December Lower Income and/or Struggling Mama's Support Thread - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I'm new -though have lurked on this site for a long time. I am pregnant with my 4th kid (very happy) BUT just had to ask my Mother for a loan yesterday, I am thankful that I can do that BUT she started to ask "I don't know if you're still thinking about having another baby or even if you're pregnant all ready....." so I cut her off and told her the *good* news. She was cool, didn't rub my nose in anything and is very supportive in general.

I have a clothing exchange at our church, it's open to anyone and I get all of my small kids stuff there. I've put up posts at the WIC office and called one emergency center to donate and guess what? No takers! I need this, I KNOW that other's need it, do you think it's a pride thing? We've had it since last May and honestly I've had to find people myself and pack up stuff, feeling like I'm practically shoving the stuff at them.
I will be hanging around in this forum -I plan to cloth diaper the baby that's cooking and I always exclusively breastfeed anyway (still BFing my 25 month old) -I want to get lots of ideas of how else to save. I recommend to anyone starting a clothing exchange and if anyone wants ideas about that please ask away.
#422 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ediesmom View Post
thanks...

i wan't just one freaking thing to be easy right now. not my whole life. just any one thing to be simple.

so, i can't go to school

i am about one more issue away from the crisis unit at the local hospital:

and to top it all off.....i'm fighting with my dr about thyroid issues. my tsh came back low. tsh is a pituitary hormone. i'd think my pituitary gland has an issue, since my thyroid labs look beautiful, and I feel physically better than i have in years. but I guess i know nothing about my body or how i feel cuz she wants me to take less thyroid so my pituitary will feel better!?!

losing it......JUST.LOSING.IT.

(note to self, and others, DO NOT listen to sad warren haynes songs when losing it.....)

you can't dance the welfare shuffle when you're crying.....just can't get the groove thing going

i need to borrow someones car for just ONE day. with it i would
pick up a scrip, retrieve the earring i lost at the resale shop in falmouth last week, grocery shop, go to the CU, go the market to get acidophilus to kill this nagging yeast infection, go to the po to mail some packages, go to the petstore to buy kitty food.....kitty is throwing up the purina crap from the corner store......, go to the hardware store so i can try to get a part to fix the space heater, and the part for my oven (looks like my very sweet but really crazy LL won't be in her right mind for a while to get oven fixed)

but, i don't have a car. and its freezing so i probably won't brave the bus because i literally get scary cold and my body shakes like i am having seizures.

is the universe trying to defeat me?

well, off to try to talk (by phone) to my professors so maybe i won't FAIL my classes
I'm so sorry. You ARE having a rough week or two. I wish I could help. Ya knw, I'm right here in RI. If I can ever help you out I would be willing. Even if it's just a playdate. Some adult conversation every now and then can't hurt.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#423 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Haven't done thankfuls in a while because I've been pitying myself too much so I really need to:

1. my nearly 3 year old is potty learning!!!!!! She's been dry(with maybe 2 accidents?) for nearly a week. We have yet to get the poop issue under control but even pee control means less diapers and less packing a diaper bag to go places.

2. a mama on diaperswappers traded skills iwth me so I knit her kids some toys and she sewed an Elmo trainer for Lulu. It was all Lu wanted for christmas and I was able to get it in trade!!!!!!!

3. I have enough saved for 4 weeks of maternity leave right now!!!!!!

4 I"m 30weeks pregnant so in less than 3 months we will get to meet this little girl!

5. I'm done with all my knitting projects as of today so I finally have time to knit for my own kids.

6. everyone knows but I'm grateful for that mama at the bus stop who is adopting our family for christmas. I gave her the list today. That's a huge weight off my mind to know that my girls will hav ea great christmas even though I can't afford to do that for them.

7. i found a few days' worth of antibiotics and probiotics for this sinus infection in my closet that are still good and safe to use.

8. chocolate! enough said!

9. I work tonight so that's extra money for food!!!!!

10. tonight my ex stays at my house with the kids so I don't have to wake them in the middle of the night to take them home after work because the oldest has school tomorrow!

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#424 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain crunchy View Post

Shay -- yeah your FIL reminds me of mine. My FIL has helped us out financially, and has the sort of "if I have it, you have it" attitide which is so sweet -- but then he will say things to DH like.... "maybe you could think about getting a savings account" --- sort of implying that all our financial issues are because we don't know how to save or something (untrue!). He is not being mean, just clueless.

It puts me in mind of that Saturday Night Live skit I saw about money... it was funny, sort of like --

"Just get your money out of the bank and then....."

"...but where do I get this money??"

"Oh, from your wallet. You take it out of your wallet and put it in the bank..."

"but where does the money in my wallet come from to put in the bank?"

"The ATM!!"

"but where does the money from the ATM come from??"

"Oh! You just get it out of the bank!!"

...and it went around in circles, it was too funny.

Yes, we have the same FIL.. earlier this year when he was visiting and gave us the remaining 12K we owed on our 2006 taxes, he & I had this interestingly strange conversation with how all we had to do was put aside the tax money every time dh gets paid from a client. He just could not understand its not that easy.. I mean if you get paid a straight 4k and your bills are say 4200, taking out 20% from the 4K is not so easy to do. He just doesn't get that despite on paper before losing my job that our debts were almost more than our income, and this says nothing for the stuff that just comes up unexpectedly.

This year has been the year of car repairs, in April our old car died and since we never have more than 100-200 in savings because we were paying our living expenses plus all the creditors it means never a nest egg to deal with the unexpected. So we had to the take the bill money to get a new used car which we bought from a friend and it ended costing an additional 700 to get running and inspected and tags and that was aside from the 2900 said friend charged for the car. So you can see how things just snowball, then I lost my job in July just when we were almost back on track, literally 2 pay periods away from digging out of the first car fiasco of the year. Then last month when the car failed inspection that was 900 that came directly from bill money since where I live not having a car is not an option.

I get so mad when people don't get it :, like hello why don't you understand. Ugh..

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#425 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 01:08 PM

I am so mad right now, you just do not even know!

:

It took me 40 minutes to drive 3 miles last night to work. Then when I got there no one was there. Then this morning none of my coworkers came to relieve me on time, and could they call? NOoooooooooooo. Finally I was able to leave and I can't get my car up the stupid hill to my house : So now I am at my parent's house, sulking because I have to go back to work in a few hours and I can't go home to my house to do anything that I want to do, like laundry and dishes, and all of that other lovely stuff.

I am just going to sit here and eat worms :

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#426 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 01:11 PM

I am sorry to hear about your friend, Aura

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#427 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 01:53 PM

#428 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 01:59 PM

Yeah I shouldn't complain, I was prepared for it

I am more irriated that I called DH at work to let him know, so he wouldn't like, expect his dinner to be read for him like it usually is,. and he was all, like "Oh you should be able to get up the hill just fine!" Uh, no, apparantly not :

#429 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 02:03 PM

Sounds like a long day all around yesterday. I'm so sorry to hear it! mine actually went relatively well (though not as well as I would have liked). I made it to the assistance office and found that I was missing a bit of paperwork-- nothing difficult to get my hands on, but I won't be able to get it all back to them until Friday. Even so, my (new) caseworker said she had 30 days from my initial application date to get things together. She received the application on 13 November, so getting things in on Friday means we should be getting food stamps next week. We can deal with that.

On the down side, I'm in a ton of pain and I've got an itchy rash all over my body. Well.. I shouldn't say a ton of pain, I feel a heck of a lot better than I did last night, but my joints are bothering me. It's totally weird. I'm also extra depressed about my teeth, which are so ugly. It's like, I want to be happy and smile and sound cheerful, but knowing how ugly my teeth are I have to immediately clamp my jaw *shut*. It's so bloody weak.

Greatfuls today:

1. Holiday helpers-- we've been seriously blessed. : In one of the boxes I've opened, there were three "silly" little things that made me cry. I know it would probably sound funny to most people, but someone included mascara... Like, "you get to be pretty, too!" : I'm so glad to know such thoughtful people. I wish I could do more than send a homemade card to her & her family!

2. Snow! We got about 6" yesterday. I snow. I think I'd have liked it better if I'd had gloves and been able to find the scraper... also, if our scraper was about four feet long instead of a foot and a half (I'm just about 5'1", I can't reach most of the minivan windows easily even with the scraper... and I couldn't find it last night, so I had to use a random bit of cloth from the van : :shiver). Still, it was very pretty and I *hope* I can get BeanBean to run outside and play in it.

3. I started knitting a pair of longies for the Seamonkey despite my worries... it's been hiding in my backpack, the waistband is finished and (wait for it)... Bella hasn't found it yet!! That means the circular needles are still holding the project.

4. Offers of help with diapers, and some that's already arrived. The cover situation is still quite sketchy (I've never had a kid who could go from preemie/newborn to medium in an instant, they just have skinny thighs ) but if I can knit and there are enough diapers around for religiously regular changes... well, I've got a snappi and on those buns they will go!

5. Really good bagels. The ones we get from SHARE (Panera!) are way better than the bagels we buy at the store when we have food stamps. SO yummy.

6. Kids who like taking medicine. Sometimes this is actually a problem for us-- Bean in particular has been known to attempt faking sick to get some children's motrin ()-- but when they need it, I'm so glad that I can just call them, and they drink it down like nothing, even when it tastes yucky. If it's really yucky, the rule is that they can have 4 oz of anything that we have in the house to drink afterwards. This has been necessary for my nieces, but I've never even had to offer it to my kids-- they just slurp it down and ask for water. A little thing, but it *could* be so much more difficult.

7. A vehicle that works pretty well, and is relatively new. my minivan is only an '03, and while it's been in a serious accident it does run reliably and get us where we need to go. The breaks need some work, yeah; It's not *perfect*, but overall it's in great condition. Reading about car troubles (and remembering some we had with the Saturn I totalled a few years ago makes me more greatful than ever for that.

8. The kids really want to be helpful, even when they're little punks. They try.

9. Bella's talking more! I was really starting to get worried about her. :

10. my nieces told me that what they want for channuka are knitting needles and for me to teach them how to knit. Such sweet girls, and they want something inexpensive and easy-- more than anything, they want to spend time with me. Also quite a relief, because the older one is at a really hard-to-buy-for age (10.5), and she *could* have asked for something strange and expensive like an mp3 player. She's got more sense than that, though; Not only does she know that I have no money, she knows that her father is still on a bit of a guilt trip and more likely to buy such things, so she asked *him* for a CD player. Anyway, yeah-- finding two pairs of knitting needles shouldn't be difficult at all (people are always listing such things on Freecycle). The hardest part will be teaching BizzyBug, who has sensory issues (such that she still has a hard time holding a pencil and writing legibly at 7) but as I said, it's mostly about spending time together.

All I can think of for now.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#430 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura_Kitten View Post
I have not read any of the other replies... to be honest it's hard to even type right now... a friend of mine was killed in a car wreck yesterday... I found out today in class...

left class....

She was 28. She was a single mother. She was always so full of sunshine and life.... it is so hard to believe she's gone. I knew her for such a short time and she was already so dear to me....

I'm going to miss her so much.

if you're the praying sort please send some toward her little ones.

AuraKitten. Love and light to you and to your friend's family.
#431 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Jaime View Post

:

It took me 40 minutes to drive 3 miles last night to work. Then when I got there no one was there. Then this morning none of my coworkers came to relieve me on time, and could they call? NOoooooooooooo. Finally I was able to leave and I can't get my car up the stupid hill to my house : So now I am at my parent's house, sulking because I have to go back to work in a few hours and I can't go home to my house to do anything that I want to do, like laundry and dishes, and all of that other lovely stuff.

Did it snow?

Heidi
#432 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:

:

Mmmmmm, any nice recipes?
#433 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I have not read any of the other replies... to be honest it's hard to even type right now... a friend of mine was killed in a car wreck yesterday... I found out today in class...

left class....

She was 28. She was a single mother. She was always so full of sunshine and life.... it is so hard to believe she's gone. I knew her for such a short time and she was already so dear to me....

So sorry.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#434 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:

left class....

So sorry about your dear friend.

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#435 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather View Post

We just got our 'big present' from DH's parents. They bought us a $500 BLENDER. We do not need *A* blender, much less a $500 blender. We have a $25 blender that we got 5 years ago as a wedding gift and have used twice. I considered selling it at our yard sale this summer even. We just don't blend things!

(
$500? For a blender? Singing pigs? :

Quote:

left class....

I'm so sorry, I'm praying for your friend and her little ones.

Quote:

:

That bites!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post

On the down side, I'm in a ton of pain and I've got an itchy rash all over my body. Well.. I shouldn't say a ton of pain, I feel a heck of a lot better than I did last night, but my joints are bothering me. It's totally weird. I'm also extra depressed about my teeth, which are so ugly. It's like, I want to be happy and smile and sound cheerful, but knowing how ugly my teeth are I have to immediately clamp my jaw *shut*. It's so bloody weak.
Ouch, hope you feel better

Quote:
thanks...

i wan't just one freaking thing to be easy right now. not my whole life. just any one thing to be simple.

so, i can't go to school

i am about one more issue away from the crisis unit at the local hospital:

and to top it all off.....i'm fighting with my dr about thyroid issues. my tsh came back low. tsh is a pituitary hormone. i'd think my pituitary gland has an issue, since my thyroid labs look beautiful, and I feel physically better than i have in years. but I guess i know nothing about my body or how i feel cuz she wants me to take less thyroid so my pituitary will feel better!?!

losing it......JUST.LOSING.IT.

(note to self, and others, DO NOT listen to sad warren haynes songs when losing it.....)

you can't dance the welfare shuffle when you're crying.....just can't get the groove thing going

i need to borrow someones car for just ONE day. with it i would
pick up a scrip, retrieve the earring i lost at the resale shop in falmouth last week, grocery shop, go to the CU, go the market to get acidophilus to kill this nagging yeast infection, go to the po to mail some packages, go to the petstore to buy kitty food.....kitty is throwing up the purina crap from the corner store......, go to the hardware store so i can try to get a part to fix the space heater, and the part for my oven (looks like my very sweet but really crazy LL won't be in her right mind for a while to get oven fixed)

but, i don't have a car. and its freezing so i probably won't brave the bus because i literally get scary cold and my body shakes like i am having seizures.

is the universe trying to defeat me?

well, off to try to talk (by phone) to my professors so maybe i won't FAIL my classes
I'm sorry things are so hard right now. I actually do have an extra car I could lend if your anywhere near me (I'm in MA north of Boston).
#436 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
Sounds like a long day all around yesterday. I'm so sorry to hear it! mine actually went relatively well (though not as well as I would have liked). I made it to the assistance office and found that I was missing a bit of paperwork-- nothing difficult to get my hands on, but I won't be able to get it all back to them until Friday. Even so, my (new) caseworker said she had 30 days from my initial application date to get things together. She received the application on 13 November, so getting things in on Friday means we should be getting food stamps next week. We can deal with that.

Greatfuls today:

1. Holiday helpers-- we've been seriously blessed. : In one of the boxes I've opened, there were three "silly" little things that made me cry. I know it would probably sound funny to most people, but someone included mascara... Like, "you get to be pretty, too!" : I'm so glad to know such thoughtful people. I wish I could do more than send a homemade card to her & her family!

2. Snow! We got about 6" yesterday. I snow. I think I'd have liked it better if I'd had gloves and been able to find the scraper... also, if our scraper was about four feet long instead of a foot and a half (I'm just about 5'1", I can't reach most of the minivan windows easily even with the scraper... and I couldn't find it last night, so I had to use a random bit of cloth from the van : :shiver). Still, it was very pretty and I *hope* I can get BeanBean to run outside and play in it.

3. I started knitting a pair of longies for the Seamonkey despite my worries... it's been hiding in my backpack, the waistband is finished and (wait for it)... Bella hasn't found it yet!! That means the circular needles are still holding the project.

4. Offers of help with diapers, and some that's already arrived. The cover situation is still quite sketchy (I've never had a kid who could go from preemie/newborn to medium in an instant, they just have skinny thighs ) but if I can knit and there are enough diapers around for religiously regular changes... well, I've got a snappi and on those buns they will go!

5. Really good bagels. The ones we get from SHARE (Panera!) are way better than the bagels we buy at the store when we have food stamps. SO yummy.

6. Kids who like taking medicine. Sometimes this is actually a problem for us-- Bean in particular has been known to attempt faking sick to get some children's motrin ()-- but when they need it, I'm so glad that I can just call them, and they drink it down like nothing, even when it tastes yucky. If it's really yucky, the rule is that they can have 4 oz of anything that we have in the house to drink afterwards. This has been necessary for my nieces, but I've never even had to offer it to my kids-- they just slurp it down and ask for water. A little thing, but it *could* be so much more difficult.

7. A vehicle that works pretty well, and is relatively new. my minivan is only an '03, and while it's been in a serious accident it does run reliably and get us where we need to go. The breaks need some work, yeah; It's not *perfect*, but overall it's in great condition. Reading about car troubles (and remembering some we had with the Saturn I totalled a few years ago makes me more greatful than ever for that.

8. The kids really want to be helpful, even when they're little punks. They try.

9. Bella's talking more! I was really starting to get worried about her. :

10. my nieces told me that what they want for channuka are knitting needles and for me to teach them how to knit. Such sweet girls, and they want something inexpensive and easy-- more than anything, they want to spend time with me. Also quite a relief, because the older one is at a really hard-to-buy-for age (10.5), and she *could* have asked for something strange and expensive like an mp3 player. She's got more sense than that, though; Not only does she know that I have no money, she knows that her father is still on a bit of a guilt trip and more likely to buy such things, so she asked *him* for a CD player. Anyway, yeah-- finding two pairs of knitting needles shouldn't be difficult at all (people are always listing such things on Freecycle). The hardest part will be teaching BizzyBug, who has sensory issues (such that she still has a hard time holding a pencil and writing legibly at 7) but as I said, it's mostly about spending time together.

All I can think of for now.
i still have 9 xs bummies if youd want them.........the 3 smalls went out to another mama, but these are yours if you want them

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannienicole View Post

If you lived anywhere near me, I would be glad to help you get all your errands done .

thank you....its SOOOOO time consuming, and so cold. I'm not lazy, i would love to leisurely take the bus, catch up on my reading, knit....but the cold freaking kills me.

a classmate just emailed me and said that the prof at my earlier class said 'she would deal with it' we should just go to class. I'm gonna. I guess the teachers get a list of students that need to leave the class....this teacher isn't going to follow the rules (women's studies, go figure).

thanks mamas for being so kind and understanding. this vax thing is slaying me and it feels nice to know there is understanding. IRL people have been trying to get me to vax, but I have huge auto-immune issues and I am so scared that the vax would do something REALLY BAD to me. That's just what I don't need in my life.....more health issues.

so, off to class:

can anyone cover my bail?

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#437 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Banned

I am sitting here in tears and letting you mamas know one of my thankfuls today...

we just got a shut-off notice for our electric this morning - we haven't been able to pay the bill/prioritized our money elsewhere in 4 months. It isn't a HUGE amount (we have gas heat that is covered by the landlord, thank goodness), but still... the total due is over $200 that we don't have.

I had no idea what we were going to do to prevent the elec being shut off on monday. We haven't paid any rent yet, and don't even have enough money for the minimum required to keep the elec on.

then i checked my PMs here at MDC, and DreaminginDigital from the HH thread had PMd me letting me know that...

someone had paid a portion of our electric bill.

$100 went into our account early this morning.

I am still crying as I type. I am so thankful for the generosity of people who care SO much and ask nothing in return.

I think I'm going to cash in our jar of change (after taking the quarters for laundry out ) and see if there's enough to send out a package of clothes my DD's outgrown for another FIN. I HAVE TO pass this generosity on somehow.

#438 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhippiemama View Post
I am sitting here in tears and letting you mamas know one of my thankfuls today...

we just got a shut-off notice for our electric this morning - we haven't been able to pay the bill/prioritized our money elsewhere in 4 months. It isn't a HUGE amount (we have gas heat that is covered by the landlord, thank goodness), but still... the total due is over $200 that we don't have.

I had no idea what we were going to do to prevent the elec being shut off on monday. We haven't paid any rent yet, and don't even have enough money for the minimum required to keep the elec on.

then i checked my PMs here at MDC, and DreaminginDigital from the HH thread had PMd me letting me know that...

I am still crying as I type. I am so thankful for the generosity of people who care SO much and ask nothing in return.

I think I'm going to cash in our jar of change (after taking the quarters for laundry out ) and see if there's enough to send out a package of clothes my DD's outgrown for another FIN. I HAVE TO pass this generosity on somehow.

crying right along with you

that is so beautiful. I don't know if that person knows even remotely what they did.

that's what i'm talking about. and thats what its ALL about.

beautiful..thanks for sharing it

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#439 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauraplusmany View Post
Hi, I'm new -though have lurked on this site for a long time. .
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Welcome}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Quote:
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{[[hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Mention to coworkers how inconsiderate that was!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{[hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

3 more moms should get a UPS box today............ everyone else should get it on the 10th. Next time I am sending them USPS again... tracking = more time and $$$. :

Resistance is futile Matey
#440 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:

I'm so glad!
#441 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayinme View Post
Honestly I think people unless they are broke or have really been broke, don't get it. My FIL while he is paying the mortgage for us still doesn't quite get it, we need some minor house repairs and he keeps saying get them done.. he doesn't seem to understand that we don't have money to get stuff like the garbage disposal fixed..
Shay
You took the words right out of my mouth! Or off my fingertips!

"Why don't you just call Sears and have them fix your icemaker? television? computer?" BECAUSE THEY AREN'T NECESSITIES AND RIGHT NOW I AM TRYING TO PROVIDE THE NECESSITIES!!!!!

All that "stuff" my ex accumulated and then left when he did . . .

But along the gratitude line: He left me the best: My boys!!!!
#442 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
i still have 9 xs bummies if youd want them.........the 3 smalls went out to another mama, but these are yours if you want them

Wow. Oh Wow! I wish I was in a position to do that too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myboysmom View Post
Y

But along the gratitude line: He left me the best: My boys!!!!
Yeah Mama. Gotta keep our priorities straight.
#443 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather View Post
How well controlled is his ADD?
I know that my husband's ADHD was a HUGE factor in his constantly borking our checking account and his lack of ability to stop spending money we didn't have.
Not that everything was magically all better once he was on better meds, but it happens WAY less than it used to and tends to be an honest mistake where as before it was like "Oh yeah... I remember we were down to our last $20 and that was for gas, but I really needed a couple of beers and a burger. Sorry!"
From what he's told me, when he was in his early 20's, with health insurance through the military, he was on some meds, and as a teen, he was on meds. I think he was on Ritalin. His son is on tons of meds, but I can't say it does much for him. I think meds would help my husband and wish he could/would get on them.

As long as I've known him, no meds. We don't have health insurance or primary physicians since he left the Army in December '06.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#444 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 05:29 PM

#445 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 05:29 PM

Good afternoon! I would like to say that I have been lurking here for the past month or so and am SO inspired by the strength and kindness shown by the women here!

I am the homeschooling mom of 4 great kids, 15 yo ds, 3 yo ds, 2 yo ds, and 8 week old dd. We certainly fit into the "lower income/struggling" group. I was a WOHM with a great job at a bank, dh is a corrections officer and makes a decent wage. While I was working, we ran up debt like 2 WOH people wiht one child, who had their whole lives to pay it all off! Well, we found out we were expecting DS2 and then 30 days later, I got notice I was being laid off. Our lives have, needless to say, changed dramatically! I have stay home with the kids now, and homeschool our oldest. I worked as a waitress part-time in the evenings for about 2 years, and have been delivering papers from 3-6am Mon-Sun for about a year and a half. The pay is ok, but it is a stretch each month. I have not gone back to waitressing since having our dd, and hope that with tips and then tax return I will not have to. We'll just have to see.

I look forward to getting to know you all better, though having lurked for awhile, I do feel like I have been getting to know you already! You are a group of amazing, strong, inspiring women!!:

Marla
Mom of 4 sweet kids:
DS 15
DS 3
DS 2
DD 8 weeks
#446 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:

left class....

I am so sorry for your loss.
I know how you feel, I lost my long-time friend when she was only 33.
This was back in 2002, and I still miss her terribly.
I'm not the praying type, but I wish her little ones make it through this trauma as well as they possibly can.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#447 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barky586 View Post
PurityLake, be careful with the gas.
I have heard of folks being rear-ended and their vehicle igniting from a gas can.
Maybe the gas can would get turned over in the collision - not sure.
He didn't have the gas can in the van, they guy who drove him to get some gas had a can, which he filled, then put in our van, then gave the can back to the guy.

He ran out of gas just as he exited from the highway on another day about 10 days ago, walked to a gas station, bought a 5 gallon can, filled it with gas, walked back to the van, filled it. He came home that night and put the empty gas can on our porch where it is still sitting.
He never intended to keep a filled can in the van.
He just wanted to have one in case he needs to trek to a gas station again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barky586 View Post
Why not experiment with how many miles you can drive to a tank of gas and keep up with the odometer.
Oh, we have, I've always tracked how many miles per gallon every time I fill up, for the past three years that I've owned my van.
My mileage varies anywhere from 12 mpg to 21 mpg.
Lately, it's been staying between 11 mpg and 17 mpg.
It's quite hard to estimate with that range, so I usually go with the lowest to be safe.
So, if the tank starts out full, 200 miles later means it's down to about half a tank and it's time to refill.
This is what we'd been doing, but lately we haven't had the money to buy gas.

#448 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 05:47 PM

I'm sorry I haven't been able to keep up with this thread. It's just SO fast and big! I've tried reading through though and I'm offering lots of {{{hugs}}} and prayers and good thoughts to everyone who needs/wants them.

Well I'm on Kizoodle but so far no one has bought what I'm *selling*. I'm going to try putting something else on today and see what happens. I really want to get *buying*.

Today is my day off. Had a doctor's appointment. It went well. I'm always so nervous at doctors offices. She upped my klonopin so I can take it twice a day if I feel I need it. I should've thought about it and taken on before I went for my appointment. I bet I would've been a lot less jittery.

Anyway... not much really going on. My wedding anniversary is next week. We can't afford to do anything for it but the IL's have agreed to watch the kids this Saturday night so we can at least have some alone time.

That's about it.
#449 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 05:57 PM

My positive thoughts:

Sophia peed on the toilet this morning for the first time EVER!
Abigail slept 12 hours straight last night.
Abigail didn't insist we leave the light on in the bedroom in order to fall asleep last night.
I discovered we have one more big canister of coffee in our pantry and I had thought we were out, but we have coffee.
We still get WIC, and I love cheese.
My husband turned in the renewal application for my daughters to continue to receive their Denali Kid Care (medicaid) on Monday.
This morning, my husband planned to get up early to stop at Salvation Army for a box of food. (I'm not sure if he did, because I was asleep when he left, as usual).

#450 of 1547 Old 12-06-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:

That is wonderful!!!

I took a looooooooong nap And my Mom made me my favorite macaroni and cheese So I guess I can't be ina bad mood anymore for being snowed out of my house

It is time to go to work again, see you all tomorrow.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page