Anyone up for a Pantry Challenge in November? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 313 Old 11-02-2007, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yep, stroganoff is delish, and you can put tons of sour cream in it. Or mix the sour cream with a packet of dry soup mix and a teaspoon of lemon juice/ACV, and you have dip. Or make a big cheesy potato bake.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 313 Old 11-02-2007, 02:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to be in too. I need to be really frugal at the grocery store this month. I also need recipe advice for a ton of dried pinto beans I have hanging around.
#63 of 313 Old 11-02-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
Mystery ingredient number two for me: 6 cans of vegetarian baked beans.
Hillbilly Housewife has a recipe on her website called Cowgirl Beans that uses baked beans. DD#1 and I LOVE it ... dh, not so much.

Quote:
ladies - I need ideas for using up a ton of sour cream. I got it on sale a while back, and we're just not eating it as quick as I thought we would.
My fave recipe that calls for sour cream is called Quick Fiesta Casserole (or something like that ....). You heat up a couple cans of black beans (or a pound of prepared dried beans) with a cup or 2 of salsa (I eyeball it 'til it looks right), a couple tablespoons of taco sauce (I leave this out if I don't have any), and a couple teaspoons each of cumin, chili powder and garlic powder -- to taste, of course. In a rectangular baking dish, layer some tortilla chips. Spread the bean mixture evenly on top. Spread 8 oz. of sour cream over the beans (I use more ... I LOVE sour cream ). Sprinkle shredded cheese over the sour cream. Sprinkle some chopped green onions and tomatoes on top of the whole thing. Bake until the cheese is good and melted. DH is a confirmed carnivore and LOVES this -- hasn't once asked me where the meat is! LOL

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#64 of 313 Old 11-02-2007, 08:49 AM

Thanks for all of the baked bean tips! I am excited to try them all, since I have so much... I especially like the crock pot idea, as I really need to break that out for the winter.

I have a tip for sour cream too. Mix it into almost any rice and beans dish, and it makes it into absolutely the best creamy yumminess ever. I actually made this a couple of days ago.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#65 of 313 Old 11-02-2007, 10:13 AM

Last night, we had fajitas. Used a random sirloin steak out of the freezer, plus some refried beans, and lots of our peppers (out of the garden).
#66 of 313 Old 11-02-2007, 02:32 PM

I'm in! Especially since I have exactly $47.55 for groceries for November.

Tonight, we are having sausage, potatoes and cabbage. Potatoes are reallly cheap now. Yumm.

A quick trick I discovered: homemade hot cocoa. It isn't exactly like the packet kind, but I like it. I add about a T cocoa powder, a T sugar, 1.5 c water, and a big splash of whatever milk if it's available. (This works for me, since I had 2 big things each of cocoa and sugar in the cupboards.)

I had leftover gravy with no meat to go with it, so I dipped bread in the gravy and that was lunch. It was pretty yummy actually.

I think tomorrow will be a finish up all the little leftovers in the fridge day. Just think of it as a potluck...

Trick: If you have any leftover Halloween candy, put it in a bag and have someone (a family member or a friend who stops by) hide it somewhere you won't see it all the time - then you'll have a treat later in the month.
#67 of 313 Old 11-02-2007, 02:38 PM

I broke out a bag of gluten free baking mix that I bought ages ago and made pancakes for breakfast. They were actually really good! There is plenty of mix left for the weekend too. I hadn't used them as I was skeptical that ingredients would make something edible Feels good to get some use out of it!

Tonight I'm making a massive pot of our favorite soup. I'm making Potato Kale soup w/ chicken apple sausage. It starts with garlic, onions/leeks, potatoes, carrots (from our CSA) and chicken broth (bought on sale), then after that mixture is cooked down and pureed, you add seasonings, chopped kale and sausage. The ultimate cool weather comfort food at our house and it is super cheap to make! I've been looking forward to it all week

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#68 of 313 Old 11-02-2007, 03:01 PM

tonight we're having turkey helper {hamburger helper made with ground turkey} with canned veggies & texas toast. Oh and juice - but we go thru that likie water so I'm not counting it.

3 items out of the freezer.

ETA: Frozen broccoli included - so up that to 4 items out of the freezer!
#69 of 313 Old 11-02-2007, 03:11 PM

Here's my use-it-up menu for the week (items in bold are things I'm trying to use up):

Lentil-barley soup with kale

Vietnamese sticy tofu with daikon and carrot pickles, coconut brown rice (I'm crazy excited about this recipe!)

Clam-corn chowder with leeks and new potatoes

Unstuffed cabbage with brown rice (home made frozen meal)

Chicken with Mojito sauce, cumin new potatoes, green beans

Salmon cakes, couscous, spinach, peaches

I am picking up my CSA box on Saturday, but they list the veggies in each box the day before so I've already planned around what I'm gettings (like the daikon, leeks, and spinach.) We have fresh veggies in the fridge from the past two weeks' boxes that I haven't used, so there are some fresh veggies that are screaming to be used, like carrots and new potatoes

I am going to use soy milk this week so we don't have to buy any milk. I'll need just 18 eggs for this week's groceries - for a total of just $3.99. YAY!!!
#70 of 313 Old 11-02-2007, 04:21 PM

Ok, so I had leftover soup for lunch today! Yay! I am so glad to see a bit of a dent in the can section of my pantry!!!

Here's another use-it-up ingredient that I am stumped. I have 8 cans of tuna that have been sitting there for quite a while. I do eat tuna salad occasionally, but WIC sends me four cans a month, and I just don't eat that much tuna salad. Anyone have a recipe for tuna? Preferably that involves baked beans.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#71 of 313 Old 11-02-2007, 04:42 PM

How about tuna cakes, lightly fried? Or tuna noodle casserole? Or tuna stuffed tomatoes?
#72 of 313 Old 11-02-2007, 04:43 PM

I make this Moroccan salmon cake recipe that could be made with tuna. It's deeelish.
#73 of 313 Old 11-02-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I do eat tuna salad occasionally, but WIC sends me four cans a month, and I just don't eat that much tuna salad. Anyone have a recipe for tuna? Preferably that involves baked beans.
I do a microwave tuna casserole (tuna, noodles, mayo, mustard, dill, thyme, zucchini, tomatoes, cheese, salt, pepper and maybe something else - very yummy, and reheats well, too!). Or our latest MO is to make a tuna "salad" to use in sandwiches. Grilled or not. Tuna, miracle whip, and a generous spoonful or three of my homemade relish.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#74 of 313 Old 11-02-2007, 04:55 PM

Momaste, that Moroccan Salmon Cake looks yummy! I have lots of salmon, no couscous though. Do you think rice would work instead? I can't remember what couscous is exactly.

Lindsay - DD1, born posterior and chin up at home, Aug 2007
DD2, born at home in the water, March 2010
#75 of 313 Old 11-02-2007, 05:12 PM

Couscous is pasta in a tiny grain form. Yummy. It would work with cooked rice instead, sure.

So, I have canned clams and canned crab and canned salmon. Could I put all three together for a seafood chowder, or would the flavors not mesh well? I'm also adding corn, potatoes, and leeks to the chowder.
#76 of 313 Old 11-02-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
Whoever it was looking for something to get rid of baked beans I have an idea for you. I once tried this crockpot recipe that I thought sounded insane, but it was SO good that I have made it a few times. It was turkey legs (super cheap this time of year), cubed sweet potatoes, canned baked beans, some chopped onion, a little bit of tomato sauce and brown sugar. Oh and a sprinkle of ground cloves. I don't remember the exact amounts but it was super frugal and really good! I made it to use up some turkey legs and baked beans that I had sitting around. I have a big freezer bag of homemade baked beans, which is making me think that I should get some turkey legs with my very small amount of grocery money (only $50 until payday in 2 weeks).
Ok, so right now I have a version of this in my crockpot. I didn't have turkey legs, but I did have frozen turkey burgers, so I broke 4 of them up and fried the ground turkey before putting it in the pot.

I also didn't have fresh sweet potatoes, but I did have a big can of candied yams. I figured that would replace the brown sugar too. I also used tons of garlic instead of onion, but I prefer garlic anyway.

I skipped the tomato sauce, but my beans had quite a bit of tomato sauce, so hopefully that works. I don't have any clove though. I hope it's not crucial. Oh, and I added a small can of sliced mushrooms. I really don't like mushrooms, but it is a small can, and I am hoping that I barely notice them.

I have to admit, it does look strange in the pot... It smells good though. We will see!! At least it was 4 cans out of my cupboard that had been there for nearly a year!

#77 of 313 Old 11-02-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaste View Post
Couscous is pasta in a tiny grain form. Yummy. It would work with cooked rice instead, sure.

So, I have canned clams and canned crab and canned salmon. Could I put all three together for a seafood chowder, or would the flavors not mesh well? I'm also adding corn, potatoes, and leeks to the chowder.
That sounds absolutely delicious! Can I come to your house for dinner??:

Also, would orzo work in the place of couscous?

#78 of 313 Old 11-02-2007, 06:06 PM

Oh I am in this month for sure!! We are moving soon so I want to clear out my pantry/freezer so we don't have to lug it with us and can start with fresh stuff at our new place. I'll be back as soon as I get a minute to do an inventory!
#79 of 313 Old 11-02-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Ok, so right now I have a version of this in my crockpot. I didn't have turkey legs, but I did have frozen turkey burgers, so I broke 4 of them up and fried the ground turkey before putting it in the pot.

I also didn't have fresh sweet potatoes, but I did have a big can of candied yams. I figured that would replace the brown sugar too. I also used tons of garlic instead of onion, but I prefer garlic anyway.

I skipped the tomato sauce, but my beans had quite a bit of tomato sauce, so hopefully that works. I don't have any clove though. I hope it's not crucial. Oh, and I added a small can of sliced mushrooms. I really don't like mushrooms, but it is a small can, and I am hoping that I barely notice them.

I have to admit, it does look strange in the pot... It smells good though. We will see!! At least it was 4 cans out of my cupboard that had been there for nearly a year!
I've made many awesome crockpot creations like that I can never recreate them exactly of course, cause I can't remember what all went in it! I'm pregnant so I have odd tastebuds, so the candied yams and mushrooms are throwing me for a loop Just remember to taste it and see if it needs anything while its still cooking. Thats how I figured out my turkey legs/yams/beans combo needed some cloves to make it just right. I hope your dinner is great, sounds like you got lots of stuff used up!

~Rebecca~

#80 of 313 Old 11-02-2007, 07:17 PM

Ok, I'm finally going to add my list of current meals that are using up our pantry goodies. I bought a few things at the store to help round out these meals, and stayed right on budget ($50 for weeks).

Dinners (most meals should have large amount leftovers):
Potato, kale and sausage soup (w/ chicken broth, leeks and garlic)
Crockpot turkey legs w/ sweet potatoes and homemade baked beans from the freezer
Chicken legs w/ saffron rice and peas
Quinoa tabbouleh salad (w/ parsley and tomatoes)
Southwestern Red Lentil soup w/roasted corn
Crockpot roast beef w/ root veggies and maple baked squash

Other items:
Cranberry muffins
Apple sauce from our mountains of CSA apples
use up gluten free baking mixes for breakfasts

I've got 4 big pie pumpkins that I need to do something with next week. I think I'm going to cook up the pulp and freeze in foodsaver bags for stews, soups and pie. Of course the seeds will be roasted for snacks

Things like our soups, muffins, applesauce etc will be feeding our freezer as well as getting things used up. One of my goals this month besides using up random items is to make use of what I have into homemade fast food. We have no money for eating out and we have major food allergies. It gets hard to have the energy for cooking from scratch 3x day/365 days a year :

~Rebecca~

#81 of 313 Old 11-02-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
I've made many awesome crockpot creations like that I can never recreate them exactly of course, cause I can't remember what all went in it! I'm pregnant so I have odd tastebuds, so the candied yams and mushrooms are throwing me for a loop Just remember to taste it and see if it needs anything while its still cooking. Thats how I figured out my turkey legs/yams/beans combo needed some cloves to make it just right. I hope your dinner is great, sounds like you got lots of stuff used up!
Just have to say that this is one of the tastiest things I have ever had come out of my crock pot!! I will definitely be making this again!

#82 of 313 Old 11-02-2007, 09:03 PM

I'm totally behind on this thread and just no time to read through. Please forgive me ladies.

I don't know if I said we were having chili last night or not, but we didn't, we got take out (celebratory - dh had an awesome quarter and we got his commission check).

So tonight it's chili and 1 roll from the freezer to make garlic bread (I know, they don't go together), plus leftover bread from last night.

I don't have an end goal here (empty cupboards??) but I'm going to try to count the items used.

2. There, I've counted.
#83 of 313 Old 11-02-2007, 09:44 PM

Tonight we finished up all the leftovers in the fridge. Had leftovers for lunch too.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#84 of 313 Old 11-02-2007, 10:34 PM

I'm going to keep track of what we use too. (Well, only the stuff that's been sitting around unused for a while.) This is getting us to look up different recipes and try new things. We had the yummiest pork tonight. DH finished it and told me to make sure to keep the recipe for future use.

1: Big jar of pasta sauce
2: Can of diced tomatos, feta cheese

Lindsay - DD1, born posterior and chin up at home, Aug 2007
DD2, born at home in the water, March 2010
#85 of 313 Old 11-02-2007, 10:54 PM

I was walking home this afternoon and a girl was giving out lots of unused veggies- and I think they are organic too!. Some of them were going bad but I rescued a little cabbage, 2 bunches of bok choy, 1 bunch of kale and 1/2 a bunch of something similar looking, 2 potatoes, a few little tomatoes and peppers and a lemon!!

neato!

Oh, and this is OT but a couple of days ago I finally bought a gold coffee filter, They are usually 10 bucks and were on sale for 4. Love a good deal and trees must be happy right now too!

As to for our pantry challenge I've used up:

1- Leftovers
2- Last bit of Angel hair pasta
#86 of 313 Old 11-02-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
I had leftover gravy with no meat to go with it, so I dipped bread in the gravy and that was lunch. It was pretty yummy actually.
Oh, gosh! That brings back memories. My grandma used to make us "gravy bread" all the time when I was a kid. She'd tear a slice of bread up into bite size pieces and pour gravy on top. I loved it and haven't had it in years.

Anyway...

I'm in, somewhat. I'll still be grocery shopping each week...but hopefully can buy less and use a lot of what we have in the freezer/ pantry. If I can keep my spending at $400 for the month for food/ household supplies I'll be thrilled. Haven't spent anything yet, so I'm off to a good start.

I've got a pound of ground pork thawing (we order our meat in bulk and don't really get any say as to what we get -- I kinda like it though, it challenges us to try new things). I'm hoping it will work just like ground beef so I'm going to put it in chili tomorrow which will serve the purpose of using up the mystery meat and a bag of dried beans from the pantry. Plus some tomato sauce.

I'm making pumpkin waffles in the morning which will use up a can of pumpkin from the pantry.

And I've got a whole chicken thawing that I plan to cook on Sunday. I'm especially trying to get the deep freezer emptied out somewhat to make room for our next beef order. The pantry's not so bad -- and a lot of what's in there I can send to school with my son next week for their food drive.

And I've got some apples, bananas and zucchini that don't have a whole lot of life left. Hopefully I'll find the time this weekend to make it all into muffins for my freezer stash.
#87 of 313 Old 11-03-2007, 03:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am totally up for this. I have food. The only things I really need to buy is dairy, fresh fruit and veg and bread (since My atempts at home made bread have been brick like)

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (12) and DD2 (8 1/2). Entering our 5th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers.
#88 of 313 Old 11-03-2007, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Well, DH and I are keeping within our $40-a-week budget thus far. (That is, *he* spent about $22 for frivolous lunches; *I* spent $3.80 for coriander and paprika; and we got a couple of dollars' worth of veggies at the supermarket. But we haven't blown the whole $40 yet). I've just discovered the joys of homemade pita bread, so we've had a few pita-chips-and-hummus-and-carrot-stick dinners, which are lovely as the weather gets summerier. I'm even taking pita chips and (homemade) hummus to church lunch tomorrow--terribly frugal of me!

I resisted the urge to buy a milkshake today in town, and feel very noble. I used up our slightly ancient bananas in banana muffins and a smoothie. Still haven't tackled the creamed corn, though. Hmm, dinner tomorrow... I should start thinking about that! Maybe I need to soak some beans. Okay, off to hit the cookbooks!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#89 of 313 Old 11-03-2007, 11:10 AM

I so need to do this. Also, we are going to be tight the rest of the month with extra bills and holiday trips, so not spending money on food will help out a great deal. I am working on a plan for us now to use up our freezer stash.

Anyone have ideas for canned mango and canned pears?

My game plan is to only spend $$ weekly on fresh fruit/ veggies, milk and bread. I plan to use up frozen broccoli, green beans, etc to supplement veggie choices.

Today's menu - I have everything on hand. I also plan to brown ground beef and freeze today for meals later this week
Bk- Dh is making eggs

Lunch- tuna salad sanwiches using some of the tuna from the pantry

Dinner
Beef stew made with potatoes, carrots, celery, onion from the fridge. I found a small pack of beef in the freezer.

Cornbread

Dawn
#90 of 313 Old 11-03-2007, 01:03 PM

Loving this thread; have not had the chance to read all posts, but definitely want in on the action!

First question: DH eats meat; kids and I do not. If I make him anything in the crock pot, there ends up being more food than he will eat (tires of the dish after 2-3 times in a week). If the crock pot meal was made with meat previously frozen, can I refreeze portions of the leftovers? Recall hearing that you are not supposed to refreeze meat previously frozen, but unclear if that included cooked meat? Have a batch of chili with meat going now, so eagerly awaiting answers. Thanks in advance!

Kim

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page