November No-Spend Challenge ~ Come check in, it's time to get started saving money! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1133 Old 10-31-2007, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's so great to see everyone here, all striving for similar goals! :

To the person who asked how you budget for things like gifts or insurance premiums -- I follow Mary Hunt's "Freedom Account" method. (I recommend reading her book "Debt-Proof Living" -- I got a lot out of it, though I had to ignore the religious stuff). Essentially you figure out how much you spend yearly on things that are not part of your regular monthly budget -- gifts, insurance premiums, car repairs, etc. -- and then you divide that amount by twelve. You then put that much into a savings account every month, and when you need the money you take it from there. She has a system of keeping track of the "sub-accounts" too. There's more info here. It's a technique that really let me track our spending really closely and not worry about a big bill coming up down the road.

To the person who asked about posting a budget -- I don't know if that's normally done in this thread, but I'm sure people would be willing to look at it and comment. Or maybe you could start another thread on that.

Good luck everyone!

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#62 of 1133 Old 10-31-2007, 04:16 PM

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.
I'm Kim, SAHM to my homeschooled monkeys.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of November. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.
DH got a raise this summer and we had a few debts cleared up. We've got around $400 extra coming in and $160 less going out each month, and yet we don't have it to show because we're allowing ourselves too many extras (mainly eating out or purchasing convenience foods). I want to be socking away money in a savings account instead of letting it dribble away by spending unconsciously.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?
- Menu plan! This is my biggest area of difficulty now since I'm still getting used to the increased workload of homeschooling. We're eating out waaaay too much.
- Stick to a specific list for Christmas shopping and purchase what we can afford, not what people might expect.
- No impulse purchases. If I expect to spend $20 on scrapbooking supplies, I don't need to come home with $60 in supplies, no matter what kind of sale is on (not that I did this last week or anything...)

Goals:
- 20 no-spend days
- No library fines
- Revise and update budget so we can start using it again
- Eat out three or fewer times
- Menu plan two weeks at a time
- Do one large grocery trip on cheap Tuesday and buy fresh foods no more than once a week
- Make DH some bread so I finally use up all my flour and stop buying loaves

Kim - Wife to Liam , Unschooly mama to Nick (10/00) Lily (09/05) and Olivia (07/09)
#63 of 1133 Old 10-31-2007, 04:33 PM

[QUOTE=Crunchy*VT*Mom;9582976][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][SIZE="3"]1. I'm Dennie, and a SAHM, student mom to 1, soon-to-be 2, girls.

2. We live with my parents. We have debt from credit cards and a business venture gone very wrong. Once those two debts are paid off we can focus on more important things, like moving to our own place and feeling the freedom of having an extra $600 or so a month!

3. For the first time ever, DH and I are going to use a cash system. No plastic, including debit cards. We've wrote out a plan based on a 4 paycheck month (DH gets paid weekly) using the average minimum of his checks and the average maximum amount of our bills. What's left over is what we have to spend, and that's been separated into food, gas, and misc categories. This month we'll have an extra paycheck to use to pay things down and get some things we need, so that's nice!

The hardest part of this month is DH has been sick, so his first paycheck of this new budget is $90 less than what we expected. Meaning we have $16 after bills and no gas in either one of our vehicles. Or food. So we may go out today and use a card to fill the vehicles and pick up a few staples and then pay it with the extra paycheck at the end of the month.
#64 of 1133 Old 10-31-2007, 04:38 PM

[QUOTE=mysticpi;9584356]1.

Hi! I'm Mysticpi,
QUESTION: I am wondering how you guys budget savings into your budget. Should I just say all extra $ goes to savings or should I set an amount and give myself some wiggle room for error? (and how much wiggle room?)

oh, and ANOTHER QUESTION. How do you keep track of expenses that don't happen every month? Take clothes or gifts for instance when some months I may not spend any and others overspend.

I use Dave Ramsey's plan. First, we saved 1000 for emergency expenses. Now we put X amount on CC using his snowball method. The we take the rest and subtract all bills. The rest is our expendable income. I use Dave's budget categories (daveramsey.com) to allocate the rest. I distribute the cash using the envelope method. Once we are out of debt, we will put X amount into savings first and start putting X amount into ing accounts labeled for things that only come once or so a year, like vacations, haircuts, clothes, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherdeg View Post
* Print out the objectives of The Compact and put them on the bathroom mirror, the fridge and the car dashboard.
I would love a link to a printable form of The Compact Objectives if you have it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengingophelia View Post
I just got paid today for the next month, and I am thinking of posting my entire budget here so it will be in print and y'all can help me stick to it. Would that be too much? Does anyone else do that?
Saw your budget. Depending on how many you have to buy for, you may be able to do holidays for cheap. Have you visited the 0$ Holiday Challenge thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavournin View Post
Quoting myself...

It came! And it's more than double of last year's rebate!! Over $700!! I can pay for Christmas and pay some bills!!
Woo-hoo. That's awesome.
#65 of 1133 Old 10-31-2007, 04:45 PM

Hi, I'm a SAHM to 2 girls. I am in charge of our finances. In the last few months, I have conquered the over-spending on the cc. I have also been adhering pretty well to only spending cash. But I am still buying stuff we could live without. And still succumbing to those impulse food purchases at the grocery store unless I make a conscious effort not to do so. I also spend every penny of our expendable income and would like to have some left over at the end of the month.

My plan is to stick to perimeter in grocery and only go once a week and use a list.

Try to live by the mantra, "Less is more."

Use only cash. Only use my debit card for gas. If I purchase something online I will go to bank FIRST and deposit the cash.

Only buy things (things we need) that are on sale and a GREAT deal or cannot wait.! (Other than groceries)

Goals:

No spend days: 0/20
No grocery days: 0/24
Only cash days (debit card for gas): 0/28
#66 of 1133 Old 10-31-2007, 05:33 PM

My goals for this month are:

-Stay in budget $3200
-Save $250
-Reduce our debt of $1500
-Beat my 8 no spend days in oct
#67 of 1133 Old 10-31-2007, 09:54 PM

OK, I'm gonna jump in!
1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

Hi, I'm Noel a SAHM.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of November. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.
I need to spend less this month because we have a baby coming next month and Christmas and high heating bills. So, I hope if I don't spend we will be able to afford all of these things.
I also want to buy extra groceries to freeze some meals to have while I am recovering and am just too busy to cook. DP works nights so dinner time/bath time/bed time is especially hard.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?
Well, I just went grocery shopping, I have a menu plan, the car is filled with gas, and we don't need anything right now. I plan to stay away from Target and any other store that can "draw me in." Must not open my e-mails from Hanna Andersson.

Goals:
Save money to buy extra meals to freeze
Save money to buy Christmas presents

The only thing I plan on spending that is out of the ordinary is $50 to have DP's pants hemmed. He just took them in today and they will be ready in two weeks.

I plan to spend the month cleaning and organizing to get ready for the baby!
#68 of 1133 Old 10-31-2007, 10:28 PM

I am a SAHM.

I would like to learn to spend less and live with less in general. I am trying to avoid mindless consumerism.

We are also planning a move and I would like to spend as little money as possible.

I plan to only buy things I can really use.

GOALS:
Food from the grocery store: 0/$750
Eating out: 0/$150
Coffee: 0/$30
Coat for ds1: 0/$35
Long John's for me: ??
gas: 0/$250
personal spending on whatever: 0/$100

NO FAST FOOD!

I plan to record all spending since it helps me. I tend to overspend on food, I guess, but it may just be that our prices are higher here. I don't know. I will only count no spend days as days that I spend nothing.
#69 of 1133 Old 10-31-2007, 11:24 PM

Jill - where are you moving?????

Alright ladies, I'm ready for this great month of November. I'm putting in an offer on an apt building this week, so I'm really going to have to buckle down.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#70 of 1133 Old 11-01-2007, 12:40 AM

November- here I come!

[1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.My name is Tiffany and although my husband and I are not really spenders, I would still like to see what I spend decrease.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of October. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.[/COLOR]

We are currently TTC, and having trouble with that. Our insurance doesn't pay for meds or for IVF (if it comes to that), so we need to take a look at our spending. My first priority in spending is for my fertility meds.
3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?[/size][/quote]

Plan: Not shopping online (Amazon is my weakness) or in the store. I am good with that. I hate shopping.

TRY to curb my fast food purchases/ eating out purchases.

On the plus side, we don't spend a lot for groceries. Husband sometimes works 2-11 or 1-10 shifts, so those days I eat cereal or a sandwich. I work Also hubby is GREAT for eating leftovers. I swear he could eat the same thing for 3 or 4 days in a row.

I really need to curb my spending this month! My working hours got decreased, so I need to be especially mindful til they pick up again- IF they pick up again.

Proud mama to : Nicholas James born 3/19/09
#71 of 1133 Old 11-01-2007, 12:55 AM

Hi everyone! I'm Ali. I'm 32 years old. I've got a five year old son and two year old daughter. DH and I have been married for 9 years. We've had some great financial successes, especially early on in our marriage (we paid of 72K in debt in the first few years of our marriage), but have been floundering this past year. I was laid off from my corporate gig in January. I collected unemployment for six months and we just frittered it away. I could just kick myself now. I've now launched a new business and have had to take out a loan for that. Our credit card debt, not counting my business debt, is about 5K. No car payments, thank goodness, but we do have a sizable mortgage (50% of DH's take home pay).

This is my first no spend month. I'm excited!

It's time to make progress for a change. We need to start saving for things, build up our emergency fund, spend less on groceries, and pay off our debts.

We have $100/week for food and household items. I'm going to stick to this for a change. This means planning. Lots of planning, especially for groceries. It means only one trip to the store each week and cooking from scratch.

DH and I each get a weekly allowance. I won't break out my debit card for things that exceed this amount.

No new clothes. Don't need them.

Stay off of Ebay and away from etailers. This also means tempering my urge to run out and buy something someone I "know" online has gone out and bought. (There are a lot of posts at flickr and on various blogs where people showcase their new wares--I know I've done it. It might be cute shoes or sock yarn. Anyhow, these sorts of things tempt me more than anything else.)

I'm going to turn to this thread, these boards, and frugally-minded bloggers for support.

I'm going to shoot for 20 no spend days.
#72 of 1133 Old 11-01-2007, 01:17 AM

Hi all! I attempted a no-spend month last month with total failure...twice...so i just quit. But i'm going to give this another shot because i know my wallet will thank me!!

I want to no-spend because DH is in college for the next 2 years and jobless (as Dell closed down our local site, and we opted NOT to move to texas). We are on UI (unemployment insurance) for the next year (it got extended due to college and the job moving...) and i'm trying to scrimp and save every last cent to make our second jobless year easier. (DH *will* probably have to get a job once the UI runs out, but i'd like the hours to be as minimal as possible, since he's already gone over 50 hours with classes and studying his butt off!).

My Goal is to do no unnecessary spending - and stick to my budget! My budget is as follows:

$300 - rent
$137 - medical/dental
$50.25 - car insurance
$17.29 - life insurance 1
$26.05 - life insurance 2
$200 - food
$30 - toiletres
$100 - gas
$13.99 - netflix
$50 - spending cash
$309.42 - next year fund
$50 - misc. savings
TOTAL: $1284

Yes...that is our ENTIRE budget...we don't have clothes/eating out/etc categories. We do that with our spending cash. The "misc" is for co-pays, oil changes, etc.

I do know we have 3 doctors appointments this month. I'm insured and DH isn't (he's uninsurable due to weight...which is crap because he's never been sick, he's super healthy and the insurance company KNOWS that since we used them for the past 5 years!!!) so DH goes through a local low-income/no insurance clinic. We have to pay 25% due to our takehome. So...his will cost us $106. If i don't have enough to cover that in our misc. savings then i'll pull some out of another savings. Which IMO is okay cause it's not like its frivalous or anything!!! (my dentist appt. just has the $15 co-pay - or so i *think*...but new insurance policy, so ya never know...).

Okay - so there you have it! That being said, i think i'm gonna go out with "gusto" for October and go splurge on a gardenburger subway sammich!
#73 of 1133 Old 11-01-2007, 01:39 AM

Hi, I'm Laura, I'm a WAHM to a 14yo, a 4yo, and an almost 2yo. I'm also an aspiring midwife. My dp has been out of work since Feb, we've eaten through our savings and have a large cc debt from our transatlantic move three years ago. I do in home childcare for a few friends but the income is not reliable. We receive WIC but are not eligible for FS because it would put my citizenship at risk. It is really hard to budget when I have no idea how much $ or even if any $ there will be in any given week. We are in a really lucky situation here, we are caretakers and have no rent/mortagage expenses, and our utilities are covered except for phone/internet.

I really want us to pay down our cc debt, we have transferred it to a low % card but I want it to be gone! I would love to try the Dave Ramsey programme but my dp isn't interested in even reading it. I am also panicking about Christmas because I do not see any way for us to manage presents for the little ones, much less the teen.

My plan is to shop only once a week, or to only carry $10 to the local store (WholeFoods if I absolutely need soymilk, or bananas. To drive as little as possible, staying home saves money! Not to use the credit card at all, except for an emergency like car repair (which happened twice last month!).

I really like the idea of posting goals/running totals but I can't work out how to carry them from one post to the next, I also get overwhelmed by the sheer quatity of posts and can't find my own. I did join last months' challenge but dropped out because of this. :

Goals:

No spend days 0/20
No drive days 0/20
Grocery shopping 0/5
#74 of 1133 Old 11-01-2007, 02:46 AM

Subbing and short intro:1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.
We are three Myself,DP, & Dd-we would love to be four, and so have been TTC for 2+ years. I will find out on 11/5 if IVF round #3 "took" and if so we will have a new babe to look forward to in the upcoming year. If not we are on to round#4, and the accompanying $$ for meds, "spermies" etc. I am a SAHM, part-time WOHM ( I nanny & Dd comes with), and part-time student. DP works full time and will be in a part-time MFA program come spring, so all three of us will be in school.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of November. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases. 36,000 in student loans (DP)-She was in a PHd program for 9 years. 8,000 in CC debt (ME)-I was raising teenage sibings before they grew up and I gained family round#2. and NO cushion.

List goals, come here often!

GOALS(thanks to those with wise ideas!):
Do at least on better on all of these categories this month than last month:
1.At least 16 days: 0/30
2.Pack snacks/water for outings/School: 0/30
3.At least two no-car days per week 0/8
4.NO library fines: month to date 0
5. Come here lots
6.Make lists and stick to them
7. Avoid buying my sweets and bake more. 0/5
8. earn at least 50.00 in sellables this month 0/50
9. tally of evil under 100

Acceptable spending:

Twin Sheets- Why did I give all of these away?? freecycle maybe?
Still searching for a lunchbox!!!
Chanukah gift items (only a couple of small things, Chanukah is a minor holiday)
ONE totally functional pair of shoes. I bought and sold three pairs of shoes in October looking for one Black pair that fits with my orthotics and that I like the look of!

October totals:1. 13/30, 2.Pack snacks: 11/30,3. no-car 4/8 4.Library $10, 7. Bake more. 1/5, 8.Sellables:63.27/50,9. tally of evil:134.00
#75 of 1133 Old 11-01-2007, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamimapster View Post
what kind of lunchbox are you looking for? I have a brand new cooler-type one that I would be more than willing to send you for shipping only.
#76 of 1133 Old 11-01-2007, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGlimmeringHope View Post
. For the first time ever, DH and I are going to use a cash system. No plastic, including debit cards.
We have been striving for this also. We have yet to have a successful month, but we are doing much better! Good Luck!
#77 of 1133 Old 11-01-2007, 04:26 AM

This will be my third month here! It is really helping!
I am a SAHM to a 4 year old dd and a 2 year old ds, we have ALOT going on right now money wise with an upcoming vacation, Christmas, home renovations approaching, cc debt, student debt, and car payments. Not easy with one income so I have to keep more control of our money and where it goes!
This month I am going to try and keep our card spending at an absolute minimum! We have been trying for about 2 months now to get on a cash only system, so we will continue to strive for that goal.

Goals:
No spend days: 23
No DS, Etsy, DT: 27
Non-essential spending <$200
Save, Save, Save!
#78 of 1133 Old 11-01-2007, 05:35 AM

All right, I tried this a few months ago. I posted an intro, then messed up the first two days of the month and just quit. So I'm going to try again.

Quote:
I'm Ann, a SAHM of 4 kids. We moved from the suburbs to the country a few months ago. I had hoped that we could live a more relaxed, more self-sufficient life in the country, but I'm not living up to my goals. I'm driving more than ever, and we're not spending much time at home.
Quote:
-we need to buy more propane before winter arrives. We've pre-purchased $1400 worth of propane for the winter, but I'm afraid that won't be enough, especially since this will be our first winter in this house.
-we've made some poor choices since we moved, and we have a small amount of credit card debt that needs to go.
-I will feel much more secure when we have a larger savings account.
Quote:
I notice that I spend so much more money- on gas, eating out, and buying things at Target- when I leave my small town and drive into suburbia. My goal for this month will be to stick closer to home. I've been doing better lately when it comes to eating at home, I want to continue this trend. Thanksgiving will be a challenge, but I'm planning for it, which should help.

Lunch out with DH: 0/2
Stay within 15 miles of home: 0/24
No frivolous spending: 0/30
Track Grocery spending
Track Eating out spending
Track gasoline spending
Track spending/income on chickens (determine if they are paying for themselves yet).

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#79 of 1133 Old 11-01-2007, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I am thinking of posting my entire budget here so it will be in print and y'all can help me stick to it. Would that be too much? Does anyone else do that?
Grace -- This thread is for you. If it will help you to write it all out and post it, then post away!

Okay...I just saw you already posted it. Great!

Today's our first day....Keep that money in your wallet!!!! Go No-Spenders Go!!!

#80 of 1133 Old 11-01-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamimapster View Post
I have a couple of old school metal lunchboxes in the donate pile. I could send one to you.
#81 of 1133 Old 11-01-2007, 09:34 AM

#82 of 1133 Old 11-01-2007, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post
Hey All!

Ruth, SAHM mom to 2 and pregnant with a third.

Quote:
We are buying a minivan this month -- a used Sienna hopefully. We have a decent amount saved and would like another 2K for the down payment. We will still need to take out a small loan, but we are trying to limit the amount we borrow.

Quote:
My budget is all set for the month. Now I just need to do the hard work and stick to it. We have extra set aside for Thanksgiving and a gift that needs to be bought for friends who are moving away. Other than that, it is all about eating at home, keeping the heat turned off for as long as possible and taking advantage of this nice Autumn weather.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#83 of 1133 Old 11-01-2007, 10:31 AM

OK, I've looked at my budget and settled on some goals:

1. STICK TO BUDGET!!
2. No new credit card purchases, aside from Christmas plane tickets.
3. Finish closing out all old CC accounts (I think I may have a big enough credit to buy said plane tix, but I'm not sure).
4. Continue excellent trend of not buying coffee or lunch at work. Aim for no more than 1 coffee/week and 1 lunch/week.
5. Thrift for Christmas presents.
#84 of 1133 Old 11-01-2007, 10:39 AM

Hi, my name is Erin. I live in DE with my husband (Mr. K) of 11.5 years and our 3.5 yo daughter (Abigail). I first learned about MDC almost 4 years ago when I was preggers and learning about CDing. I drifted off to a few other boards, but now I'm back.

For the past year I have had this unexplainable desire to simplify/down-size/de-clutter/live more with less. I've thought, thought, thought & read, read, read about it but never taken any major steps in that direction. Doing this challenge right before Thanksgiving and Christmas will really help focus my mind on being thankful what really matters. My mantra for Christmas is "tis better to give then to receive."

Pantry Challenge - The freezer and pantry aren't bursting at the seams but I think I've got quit a bit with which to work. I'm allowing $20 per week to buy a couple gallons of milk (hormone free from BJ's), eggs & fresh fruit and veggies (local farmer's market), and bread (local bread outlet).
TOTAL = $80

12 no spend days

12 no drive days - I have one exception. Abigail goes to preschool 3 days a week. Round-trip mileage is 8.8 miles (I clocked it this AM). If I drop her off, come home, and then pick her up in the afternoon, I will call that a no drive day.

20 Ebay items - One item for each business day in the month (I took 2 off for Veteran's Day and Thanksgiving). If I post the links, will that be considered spam?

Gas = $25 per week. That won't even fill up the tank of my station wagon but it will be enough to get around. TOTAL = $100

Clothing = nothing. Abigail is set and so am I. I'm going to save my pennies for our Christmas Trip back home to MI. The thrift stores are AWESOME!!!

Hobbies = nothing.

Household Items = $10 per week. I don't have any TP, paper towels, trash bags in my Pantry so I'll need to buy as we use up. I'm switching over to glass food storage so I promised myself $10 per pay period to slowly build up my collection. I want to switch over to homemade cleaning products and need to get some EOs to make them smell nice. I'm guessing these might be kind of pricey at the local HFS. TOTAL = $40

Personal Spending Money = $10 per week. I'm going to get it all in $1's This will cover Diet Cokes at WaWa, bagels, lunch @ the local pizza joint, etc. TOTAL = $40

GRAND TOTAL FOR NOVEMBER = $260

TH 11/1 - I listed 7 things on Ebay and 5 of the listings were lots! That felt really good. It's been a no-car and no-spend day as well. WooHoo ... I'm on a roll!!! I just listed 3 more items on Ebay. Now I just hope they all sell. Hee Hee! Dang am I having fun ... 6 books listed on Ebay. Go Erin, Go Erin!

F 11/2 - Listed Abigail's crib on Ebay. Withdrew $60 cash from the Bank. Expenses: $5.85 @ bread outlet, $17.83 @ Save A Lot (I was surprised how little I got ), $25 gas in the car, $1.29 fountain drink, $2.30 @ the bagel shop, $5.46 @ WM for glass storage, TOTAL = $57.73

S 11/3 - DH and DD went out for the AM so I de-cluttered the linen closet and master bath. Master bath also got a good cleaning and the shower a deep cleaning. Boy was it nasty!!! (Anyone have any good solutions for cleaning that gosh-awful pink film that grows in my shower?? I'd be your friend forever!) Expenses: $.63 on taco seasoning packet, $1.99 kids lunch @ Kmart, $49.50 @ Dollar Tree for Christmas gifts. That wasn't budgeted but I received an unexpected Pay Pal payment so I had an extra $44. A new Dollar Tree opened right up the road from our house so I thought I would knock out the N&N Christmas gifts while the store was well stocked. TOTAL = $52.12

SN 11/4 - Drove to church AM & PM. Fountain drink refill - $.89. TOTAL = $.89

M 11/5 - Fountain drink refill - $.89. I also bought 2 crock-pot cookbooks on Half.com. They were recommended in a MDC thread - $23.83, lunch @ Arby's with a coupon - $3.99. I was plumb out of cash so I put it on my PP debit card.

T 11/6 - DH gave me $5 for cutting his hair so I had non budget money! $1.65 bagel, $.89 fountain drink refill, $2.95 thrift store. TOTAL = $5.49 - $5.00 = $.49 A bunch of my Ebay auctions ended today and I made $68.78!

W 11/7 - $.89 fountain drink refill, $.35 Little Debbie snack for Abigail, $27.89 on the Debit Card @ Thrift Store I didn't plan on the Thrift store expense but on the flip side I got a bread machine that's in great condition, some new books for Abigail, and a bunch of big glass jars for dry food storage. TOTAL = $29.23

TH 11/8 - $.89 fountain drink refill, $.10 tootsie roll for Abigail, $17.00 at Kmart I have a cold and needed some relief. I got $10 cash back b/c I'm all out of cash. Kuddos to me for resisting the 75% off fall decor! TOTAL = $17.99

F 11/9
S 11/10
SN 11/11
M 11/12
T 11/13
W 11/14
TH 11/15
F 11/16
S 11/17
#85 of 1133 Old 11-01-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris' Mom View Post
Hi, I'm Iris' Mom, a single SAHM of 3 kids, age 17, 6 and 6 mos. Two years ago, I was a well-paid lawyer with a deadbeat husband. Then, I became disabled, and received private disability insurance until last month. I received my last payment 2 weeks ago, and now will be getting by on SSDI, which is 10% of my former salary. I took on my mortgage and most of my other debts when my income potential was much higher. I do have bipolar II, and in my hypomanic states, I tend to spend more than I should/need to.
Iris, I think this will be a great place for support! I know from personal experience that bipolar can be very hard and you seem to be doing great taking charge of your life. GO YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
To the person who asked how you budget for things like gifts or insurance premiums -- I follow Mary Hunt's "Freedom Account" method. (I recommend reading her book "Debt-Proof Living" -- I got a lot out of it, though I had to ignore the religious stuff).
That was me! I'll check it out! thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomom View Post
Hi! I'm Mysticpi,
I use Dave Ramsey's plan. First, we saved 1000 for emergency expenses. Now we put X amount on CC using his snowball method. The we take the rest and subtract all bills. The rest is our expendable income. I use Dave's budget categories (daveramsey.com) to allocate the rest.

I would love a link to a printable form of The Compact Objectives if you have it..

QUOTE]

Thanks leomom!

I'd like to learn about The Compact Objectives too!

Today's our first day....Keep that money in your wallet!!!! Go No-Spenders Go!!!
WOHOOO!!
#86 of 1133 Old 11-01-2007, 11:01 AM

I'm a WAHM mommy to a sweet two-year-old DD and another baby bean on the way this month.

We remortgaged our home, and it went through last month. Now we have a slightly higher monthly mortgage payment, but we own our car, have no CC debt and are student debt free (can I do a little dance? ) This was such a huge breakthrough for us, and I don't want to backslide. I want to save enough to stop working from home, as I'm a small business owner and I find it takes too much out of me emotionally. I want more time to sit on the floor and play with my kids.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month

I signed a Compact for the month of November, so I'm committing to not buying new (with the exception of food and safety items) and buying only what I need. Having a baby arrive this month could either really help or really hinder my plan. My partner in crime is decidedly NOT taking the plunge with me, but we both stick to a pretty lean budget anyhow. We try to spend cash only. I will plan on not eating out, as it's wasted money with the heartburn I have anyhow.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#87 of 1133 Old 11-01-2007, 11:14 AM

I just got back from a moms group thing at Starbucks and I DIDN'T BUY ANYTHING!

Go me!
#88 of 1133 Old 11-01-2007, 11:24 AM

We dropped DH off to work this am. Put $3.55 down to the eat out fund. Starting the month off fast.
#89 of 1133 Old 11-01-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavournin View Post
I just got back from a moms group thing at Starbucks and I DIDN'T BUY ANYTHING!

Go me!
Way to go! Mavournin

That's great.
#90 of 1133 Old 11-01-2007, 12:27 PM

Ashley, we are planning a move to the NH, VT border around Hanover/Norwich. Know anyone who wants a nice house?

Adding "races" and decreasing "food". :

GOALS:
Food from the grocery store: 0/$600
(4 trips at $150)
Eating out: 0/$150
Coffee: 0/$30
Coat for ds1: 0/$35
Long John's for me: ??
gas: 0/$250
personal spending on whatever: 0/$100
races (DH and me): $225

NO FAST FOOD!
NO BIG BOX STORES!

I plan to record all spending since it helps me. I tend to overspend on food, I guess, but it may just be that our prices are higher here. I don't know. I will only count no spend days as days that I spend nothing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page