but they are gently used. Just PM me. The shelter I work at is jammed packed with art supplies so my boss wont let me donate them there

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

Old 11-15-2007, 12:13 PM

good morning mamas

mamaondaedge, and all, I am always pissed at the SYSTEM, rarely a worker. In the years I have been on medicaid (and some others at times) I have had only ONE worker who wasn't suited for the job. By suited for the job I mean: in tune with what recipients are going through. I think she was burnt out......

so, my computer is having a moment. I'm a bit nervous. I'm doing a 'cleanup, but not sure if it will do it.....cross your fingers. I'm at the computer lab right now. I am actually blowing of my first class. Had a huge ugly morning with 11 y/o dd. We went to the "Phantom" last night and she was exhausted and grumpy this am. I bought into it ........on her level! Need a moment to unwind.

Its been so 'warm' here in maine these past few days. 50's feels good. I have the heat on 56 and it hasn't come on in days.

well, I should go.......gratitude for the day
1. the dog crate
2. $.50 bus rides
3. mamas on MDC who all make me feel "a part of"....very grateful

ediesmom

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWax View Post
I'm sorry to be a downer but life sucks right now and I am beside myself. How does everyone else put on a happy face for the kids and pretend things are ok? It's 5 1/2 weeks till Christmas and I'm not even sure how we are going to heat the house:
Honestly, I think this is the hardest part. You try so hard to make things work and you stretch and stretch those pennies until they scream but it's still not enough. And then you have to put on the positive face fro the kids who don't need to hear the adult problems of the world. My kids are all too familiar with "I'm sorry, there's no money for that today." Unfortunately there's no good way to turn down the requests and there's no good way to tell dd#1 taht I have no money fro a birthday present for her friend(it's getting harder and harder to do cheap gifts as she gets older). And when you aren't sure you can heat your house or make rent, it's so hard to be positive and put on that happy face and pretend everything is okay, especially for your kids who see you all the time and know you. If it helps, just know that you aren't alone. This thread is a lifelien for me. It's the only reason I pay the extra money for internet to be honest. I couldn't live without the commiseration of my online friends because I sure as heck have no friends in real life. And there's no one who understands. Just try to take each day one moment at a time and think creatively and cut corners where you can. Your utilities won't be shut off right away, they will give you 2-3 months. PLUS there's aid out there in the form of wic, food stamps, housing assistance, and heating assistance. It's hard getting on them but they are there and you CAN apply for them. Maybe watching a few kids during the day will make you some extra money???? I waitress at night and on the wekeends and I'm looking for a child or two to watch during the day for extra cash because I'm scraping bottom and entering my 3rd trimester and maternity leave is looming with no way to pay the bills.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Old 11-15-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather View Post

7. New World of Warcraft Patch. (Yes, I am that big of a geek)
To be on your thankful list, I'm guessing you're not a warlock!

(dr00d here )

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Old 11-15-2007, 03:02 PM

Old 11-15-2007, 03:34 PM

i juust need to share that I am SOOOOOOOOOOO proud of myself!!!!!

I did a 'system clean-up' on my computer and, while still a bit sluggish, I saved myself $75 for someone else to do it!!!!

i couldn't even open my mail yesterday, let alone this thread!

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
To be on your thankful list, I'm guessing you're not a warlock!

(dr00d here )
Nope, I'm a Rogue. So, not too much nerfing in this patch... for once.

Seriously, I was scared to post that because I was afraid everyone would go "OMG! You can't be poor if you can afford to play video games!". Which, to an extent is true... but yeah. DH has literally sold plasma to keep the Warcraft Subscription going. Since DS goes to sleep at 7:30 every night and none of our friends have kids and so don't get that we're pretty much stuck at home, WoW represents pretty much our only social outlet. So it's worth being thankful for.

Also, our freezer debacle just keeps getting more debacle-y. First, the freezer dies with about 30 lbs of meat in it, and we don't notice for months. So yeah... YUCK. DH decides he's going to clean it out, and we research and research and research to find out if we can do it and how to do it safely, only to find out that it's completely shorted out. BUT... we bought it from Costco, which has a unconditional satisfaction guarantee so they'll return our money or replace it. EXCEPT, they want the freezer back. The freezer is here in Wisconsin and we'd have to return it to Minnesota where my mom bought it. So we'd have to find a way to clean it out safely without being able to refreeze it AND find a way to get it all the way up to the Twin Cities... with a baby due in the next 5 weeks.

Frankly, I'm about ready to just put it on the freakin' curb and call it a loss. But we NEED that freezer, since we have an agreement to buy a bunch of meat in bulk from a local farmer who is giving us a great deal if we can take delivery before Christmas... and I was really hoping to stock up on turkeys and things over the holidays. But if we have to buy a new freezer, we can't afford to do either of those things. And I can't wait for one to come up cheap on Craigslist or Freecycle. :

Grrrr. :

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediesmom View Post
i juust need to share that I am SOOOOOOOOOOO proud of myself!!!!!

I did a 'system clean-up' on my computer and, while still a bit sluggish, I saved myself $75 for someone else to do it!!!!

i couldn't even open my mail yesterday, let alone this thread!
Hey mama! I'm proud of you too!!! Some people are afraid to do that stuff themselves. So for you!
Old 11-15-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Seriously, I was scared to post that because I was afraid everyone would go "OMG! You can't be poor if you can afford to play video games!". Which, to an extent is true... but yeah. DH has literally sold plasma to keep the Warcraft Subscription going. Since DS goes to sleep at 7:30 every night and none of our friends have kids and so don't get that we're pretty much stuck at home, WoW represents pretty much our only social outlet. So it's worth being thankful for.
That's pretty much how we feel about Gemstone these days. It's as close as I get to getting out of the house. :

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 11-16-2007, 12:05 AM

CAlimomyplease clean out your inbox!

Ediesmom You rock, girl. My hubs is the one who wipes our puter every few months.. its going on 6 yrs. old, but I wouldn't change it for the shmancy laptops my friends are getting. I went on one of those at a friends and couldn't even find the back button! I love my old PC; it works for me.

Belleweather; about your freezer.. keep stalking your craigslist and freecycle.. who knows?? Maybe you'll get lucky.

Whitewax; I really have no tips on keeping face with the kids. Mine are so little they have mostly what they need except for a doctor. I keep them happy, but I admit I do have a good cry at night sometimes, or a little frustration shown now and then, but I always say mommy's not mad at them, just upset because of xyz. Just being there to love them is the best we can give. As for older girl friends gifts; maybe a book? There are tons of places to find books for cheap. Or maybe take the bday friend to a $2 movie theatre if you have one around you.

Mum4boysI just want to say I am so sorry for your loss. My mom passed 7 yrs. ago when I was 20, my dad when I was 14. This holiday will be a hard one, but know that your mom still loves you whereever she may be, and hold tight to your family during this difficult time. Pm me if you ever need to talk, and please be easy with yourself.

As for me, I got the application for healthcheck/health choice for the kids and will bring it in next week, as well as apply for WIC. I have looked up food pantrys, angel food network, and manna food banks in the area and will try to find a nearby location and get in line with their delivery schedule.
I feel a little better already, since I can do something, I'm gonna try and do it. I am a little worried about getting state med. insurance and dealing with explaining why we dont vax, but I will have to cross that bridge later. I hope they dont bug me too much, b/c there is no way I'm vaxing my kids.
My tooth completely busted a week ago and I'm searching for a sliding scale, cheap dentist, dh thinks we should find a dental college and try and get it fixed there, I just hope nothing worse happens with it. It is a real pain in the arse. I've been thinking of working w/ ups just for the holiday season, I just dont know how it will work, dh would have to watch the kids, but it would only be for the season, so we'll see. If I do it, I have to get in right now for an interview. I also applied at a local CVS for parttime work, b/c it is so close and maybe I could work evenings when dh is home. They haven't called me yet, though. Oh, we have so many bills piling up, I dont even want to get into it. I also have a cup stuck in my garbage disposal and no $ to call a plumber. I wonder if I could dissasemble it from under the sink and get it out.. but I am scared to mess with it, and dh is not handy at all, I use our tool box more than him. Anyway, sorry to ramble on. I'll stop now.

Oh, one more thing! This brightened my day; I found 2! shipping fairies and will be sending 2 boxes to families in need from the holiday helpers... I am soooo happy I can help someone else, It makes me feel really good. I've already boxed up old clothes, shoes, jackets, blankets and some old books and toys we have and some half used art supplies. I hope they appreciate it, even if its not brand new.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

Old 11-16-2007, 12:38 AM

Can someone PLEASE PM me how to do multiple quotes ( There are many I want to respond to and I don't know how!
Old 11-16-2007, 12:56 AM

Also, our freezer debacle just keeps getting more debacle-y. First, the freezer dies with about 30 lbs of meat in it, and we don't notice for months. So yeah... YUCK. DH decides he's going to clean it out, and we research and research and research to find out if we can do it and how to do it safely, only to find out that it's completely shorted out. BUT... we bought it from Costco, which has a unconditional satisfaction guarantee so they'll return our money or replace it. EXCEPT, they want the freezer back. The freezer is here in Wisconsin and we'd have to return it to Minnesota where my mom bought it. So we'd have to find a way to clean it out safely without being able to refreeze it AND find a way to get it all the way up to the Twin Cities... with a baby due in the next 5 weeks.

Frankly, I'm about ready to just put it on the freakin' curb and call it a loss. But we NEED that freezer, since we have an agreement to buy a bunch of meat in bulk from a local farmer who is giving us a great deal if we can take delivery before Christmas... and I was really hoping to stock up on turkeys and things over the holidays. But if we have to buy a new freezer, we can't afford to do either of those things. And I can't wait for one to come up cheap on Craigslist or Freecycle. :

Grrrr. :[/QUOTE]

HI Belleweather,

Where in Wisconsin are you, how long from the Twin Cities? I am in St Paul, and I have a minivan that I can take the seats out and a freezer would fit in the back of. If you're not too far (more than 2 hours) away from the cities I could come pick it up for you and take it to Costco. Don't know how the paperwork end of it would work but I'm willing to haul it. Would likely have to be on a Tuesday though, that's about the only day I don't do childcare. PM me if you'd like help with that.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:03 AM

I got my work schedule for next week and it looks like I'll be living there Hopefully it will translate into some overtime.

Belleweather: Did your husband look into the PA program? Wasn't he meeting with a counselor to see about his transcripts> BTW, I was going to mention that Loyola has started an online Bioethics program.

S_Kristina: Did your DH getting that editing job with the production company he interviewed with?

I really need some advice. My son really wants a Crane for Christmas. And while I see cheap ones, I'd rather spend the money on a Playmobil one. I told my DH that I'm okay with us spending less on each other, because I'd rather get our son something he enjoys, than some cheap, crappy toy that will fall apart. Do y'all think this is spoiling a child?
Old 11-16-2007, 01:21 AM

Location: State of confusion at just about every turn, Or Louisiana
Good evening ladies. I'm off from work today and it was not all that great of a day. The new school princible would not allow us to have a conferance call for my son's IEP meeting. Now I have to find a ride to the next town and reschedule the meeting. Dh is getting on my last nerve. We are going through some things right now. Money is going to be tight for the next few weeks, but we will get by.

10 Things I'm Greatful For:
1) More hours at work. My manager was trying to move me over to days, but it looks like I will be going back to nights. Over 30 hours is a good thing.

2) My kids understanding about our money situation.

3) Having a free roof over our heads.

4) Being able to stay connected to others who know and understand.

5) Not having to pay for transportation.

6) My DS relearning how to walk after suffering a gunshot wound to the right frontal lobe.

7) Backrubs and earlobe caresses from a 3-1/2 yo.

8) Food for Families giving away commodities next week.

9) Having food in the freezer and fridge. Being able to get food from work at the end of close.

10) Having more that 0 in my savings account.

11) That I know how to sew.

12) WIC for the kids.

13) That the kids liked my homemade hot coco mix.

14) Hot coffee, even if it's instant and not Pumpkin Spice or Breakfast Blend. LOL!!!

10 Things That Would Make Life Easier

1) Dh to go back to woek and soon.

2) A vehical of our own would make #1 much more easier.

3) That we could afford to pay our gas/water/sewage bill soon.

4) Some jackets or hoodies to match the school colors. Heck, just some warm jackets.

5) Money for house repairs. Need anew drain line put in and some new breakers. We can do the work, just don't have the funds.

6) Some warm socks for the kids and me.

7) That I could learn to swallow my pride and ask for help.

8) That when I do finally swallow my pride, that someone out there would help me and not judge me.

9) That we had a non-medical transportation service in this parish.

10) COLD HARD CASH!!!
Old 11-16-2007, 01:23 AM

Ok, I need some help here from any mamas with experience with financial aid (school). I registered for classes for the full Fall term (Fall 1) and teh shortened, accelerated term in that semester (Fall 2). Since Fall 2 starts after Fall 1, I have to wait until Fall 2 term starts before I get the full amount of financial aid, because I have to be full time. This really messed me up about 2 months ago (I'm sure some of you remember, right?). Well, now Fall 2 started about three weeks ago and I have been waiting waiting waiting for my $1400 check, because that's how I'm going to pay my rent. So, today it finally went through and I was excited but waiting to see when they actually cut me a check, so I checked again tonight (just now) and almost had a heart attack when I saw that I now owe the school about $155. They did something called "tuition readjustment" and it ate my entire refund. I have two weeks to get $650 for rent, water and electric. I have $58 to my namem a completely empty gas tank, and $50 has to go dd's day care for next week even though she won't be going (it was in the freaking contract apparently). I have nothing to sell as I sold it all to pay last month's rent. I just wrote a long, rant-y letter to the school and got an instant reply with some generic info about fin.aid. I'm guessing I won't be hearing anything more. I have no where to go. No where. There are not even shelters anywhere near here unless you are in a DV situation. My mother wants me to come live with her because she says it is sick what a bad job I am doing raising dd and she needs to take over. Obviously, that is out of the question. I am so sick of being helpless. I'm really trying not to cry because I know it will only make me feel worse.

I *do* feel very grateful that I have two more weeks of shelter.

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
Old 11-16-2007, 01:41 AM

s lankylizard... I have no tips, I never had that happen with my financial aid... but lots of s

The next couple weeks are going to suck for us. I am SO glad that my parents let us live with them for free (we don't pay rent, food or utilities), that I got this seasonal job to make up for the CRAP hours Daymon has been working, and that he is home tomorrow to help me with a bunch of cleaning and moving that HAS to happen. He worked maybe 12 hours this week... probably less.... all that will go to his gas. Next week will suck too since he is only working 2.5 days due to our ultrasound and Thanksgiving. But at least I have my seasonal job and I am still getting my normal 20-25 hours a week. We will be fine.. I am just frustrated. I want to be able to move out and closer to his work SO bad but there is NO way we can afford it right now. I just hope work picks up for them (this is the slow season apparently) and we can move before the baby is born... no matter what we will be ok... I am just SO thankful for my parents.

Wow, that got really long... sorry about that... it has been a long day.

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
Old 11-16-2007, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyLizards View Post
Ok, I need some help here from any mamas with experience with financial aid (school). I registered for classes for the full Fall term (Fall 1) and teh shortened, accelerated term in that semester (Fall 2). Since Fall 2 starts after Fall 1, I have to wait until Fall 2 term starts before I get the full amount of financial aid, because I have to be full time. This really messed me up about 2 months ago (I'm sure some of you remember, right?). Well, now Fall 2 started about three weeks ago and I have been waiting waiting waiting for my $1400 check, because that's how I'm going to pay my rent. So, today it finally went through and I was excited but waiting to see when they actually cut me a check, so I checked again tonight (just now) and almost had a heart attack when I saw that I now owe the school about $155. They did something called "tuition readjustment" and it ate my entire refund. I have two weeks to get $650 for rent, water and electric. I have $58 to my namem a completely empty gas tank, and $50 has to go dd's day care for next week even though she won't be going (it was in the freaking contract apparently). I have nothing to sell as I sold it all to pay last month's rent. I just wrote a long, rant-y letter to the school and got an instant reply with some generic info about fin.aid. I'm guessing I won't be hearing anything more. I have no where to go. No where. There are not even shelters anywhere near here unless you are in a DV situation. My mother wants me to come live with her because she says it is sick what a bad job I am doing raising dd and she needs to take over. Obviously, that is out of the question. I am so sick of being helpless. I'm really trying not to cry because I know it will only make me feel worse.

I *do* feel very grateful that I have two more weeks of shelter.
You're full time now and you were part time during the Fall I quarter? The school gave you a cheaper tuition rate for the part time status, per credit hour (at least thats how my school always did it) so now that you're full time they're charging you the "fulltime" tution rate. At your school what is considered full time and part time? When you got your FAFSA was it based on your full time student status (tuition rates, etc) ?

I am so sorry that happened to you. Can you meet with your financial aid advisor tommorow and try and straighten it out?
Old 11-16-2007, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWax View Post
AND today.... joy of all joys, I was lucy enough to get to sit at DSS from 8:25 am till 2:34pm.... I ate some crackers while I was there and BF the baby.... I kept thinking, "I'm nursing in the waiting room of DSS... this is one for the baby books!":

I'm sorry you had to wait so long But thank you to do what was right for your child despite your suroundings. That's real conviction.

I have no idea how long it's going to take for the food stamps to come in... or for us to get on medicaid so we can all get to the Dr. I "get" to go back to DSS tomorrow morning, bright and shiny at 8:15 so that I can get in there for the medicaid portion......
There is a state mandated time limit on how long a worker can take to process your application. And you should have been told that at your initial interview. If you were not, it's in your paperwork. I believe it is 30 days (for Food Stamps) if you provide what is needed and in some cases, 3 days if you are eligible. Do NOT be afraid to DEMAND what your rights are! [/I]

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyLizards View Post
Welcome, MomOnDaEdge!! Always nice to have a perspective from the other side of the counter, as you said.
Thank you for the warm welcome I've been on both sides and hope that helps me be a better worker KWIM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
Welcome MomOnDaEdge,

I know in this state the job you do sucks for a lack of better word. I hope you work in a good place. The one thing I always remember is how would I like to be treated. I am a family law paralegal. I have people freaking out all the time. I can ignore it or I can take a few minutes and put myself in their shoes and take the time to explain to them what is going to happen next and why its going ot happen that way.

BTW...not all caseworkers are evil.
Sucks was the nicest word I could find that would pass *wry grimace* Thanks for the understanding. I've just been "talked to againnnnn" about how long I take with my interviews. SO sorry, I have the nerve to CARE about MY "customers". I take the time to explain the process to them and what their rights are - and in return I get a neg rating and complaints from the poeple who have an appt. behind them because "I made them late". It's a no win situation. I keep dog paddling in the hopes that one day I will catch up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediesmom View Post
good morning mamas

mamaondaedge, and all, I am always pissed at the SYSTEM, rarely a worker. In the years I have been on medicaid (and some others at times) I have had only ONE worker who wasn't suited for the job. By suited for the job I mean: in tune with what recipients are going through. I think she was burnt out......
ediesmom
Ediesmom- *I* am beyond angry at the "system"

Quote:
BUT... we bought it from Costco, which has a unconditional satisfaction guarantee so they'll return our money or replace it. EXCEPT, they want the freezer back. The freezer is here in Wisconsin and we'd have to return it to Minnesota where my mom bought it. Grrrr. :
I give this: Costco's corporate mailing address is:
PO Box 34331
Seattle, WA 98124

I am a little worried about you getting state med. insurance and dealing with explaining why we dont vax. You have the option in EVERY state to say it is against your beliefs and to SAY NO! And they HAVE to not only respect, but accomodate your beliefs.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOnDaEdge View Post
Can someone PLEASE PM me how to do multiple quotes ( There are many I want to respond to and I don't know how!
There are three choices on the bottom right hand corner of everyone's post. One is the regular Quote button, the one next to it is the multquote button. It looks like a plus sign and a quote sign.. you click it and it turns red. You click that box on every message you want to quote, and they will all be red. Then you click "post reply" and all of the quoted messages will appear in your type box.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:34 AM

I was blessed by an anoy angel.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Jaime View Post
There are three choices on the bottom right hand corner of everyone's post. One is the regular Quote button, the one next to it is the multquote button. It looks like a plus sign and a quote sign.. you click it and it turns red. You click that box on every message you want to quote, and they will all be red. Then you click "post reply" and all of the quoted messages will appear in your type box.
Wow thanks! I never could figure that one out!

User Tag List