December Lower Income and/or Struggling Mama's Support Thread - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ediesmom View Post
::

to the mighty loaf!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchsLove View Post
Jaime...looking at those pics makes me want to whip out the butter and dig in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhippiemama View Post
what beautiful bread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayinme View Post
Jaime, that loaf looks tasty. Send some over to go with my chicken stew tonight.

Shay
Quote:
Originally Posted by natural_mama89 View Post
congrats on your first loaf of bread Jamie!!!!! It looks yummy.

Welcome and to happyhippiemama. I know what depression is like. I hope things get better for you, and that you can at least get the help you need with bills, food, etc. I was under the impression that you automatically qualify for food stamps if your income does not cover your rent and necessary bills. I get WIC and it actually helps quite a bit. There have been times when all the food we had in our house was WIC prety much, and we have gotten by.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyLizards View Post
Yummy!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amydidit View Post
Mmm... bread and chicken stew sound yummy. That bread looks terrific. We're having spaghetti again for dinner : I'm so sick of spaghetti.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CluckyInAZ View Post
Hello everyone, I am new to this thread so here is my introduction;

My family just moved to a little rural town in southeastern Arizona on Oct. 31st. Dh and I are 26, we have a 2.5 yr old ds and a baby due any second. We were living in the big city with my husband's grandparents because we thought we couldn't afford to rent an apartment anymore, dh was also working for them at the family automotive business as an office manager. Living with his grandparents for a year led us to depression and started ruining my health so we decided to run far away and move to the country where we could qualify to actually buy a house.

We thought dh could find a job while we were in escrow, or shortly after moving, but it took him a month. Now he works at the hospital in a nearby town for almost half of what he made before but our bills require his old paycheck, which we never thought was very much in the first place. So now we are in a tight spot. He is going to have to find a second job and even then we might not be able to pay the bills. To get the job at the hospital he had to sign saying he will work there at least 6 months, so switching to a different higher paying job isn't an option.

My dad is going to pay our mortgage payment this month and half of it next month, but after that we are on our own. He can't afford to continue after that. He paid half of our closing costs on the house too, so we are very grateful for all of his help.

We also share an SUV that has 186,000 miles on it so I am kinda worried about needing to rely on it. We already had a sticky situation with a flat tire that really drove home how scary it is to not have a back up vehicle. We are in the boonies so there is no other way for him to get to work. We were supposed to be taking a backup vehicle with us, but it never ended up being repaired before we left.

We have no money left in checking or savings, but the "broke" is just about to start but hasn't quite made itself felt yet, so I am trying to prepare and get our ducks in a row to survive out here. I really don't want to crawl back with my tail between my legs after everyone helped us get here and we love it here so much. So I am here for advice and support. I spent today looking into assistance programs and it looks like we could get food stamps and WIC but I want to wait until after the baby is born to apply.

That is all I have time to write for now. Thank you all for the inspiration reading this thread has already given me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenetabbie View Post
Iris' Mom, thank you so much. I feel a lot better now that I turned the heat up (it was at 50 since we were on E for the weekend) and ate a huge plate of pasta (Mmmmm comfort food). I know it is really something I should not freak out about, since freaking out does not good, but I feel so sick when the bills come in and I have to pick which ones to pay, KWIM?

Jaime, that bread looks fantastic

HappyHippie- . Did you check out www.benefitscheckup.org/? I know it is aimed at senior citizens, but it is very helpful for all age groups. You put in your info (it's anonymous), and it generates a report for all the programs you might qualify for, links, how to apply and what you need to apply. I used it to see if we qualified for food stamps and LIHEAP before I spent a whole lot of time gaterhing all my stuff to copy and send out (which costs some money and is, IMO, a pita to do for a rejection).

Welcome aboard Clucky, I hope you find this little group as helpful and supportive as I have .

ediesmom, I looked at modestneeds, and they look fabulous... but you need a scanner or fax (or access to one). Just so you all know if you want to apply!
Thank you for all of the bread comments And welcome Clucky!

DH and I enjoyed the small loaf Turns out I should have used self rising flour instead of multipurpose, so I will try again tomorrow. I will perfect the bread. I need to cut costs any way that I can, and let's face it, baking bread is cheaper than buying it, at least where I live.

It snowed today in WV.

My thankful list:
I am thankful to have a job that is only a few miles from my house so that I only need gas once a month.
I am thankful for the warm flannel sheets to help offset the 55 degrees I keep my house at
And I am even thankful for the furry things that hog said flannel sheets

Seriously, I love all of you guys. You make me smile with your wit, and you lift me up when I am down :

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#242 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Jaime View Post
I am thankful for the warm flannel sheets to help offset the 55 degrees I keep my house at
And I am even thankful for the furry things that hog said flannel sheets

Seriously, I love all of you guys. You make me smile with your wit, and you lift me up when I am down :
aren't furry things the best??? I used to have a wolf/husky cross when I was a kid who would sleep in bed with me {he hung off both ends } and it made the nites so much warmer {we lived in michigan at the time!}
#243 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

justmama... maybe the "universe" wants to help you?

Eight boxes went out and 3 cards. They all weighed over 100lbs all together! :

Let me know when you all get them!

Resistance is futile Matey
#244 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 01:07 AM

The other night I was using just the flannel top sheet, and one of the cats was curled up on top of me, sleeping. Then I went to pull the other blanket up, and the kitty was not happy to be sitting on the uncomfortable blanket, she really preferred the flannel. So she started jumping up and down on top of me to show her unhappiness

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#245 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 01:10 AM

Justmama- that is so sweet of the neighbors to want to help you like that

ediesmom- I filled out all the stuff online to try to get help paying our stupid tax bills (why on earth do I have to pay to work and pay taxes on my income!?), but it said at the end that I had to fax or scan the bill in so they can see it. : I will look again though, thanks for the suggestion... maybe I misread it

Ahhh jaime you are so lucky to have flannel sheets! I had some, but they got holes in them so I made them into curtain liners (which work very well, BTW!). We are having what I call "3 dog nights" here... all three dogs pile on the bed with us to keep warm in this weather

I am sorry that pasta upsets your stomach so Nature That sucks. Is it the wheat? (I am nosy, please forgive me).

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#246 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 01:15 AM

I found a great deal on them. I analyzed the sheets for months before I bought them, like I do everything I am glad I did it though, I can leave the heat practically off at night and we are fine.

#247 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 01:18 AM

!!! 13 pages already!!

~ we had rice and beans again for dinner last night... my version of spaghetti, since pasta and sauce is more expensive here than rice and beans or rice with cheap canned chili, and I found some only-mildly freezer burned hot dogs in my freezer!! SCORE! so we had rice with hot-dog beans.

~ home-made bread, hoorah! I need to whip up a few loaves of that too. I feel like I never have the time though.

~ Nature s on the CD'ing... I did that for awhile with my dd and... I just couldn't keep up with it. hand-washing and hang-drying and everything, plus Everything Else... or even machine washing. It was just Too Much. I do not condemn your decision.

~ justmama... I know that feeling, yeah. People have made the same offer to me in the past and... it's really hard to accept. In general I'm still proud enough that I'd rather only get my kids a few small things than let someone buy them toys for them. :
#248 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenetabbie View Post

I am sorry that pasta upsets your stomach so Nature That sucks. Is it the wheat? (I am nosy, please forgive me).
I honestly have no idea! I've never been tested for anything dietary so I'm not sure. TMI warning here.. I do know that I often have looser BM than I want and that dairy, pasta, and meats are when it happens. What that means I have no clue

Maybe that I should go vegan?

(btw.. I know this is MDC, but the BM I was referring to was not breastmilk or biomom )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura_Kitten
~ Nature s on the CD'ing... I did that for awhile with my dd and... I just couldn't keep up with it. hand-washing and hang-drying and everything, plus Everything Else... or even machine washing. It was just Too Much. I do not condemn your decision.

I'm so glad someone understands! If you couldn't tell.. its been kinda a : topic for me. I try to give myself props that at least I'm not deluding myself.. but I still hear people in my head saying, "If you really wanted to, you'd find a way" blah blah and other unhelpful things..

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#249 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 01:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'm so glad someone understands! If you couldn't tell.. its been kinda a topic for me. I try to give myself props that at least I'm not deluding myself.. but I still hear people in my head saying, "If you really wanted to, you'd find a way" blah blah and other unhelpful things..
I definitely get the not wanting to CD thing. See my siggie for more information
#250 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
I honestly have no idea! I've never been tested for anything dietary so I'm not sure. TMI warning here.. I do know that I often have looser BM than I want and that dairy, pasta, and meats are when it happens. What that means I have no clue ..
Gastro problems can be a sign of a food allergy or intolerance.

Celiacs many times have cocurring issues with other foods.

You might want to consider getting tested to make sure it's not either as they are bad.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Resistance is futile Matey
#251 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 02:40 AM

I am thinking about taking this class next semester:
Wealth, Power & Justice: Course Description: What is the proper attitude toward wealth and poverty? Do the rich have an obligation to help the poor? How should we balance a commitment to human equality and to individual liberty? How are we to determine whether a society's distribution of wealth and power is just or unjust? What methods constitute legitimate means of achieving social change? This course explores alternative religious perspectives on these and other ethical questions that arise in connection with contemporary social, political, and economic life.

Sounds interesting. I am for sure taking:
Women Writers
Self & Society
Women & Law

I really want to take Women & Religion and Womens Health, but they are both full. I keep checking back, though, hoping that maybe a seat will open up in this class.

#252 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 02:54 AM

Quote:
With my last baby I wanted to and had plans to.. but I had to be honest with myself.. I just don't have it in me to deal with cloth diapers on top of everything I deal with. 100% of the childcare and home duties are my responsibility and I just can't add more.. there are a lot of "reasons" why I can't.. like, I can't run the washer that much, there is no place to hang them in the sun here at all, I can't afford the start up cost, yada yada... but the reality the REAL reason is that I don't think mentally I could handle it. I struggle with keeping on top of things, anxiety, depression and all that jazz. (I have an alphabet soup of dx's, unmedicated by choice)

I feel guilty about it, which is why I sound like I'm writing my own defense here. Its one parenting area where I wasn't able to live up to my own standards.
Oh, don't feel guilty! You do what is right for you and your family! I CD for 10 months and I had to stop. Mentally I couldn't take doing them anymore. They were causing me more stress then it was worth. I realized I was not a failure if I were to use sposies. I did what was right for us and now I am better for it! s

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
#253 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 03:01 AM

Three things I am thankful for:

1) my mom sending me $200 for the kids birthday/christmas presents!!! she rocks (sometimes!) I was able to shop for presents and food, put gas in the car, and have some left over to put towards a bill.
2)my apprenticeship which starts tomorrow!
3)my kids. my ds2 used the potty for the first time yesterday, my dd wants a sleeping bag soooo badly that she made herself one tonight by using clothespins to hold a blanket folded in two. darn smart for 4! my teen for just being so sweet and lovable (when he's not hungry and hormonal)

I also have some goodies that I want to share (now that I can afford to post stuff!) I just got back from a friend my 1st size cloth diapers and wool wraps, also wool tights and a tiny wool undershirt, I'm happy to ship them to a mama that needs them and I know a few of the mamas here are having babies soon. Any takers? PM me because I don't always manage to get time to read all of the thread. They are organic cotton, shaped with velcro closers, cotton inserts, and wool covers, all in pretty good shape because they are only the first size. My kids have been in the 2nd size continuously for 4 years now and they are so not in good shape anymore! Also there is a very nice cotton baby sleeping bag.

Just read all the comments about cd or sposies and wanted to say that although I totally love cd, I wouldn't make myself a martyr over them, and I use sposies when I'm overwhelmed or out and about.

I'm off to bed now because I have to get up early tomorrow and go to work - as an apprentice! Can you tell I'm excited
#254 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 03:07 AM

3 Things I am thankful for-

1. My family is healthy, happy and fed
2. That things just always seem to work them selves out for the better!
3. My DH has a job even though it doesn't pay too well and he hates, but it is still there!

There are so many other things that I am thankful for I don't think I could list them all! I want to thank you ladies so much! I have only been here for what...three days and you have all helped to uplift me with your attitudes and outlooks! Life is hard (I am sure we can all atest to this) and it just helps so much to know that you are not alone. I am so happy to know so many strong women s!

#255 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Jaime View Post
Okay, so it is too small to make DH's sandwiches out of, but for my first ever attempt at baking, I would say I did pretty well

My loaf is small, but it is mighty

http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL568.../291402019.jpg

http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL568.../291402021.jpg
Great Loaf! I love making bread! I really should start making it again, it is so much yummier then store bought bread! Enjoy!

#256 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 03:21 AM

Well, my last try at the multi-quote thing worked (for the most part) so here goes nothing (practice makes perfect right *grins*

[QUOTE=happyhippiemama;9901546]Hi mommas.

DP's income is $1200/month.

Also planning on cutting DD back to part-time at daycare in January if I can arrange my classes correctly. That will save us $150/month.

The baby doesn't count as a person till s/he is born, and the three of us don't qualify for food stamps. How is that possible, I tell ya? QUOTE]

You have an incoming PM in a few minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
BUT I called the food stamps office today to ask about whether or not I was getting an actual appt to apply(here you fill out the preliminary application and they mail you an appt time). It was two weeks ago I put it in and haven't heard back. The receptionist wouldn't tell me whether or not I had been processed but she said they have 30 days to respond. So we shouldn't eat for 30 days??????: I know they have a ton on their plates this time of year, more so than the usual overload of cases, but 30 days????? That's so frustrating. I have to struggle for a month before I know whether or not they will even help me!

It should be 30 days to PROCESS the application - not 30 days to respond. If you want to PM me your state I can check the regulations but FS is pretty set in stone about that for any state since it's actually a Federal program

Here's s ometing I'm struggling with: I had one of the moms are the bus stop come by my house today and tell me that her entire family would like to adopt the girls and I for christmas. She gave me some paper and told me to write down the toys and games I would like the girls to have for christmas and a grocery list and she and her family would all chip in to adopt us and provide a good christmas. Everything would be wrapped and labeled from Santa so that I could just buy a few small things from me. And I tried telling her that we were doing okay and that it was not necessary but she really wants to help o ut I guess. I"m having trouble accepting it. I know she's doing this out of the goodness of her heart but it's embarrassing to get this kind of help and for it to come so directly from someone I really don't know. I mean, our kids are in the same class at school and friendly enough to play together at the bus stop and the playground in our neighborhood but other than that, I barely know her. And I'm having trouble writing down things for a list. I don't want to accept her kindness but I can't find a nice way to say it. Anyone ever in this situation???? It's so sweet of her, yet so embarrassing.
Please don't be embarrased to take her up on her offer. It was probably hard for her to approach you not knowing if you would become offended, ouraged, etc. And many people apply the "pay it forward" principle. It may well be that at some point in her life someone did something similar to what she want's to do for you and now she finds herself in a position to offer to someone else. If you didn't find her to be coming across with a condensending, better than you, pity kind of attitude please think about letting her do something nice for you and yours. Having been on both sides of this kind of situation, personally I love finally being in a place in my life where I can "pay it forward" in gratitude that someone did something like that for me in the past KWIM? And when (not if, WHEN) you have the opportunity to do the same no one has any doubts that you will.

CluckyInAZ - somehow I missed your quote when I was multi quoting - so sorry I would encourage you to apply for both FS and WIC before the babe is born. The offices often have sick children in them and wading through the paperwork is a LOT eaiser if you don't have a newborn demanding your attention. And if you already have a case established, adding the babe when he/she comes is a very easy process.

HUGS and good thoughts and stay warm (except for you LL - I'll be doing the same for you but substituting some cooler weather rather than a stay warm heheheh).

DJ
#257 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
With my last baby I wanted to and had plans to.. but I had to be honest with myself.. I just don't have it in me to deal with cloth diapers on top of everything I deal with. 100% of the childcare and home duties are my responsibility and I just can't add more.. there are a lot of "reasons" why I can't.. like, I can't run the washer that much, there is no place to hang them in the sun here at all, I can't afford the start up cost, yada yada... but the reality the REAL reason is that I don't think mentally I could handle it. I struggle with keeping on top of things, anxiety, depression and all that jazz. (I have an alphabet soup of dx's, unmedicated by choice)

I feel guilty about it, which is why I sound like I'm writing my own defense here. Its one parenting area where I wasn't able to live up to my own standards.
i should have said why I was asking i freecycled 12 small bummies in great shape thinking dd1 would want them......not at all! she is fine with sposies. So I was actually offering, then got distracted and didn't finish my thought

sorry....don't feel guilty, please. I didn't cd....it was too much. its a hard thing to follow through with ,,,,I made it a few weeks and gave it up..they made great burp cloths

I have 12 bummies in size small (a few xs) if anyone wants them. they are plain white in really good condition..pm me

i need to finish typing a paper for this mornings class..... i'll check back

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#258 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Okay I need to vent whine cry pout etc.
I went to the TMJ specialist yesterday. On the positive side I really like him a lot negative side his practice does not bill insurance so you have to pay up front. Yesterday's visit was $300 which I had to rob Paul to get. Anyway long and short when I have all kind of problems the most serious being my tongue is cutting off my airway when I sleep. He has not figured out a long term solution yet but the short term solution is going to cost me $2700. : It might as well be a million. My insurance will reimburse us at least half of that. I have no idea where I am going to come up with that kind of money. After everything they did yesterday I got a huge migraine. So I tossed and turned most of the night. On top of that I had a misunderstanding with the guy who I am doing work for now. I agreed to cut my fees in half for him when I picked up another state. I did not get the other state until this week. Well he thought my fees were going to be cut in half last week. Anyway long and short I am only going to get half of my pay for last week. So much for that budget. This is actually a good thing which it does not sound like it. By cutting my fees in half I picked up the long term contract.

Heidi
#259 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
It snowed today in WV.
Not everywhere in WV I am sad, as all we got was crappy grey weather and a few flurries. That is all

Sandi - Work at home writer mama to Zoe the monkey girl 9/06 and Luna the zen baby 8/08
#260 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
Okay I need to vent whine cry pout etc.
I went to the TMJ specialist yesterday. On the positive side I really like him a lot negative side his practice does not bill insurance so you have to pay up front. Yesterday's visit was $300 which I had to rob Paul to get. Anyway long and short when I have all kind of problems the most serious being my tongue is cutting off my airway when I sleep. He has not figured out a long term solution yet but the short term solution is going to cost me $2700. : It might as well be a million. My insurance will reimburse us at least half of that. I have no idea where I am going to come up with that kind of money. After everything they did yesterday I got a huge migraine. So I tossed and turned most of the night.

I have TMJ, it sucks. After thousands in surgery, I'm not any better because state insurance dragged their heels on approving the other side. Can't fix one side of your jaw and not the other yk? So.. all that money was wasted. Jaw surgery a bust. : Its been 10 years now since I've been able to open my mouth. You kinda learn to live with TMJ when you have no choice..

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#261 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Banned

So I was brave and talked to the daycare director when I picked up DD yesterday. They have 3 kids on the waiting list for full-time, so if we move DD to part-time there's virtually no chance of getting her back into full-time. AND there's only an afternoon part-time spot available.

I wanted to send DD part-time in the mornings - it's when all the educational stuff is being done, and the classes that I really really want to take in the spring are morning classes. I had dreams of picking up DD after class, having lunch with her, putting her down for nap, and actually *gasp* studying every day. But alas.

So DP and I talked about it forever last night, and decided just to do it. We're taking her down to part-time afternoons. I'll register for other classes that will do just fine, just not the ones I was excited about, yk? And this way I can get a second shift part-time job on the days my classes end early, instead of having to find a job that doesn't start til after DP gets home from HIS job.

We're having a tough time with our decision. We need to save the $150/month in tuition. But now we're paying $525 for DD to nap, play outside, and watch movies at daycare (which is pretty much all they do after lunch). :

My mom says not to forget that I can give her the educ part in the mornings, and just to consider the daycare to be "social time" for DD, and just as important. And it's only til spring semester's over, then she'll be home with me for the summer, and to kindy in the fall.

So there we are with that.

And now a quick question (I almost typed out the whole situation, but decided I really just need suggestions):

Would you

A) put 4yoDD in a backless booster OR booster with a back in the front seat of a car (no airbags) if that was the only available seat with a shoulder seat belt?

B) put DD in the back seat on the backless booster with only a lap belt?

or

C) not take DD in that car?
#262 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:

I have TMJ, it sucks. After thousands in surgery, I'm not any better because state insurance dragged their heels on approving the other side. Can't fix one side of your jaw and not the other yk? So.. all that money was wasted. Jaw surgery a bust. : Its been 10 years now since I've been able to open my mouth. You kinda learn to live with TMJ when you have no choice..

My jaw surgery is a whole can of worms. I get so angry even thinking of it. I got preapproved from our HMO and then when I had the surgery done they denied it. I was left with $40,000 in unpaid medical bill. I ended up in the ICU after the surgery. We were poor students at the time and the state would not help because it was not an emergency. Well I would not have had the stupid thing done if I knew it was not going to be covered kwim?

I had a second surgery done in 5 years ago because I am allergic to titanium. That helped a lot. But now I am at the point that the migraines are unbearable. If I cannot work because of the migraines then I cannot feed my family. It is a vicious circle. The migraines are caused by my TMJ. I have lived with TMJ my whole life. For the most part its bearable but my jaw shifted causing more pressure on my joints, sigh. I had no idea about my tongue blocking my air supply. LOVELY! I have no idea what we are going to do. I have to do something at this point.

Heidi
#263 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
So there we are with that.

And now a quick question (I almost typed out the whole situation, but decided I really just need suggestions):

Would you

A) put 4yoDD in a bottom-only booster in the front seat of a car (no airbags) if that was the only available seat with a shoulder seat belt?

B) put DD in the back seat with only a lap belt?

or

I would do option D as we have been in that position before and buy a car seat that the 5 point harness goes up to 80-100 pounds and use it in the back with the lap belt only seat belts.

Heidi
#264 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchsLove View Post
Good news here...I don't have to go to court on Wed. for my eviction. I called the courthouse this morning and was able to file my "answer" and ask for a trial over the phone. Trial is set for the 12th. Given that i will already be in my new place for a week by then, i am not worried about it at all. I do still plan on going though.
Glad to see you are getting out of there! I don't see how they can evict you if you've already moved out though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janerose View Post
So, has anyone else noticed that we're going to have to start paying .20 to list stuff on the TP. Well, technically I guess they're getting rid of the TP & going to some fancy new system where you can do auctions, include all sort of pics, etc. But for giving us this new "service" we'll now have to pay .20 (I think per item...I'm waiting for verification on that...). If you look in the Questions & Suggestions you can find the thread about it. My post is towards the bottom of page 4...

I also specifically brought up that the new system is biased against lower income families who may very well NOT have the couple extra $$$ to spend on fees each month. :
I know - I don't agree with it either. I think it's going to ruin the TP and make it like ebay: I had some things I was going to list when I got access to the TP, and now I think I'm just going to go ahead and craigslist them.

And it is biased - but then again most things are when it comes to lower income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMommie View Post
I am thinking about taking this class next semester:
Wealth, Power & Justice: Course Description: What is the proper attitude toward wealth and poverty? Do the rich have an obligation to help the poor? How should we balance a commitment to human equality and to individual liberty? How are we to determine whether a society's distribution of wealth and power is just or unjust? What methods constitute legitimate means of achieving social change? This course explores alternative religious perspectives on these and other ethical questions that arise in connection with contemporary social, political, and economic life.

Sounds interesting. I am for sure taking:
Women Writers
Self & Society
Women & Law

I really want to take Women & Religion and Womens Health, but they are both full. I keep checking back, though, hoping that maybe a seat will open up in this class.
Wow I wish we had classes like those!!!! This spring I'm taking micro econ, spanish 2, PE, Catholic Social Teachings, Networks & telecom, A upper level world history, and who knows what else. All very boring - trust me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Doula View Post
Great Loaf! I love making bread! I really should start making it again, it is so much yummier then store bought bread! Enjoy!
I LOVE homemade bread - our breadmaker crapped out on us, so I need to learn how to do it myself or call the company for the part for our other one. I'll probably just call the company - I don't think making bread by hand is something I can handle given everything else I've got on my plate.

now for my update:
we're doing okay this month - I am so thankful my grandmother passed away last year and we got my mother's inheiritance! I know it sounds bad, but now we have the $$$ to finally start getting out of this hole we're in debt-wise. We're even going to be getting some steady income out of it, because my grandmother had land royalties that are paying out right now.

and now for a vent - I found out yesterday that while WIC professes to cover DD's formula - I can't get anywhere in town to ORDER it! DD can only use the vanilla Elecare {unflavored version causes kidney issues - no one knows why}. I've tried thru every single place in town that takes WIC - no one is willing to order the Vanilla version:, even with proof that WIC will cover it! And the WIC clinic just doesn't get it - their response is "well you can just go to the store & get the formula with the checks". So I'm back to buying DD's formula on ebay again, then ebaying the WIC ones. So stupid:
#265 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:

Would you

A) put 4yoDD in a backless booster OR booster with a back in the front seat of a car (no airbags) if that was the only available seat with a shoulder seat belt?

B) put DD in the back seat on the backless booster with only a lap belt?

or

It depends - what's your DD's height & weight? That's a must know in order to say which she could go in.
#266 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
We're having a tough time with our decision. We need to save the $150/month in tuition. But now we're paying $525 for DD to nap, play outside, and watch movies at daycare (which is pretty much all they do after lunch). :
Ouch - at that rate I'd just pull her out all together & save the $525!:

Maybe look into a daycare that is cheaper?
#267 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygirl View Post
right now.

and now for a vent - I found out yesterday that while WIC professes to cover DD's formula - I can't get anywhere in town to ORDER it! DD can only use the vanilla Elecare {unflavored version causes kidney issues - no one knows why}. I've tried thru every single place in town that takes WIC - no one is willing to order the Vanilla version:, even with proof that WIC will cover it! And the WIC clinic just doesn't get it - their response is "well you can just go to the store & get the formula with the checks". So I'm back to buying DD's formula on ebay again, then ebaying the WIC ones. So stupid:
Call the supervisor for your County for wic or else the state or write them a detailed letter.

Heidi
#268 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
I would do option D as we have been in that position before and buy a car seat that the 5 point harness goes up to 80-100 pounds and use it in the back with the lap belt only seat belts.
Well, yes, that's the ideal, and hopefully we'll be getting one for the holidays from my mother. But I mean TODAY. RIGHT NOW.

Quote:
It depends - what's your DD's height & weight? That's a must know in order to say which she could go in.
39"-40" tall and approximately 38-40 lbs

Quote:
Ouch - at that rate I'd just pull her out all together & save the $525!:

Maybe look into a daycare that is cheaper?
So maybe I should pull her out altogether for December, and try to find her somewhere else for Jan when I return to school?

I feel so badly doing this to her, though. She LOVES her preschool classmates. She's been there for almost a year now. And even an in-home part-time daycare situation around here will be around $400, if we get LUCKY and find one.
#269 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Well, yes, that's the ideal, and hopefully we'll be getting one for the holidays from my mother. But I mean TODAY. RIGHT NOW.

39"-40" tall and approximately 38-40 lbs

So maybe I should pull her out altogether for December, and try to find her somewhere else for Jan when I return to school?

I feel so badly doing this to her, though. She LOVES her preschool classmates. She's been there for almost a year now. And even an in-home part-time daycare situation around here will be around $400, if we get LUCKY and find one.
Maybe you can wait-list her to get back in in January? I've had friends who did that for a month or so, just to take a break from daycare. If that doesn't work - maybe it'd be cheaper to work out something with another college mom to swap kids for class times? I've done that with DD - another friend from college has a son 2 months older, and we planned our classes to where we could swap kids {She took morning classes, I took afternoon ones}. No charge except for food & craft supplies to either mama - it worked out great!

At that height & weight, she really should be in a carseat instead of a booster- something like a britax regent or the like. http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/pages..._Seat_Info.htm has a lot on info on this age range & booster vs. car seat. They do scholarships too for seats if I remember right. It looks like they aren't taking applications now though.

You could get away with a booster in the front seat - I honestly don't know if a booster in the front would be better than belted in the back, but my inclination is that the front seat with no airbag would be better.
#270 of 1547 Old 12-04-2007, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
This is actually a good thing which it does not sound like it. By cutting my fees in half I picked up the long term contract.
But now your doing 2x the work for half what you were making. How is that a good thing?

Seriously?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page