November Low Income Mummas Support Thread - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-08-2007, 01:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
That really sucks about the gluten. I feel for you. Since we have been gluten free our food has gone up about $100. We are spending about $300 a month for 7 instead of $200. I did get some rice pasta for $1.00 a bag so that helps.
Very curious! What do 7 people eat for $200-300???
We're 3... And admittedly I don't know how much we usually spend on groceries, just that we have $240 in FS and have come close to using it all one time. I'm tracking groceries this month, so we'll know soon. But anyway, I'm still interested to know what you get for so little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2007, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyLizards View Post
Geez....how fitting since we were talking about FS here. I just ckecked my mail and have a letter from DCF stating that my FS will decrease to $186/mo, starting next month. That is going to be tough. Really tough. However, that combined with WIC should be ok. I hope. They also state that DD's regular Medicaid will end and she will get Medicaid for Children (MEDS). Is there a difference? Does anyone know? I wonder why all the changes.

What state are you in?
Old 11-08-2007, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sweeties1Angel View Post
We only get $259/month in FS for me, DH, 6yo DS, 2yo DD, and 9month old DD. That doesn't cover our monthly food buying so we have to supplement. We were turned down for LIHEAP this year because they say we make too much money . How can we make too much if we qualify for FS????
DAMN! That's simply rediculous!!! Is there some way to appeal that? I hope things get better for you and your family!
Old 11-08-2007, 01:26 AM

Angie! What size do you wear? With any luck I'll be able to find some warm things for you...
Old 11-08-2007, 01:40 AM

BTW, FS is our only source of grocery money, and we don't use it all every month.

I just frickin wish we could buy household stuff with FS! (Who doesn't...?) B/c they require cash that we rarely have... We don't even buy anything we don't NEED. I'm even seriously considering not buying any presents this year, just b/c we can't truly afford them. Anyway, suffice it to say that FS is enough for us, which is good, b/c if they weren't, we'd have to not eat. Whatever income we have is taken up with bills and the occasional household supplies--TP, etc. We do have a tiny savings act... But with paying tuition and the oil prices being what they are, it may not be around much longer! And we worked so hard to get it where it is...
Old 11-08-2007, 01:44 AM

AngelBee, my DH would be horrible with money if I let him. But I don't. The rule around here is that I do every single thing that has to do with money, and he gets his allowance--which has been fluctuating b/c of more important things, like filling the oil tank. Fortunately for me, he understands how bad he is and agrees with my running the finances. If he didn't it would be horrible, on top of not having any money. So although it stresses me out, I do it b/c I know we'll make it this way.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:51 AM

CaliMommie, congrats on the engagement!

Sorry your family is being.... this way... : Mine is a bunch of A!@#$s too, except for sis and BIL who I swear are angels! I know how you feel...
Old 11-08-2007, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
MrsKennedy, are you in Florida (you dont have to answer)? Your WIC post reminded me of the nightmarish visits I'd have there. What a PITA.
No, I'm in PA.
But I'm sure I'd rather pay for heating oil in FL than here! :
Old 11-08-2007, 01:54 AM

chely7425 congrats to you too!

I want to be engaged... Too bad I'm married!
Old 11-08-2007, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursingnaturalmom View Post
Mrs. Kennedy, You are facsinating to me. Truly amazing, parenting by itself is a feat, I cannot imagine doing it blind. Please do be offended I'm not trying to pry, just truly amazed. YOU ROCK!!
Thanks! Actually I needed to hear that just now...
Old 11-08-2007, 02:12 AM
DBZ

Things I am thankful for today
1) I was able to get a new nursing bra
2) Talked to a friend I haven't chatted with recently

and

3) The HOLIDAY HELPER forum is OPEN!! WOOOHOOOOO!!!

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

Old 11-08-2007, 02:21 AM

s to everyone who needs them. s

1) amazing kids(lucky I have them...they are almost always on my list)

2) an amazing counselor

3) foodstamps, and good food

btw I get about $640? I think a month for me and 5 kids(one who doesn't even eat yet). I use them all every single month. I don't budget them well, drink soda(yes, I know...I am trying to break that habit!), and probably buy too much meat/cheese. But...we go through a TON of fruit and veggies in a week. We eat about 8 pounds of apples, bananas, and carrots each in a week...for an example.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
Old 11-08-2007, 02:32 AM

I think ours will change... but before, I had about $450/month for me and the three kids (mike was working, and on a separate "household"). We actually fed all five of us and managed to put a fair bit of food into the freezer... which is why we didn't all implode when we lost the food stamps. The freezer was definately something to be greatful for. Absolutely. I did use every bit every month, but I think we were probably only using about 3/4 on food we ate that month. The food issues in our family are minimal-- we drink soy (which WIC doesn't pay for) and the kids like vegetables, so I used food stamps to buy veggies and fruits, bread and tortillas, as well as household items like baking soda, and then I'd put things in the fridge. I was also able to save money on gas this way, beacuse our local grocery store has "gas rewards" points... you could get up to 50 cents off /gallon.

Of course, this was all before mike lost his job... so the poop pretty much all hit the fan at once. : I've got one more roast in the freezer, and some frozen loaves of bake-it-yourself bread, but nothing else. I asked mom if I could have her extra rewards free turkey this year because we need to roast things to heat the house... I feel extra guilty about that with the girls both (yeah, both now) wheezing like little bellows. :

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 11-08-2007, 02:44 AM

Now that I think about it, I do usually have 5-15 dollars left, I guess I just feel like I should have more. However, we do have 4 kids and my husband works from home so he is eating all meals (except breakfast) here. I also have to pack a lunch and a snack for one kid and just a lunch for the other. We are pretty stocked though and I'm greatful for that.

I'm sorry about your wheezing babies. Do you have a humidifier? Also, if you can borrow the money now, Medicaid will back date 3 months (at least here in wisconsin they do) but you have to ask for it.

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
Old 11-08-2007, 03:09 AM

Oh, eilonwy, I am so sorry about your dc. Medicaid *will* pay some previous med. bills, so if you are really worried, do not hesitate. Can't you go to the ER and they will help you with Medicaid? I am pretty sure they will. How about a hot shower - the steam anyway. It might be a short term (water bill-raising) solution. I hope they get better soon.

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
Old 11-08-2007, 03:54 AM

*sigh* The trouble with the hot shower solution is that our hot water comes through our furnace... which has been eeking by on five gallons of kerosene at a time because we don't have any money to put oil in the sucker. : We were expecting to move, so we didn't think it would be a big deal... but right now that's not looking like it's going to happen before the cold sets in (because, youknow, it started to get cold two weeks ago). It wouldn't raise the water bill, but it would make it impossible to heat the house temporarily, even to the meager 58 degrees to which we've set the thermometer.

That said, I'd take the girls in if I thought they'd be willing to give me a nebulizer without the medicaid cards. As it stands, I may ask my mom if *she* can get a nebulizer for herself, so that I can use it for the girls... I got ours to work tonight, but it's less than pleased.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 11-08-2007, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
While reading through the posts here I am : :

Just wanted to let you all know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Anyone have a dh/partner that is not good with money and will not follow a budget? My dh is such a hard worker but he grw up EXTREMELY poor (outhouse, floor boards that did not fully cover floor in MN winter, etc) It is like when he gets "extra" (really needed to pay bills and such) money, he spends it. He will surprise the kids with a DVD or a treat.

I don't know how to get him on board with me. We are one medical emergency away from totally sinking. God has provided. We are warm, fed, and clothed. But we are in the danger zone.

I just can not seem to get him to commit to a budget or compacting. We talk about having the same goals, but he does not follow through.

Anyone been through this or going through this?

PS This is not to talk bad about him. He is a wonderful dh, daddy, and provider. I just would like to make some more progress toward our goals together.
You have described us.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:11 AM
nym

I'm so stressed out all the time. I thought we might have a small cushion so we wouldnt end up eating oatmeal and PB&J all winter and it was eaten up by my need for tires. Now I have to figure out how to pay for the tires and find extra money for food.

Why is it food is always the thing that money gets taken out of?
Old 11-08-2007, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Holiday Helper is in full swing. Please, if any of you need help this holiday season, just ask! Click the link in my siggy for the thread!
Old 11-08-2007, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather View Post
We got $408 in food stamps for me, DH, DS and new baby to be... or that might have been a supplement because I was pregnant. This was when we were earning no income at all, so apparently that's the max for a family of three + fetus in Wisconsin, if that's at all helpful.

I got my first look at the new federal changes to the student loan program today and I just about started bawling in my chair at work. Seriously, read this. Then check out their calculator. This is going to make SUCH a difference to our family! Switching to the income based repayment will reduce my payments from $800 a month to $350. If we can make it through until that program starts with deferment and a wing and a prayer having this baby might not have completely ruined our financial life the way we thought it would. And it means whatever DH borrows to go to school to be a PA will qualify for income-based repayment and forgiveness after 10 years, which makes him going back to school possible. I almost want to write congress a big sappy love letter for this... almost.

Thank God. This has been one of my big fears about having gone back to school. Thanks for posting that link and giving me a shred of hope.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:26 AM

Old 11-08-2007, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
*sigh* The trouble with the hot shower solution is that our hot water comes through our furnace... which has been eeking by on five gallons of kerosene at a time because we don't have any money to put oil in the sucker. : We were expecting to move, so we didn't think it would be a big deal... but right now that's not looking like it's going to happen before the cold sets in (because, youknow, it started to get cold two weeks ago). It wouldn't raise the water bill, but it would make it impossible to heat the house temporarily, even to the meager 58 degrees to which we've set the thermometer.

That said, I'd take the girls in if I thought they'd be willing to give me a nebulizer without the medicaid cards. As it stands, I may ask my mom if *she* can get a nebulizer for herself, so that I can use it for the girls... I got ours to work tonight, but it's less than pleased.
Did you apply for LIHEAP yet? There is emergency aid for people with no fuel oil, I believe in addition to the regular winter grant. LIHEAP opened monday.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:00 AM

good morning mamas

well, i am grateful for the holiday helpers thread being opened, but it makes me feel so sad in a way. for the organization that i do work for I am the fundraising chair. I spend months soliciting donations for area moms......not unlike HH, but mostly cash and donations from area businesses. I am really good at meeting the needs of the community. I don't know, maybe I get a little feeling telling me that if i was working instead of volunteering I would be able to afford gifts. But then I think that the volunteer work i do is so incredibly edifying and that truly what I need, for my spirit to be edified, not spend what limited time I have at a low paying job that would barely help, and that would detract from my work for the community.

gratitude for the day

1. my strength, don't know where it comes from, but glad its there
2. warm blankets, i'm having one of those ' i need cuddly' days
3. the (relative) health of my family

have a good day mamas

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:30 AM

Good Morning,Mama's!!

Everyone in my house seems to be getting a cold. : My oldest just had bronchitis a few weeks ago. Oh The joys of being back in a school : :

Did energy assistance yesterday, YIKES!! I was there 30 minutes before the doors opened and was told to come back after 1pm. I arrived about 145 and still waited until 330 to be seen. I'm glad its done though. Just irritated it took a full day.

Interesting about the Holiday helper, I will have to look into it. I have a daughter who's birthday is in a few weeks and I have no idea what we are going to do about that, say nothing about christmas.

C

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
Old 11-08-2007, 10:49 AM

Lurked for the last few months, thought I'd bop in this month and say hi.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed by the stress of making not enough to pay for everything we need, but just too much to qualify for assistance. They cut off overtime at DH's plant for the winter, so we're reapplying for WIC and hoping we meet the income guidelines - that alone would make a huge difference. The grocery bill and the heating bill are our two big sources of stress right now - seems like we're cold all the time and the bill is still ginormous! :

Anyway, just posting and subbing

Sandi - Work at home writer mama to Zoe the monkey girl 9/06 and Luna the zen baby 8/08
Old 11-08-2007, 12:06 PM

Check into LIHEAP, if you qualify for WIC you might qualify for some heating help.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I'm so sorry you all are having such a rough week. My heart was breaking just reading this. I really wish I was in a position to help everyone and not just commiserate.:

I called LiHeap yesterday to be told by a recording that "we are not taking applications right now. goodbye!" Nice huh? No one answered, no info as to when they ARE taking applications and as you know, once they are you have to RUN down there immediately to apply because they don't give out applications. You have to be there in person and they don't tell you when they open for applications. So you have to just be on the lookout daily. :Another instance of the poor being treated like dog poop because the rich CAN do it. Makes me so angry. Honestly, I just want to cry I'm so angry. I don't understand.
Off topic to make me feel better, here's a pic I took this morning of my toddler in her car seat(I was posting on another board to check on strap height because it's a new car seat.). But her chocolate covered face(yes I know but she finished a healthy breakfast and wanted a pumpkin chocolate chip cookie I baked last night and I couldn't refuse her little smile) and huge eyes just BEGGED to be posted for those having a bad day. Hope it helps a little. It made ME smile at least.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...gs/11_08_0.jpg

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Old 11-08-2007, 01:05 PM

Your daughter is sooo cute!!!!! I am grateful for today:

I have all of the supplies for my new little one's birth ready and waiting (I am 37 weeks now).

A local charitable organization, if you will, that I am involved with called yesterday and told me they have an opening for one of those "adopt a family for the holidays things" so I guess my lo's will get something from "me" for Christmas. I know they wont remember, I just feel sort of guilty knowing I probably can't get them anything. I just have to call them today and tell them what sorts of things we want/need.

DP's mom gave us a blender. This is good because we have a bunch of frozen fruit and I can make smoothies with it now.

I will throw in a fourth. we will be getting half of our deposit back when we move out $500.

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
Old 11-08-2007, 01:21 PM

Justmama I've had many a trip with my local social services or charitable people (within a charitable organization). I fricken hate automated recordings too. I wish they would think of people's feelings more, but I think all they are thinking is how much backlog of work they have plus an already overworked phone system (IME). It's enough though for me to take days just to call about something. Does your local SS have a website? Maybe there is a blurb on there about your heating assist program that would be helpful.

ediesmom - I also wish SS would consider us poor folks' time just as important as theirs. Ya know, spending all day at SS office when instead I could be watching my soaps and eating my FS-paid for bon bons! I'm poor, I don't have any real or meaningful things to get done. : Maybe it's "ok" because I don't have "real job" like they do. To make that message clear they schedule appt's FOR ME, automatically and send it in the mail mere days before the appt is, and I get no say in trying to change it anyways.

Gosh, I don't know why I'm so ranty this morning.

Might be because I walked into my house this morning after dropping the kids off at school and the smell of "sewage plant" just fricken overwhelmed my nose right then and there. I think there is a crack somewhere in the sewage line of the house and it's causing water to fill up in the basement. There is air constantly bubbling up out of the toilet water (making me paranoid a snake or something will pop out ). I've only been able to do a load of laundry every other day, on lower water level settings, because when I turn my machine on it only adds to the flooding problem which points to the faulty pipe underneath the drain basin.

It's freezing, and I can't just "air out" the house. I tried leaving the basement door open (it is an outside door) and all that did was make the basement freezing=our floors froze.

Anyways, the LL's mother who lives here knows about it (I went straight to her first, as soon as there was a problem, at first thinking it was only my washing machine that flooded the basement again, even though I was always cleaning lint out of the drain religiously and I couldn't explain why the basement flooded otherwise other than maybe the pipe under the basin got clogged anyways and started cracking. It does drip and pour water out of the bend.) I told last week when I handed her our rent check.

She hasn't even been here in the past week now (b/c the smell is bad? b/c she's allergic to mold? b/c she's working on other apt's? all three? Is she moving?) She's not coming home at night and I almost ran out to her last night when I spotted her stopping by, but I had my hands full with dinner. I've left multiple messages on LL's voicemail (and let me say he has yet to ever return any of my messages since I've lived here.) I know that the flooding basement problem has been a huge problem in the past (upstairs people kept putting baby wipes in the toilet and flushing it I think LL's mom said) and has cost them almost 1000 in plumber bills.

So, I had a point to this I just sit and think: "This is what I get in return because we needed a LL that would not check our credit, or ask for references, would be willing to take a payment from SS (not that SS helped us but to carry on), willing to take sec. deposit weeks after we moved in and settled because we were in such a crunch."

B/c our last good references are from over 6 years ago, which is because we've struggled for so long and our rent payments suffered anywhere we went, making our credit shot too (from struggling) - because we are poor - I have to have a pool of $%^&* sitting right under my living room. For a week now.

/le sigh

Should I have called the Health Dept. several days ago? Or something of that nature? I'm really terrible with "not wanting to make waves", if anything the smell will drive me to action...LL and LL's mother and I have been getting along well so far...well really I have been getting along well with LL's mother and haven't even seen or spoken to LL since almost right after we moved in.

On a total change of subject, I came across some window plastic from wal-mart (ie. cheap brand) that the previous tenants left behind, still in the package. Does window plastic make a difference? I think I'll do it anyways, especially since it will be easy. I hope the fact that it's "cheap" doesn't mean the quality will be crappy (which is usually my cardinal rule) The windows are the old original to the house type and drafty. Heck I'll just hang up blankets too. It will be very dark in this house

Anyone else have some winterizing ideas?
Old 11-08-2007, 01:30 PM

The window plastic does make a BIG difference, especially if your home is poorly insulated.

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!

User Tag List