December Lower Income and/or Struggling Mama's Support Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayinme View Post
Question is, is the norm when going to a free/sliding scale clinic.. or is this strange.

I should add I also have no idea I would be charged so I don't even know if its enough of a savings to make it worth the hassle.

Shay
Sadly.. this is the norm. I am sorry you are having to deal with this on top of being sick.. it is like.. they figure what else are you going to do and so much of the info they ask about .. do they REALLY need all that?? I always feel like.. is it because I am poor (and have no other choice) that basically I am not entitled to my dignity and keeping private info private?? Many people don't give it a second thought.. but it really bothers me, personally, to have all that personal info just floating around out there.. I don't think that the security is all that tight even with HIPPA, etc. Many times they will share stats with the local health department and other various agencies..many of them have social workers on staff who screen with certain questions they ask, etc. (personal experience with that and being a non vaccinator a few years back when I took my child in for a rash), bothers me a LOT.

Mama to my tribe
#122 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 05:34 PM

mum ~ thanks for the tips... I'm totally done at the JC, the only reason I'm sticking around at this point is to see where I got accepted. But I THINK there's a chance I got into at least one of the bay area colleges I applied to ( knock on wood!! ) ... and right now I have the money to move... and what I'm thinking is, this coming semester I would just be using up financial aid money and calworks time spinning my wheels. I may as well move while I have the extra time and $$ instead of waiting to see where I got accepted and then hurrying at the last minute.

HOWEVER this means 1) I'm betting on getting into a university that I may NOT have been accepted to.... 2) that I'd have to fill out all kinds of extra paperwork at the calworks office..... 3) that I'd be giving up my excellent health provider..... and 4) I'd be leaving in the middle of my son's school year.

BUT if I wait on my son's school, I'd only have barely a month to move before Fall semester starts in the Bay Area, because of my ds's ridiculous elementary school schedule.

AUGGGHHH!!!
#123 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitful4Him View Post
If your area doesn't have a health food store that accepts food stamps.. maybe someday some motivated families/members of the community could form a co op? Here is our local co op http://www.rivercityfoodcoop.org/ It is located in the downtown area (to try to make healthy foods more available to families who would not possibly be able to access the "higher end" health food stores. They special order stuff.. and besides accepting food stamps, if you qualify for food stamps, you get an additonal discount on items (that are already really reasonable). My area isn't very crunchy.. but this co op rocks. I hope that the idea can catch on in other areas.. I am sure that many areas that don't have one would have enough interested families to support one.. and there are tons of grants and stuff out there for small business start ups..
I'm so not that motivated... not these days. : It's a really, really cool thought, though.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#124 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 05:35 PM

Hi Ladies...Happy Sunday.

OK..ok...my amazing thing that happened at work. As some of you know i was working part-time at Buil A Bear in the mall. It wasn't many hours, but it was fun and i liked dealing with all the kids. However, with moving and everything, i needed a bit more money and quickly, so i went and got a waitressing job at the restaurant two blocks away. this in and of itself was a huge deal for me because i have never felt "pretty" enough to be a waitress. (Lots of past issues there.) Anyway, got the job and have been working it for a few weeks.

Friday night i served a private dinner for the board and CEO's of a airplane parts manufacturing company. While they were having dessert, the president of the company pulled me to the side and told me what an excellent server i was and asked me to "serve" his private Xmas party at his home. 6 hours of work...will be getting paid...**wait for it**.......$500 cash. HOLY CRAP!!!!! Of course i said yes. That's next month's rent taken care of right there.

The money isn't the biggest thing though. It's knowing that i am doing so well that someone noticed and offered me an opportunity. The self-esteem boost is amazing.

i'm still packing my butt off and trying to get things organized here. i have to go to court on Wednesday because even though i am moving out on Thursday, my current landlord still wants to try to evict me. Makes no sense to me in the least.

i'll try to post as much as i can in the next few days...
#125 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 05:49 PM

I haven't had a chance to read anything from today yet. Just had to post this.

Gah! What are we going to do? On the way home from the store today there was a dog wandering down the middle of the road. Just all lahdedah and stuff. Had a collar, so I stopped to check it. Rabies tag only. Called the # but the clinic was closed today. Called the afterhours # and they gave us another # to call. Called the other # that has a rabies tag database. The # on the tag wasn't listed. They're going to call the clinic tomorrow directly and see if they can find the owner. So, in the meantime we have a dog. He seems older, was limping a little because of a small injury on his front leg. Very friendly. Obviously vaxxed against rabies. He's in our backyard right now. We can't afford dog food though. Ugh. I'm going to print out lost dog fliers tomorrow and hopefully we'll find his home soon... but I couldn't just leave him to wander around.
#126 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Doula View Post
So I just listed my wedding dress and accessories and violin on craigslist so I am hoping to make some money! Send me goodluck vibes!
can you PM me the listing? :

#127 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 06:15 PM

Ugg, okay. So things aren't as good as I thought : As I said my DH got paid early and we were able to pay rent and car insurance. We only get paid once a month from DH. I am a SAHM and clean houses to earn extra money because what my DH makes only covers Rent, car insurance and half grocerys. So usually we have enough from what I make to cover everything, but this month that is not the case. I only have 2 jobs this month maybe three. Which means I am short $500 for bills *sob* Man this is really getting to me. We put on a good face that we have it all together and really we do, but just scrapping by each month is really starting to take its toll on me.

We are blessed and fortunate enough that we have a roof over our head, cars that work and we can insure and food on our table, but this really sucks. I can't get a REAL job because daycare would be outrageous and wouldn't even be worth it. I am a doula, but there is no work right now that I can find and nobody seems to need their house cleaned anymore I am studying to take the Firefighters exam come February 1st, so man am I crossing my fingers! I really really want this! We are a fairly young couple, I am only 20(21 on Chrismas) and my husband is 26 and is studying to become a skydiving instructor, but that doesn't matter, right now does.

We are blessed in another way, my father died in the line of duty(firefighter) and I have a settlement from him that I get on my birthday that will allow us to pay off half our debt, which will really free us up and then our taxes will take care of the other half, which will free up $300 a month! You don't even know how I am counting down the days to be free!!

I am just ready to stop worrying about money. I want to have a savings account and to have insurance for myself and my daughter. I am currently applying to get her back on the states CHP+ and just maybe I migh qualify as well, which would be so wonderful! I just can't wait to get out of this mess!

Sorry I think this turned more into a rant. I am very thankful to have this thread. Most people IRL just don't understand

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
#128 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMommie View Post
can you PM me the listing? :
Sure I can!

I really am sad to depart with it! I never got to wear it, but money is more important right now

#129 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayinme View Post
WTF???? ::, times like this I miss being broke in Chicago, at least you could go to the county hospital and you may have to wait all day but at least you got seen the same day. Back home no one would ever ask for all the stuff places here ask for :. Sigh... really gotta think on this one, but the fact that I have to wait to be seen is really making me say screw it, ebay some more stuff and just pay. Only thing is I really could use the money I make from ebaying to take care of other stuff, I just don't know that I can wait weeks to see someone since right now even if this clinic scheduled sooner rather than later, it'd be at least 2 weeks with records coming from Chicago. Ugh...

Shay
This may be totally not kosher, but I'm going to say it anyway. Just say you haven't seen a dr. since you were 10 and you don't remember who it was. They're not going to search, and what's the relevance? I'd do it just because I'm lazy, because I'm totally indiscrete about my personal info.
#130 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
So I just listed my wedding dress and accessories and violin on craigslist so I am hoping to make some money! Send me goodluck vibes!
Good luck! I just rented a violin for dd, and it was over $200! I have absolutely no musical ability so I was clueless. I thought she could BUY one for that.
#131 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris' Mom View Post
Good luck! I just rented a violin for dd, and it was over $200! I have absolutely no musical ability so I was clueless. I thought she could BUY one for that.
Yeah, I am listing mine for $150. It is in PERFECT condition. I bought it for about $500 couple years ago. I just have no use for it anymore and can't justify is sitting in my closet for 5 years, kwim?

#132 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 06:26 PM

Jessica~ That dress is gorgeous!! Would you be able to take measurements? Pretty please?

#133 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post

I was thinking this morning about the UMUM case law. Gosh time flies. It has to been last year at this time that I read it as I am no longer working on any employment type cases and have not for almost a year. I do straight family law now (I am a paralegal). There is an attorney here in Washington State that specializes in claims against UNUM. If you want I can get see if I can find his name again. He might be willing to talk to you and tell you what he knows about the company.
If you can dig it out without to much effort that would be nice. He might even know another attorney out here. I'm really curious what this co. is up to, if someone can make a living specializing in cases against them. On the other hand, I suppose insurance companies get sued all the time.
#134 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris' Mom View Post
To be honest, I'm very lucky. There are those who can't work, and get nothing. I have 3 beautiful children, a close-knit family, food on the table, clothes on my back and roof over my head, great friends, access to MDC . . . So many blessings. I'm feeling better already.
Isn't those great things to be blessed with!? I am truly happy for the same!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captivatedlife
Ok. starting to freak out again.

I hate this

#135 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Jessica~ That dress is gorgeous!! Would you be able to take measurements? Pretty please?
Absolutely, which measurements do you need?

Okay, so I tried to measure the dress and I was having a hard time

So, I checked and I still fit in the dress and so I took my measurements. I hope that is okay.

I am 5'6'' and the dress is long enough for me to wear it with short and tall heels. My bust is 36-37'', waist is 30'' and hips are 38''. Man, lol, talk about body changes once you have a baby

Let me know if you need anything else

#136 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchsLove View Post

OK..ok...my amazing thing that happened at work. As some of you know i was working part-time at Buil A Bear in the mall. It wasn't many hours, but it was fun and i liked dealing with all the kids. However, with moving and everything, i needed a bit more money and quickly, so i went and got a waitressing job at the restaurant two blocks away. this in and of itself was a huge deal for me because i have never felt "pretty" enough to be a waitress. (Lots of past issues there.) Anyway, got the job and have been working it for a few weeks.

Friday night i served a private dinner for the board and CEO's of a airplane parts manufacturing company. While they were having dessert, the president of the company pulled me to the side and told me what an excellent server i was and asked me to "serve" his private Xmas party at his home. 6 hours of work...will be getting paid...**wait for it**.......$500 cash. HOLY CRAP!!!!! Of course i said yes. That's next month's rent taken care of right there.

The money isn't the biggest thing though. It's knowing that i am doing so well that someone noticed and offered me an opportunity. The self-esteem boost is amazing.

i'm still packing my butt off and trying to get things organized here. i have to go to court on Wednesday because even though i am moving out on Thursday, my current landlord still wants to try to evict me. Makes no sense to me in the least.

i'll try to post as much as i can in the next few days...
Awesome!! Congrats!

[Okay, I really need to attempt the multiquote]
#137 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 06:34 PM

Jessica~ The bust, waist & hips.

#138 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchsLove View Post

OK..ok...my amazing thing that happened at work. 6 hours of work...will be getting paid...**wait for it**.......$500 cash. HOLY CRAP!!!!! Of course i said yes. That's next month's rent taken care of right there.

Wowsers!! I am so excited for you That is so great and congratulations.

Mama to my tribe
#139 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Ugg, okay. So things aren't as good as I thought : Sorry I think this turned more into a rant. I am very thankful to have this thread. Most people IRL just don't understand
((hugs)) I am sorry.. I hope that things turn better soon. It is always hard to have those *extra* tight months..

Mama to my tribe
#140 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydidit View Post

hopefully we'll find his home soon... but I couldn't just leave him to wander around.
I hope that you can find his owners.. I am a softie like that too.. Dh is all like.. no, we can't ..we can't..we can't.. and meanwhile.. my maternal animal lovin instinct, LOL.. I understand. I hope that you find the owners quickly though and that this doggie doesn't end up an unexpected keeper..

Mama to my tribe
#141 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 06:46 PM

Judgment from other people really sucks. That is all.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#142 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydidit View Post

Gah! What are we going to do? On the way home from the store today there was a dog wandering down the middle of the road. Just all lahdedah and stuff. Had a collar, so I stopped to check it. Rabies tag only. Called the # but the clinic was closed today. Called the afterhours # and they gave us another # to call. Called the other # that has a rabies tag database. The # on the tag wasn't listed. They're going to call the clinic tomorrow directly and see if they can find the owner. So, in the meantime we have a dog. He seems older, was limping a little because of a small injury on his front leg. Very friendly. Obviously vaxxed against rabies. He's in our backyard right now. We can't afford dog food though. Ugh. I'm going to print out lost dog fliers tomorrow and hopefully we'll find his home soon... but I couldn't just leave him to wander around.
What an kind thing to do. Too many people would just leave it ( When we adopted our rescues they micro-chipped them. Is there a vet open today or local to you tomorrow that could scan them and see if he is chipped? Most vets we have used were happy to do it and if asked, did it for free. And when our muttlet's have wandered in the past, getting them back because someone cared enough to find the owner healed a HUGE hole in my heart because they are a part of our family and losing them just tore me up.

Hi again and sorry for mostly lurking I'm exhausted when I get home and just can't find the energy to reply much. After looking at two computer screens 9+ hours a day, most of the time it's all I can do to even check my e-mail! But please know I'm always sending good vibes and crossing fingers and hugs even if I don't get to respond as much as I would like.

((((((((((hugs)))))))))) to all, thanks for letting me lurk and did I mention how much I appreciate this thread and the people here? It never fails to remind me that there ARE people in the world who care about someone other than themselves and that's priceless. I can't think of a single other group that's so supportive of each other.

Question: Does anyone know of any other online places besides EBay that have reasonable deals on childrens clothes? My sister is in need of various things for her 1 yr old (like a warmish winter jacket asap) and I'm having zero luck finding any There is a certain one listed on EBay that is PERFECT but it doesn't end for 3 more days and he needs one NOW (

Craiglist and freecycle are not very active on my area and I'm out of ideas of where else to look??

Also, I mentioned before I'm a Cash Aid and Food Stamp worker in Cali and I would love to help anyone who has any questions about the programs. I know one person asked last month and I can't find the post to reply This thread has been SO busy the past two months and my computer runs so slowly I either miss it or can't seem to go back and find questions if there are any. So PLEASE feel free to PM me if I can help! I may not know the answer by heart but I can sure try to find out. Even if your in another sate. After seeing all the other ways y'all help each other I feel badly that's all I really have to offer right now but if helping make the process a smoother and better experience for anyone is of any use I'm MORE than happy to give it!

I'm also a Military Wife and I have soe great contacts for Military familes who could use some help.

And thanks again for just being you (the collective you) - it really restores my faith in humanity and lifts my day.

DJ
#143 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Jessica~ The bust, waist & hips.
I am 5'6'' and the dress is long enough for me to wear it with short and tall heels. My bust is 36-37'', waist is 30'' and hips are 38''. Man, lol, talk about body changes once you have a baby

#144 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 07:02 PM

So, I know it's been said before (I've seen it in my lurkdom ) , but I would just like to re-vent that being poor is exhausting. My dh and I both work long hours, at decent jobs, and still struggle. Frustrating, to say the least.

I'm tired. I'm sick. I want a nap. And I have to keep typing stupid ghostwritten articles about ridiculous topics (not that all my work is that bad, just this assignment)....and we still don't have the money to pay rent. We won't until the end of the week, most likely, when we will also get hit with a weeks worth of late fees. General suckiness abounds at my house today.

And all the money stress seems to end up on my shoulders, as I'm the one who pays the bills and does the budget. Dh understands that we're broke, but I doubt he understands exactly HOW broke that is. He's not overspending or anything, he just fails to fathom why it stresses me out so much.

We're in debt up to our eyeballs, with no emergency savings in place. I'd give anything to get out of this situation - stop living paycheck to paycheck....maybe December will be our month.

Sandi

Sandi - Work at home writer mama to Zoe the monkey girl 9/06 and Luna the zen baby 8/08
#145 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOnDaEdge View Post

Question: Does anyone know of any other online places besides EBay that have reasonable deals on childrens clothes?

I am not sure if you have any that are near you, but here in Colorado, there are twin groups and they have sales, like garage sales, twice a year. I was able to get dd's winter wardrobe there this year for cheap! I know they all do them at different times of year, but maybe they have one by chance near you soon. Other then that I don't know what else. s I hope she is able to find one soon!

#146 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 07:06 PM

Wow....we are already on 4 pages!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#147 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
Wow....we are already on 4 pages!
How many messages per page can you see?

#148 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvsquared View Post

And all the money stress seems to end up on my shoulders, as I'm the one who pays the bills and does the budget. Dh understands that we're broke, but I doubt he understands exactly HOW broke that is. He's not overspending or anything, he just fails to fathom why it stresses me out so much.

We're in debt up to our eyeballs, with no emergency savings in place. I'd give anything to get out of this situation - stop living paycheck to paycheck....maybe December will be our month.

Sandi
I can totally relate, dh is great in that he spends 0 on himself but like you I am the bill payer/budgeter so I am aware of just how broke we are, also dh has never been broke before so he doesn't quite get it, if that makes any sense.

Last night dd ran into the kitchen cabinets, got a busted lip, bloody and shaken up and once I calmed down my mind was immediately thinking please don't let her need medical care. Yeah, if it was critical we could ask FIL for more money but seeing as how he is paying our mortgage at the moment I don't want to ask him for anything. He has asked what dd needs for Christmas and even that makes me feel uneasy, I figure the fact that he is paying to keep us housed is gift enough. Maybe I am being silly but this is a hard place for me,, at the same time I am so thankful for his help.

Thankful that at least with him covering the mortgage I have been able to pay everyone else though I am getting ready to throw in the towel with the credit cards that are maxed, minimum payments are killing me and frankly that money could go to me paying for some medical care.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#149 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
Judgment from other people really sucks. That is all.

Don't let it get you down.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#150 of 1547 Old 12-02-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOnDaEdge View Post
Also, I mentioned before I'm a Cash Aid and Food Stamp worker in Cali and I would love to help anyone who has any questions about the programs. I know one person asked last month and I can't find the post to reply This thread has been SO busy the past two months and my computer runs so slowly I either miss it or can't seem to go back and find questions if there are any. So PLEASE feel free to PM me if I can help! I may not know the answer by heart but I can sure try to find out. Even if your in another sate. After seeing all the other ways y'all help each other I feel badly that's all I really have to offer right now but if helping make the process a smoother and better experience for anyone is of any use I'm MORE than happy to give it!

DJ
That would have been me - here's my question:

Quote:
I have a question - if you don't mind.

I'm not sure if CA has it like TX, but whats the deal with One-Time TANF and the whole work requirements / CHOICES requirements? Is OT {One Time} TANF exempt from those?

I qualify for either OT or regular TANF {my choice}, but don't want to do the whole CHOICES thing due to manditory Daycare for DD {which isn't worth it IMO due to her allergies & health issues - besides gramma is home 24/7}. So I've been turning them both down, and just getting FS & medicaid.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page