November No-Spend Challenge ~ Come check in, it's time to get started saving money! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  17  ... Last
Frugality & Finances > November No-Spend Challenge ~ Come check in, it's time to get started saving money!
liangel's Avatar liangel 08:51 PM 11-02-2007
11/1- $16.73 on make up.
11/2- $9.15 some groceries.

momaste's Avatar momaste 09:22 PM 11-02-2007
I have had chronic back pain for years now, and just recently saw a podiatrist for what I thought was unrelated foot pain. He recommended orthopedic shoe inserts, but I'd put off buying them since they're a bit pricy.

Yesterday I was completely knocked out by back pain and saw my chiropractor, who asked why I hadn't gotten the inserts, since my foot pain is definitely related to my back pain apparently. So I spent almost $65 on plastic shoe inserts! :

DS and I had a very pleasant afternoon. We went over to the library and I skipped the Friends of the Library book sale room (painful!! good deals, ignored!) and checked out a book I need for school, so I don't have to buy it. Saved $24.95 plus tax! Yay! I checked out a pressure cooker cookbook and a train board book for DS, and we went over to the duck pond and read our books. Then the train came by and DS jumped up and down, excited, yelling "Choo choo chain! Choo choo chain!" until all the ducks scittered away, hehe.

We're having lentil-barley soup tonight as part of the pantry challenge, and it smells deelish. Plus, I didn't have to buy anything to make it.

NOVEMBER
1: Used $40 prepay at the chiropractor
2: Used $40 prepay at the chiropractor, spent $64.84 on orthopedic inserts for my shoes (and for DH) so I can hopefully avoid using more prepays at the chiropractor! Plus shipping swap stuff for $32.57 and $1.00 at the library to look up my card - stupid tax because I left it at home.
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:
11:
12:
13:
14:
15:
16:
17:
18:
19:
20:
21:
22:
23:
24:
25:
26:
27:
28:
29:
30:

Total Spent this month within budget: $97.47
Total Spent this month not in budget: $1.00

GOALS:
* Stay within budget!: 2/30
* Stay within grocery budget (includes Thanksgiving): $0/$300
* Less than $200 in frivolous spending: month to date $1
* At least 20 days (no spend or spending w/in budget): 2/30
* Pack school lunch every day: 0/8
* NO Big Box Stores: 2/30
* NO library fines: month to date $0

KEY:
True no spend
Spending within budget
: Spending outside budget
heatherdeg's Avatar heatherdeg 09:38 PM 11-02-2007
I'm off to a bad start.

11/2:

* Get back on my budget--which includes envelopes.
Haven't done ANYthing with this yet.

* Move fd's clothing stipend into an envelope, too... and STOP BUYING HER CLOTHES
Haven't put her money in cash in an envelope, but resisted buying today.

* Finish my holiday shopping list and stick to it--no "extra" cute stuff.
Haven't even made the shopping list.

* Sell at least 4 items from the house on eBay (at minimum, get them listed).
Currently 0/4

* Do a Pantry Challenge
Started the thread and never went back. It's my next stop.

* Start purging and organizing the house
Haven't done this, either.

* Print out the objectives of The Compact and put them on the bathroom mirror, the fridge and the car dashboard
Ugh... nope

PLUS: spent $$ on a cup of coffee yesterday AND today plus a donut yesterday that I not only shouldn't have spent money on, but shouldn't have had for health reasons.

:
leomom's Avatar leomom 09:41 PM 11-02-2007
1: Only budgeted spending, including holiday gifts and groceries
2:

* My plan is to stick to perimeter in grocery and only go once a week and use a list.
* Try to live by the mantra, "Less is more."
* Use only cash. Only use my debit card for gas. If I purchase something online I will go to bank FIRST and deposit the cash.
* Only buy things (things we need) that are on sale and a GREAT deal or cannot wait.! (Other than groceries)

Goals:

No un-budgeted spend days: 2/20
No grocery days: 1/24
Only cash days (debit card for gas): 2/28

KEY:
True no spend
Spending within budget
Spending outside budget
michelle524's Avatar michelle524 09:54 PM 11-02-2007
1/11 no drive days
0/17 no spend days
$3.93/$50 mad money (for coffees, lunches, etc.)
$33.49/$300 groceries
$24.45/$200 take out/restaurant
$0/$134.02 entertainment

11/1 - $24.45 on celebratory take-out
11/2 - $33.49 on groceries, all planned, $3.93 taco bell

I did the first 1/2 of my grocery shopping. I go to two different stores b/c of the sales/promotions and this trip earned me another $10 off coupon and a free turkey or ham. I got taco bell for lunch b/c ds was just miserable today with his teeth (for those of you following the saga, #5 is about to break the gum and #6-8 are not far behind), and I didn't get a moment to eat. I had to drive down to the office so I ate on the way there while he slept.

1/30 turn off computer
egrmamma3's Avatar egrmamma3 10:22 PM 11-02-2007
1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

I'm a SAHM of 3 kiddos...ages 3, 20mos and 8wks. This is my first time to post on a message board ever.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of November. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.

I want to do the no spend challenge for November because I can't remember the last month that I stuck to my budget!

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?

grocery shop 1 time per week only and try to spend no more than $100...our freezer is full.
always ask myself..."can I buy it used?" and "can I do it cheaper?"
dachshundqueen's Avatar dachshundqueen 10:31 PM 11-02-2007
$10 on lunch out w/toddler while waiting to find out if dachshund was paralyzed (he might recover without surgery which we can't afford) so I'm writing this day off as just a real crappy day :
spent money at the co-op on groceries for the month but didn't spend anything I shouldn't have yipeee

I've cooked dinner the last 5 out of 6 nights here so I'm on a roll there.......wooeee.........eating out is our killer.

liz
leomom's Avatar leomom 10:32 PM 11-02-2007
Welcome, egrmomma3!
Mom2Wilmo's Avatar Mom2Wilmo 10:45 PM 11-02-2007
Spent $66.22 at Barnes and Noble today :

$50 was from a gift card though and the other $16.22 my grandmother gave me a couple of weeks ago for Christmas presents. Which is what I spent it on. Still it wasn't "no spend."

I have to go to Costco tomorrow. I am afraid of that place. I always spend too much money there.

Must stay in budget.

Keep of the good work everyone else!
Hollysmom's Avatar Hollysmom 10:49 PM 11-02-2007
November 1 - No spend day
November 2 - about $12 in budgeted spending today.

$0/$400 Groceries (this is quite a bit less than we normally spend, but really want to eat out of the pantry/freezer this month)
$5/$50 for misc coffee, snacks, lunches out etc.
No spend 1/10
No restaurant/take-out 2/20
my2girlz's Avatar my2girlz 10:49 PM 11-02-2007
1. NO SPENDING DAY!! made $27
2. $45 at Target (snowpants, high socks, bday present, bread, milk) made $46

~1/10 NO SPENDING DAYS
~$0/$150 gas budget
~0/2 eating out
~$10/$350 grocery budget
~declutter 300 items 5/300 made $73
SugarAndSun's Avatar SugarAndSun 11:12 PM 11-02-2007
1st 3.50 on 2 coffees
2nd

Today was a true no spend day! Yay!

I think I will do the race. I only hesitate because these races are something we can drop a lot of money on. I skipped a few last month I would have done, but they still get expensive.

I think I will have to budget for diapers as well. We have been using cloth, but we are selling our house and I just can't risk having any smell so I am going to use sposies for a while.

------------------------------------------------------------------
GOALS:
Food from the grocery store: 0/$600
(4 trips at $150)
Eating out: 0/$150
Coffee: 3.50/$30
Coat for ds1: 0/$35
Long John's for me: ??
gas: 0/$250
personal spending on whatever: 0/$100
races (DH and me): $225
diapers: $60

NO FAST FOOD!
NO BIG BOX STORES!

KEY:
: True no spend
Spending within budget
: Spending outside budget[/quote]
mysticpi's Avatar mysticpi 11:32 PM 11-02-2007
1. me ( but my partner I wonder if I should be recording her expenses too?)

KEY:
True no spend
Spending within budget
Spending outside budget

- Keep track of what we spend this month.2/30 (but I still need to add to excell sheet)
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]- Keep groceries/household to 300$ 0/300
- Keep eating out to 100$ 99/100 uh oh... trouble...
- Pack lunches for myself and my partner 1/30
boogiemonster's Avatar boogiemonster 11:33 PM 11-02-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrmamma3 View Post
I'm a SAHM of 3 kiddos...ages 3, 20mos and 8wks. This is my first time to post on a message board ever.
Welcome!
boogiemonster's Avatar boogiemonster 11:37 PM 11-02-2007
1: : $60 going out for pity-me dinner
2: Spent $506 fixing brakes and getting oil changed, in the budget

My only consolation is it's Compact-friendly. But not so good that we've already spent that much in November. Man, we can really plow through it.

Oh, but I DID pack up some pbj sandwiches and a sliced apple for DD and I to have for breakfast while we dropped off the car, thus avoiding the need to eat total crap at McD's.
catchthewind's Avatar catchthewind 11:48 PM 11-02-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherdeg View Post
I'm off to a bad start.
At least you have some goals and know that you didn't start off like you hoped. That will hopefully help in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Wilmo View Post
I have to go to Costco tomorrow. I am afraid of that place. I always spend too much money there.
Me too. We once walked in for a box of chicken cordon bleu and walked out with $500 worth of shopping. Part of that included a new camera, but still. Now we only take cash to Costco, which makes a huge difference.
mamimapster's Avatar mamimapster 12:40 AM 11-03-2007
Nov 1- .60B for lunchbox,1.09 Chips,28.05B Gas.
Nov 2- 15.37B-Nat cleaning supplies, EO and "Mama Spa" goodies
Tally of Evil 1.09

GOALS(thanks to those with wise ideas!):

Do at least one better on all of these categories this month than last month:
1.At least 16 days: 2/30
2.Pack snacks/water for outings/School: 2/30
3.At least two no-car days per week 0/8
4.NO library fines: month to date 0
5. Come here lots
6.Make lists and stick to them
7. Avoid buying my sweets and bake more. 1/5-Did a ton of Shabbos cooking last night (Rasin Bread,Yogurt & Pumpkin Kugel).
8. earn at least 50.00 in sellables this month 0/50
9. tally of evil under 100

Acceptable spending:

Twin Sheets- Why did I give all of these away?? freecycle maybe?
Chanukah gift items (only a couple of small things, Chanukah is a minor holiday)
ONE totally functional pair of shoes. I bought and sold three pairs of shoes in October looking for one Black pair that fits with my orthotics and that I like the look of!(I'm REAAAAL picky, I want nice, new quality, comfortable hip-to-me shoes that fit with orthotics and cost less than 7.00
d&xmommy's Avatar d&xmommy 01:03 AM 11-03-2007
11/2

groceries and household 200/450
eating out 10/80
DH spending 10/50
Me and kids spending 25/100
Christmas gifts for all 24/200 -- I took out some of my vacation pay for this
Thanksgiving trip coming out of savings 0/250
No spend days 0/15
Pay aunt off 0/100
Gas 45/100
No Drive days 0/10

I just bought 2 weeks worth of groceries. They should last that long, I meal plan, with the exception of having to get more bread and milk.
kalisis's Avatar kalisis 01:24 AM 11-03-2007
Welcome to all the new members!

Today - $4.55 at Starbucks (it came out of the SB envelope though and I've decided to put all loose change in there). We went bowling with my parents and brother, but everyone else paid, so it was free for my family!

Looking forward to a good month.

I desperately want to buy a pair of pants at Sweetgrass - I have a 10% off coupon and I've lost so much weight since I left DH, I really could use a new pair. But, I could make do with something cheaper from a local store here, I think. I want them, not need them. So, I'm posting here to resist!
Erin+babyAndrew's Avatar Erin+babyAndrew 01:28 AM 11-03-2007
1. $70 eye doctor
annethcz's Avatar annethcz 01:29 AM 11-03-2007
My goals:
Lunch out with DH: 0/2
Stay within 15 miles of home: 1/24
No frivolous spending: 1/30
Track Grocery spending: $11.30
Track Eating out/take out spending: $37.85 for pizza tonight
Track gasoline spending: $0
Track spending/income on chickens: $2.02
mrskennedy's Avatar mrskennedy 01:40 AM 11-03-2007
01 spent $596.78 rent/water, $407 heating oil, $3.22 winter clothes for DS--thrift. made $23.40 writing and GPT, $64 from Mom
02 , saved $6.73 cell bill adjustment

Totals:
No spend: 1/30
Budgeted spending: 1/30
Unbudgeted, necessary spending: 0/30
Unbudgeted, unnecessary spending: 0/30
Made/saved $: 2/30

Budgeted extras:
Winter clothes for DS
Rug for DS's room
Christmas pics of DS
Pic frames
Presents: DS, DH, sis and BIL--if money allows
FamilyFriendlyLife's Avatar FamilyFriendlyLife 03:07 AM 11-03-2007
Nov. 1:
Nov. 2:

Second true no-spend day; November is off to a good start. Used up a bunch of stuff from the pantry today; DH particularly liked the green beans with almonds I made (the green beans started out pretty freezer burned as they were purchased probably 2 years ago; knew they would need something to make them anything approaching yummy). Going to a multi-family benefit yard sale tomorrow morning; will try to just shop from a list of the kids' needs.

Kim

GOALS:
* Less than $100 in frivolous spending: month to date $0
* At least 25 days (no spend or spending w/in budget): 2/30
* Avoid Target: 2/30
* Pack snacks/water for outings: 2/3O
* NO library fines: month to date $0
* Stay within grocery budget: $0/$430
CrunchyDoula's Avatar CrunchyDoula 03:17 AM 11-03-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post
1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of November. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?

My name is Jessica and I am wife and mother to our 15 month old dd, Lailah. I am a SAHM and getting ready to take the firefighter examinations coming up in the beginning of the new year. I am having an increasingly hard time staying home and am finding that I am spending more then I thought on a day to day basis.

I am here to try to spend less, because for the first time I tracked my spending for an entire month and it was waaay more then I thought. Now I know where about $500 seems to dissapear monthly. I want to start a savings account so we don't use anymore CC's. Our debt will ALL be paid off by February and I want my spending habits to be better before I fall into the same trap again.

My game plan is to try to plan our our days ahead of time so I don't find myself meandering around a store. I am going to attend play dates, go to the park and clean my house . Also when ever I do go into a store I am going to make a list and stick to it.

I do however have to finish up my Christmas shopping this month, so I will have some spending. But I do have lists for that. I am just going to keep in mind being free from debt!
mumkenna&lucas's Avatar mumkenna&lucas 03:38 AM 11-03-2007
Evil Cookie Lee party: Went to have a good time with some friends..walked out with 38.40 in jewelry, although they are Christmas presents:

11/1
11/2 38.40 Christmas gifts (@ Jewelry party)

Goals:
No spend days: 1/23
No DS, Etsy, DT: 2/27
Non-essential spending 38.40/$200
Save, Save, Save!
excitedtobeamom's Avatar excitedtobeamom 03:46 AM 11-03-2007
Nov.1-$13 on pizza (first time in 2 months-huge improvement!) and $65 on massage (gift) a bit of a splurge but in budget

Nov.2-groceries at Trader Joe's but nothing else

Goal-stick to budget with a very busy and hectic month coming up plus Christmas shopping
bornbythesea's Avatar bornbythesea 03:56 AM 11-03-2007
1. no spend
2. $3 on frozen yogurt (worth it!
BurgundyElephant's Avatar BurgundyElephant 04:31 AM 11-03-2007
Day One: Toy for DD for upcoming birthday - $5
.....started no spend challenge.....
Day Two: No spending! I also made dinner at home.
vivalamama's Avatar vivalamama 04:47 AM 11-03-2007
late meeting, i was hungry and tired, and i got sucked into the drivethru. i had snacks in the car but they weren't french fries did make more money selling some used diapers, i love craigslist.

Nov 1 : $499!!! fuel pump for car, $5 kiddie gym Made $$ selling used dipes
Nov 2 fast food Made $$ selling used dipes

The Plan:
Only ONE stock-up trip to Costco 0/1
Make a weekly meal plan and stick to the grocery list 0/4
Groceries once a week only ($75 or less, not incl weekly CSA) 0/4
Fill gas once a week only on grocery day 0/4
Record each purchase to track spending
Pack snacks and water every time we get in the car
Non-essential spending for me 4.70/$50
DD1 Birthday 0/$120
Give DH cash for the month for gasoline and fun money done
Make list of Christmas 'giftees' and create holiday budget.
netgyks's Avatar netgyks 11:55 AM 11-03-2007
Nov 1 - $87 unexpected vet bill, another follow up visit for our Simba :
Nov 1 - $279 cable bill, takes care of our past due

Nov 2 - no-spend day hooray!
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  17  ... Last

Up