Mothering Forum banner

November Low Income Mummas Support Thread

36K views 1K replies 64 participants last post by  Aura_Kitten 
#1 ·
I know it's a bit early, but I thought I would start this thread. (Mostly because if I don't force myself to start the thread, I won't post at all, and I really need the support...)

On a previous support thread, someone called life below the poverty line "bone-grindingly hard". That phrase is so perfect. I feel like I'm already doing all I can in the 24 hours I have every day, and it's still. not. enough. I work 40+ hours per week in an office. You'd think I'd make enough money to live on, but just trying to keep my 4 children fed, clothed, healthy, sheltered and warm takes just about everything I make, and then when you add school supplies, birthdays, Christmas, et cetera, and I just want to give up and cry.

This year, it's even worse. Nearly all of our quilts and blankets are finally giving their last gasp (they're all really old and get regular use), and winter in Montana is long and cold.

I'm so tired of not being able to provide my children with the life I want them to have. (I know they don't need ipods, mobile phones and 150 television channels, but is a warm bed too much to ask?
)

Thanks for listening to me whinge.

See less See more
#1,083 ·
Wow, CaliMommie, what an amazing thing to do! Even just to consider. I actually clicked on the link in your sig. a few days ago, but thought maybe it was just something you read about. It did occur to me to ask, but I haven't had such a great memory lately. Also, about your family, it is strange that she just showed up all of a sudden. I agree with Thystle, it sounds like it's meant to be, for some reason.

Hugs to everyone. I am struggling with dd at 10 pm to get her to fall asleep. I have until 8 am to write a fourteen page literature review which is about 1/5 written and a corresponding fifteen minute presentation with power point.
: I'm grateful that after this paper, all of the big, icky (there's a scholarly word for ya) papers will be done for the semester. Then I will just have a few smaller papers and finals. I'm grateful that I've been reconnecting with some old freinds IRL and it really feels like I'm building a support system, finally. I'm so so so so grateful for you amazing mamas here.

#1,084 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LankyLizards View Post
Wow, CaliMommie, what an amazing thing to do! Even just to consider. I actually clicked on the link in your sig. a few days ago, but thought maybe it was just something you read about. It did occur to me to ask, but I haven't had such a great memory lately. Also, about your family, it is strange that she just showed up all of a sudden. I agree with Thystle, it sounds like it's meant to be, for some reason.

Hugs to everyone. I am struggling with dd at 10 pm to get her to fall asleep. I have until 8 am to write a fourteen page literature review which is about 1/5 written and a corresponding fifteen minute presentation with power point.
: I'm grateful that after this paper, all of the big, icky (there's a scholarly word for ya) papers will be done for the semester. Then I will just have a few smaller papers and finals. I'm grateful that I've been reconnecting with some old freinds IRL and it really feels like I'm building a support system, finally. I'm so so so so grateful for you amazing mamas here.

Awww, thanks
I just know that she has suffered so much & she is such a sweet little girl.. i was very close with her mom when we lived at the RMH. I remember one time I was so distraught over DS being so very sick (literally, having a cold could have killed him) and I was telling her (the mom) that I knew G-d had a purpose for what was happening but that I just couldn't see it. She told me "I think He put you her for us. I needed someone like you to talk to." I feel so blessed that DS2 is healthy now, and I would give anything to help Amanda & Tracey (her mom) find that peace too. They are simply inspirational.

As for my sister, I think I am going to take it very very slow.

Good luck on your paper!

#1,085 ·
this thread totally exploded while I was away, but I wanted to say...

Quote:

Originally Posted by natural_mama89 View Post
Iris Payge born at home in water at 10:04pm on November 23, 2007!!!!!! She weighed 6lbs 7oz and was 20 1/4" long. She also nursed like a champ from birth. I am tired now. Her labor was way harder for me than my labor with my son. Except I only pushed for 10 min.
I had a massive pushing urge.
I just wanted to let you guys know she was here!!!! I would have last night, but my midwife didn't leave until after midnight and I needed to rest.
CONGRATULATIONS!!
I'm so happy for you!!

#1,086 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ediesmom View Post
RACHEL!!!!! i have a poochinese, too. He's VERY handsome and fancy! this just proves to me that I HAVE to get my photos online......so I can show off the kids!

my pooch is Pip. the absolute best dog I have ever had
: 11 lbs of pure loyal love

and then there's Stella....she's a cocker-apso (
) 20 lbs of sheer terror to the kitty and the pooch. she looks like a mini old english sheepdog. and she's quite the poochinese hunter

your girl is delicious! Thanks for sharing......i love pekes
My babies are tiny... Cupcake is 5.5 pounds and Tinkerbell is 13 pounds... amazing how much trouble they STILL manage to cause!!!

#1,087 ·
Hi all you mamas, sorry I'm not responding individually but
to everyone. Thanks Jaime for the info on multi quoting and I will try it sometime that I have more time and energy. Right now I just want to vent and/or whine. I hate, hate, hate, being so poor that my 14yo son is hungry all the time because there are no instant snack foods for him to eat. No fruit, no nothing. I'm so overwhelmed and busy looking after other peoples children to try to earn money to buy food that I have no time or energy to go grocery shopping or to bake the cheaper delicious yummies for him. I hate, hate, hate it.
He gets so angry when he's hungry and I react to that, and then I feel guilty on two counts, 1) for not realising he's hungry, and 2) for not having better snacks etc ready for him. He's only 14 but he's 5'8", has a 14 mens shoe and wears a 40" waist in trousers so he needs a lot to keep him going. I should be in bed trying to sleep, preparing for tomorrow, I've got extra childcare this week which is great because that will make up for the days I missed last week with the holiday, but I really need to go grocery shopping and I don't quite know how to fit it all in to an already busy day!

Sorry for the rant but it feels better off my chest. Thank you mamas for being here to listen.

#1,088 ·
It's almost 1 am and I am up supposedly writing a huge paper that is due tomorrow. I cannot concentrate at all, though and am not even halfway through. I am really tired and starting to get really freaked out about not having rent for this week (due Friday) and then I just got an e-mail from one of my professors of an online class that she cannot open my midterm paper. I turned it in a week ago and she just got around to trying it today? So I now have a zero. I worked so hard on that stupid thing, missing a night's sleep practically and because she is lazy I got a zero? If she had tried it the first day I sent it to her, I would have still had time to re-send it. The last day to turn it in was Friday and I sent it Tuesday. At this point though, I just get a 0. And because of that, I will likely fail the course. I am going to drop it I think. Wow, I'm depressed. The paper I am supposed to be doing is for a class in which I got a 46 on the last test. So I really cannot afford to get another bad grade. Maybe this post is more geared to the Student board. I just feel like everything in my life comes back to me being poor. I never would have taken four classes, with two accelerated online classes if I hadn't needed the full amount of financial aid money. And look where that got me. I didn't get the money anyway due to some policy and I'm doing horribly in school. I really think I need to get some sleep. I cannot believe that I am supposed to somehow do a fifteen minute presentation tomorrow morning on a paper that isn't written. I think I'll sleep now and just talk to my professor tomorrow. And next semester things are going to be much different. Somehow.

#1,090 ·
, momma earthical. It looks like we posted at exactly the same time. We need to get some rest. Have you looked at www.hillbillyhousewife.com? She's got some cheap, easy, filling snack recipes. Maybe your son could learn to make them himself? I hope you are able to get some rest and have a better day tomorrow.

#1,091 ·
LankyLizards,
! Tell someone higher up, like a dean or someone else, about the online paper she couldn't open. You shouldn't get a 0 just b/c she didn't try it earlier! DUH! You sent it on the day it was due? THen she should have tried it then, or at least you shouldn't get a penalty b/c she didn't. Profs think they're better than us when really they only have degrees and jobs they think they can't lose... Sorry, I have issues with profs--major ones that I never could resolve. So it really pisses me off to hear things like this. She doesn't do her job, and you get blamed for it. N.I.C.E!
:

#1,092 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliMommie View Post
oh, forgot to mention that I am looking into being a living kidney donor for a young girl that we met at the Ronald McDonald House at Stanford when DS2 was sick. If you want to read her story, click on the name Amanda in my siggy, then on email archives (they go from newest to oldest).
WOW! I wouldn't do that...

#1,094 ·
I just got another e-mail from her. She can't open my other paper either. The one I spent all day yesterday doing. My other online professor has no problem opening anything I send her. I am so ready to be done with school and dealing with this nonsense. The last thing I have felt like doing with practically every waking moment lately is writing papers about things I couldn't care less about. And then some woman I've never even met gets to decide not to even give me credit for them?
:

#1,095 ·
Lanky, can you send them to someone else to see if he/she can open them? That way you can see if the problem is on your end or her end. If its on her end, then you gotta holler about it. Actually, I think you should holler about it anyway. You shouldn't have gotten a zero! Anyway - if you want to pm me, I'll give you my email addy and we can see....

#1,096 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrskennedy View Post
momma earthical! Can your DS make his own snacks? And/or make you a list, or--a long shot for a teen if I remember right...--go shopping himself?
: It would maybe take some stress off you...

Thanks for the hug. I needed that. If I had the money to send him for snacks I would but the nearest store to us is Wholefoods! He normally does make himself snacks but I need to have the fixings in the house for him to do that. He's usually satisfied with a piece of fruit (or two, or three) but I don't even have that. Really must shop tomorrow!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LankyLizards View Post
, momma earthical. It looks like we posted at exactly the same time. We need to get some rest. Have you looked at www.hillbillyhousewife.com? She's got some cheap, easy, filling snack recipes. Maybe your son could learn to make them himself? I hope you are able to get some rest and have a better day tomorrow.
LankyLizards I'm so sorry for the zero mark thing that totally sucks.
to you too. I'll have another look on that website, I did try it once but we have some food sensitivities and I didn't have the patience, or time to read the whole site but I think I need to try harder. I hope that you manage to get a
of magic to help you out with your rent and bills. I am so priviledged to be in a situation where the rent and utilities are covered by our caretaking duties.

And yay I managed to multi quote for the first time ever!!!! WOO HOO!

#1,097 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrskennedy View Post
LankyLizards,
! Tell someone higher up, like a dean or someone else, about the online paper she couldn't open. You shouldn't get a 0 just b/c she didn't try it earlier! DUH! You sent it on the day it was due? THen she should have tried it then, or at least you shouldn't get a penalty b/c she didn't. Profs think they're better than us when really they only have degrees and jobs they think they can't lose... Sorry, I have issues with profs--major ones that I never could resolve. So it really pisses me off to hear things like this. She doesn't do her job, and you get blamed for it. N.I.C.E!
:
: That is exactly what I was going to say. Tell her that since you sent it on time, you expect her to let you resubmit it without penalty or you are going to go to the head of the department. That is just not right. What is the paper that you are writing tonight about?

#1,098 ·
Quote:

: That is exactly what I was going to say. Tell her that since you sent it on time, you expect her to let you resubmit it without penalty or you are going to go to the head of the department. That is just not right. What is the paper that you are writing tonight about?
I started to write to someone, but I am sooo tired and grouchy that I decided against it. I tend to get a little overly dramatic. I'll write tomorrow morning. The paper I *should* be doing tonight is on Howard Gardner's theory of Multiple Intelligences. I am seriously falling asleep though. It's now 1:17 here. I have to wake up at 8. And DD is sleeping next to me. Sleep is calling.

#1,100 ·
Thank you, CaliMommie! I've done papers on it before, actually. Which is why I chose it. I am supposed to do a literature review of at least ten journal articles about the topic, though. So I have to read them (sorta), write about them and present the whole thing. Maybe if I had a coffee maker....or if someone brought me Dunkin Donuts coffee (see, this is where a boyfriend comes in handy!).

The Evil Professor (
) just e-mailed me yet again telling me to just copy and paste my paper into an e-mail. I'm sure she'll deduct points, but that's better than a zero. SO, I also e-mailed the other paper too....

Thank you, too, gradmama, for the offer. I think the problem is that I have Word 2007 and she has 2003. That happened with someone in one of my classes. So the whole thing is Bill Gates' fault......

Wow, I actually feel myself getting a second wind. This
: is me right now. Going to write about multiple intelligences......

#1,101 ·
Oh, I have so dang much trouble with Word 2007. I type my papers at home and then print them at schooL, but I have to use Works b/c whenever I use Word it comes up as symbols instead of letters whenever I try to open anywhere except for at my house!

Lanky~ If I lived near you I would totally bring you coffee!

#1,102 ·
Quote:

Oh, I have so dang much trouble with Word 2007. I type my papers at home and then print them at schooL, but I have to use Works b/c whenever I use Word it comes up as symbols instead of letters whenever I try to open anywhere except for at my house!

Lanky~ If I lived near you I would totally bring you coffee!
Aww...thanks!

#1,103 ·
morning mamas!

not that much different this morning. but i need to stay in contact.

chely...awww, 5.5 pounds. is she full grown? Stella, my x, is a gamer.....so she chases everything and is pretty rough. I think i say'please don't eat the pekingese' about a dozen times a day! a 5.5 pounder would have a heart attack. Pip hates her. He used to be so dignified, now he's a squeak toy for a juicy hairy mutt, poor pooch.

and computer problems.......I can so sympathize. I either have to go to school to do my converting and printing, or to the 'org' office. Not having the right tools for the job is frustrating.

well, gotta shower, make dd's lunch...........

gratitude
1. support of the mamas here. it was a very bad day yesterday.
2. good advice from a friend. i'm going to call the DV helpline and see if they can help with this whole mess
3. its gonna be warm in maine today. maybe I won;t have to look quite so 'sta-puff' to be comfortable

thanks for the support yesterday, mamas. a cornered poor mama ain't a pretty thing

#1,104 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by natural_mama89 View Post
Iris Payge born at home in water at 10:04pm on November 23, 2007!!!!!! She weighed 6lbs 7oz and was 20 1/4" long. She also nursed like a champ from birth. I am tired now. Her labor was way harder for me than my labor with my son. Except I only pushed for 10 min.
I had a massive pushing urge.
I just wanted to let you guys know she was here!!!! I would have last night, but my midwife didn't leave until after midnight and I needed to rest.
CONGRATULATIONS and welcome Baby Iris.

Okay I was upset last night and accidently deleted a voicemail from a bill collector I believe. He said the message was for Liam M. Ya Liam is 8 years old. We have not received anything in the mail. Maybe it is a good thing I deleted it. If they think we owe a bill they need to put it in writing to us. I am not dealing with anyone over the phone.

On that happy note or not the test results are in on Liam and its not good. As you all know Liam has not been doing well. We were waiting to get into GI at Children's. Well our doctor did all kinds of test on Liam just to make sure something else was not going on. Well something else is going on. Liam has a parasite and something wrong with his pancreas. He is not absorbing fat whether this is a symptom of celiac's disease or not we are not sure. He got into the GI clinic and will be seen next Tuesday. He just lays around on the couch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.