November Low Income Mummas Support Thread - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#541 of 1296 Old 11-17-2007, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_kristina View Post
I just have to share. I posted both here about needing a shipping fairy and asked if anyone could help on the HH thread. I just got a PM from someone that is helping me ship some GUI to a little girl. I also found a couple other shirts that dd keeps trying to wear, but are really too small for her. That is going to be one stuffed full box. I am so happy to be able to help out another family this year even if I needed help to get the things to them
:
#542 of 1296 Old 11-17-2007, 05:55 AM

Shay what degree do you have?
#543 of 1296 Old 11-17-2007, 06:01 AM

Ediesmom!
Good for you for buying the supplements!
I have a sling your DD can have. It's a Mojo and comes with instructions and a video. Can't really describe it... PM me!
I'm so sorry about your car... And your friend! CPS... What can I say? I've dealt with them too... : : Praying for her!!!!
#544 of 1296 Old 11-17-2007, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle View Post
Whatever happens please check back on here even if you have to go to the library.

Avoid your mom at all costs! Abusive peple wont help you get ahead.

I wish you lived closer!!!!

:
#545 of 1296 Old 11-17-2007, 06:13 AM

CaliMommie! I totally rock at Spanish and my DH does too! What can we help you with and how? PM me! DH has free long distance and can call you to help if need be.
#546 of 1296 Old 11-17-2007, 06:15 AM

CaliMommie... OKAAAAY... They're your gps and their siding with x H? : You're in my thoughts, mama!

And Thistle, you're such a huge blessing to all of us here!!!
#547 of 1296 Old 11-17-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskennedy View Post
Shay what degree do you have?
2 pretty useless ones, I have a BA in Liberal Arts w/ a concentration in African-American Health & Wellness.. I also have a M.Ed in Administration & Supervision which I did in my school's dept of Organization & Management, so its not a true education degree but more like MBA lite, if that makes any sense. 5 years ago before I moved to Maine I was the program director at a homeless shelter, but since moving to Maine I have not been able to get comporable work, the one agency that I want to work at has clearly decided my name is mud :. I have applied there so much it isn't even funny.

So for 5 years I have been hobbling a living consulting, grant-writing, I also write for a local alternative paper and teaching as an adjunct. However since dh's business has started to tank we need more loot.

Lanky Lizard, my brain is frazzeled and since dd is up and about I don't have time to read back through this thread but when you say you being evicted do you mean, you have been officially told by someone other than the landlord that you have to go? I know in the states that I have lived in the only person with the power to issue an eviction is a judge and I know back in Illinois even when that happened you still got time and could ask for an extension.. is that possible at all where you are?

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#548 of 1296 Old 11-17-2007, 10:49 AM

ah, saturday morning and the house is empty! (well, except for all the 4-leggeds I can do anything and everything today! or nothing.....which is kinda where i'd like to go

lankylizards, catholic charities is great, but actual catholic churches is what i was thinking. And NETZERO is only 995 a month, and i think you can get it cheaper the first few months. Oh, and they have it FREE---but its only 10 hours a month 10 hours a month!!!!! I don't know about florida, but in maine it takes at least 30 days to evict, and that is after a 7 day notice.... you have some time?

shayinme- I live in portland, and i love reny's! i didn't know they did layaway. If you go in soon can you check to see if they have long sleeve t's in size 16 girls or small womens? DD is a big girl, she has been wearing all my t's, but its necessary. but we run out quick, and if she wears one to her fathers its GONE...: it would be worth a zoom ride down there if they were there at a good price. At GW they are 4.99!!!! I hate paying that for a used shirt. I hate paying that for any shirt actually.....yard sale 25cent purchases are my style what school are you going to? USM?

mrskennedy- i know what its like with the alternative therapies. edie had strep and i took her to the chiro/homeopath. I STILL owe him for the remedies---because insurance will only cover antibiotics for a strep....which i would NEVER give to dd (for strep!, or most anything) I do 'time dollars' for some of my alternatives, but really, i don't have much time to bank right now.and thank you, i will pm you about the sling! (that makes me giddy!)

it was on the news yesterday that the city is going to have free bus service on fridays for the next six weeks. not that i go anywhere on fridays, but its exciting. all those people saving 125, and not driving.

i don't know what to say about df and cps. she an amazing woman and momma. the call was made about her partner, from what i understand. and he is abusive to her. i'm trying to wrap my head around it. i'm just praying that i am not asked anything. all i would want to say is that she is amazing. absolutely. and her kids are great...she does a good job.

also on the news last night was that the electric company cannot turn off your power from now until april. i know i will still owe, but i won't freeze.

dd1 just about fell apart yesterday..... she was saying how all these different people are planning different babyshowers, and how she wants just one, and that everyone be at that one. her fathers wife is planning one, and she is so offended. so she asked me to call everyone (grandmother, stepmother, aunt, friends, etc.)and organize a big ONE. its what she wants, so i will do it, but that side of he family is a bit crazy. The stepmother divorced her father once already because of DV, but everyone stands by their belief that he wasn't abusive to me. 20 years later and i am over it (still hate him, but 'over it'). its one day and one event. it can either be her way or have her pissed. and she's a grumpy pregnant woman

well, gratitude

1. stella didn't eat any shoes last night
2. i baked a loaf of GF bread last night (not my favorite gluten free pantry bread, cuz they are poopheads, but bread) so i am grateful for bread
3. MDC mamas, cuz you guys make it feel good to be here

i get the feeling i will be back a million times today........................

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#549 of 1296 Old 11-17-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediesmom View Post

shayinme- I live in portland, and i love reny's! i didn't know they did layaway. If you go in soon can you check to see if they have long sleeve t's in size 16 girls or small womens? DD is a big girl, she has been wearing all my t's, but its necessary. but we run out quick, and if she wears one to her fathers its GONE...: it would be worth a zoom ride down there if they were there at a good price. At GW they are 4.99!!!! I hate paying that for a used shirt. I hate paying that for any shirt actually.....yard sale 25cent purchases are my style what school are you going to? USM?
Goodness, you are almost a neighbor! Small world, I have a feeling we might even know some folks in common since I know you mentioned attending a poverty conference, was that the MAIN fall conference by chance?

I will probably be back at Reny's early this week so I will keep an eye out for you since I live right in town in Saco and Reny's is in walking distance.

No, I am not applying to USM, I did my grad work at Antioch in NH, and I just applied to Southern NH University since they have a weekend counseling program, I am also applying to Goddard in VT. Since I have to work and go to school most of USM's schedules are no good for me especially with a 2 yo.

Yeah, GW is no great shakes, I don't like the one on St. John at all though the Biddeford one is a bit better.

Shay

#550 of 1296 Old 11-17-2007, 11:30 AM

yup, the MAIN conference......were you there? it was wonderful.

its funny how small this world is

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#551 of 1296 Old 11-17-2007, 12:05 PM

{{{{{{{{{{{{{CaliMommie}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Resistance is futile Matey
#552 of 1296 Old 11-17-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayinme View Post
We have a cool store here in Maine that still offers layaway which is a blessing.
WHERE??

Sorry to hear about the job finding difficulties Shay. I know my SIL has been bouncing around jobs lately because the pay just really sucks around here for laborers as well as those with college degrees.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#553 of 1296 Old 11-17-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
WHERE??

Sorry to hear about the job finding difficulties Shay. I know my SIL has been bouncing around jobs lately because the pay just really sucks around here for laborers as well as those with college degrees.
Reny's has layaway, granted they aren't uber cheap but they have some good stuff, especially as far as clothes. They also have Little People toys and overall not a bad toy selection. Last week they even had some Doug & Melissa stuff, not high end wood toys but hey I am broke, so I was happy with what they had. Only had to put down 10% too. Its shopping for ds which kills me, kid has a size 12 man's foot.. 2nd hand only goes so far with him.

Shay

#554 of 1296 Old 11-17-2007, 04:28 PM

]

#555 of 1296 Old 11-17-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMommie View Post
Boo-hoo! No hugs for me?
I'm sorry about the test! That's hard...and I wish I could help. Just in case you are interested, we started a Student Support Thread in Working/Student mamas. And -- um...i'm really mad at your gps!!!1 ::

LankyLizard: I want to help you so bad. It makes me so mad that the financial aid people didn't help you right! Sometimes they are useless, would go and talk to someone in person. I can't tell you how many times I've walked in, stood there, and finally found somebody that could help me. I've managed to stay in school and support my family. So...there is a way. Hang in there....
#556 of 1296 Old 11-17-2007, 07:43 PM

#557 of 1296 Old 11-17-2007, 08:59 PM

{{ HUGS }} to THYSTLE who is an angel here... !!!
#558 of 1296 Old 11-17-2007, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma earthical View Post
Where in Wisconsin are you, how long from the Twin Cities? I am in St Paul, and I have a minivan that I can take the seats out and a freezer would fit in the back of. If you're not too far (more than 2 hours) away from the cities I could come pick it up for you and take it to Costco. Don't know how the paperwork end of it would work but I'm willing to haul it. Would likely have to be on a Tuesday though, that's about the only day I don't do childcare. PM me if you'd like help with that.
That is about the nicest thing anyone has ever offered me, but I can't make you drive all the way out here. We're in Madison, and yeah... I'm not about to pawn my toxic waste off on anyone.

I *think* my mom is going to step in and help us out. I hate to rely on the 'bank of mama', but she's offering rather than my asking and well... we really do NEED the freezer, so I think I'm going to let her buy us a new one and sort it with Costco herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonrisaa29 View Post
Belleweather: Did your husband look into the PA program? Wasn't he meeting with a counselor to see about his transcripts> BTW, I was going to mention that Loyola has started an online Bioethics program.
He has a group orientation-thingie, and a meeting with the advisor next week (hopefully, we can beg childcare off someone... we're way on the 'debt' side of the ledger with our friends who we trade off, though.), where he'll get a better idea of what he'd have to do to be able to enroll, so I'll know more then. I think he's going to go that route, though... he's still interested and actively looking into it, which for him is pretty amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura_Kitten View Post
{{ HUGS }} to THYSTLE who is an angel here... !!!
Yes, indeed!

So, the one thing that I reeeeeeeallly wanted when I got pregnant with this babe was to have henna painting done on my belly before I delivered. So, I looked into it, thinking maybe I could pay for it with my birthday money or ebay something or whatever... and the only person who does Henna in my town is overpriced (she wanted $300 to do my belly!) and doesn't even draw... she traces her designs with tracing paper! :

So, using the power of the internet I bought tracing paper, henna, and an applicator for $15 and decided "To heck with her! I'm doing it myself!" I've got every Henna book in our library system on reserve and a promise of DH's help, and we'll see how it goes. DH says if it turns out well I should think about getting some business cards made up and a website created and do it as a side business. I've been looking for some sort of side-business to supplement our income, and I'm wondering if this might be a really good option...

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#559 of 1296 Old 11-18-2007, 03:23 AM

Location: State of confusion at just about every turn, Or Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle View Post
Ok I decided it would make me feel better about my crappy week if I just answered on here... so i went back a few pages. I hope I did not miss anyone... if I did it was NOT on purpose.

I am trying to do my own little version of HH on here.

sonrisaa29... get the crane. One nice thing does not spoil a kid!

Belleweather... will the local COSTCO really not take it? That sucks!!!! I would complain!

ibahippiemama... {{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}} I can't help with all but I could send socks, and might find hoodies in the right colors.
PM with addy, sock sizes and hoodi/jacket sizes and colors.

ediesmom... get the supplements. {{{{{hugs}}}}

WhiteWax... Welcome to the group! {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}

MomOnDaEdge... Welcome to the group! {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}} Some of us are only crispy and not crunchy.

natural_mama89... that is awesome about the dinner!!!

gradmama... how did your test go?

mum4boys... that is "special" about your dad's caseworker. {{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}

~*Jaime... you might try a women's shelter or even food banks to see if they might like the excess supplies.

justmama... could you offer to do a cool "girls night out/spa night" at your house and hand make a cool "gift certificate" to give your dd's friend? It could be cheap with homeade spa treatments and snacks with a movie you already have?

vannienicole... keep safe in that quarry!!!!

sunanthem... Good job getting all those things done! You should not have to answer any vax questions. If you get cornered just claim religious exemption or say your best friends baby died... whatever you have to. When I had it I did not have to answer anything about it. Good luck on your tooth! And try http://fixitnow.com/ about your disposal.

mamamoo... crossing my fingers your heat assistance opens soon! {{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}

Aura_Kitten... {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}

AngelBee.... {{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}

mommy2maya... {{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}

chely7425... Wooohoooo for mom!!!!!!!

Daniel's Kitty.... {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

janerose... {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}

You are such a sweet and caring mama. thank you for the offer.

HUGS to all the mamas who are hanging in there.

love and blessings
angie
#560 of 1296 Old 11-18-2007, 04:00 AM

...[/QUOTE]So, the one thing that I reeeeeeeallly wanted when I got pregnant with this babe was to have henna painting done on my belly before I delivered. So, I looked into it, thinking maybe I could pay for it with my birthday money or ebay something or whatever... and the only person who does Henna in my town is overpriced (she wanted $300 to do my belly!) and doesn't even draw... she traces her designs with tracing paper! :

So, using the power of the internet I bought tracing paper, henna, and an applicator for $15 and decided "To heck with her! I'm doing it myself!" I've got every Henna book in our library system on reserve and a promise of DH's help, and we'll see how it goes. DH says if it turns out well I should think about getting some business cards made up and a website created and do it as a side business. I've been looking for some sort of side-business to supplement our income, and I'm wondering if this might be a really good option...[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a great idea! I know lots of mamas who dig that kind of stuff. But who would pay $300 for it? That's ridiculous! For something that isn't even permanent? wonder where she came up with that?!

Today I am thankful I got some crafting done, I mailed an awesome package to a MIN, I got 4 DVDs from the library(love my library), and for having my hubby home again and making a great dinner for the family and his talk of a new business idea!

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#561 of 1296 Old 11-18-2007, 09:23 AM

belleweather, how big is that belly? was she charging by surface area? totally just joking. I actually can't think of anything more beautiful (or HOT, btw) than a mama and daddy henna-ing a big baby belly together. i think its a blessing that its overpriced, it sounds like a lovely experience.

my dd1 might enjoy doing that with her dp. I also want to get her a photoshoot. I think I can time dollar that for christmas...

I am so stressed about finances!!!!

I actually posted on craigslist for "philanthropic automotive repair service" I got all the stuff to finish plasticking my windows. but i have a blown shoulder and it is excrutiating to do it.

I had (partner) over last night for dinner and movies.(edie is at her dads) MH issues are really a buzzkill in the relationship department. I hope we survive this,....safely.

Mamas, we really need to believe that it is our right to not live on the edge financially. I really don't care if we are drop outs, grads with mega degrees, beautiful, homely, tallthinfatwhiteblackoldyoung.......we need to show the true face of poverty (and those that are threatened with poverty). We need to be the proud mamas that we are right out in public, showing how hard this is. It is not okay that we are ashamed of our poverty. LOOK at this economy. LOOK at this system. There is absolutely no way out of this if we don't unite and demand change. I think a single mama with one child gets less than 350 in TANF grant. I am sick to my stomach when i think of that. When a mama opens a check for 350 dollars at the beginning of the month, what does she do with it? What can possibly be the priority? And then what?OMG, really, and then what?

we gather here and garner support to buy vitamins, and cranes, and pajamas for our children. we can't pay our rent, and society doesn't have a safety net to pay it for us?!? That's outrageous!

Can you imagine if someone who had more than they need paid your tuition? or your rent or mortgage? Or got your teeth fixed so you feel good about your smile? so you could smile? That is not charity, that is solidarity. That is living in a society that is empathetic to the needs of the society.

I am not a socialist, or a communist, nor will I ever be one, because historically it doesn'twork. And I also believe in the constitution. BUT, look at us (and US)! The richest nation in the world and we have mamas needing jammies for their babies! I just can't accept it anymore.

:::::d izzy::::

got your church on? I know i am preaching to the choir this morning, sorry. I swear there are people out here working for change, but we need to let them know what our needs are.

google groups in your area that are realistically and comprehensively, and systemically, fighting poverty and give them a call. See if you can help in some way. The true face of poverty NEEDS to be seen in order for it to change. There are statistics galore. But mamas, we and our babies are not statistics. Its us.

I will now shut the f up. I am really so sorry i went on. I struggled with the delete button. but I needed to say it.

okay, so gratitude:

(if i can stop crying)
ok
1. MDC mamas....
2. this mug of amazingly dark strong coffee(fair trade)
3. my pain and anger....as motivator to incite change

i think i have totally flipped out. I am amazed at the long list of my needs that I "can't have" because of my socioeconomic status! And I am talking needs, not valid wants.

#562 of 1296 Old 11-18-2007, 10:48 AM

dang ediesmom, Good Morning to you! I am just starting my coffee, so that is all I have to say right now...

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#563 of 1296 Old 11-18-2007, 11:04 AM

Ediesmom, goodness I don't even know how to respond with other than you have given me some food for thought.. also maybe we should get together for coffee at some point and talk more in detail . So much to do.. more thoughts later.

Shay

#564 of 1296 Old 11-18-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
we gather here and garner support to buy vitamins, and cranes, and pajamas for our children. we can't pay our rent, and society doesn't have a safety net to pay it for us?!? That's outrageous!

Can you imagine if someone who had more than they need paid your tuition? or your rent or mortgage? Or got your teeth fixed so you feel good about your smile? so you could smile? That is not charity, that is solidarity. That is living in a society that is empathetic to the needs of the society.

I am not a socialist, or a communist, nor will I ever be one, because historically it doesn'twork. And I also believe in the constitution. BUT, look at us (and US)! The richest nation in the world and we have mamas needing jammies for their babies! I just can't accept it anymore.
You are RIGHT, it DOESN'T work, yet, that is what you are proposing. :

We do have safety nets- Section 8 for housing, Grants for low income people for ALL public utilities, you pay based on your income, TANF, Food Stamps, Child Care subsidies, childcare subsidies for mamas in school, medical insurance, free lunch for students, student aid for school. Yes, it is a lot to wade thru, and a lot of figuring out to do, but it IS out there. I am very new to this whole low income thing- my dh is out of work at the moment, but I've been able to find SO Much help so quickly, and I must say it has been SO helpful. We wouldn't be making it without. But, it is helping us move on and up, not something to stay stagnant on and live our whole lives on. I don't know, maybe I am not bitter enough yet, maybe I need to be in the system longer before I see that everyone owes me something.
#565 of 1296 Old 11-18-2007, 01:02 PM

mary, maybe your clothes haven't worn out yet, or your dc haven't gone through a growth spurt. Or maybe your vehicle hasn't lost its oomph. Maybe your family has remained healthy. Maybe no one is on a special diet, or is physically exhausted because of health issues. Maybe you have a close family that will fill in the gaps. Maybe in your area of the country assistance is enough to comprehensively meet your needs. God has blessed you. You are obviously much smarter than the rest of us, or me, anyway.

There are those of us who are much less fortunate, and even though we are taught by SOME in society to shut up and stop thinking we are owed something, we are still the face of poverty. Poverty is a social issue, not only a personal one. And I, for one, think it is time to silence the voice of prejudice against people who work their asses off and still live with the societal disease we refer to as poverty.

I do not feel I am owed anything. I work very hard. I am exhausted by the work I do. I am physically, emotionally and spiritually exhausted by the work I do. I work more hours in a day than many. Yet my needs are not met.

I am not one to dog a mama, but you have a whole lot of nerve to come here and demean the other mamas here. Insinuating they are lazy and seeking something for nothing. That they should be blanket grateful for the scraps allotted them.

So, not only is the fight for freedom from poverty, but NOW there is infighting among the poverty stricken? Its like during the fight for civil rights, people fighting because of the SHADE of blackness! Solidarity, mama. Really. This is a slap.

So, mamas, Mary is suggesting that we should accept that one of us is getting evicted! Hooray! And mama who wants to not buy the cheap toy, tough! And the mama who is having a hard time with FA---tough crap, don't you know its enough? And all of you who want to CD, use your freaking shirt off your back instead. Oh, I think welfare covers the cost of disposables.

I need to apologize to all who are offended at my piss-off. I just find this is my safe place, and there is an assault on our safe place.

I came back here today to see if I could continue the discussion about banding together to make a difference for ourselves and other who struggle as we do. And I do see mamas who are ready to open the eyes of society to the realities of poverty, but it has been overshadowed by such violent negativity----from one of our own, no less.

I need to go scrub a floor or something. Maybe weatherize my home so maybe I can afford to heat it. This will be difficult for me because I am waiting to get surgery on my shoulder----but the wait is long because of my WELFARE insurance. But, if i can get the pain med just right I may be able to handle the pain.

love you guys. sorry about the very unflattering, ugly anger

#566 of 1296 Old 11-18-2007, 01:08 PM

l

#567 of 1296 Old 11-18-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
belleweather, how big is that belly? was she charging by surface area? totally just joking. I actually can't think of anything more beautiful (or HOT, btw) than a mama and daddy henna-ing a big baby belly together. i think its a blessing that its overpriced, it sounds like a lovely experience.

my dd1 might enjoy doing that with her dp. I also want to get her a photoshoot. I think I can time dollar that for christmas...

I am so stressed about finances!!!!

I actually posted on craigslist for "philanthropic automotive repair service" I got all the stuff to finish plasticking my windows. but i have a blown shoulder and it is excrutiating to do it.

I had (partner) over last night for dinner and movies.(edie is at her dads) MH issues are really a buzzkill in the relationship department. I hope we survive this,....safely.

Mamas, we really need to believe that it is our right to not live on the edge financially. I really don't care if we are drop outs, grads with mega degrees, beautiful, homely, tallthinfatwhiteblackoldyoung.......we need to show the true face of poverty (and those that are threatened with poverty). We need to be the proud mamas that we are right out in public, showing how hard this is. It is not okay that we are ashamed of our poverty. LOOK at this economy. LOOK at this system. There is absolutely no way out of this if we don't unite and demand change. I think a single mama with one child gets less than 350 in TANF grant. I am sick to my stomach when i think of that. When a mama opens a check for 350 dollars at the beginning of the month, what does she do with it? What can possibly be the priority? And then what?OMG, really, and then what?

:::::d izzy::::

got your church on? I know i am preaching to the choir this morning, sorry. I swear there are people out here working for change, but we need to let them know what our needs are.

google groups in your area that are realistically and comprehensively, and systemically, fighting poverty and give them a call. See if you can help in some way. The true face of poverty NEEDS to be seen in order for it to change. There are statistics galore. But mamas, we and our babies are not statistics. Its us.

I will now shut the f up. I am really so sorry i went on. I struggled with the delete button. but I needed to say it.

okay, so gratitude:

(if i can stop crying)
ok
1. MDC mamas....
2. this mug of amazingly dark strong coffee(fair trade)
3. my pain and anger....as motivator to incite change

i think i have totally flipped out. I am amazed at the long list of my needs that I "can't have" because of my socioeconomic status! And I am talking needs, not valid wants.
Quote:
mary, maybe your clothes haven't worn out yet, or your dc haven't gone through a growth spurt. Or maybe your vehicle hasn't lost its oomph. Maybe your family has remained healthy. Maybe no one is on a special diet, or is physically exhausted because of health issues. Maybe you have a close family that will fill in the gaps. Maybe in your area of the country assistance is enough to comprehensively meet your needs. God has blessed you. You are obviously much smarter than the rest of us, or me, anyway.

There are those of us who are much less fortunate, and even though we are taught by SOME in society to shut up and stop thinking we are owed something, we are still the face of poverty. Poverty is a social issue, not only a personal one. And I, for one, think it is time to silence the voice of prejudice against people who work their asses off and still live with the societal disease we refer to as poverty.

I do not feel I am owed anything. I work very hard. I am exhausted by the work I do. I am physically, emotionally and spiritually exhausted by the work I do. I work more hours in a day than many. Yet my needs are not met.

I am not one to dog a mama, but you have a whole lot of nerve to come here and demean the other mamas here. Insinuating they are lazy and seeking something for nothing. That they should be blanket grateful for the scraps allotted them.

So, not only is the fight for freedom from poverty, but NOW there is infighting among the poverty stricken? Its like during the fight for civil rights, people fighting because of the SHADE of blackness! Solidarity, mama. Really. This is a slap.

So, mamas, Mary is suggesting that we should accept that one of us is getting evicted! Hooray! And mama who wants to not buy the cheap toy, tough! And the mama who is having a hard time with FA---tough crap, don't you know its enough? And all of you who want to CD, use your freaking shirt off your back instead. Oh, I think welfare covers the cost of disposables.

I need to apologize to all who are offended at my piss-off. I just find this is my safe place, and there is an assault on our safe place.

I came back here today to see if I could continue the discussion about banding together to make a difference for ourselves and other who struggle as we do. And I do see mamas who are ready to open the eyes of society to the realities of poverty, but it has been overshadowed by such violent negativity----from one of our own, no less.

I need to go scrub a floor or something. Maybe weatherize my home so maybe I can afford to heat it. This will be difficult for me because I am waiting to get surgery on my shoulder----but the wait is long because of my WELFARE insurance. But, if i can get the pain med just right I may be able to handle the pain.

love you guys. sorry about the very unflattering, ugly anger
:

ediesmom~ I just LOVE you posts, please don't be disuaded by the few who want to silence the truth in your words. You inspire me!

#568 of 1296 Old 11-18-2007, 01:56 PM

Well....um, good morning! Wow.

First of all, ediesmom, you rock. You are a huge inspiration and could seriously inspire revolution, which is probably what is needed. Yes, it sucks that someone would have the nerve to come to our supportive place and say negative things against us, but, you know what, I actually laughed when I read that post. Come on.....If you can get me Section 8, pay-what-you-can utilities, and child care subsidies, I will be in heaven. No, seriously. Maybe you should try actually applying for those things before you rant about how readily available they are. And, yes, someone does, indeed owe me something:the county, state, country that I live in, because they are the ones that don't even pay a living wage and have programs set up to keep you on said programs (until they kick you off). Sure, I could have thought about all of this back before I got pregnant and became a single mom. The thing is, though, that until you have been there in the depths of poverty, you don't really know how bad it is and how hard it is to get out from it. Ok, that's enough.

SO, apparently the internet co. doesn't disconnect on Sundays, because I am still connected. I haven't been able to find someone to pay my rent.....but no, (to answer a few people) I have not been offically evicted yet. I actually have until Dec. 1 to scrounge together $650, plus the $200 I will need for child care for the next couple weeks, plus gas. I suppose it could happen. If not, I think on the third day after rent is due, the complex can evict you. It is in the lease I signed. I don;t know if I still would need to go to court or what. I really hope it does not get to that point.

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#569 of 1296 Old 11-18-2007, 02:31 PM

well, because I have been inspired by this mornings events I thought I would post a few places that maine mamas could make their voices heard.

POWER, portland organizing to win economic rights, is a grassroots effort that meets every third monday at 6. contact jesse2 207-650-5092 OR www.povertyontrial.org

the Maine Center for Economic Policy www.mecep.org Nicole Witherbee is working on just our issues. She is committed. nwitherbee@mecep.org or 207-622-0239.

and our wonderful speaker, Glenn Cummings, is committed to policy change for people living with poverty as well. RepGlennCummings@legislature.maine.gov or 207-287-1300

There are people and organizations like this everywhere. They can and will spend their time and energy on this without our help, but it takes on a certain legitimacy when there are faces and stories attached to their work.

So many people have an image in their heads of what the face of poverty is. They really need to be shown the reality. That its my face. That its my dd's face. That we are hard working people. That we are just like them, without money.

shayinme, coffee sounds wonderful. Lets, soon.

here's a funny coincidence. I just opened yesterdays mail. I got a letter from my chiro's lawyer asking me to testify at DHHS, because they are trying to make him pay back over 17000 dollars. They claim he never saw mainecare recipients. Well, he's been seeing me for years, Thank God. They pay him 12.00 everytime he sees me. What an amazing doc, to see patients who need him for 12.00 and loads of paperwork, only to be sued by DHHS.

So, I'm sorry. The system does NOT work.

hopefully I will be able to say MUCH at the hearing

#570 of 1296 Old 11-18-2007, 03:28 PM

mommy2maya and any other lurkers or newbies... PLEASE know what you are talking about and PLEASE actually read the back posts before you post on here. This thread is for support ONLY!!!

If all of the government programs were real, actually worked and were well funded... no one would be on this thread. ANYONE who has actually read this thread could easily see that.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I dream of opening a center for moms/families with REAL support... a place to live, in center childcare, cars to share, schooling, training, therapy, etc... a REAL chance to get ahead and be self sufficent. A way to fill in all those little cracks that everything falls through.

How many times have I seen friends who lost benefits because they did not have gas money to get to the 5 million mandated classes to keep their crappy TANF?

Not have money for a single stamp to mail letter out?

No money for diapers, cloth or sposie?

No money to buy toilet paper?

No money for quarters to wash their clothes (which pile up for weeks or months)?

No money for therapy or mental health services?

Having to accept whatever crappy city service for said mental health, if even offered?

No money to fix a car, washing machine, dishwasher, etc...?

No money to go the doctor or get meds for the adults (many places you cannot get state healthcare for adults)?

No money for a dentist even though they have great pain or risk deadly infection?

No money for eyeglasses so they wear the same pair for 5+ years and deal with poor visions and headaches?

Slide by luckily at xmas time thanks to donations, but can't buy anything at birthday parties?

Get excited by finding used shoes at the thrift store that don't look THAT worn?

Wear the same fricken bra for years ans years, the one barely hanging on and is stretched out all funny because they can't even buy a $10.00 one at Walmart?

Have to eat off the food banks when most food banks send out crap and some send out bad food?

Have to open up ALL their personal info just to get some assistance from the state?

Have to be made to feel like scum because they have state insurance and get turned away from over 50% of the doctors because they wont take it.

Have to SHARE rooms with other poor moms on state insurance when they give birth because only private insurance moms deserve privacy?

Having no quaters to get on the bus to travel 50 miles over 4 hours to make it to an "appointment" dragging 3 kids who don't want to go, in the snow while sick.... because if she does not show up she gets "punished" by losing her food stamps the next month?

No emergency services, no openings at shelters, 2-4 year waiting list on Section 8, NO family... to see those moms living in cheap unsafe motels or on the street.

Having to say no ALL THE FREAKIN time when your kids ask for anything... including the $1.00 menu at McDonald's.

Having your kids get good at lying to avoid embarrasment at school.

Having people think you are poor AND lazy/sloppy, because they think you CHOOSE to wear your worn out clothes and shoes.

Breaking down in your car with your kids and having NO ONE to call for help.

Breaking down in your car with kids on the way to do something with those kids that they were looking forward to for soooo long, and having no one to call to help.

Having your phone cut off because you paid the heat instead, and then having no way to call for help or take any of those 5 million messages for the workers that make you jump through hoops to kep your paltry "benefits".

Having to wait in line 2, 4, 6, 12 hours to recieve that 1-2 gifts for your child for xmas, or that turkey, diapers, coat etc... because you have no money or family to buy that.

To live in constant fear that your kids will be taken away because you can't pay for everything ALL at once.

To tell your kid no they can not do scouts, swimming, sports, etc... because you cannot afford the $15 fee to sign up.

To have your kids think that going to the food bank is the store.

To get substandard food and be expected/told to be grateful just because poor people should shut up and be happy for anything.

To not have current pics of your kids because you can't afford school pics, portraits, or film.

To wonder how you are going to get by this/next month when your period comes and you have nothing for it so you end up using washclothes or wadded up toilet paper.

When you feel ashamed of your status and try to hide it and then have someone you know see you standing in line or at a food bank.

When you can never have a vacation with your kids.... when you can never get a break for yourself, when you truly start feeling like life is not worth living because it will never get better...

When that depression fills you and you have the bad bad thoughts and the days when your kids dont even seem to keep you "here"...

Ok maybe I should go take a breather too...:

Resistance is futile Matey

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page