November No-Spend Challenge ~ Come check in, it's time to get started saving money! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread is a support thread to help you ~not spend your money~. Everyone is welcome to join (we would love to have you) and you are welcome to start at any time. It doesn't have to be November 1st.

The plan is simple (although very tough to execute):

1. Vow not to spend any money on unnecessary purchases.

2. Come on here everyday and record your spending.

3. If you think that you absolutely MUST buy something, come on here and tell us about it first. Sometimes taking the time to come on here and post before you buy something will help you not buy it.

4. Provide encouragement for your fellow non-spenders and try to talk THEM out of buying things.

Good luck Ladies!! Let's have a strong November!!! Keep that money in your wallet.

ETA: Our no-spend threads tend to get very long...if you are new and considering joining us you don't need to read the entire thread (unless you want to). Just read the first three entries and jump right in. Start your no-spending today!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Some caveats...

*Groceries, utilities, clothing for you and your family, transportation...these things are necessary. You don't need to record things like that.

*Only YOU can determine what is necessary. We are a non-judgemental group.

*Record whatever will cause YOU to spend the least. If you feel guilty about coming on here and fessing up -- then this thread is working perfectly.

*Don't get discouraged if you spend -- our goal is PROGRESS not PERFECTION. We all will spend this month...let's admit that up front...Our ideal is no-spend...but we'll be happy if you just spend less.

Please don't take an all or nothing attitude. You will see progress if you stick with us...I promise you that.

*If you have time to read everyone else's post and do personals, hurray! That helps our thread do its job...but if you don't have time, then just post your tallies. We have plenty of successful no-spenders who do only that.

#3 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of November. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?

#4 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

1. My name is Prudence and I'm a SAHM with two daughters.

2a. Our mortgage is over 50% of our income. We bought a house that is too big for our budget. A mistake that we can rectify by living frugally, well within our means. This means watching every penny.

2b. Our not-large house is stuffed to the gills with stuff stuff stuff. I don't want to buy more stuff -- I want to pare down what I already have. And for me this means learning NOT to buy things just because I want them that instant. I want to learn to enjoy what we already have.

3. My game plan:

- Come on here and post everyday

- Carry precious little cash in my wallet...if I have to come home and get money to buy something, usually I change my mind and don't buy it

- Stay O*F*F the internet shopping websites diaperswappers and ebay

- Drive the car less. Gas = money. I tend to forget that and I want to stay conscious of this.

Goal to beat my previous records:

May= 19 no-spend days and $265 frittered away
June = 19 no-spend days and $394 in frivolous spending
July = 15 no-spend days and $580 in frivolous spending
August = 19 no-spend days and $451 in frivolous spending
September = 22 no-spend days and $103 in frivolous spending
October = 20 no-spend days and $203 in frivolous spending

#5 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 03:37 PM

Thanks for starting this once again Prudence!

1. I am Michelle, a WAHM (most of the time) to one son.

2. The amount of stuff we have is sickening to me, so we cannot get more. We eat WAY too much take out, I drink WAY too much coffee (in and out of the house) and I spend on convenience stuff WAY too much. I want to sell this house and buy a new one, but it will be in a more expensive area so we have to save!

3. The Plan: When I leave the house, I spend money. I can't seem to go out without buying a coffee, even if I've made some at home for the road. So, I have to stay in as many days as possible.

I've created a budget for the first time, instead of just recording spending.

I plan to eat from the freezer/pantry as much as possible to minimize the grocery/takeout bill. I need to bring food/coffee to work, and lots of it.

Specific Goals:
11 no drive days
17 no spend days
$50 mad money (for coffees, lunches, etc.)
$300 groceries
$200 take out/restaurant
$134.02 entertainment (trying to create a zero balance budget, hence the $.02)

The $200 take out is high if we only get food out once per week and the entertainment budget is just to make us feel like we have money to go out. With a 10 month old, we don't go out anyway, so hopefully the extra $ will be saved or used for Christmas and DS' bday.

Our budget has NO room this month - if we spend above these, it goes on CC or out of savings, what very very little we have left.

sorry so long...
good luck everyone!!!!
#6 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 03:38 PM

forgot to sub.
#7 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 04:08 PM

1. I am Emily mom to Jackson, 17 months. I just found out i am pregnant with #2 and we are thrilled! I'm a part time nurse

2. I am here because we got ourselves in to a BIG hole over the summer and early fall, DH gets paid on Halloween and then we should be totally caught up on all the bills. But, we don't want to fall into that trap again, and we need to save money for the baby and all that comes with it!

3. My Plan;

DH and i sat down yesterday and made out a budget, giving a line to everything. so I have $250 a month extra for myself including gasoline and $400 for groceries a month (DH has $340/a month b/c he uses twice the gasoline i do) and we have a joint $150 entertainment budget
My goals are:
$75/week grocery 0/4
only fill up the tank 1/week 0/4
pack lunch everyday for everyone 0/48
less than $10 spent eating lunch out
once a week with my son 0/4

Good luck everyone!
#8 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post
1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.
LuAnn, SAHM/WAHM/student mama to almost 8MO DS, wife to DH, veteran challenge member and very low income...

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of November. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.
Nothing left to spend. What's left has to be saved for the oil bills, tuition, savings, and DS--though we don't have enough left for all of them, that's the ideal.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?
No unnecessary spending.
Utilities, rent, groceries, tuition, fuel oil, DH's $60, and DS's rug, pics and Winter clothes for sure, + savings for upcoming oil and EF.
Christmas present for DS, DH, sis and BIL, and friend if money allows.
#9 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 04:22 PM

Hello fellow no spenders. This is my first time here and I really hope it helps. I honestly just don't know where my money goes sometimes. I work part time as a nurse, and Dh works full time, but we haven't been able to save anything. DH and I don't go out that much (with a toddler) and don't really live an extravagant lifestyle by any means, we just have gotten used to being pretty relaxed with our money and it really needs to stop.

What motivates this change is the fact that we do not own a house, nor are we able to come close to putting a down a payment. We live in an area where housing and rental prices are hopelessly inflated, but I love it here, so we would like to try and stay. My dream is to own a small house with a back yard for our 21 month old son to run and play in. Right now we are in a city apartment and have no backyard for him. If I save like crazy for 1 year, we may have a shot. It may take 2 years.

I spend a lot on groceries. I am committed to continuing to shop at our coop, which is a bit pricey, but always organic and worker owned, etc. I just need to focus on more bulk food, less packaged food. And overall cooking simple meals from scratch. But I did join a CSA, and that, I hope will be inspiring me to cook more.
Ok, and another thing. The on-line shopping habit NEEDS to stop. No more hyena cart: No more gymboree : No more pricey waldorf toy shops :

And I cannot shop with my mom or my best friend anymore! They encourage me to spend!

Thanks for the support
#10 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Banned

This is my first time here.

Quote:
My name is Crystal, momma to 4yoDD, partnered for almost 3 years, newly pregnant and due June 08. We live in a small 2BR apt that is stuffed to the gills with crap. We make enough money to survive, in theory, yet somehow barely seem to be actually surviving. We alternate which bills to pay which month depending on what is being threatened to get shut off. We have significant debt and past bills that we are simply ignoring. :

Quote:
a- we need to survive paying our most basic bills, and then
b- we need to start climbing out of our hole, and then
c- we need to start taking on our ignored debts, one at a time.

Quote:
*sigh* I'm the spender in our family. I'm heavily depressed and currently unmedicated, and my "feel good" is to spend. I feel like I need to have little treats, that I deserve them. I buy books, go out to lunch, get fancy schmancy coffee, that sort of thing. Books are really the only THING That I buy, the rest is more experience-spending. Lots of eating out.

And now I'm pg, so when I want Indian buffet, I want it NOW!!
#11 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 04:42 PM

1. I'm frog. I live with my partner, turtle, and our passel of cats. Currently, I am the sole breadwinner.

2. I am the sole breadwinner, and it's not really enough for us to play as much as we like to play.

• Pack lunches every work day
  • Pack food for trip to meet new niece
  • Trade for or make as many holiday gifts as possible
#12 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 04:54 PM

Hi everyone!! I definitely lurk around on this thread a lot but I figure I would actually post this month. I am currently working PT from home and am pregnant with my first child. My fiance does tree removal and works full time (between 30 and 40 hours a week depending). We currently live with my parents while we wait for our boss to figure out where our permanent office is going to be, then we will move as close as possible to the office, even though I work almost totally from home.

We are spending 700-800 a month on gas right now (just for DF to get to work) but since we don't pay rent/utilities/food it balances out. We just need to stick to our budget to try and have a little in savings and to be able to start buying stuff for this baby, like diapers. DF gets only cash (no cards) because he can't be trusted to not do stupid things, since I have no car during the day I just need to stay out of online stores!!!!! DF gets 150 a week for gas and 25 for whatever. Sometimes he does stupid things and needs a little more but we are working on that. Sorry this got really long... my goals for this month:

Keep DF under 200 a week cash: 0/4
Eat at home: 0/28
No online shopping: 0/30

I think that is it for this month... at the end of every month we move anything over 200 into the savings account... I would like there to actually be something to move this month!!!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#13 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My goals for this month-

eat out no more than once a week- 0/4

write up the dinner menu and grocery list every week- 0/4

Cancelled our World of Warcraft accounts, saving us $30 a month!
#14 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 05:05 PM

I have had my eye on these threads for awhile and I am now ready for the challange! Thanks : )

I am Grace, I work out of my home as a professional photographer, but am on maternity leave until January. We just had our 4th baby on Saturday. I have 3 older children who are 7, 5, & 2.5.

We desperatly want to move into a larger home that will have more room for our family as well as a seperate working area for me. We can TOTALLY do this if we stop wasting our money on little things. We make plenty of money but never seem to save any. Specific goals - to have $500 in savings every month to go towards a downpayment on a new house.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month? Lower grocery bill, lower eating out bill, put together a budget and do NOT buy anything outside of the budget.

Grace - photographer, wife and mom to 4 great kids (Ethan 5.00, Ainsley 4.02, Owen 12.04, and Ellis Ann 10.07) :
#15 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 05:16 PM

Hi! I'm Mysticpi, not a momma yet but hoping to save some $$ to help TTC in about a year!!

I'd like to save some money so that my partner and I afford to buy some spermies!! We also would like to save for a downpayment on a house for when we do have the kiddos.

Also, I know that we should be able to save every month but the money somehow disappears... hmmm... I need to keep track!

QUESTION: I am wondering how you guys budget savings into your budget. Should I just say all extra $ goes to savings or should I set an amount and give myself some wiggle room for error? (and how much wiggle room?)

oh, and ANOTHER QUESTION. How do you keep track of expenses that don't happen every month? Take clothes or gifts for instance when some months I may not spend any and others overspend.

3.My plan for the month

- Keep track of what we spend this month. I've revised our budget and am committing to actually use my excel sheet to write down expenses (I usually give up after a few days!)

- Keep groceries/household to 300$--I need to figure out why we spend so much money on food/household stuff since we don't eat meat and I eat two meals a day at work.

- Keep eating out to 100$

- Pack lunches for myself and my partner
#16 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
1. My name is Heather. I'm a SAHM to ds (3yo) and currently only one foster child (3mo fd). We live in NJ--the NYC burbs where it's very expensive for EVERYTHING.

2. We just paid off every debt we had except the mortgage in June. Now we're taking on approximately $28,000 for house renovations (including replacing all of our lead-covered windows). We can't take it out in a HEL/oC because it puts us in a very uncomfortable position with the equity in our home... and that's okay. But I want this debt paid off asap.

I don't really spend a whole lot unplanned and unnecessary. But I have to get back into the swing of things with managing our money. I went on strike in late July and haven't touched anything since. Thankfully, everything's on auto-pay and I took care of the few things that weren't, but seriously--I haven't tracked my budget in 3 months. If you knew me IRL, your jaw would be on the floor hearing that.

Like happyhippiemomma, I have a "feel good" rush from spending. I just went a month unmedicated for my insulin disorder so they could run some tests on me. The insulin problem IS my depression problem (it's a chemical imbalance) so I'm only now starting to get back on my feet mentally. I need to really get it together in alot of ways--not just money.

3. My plan...

* Get back on my budget--which includes envelopes.

* Move fd's clothing stipend into an envelope, too... and STOP BUYING HER CLOTHES and trying to use the excuse that I have to use up her money (because I have undoubtedly outspent her money)!!

* Finish my holiday shopping list and stick to it--no "extra" cute stuff.

* Sell at least 4 items from the house on eBay (at minimum, get them listed).

* Do a Pantry Challenge (off to start a thread for that if there isn't one)

* Start purging and organizing the house--because there is PLENTY of untapped and unused stuff that I'm going to need in the next few months... if... I... could... juuuust.... FIND THEM!

* Print out the objectives of The Compact and put them on the bathroom mirror, the fridge and the car dashboard.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#17 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 05:26 PM

Hi everyone, I'm Dana SAHM to two - ds (5) and dd (2). Right now we have no budget and really no idea how much we spend a month. I have gone crazy lately with internet shopping: We have SO much stuff and the kids closets are packed with clothes - I just need to stop.

I decided to do this challenge because we moved to a new state this summer and we plan on redoing pretty much every room in our house. If I keep up my shopping we won't be able to afford this. We also need a budget and to start saving regularly. DH really doesn't spend too much. He eats out for lunch quite a bit and has a bit of a commute, but other than that his only purchases our for our projects.

My plan is no internet shopping (w/ one exception. I've picked out my neices christmas presents and I'm waiting for a sale. But I have a gift card which should cover most of the cost).

Buy no clothes for the kids or I - no matter how good a deal something is.

No co-ops, or diaperswappers, or hyenacart.

15 no spend days.

Oh, and follow WW at least 20 days in November. I paid for a 3 month membership and rarely count points

Adding tallies - after checking others posts:
No credit card use 0/29 (1 day needed to finish christmas shopping)
No paypal use 0/28 (need to pay shipping for oct coops)
no spend days 0/15
no clothing shoes bought for kids and I 0/30
followed ww 0/20
#18 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 05:27 PM

mysticpi, those swimmers aren't cheap. turtle and I have been down that road, as well. PM me if you want to talk.
#19 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpi View Post

QUESTION: I am wondering how you guys budget savings into your budget. Should I just say all extra $ goes to savings or should I set an amount and give myself some wiggle room for error? (and how much wiggle room?)

oh, and ANOTHER QUESTION. How do you keep track of expenses that don't happen every month? Take clothes or gifts for instance when some months I may not spend any and others overspend.
When we had money, all extra went to savings. I'd pay the bills, see what was left in the checking account and transfer all but the spending money we'd need until next payday into savings.

This is only my first month with a budget, so I haven't figured out how to do extras. What I did this month was list all the necessities and the amounts for them, then divide the remainder into the more "flexible" categories (entertainment, eating out). So, if I needed to buy shoes this month, I guess I'd give myself an amount to spend and then lower one of my extras. Or I'd buy it with my mad money, if that was feasible.
#20 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
My name is Grace, I'm a university grant specialist in Austin, TX. Live w/ my partner and our pack/pride (currently at 2 dogs, 3 cats).

Quote:
I am trying to pay down debt, while at the same time taking on a greater share of my partner's and my joint expenses. November is going to be a particularly tough month, due to Christmas shopping and paying for plane tickets, as well as paying for the vacation we're taking at Thanksgiving. It's going to be important not to spend any more than necessary.

Quote:
Last month, I cut up my old credit cards and transferred everything to a new 0% card. I now only have two active cards--the 0% one, and my oldest ever one, which is tied to my checking acct. for overdraft protection. I don't plan to use either card for anything EXCEPT plane tickets in November. I also plan to stockpile as many Christmas gifts as I can from thrift stores (I've started this already), and to give myself a cash allowance at the beginning of the month for all frivilous spending and stick to it. I haven't decided yet how much that allowance should be, though.
#21 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
My name is kathirynne. I am a single mumma to 4 children. I work as a secretary in a little law firm. We are not destitute, but money is always very tight.

Quote:
We live in Montana, home of looooong, cooooold winters, and I need to save money to buy new quilts and comforters for our beds (the old ones are, well, old), so the belts they are a tightenin'.

ETA: I also have to find some way to put a present under the tree for each child and fill their stockings.

Quote:
I have written out a budget that is workable on paper. My children don't need anything (aside from the aforementioned quilts and comforters) so there's no reason to deviate from November's budget.

I have wrapped a catalogue photo of a really cozy-looking comforter around my chequebook. Every time I go to write a cheque, I will have to look at the comforter, and ask myself whether what I am considering spending money on is more important than warm beds this winter. (And future winters, as well.)

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#22 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 05:57 PM

Hi, I'm isosmom, mama to 2, very soon to be 3. For the past 3.5 years I have been the main breadwinner and have just left on maternity leave. My income has decreased significantly, but I still receive some thanks to disability. Dh is finishing up college and will be done (finally) late December.

I would love to not have to stress about money. I have been worried lately. We were doing great over the summer, then our car got stolen, we had to buy a new one and it got us in the hole. Since then, we've been trying to save for baby and leave and pay off car debt ($2,000). My goal is to continue (slowly) saving money so I can stay home a bit longer with the new babe and paying off car debt.

I have recently stocked up the kitchen so I'm reallly hoping to eat what we have. With a newborn I'm going to really depend on what I've packed the freezer and pantry with. With any extra money that is not alloted for bills and rent I'm hoping to save half and use the other half to pay off debt. Don't know how much that will be until I know how much I'm getting from disability combined with dh's paycheck.
I know I have a few big things I have to pay for this month, ds's preschool payment for the winter is due and I'll have my copay for the birth, so that total should be around $550.

Mama to 3:
#23 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 06:13 PM

I'm a SAHM to two young girls (ages 3 and 1) and I also have total control of our budget (DF is self-admittedly terrible with money), so it's all on my shoulders to make sure we spend our money responsibly. A chore I welcome and also stress over. I'm also completely obsessed with wedding planning!

In the longer range we have alot of debt to dig ourselves out from under from some terrible choices DF made in his past. We want to drastically improve DF's credit and buy a home some day.

In the shorter term we want to be able to make all of our ends meet on one salary while shovelling as much $$ as we can in to the debt while simultaneously saivng for our Summer (or Fall) 2008 wedding. (Fun, fun!)

I also want to just break free of my (our?) need for material posessions. For shopping and buying stuff. For accumulating stuff-- most of it stuff we don't need. Stuff I think will make me happy, but doesn't (nor should it). I want to stop spending so much not only to help save money, but also to break the cycle of, well, spending so damn much and accumulating things we don't need and deep down, really don't want. In my core I am a minimalist. I love to throw things away, donate things, sell things. I don't know why I keep gathering things, as well. I need to break free from the idea that owning things = security and success.

My goals are:

1. Have 20 no-spend days.
2. To keep our grocery and household items budget under $525.
3. For the month, no toys or clothes for the girls.
4. Spend NO money on the credit card.
5. $315 personal spending on anything I wish (most of this is leftover birthday money and will be spent on clothing for me).

I also have more abstract goals of replacing things we use/buy with cheaper, more earth-friendly options, finding more things for our family to do that don't cost money, eat out less and drive less.

September was my first month of the no-spend challenge and I'm SO excited about going through it all again with you all for the third time in November!

Copying this idea from Prudence:
September: 17 no spend days and $365.75 in frivolous spending
October: 23 no spend days and $251.00 in frivolous spending
#24 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 06:30 PM

I am a new mom to a gorgeous four month old boy. My husband has a short commute to his job and I work out of the home. This results in considerable savings in gas, however I find a way to spend from my computer, usually ebay and diaperswappers.

Since I was put on bed rest just prior to DS's birth, I have not adhered to our budget. Not that I ever do very strictly, another reason why I'm here, but some of the bills fell by the wayside and now I have three months worth of water bills plus the penalties to pay and some other utilities are the same too. If I take this challenge for the next two months and am successful, our finances will be back on track, we will stop " just getting by" and focus on paying down our debt in 2008.

I must stick to my budget! This means:
  • No dining out
  • No ebay, half.com or diaperswappers
  • Ensuring that all the bills are paid
  • Not caving in to Christmas commercialism
  • Making gifts from the heart for our family
  • No more baby clothes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Additionally, we either need to work our $100 a month cable bill down or give up our monthly subscription for FFXI. :
#25 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 06:45 PM

I'm back ladies - I missed you all last month!

So, my finances have DRASTICALLY changed since my first month here. I'm now a single mother and I see myself fighting a loooooong custody battle.

We're currently living with my parents, so groceries and basic housing is covered. I also have their cc that I can put things on, but am trying to use that for only emergencies or household stuff.

My goals:

* $20 total for Starbucks for the month (I can spend this any way I want).
* 5 online purchases total (including coops!)
* */15 no spend days
* NO clothing - no one needs anything!

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#26 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 07:08 PM

i'm sarah, SAHM to dd(2).

i need to save because we just make enough to pay our bills (our mortgage is also over 50% of our income since i SAHM). i also want to speed up paying off my student loan and save for some things dd wants.

my plan is to track grooceries as well as non-essentials because: we eat organic, i tend to buy stuff on sale, and i eat when stressed so i add to our grocery bill buying unnecessary food.

frugal plan:

groceries/pets 0/600
no drive days 0/10
work on homemade x-mas presents
go to ap/crunchy/homeschool playgroups within 30 minutes of our house
continue hang/rack drying clothes
keep a/c and heat off as much as possible right now
stick to grocery list and use cash!
finally make some family cloth (this has been on the list since july)
eat less
donate or sell extra stuff
do better than last month!

sarah
#27 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 07:36 PM

Mamamilkers... your DF sounds just like man!!! Bad/no credit... bad with money... yup!! At least they let us deal with it instead of being prideful and making the situation worse...

Goals:
Keep DF at under 200 cash a week: 0/4
Eat at home: 0/28
No online shopping: 0/30
No spend days: 0/25

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#28 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
1. My name is Jana. I recently became a SAHM, DD 3.5 and twins 6 months. Often to get out of the house and cure boredom, we'll hit the mall or Target. Resulting spending has gotten out of control. If this place doesn't work, my next step is to pull my weekly alotment of cash for groceries, gas, gifts, etc and when it's gone, it's gone.

2. First goal is to control my spending. Once I start seeing an improvement, we want to save more (next home, kids college, etc) and put more toward student loans. Hope to have DHs student loan paid off by 4/08, then we'll double up on my payments.

3. Game plan:
* My "spending" will come from eBay and TP sales. This is my fun money and will also help with Christmas gifts.
* Spend less than $50 a trip at Target. Sounds like a lot I know, but my average is generally over $100. Must haves ONLY. What IS it about that place??!!
* Starbucks, oh my Starbucks. Can't go cold turkey, goal is 1 trip a week and drink only, no sweets or treats.
* Meal plan and stick to it.
* Try a waiting period for purchases.
* Bake more at home, no quick trips to the grocery for desserts.
* Cut grocery bill, averages $110, want it closer to $80.
* Use current scrapbook stash first. No paper or embellishment purchases. Only supplies to spend $$ on are adhesives.

NOVEMBER GOALS:
* Grocery trip $90 or less x4
* 20 No Spend Days 0/20.
* Starbucks: 0/1 (4 trips in November)
* Target Trips less than $50: 0/4
* No Drive Days: 0/15
#29 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathirynne View Post
I have wrapped a catalogue photo of a really cozy-looking comforter around my chequebook. Every time I go to write a cheque, I will have to look at the comforter, and ask myself whether what I am considering spending money on is more important than warm beds this winter. (And future winters, as well.)
Good idea!!!

I should do that too because we need a down comforter (Vermont can't compete with Montana...but our winters are pretty hardcore too)

#30 of 1133 Old 10-30-2007, 09:44 PM

1. I am due to have our first child in a few weeks (Nov 14th due date). I am leaving my great paying job that is half our income to stay at home with our baby. I am really excited about this, but our budget is changing drastically. Actually it is the first time we will even really have a budget.

2. I really want to be able to watch our money so that me staying at home doesn't cause us financial problem. I stop working Nov 2.

3. I don't know how easy this is going to be, at least for this month considering my life is about to change drastically. I have tried to cook and freeze some meals to have on hand after the baby arrives.

Before the baby gets here my goals are:
eat out 1 time per week max
make lunch for my husband so he won't eat out
set up our budget so we have a plan
don't buy any more baby items - (other than the car seat which we haven't gotten yet)
try to use up items in my pantry and freeze more food for later

After the baby gets here my goals are:
Survive! I will have to play this by ear. Hopefully I will be too involved with the baby and staying at home and won't be spending any extra money.

Mama to Kage (12/07) and Ember (6/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page