December Lower Income and/or Struggling Mama's Support Thread - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#361 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 12:27 PM
 
sandygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvsquared View Post
Third - I'm in the process of picking up a new client. And he's going to pay me....wait for it.....
FORTY DOLLAR AN ARTICLE!!!
For ten articles a week.
If this works out, it could drastically change our situation.
Please send all the positive energy my way that you can, ladies.
Wow! Good thoughts coming at you!

I'm getting ready to take my mother to the ER - she pulled her toenail off again {long story but power wheelchairs are dangerous sometimes!} and she is diabetic so we need to get it looked at. So there goes my day
sandygirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#362 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 12:28 PM
 
sandygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
Maine. And my caseworker just loves to harass me. I do believe she gets paid extra for it or something. I usually end up just going over her head and demanding to talk to her supervisor. I've gotten that woman in trouble more times than I can count. Hey. Don't mess with a mama!
I dunno if it's like texas but here you can request a new caseworker - I did that this last time because the previous one wouldn't accept my answers re: DD's father when they are 100% true.
sandygirl is offline  
#363 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 12:34 PM
 
mum4boys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myboysmom View Post
May I jump in and introduce myself? I have three boys (15, 11 and 8). I discovered MDC when I was expecting #3. In recent years I have lurked and focused more on "Frugal forums".

I am thrilled to find this support thread. I won't go into my long story of the years since ex left but the bottom line is his standard of living went way up and mine went way down. And my boys don't understand why dad does _________ but I don't. (mostly material stuff).

So, I hope to come out of lurker status and be more active! If you'll have me
Welcome!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
Maine. And my caseworker just loves to harass me. I do believe she gets paid extra for it or something. I usually end up just going over her head and demanding to talk to her supervisor. I've gotten that woman in trouble more times than I can count. Hey. Don't mess with a mama!
I do remember seeing around here a couple more people saying they had problems with their caseworker and they lived in Maine. Maybe it is a quota system.
Hey I know all about getting a caseworker in trouble. In my case it backed fired in away though. I went over her head. They had all kinds of complaints against her. Anyway her supervisor became my mom's caseworker (she was dying and medicare and long term did not cover it all so she had medicaid). He was awesome. I mean beyond awesome. He researched everything for me and help me fight the system (and we won too). Anyway, I always believe in praising people when they do good. So I wrote a letter to his supervisor and to the head of DSHS. You know what the dang state did because of it??? PROMOTED HIM! So then I got Ms I cannot speak English and careless about my job again. I was told off the record they had fired her once but she claimed discrimination because she does not speak English that well. Well the kicker was the letter we received two weeks after my mom died. It was addressed to my dad but the letter inside was addressed to my mom expressing condolences about my father's death. It also gave my mom full benefits including food stamps since my dad was dead and my mom no longer received his retirement income. Yes I did write yet another letter to the state, I worded something like even though I am my parents personal representative, it was shocking to get the news from the caseworker that my father had died especially since we had just got done burying my mother.

Heidi
mum4boys is offline  
#364 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Banned
 
happyhippiemama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: out in the hills of iiiiiiowwwwwaaa
Posts: 1,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thankfuls today....


hmm. let me think.







okay, i think something's coming.......












1) we had milk in the fridge when I woke up this morning (since this pg, I've become notorious for waking in the middle of the night and chugging the last of the milk straight from the jug and putting the (empty) jug back in the fridge and going back to bed without really knowing I was doing it. Then I was always p*ssed in the morning when there was no milk to make DD's preferred breakfast )

2) We paid DD's daycare yesterday!! Well, we're $20 short, but I don't think they'll charge us a late fee for it. Now just to keep the landlord off our back for a week and a half until DP gets paid again and we can pay rent.

3) I get the "nice" gray car today, so I don't have to freak out about DD's safety!! (and the heat works, and the doorlocks all work, so I always try to ditch the other (POS blue car!! ) car on DP anyway


Wow, this thankful thing kinda works. I actually feel a little better now. I should do this every day!!

Oh yeah, that's the idea, huh.
happyhippiemama is offline  
#365 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 01:14 PM
 
Nature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In Aspieville
Posts: 5,964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
Welcome!




I do remember seeing around here a couple more people saying they had problems with their caseworker and they lived in Maine. Maybe it is a quota system.
Hey I know all about getting a caseworker in trouble. In my case it backed fired in away though. I went over her head. They had all kinds of complaints against her. Anyway her supervisor became my mom's caseworker (she was dying and medicare and long term did not cover it all so she had medicaid). He was awesome. I mean beyond awesome. He researched everything for me and help me fight the system (and we won too). Anyway, I always believe in praising people when they do good. So I wrote a letter to his supervisor and to the head of DSHS. You know what the dang state did because of it??? PROMOTED HIM! So then I got Ms I cannot speak English and careless about my job again. I was told off the record they had fired her once but she claimed discrimination because she does not speak English that well. Well the kicker was the letter we received two weeks after my mom died. It was addressed to my dad but the letter inside was addressed to my mom expressing condolences about my father's death. It also gave my mom full benefits including food stamps since my dad was dead and my mom no longer received his retirement income. Yes I did write yet another letter to the state, I worded something like even though I am my parents personal representative, it was shocking to get the news from the caseworker that my father had died especially since we had just got done burying my mother.
You know? This should surprise me, but it doesn't. Honestly, so many things like that have happened to us. Its sickening really.
Here in Maine they are continually getting in trouble because they are accidentally mailing things to other people with similar last names. So other people are getting confidential mail, sometimes about abuse investigations and financial matters. Not once or twice, but continually! The state keeps saying ooops we messed up, and then doing it again. A few times they were found to have thrown out confidential files in the dumpster. Whole! Someone found them and they weren't even shredded at all.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Nature is offline  
#366 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: raising the revolution
Posts: 4,315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I am not a prostitute. I will be serving dinner and drinks...nothing more. Again, thank you for your concern.

I just had to laugh at this duchslove! I know you didn't mean it to be funny but I laughed. It is so nice that people care though... for what it's worth, I thought it was totally legit --- my sister used to be a server for a long time and always got offers like this (legitimate) -- people hire servers for fancy shmancy parties all the time and usually recruit them from restaurants -- because well, they see them in action --
captain crunchy is offline  
#367 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 02:07 PM
 
Iris' Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myboysmom View Post
May I jump in and introduce myself? I have three boys (15, 11 and 8). I discovered MDC when I was expecting #3. In recent years I have lurked and focused more on "Frugal forums".

I am thrilled to find this support thread. I won't go into my long story of the years since ex left but the bottom line is his standard of living went way up and mine went way down. And my boys don't understand why dad does _________ but I don't. (mostly material stuff).

So, I hope to come out of lurker status and be more active! If you'll have me
Welcome. It can be so hard after divorce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
Maine. And my caseworker just loves to harass me. I do believe she gets paid extra for it or something. I usually end up just going over her head and demanding to talk to her supervisor. I've gotten that woman in trouble more times than I can count. Hey. Don't mess with a mama!
I'm just over the border in Mass. -- any way you could relocate?

It's funny I'd been thinking I'd relocate to a lower cost state, because housing costs are so outrageous here. I could probably get by without FS if I didn't qualify, but are health insurance reqs different too? I was paying over $1000/mo. just in premiums alone and over $400 in copays/mo. before my money ran out. No way I could go without. I thought these federal benefits were basically the same.
Iris' Mom is offline  
#368 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 02:23 PM
 
justmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: beginning anew
Posts: 5,720
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
Just found the December thread, because our internet was down due to voltage in the line.


1. Husband quit job, no notice, Nov 3, where he earned $43,000 Gross.
2. Husband got new job Nov 13th, where he now earns $20,800 Gross.
3.Child services division will not alter child support payments (should be only 20% of income) for new income until after his first paycheck (December 1oth), so we'll owe back child support ($584 which we don't have!).
4.Unemployment was rejected.

I'm so mad at him for reacting emotionally, behaving impulsively, and not taking into account how his actions affect others.

I nearly depleted our emergency fund (down to $40) just to pay regular bills.
So, with only a savings of $40, and the minimum of $50 in a savings attached to the checking (required by the bank), my husband withdrew money from an ATM Nov 30 making our balance negative $3.17 in checking!!!! I found out last night, while internet was down, so couldn't transfer savings to checking, and after midnight, so I couldn't call to transfer it. I had a hard time sleeping last night.
He makes me so MAD!!! He say, well, won't the bank just transfer from savings to cover it? I said, yeah, with a NSF fee attached! He knows this, but must be living in an alternate reality. He won't tell me what he spent the money on, not that it matters, since it's gone.
Lucky for me, the gas bill check hadn't cleared yet, so I was able to transfer our savings into checking, and our new checking balance is $28.

I NEVER had NSF concerns until I met him: at the age of 29.

Oh, and he keeps taking MY cell phone with him to work, and I have to hide it from him, turned off, so I can keep it. It's a cell I got through Lifeline, so only costs me $1 a month, and it's MINE! with my numbers that I need, like the bank #, for example.

Sorry, getting off course, because I'm so mad at him.

5. Turned down for food stamps, because my daughters have a college fund, and I have an IRA.

After bills, I estimate we will have $25 a week to buy food, diapers, toiletries, gas, etc. No one can live off $25 a week.


ETA:
:

Just logged onto my online bank.
HE withdrew from the ATM today!
Now, we have .85 cents in checking.

I don't even have the words to express my rage at him.
If he spent that atm money he withdrew on cigarettes, beer, fast food, and dvd's, that would be my husband to a "t." This is one of the reasons we are no longer together. He never thinks of anyone but himself and forces me to pinch pennies to buy clothing for the kids while he splurges on a pack a day habit of cigarettes, a case of beer every weekend and fast food twice a day. And he makes DARN good money too(around $40K a year) and we could barely get by with his spending habits. After 3 years of that I called it quits and said that I couldn't live that way anymore. Now I'm living the same way but it's due to a MUCH lower income and it's all me. If I dont' have money, it's because of me and my job, not his spending. It's a much better feeling even though it didn't do me much good financially. At least I know I won't go into debt with him.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

justmama is offline  
#369 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 02:35 PM
 
justmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: beginning anew
Posts: 5,720
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMike View Post
.
DH and I have been married for 4 years. We've been struggling for most of that time. DH works for Wal-Mart and I work as a vet tech.
Hey! Another tech. I"m a former tech and I miss it SO much! I worked at a local emergency hospital for a while and it was SO rewarding. But unfortunately I'm not certified so I make more waitressing and the hours are less. My little sister is a tech too. She's actually taking the exam in another few months to become certified. So welcome welcome!

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

justmama is offline  
#370 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 02:38 PM
 
justmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: beginning anew
Posts: 5,720
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
So is Cocoa!

dd will not let me call this babe anything but that!
Better than Big Bird!

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

justmama is offline  
#371 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 02:47 PM
 
justmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: beginning anew
Posts: 5,720
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Okay so who was the one who told me that they had 30 days to deal with a food stamps application??????

In my state you have to fill out a short application with your name, ssn, and address info and they send you an appointment through the mail to meet a caseworker for the application with all your info. I filed one out 2 1/2 weeks ago and havent' heard back. Called last week and they told me that they have up to 30 days to respond to the short application. Called again today and I told the lady that I filled it out 2 1/2 weeks ago, hadn't heard back, and now I'm panicking trying to feed my kids. Her response was to ask me if I had any income. UMMMMMMMMM, yeah. But obviously if I'm applying for food stamps I either had no food 2 1/2 weeks ago or I don't have enough month to month to cover my bills and food. So should I just not EAT for 30 days??????????? They are still maintaining that they have 30 days to give you an appointment and I'm beyond frustrated. She took down my ssn and checked in the system and said that she didn't see anything so that basically means that they haven't even PROCESSED my application yet!!!!! In nearly 3 weeks. An d the caseworker that she tried to transfer me to(because I requested to speak to someone) never answered the phone and her voicemail was full. I'm just beyond frustrated. My rent goes up $75 on Jan 1st and I can barely pay it now. I could move but there's nothing in this school district and my poor daughter has been in a new school every year and I feel awful for her. And I'm 30 weeks pregnant and moving is going to be so hard!!!! I just need to sit and cry for a little while. I dont' know what to do anymore. Anyone have any advice for the food stamps sitaution???????

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

justmama is offline  
#372 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 03:11 PM
 
Iris' Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
Okay so who was the one who told me that they had 30 days to deal with a food stamps application??????

In my state you have to fill out a short application with your name, ssn, and address info and they send you an appointment through the mail to meet a caseworker for the application with all your info. I filed one out 2 1/2 weeks ago and havent' heard back. Called last week and they told me that they have up to 30 days to respond to the short application. Called again today and I told the lady that I filled it out 2 1/2 weeks ago, hadn't heard back, and now I'm panicking trying to feed my kids. Her response was to ask me if I had any income. UMMMMMMMMM, yeah. But obviously if I'm applying for food stamps I either had no food 2 1/2 weeks ago or I don't have enough month to month to cover my bills and food. So should I just not EAT for 30 days??????????? They are still maintaining that they have 30 days to give you an appointment and I'm beyond frustrated. She took down my ssn and checked in the system and said that she didn't see anything so that basically means that they haven't even PROCESSED my application yet!!!!! In nearly 3 weeks. An d the caseworker that she tried to transfer me to(because I requested to speak to someone) never answered the phone and her voicemail was full. I'm just beyond frustrated. My rent goes up $75 on Jan 1st and I can barely pay it now. I could move but there's nothing in this school district and my poor daughter has been in a new school every year and I feel awful for her. And I'm 30 weeks pregnant and moving is going to be so hard!!!! I just need to sit and cry for a little while. I dont' know what to do anymore. Anyone have any advice for the food stamps sitaution???????
Well, I hesitate to offer any advice, because apparently things are completely different from state to state, but my advice would be, apply for WIC today. I was approved instantly, and my meeting was in person. You may get tired of milk and eggs and cereal, but it should help.

Re: the foodstamps. I don't know what it is in your state, but here, if you have below a certain amount of money in the bank, you can get emergency foodstamps while your application is pending. Is there a website for your state where you can check out if you qualify?
Iris' Mom is offline  
#373 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 03:24 PM
 
CrunchyDoula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvsquared View Post
FORTY DOLLAR AN ARTICLE!!!


For ten articles a week.

Sandi
That is wonderful!! Congratulations and I hope it works out for you!

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
CrunchyDoula is offline  
#374 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 03:36 PM
 
Purple*Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fluffyville
Posts: 5,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris' Mom View Post
I feel your pain, but I won't make it worse by saying he sounds very much like someone I used to know, BUT, once again, do FS regs really vary so much from state to state? I have an IRA and college funds, and they were not included in my FS determination. Are you sure you don't qualify, or am I going to get a big, fat notice saying I have to repay what they gave me? I'm pretty sure I was told that assets don't count, and I absolutely know I told her how much I had in my bank account, because she was checking to see if I qualified for emergency food stamps. I hope I'm right, and you qualify.
I think things vary depending on the state you are in. Here in WV, they only roll over for 90 days, after that, they are gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMike View Post
Hello! Wow, this thread is really active, isn't it? I posted to this a few months ago but never kept up because I was offline for a while. I'll try to briefly explain our situation.
DH and I have been married for 4 years. We've been struggling for most of that time. DH works for Wal-Mart and I work as a vet tech. We lived in an apartment for a little over three years but were unable to afford to stay there. We were unable to afford anything in our area and our only option was to move in with my parents. This was in the beginning of June. We only intended to live with my parents until October at the latest. It's December and we're still here. I have to say that I am grateful that my parents have let us move in here. They were hoping we'd be able to save up and find SOMETHING. We haven't found a new place to live yet and I've pretty much given up hope. We have very bad credit and a mountain of bills. Everytime I think things *might* be okay I realize there are two more bills I forgot about. I've been avoiding collection calls for months now. We haven't been able to save much money at all by living with my parents. Our stuff can't fit in my parents house so we're paying storage fees every month. We both work 50 minutes away from my parents home and we average close to $400 dollars in gas alone. That's not counting maintenance on my car. Leaving either job isn't an option. My job was a damn near miracle at the time because it's one of the highest paying hospitals around. DHs job won't transfer him to a closer store. He's been looking for another job but hasn't had any luck. We want to move back to the area where we used to live so we really don't want to find jobs here only to have to quit and move back to our old area, although DH has tried for the sake of making more money. DH just applied to TWO Whole Foods recently and we were really hoping he'd get a job at one. The pay would be a huge increase and we were really counting on it. DH seemed qualified for both stores. One store didn't interview him because he's not the "type of person" they hire, whatever that means. The other store gave him an interview, seemed optimistic and then didn't hire him.
I'm sorry if this sounds very scattered. I'm trying to be brief, but that is impossible for me. It all boils down to the fact that we don't make enough money to live independently. We make too much money (HAHAHA) to qualify for any services. We don't have any health insurance, though we are waiting on word from CHIP for ds. I have given up all hope. I don't think there is any place out there for us to live. I don't see anyway that we will be able to pay bills or get out of this crap situation. I'm going nuts living with my parents. Please don't think I'm ungrateful. I am very fortunate that they can do this for us, but I'm human with human feelings and right now things just aren't good at home. There is strain everywhere.
Please say some mega prayers for us.
Big hugs to all of you.
Welcome You will meet very supportive, kind people here

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannienicole View Post
DH's grandma gave us $400 for Christmas! We had no idea! We are going to use the money to pay some bills and get some groceries. DH scheduled his major knee surgery for the 9th of January. He is trying to take a bit of leave around Christmas so that we can go to Dallas and spend some time with family. Spring semester begins Jan 14, just 5 days after his surgery....I am nervous about that. The stress :. I am thinking that during the summer break, as I am not taking any classes, that I will get a waitress job for the evenings and some weekend nights. Maybe even bartend if I can save to get my certification in it. It would help us get out of our mountain of debt (one step at a time) that we buried ourselves in. Paying for necessities on credit...it's so hard when you have to do that. :


Oh, and part of the money is going to shipping for the HH stuff. I really hope that the two families, I has GUI for could use them. I filled a flat rate with stuff for their DDs and it felt amazing to do, especially because we are on the list. Even when things are hard, it is important to help others. This thread reminds me of that everyday as we all offer support to one another.
Yay for extra money! Can someone tell me what GUI stands for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradmama View Post
Oh mamas - I wish I could read the last 12 pages, but I so can't.

Here's just very big s .

I found out today that some random people who don't even know us want to be our Secret Santas and could I please make a list of what I want/need and there aren't really any parameters! Wow. I don't even know what to write. Its a very uncomfortable but blessed place to be. Any ideas on what I should ask for? It was sort of suggested that I might ask for the BRAND of shoes my children were asking for........ WOW. They are like LOTS of money that I wouldn't spend.....

Anyway. s again. Just wanted to share something positive. I've got to get back to writing.
I would probably ask for the basics, like socks, underwear, pjs, things that the kids will need most. Don't not feel bad about being specific, this person wants you to be, so it is all good

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma earthical View Post
Good morning everyone! : Can't believe that I'm the first one here! No wonder my apartment is such a mess. I think I'm addicted to MDC!!! Help me somebody Gotta go clean!
I played hooky from the office Christmas party this morning. It is snowing like crazy and I figured if I *had* to go to work at 5 PM, I sure as heck wasn't going voluntarily at 9 am in this snow

That being said.. would anyone like some buffalo chicken dip that I made to feed 30 people at said office party?? I wish you all lived closer sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
Well on to my huge rant. Liam wen to his emergency doctor apt yesterday at the GI clinic at Children's. The doctor spent 4 minutes looking at his labs and 2 minutes with me talking for a grand total of 6 minutes. :He told me I had a sick little boy. REALLY! He did some lab work and we will not know for two weeks the results. He did not even exam Liam. I am so frustrated and pod right now about this. I do not even know where to take Liam to get help. It seems to be a universal problem with pediatric GI. OH he did give Liam an antibiotic for his parasite he has. It has to be given exactly every 8 hours for the next two weeks. Lovely huh?

Positive note, as we were leaving Children's my dr. office called. My apt had been cancelled the day before because the clinic had flooded. Anyway they wanted to get me in and so even though the clinic was not open and still wet I got to see my dr. and get different meds for my arthritis.

I am excited today. We get to stay home YA! I am so sick of going to the doctors for everyone.
Sorry to hear about the appointment I wish doctors would treat people like, well, PEOPLE :

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvsquared View Post
I'm having a really good day, and thought I'd come share

First, to Jaime - I got my snow!

Snow's a really big deal to me. I used to always call my mom (who loved snow, and winter, and snowmen....) the first snow of the season, and we'd get so excited....now that she'd gone, well, I'm telling you guys!

Secondly, I've had three lovely mamas send me care packages for Zoe since I posted my thread in the MDC giving area. I was so bummed to do it, but we really needed a little help, and I don't have enough posts to qualify for holiday helpers.....the generosity and community here are just overwhelming sometimes.

Third - I'm in the process of picking up a new client. And he's going to pay me....wait for it.....

FORTY DOLLAR AN ARTICLE!!!


For ten articles a week.


If this works out, it could drastically change our situation.
Please send all the positive energy my way that you can, ladies.


Sandi
Way to go that is awesome!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Myboysmom View Post
May I jump in and introduce myself? I have three boys (15, 11 and 8). I discovered MDC when I was expecting #3. In recent years I have lurked and focused more on "Frugal forums".

I am thrilled to find this support thread. I won't go into my long story of the years since ex left but the bottom line is his standard of living went way up and mine went way down. And my boys don't understand why dad does _________ but I don't. (mostly material stuff).

So, I hope to come out of lurker status and be more active! If you'll have me
Welcome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhippiemama View Post
Thankfuls today....

1) we had milk in the fridge when I woke up this morning (since this pg, I've become notorious for waking in the middle of the night and chugging the last of the milk straight from the jug and putting the (empty) jug back in the fridge and going back to bed without really knowing I was doing it. Then I was always p*ssed in the morning when there was no milk to make DD's preferred breakfast )

2) We paid DD's daycare yesterday!! Well, we're $20 short, but I don't think they'll charge us a late fee for it. Now just to keep the landlord off our back for a week and a half until DP gets paid again and we can pay rent.

3) I get the "nice" gray car today, so I don't have to freak out about DD's safety!! (and the heat works, and the doorlocks all work, so I always try to ditch the other (POS blue car!! ) car on DP anyway


Wow, this thankful thing kinda works. I actually feel a little better now. I should do this every day!!

Oh yeah, that's the idea, huh.
You sound like me with the car thing. My car has no rear defrost, the heating options only work on certain settings, the fuel gage has been broken for years, I used to drive pratically from the backseat because the seat was broken, but I finally coughed up the $75 to fix it with a new seat when it almost didn't pass inspection.. I could go on, but I wont I love taking DH's car when he is not looking :

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin
   
Purple*Lotus is offline  
#375 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 03:37 PM
 
CrunchyDoula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myboysmom View Post
May I jump in and introduce myself? I have three boys (15, 11 and 8). I discovered MDC when I was expecting #3. In recent years I have lurked and focused more on "Frugal forums".

I am thrilled to find this support thread. I won't go into my long story of the years since ex left but the bottom line is his standard of living went way up and mine went way down. And my boys don't understand why dad does _________ but I don't. (mostly material stuff).

So, I hope to come out of lurker status and be more active! If you'll have me
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys
I have to say I am so thankful that I get to stay home today. I am so sick of going to appt. I am really looking forward to cooking, baking, homeschooling, working all from my flannel pjs.
Enjoy! That is what I get to do today too! Just sit around, well clean too and enjoy dd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhippiemama
Wow, this thankful thing kinda works. I actually feel a little better now. I should do this every day!!
It does feel good when you actually say what you are thankful for, huh? I have noticed that too since doing it!


Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama
Okay so who was the one who told me that they had 30 days to deal with a food stamps application??????

In my state you have to fill out a short application with your name, ssn, and address info and they send you an appointment through the mail to meet a caseworker for the application with all your info. I filed one out 2 1/2 weeks ago and havent' heard back. Called last week and they told me that they have up to 30 days to respond to the short application. Called again today and I told the lady that I filled it out 2 1/2 weeks ago, hadn't heard back, and now I'm panicking trying to feed my kids. Her response was to ask me if I had any income. UMMMMMMMMM, yeah. But obviously if I'm applying for food stamps I either had no food 2 1/2 weeks ago or I don't have enough month to month to cover my bills and food. So should I just not EAT for 30 days??????????? They are still maintaining that they have 30 days to give you an appointment and I'm beyond frustrated. She took down my ssn and checked in the system and said that she didn't see anything so that basically means that they haven't even PROCESSED my application yet!!!!! In nearly 3 weeks. An d the caseworker that she tried to transfer me to(because I requested to speak to someone) never answered the phone and her voicemail was full. I'm just beyond frustrated. My rent goes up $75 on Jan 1st and I can barely pay it now. I could move but there's nothing in this school district and my poor daughter has been in a new school every year and I feel awful for her. And I'm 30 weeks pregnant and moving is going to be so hard!!!! I just need to sit and cry for a little while. I dont' know what to do anymore. Anyone have any advice for the food stamps sitaution???????
I am so sorry you are going through this! I don't have any experience with this just s

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
CrunchyDoula is offline  
#376 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 03:39 PM
 
Purple*Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fluffyville
Posts: 5,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A word on needing emergency food:

I manage a domestic violence shelter. We have tons of food that is donated from the public. People bring boxes of food all the time, even when I ask them not to : We have so much food that we have no where to store it. Oh, and did I mention that my clients don't eat it? I have no idea what they do eat, but they aren't eating the food we have for them :

That being said, if someone calls needing food, I will give them some. I would rather do that than see it go to waste.

So call your local domestic violence shelter and ask them if they can spare any donated food. They might not have as much as my shelter does, because it will obviously depend on the generosity of the particular community, but it is worth a try!

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin
   
Purple*Lotus is offline  
#377 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 03:47 PM
 
vannienicole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
*
vannienicole is offline  
#378 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 03:49 PM
 
CrunchyDoula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So good news today!! So this is really a rave!

Yesterday I attended the States Civil Service job fair for firefighting. I was really intimidated going in knowing that I am a female breaking into a male dominated career. Well I didn't know the chief who was speaking at the booth, but he knew me My father died in the line of duty and me and my family are really close with the department and know about 75% of them. But so, I walk to the booth and their are about 15-20 males standing there listening to him speaking. Their were brochures on the table but I didn't want to be rude and jump in front of everybody, so I was just waiting in the back and listening. When he caught my eye and asked me "Young lady, are you interested in becoming a FF?" and I said, "I sure am!" So we chatted for a bit, remember he was just talking to all of these other guys, and then asked me if I had been on a ride along yet? I told him I hadn't done the paperwork yet, but I really would like to. So in the middle of talking with all of these people he calls his secretary to set up a ride along at one of the nearby stations with one of the other leading women on the department! I am so excited! My ride along is set for next Monday from 7am to 10pm!

This is so what we need as a family! There is no way we will ever have stability unless I get this job. My dh doesn't make alot and is working towards his skydiving instructors licence, which won't make much more either, let alone won't have ANY benefits! If I get this job I will only work 8 days a month, have paid sick and vacation time, retirement benefits and a pension! I can't even imagin this! I would finally not have to worry about making all of bills outside of rent and maybe one day we could think of owning out own home!!!

When I was getting ready to leave the fair the chief told me he was so excited for me to be there! He told me they can't lose me! Last years graduating class didn't have a single female graduate. So this year there is a much better chance of me making it on because of that. Unfortunatly they do need to fill a quota.

I am very nervous because I need to work my butt off! The application process opens at 8am on Feb. 1st and usually fills up within 3 hours and then there are no more slots left. I have to get this!

Please say a prayer for me that I can be strong and compete with the best of them! Thanks for making it this far!

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
CrunchyDoula is offline  
#379 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 03:58 PM
 
Daniel's Kitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry about the food stamps problems.

Wow I can't seem to keep up with this thread at all!

But my baby will have a Christmas gift from us this year. I only have one cuff left on a wool soaker, it is my first knitting project and I started it on Thanksgiving and have been doing it in my spare time.
Daniel's Kitty is offline  
#380 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 04:05 PM
 
Nature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In Aspieville
Posts: 5,964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Doula View Post
So good news today!! So this is really a rave!

Yesterday I attended the States Civil Service job fair for firefighting. I was really intimidated going in knowing that I am a female breaking into a male dominated career. Well I didn't know the chief who was speaking at the booth, but he knew me My father died in the line of duty and me and my family are really close with the department and know about 75% of them. But so, I walk to the booth and their are about 15-20 males standing there listening to him speaking. Their were brochures on the table but I didn't want to be rude and jump in front of everybody, so I was just waiting in the back and listening. When he caught my eye and asked me "Young lady, are you interested in becoming a FF?" and I said, "I sure am!" So we chatted for a bit, remember he was just talking to all of these other guys, and then asked me if I had been on a ride along yet? I told him I hadn't done the paperwork yet, but I really would like to. So in the middle of talking with all of these people he calls his secretary to set up a ride along at one of the nearby stations with one of the other leading women on the department! I am so excited! My ride along is set for next Monday from 7am to 10pm!

This is so what we need as a family! There is no way we will ever have stability unless I get this job. My dh doesn't make alot and is working towards his skydiving instructors licence, which won't make much more either, let alone won't have ANY benefits! If I get this job I will only work 8 days a month, have paid sick and vacation time, retirement benefits and a pension! I can't even imagin this! I would finally not have to worry about making all of bills outside of rent and maybe one day we could think of owning out own home!!!

When I was getting ready to leave the fair the chief told me he was so excited for me to be there! He told me they can't lose me! Last years graduating class didn't have a single female graduate. So this year there is a much better chance of me making it on because of that. Unfortunatly they do need to fill a quota.

I am very nervous because I need to work my butt off! The application process opens at 8am on Feb. 1st and usually fills up within 3 hours and then there are no more slots left. I have to get this!

Please say a prayer for me that I can be strong and compete with the best of them! Thanks for making it this far!
Thats wonderful! I was a volunteer firefighter in my town for about 6 years before I had kids. It is very difficult to break into a male dominated field.. I can remember how intimidated I felt. You can do it!!! I'll be rootin' for ya! Stay safe mama!!

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Nature is offline  
#381 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 04:15 PM
Banned
 
happyhippiemama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: out in the hills of iiiiiiowwwwwaaa
Posts: 1,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Woohoo CrunchyDoula!!

I'll be wishing you the best.
happyhippiemama is offline  
#382 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 04:38 PM
 
Iris' Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great news, Crunchy Doula!!
Iris' Mom is offline  
#383 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 04:48 PM
 
CrunchyDoula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
Thats wonderful! I was a volunteer firefighter in my town for about 6 years before I had kids. It is very difficult to break into a male dominated field.. I can remember how intimidated I felt. You can do it!!! I'll be rootin' for ya! Stay safe mama!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhippiemama
Woohoo CrunchyDoula!!

I'll be wishing you the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris' Mom
Great news, Crunchy Doula!!
Thanks so much ladies!!

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
CrunchyDoula is offline  
#384 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Banned
 
2Sweeties1Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sweeties1Angel
I'm seriously thinking about taking the ADN pre-reqs starting in January. I'll have to go part-time because I'm working 40-48+ hours/week and I can't cut my hours because DH will be going to school full-time. He's, um, how do I put this without sounding conceited or like I'm insulting him? He can't work more than 20 hours/week while going to school because he's not as focused or as intelligent as I am. He doesn't comprehend things as well. Geez, that sounded bad but it's true and he freely admits it.
Life would be so much easier if I were an RN because we'd have a lot more money. I already know that I'll like the profession because I'm a nursing assitant and love it.

Follow your gut!!!!
After I wrote that yesterday, I went to the CC and registered for 6 credit hours of my pre-reqs I'm taking Intro to Algebra and Nutrition. I could get into a higher math course, but I royally suck at math and need a refresher. It usually takes me at least 2 tries at a math class to "get it" Thank goodness math is the only thing I'm that bad at. DH and I are in the same math class so we can share a book (!) and we both have class at the same time (but different classes) for my other class so we can ride together.
2Sweeties1Angel is offline  
#385 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 05:05 PM
Banned
 
2Sweeties1Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I both had to miss work today and that's going to hurt when payday comes I already worked 8 hours of overtime over the weekend so it won't hurt *too* much, thank goodness. We were up all.night.long listening to our 10 month old DD cough and we're not feeling well either, so there was no way either of us could handle working today. We took her to the doctor and he thinks she has her first VPD--whooping cough. Oh well, I'd rather her have whooping cough than possibly die from the vaccine like her brother did. He gave her some meds, I forget what but DH has them, and told us to take her in for a chest x-ray if the coughing hasn't eased up by Friday. If she does have whooping cough, I guess I should expect the rest of us to catch it, right? Oh joy...
2Sweeties1Angel is offline  
#386 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 05:38 PM
 
Iris' Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sweeties1Angel View Post
DH and I both had to miss work today and that's going to hurt when payday comes I already worked 8 hours of overtime over the weekend so it won't hurt *too* much, thank goodness. We were up all.night.long listening to our 10 month old DD cough and we're not feeling well either, so there was no way either of us could handle working today. We took her to the doctor and he thinks she has her first VPD--whooping cough. Oh well, I'd rather her have whooping cough than possibly die from the vaccine like her brother did. He gave her some meds, I forget what but DH has them, and told us to take her in for a chest x-ray if the coughing hasn't eased up by Friday. If she does have whooping cough, I guess I should expect the rest of us to catch it, right? Oh joy...
Ihope dd's feeling better.

Just heard back from my case worker -- In MA, assets do NOT count if you have children. Perhaps that's a bit lax, I don't know, but I definitely think assets that are earmarked for a purpose like retirement or education, and necessities like housing and cars, should not disqualify someone from getting FS. I suppose if you has $50K in your savings account just sitting there, it would be one thing. But $50K in a retirement fund, when who knows what social security is going to be like in 20 or 30 yrs? You have to spend it all before you can get a few hundred dollars of groceries? Not fair.

I'm thankful for
1) Living in the People's Republic of Massachusetts!
2)Slow-churned ice cream
3) Can I say my kids again?
Iris' Mom is offline  
#387 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 05:41 PM
 
Purple*Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fluffyville
Posts: 5,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Someone send me some "get to work safely" vibes please. It is snowing like crazy here :

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin
   
Purple*Lotus is offline  
#388 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 05:42 PM
 
Iris' Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Jaime View Post
Someone send me some "get to work safely" vibes please. It is snowing like crazy here :
Drive carefully, and be safe!
Iris' Mom is offline  
#389 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 05:45 PM
 
CrunchyDoula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Jaime View Post
Someone send me some "get to work safely" vibes please. It is snowing like crazy here :
Stay safe and drive carefully!! And watch out for the other crazy drivers!

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
CrunchyDoula is offline  
#390 of 1547 Old 12-05-2007, 05:49 PM
 
Purple*Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fluffyville
Posts: 5,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At least once a year a manager gets snowed in at work and has to stay there for days because day staff can't get in. So I have packed a ton of extra socks and underwear, lots of books and a ton of yarn I figure if I have to be stuck there for a few days, I might as well be comfortable This is motivating me to have my DH fix our internet at work. I can't stand being cut off from the net at work. Sixteen hour shifts with no net are a killer

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin
   
Purple*Lotus is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off