November No-Spend Challenge ~ Come check in, it's time to get started saving money! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-07-2007, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leomom View Post
Dave Ramsey says that for a family of 4, with average income, a "reasonable" grocery budget is $700.
Wow that seems like a ton! We normally spend around $400-500{500 on a very splurge month} a month for 3 adults and a toddler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygirl View Post
Wow that seems like a ton! We normally spend around $400-500{500 on a very splurge month} a month for 3 adults and a toddler.
I'm wondering what the eating out/take out amount is for this type of family (or all of you). Now that I'm doing a pantry challenge, I haven't been buying. But, we're trying to cut out our eating out. I would say eating out and groceries combined are usually around $500, but if we ate at home more, I wonder what it would actually be...
Old 11-07-2007, 11:57 AM

Update to yesterday's post. We got a pizza. I was way too down in a PPD funk to cook anything. I'm really hoping it passes soon. This really doesn't help our budget.

New Totals:
2/11 no drive days
1/17 no spend days
$10.54/$50 mad money (for coffees, lunches, etc.)
$111.47/$300 groceries
$68.07/$200 take out/restaurant
$80/$134.02 entertainment

6/30 turn off computer
Old 11-07-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle524 View Post
I'm wondering what the eating out/take out amount is for this type of family (or all of you). Now that I'm doing a pantry challenge, I haven't been buying. But, we're trying to cut out our eating out. I would say eating out and groceries combined are usually around $500, but if we ate at home more, I wonder what it would actually be...
90% of the time we eat at home - so maybe $50 which is included in the $400-500 groceries goes towards eating out. That $400-500 also includes HBA/paper goods.

We Grocery Game though - otherwise our grocery bills would be much higher.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:09 PM

November 1 - No spend day
November 2 - about $12 in budgeted spending today.
November 3 - No spend day
November 4 - only budgeted spending today
November 5 - did a bit of budgeted spending today
November 6 - unplanned breakfast purchase today - went out for fast food for dinner, but that was a planned playdate
November 7 - sad face already - couldn't resist the smell of those nice hot bagels

Half way through my "fun" money and not half way through the month :

$103.27/$400 Groceries (this is quite a bit less than we normally spend, but really want to eat out of the pantry/freezer this month)
$23.12/$50 for misc coffee, snacks, lunches out etc.
$9.14/$50 misc stuff for kids
No spend 2/10
No restaurant/take-out 5/20
Old 11-07-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Pinecone research
nfomysurvey
various online focus groups
cashcrate

etc - it really varies from month to month who is good.
Thanks So much for the leads I do Pinecone research Already but the others I did not know about . Kidzeye surveys me and my DS do if your interested in that at all.

Thanks Agian !
Old 11-07-2007, 12:43 PM

I *HAVE* to avoid diaperswappers!!! So far I have bought more than I've sold

-$5.84 diaperswappers, plus we will see how much shipping will be today

Food: $198.87/600
Gas: $52.31/60 ***this should be fine, my gas tank will last til mid-Dec, WAHM
Household: $99.50/200 ***unexpected vet bill

All Nov 1 - Nov 15 bills paid

Credit Cards: Charged ~$35 for goat's rue, might try to squeeze that out of the food money

Overall I feel pretty positive about this month's finances!
Old 11-07-2007, 12:44 PM

HELP! I really need a very filling meal from a half-way-decent Italian, Mexican, or Asian restaurant. I CAN'T STAND eating at home anymore! : and... I HATE cooking. OK, rant over. Talk me out of this please.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
We usually budget 700, but we buy all organic, including meats, etc. And shop at Whole Foods a lot. But, last month we did it for 500...so, I guess I could do better.

Quote:
Our budget this month is 500 grocery, 220 eating out . I know that's a lot, but dh and I have a date night each week and then we eat out about once every other weekend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarAndSun View Post
HELP! I really need a very filling meal from a half-way-decent Italian, Mexican, or Asian restaurant. I CAN'T STAND eating at home anymore! : and... I HATE cooking. OK, rant over. Talk me out of this please.
Well, a craving is a craving. But, after you eat it, you'll have nothing to show for it...except the artery clogging gunk that is in restaurant food...mmm, that's what makes it taste good. Maybe you could make yourself a homemade pizza...with yummy stuff on top. It's pretty cheap to make and you probably have everything you need...
Old 11-07-2007, 01:14 PM

I am craving chicken and dumplings anyone have a recipe ? Also anyone care to share there homemade pizza dough recipe with me ?

yes this has to do with no spend as I am ready to go out and buy these items .
Old 11-07-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2dea View Post
I am cravy chicken and dumplings anyone have a recipe ? Also anyone care to share there homemade pizza dough recipe with me ?

yes this has to do with no spend as I am ready to go out and buy these items .
Do you have a bread maker? I use mine to make the dough..
Old 11-07-2007, 01:26 PM

1: Only budgeted spending, including holiday gifts and groceries
2:
3: Spent 21 of my blow money to go to movies. Resisted tempation to but some Ugg-like boots. They were within my budget, but made in China. That always seems to be the case.
4: groceries; resisted urge to eat out at my favorite place! Also resisted the cutest purse from etsy!!
5: Brought food in TWICE today, but we were all sick. It came out of our eating out budget, so we'll have to skimp toward the end of the month in this category.
6.: Didn't follow my cash only rule...used my debit card to purchase something budgeted on etsy, but I didn't deposit it into bank yet...I will today.

* My plan is to stick to perimeter in grocery and only go once a week and use a list.
* Try to live by the mantra, "Less is more."
* Use only cash. Only use my debit card for gas. If I purchase something online I will go to bank FIRST and deposit the cash.
* Only buy things (things we need) that are on sale and a GREAT deal or cannot wait.! (Other than groceries)

Goals:

No unbudgeted spend days: 6/20
No grocery days: 4/24
Only cash days (debit card for gas): 5/28

KEY:
True no spend
Spending within budget
Spending outside budget
Old 11-07-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I have a breadmaker collecting dust - do share your recipe!! (please)
Old 11-07-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I have a breadmaker collecting dust - do share your recipe!! (please)
Whole Wheat Pizza Crust Dough
Makes 2 thin crusts or 4 mini

1 cup water
2T oil
1T sugar
1t salt
1 c whole wheat flour
1.5 cups bread flour (I just use all ww flour and add 1T gluten or extra liquid)
1 t active dry yeast

Select pizza dough course

Bake at 425 for 10-12 minutes or until edges of crust begin to turn a light golden brown. Remove and freeze or add toppings and return to oven to bake 15-20 more minutes.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:53 PM

Well, I spent $50 at llbean online yesterday, bad, bad, bad. My mom keeps asking me about my budget and it just makes me furious. I *HAVE* money - she's just holding it hostage right now. For good reason, but still.

I need to send a friend flowers today and make a grocery run, otherwise, I don't plan on spending anything else. Except for maybe adding a raquetball racket to my cart b/c I couldn't find one I liked the other day.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
Old 11-07-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Whole Wheat Pizza Crust Dough
Makes 2 thin crusts or 4 mini

1 cup water
2T oil
1T sugar
1t salt
1 c whole wheat flour
1.5 cups bread flour (I just use all ww flour and add 1T gluten or extra liquid)
1 t active dry yeast

Select pizza dough course

Bake at 425 for 10-12 minutes or until edges of crust begin to turn a light golden brown. Remove and freeze or add toppings and return to oven to bake 15-20 more minutes.
thank you!!!

this is going to sound really stupid, but is active dry yeast the stuff in the little packets you get in the refrigerated section?
Old 11-07-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
no I will have to put that in the budget in Jan ...LOL
Old 11-07-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
thank you!!!

this is going to sound really stupid, but is active dry yeast the stuff in the little packets you get in the refrigerated section?
Yep. But mine isn't refrigerated....

Quote:
no I will have to put that in the budget in Jan ...LOL
You can still make it, just add liquid a little at a time, knead and let rise under a warm wet dish towel for about an hour....
Old 11-07-2007, 02:02 PM

[QUOTE=leomom;9647275]So, I bought 3 costumes for Target on clearance last week for under 30 dollars. I was planning to give them to DD for Christmas b/c she LOVES dressing up. But..it has been eating at me since I bought them. They were all made in China. And she doesn't need them. She has so much. And we are already making her a balance beam for Christmas, so we don't really need another gift. So..I think I should return them. But then I think maybe I'm taking this whole China thing too far. I know she'll really enjoy them.

I don't know. What do you guys think???

Ok...so I'm still really needing advice on this....anyone? Bueller?
Old 11-07-2007, 02:04 PM

I'm not doing so well this month. I need to get a handle on things.

Nov 1: $30 charitable giving, from checking; $11 Savers gifts, from checking; $2 Pepsi, from cash; $15 co-op groceries, from joint; $4 library fines, from cash. All w/in budget.
Nov 2: $35 Xmas gift for my partner, from checking, w/in budget; $2 Goodwill, cash. All w/in buget.
Nov 3: $8 McDonalds, cash; $13 Goodwill, checking; $168 art show, joint; $25 pizza, cash; $20 dog fee, cash (will be reimbursed). Art show clearly not budgeted...
Nov 4: $55 dog food, $33 groceries, both joint.
Nov 5: Gah! It was almost a no-spend, but then I had to get gas. $36, on gas card (gets paid by joint acct. each month). In budget.
Nov 6: Today is going to sound really bad, but it's not that terrible. I spent $850 on Visa to make Thanksgiving reservations, but that will be reimbursed. I also spent $11 joint on some dishes at the Goodwill and $6 on lunch. And $20 on sterling silver chains, partially for me and partially for a Christmas present, from checking.
Nov 7: $35 on a book for myself online, from checking, not budgeted; $5 on a flu shot and $5 on coffee, cash.

November budget update:

To joint account: $2,000/$2,000.00
To student loan: $0/$257.60
To savings: $0/$100.00
To charity: $30/$50.00
To Visa: $212.26/$184.20
To Discover: $0/$500.00
Cash: $75/$100.00
Christmas presents: $79/$100.00
Unbudgeted spending: $35/$0

November goals:

1. STICK TO BUDGET!! 5/30
2. No new credit card purchases, aside from Christmas plane tickets. 6/30
3. Finish closing out all old CC accounts (I think I may have a big enough credit to buy said plane tix, but I'm not sure).
4. Continue excellent trend of not buying coffee or lunch at work. Aim for no more than 1 coffee/week and 1 lunch/week. 6/30
5. Thrift for Christmas presents.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:05 PM

Leomom, I'd keep them and just keep this in mind the next time you want to buy her something she maybe doesn't need.

Also, FWIW, the Goodwill is great for costume stuff after Halloween, at least here.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
OK, I'll look in the baking section then. Am I supposed to put it in the fridge? My mom always did, but as I established earlier, she was no cook! (The woman tried to fry a meatloaf - an entire 1lb block of meat and she put it in a frying pan. It was not good.)
Old 11-07-2007, 02:07 PM

[QUOTE=leomom;9659235]
Quote:
So, I bought 3 costumes for Target on clearance last week for under 30 dollars. I was planning to give them to DD for Christmas b/c she LOVES dressing up. But..it has been eating at me since I bought them. They were all made in China. And she doesn't need them. She has so much. And we are already making her a balance beam for Christmas, so we don't really need another gift. So..I think I should return them. But then I think maybe I'm taking this whole China thing too far. I know she'll really enjoy them.

I don't know. What do you guys think???

Ok...so I'm still really needing advice on this....anyone? Bueller?
What if you only returned one or two, and then gave her the other(s)? Takes the edge off and still gives her a gift she'd love.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:14 PM

Thanks for the advice, guys! I think I'll keep one. Good idea. She just has so much. I have a stack of gifts in closet that people have given her that I've held back b/c she just has so much stuff. So, I'm giving her some of it, too. Goodwill is an AWESOME idea!! I'm going to check that out! Thanks!

As for the yeast, I don't refrigerate mine, but that doesn't mean you aren't supposed to...however, since the dough needs to be warm to rise...I would think you wouldn't refrigerate...but what do I know, I throw it in a machine and let it do the work and thinking for me!
Old 11-07-2007, 02:27 PM

I keep my yeast in the freezer and I've never had an issue with it.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
Old 11-07-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Well, a craving is a craving. But, after you eat it, you'll have nothing to show for it...except the artery clogging gunk that is in restaurant food...mmm, that's what makes it taste good. Maybe you could make yourself a homemade pizza...with yummy stuff on top. It's pretty cheap to make and you probably have everything you need...
Well, I was thinking of some margherita melanzane from the Italian place in town owned by Sicilians, with wine, of course.

I think I can actually buy the melanzane mixture there though. Maybe tomorrow night I will buy that and some pasta and a bottle of wine. It will be a little cheaper that way, but still yummy.

I already made a salad and have soup in the slow cooker for tonight.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:

You can still make it, just add liquid a little at a time, knead and let rise under a warm wet dish towel for about an hour....
THANK YOU !!!! I will add this to my list this week .
Old 11-07-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
5/30 make DH go to bed
Interesting goal Michelle!
Old 11-07-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
no I don't have a breadmaker I will have to put that in the budget in Jan ...LOL
I got my breadmaker from a fellow freecycler!
Old 11-07-2007, 03:22 PM

User Tag List