Mothering Forum banner

November No-Spend Challenge ~ Come check in, it's time to get started saving money!

23K views 1K replies 96 participants last post by  vivalamama 
#1 ·
This thread is a support thread to help you ~not spend your money~. Everyone is welcome to join (we would love to have you) and you are welcome to start at any time. It doesn't have to be November 1st.

The plan is simple (although very tough to execute):

1. Vow not to spend any money on unnecessary purchases.

2. Come on here everyday and record your spending.

3. If you think that you absolutely MUST buy something, come on here and tell us about it first. Sometimes taking the time to come on here and post before you buy something will help you not buy it.

4. Provide encouragement for your fellow non-spenders and try to talk THEM out of buying things.

Good luck Ladies!!
Let's have a strong November!!! Keep that money in your wallet.

ETA: Our no-spend threads tend to get very long...if you are new and considering joining us you don't need to read the entire thread (unless you want to). Just read the first three entries and jump right in. Start your no-spending today!

See less See more
#606 ·
Went to the bank and deposited that money yesterday. Thanks for the kicks ladies!

Also went to a shopping thingy and followed my shopping rules!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKinAK View Post
hhmmm, so do you count using your 'mad money' as a spend day? took dd to a kids yoga class today, under my personal non-essential spending category? what do you all do?
I count it as a budgteted spend.

#607 ·
11/1:
No Spend!!
11/2:
No Spend!!
11/3:
: 5.39 at Taco Bell... oops!
11/4:
No un-budgeted spending...
11/5:
No Spend!!
11/6:
: spent WAY too much.... 113 @ Gamestop and 41 at Target... technically some of the Gamestop money was part of DF's xmas gift that we forgot Sunday... and I needed bras and some toiletries.. but STILL!! I think about 70 of what we spent was necessary/budgeted....
11/7:
No un-budgeted spending... I bought a pair of jeans (my pre-preg ones will NOT button anymore), a white long sleeve (I got a bunch of short sleeve/no sleeve maternity shirts for free and with the shirt I can layer and still wear them during the winter) and a pair of pajama pants for my mom whose birthday is today

11/8:
I did spend 50 dollars on maternity clothes but that got me a pair of black pants, a pair of khakis, a pair of jeans and 15 shirts that I can wear to work!!!
11/9:
No spend! I technically spent money but my mom is reimbursing me so I don't count it!
11/10:
I spent some of my "fun money" but nothing else!

Goals:
Keep DF at under 200 cash a week: 1/4
Eat at home: 9/25
No online shopping: 10/30
No spend days: 8/25

#608 ·
11/1: NO SPEND
11/2: 31.27 at Staples (including 14.98 for new keyboard, and other necessary office supplies); 35.00 at grocery store, including $20 for care package for niece.
11/3: $265.89 at Target (including $215 on X-Mas (still w/i budget, but close), and $40 on home essentials. $10 frivolous).
11/4 $38 and change on groceries, all necessary.
11/5 $36 on parking Exhorbitant, but necessary for driving into the city to file a complaint that could net me $$$ if it's successful.
11/6 $36.48 on groceries, plus $2 on lottery ticket ; $22.71 on gas
11/7: NO SPEND
11/8: $28 eating out (within budget); $60 to place ad for puppies (forgot to budget for this)
11/9:
: $36 eating out (last budgeted meal out); $125 on gift cards for X-Mas (now, I'm $50 over budget); $65.00 at Build-a-Bear (all over budget); $48 on groceries; $9 on medicine; $86 on holiday cards (I forgot to budget for this, and this is more than I wanted to spend); $13 on hat and mittens for DS2; $230 on violin rental for DD (not in budget).

#609 ·
Nov 1: no spend
Nov 2: no spend
Nov 3: Girls day with DD, priceless
Nov 4: no spend, only got groceries which are budgeted
Nov 5: .25 on coffee
Nov 6: .25 coffee, $6.47 for spinach dip & bread for work potluck tomorrow.
Nov 7: .25 coffee
Nov 8: .25 coffee $120 on 2 new cell phones
Nov 9: 6.99 goggles for DD who starts swimming classes tomorrow. Necessary but not planned.
Nov 10: $21 on lunch out.

#610 ·
NOVEMBER
1:
Used $40 prepay at the chiropractor
2:
Used $40 prepay at the chiropractor, spent $64.84 on orthopedic inserts for my shoes (and for DH) so I can hopefully avoid using more prepays at the chiropractor! Plus shipping swap stuff for $32.57 and $1.00 at the library to look up my card - stupid tax because I left it at home.
3:
$35 on gas
4:
$22.77 on groceries - 2 gal. organic milk, 18 organic eggs, box of Gardenburgers at Costco
5:
$19.52 on baby wipes and a slice of pizza and diet soda at Costco - skipping the baking set I wanted but didn't need!
6:
: $9 for school lunch. I didn't pack. But
I earned $40 for an hour at a user study.

7:
Tru no spend; I earned $170 babysitting
8:
: I spent $120 on day care, necessary. $10 on school lunch - totally unnecessary. $10.83 on socks for DS, necessary. $5.50 on headbands for me - bangs are growing out and they needed something to hold them back, necessary. $32.41 on natural shampoo, conditioner and mascara - frivolous but nice for me!
9:
: I spent $5 on a raffle, $11 on lunch, and $.75 on a cookie at the open house at the California School for the Deaf
10:
$6.25 at the farmer's market
11:
12:
13:
14:
15:
16:
17:
18:
19:
20:
21:
22:
23:
24:
25:
26:
27:
28:
29:
30:

GOALS:
* Total Spent this month within budget: $324.80
* Less than $200 in frivolous spending: month to date: $71.70
* Stay within grocery budget (includes Thanksgiving): $62.31/$300

* At least 20 days (no spend or spending w/in budget): 7/30
* Pack school lunch every day: 1/8
* NO Big Box Stores (Costco excluded): 9/30
* NO library fines: month to date $0

KEY:
True no spend
Spending within budget
: Spending outside budget

#611 ·
1. NO SPENDING DAY!! made $27
2. $45 at Target (snowpants, high socks, bday present, bread, milk) made $46
3. NO SPENDING DAY!!
4. NO SPENDING DAY!!
5. NO SPENDING DAY!! made $29
6. MY BDAY!! Spent $11.96 at SuperTarget (apples, cat food, baby spinach, carrots, and ice cream) made $63
7. $1.25 for my weekly diet coke
: made $23
8. $84 at the dentist, $4.36 for milk and 3 loaves of bread, $455 for next session of gymnastics

9. $94 groceries (saved $18+), $64.50 for gas, $4.15 for coffee, $10 for a pair of jammies for ds, $13.99 for dinner
: $1.82 for 2 Christmas gifts for ds (used $10 off any purchase), $70 for inwall speaker wire (found off of craigslist saving at least $30), $3.98 for skirt and pants at TCP, $27.48 for Christmas presents my girls (Famous Footwear B1G1 1/2 off, plus $10 off and free shipping)
10. $49.xx for groceries for Thanksgiving, $20 for lunch
: $99 for finishing basement supplies

~4/10 NO SPENDING DAYS
~$64.50/$150 gas budget
~2/2 eating out
~$169.32/$350 grocery budget
~declutter 300 items 92/300 made $217

#616 ·
no spend and no drive!

Nov 1
: $499!!! fuel pump for car, $5 kiddie gym Made $$
Nov 2
fast food (my cash) Made $$
Nov 3
in budget spending for DD's birthday party
Nov 4
toys to exchange for DDs halloween candy Made $$
Nov 5
costco, in budget, 2.50 on pizza (my cash), 8.50 candy for gma
Nov 6
groceries, under budget!, gasoline, csa
Nov 7

Nov 8

Nov 9
kids yoga class, out to dinner 28 in budget
Nov 10

The Plan:
Make a weekly meal plan and stick to the grocery list 1/4
Groceries once a week only ($75 or less, not incl weekly CSA) 1/4
Fill gas once a week only on grocery day 1/4
Non-essential spending for me 15.20/$50

Record each purchase to track spending
Pack snacks and water every time we get in the car
Make list of Christmas 'giftees' and create holiday budget.

DD1 Birthday 117/$120 done
Give DH cash for the month for gasoline and fun money done
Only ONE stock-up trip to Costco 1/1 done

#617 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by leomom View Post
Went to the bank and deposited that money yesterday. Thanks for the kicks ladies!

Also went to a shopping thingy and followed my shopping rules!

I count it as a budgteted spend.
that makes sense, thanks!

good for you for following the rules

#618 ·
Yay CKinAK and mrskennedy, I'm sorry you have unforseen expenses. Those are a PITA, especially around this time of year.

So, for me, I only spent $30 on babysitter fees yesterday (Saturday). Oh wait, I forgot the pizza I bought them, and which they only ate two pieces of. Sigh. $20, but I know what we're eating for breakfast tomorrow!

Anyway, I didn't buy a thing on the date and it felt really nice (not to mention he makes a zillion with his two jobs, so I didn't feel that bad). We had dinner and then movies with popcorn and a soda. I offered to buy the snacks, but he made a joke out of it and then paid.

I had FUN. For the first time in a long time. I'm not putting too much stock in this, but for now, for fun, it's right.

#619 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by annethcz View Post
I saw that the piano is gone- hooray! How about the massage table?
It sold, as well as a baby entertainer that I didn't want/need for the new baby that I had for dd! This week DH is getting some of his stuff up (car stuff that he has had lying around forever unused collecting dust). Hopefully we can sell his stuff and pay off another CC!

#620 ·
Nov 1: $30 for DH and I to eat out
Nov 2:

Nov 3:

Nov 4:

Nov 5:
: $107 for dd's new bed, $80 for our new chiffarobe. Both necessary.
Nov 6:
$8 for food (budgeted). $325 made from sell of piano.
Nov 7:
Made $100 from sale of massage table. Spent $30 and rest is for DH and I to split and spend while out of town tomorrow. But he already spent his and we haven't left yet!

Nov 8:
: We went out of town for DH's Garth Brooks concert. $20 for a baby shower gift. $100 on a cc for a double stroller (only 2 stores within 250 miles carried it and one happened to be where we were). $36 for food. $50 for a hotel room because I couldn't handle a car ride home I was in so much pain. $10 on random things throughout the day.
Nov 9:
I spent $28 on a bedrail for dd's bed and epsom salts, but we needed both. Made $40 from sale of a baby entertainer!
Nov 10:

#621 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by anniej View Post
Yay CKinAK and mrskennedy, I'm sorry you have unforseen expenses. Those are a PITA, especially around this time of year.

So, for me, I only spent $30 on babysitter fees yesterday (Saturday). Oh wait, I forgot the pizza I bought them, and which they only ate two pieces of. Sigh. $20, but I know what we're eating for breakfast tomorrow!

Anyway, I didn't buy a thing on the date and it felt really nice (not to mention he makes a zillion with his two jobs, so I didn't feel that bad). We had dinner and then movies with popcorn and a soda. I offered to buy the snacks, but he made a joke out of it and then paid.

I had FUN. For the first time in a long time. I'm not putting too much stock in this, but for now, for fun, it's right.
Glad to hear you are having fun.

#622 ·
Nov. 1 -
:$50 for faxes, $16.49 for lunch {chines buffet place that ups my milk supply with their yummy wonton soup}, $55 for brakes, and $30.12 at goodwill {mostly for x-mas gifts}
Nov. 2 -
$8.36 at Wendys {needed to eat with medication}, $35 at Sun Harvest {all need items really}. Made $56 selling old baby items on craigslist
Nov. 3 -
$10 FOL book Sale {new books NOT from china for DD} Made $20 in Survey Checks
Nov. 4 -
{some spending but I didn't do it! Gramma went shopping}
Nov. 5 -
$17.29 at Mcdonalds {We had been out since 8am, and DD had to have blood draws done - after which she wouldn't let go of me at all - thus the fast food.}
Nov. 6 -
$184 for groceries {pretty good considering my bill before coupons was $342!). $20 at the thrift {Christmas presents - budget spending!}. $60 for Perscriptions {budgeted but now my medicaid is through so I won't have to pay this again for a while!}
Nov. 7 -
: $42 at Walmart {christmas supplies}
Nov. 8 -
:$2 Michaels {needle I needed for DD's christmas gifts}, $48 Chinese Restraunt {whole family plus guest from out of town}, $100 loan to friend stuck in town with no cash {will pay back ASAP}
Nov. 9th -
$4.66 food {quickstop}, $185 for groceries at Target {Was $385 for 3 shopping carts full before coupons}, $35.02 Gas {Budgeted}. Made $5 in Survey checks.
Nov. 10 -
:$43 at a yard Sale {Toddler bed, mattress & bedding for DD, Private school uniforms to re-sell}, $46 at Walgreens {Various deals and an iron supplement for DD since medicaid won't cover a perscription one.
:}, $1.84 at McDonalds {fries for DD - she asked and we've been so desperate to get her to eat anything}

Key:
True no spend
Spending within budget
:Spending outside budget

I need to get off my bum and get more items listed on craigslist today.

November Goals:
no spend days 1/15
Eat at home Days 4/20
Stick to the List Days {We grocery Game} 4/20
Try to only spend the Food Stamps 282.75/357
Craiglist money made 56/100
Surveys money made 45.35/?

#623 ·
My goals for this month are:

-Stay in budget $3200
-Save $250
-Reduce our debt of $1500
-Beat my 8 no spend days in oct

1-$2 parking, 32.80 gift for sil
2-pizza $22.32, $12 massage
3-

4-

5-$2 parking, groceries $209.23, $40 dh carpool
6-

7- $2 parking, $45 lawyer
8-

9- $7 ds supplies for trip, $39 gas, $29cc interest
10- $75 property tax, car oil 4.61

$521.96/3200

#624 ·
Hi! This is a truly awesome thread. I forced myself to skip to the end after reading it for 45 minutes.

My life is about to change in a big way. My dp is finally quitting his high-pay, high-stress, crappy-location job and starting his own business. We bought a much cheaper house in a much cheaper area, are buying one used car and selling our two cars (one of which has a huge honking payment), etc. etc. I'm really excited about our scaled-down lifestyle.

But the other half of the equation - reduced monthly expenses - scares me. With my tiny salary and our interest income, we'll have $1700/month to live on. No mortgage, but all the other expenses associated with owning a home. Private health insurance is going to be paid out of some money dp's grandfather left him in a health and maintanence trust, but it will be a high-deductible policy so basically our non-catastrophic health care will now be out of pocket.

From January-March, I will be doing the single-parent thing in our new house while dp finishes up with his job and sells our house and cars halfway across the country. So I have a great opportunity to live within our new means without another adult around tempting me to go out to eat, etc. But I think I'd better work on my habits NOW, instead on getting into a big Xmas-related hole.

My goals for the rest of November are:

1. No money spent on eating out. None. Not even my birthday. We have some gift cards for Seattle-area restaurants, so it's no deprivation to spend $0 on eating out. If dp wants Subway, he can use his mad money.

2. $150 Xmas gift budget for the kids. Basically, I'm filling their stocking and their loving, generous, shop-happy grandma can be Santa. They won't get the gifts I would have chosen, but tough noogies. They are 1 and 3, they love every present they get.

3. No clothing purchases except 1) some seasonally-appropriate Crocs for me and 2) smaller pants and shirts for dp if he loses more weight and needs them. The kids have everything they need for the winter.

4. All family members are getting a photo of the children for Xmas. I need to get the photo copied (or get a new one taken at Picture People with my free coupon, then copy that) and find a good deal on frames.

5. I'm visiting the ILs through the 17th, so I'll only have one week of groceries to buy this month. For that week, I will spend no more than $100 and we will eat some of the stuff in the pantry that will othewise be thrown away when we move.

Whew. That took a long time to type.

#625 ·
Smithie! So good to see you--sounds like you are definitely in the right place. There are some women here who are doing so, so well. I'm not actually one of them, so don't try to learn from my posts!

Nov 1: $30 charitable giving, from checking; $11 Savers gifts, from checking; $2 Pepsi, from cash; $15 co-op groceries, from joint; $4 library fines, from cash. All w/in budget.
Nov 2: $35 Xmas gift for my partner, from checking, w/in budget; $2 Goodwill, cash. All w/in buget.
Nov 3: $8 McDonalds, cash; $13 Goodwill, checking; $168 art show, joint; $25 pizza, cash; $20 dog fee, cash (will be reimbursed). Art show clearly not budgeted...
Nov 4: $55 dog food, $33 groceries, both joint.
Nov 5: Gah! It was almost a no-spend, but then I had to get gas. $36, on gas card (gets paid by joint acct. each month). In budget.
Nov 6: Today is going to sound really bad, but it's not that terrible. I spent $850 on Visa to make Thanksgiving reservations, but that will be reimbursed. I also spent $11 joint on some dishes at the Goodwill and $6 on lunch. And $20 on sterling silver chains, partially for me and partially for a Christmas present, from checking.
Nov 7: $35 on a book for myself online, from checking, not budgeted; $5 on a flu shot and $5 on coffee, cash.
Nov 8: $33 co-op, groceries, from joint.
Nov 9: $8 at pharmacy for Mark's drugs (he's sick); $10 on kolaches, joint; $33 groceries, joint; $23 Etsy, from money in Paypal.
Nov 10: paid some monthly bills: $400 car payment, about $100 gas, $108.76 cable, $56 internet, all from joint. Decided to only pay min. on CC this month due to extra holiday expenses, so $142 from checking to CC. Spent $12 at the GW on Christmas stuff, from checking.
Nov 11: Today is going to be an actual no-spend, I swear. Later: so much for no spending. $92 at Target on housewares, groceries, and stuff to make my mom a care package (she's having surgery next week). Unplanned, from joint.

November budget update:

To joint account: $2,000/$2,000.00
To student loan: $0/$257.60
To savings: $0/$100.00
To charity: $30/$50.00
To Visa: $212.26/$184.20
To Discover: $142/$500.00
Cash: $75/$100.00
Christmas presents: $91/$100.00
Unbudgeted spending: $35/$0

November goals:

1. STICK TO BUDGET!!
2. No new credit card purchases, aside from Christmas plane tickets.
3. Finish closing out all old CC accounts (I think I may have a big enough credit to buy said plane tix, but I'm not sure).
4. Continue excellent trend of not buying coffee or lunch at work. Aim for no more than 1 coffee/week and 1 lunch/week.
5. Thrift for Christmas presents.

#626 ·
November 1:

November 2: $48 at Target (all nec though/gift), $2 parking, $5 made 3 new keys, $120 Amazon gifts
November 3: $2.75 food, $18.50 wine, $22 post office
November 4: $6 food, $10 on laundry
November 5:
CANCELLED CABLE INTERNET! Not only saved $50 this month but I get a $17 refund as well!
November 6:
(DH bought some groceries but I spent nothing!)
November 7:
I forgot the water bottle and had to spend $1.75 on water. Arg. Otherwise we did good with only ds's $2 for pizza at soccer class.
November 8:

November 9: Paid a couple bills, bought an $8 present for ds for St. Nick
November 10: $15 food at green market
November 11:
dh got haircut ($20) & bought ds resale toy while I gave a babywearing workshop ($12), but I spent nothing

$146/$650 household/food
$238/$300 Misc Spending
0/$40 metrocard
20/$50 laundry
18.50/$40 for fun
0/$400 into savings account
0/$600 on the debt
5/15 no-spend (on anything, even necessary things)

#627 ·
Nov 1-
.60B for lunchbox,1.09 Chips,28.05B Gas.
Nov 2-
15.37B-Nat cleaning supplies, EO and "Mama Spa" goodies
Nov 3-

Nov 4-2.57 Catfood, 12.00 Lunch out
Nov 5-
2.00B parking,68.50B groceries,1.27B Stamps +20.00 Ebay
Nov 6-3.66 lunch,9.57 thrift(shoes and sellables-yay!)
Nov 7-2.00 parking,20.00B Gas,7.39 Ebay fees
Nov 8-8.80 lunch,30.00B gas
Nov 9-
2.00B Parking,29.43B Chanukah Presents & Sellables,9.20BPost office,+15.00 Ebay
Nov 10-

We Will be spending money today though, we're taking Dd to a ballet at her school and then having Dinner with Bubbie- will try to keep ut under a disastrous total-at least the Ballet tickets for all three of us will ony be 25.00.- We were going to go to a different Ballet until we found out that tickets were 30.00 each with no kid disount!
Tally of Evil

GOALS(thanks to those with wise ideas!):

Do at least one better on all of these categories this month than last month:
1.At least 16 days
: 6/30
2.Pack snacks/water for outings/School: 2/30
3.At least two no-car days per week 2/8
4.NO library fines: month to date 0
5. Come here lots
6.Make lists and stick to them
7. Avoid buying my sweets and bake more. 3/5
8. earn at least 50.00 in sellables this month 35/50
9. tally of evil under 100

Acceptable spending:

Twin Sheets- Why did I give all of these away?? freecycle maybe?

Chanukah gift items (only a couple of small things, Chanukah is a minor holiday)-found an umbrella for sis & a cute cloth play lunchbox for Dd.

#628 ·
Nov. 1 - $9 groceries, $16 DH's homeopathic remedies, $20 car wash and detail
Nov. 2 -

Nov. 3 - made $30 on Craigslist but spent $16 @ Natural Family Fair, $17 groceries
Nov. 4 - $7 natural toothpaste
Nov. 5 -

Nov. 6 - DH $70 groceries
Nov. 7 - $10 groceries for stuff DH forgot
Nov. 8 -

Nov. 9 -

Nov. 10 -

$42/50 discretionary spending
$106/350 groceries
$30/$100 Gas
$0 over budget

The good side of working - I have no time to spend $$! Another good side - I got my first cheque Friday and I'm getting $100 more a week than I thought I'd be getting - probably forgot to calculate for the child tax credit. DH and I decided that half will go to savings and the other half will make our budget more realistic...especially my allowance, hee hee. Now if I can only survive the life of a working mama - no baby behavioral/nutritional/housekeeping/relationship meltowns yet, one week and counting.

#629 ·
The 2 unexpected bills I have aren't due until the middle of Dec. So I can wait and pay them on the 1st.
Maybe I'll actually be able to *afford* them by then!

Spent $13.64 on a present for DH last night, but didn't edit yesterday's post. Bad me!

New totals:
01 $596.78 rent/water, $407 heating oil, $3.22 winter clothes for DS. made $23.40 writing and GPT, $64 from Mom
, saved $6.73 cell bill adjustment

06 $367.50 tuition, $30 rug for DS's room, $25 groceries

08 $6.39 gas bill, $11.49 groceries, $16.21 DS winter clothes, $5 present. Saved $23.61 on gas, found $200!

10 $25.64 presents

Totals:
No spend: 7/30
Budgeted spending: 4/30
$36.49/240 groceries (tracking to create accurate grocery budget)
Unbudgeted, necessary spending: 0/30
Unbudgeted, unnecessary spending: 0/30
Made/saved $: 3/30

Budgeted extras:
$46.21/75: Christmas pics of DS, pic frames, Winter clothes for DS--done, rug for DS's room--done
$30.64/75 presents: sis, BIL, DS--done, brother--done, DH--done

#630 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dachshundqueen View Post
:Lunch BK $10
Did well
$2.00 Halloween candy on sale (DH ate all of our gluten/dairy/soy/egg free candy and 2 yo running around crying, "Daddy ate all my canda Mama.")

9: wink (I even went to Target and Walmart but couldn't find what I needed, toddler dress shoes)
10:
(already have dinner out and 3/4 made, went to lunch with friend, using my free sub coupon & drank water, brought toddler's lunch, nursed newborn)
I'm struggling today with wanting to go out to buy groceries....for which there isn't any money. Blah. We ate the planned dinner for lunch so now I'm totally screwed for dinner. I don't know what I'm going to make. Hopefully I won't cave!
Liz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.