November No-Spend Challenge ~ Come check in, it's time to get started saving money! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chely7425 View Post
11/1: No Spend!!
11/2: No Spend!!
11/3: : 5.39 at Taco Bell... oops!
11/4: No un-budgeted spending...

Is it ok to count today as a no spend day even though we technically spent money?? It was all budgeted and stuff that we have been saving for... an xbox 360 for my fiance (we have been saving a looooong time for this, and its his early xmas present) and my ENGAGEMENT RING!!!!!! I am way excited about that!!! Anyway, so we DID spend but it was all for stuff we had planned! And we actually spend less then we had saved and budgeted

Goals:
Keep DF at under 200 cash a week: 0/4
Eat at home: 3/25
No online shopping: 4/30
No spend days: 3/25
I think you can count that and kudos for staying under budget!:

1: Only budgeted spending, including holiday gifts and groceries
2:
3: Spent 21 of my blow money to go to movies. Resisted tempation to but some Ugg-like boots. They were within my budget, but made in China. That always seems to be the case.
4: groceries; resisted urge to eat out at my favorite place! Also resisted the cutest purse from etsy!!

* My plan is to stick to perimeter in grocery and only go once a week and use a list.
* Try to live by the mantra, "Less is more."
* Use only cash. Only use my debit card for gas. If I purchase something online I will go to bank FIRST and deposit the cash.
* Only buy things (things we need) that are on sale and a GREAT deal or cannot wait.! (Other than groceries)

Goals:

No unbudgeted spend days: 4/20
No grocery days: 2/24
Only cash days (debit card for gas): 4/28

KEY:
True no spend
Spending within budget
Spending outside budget
#302 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 01:30 PM

November 1:
November 2: $48 at Target (all nec though/gift), $2 parking, $5 made 3 new keys, $120 Amazon gifts
November 3: $2.75 food, $18.50 wine, $22 post office
November 4: $6 food, $10 on laundry
November 5: CANCELLED CABLE INTERNET! Not only saved $50 this month but I get a $17 refund as well!

$8.75/$650 household/food
$197/$300 Misc Spending
0/$40 metrocard
10/$50 laundry
18.50/$40 for fun
0/$400 into savings account
0/$600 on the debt
2/15 no-spend (on anything, even necessary things)

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#303 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 01:44 PM

We were at Costco yesterday for milk, eggs, and Gardenburgers, and left with just those three things in our cart. While I was there, I saw a set of Pyrex glass bakeware with plastic lids for storage, and I can't stop thinking about them. I have been wanting to replace our non-stick, but didn't want to toss it without having replacements. Ta-da, replacements. With lids so I don't have to store the food itself in plastic. (I'm trying to limit plastics in the house.)

I went home and thought about it all night. It's a really good price. Should I buy it?
#304 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 01:45 PM

Nov 1st-- In budget
2nd-- In budget
3rd-- No spend/No extra driving
4th -- No spend /no extra driving

groceries and household 200/450
eating out 10/80
DH spending 10/50
Me and kids spending 25/100
Christmas gifts for all 24/200 -- I took out some of my vacation pay for this
Thanksgiving trip coming out of savings 0/250
No spend days 2/15
Pay aunt off 0/100
Gas 45/100
No Drive days 2/10

So far I feel we are doing well, hope it I can keep it up.
#305 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaste View Post
We were at Costco yesterday for milk, eggs, and Gardenburgers, and left with just those three things in our cart. While I was there, I saw a set of Pyrex glass bakeware with plastic lids for storage, and I can't stop thinking about them. I have been wanting to replace our non-stick, but didn't want to toss it without having replacements. Ta-da, replacements. With lids so I don't have to store the food itself in plastic. (I'm trying to limit plastics in the house.)

I went home and thought about it all night. It's a really good price. Should I buy it?
For me this would be a no brainer, if I had the extra funds I would buy it. BUT I bake a lot and cook dinner every night so I know they would get a ton of use
#306 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:

I'd get them - they are a pretty worthwhile investment!
#307 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:

throw out the non stick and get the pyrex for sure!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#308 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:

I'd get them also!
#309 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
We have Pyrex containers with lids (the lids are plastic) and I love them. DH and I decided if we saw something we liked, we would leave it and go home to discuss. If it was worth going back for them a day or two later then we would allow ourselves to do so.

I forgot to check in yesterday. I almost bought more diapers (and DH was okay with it) because some more were offered at a great price. But I actually turned them down. I was so proud, but I must stay off Craig's list and diaper swapper's now. I'm calling today no spend. I am going out later to pick up a friend but I'm not expecting to stop anywhere else.

November
1: $190 Diapers, $9.74 Shipping for baby purchase made in Oct, $38.50 Gas
2:
3: $121.60 Costco, $6 Dollar Store spices, $33 Grocery Store, $25 Filing Cabinet from Craig's List so we can get organized in our home office finally!
4: $2.00 Movie rental
5:

Goals:
0/$300 Christmas
$160.60/$500 Groceries
1/4 Grocery Shopping Trips
$2.10/$50 Take out/Ordering in
$27/$100 Misc
$199.74/$200 Baby Items
1/2 Gas Fill Ups
0/$500 put towards debt
4/30 Stick to meal plan

Lindsay - DD1, born posterior and chin up at home, Aug 2007
DD2, born at home in the water, March 2010
#310 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:

When you say "bakeware," do you mean like, muffin pan, loaf pans, etc.? Or just the usual oval, round, 9x13? If you mean the latter, check your local thrift stores--I see those there frequently, so you might be able to pick them up that way (and maybe you can even buy the lids on their own, call the company). If you mean the former...well, then I'm SO running out to find them! I'm dying to get rid of the nonstick too, and I'm not entirely convinced of the safety of silicone...

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#311 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 02:33 PM

Bought myself two pairs of shoes just now ($92 on mooshoes.com and $80 on simpleshoes.com), will buy gas for my car in about a week ($50), pay my tithing twice this month (about $110 total) and near the end of the month will have to pay the monthly $334 for my car. That's 2 1/12 week's pay! : I hate working part-time...

edit - cancelled the simpleshoes.com order because I can't read and the shoes were leather. oops!

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#312 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 02:35 PM

November 1: $50 on take out (budgeted)
November 2:
November 3:
November 4:
November 5:

Goals:

Pack lunch every day at work: 3/19
Take bus to work every day: 3/19
No spend days: 4/15

Unbudgeted spending, running total:
#313 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 02:36 PM

Okay, so I decluttered and am donating 164 things this morning, including a bunch of beauty products (shampoos and such) that I bought in bulk last year before switching to natural. I took back and IKEA cabinet that I had lost the receipt for and found while decluttering. And I'm using the money from the IKEA cabinet for the baking set - and I will have extra money leftover from the cabinet. It's a set with a loaf pan, bowls, and several sized baking pans. I didn't see muffin tins but glass muffin tins would ROCK!! I think Pampered Chef has stone ones, but I don't make muffins enough to make it worth it. Maybe that's worth asking for a holiday gift?
#314 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 02:36 PM

Jessica, why did you double your tithe?
#315 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
Jessica, why did you double your tithe?
What's a tithe?
#316 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle524 View Post
What's a tithe?
It's a gift to your place of worship--10% of your income (gross or net, depending on your beliefs). She said in her post that she's doubled her tithing this month.
#317 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
It's a gift to your place of worship--10% of your income (gross or net, depending on your beliefs). She said in her post that she's doubled her tithing this month.

Oh, thanks!
#318 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 03:16 PM

01 spent $596.78 rent/water, $407 heating oil, $3.22 winter clothes for DS--thrift. made $23.40 writing and GPT, $64 from Mom
02 , saved $6.73 cell bill adjustment

Totals:
No spend: 4/30
Budgeted spending: 1/30
Unbudgeted, necessary spending: 0/30
Unbudgeted, unnecessary spending: 0/30
Made/saved $: 2/30
Still waiting for instrument quotes so I can sell...

Budgeted extras:
$3.22/75: Winter clothes for DS , rug for DS's room, Christmas pics of DS, pic frames
Presents: DS, DH, sis and BIL--if money allows
#319 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I'd buy them, if I had the money--uh, I'm still using no-name, don't-know-what-they're-made-of pans... But if/when I can afford them, I'm getting these!

HOWEVER, I'd buy them next month, after I'd actually put them into the budget. For me, this doesn't get me off the hook as far as budgeting goes. B/c if I buy one unbudgeted, not strictly necessary thing--like this!--I buy one more, and one more, and... etc. So if you can wait, for the sake of the budget, wait. Plastic/other stuff won't kill you if you use it one more month.
#320 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAX View Post
November 5: CANCELLED CABLE INTERNET! Not only saved $50 this month but I get a $17 refund as well!
Now that's a good deal!
#321 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 03:36 PM

If you're going to use the soymilk maker, then I'd buy it. For regular nut milks, my blender works great, though. I strain them through a washcloth or cotton cloth bag b/c I don't like the scratchiness of the pulp though.

On the pyrex, if you have the $, then I'd go for it. I hate nonstick and also question the safety of silicon. I had some silicon muffin tins and I liked them, but I just can't wrap my brain around plastic in the oven.

So, yesterday was just groceries. I didn't even get my mom anything b/c I couldn't find anything - I framed a photo of my kids for her and I think it was probably as good as anything I could have bought.

I cooked dinner for 24 people last night. I was sooo tired - but it was a good tired. Like Jill said, it was a body tired, not just tired from worry. I'm off to buy a raquet today - I found a sitter who'll watch the kiddos two nights a week at her place (5 mins from the gym), so even if I can't pick up a class, I can play.

And, is it too soon to be crushing on someone??

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#322 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

01.. ,

Goals:
5/20 No Spend Days
1/15 Let the Car Rest Days

Our car is at the dealer getting a tune-up. Which will cost Big $$$ so I don't have the stomach to spend anymore money until we know what that bill will be.

#323 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 04:05 PM

November 1 - No spend day
November 2 - about $12 in budgeted spending today.
November 3 - No spend day
November 4 - only budgeted spending today
November 5 - did a bit of budgeted spending today

I have decided to add one more catagory to my list since I seem to be using up my $50 too fast due to small amounts that are actually for dd.

$103.27/$400 Groceries (this is quite a bit less than we normally spend, but really want to eat out of the pantry/freezer this month)
$14.42/$50 for misc coffee, snacks, lunches out etc.
$9.14/$50 misc stuff for kids
No spend 2/10
No restaurant/take-out 5/20
#324 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 04:12 PM

Prudence, are you expecting a baby? :
#325 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 05:30 PM

11/1 -
11/2 - (but tempted!)
11/3 - I'm so dissapointed with myself! I went shopping with my mom today - she needed clothes for works, and i ended up spending about $50, maybe a tad less on an outfit and hair dye. I actually NEED clothes - i have one pair of pants that don't fit right and the rest of my clothes are either too small or holey cut off sweats!!! But Man - buyers remorse. I told my DH i'm taking the stuff back - all of it - except Ross didn't give me a reciept???? WTF??? So now i wont even get a refund....ugh Oh - and Dh is out getting fast food right now since i came home too late to cook a meal! argh!! Whatever he spends tonight i'll just take it out of groceries - so that'll be fine - but still a waste - i'm totally sure i could get more bang for my buck at a grocery store!
11/4 - Shame on me! Tomorrow is a do-over...not gonna let 2 days of crazed spending get me down!!!:
11/5 - Going to the store tonight to buy some fruit we need - but using cash and within budget!!

3/31 no-spend (outside of budget) days!
#326 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 05:31 PM

What is everyone doing about Christmas gifts? Technically, they are budgeted for, but I also spend $ when I buy them!
#327 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 05:36 PM

#328 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkenna&lucas View Post
What is everyone doing about Christmas gifts? Technically, they are budgeted for, but I also spend $ when I buy them!
If it's budgeted money, I record it. It's up to you whether that's a no-spend day or not. For me, it's not.
#329 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 05:43 PM

I am making gifts from what yarn and materials I have on hand. It's not in our budget at all to buy anything, not even a live tree this year. But my inlaws tend to way over buy so my kids are so not missing out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkenna&lucas View Post
#330 of 1133 Old 11-05-2007, 05:48 PM

TRIBE! I keep forgetting to ask you! Are you still on the non-smoking wagon?

It's two weeks today for me. :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page