November No-Spend Challenge ~ Come check in, it's time to get started saving money! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 02:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
11/01: $27 on WAY over-due library fines and a book that DD ripped :. $17.50 on costume stuff from Target's Halloween clearance. $4 on a cup for DD from Starbucks.
11/02: no spend!
11/03: no spend!
11/04: no spend!
11/05: no spend!

1. 4/20 no-spend days.
2. $250/$250 on groceries and household items for Oct 26-Nov 8
3. $22.50/$0 spent on my DDs (who are in need of NOTHING!)
4. $0/$0 on the credit card
5. $83/$315 personal spending on anything I wish

KEY:
=true no-spend
=spending within the budget
=out of budget spending

Let's see. I got myself a Starbucks out of my personal spend money. I also bought new glasses, which I needed. My sucky frames keep getting bent out of shape. I had to pay for them on the credit card, but will get it re-imbursed through our FSA, so I didn't include it in the above totals.

I can't wait until we get our laptop back and I can spend more time on the computer!
#362 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 02:27 AM

costco today and that should be my only trip there for the month. did buy dd2 some pizza while we were there (poor timing, although in my defense I had packed a snack!) Also, bought fundraiser candy from a neighbor that I will use as a christmas gift for my grandmother, that will go under our gifting budget. tonight I need to make a weekly menu and shopping list and tomorrow- groceries, gas, and csa- will try to keep groceries at 50 instead of 75 to help cover extra expenses this month (i.e. the car).

ETA: boy, looking at all my smilies I'm doing REALLY poorly so far. ugh.

Nov 1 : $499!!! fuel pump for car, $5 kiddie gym Made $$
Nov 2 fast food (my cash) Made $$
Nov 3 in budget spending for DD's birthday party
Nov 4 toys to exchange for DDs halloween candy Made $$
Nov 5 costco, in budget, 2.50 on pizza (my cash), 8.50 candy for gma

The Plan:
Make a weekly meal plan and stick to the grocery list 0/4
Groceries once a week only ($75 or less, not incl weekly CSA) 0/4
Fill gas once a week only on grocery day 0/4
Non-essential spending for me 7.20/$50

Record each purchase to track spending
Pack snacks and water every time we get in the car
Make list of Christmas 'giftees' and create holiday budget.

DD1 Birthday 117/$120 done
Give DH cash for the month for gasoline and fun money done
Only ONE stock-up trip to Costco 1/1done
#363 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 02:42 AM

#364 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 06:55 AM

Oh man...DS needs some new shoes. I have the hardest time keeping him in shoes and then keeping the darn things on him. In NY, this summer, I just let him go barefoot all the time, I didn't care one way or the other. But here, for one, it's getting cold and for two, everyone has a coniption fit when he doesn't have shoes on. I'm not sure why, since I'm his MOM and I don't care, but whatever...so, I need to find some shoes that a. stay on him and b. are easy to put on if he gets them off.

I've been looking at endless.com, but I just can't bring myself to spend $40 on yet another pair of shoes for him. He has some rain boots my dad bought him that he likes, but they're about a size too big and he takes them off every.single.day in the car. He also has a pair of cowboy boots that I HATE, as well as a leather pair of tie shoes that I can't even find b/c they turned out to be harder than hard to get on him. It just seems like right now, I can barely get us out the door, let alone put DD down to get his shoes on him.

He used to have a pair of skecher brand that velcro'd on and those he would leave on.

What do you think? Spend the $$ or just wrap my head around dealing with what we've got for a bit?

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#365 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniej View Post
frog and TRIBE - wow, how cool. What a great decision, not just for your pocketbooks, but your health too. Wow.
Thanks! It's helpful that turtle's quit, too. If they were around, I'd definitely smoke.

November 1: $50 on take out (budgeted)
November 2:
November 3:
November 4:
November 5:
November 6: $10 on swap shipping (budgeted)

Goals:

Pack lunch every day at work: 4/19
Take bus to work every day: 4/19
No spend days: 4/15

Unbudgeted spending, running total:
#366 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 11:25 AM

1. My name is DiMi mama and I'm a SAHM to ds (8/04) and dd (4/07).

2a. I NEED to do this because with only one income, we live very comfortably...but we have no home. I don't mind renting, but as most do, I have a dream of having our own home. Also, I enjoy staying home with the kids and I would like to have one more. This gets in the way of wanting to own a home because in order to buy I think I will need to work...unless we can find a way to curb our spending drastically.

2b. As many mentioned I too have lots of stuff and a bad internet shopping habit. I LOVE Etsy, Hanna Anderrson, gymboree, Naartjie. I spend on the kids, but most of the stuff isn't necessary because we have tons of hand me downs.

3. My game plan:

- To stay off of all my favorite internet shopping sites better said ALL internet shopping websites.

- Make a meal plan and stick to it. Begin making cheaper meals and cut out most pre packaged foods.

Goals:

No internet purchases 0/30
No spend days 0/15
No clothing shoes bought for kids and I 0/30
#367 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
Jessica, why did you double your tithe?
Cause I get paid every two weeks so I'll write two checks.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#368 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 12:22 PM

*November*

3 $8 at used book sale, $4 at thrift shop, Gas

Budgeted Spending:
0/175 Groceries***pantry challenge
30/60 Gas
0/15 whatever my heart desires
12/20 at thrift shop and book sale
$150-200 trip to Montreal with sisters to visit another sister. (Includes: $60 bus ticket, $17 for a 3 day bus/metro pass, $40 food/restaurant, $30 bookstore, $20 anything)
#369 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmama View Post
I decided i needed to do a little decluttering today - getting rid of 100+ items today (and seriously...we are not a very cluttered house - so that's a lot!) and i decided that i would return some of my purchases from the last 2 days.

Altogether i'm returning just over $35.00 in stuff.

Go me
Wow, that's awesome! Because of this thread, I have started looking at stuff I bought and wondering if I should return it...do I really need it, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annethcz View Post
Woo Hoo! Ladies, I'm staying on the wagon

DH and I just went over our budget again tonight, and we decided that we REALLY need to keep our belts tightened, so it's great for me to be here. I'm planning to eat out of the freezer/pantry until DH gets paid on Friday. Eating out of the pantry usually makes me feel deprived and makes me want to splurge, so I'm trying to keep a positive attitude that I'm making the CHOICE to be frugal.

Nov. 1- $13.32 at Natural Foods store
Nov. 2- $37.85 on pizza delivery
Nov. 3-
Nov. 4-
Nov. 5-

My goals:
Lunch out with DH: 0/2
Stay within 15 miles of home: 4/24
No frivolous spending: 4/30
Track Grocery spending: $11.30
Track Eating out/take out spending: $37.85
Track gasoline spending: $0
Track spending/income on chickens: $2.02
WOW! You are doing so well!! Look at all those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liangel View Post
11/1- $16.73 on make-up.
11/2- $9.15 some groceries.
11/3-
11/4-
11/5-
Look at all those winks!! Keep up the good work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGlimmeringHope View Post
Nov 1: $30 for DH and I to eat out
Nov 2:
Nov 3:
Nov 4:
Nov 5: : $107 for dd's new bed, $80 for our new chiffarobe. Both necessary.

Ladies, I've gotten 4 emails about the piano I put on CL last week. I just sent them all pictures. We need this money- it will pay for our furniture we just bought and pay down quite a chunk of our credit cards. I've also got to return two calls tomorrow about my massage table- same thing we need this to sell as well! Please send all the good vibes you can spare our way!
Sending vibes!!! Good luck!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniej View Post
Oh man...DS needs some new shoes. I have the hardest time keeping him in shoes and then keeping the darn things on him. In NY, this summer, I just let him go barefoot all the time, I didn't care one way or the other. But here, for one, it's getting cold and for two, everyone has a coniption fit when he doesn't have shoes on. I'm not sure why, since I'm his MOM and I don't care, but whatever...so, I need to find some shoes that a. stay on him and b. are easy to put on if he gets them off.

I've been looking at endless.com, but I just can't bring myself to spend $40 on yet another pair of shoes for him. He has some rain boots my dad bought him that he likes, but they're about a size too big and he takes them off every.single.day in the car. He also has a pair of cowboy boots that I HATE, as well as a leather pair of tie shoes that I can't even find b/c they turned out to be harder than hard to get on him. It just seems like right now, I can barely get us out the door, let alone put DD down to get his shoes on him.

He used to have a pair of skecher brand that velcro'd on and those he would leave on.

What do you think? Spend the $$ or just wrap my head around dealing with what we've got for a bit?
Hmmm...well, in the interest of this thread. Since you have some shoes for him, I think you don't "need" new ones. However, perhaps you could sell/trade the ones you have to help pay for the new ones? Or donate them to someone else who needs them? Just a thought.
#370 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 12:24 PM

#371 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaRenee View Post
Cause I get paid every two weeks so I'll write two checks.
So, did you double the amount or just the number of checks? I'm confused! Clearly.

What I'm really asking: Are you now paying 20% of your income to your place of worship? If so, why?
#372 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 12:31 PM

So, I bought 3 costumes for Target on clearance last week for under 30 dollars. I was planning to give them to DD for Christmas b/c she LOVES dressing up. But..it has been eating at me since I bought them. They were all made in China. And she doesn't need them. She has so much. And we are already making her a balance beam for Christmas, so we don't really need another gift. So..I think I should return them. But then I think maybe I'm taking this whole China thing too far. I know she'll really enjoy them.

I don't know. What do you guys think???

1: Only budgeted spending, including holiday gifts and groceries
2:
3: Spent 21 of my blow money to go to movies. Resisted tempation to but some Ugg-like boots. They were within my budget, but made in China. That always seems to be the case.
4: groceries; resisted urge to eat out at my favorite place! Also resisted the cutest purse from etsy!!
5: Brought food in TWICE today, but we were all sick. It came out of our eating out budget, so we'll have to skimp toward the end of the month in this category.

* My plan is to stick to perimeter in grocery and only go once a week and use a list.
* Try to live by the mantra, "Less is more."
* Use only cash. Only use my debit card for gas. If I purchase something online I will go to bank FIRST and deposit the cash.
* Only buy things (things we need) that are on sale and a GREAT deal or cannot wait.! (Other than groceries)

Goals:

No unbudgeted spend days: 5/20
No grocery days: 3/24
Only cash days (debit card for gas): 5/28

KEY:
True no spend
Spending within budget
Spending outside budget
#373 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 01:02 PM

I had Subed to this thread thinking I would get e-mail updates but I forgot that I had a diffrent e-mail when I first started lurking here so I was inturn not getting e-mails . Finally I am back here and hope to come back every day to update

Nov 1st - :27.00 at Walmart On halloween snack items now my two older kids have fast school lunch items when I am busy with the new baby .
Nov 2nd- Returned 8.00 from walmart trip (they over charged me for some items ) Paid Household bills No Spend Day
Nov 3rd - budgeted money spent 5.00 for a church event
Nov 4th - : We found out when we got to Church that our Son had to be back there 2 hours after church let out and we live 45 mins from the church so we took the kids to get tacos at a mom and pops place . 17.00 Also spent 10.00 on gas .
Nov 5th - No Spend day Dh spent 10.00 on gas for his car Budgeted
Nov 6th - No Spend day Paid one bill online today

Goals :
3/20 - No Spend Days
1/0 - After Halloween Shopping days
20/190 - Gas for the month
1/0 - No eating out days
4.60/100 - Extra towards the credit card
#374 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
So, did you double the amount or just the number of checks? I'm confused! Clearly.

What I'm really asking: Are you now paying 20% of your income to your place of worship? If so, why?
LOL, no I'm giving 10%....I just meant "pay it twice" as in "I will write a $__ check this week and another $__ in two weeks".

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#375 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaRenee View Post
LOL, no I'm giving 10%....I just meant "pay it twice" as in "I will write a $__ check this week and another $__ in two weeks".
OH! I get it. Why was it so important to me to understand this? I have no idea, really. : :
#376 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 02:32 PM

11/1-DH must have used cash at McDonalds, b/c its not showing on my online banking. He & DS went out, I think they spent $3 something.
11/2-22.97 for picture processing (11 cents a print)
7.56-birthday gift for my neice
5.20-grocery store, I have no idea what this was for. (DH?)
17.33-pizza for the kids, (award DS earned for getting his reading done)

11/3
11/4
11/5 (126.07-groceries)
#377 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

01.. ,

Goals:
6/20 No Spend Days
1/15 Let the Car Rest Days

#378 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 04:50 PM

WOW, I can't keep up with my intermittently spotty internet access...but, I AM getting more done around the house!

I've been spending waaayyy to much on the new house and much needed items. I've bought a rug and a trash can and curtains and light fixtures and convenience foods, my sin from last month continues! Arrrgghh, but I have been using the car less as we're down to ONE CAR!
So I'm not going to be keeping a tally this month ladies, as it will be way too difficult and frustrating to me trying to jump online at the library with two kids in tow...so I wish you all well and I'll post once in awhile, I'll be thinking of you all and wish you the best in your no-spend month! Hope to see you again all soon!

Summer

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#379 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 05:03 PM

Ashley the best shoes I ever got DD were croc knock offs for like $9. They have some at Target right now, too. Maybe you can check those out? They can be worn with socks when it's colder out.
#380 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 05:47 PM

11/1- $16.73 on make-up.
11/2- $9.15 some groceries.
11/3-
11/4-
11/5-
11/6- $7.00 fingerprints for new job (will get reimbursed), $15 gas

Proud mama to : Nicholas James born 3/19/09
#381 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannienicole View Post
I am a full time student and my DH is in the military. No chance at making side money. At the moment we have exactly $55.05 to get us to the 15th.

I am so feeling you!! I thought I budgeted our paycheck to the last dollar and somehow we ended up coming out short I truly detest this time of year. Why is it we can make the same money in Jan-Sept and be fine, even ahead but come Sept and poof it's like suddenly we have no money and forget being ahead we are perpetually behind. It happens every year.

Anyways welcome to the thread
#382 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 05:55 PM

Nov 1
Nov 2
double thumb for budget well done!
Nov 3 :
Nov 4 :
Nov 5 Paid some bills, yay.
Nov 6
Goals:
3/27 No spend
3/25 No drive days
Stay under grocery budget

No "extra" exceptions this month!
#383 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 06:05 PM

I'm not doing so well this month. I need to get a handle on things.

Nov 1: $30 charitable giving, from checking; $11 Savers gifts, from checking; $2 Pepsi, from cash; $15 co-op groceries, from joint; $4 library fines, from cash. All w/in budget.
Nov 2: $35 Xmas gift for my partner, from checking, w/in budget; $2 Goodwill, cash. All w/in buget.
Nov 3: $8 McDonalds, cash; $13 Goodwill, checking; $168 art show, joint; $25 pizza, cash; $20 dog fee, cash (will be reimbursed). Art show clearly not budgeted...
Nov 4: $55 dog food, $33 groceries, both joint.
Nov 5: Gah! It was almost a no-spend, but then I had to get gas. $36, on gas card (gets paid by joint acct. each month). In budget.
Nov 6: Today is going to sound really bad, but it's not that terrible. I spent $850 on Visa to make Thanksgiving reservations, but that will be reimbursed. I also spent $11 joint on some dishes at the Goodwill and $6 on lunch. And $20 on sterling silver chains, partially for me and partially for a Christmas present, from checking.
Nov 7: $35 on a book for myself online, from checking, not budgeted.

November budget update:

To joint account: $2,000/$2,000.00
To student loan: $0/$257.60
To savings: $0/$100.00
To charity: $30/$50.00
To Visa: $212.26/$184.20
To Discover: $0/$500.00
Cash: $65/$100.00
Christmas presents: $79/$100.00
Unbudgeted spending: $35/$0

November goals:

1. STICK TO BUDGET!! 5/30
2. No new credit card purchases, aside from Christmas plane tickets. 6/30
3. Finish closing out all old CC accounts (I think I may have a big enough credit to buy said plane tix, but I'm not sure).
4. Continue excellent trend of not buying coffee or lunch at work. Aim for no more than 1 coffee/week and 1 lunch/week. 6/30
5. Thrift for Christmas presents.
#384 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 06:05 PM

Yes, the crocs are great. I worry about the snow tho...his feet'll get wet, I think.

I successfully avoided buying anything. I think I'm going to try to make what we've got work.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#385 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 06:58 PM

I spent some money today, as I knew I would. I spent about $7 mailing stuff that I sold, but I'm not couting since I'll take it out fo the money I made selling. I bought lunch for $4.80, then coffee for $1.81, those I'll take out of my mad money. That's it though... I also sold 2 more books, I'll have to mail them out by Thursday.

New Totals:
2/11 no drive days
1/17 no spend days
$10.54/$50 mad money (for coffees, lunches, etc.)
$111.47/$300 groceries
$58.07/$200 take out/restaurant
$80/$134.02 entertainment

5/30 turn off computer
#386 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 07:06 PM

Nov. 1 - :$50 for faxes, $16.49 for lunch {chines buffet place that ups my milk supply with their yummy wonton soup}, $55 for brakes, and $30.12 at goodwill {mostly for x-mas gifts}
Nov. 2 - $8.36 at Wendys {needed to eat with medication}, $35 at Sun Harvest {all need items really}. Made $56 selling old baby items on craigslist
Nov. 3 - $10 FOL book Sale {new books NOT from china for DD} Made $20 in Survey Checks
Nov. 4 - {some spending but I didn't do it! Gramma went shopping}
Nov. 5 - $17.29 at Mcdonalds {We had been out since 8am, and DD had to have blood draws done - after which she wouldn't let go of me at all - thus the fast food.}
Nov. 6 - $184 for groceries {pretty good considering my bill before coupons was $342!). $20 at the thrift {Christmas presents - budget spending!}. $60 for Perscriptions {budgeted but now my medicaid is through so I won't have to pay this again for a while!}

Key:
True no spend
Spending within budget
:Spending outside budget

I used the Food Stamps to cover everything they would cover, but I did have to buy laundry soap, cat litter, etc out of pocket. We stuck to the list closely though!

I've got more stuff to put up on craigslist tonight - I just need to get off my bum and do it!

November Goals:
no spend days 1/15
Eat at home Days 2/20
Stick to the List Days {We grocery Game} 2/20
Try to only spend the Food Stamps 119.56/413
Craiglist money made 56/100
Surveys money made 40.35/?
#387 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 07:12 PM

November
1: $190 Diapers, $9.74 Shipping for baby purchase made in Oct, $38.50 Gas
2:
3: $121.60 Costco, $6 Dollar Store spices, $33 Grocery Store, $25 Filing Cabinet from Craig's List so we can get organized in our home office finally!
4: $2.00 Movie rental
5: $10.60 Breast Pads
6:

Goals:
0/$300 Christmas
$160.60/$500 Groceries
1/4 Grocery Shopping Trips
$2.10/$50 Take out/Ordering in
$37.60/$100 Misc
$199.74/$200 Baby Items
1/2 Gas Fill Ups
0/$500 put towards debt
6/30 Stick to meal plan

Lindsay - DD1, born posterior and chin up at home, Aug 2007
DD2, born at home in the water, March 2010
#388 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 07:31 PM

Sandygirl - Witch companys do you do Surveys for ?
#389 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 07:39 PM

Hey y'all, I haven't posted my spending yet...not off to a great start :

But, on the bright side, my spending is going well

1: only budgeted spending
2:
3:
4: $82.00 at grocery store!! Yay!
5: $19 on Christmas gift, $40 on home maintenance (both budgeted)
6: $10 at doctor's office
#390 of 1133 Old 11-06-2007, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

: Trying to catch up on reading the thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page