November Low Income Mummas Support Thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 1296 Old 11-06-2007, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yay, CaliMommie, that's so great about your house! Scary that your apt. was broken into though. I hope you are sleeping with a baseball bat near the bed.....

And, for AngelBee. I really hope you are feeling better soon and you figure out what's going on.

Fingers crossed for you to get that job mrskennedy!!

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#182 of 1296 Old 11-06-2007, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyLizards View Post
Yay, CaliMommie, that's so great about your house! Scary that your apt. was broken into though. I hope you are sleeping with a baseball bat near the bed.....
No baseball bat, but we have more than one gun : We keep the larger ones locked in a gun cabinet and the smaller ones in a steel locked safe (keys are hidden out of the kids' reach). We are very safety concious with the guns. DF is a former Army Ranger as well as a former sheriff. I definitely feel safer knowing that we could protect ourselves if need be! I also have a large, heavy flashlight next to the bed on my side

#183 of 1296 Old 11-06-2007, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle View Post
Do any of you ladies have food allergies or kids with food allergies? Maybe we can all help each other with that too.
Two of my children have celaic's disease and the 3rd is being tested on Friday, so no gluten. Maggie seems to be senstitive to a lot of cheeses so no off brands. I can eat tilamook cheese no problem but if I eat Kruger brand she is very spitty. GO FIGURE.

My 8 year old is loosing weight at alarming rate. He has two weeks to gain weight or else they are going to do a feeding tube which the supplement for the feeding tube well its hard to get gluten free. Since we have been gluten free we are spending now about $300 a month on groceries which we cannot afford. I had to borrow money last month to feed us. I swear most of it goes in the garbage can as ds will not eat. I hate wasting food. Our doctor said at this point she could careless what ds eats along as it high calorie. We have had her for a dr. for a long time but I was embarressed to say well we cannot afford to take him to McD everyday. He will eat chicken nuggets yes I know it has wheat in it but at this point some calorie is better then none. Anyway I am stressing over that ds is not eating how much we are wasting etc etc.

Oh dh is not to eat meat for a few weeks. We just got back from the doctor's office on that. Its quite funny as I think all he eats is meat.

Heidi
#184 of 1296 Old 11-06-2007, 02:05 AM

I need to know. What are you wahm's doing?

Ashlee - wifey to Josh , mama to Gavin 9/2007 , and expecting a baby GIRL 7/20/10.
#185 of 1296 Old 11-06-2007, 02:27 AM

Hi, NotBroken, you might want to try going to the WAHM Well to get some ideas. I am a FT student and live off (ok, term used *very* loosely) financial aid and loans. So....yeah, not much help. Welcome, though!

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#186 of 1296 Old 11-06-2007, 08:58 AM

good morning ladies!

the conference was amazing! people really ARE paying attention to the poverty issue. I will tell all about it between classes.....mornings are rushed around here!

AngelBee, I had debilitating joint pain for years. I was finally diagnosed with Celiac! I have none of the other celiac symptoms,,,,,,except 'brain fog'. It took forever to be diagnosed, but within days the joint pain and swelling was subsiding and I could actually walk up stairs. Please look into that.....your list of tests is all too familiar to me. I had also been diagnosed with depression----nope---celiac.

gratitude for the day
1. woke up just in time to save the clothes from getting wet on the line.
2.armour (again, I just love it!)
3. MDC lower income mamas,,,,you really are getting me through an incredibly difficult time.

a big one, I was at the business office at school yesterday and asked about my student loans. they were posted yesterday and will be available for me to pick up on thursday!!!!!!!!! PARTY!!! (not really, just sounds like fun)

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#187 of 1296 Old 11-06-2007, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBroken View Post

I work from home as a paralegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediesmom View Post
good morning ladies!

the conference was amazing! people really ARE paying attention to the poverty issue. I will tell all about it between classes.....mornings are rushed around here!

AngelBee, I had debilitating joint pain for years. I was finally diagnosed with Celiac! I have none of the other celiac symptoms,,,,,,except 'brain fog'. It took forever to be diagnosed, but within days the joint pain and swelling was subsiding and I could actually walk up stairs. Please look into that.....your list of tests is all too familiar to me. I had also been diagnosed with depression----nope---celiac.

gratitude for the day
1. woke up just in time to save the clothes from getting wet on the line.
2.armour (again, I just love it!)
3. MDC lower income mamas,,,,you really are getting me through an incredibly difficult time.

a big one, I was at the business office at school yesterday and asked about my student loans. they were posted yesterday and will be available for me to pick up on thursday!!!!!!!!! PARTY!!! (not really, just sounds like fun)
I am glad the conference was good. I am still laughing about Toosie. I did a paper on that movie. I cannot remember what class. It was a million years ago.

My children have celiac's disease. My 8 year old has juvenille arthritis which was caused from the celiac's. 1 and 133 people in the USA have it but only 1 in 5,000 are actually diagnosed.

Heidi
#188 of 1296 Old 11-06-2007, 12:31 PM

#189 of 1296 Old 11-06-2007, 01:43 PM

I went to WIC today. A bunch of dumb/bad things happened... First, there was a fire alarm, and we all of course, had to go outside. We went out a stairwell, but no one told us we couldn't come back in that way! So there we all were, about 20 or so of us, standing in the stairwell where we'd gone out, waiting for someone to let us in. Apparently, they expected us to go around the building and go in the front door. Gee... Thanks for telling us...

Then, I went back for my appt., and the lady asked me for proof of income, residence, immunization, etc. I said, "Uh, I don't have any of that. The last time I was in just to pick up checks, and I was told I only nneeded to bring the baby this time." So then she said this was a BF recirt., and I needed everything I didn't have. : Again, thanks for telling us... I verified with sis that I was only told to bring DS, b/c I thought I was crazy. Sis agreed. So it was their mistake.

THEN, she said she NEEDED an immunization record, and I said we're claiming relig. exemption. So she said she needs a form for that. That was fine with me, but it was another thing I didn't have. What really got me about the whole appt. was that she said they have to keep everything, esp. shot records, updated for the state. I guess I knew that... But her saying it set off red flags for me. I mean, there's a vax registry, people generally don't like/agree with non-vaxers, and I don't want people calling me, bugging me about DS's vax status, etc. (I was involved with CPS once and don't wish to be again... So anything I think I can do to prevent it, I do, which means not drawing attn. to us!)

So anyway, I only got one month of checks for not having the requed. stuff. That I understand.

But I also understand/know I'm def. dropping out of the program. I don't want to be bothered by more people telling me how they think I should parent my child--feed him, vax, BF only for so long, etc etc. I'd decided to drop out before, but went to this appt. b/c I didn't feel like canceling it. : But now the thought of going back is worse.

Plus we're doing ok without the help. The eggs, some of the milk, and the cheese we do use. But I'll just have to find a way to either afford them on FS, or cut them out. No big deal, really. The big deal is that I'm tired of having my privacy invaded.

Oh and FYI sis saw a roach in the WIC office today! That's another reason I'm not going back! Actually, I think it's more b/c of that than anything else. But the other things don't help.
#190 of 1296 Old 11-06-2007, 01:46 PM

I'm a WAH writer when I can find work, and when I'm done with Career Step I'll be doing medical transcription.
#191 of 1296 Old 11-06-2007, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskennedy View Post

THEN, she said she NEEDED an immunization record, and I said we're claiming relig. exemption. So she said she needs a form for that. That was fine with me, but it was another thing I didn't have. What really got me about the whole appt. was that she said they have to keep everything, esp. shot records, updated for the state. I guess I knew that... But her saying it set off red flags for me. I mean, there's a vax registry, people generally don't like/agree with non-vaxers, and I don't want people calling me, bugging me about DS's vax status, etc. (I was involved with CPS once and don't wish to be again... So anything I think I can do to prevent it, I do, which means not drawing attn. to us!)

So anyway, I only got one month of checks for not having the requed. stuff. That I understand.

But I also understand/know I'm def. dropping out of the program. I don't want to be bothered by more people telling me how they think I should parent my child--feed him, vax, BF only for so long, etc etc. I'd decided to drop out before, but went to this appt. b/c I didn't feel like canceling it. : But now the thought of going back is worse.
I totally understand why you would be scared. I've never had an issue with CPS but I know so many people who have. We just fly under the radar I guess. But I am really really careful to LOOK mainstream with most stuff because with the separation from my husband and the divorce not even filed yet, I really dont' need him trying to find ways to take my kids. Kinda trying to keep him happy to avoid a bogus CPS report(it happened to someone I know over a divorce). You never know what people will do once you back them into a corner. So I can't blame you for wanting to get out of there quickly and not attract attention. That's all you need, huh?

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#192 of 1296 Old 11-06-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
I totally understand why you would be scared. I've never had an issue with CPS but I know so many people who have. We just fly under the radar I guess. But I am really really careful to LOOK mainstream with most stuff because with the separation from my husband and the divorce not even filed yet, I really dont' need him trying to find ways to take my kids. Kinda trying to keep him happy to avoid a bogus CPS report(it happened to someone I know over a divorce). You never know what people will do once you back them into a corner. So I can't blame you for wanting to get out of there quickly and not attract attention. That's all you need, huh?
We certainly look mainstream, which helps. And we know what to/not to say to people; that also helps. But DH and I are both blind... WHich is what got us into trouble in the first place! Fortunately, we did have a lawyer, and Big L only had to have one convo with CPS to put them in their place. But still... If we weren't blind, the ILs wouldn't have called, and I wouldn't have had PPD/PTSD. But anyway... So yeah, we look as mainstream as they come!
#193 of 1296 Old 11-06-2007, 05:13 PM

I really hope discrimination was the first word out of the lawyer's mouth besides law suit. That's compeltely ridiculous. :

#194 of 1296 Old 11-06-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
I really hope discrimination was the first word out of the lawyer's mouth besides law suit. That's compeltely ridiculous. :
Uh, yeah, that's exactly what he said.
It was still a PITA though... But thank goodness it's over and we have our sweet DS!
#195 of 1296 Old 11-06-2007, 05:19 PM

That is very surprising that WIC gives you so much trouble! At my WIC office I just tell them I don't vax and they leave me alone. I do have to remind them like every appointment, but they have never said anything bad about it at all.

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#196 of 1296 Old 11-06-2007, 05:21 PM

And we don't really "look" mainstream at all either. Or at least I don't.

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#197 of 1296 Old 11-06-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural_mama89 View Post
That is very surprising that WIC gives you so much trouble! At my WIC office I just tell them I don't vax and they leave me alone. I do have to remind them like every appointment, but they have never said anything bad about it at all.
: In fact, the nutritionist we saw asked for copies of Mothering so she could do more research on no-vax. And at the weekly BFing meeting there are quite a few moms who are leaning towards no-vax & they allow & encourage the dialogue.

#198 of 1296 Old 11-06-2007, 08:28 PM

My oldest is 7 and she was on wic until age 4. Her sister has been on it for a year and I've been on it for this pregnancy so far. And last re-cert was the first time someone mentioned vaxes to me. She was looking at our file and realized that they have no vax history for her. I have some vaxes for her so I told her I'd have the doc fax them over but she said don't worry about it. Bring in the info next time you come(in 3 months!!!). And she didn't even bat an eye when I told her that Lu wasn't fully vaxed. That's so odd to me that people are getting up in arms at wic appts over vaxes. It's just so foreign to me. But we have a great wic office and they actually applauded when I told them that Lu nursed until 22months and that I would be nursing this next babe. They told me that my kids are the healthiest eaters they've ever seen and they can't find any nutritional problems. : And I even had a long discussion with the dietician about our local consignment shop and what the best day to go was. Apparently she has a serious love of gymboree but can't see paying full retail price so she loves our local thrift store for her daughter's wardrobe!

#199 of 1296 Old 11-06-2007, 10:20 PM

Ladies.... I am sending the boxes out tomorrow, should get to you all by early next week at the latest.

All the stuff is clean but has been packed up for awhile... incase it seems "stuffy". No smoking, but I have cats... just to warn you all!

Amy if you happen to read this.... your next box is going out with theirs.

MrsKennedy.... that sucks! When I was on WIC they were really cool and even forgot to ask about vax records. No issues at all. Heck they stopped asking me if I needed info and said I could be their poster child for bf'ing since I had done it the longest!

Maybe we should have our own little $0/no-low spend xmas in here? Maybe everyone can motivate each other?

And food allergies... my littlest has a ton and wears a Medic Alert bracelet and carries an Epi-pen. Not sure if you all know but Medic Alert is actually a non profit and will pay for your service if you can't afford it. Just FYI. Any of you mama's have a fav goody recipe for the holidays that are safe?

Heck anyone want to share their fav holiday goody recipe?

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} }}}}}}}}}

Resistance is futile Matey
#200 of 1296 Old 11-06-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
And food allergies... my littlest has a ton and wears a Medic Alert bracelet and carries an Epi-pen. Not sure if you all know but Medic Alert is actually a non profit and will pay for your service if you can't afford it. Just FYI. Any of you mama's have a fav goody recipe for the holidays that are safe?

Heck anyone want to share their fav holiday goody recipe?

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} }}}}}}}}}

Thank you so much for that info on medic alert - I have been trying to save back the funds to get DD a medic-alert bracelet. Is there a particular person we need to talk to or program to ask for?
#201 of 1296 Old 11-06-2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBroken View Post
I'm a BF Peer Counselor for WIC. We do like 2 hrs a month in the office, the rest is all from home via phone. I'm also working on getting my medical transcription training through Career Step. I've also decided to start applying for transcription jobs. I do have over a year of acutal transcription experience, so between that, my BA, and the fact that I'm enrolled at Career Step I'm wondering if I can't get something before I graduate...

Oh, and I sell stuff online. Nothing exciting, just stuff my kids have outgrown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural_mama89 View Post
Yes, it is a shame WIC varies so much from place to place. Our WIC office could care less that we don't vax. I have to remind them most appointments too, but I figure they see SOOO many people each day. Obviously their computer program must not carry the information over. Having worked in that type of job, there are lots of "stupid" questions you have to ask each time because the programs are written that way.

Quote:
Any of the previous homeschoolers still on here????? There were quite a few of us in the beggining.
We are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
We are having issues with taking care of my health and eating nutritionally right now. I have to get this all figured out.
Please check out this page on fibromyalgia if you havn't looked into it yet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibromyalgia

My father struggled with this for about 5 years before being diagnosed. It is terribly frustrating and scary! and sending lots of prayers that you'll get answers *soon*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamoo View Post
These next months are go ing to be so dang tough. I do not know how to deal with this stuff. It's not just the poverty, but that is a lot of it. Thank goodness for foodstamps, and housing. I don't know where we would be without it.
My mom is going through a very difficult split from her partner of 5 years (and she'd known him for like 30 years before they started dating!). Basically he was just not at all the person she'd thought he was. He up and disappeared on day while she was at work. Leaving her stranded (because he'd insisted on driving her to work every day of course) & making me take my newborn DD2 out in -20 degree weather to pick her up from work. Now we're dealing with DD1 and how she's feeling about loosing her "Poppy". One day he was there & the next he wasn't. Very confusing. People like that make me so :

-------

Things are pretty much the same here. We're getting by. I feel very blessed to be able to pay our bills on time each month, put food on the table, and have a few (budgeted) treats. Still, it's frustrating to never have anything left over at the end of the month. To always have to be checking the bank account or falling back on credit to pull you through the last few days of the month...

Today I'm thankful that:

~ ILs bought both girls winter boots & DD1 a new pair of shoes for winter. DD1 got her first pair of lacing shoes and she's so proud :

~ DH got an appt next Tuesday to visit the school he's applying to for his Masters. It's in a neighboring town where we have an aquarium pass. My mom will come with us for the day & we'll do stuff while DH has meetings. Is it bad of me to be happy that Mom will also pay for the ferry & food (meaning all I'll have to pay is gas) ...

~ We have two healthy kids.
#202 of 1296 Old 11-06-2007, 11:30 PM

3 good things:
~We get to move this weekend
~I am actually getting good grades this semester
~The kids are happy & healthy
~Dan is doing much better healthwise

#203 of 1296 Old 11-07-2007, 12:18 AM
DBZ

MrsKennedy, are you in Florida (you dont have to answer)? Your WIC post reminded me of the nightmarish visits I'd have there. What a PITA.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#204 of 1296 Old 11-07-2007, 12:21 AM

I am surprised about a lot of the problems people have been having with WIC too... here they are awesome!!!! Half the ladies who work there had homebirths and did extended nursing.... they are totally chill about everything!!

Things are going pretty well over here... we got officially engaged this weekend and I keep scratching myself with my ring... can we tell I am not used to wearing jewelry??

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#205 of 1296 Old 11-07-2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMommie View Post
3 good things:
~We get to move this weekend
~I am actually getting good grades this semester
~The kids are happy & healthy
~Dan is doing much better healthwise

Sorry your mother isn't happy for you. We are!!
And, look instead of listing 3 things, you accidentally listed 4!

My 3:
1) Food stamps were deposited today!!
2) DD went to bed at a reasonable time.
3) My brother offered to give me some $$ for gas, and I didn't even ask him. (And I could soooo use it.)

#206 of 1296 Old 11-07-2007, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chely7425 View Post
Things are going pretty well over here... we got officially engaged this weekend and I keep scratching myself with my ring... can we tell I am not used to wearing jewelry??
Congrats on the engagement! We just got engaged also!

#207 of 1296 Old 11-07-2007, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyLizards View Post
Sorry your mother isn't happy for you. We are!!
And, look instead of listing 3 things, you accidentally listed 4!
You're right, I did! Long time since that's been the case

And yay for gifts of gas money!

#208 of 1296 Old 11-07-2007, 12:48 AM
DBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chely7425 View Post
I am surprised about a lot of the problems people have been having with WIC too... here they are awesome!!!! Half the ladies who work there had homebirths and did extended nursing.... they are totally chill about everything!!

Congrats!!!

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#209 of 1296 Old 11-07-2007, 01:26 AM

Congratulations, Rachel! I'm so glad that things have worked out for you. (Careful with that ring though!!)

#210 of 1296 Old 11-07-2007, 09:28 AM

good morning mamas! what an interesting day yesterday. glad its today

I got behind at school some time ago ( a dv issue, but thats resolved, don't worry(he's gone)). Well, in one of my classes I got back two papers that I crammed to make up. I wasn't very optimistic.....I got an A and an A+
I am really so excited. It put a whole new spin on what I am doing.

Then the mamas here are amazing. you know who you are.

The conference the other day was so inspiring. The legislature out there to evel the field really gives me hope that people won't always be living in such poverty. And its not just 'us' fighting. I think for a long time I have seen this as a fight that we were doing alone, but after listening to the heads of non-profits and members of the legislature (and the governors office) I think that people are on the right track. The solutions are not band aids, which I am so sick of seeing, but real solutions. Raising wages to meet needs, actually looking at being a human being in this society is a need that should be met. Comprehensive ways of giving people a hand up.

I think I am still digesting it all. I will have to write more specifically as things arise for me. But i do have hope. I haven't had much faith in the system (and their are issues, obviously) but can see that there are people of all socioeconomic standing fighting this vehemently and with results.

The thing that rocked my world (negatively) was information that I got that my friend is being physically abused by her husband. I am reeling. Her children are scared and at risk. She hasn't confided anything in me, I think because she knows how I feel about DV. I am a bear who will not put up with violence around children. The offender MUST leave the premises immediately. You can work on your relationship from a safe distance, but the children, if at all, should only see it once. The moment the children are aware of it, it needs to go. Before, if you can see it coming.

So, that threw me. I don't know how to let her know that I know, and how I know. And I am really close to him.

Oh well

3 things
1. my dd's
2. warm clothes
3. financial aid checks (well for thursday, but i am excited today)

well, edie wants help with a shrine to one of her favorite teachers who passed last week. Oh, its been a wild one around here lately!

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page