Dumping Debt with Dave Ramsey/DECEMBER - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 369 Old 12-05-2007, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Jesus View Post
ALRIGHT! I'm in! It's going to be very slow going for us. We are currently trying to save up to move into an apartment (we're with family right now). And having a lot of trouble, for some reason sticking with it. BUT I'm totally focused now by Dave! So my plan right now is start my $1000 by selling, selling, selling! I dunno if I can get $100 just selling stuff, but I can get off to a good start.
We started our EF with eBay selling and it happened a lot faster than I ever thought it could. Now if we make any extra money on eBay or doing surveys or clipping coupons it gets put on the current debt we're attacking. The pennies add up, they really do!
#62 of 369 Old 12-06-2007, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree about the pennies adding up. I started with selling too. Books, outgrown kids clothes, my clothes that I hardly wore, shoes I never wore, baby stuff I didnt use anymore, fabric, etc...

I go through my house on "what can I sell" missions! LOL My house is being decluttered in the process!

Desiree

#63 of 369 Old 12-06-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesireeH View Post
I agree about the pennies adding up. I started with selling too. Books, outgrown kids clothes, my clothes that I hardly wore, shoes I never wore, baby stuff I didnt use anymore, fabric, etc...

I go through my house on "what can I sell" missions! LOL My house is being decluttered in the process!
I've been doing that too - to the tune of over $1000 this month in december alone!

It's fun to see what sells!
#64 of 369 Old 12-06-2007, 02:03 PM

What if the person never sold on e-bay , what pointers would you give them ? we do the surveys and we tried selling on criags list but nothing is selling around here .

Thanks for any help .
#65 of 369 Old 12-06-2007, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

There is the Trading Post here too. If you do a yahoo groups search and look for local selling groups they might have that too. I found one here called "my city" for sale.

Ebay is easier than it looks too, maybe you can sign up? On craigslist, I think people want big deals. I usually put stuff for super cheap if I havent been using it anyways. I figure some money for something I dont use is better than no money for something that just sits there, ykwim?

Maybe a side job too? My dh took a side job this month building some cabinets. I do photography. Before that I used to sew. I've done babysitting (not my fav thing to do but if I HAD to I would again.)

Desiree

#66 of 369 Old 12-06-2007, 03:33 PM

Still $5/1000

I have a metric ton of stuff to sell, but getting photos of stuff and listing it is pretty much impossible with a 20 month old and a 2 month old! I've spent all morning just trying to find somewhere to put the ever-growing pile that DS couldn't get to. *sigh*

I have a ton of NB diapers, four cell phones, my maternity clothing from THREE pregnancies, a fabric stash to declutter... uh, and lots more, I'm sure. Fingers crossed that once I get it up it sells fast!

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#67 of 369 Old 12-06-2007, 03:38 PM

Old cell phones sell???
#68 of 369 Old 12-06-2007, 04:21 PM

Well, two of them are pay as you go phones, and two are metro pcs which all are in high demand around here. Contract phones, OTOH don't sell worth a darn.

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#69 of 369 Old 12-06-2007, 05:31 PM

$25/$1000 here I go...

Decluttering 500/2010
#70 of 369 Old 12-06-2007, 06:12 PM

EF is at $25.05/$1000

Because I had to transfer $14.95 to my auto loan.
Yesterday, I received a notice saying my 11/25 payment was delinquent by $14.95.
I transferred the money over the phone last night.
Today, I called the credit dept and they said the letter was a mistake.
The computer accidentally sent out a letter to me directly following the monthly fee for the disability insurance that I have on my auto loan.
He said no one else received a letter.
He credited back the $4.33 fee my loan account was charged.
He said I was right that my next payment wasn't due until 12/25/07, and I had been a month ahead in my payments as I had thought I was.
Oh well, at least it's fixed and my credit won't be affected.

We still have only .85 cents in the checking account.

Only 4 days until my husband's first paycheck!
Once Monday comes, I'll be able to pay the rest of December's bills (the earliest is due on the 15th, the latest is due on the 25th - that would be my car loan).
He worked 85 hours his first two weeks, much fewer hours than he ever worked at his last job.
He called payroll department and was told his take home pay (minus taxes, and 3% 401k) will be $740!
Yay!
We only need ~$500 to pay the rest of December bills, so that means we will have around $250 for the next two weeks.
$140 will go toward gas, which will leave $110 for two weeks, so $55 a week.
We should be able to buy some food with that.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#71 of 369 Old 12-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Red

You ladies are my inspiration!

Thanks so much. I came here a few days ago, feeling desperate. I read Dave last year, made an attempt, but got siderailed by dd's wedding.

When I came in the other day, I had $22 in one dollar bills. I now have $63!!!

I went through all my pockets, stole $30 from the budget, which will make the week tough. And I really cheated on the groceries, spending only $48! We're 'cleaning out the freezer', which I deemed necessary to make room for our pork. (we raise a few pigs every year.) The holidays will be tight. NOt impossible.

Selling on Ebay never works for me, but I'm willing to try again. DH would never miss some stuff, and there have to be things here someone would want. Right?

Oh, and dh's vacation account through work will have about $600 in it this year. If I can avoid spending it when it comes, on bills of course, I'll put it towards our savings and we'll be almost there!

Best of luck to everyone of you! Let's inspire each other!

$63/$1000
#72 of 369 Old 12-07-2007, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Yay Red, that is awesome. You almost tripled your fund!

I just sold a double stroller on Craigslist about 5 mins ago. LOL Another $20! WOOT!

I've found that with ebay, you almost have to have a low starting bid, or else people wont even click, ykwim? I try to keep the shipping as accurate as possible (weigh it first) cause I swear that makes a difference too if the people feel they are "getting their money's worth." With clothes and stuff, I think "lots" sell better too.

Desiree

#73 of 369 Old 12-07-2007, 01:43 PM

EF is $15.87!

DH got paid yesterday, $10.87 over his regular wages so since it's not in the budget, into the EF it goes!

#74 of 369 Old 12-07-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisie125 View Post
EF is $15.87!

DH got paid yesterday, $10.87 over his regular wages so since it's not in the budget, into the EF it goes!
Just think: in the past, that money would probably just have vanished into the depths, and been gone. Now its saved and waiting for you when you need it.
#75 of 369 Old 12-07-2007, 02:55 PM

I have some good news and I really just want to scream it so here I go . WE GOT AN OFFER ON OUR DVC TIME SHARE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This means that we will have 200 more money monthly . We will only make about 900.00 on it but none the less its GONE GONE GONE . I am so darn excited . We will still have 2 more payments to make and then we will be done . YEAH YEAH YEAH .

OK I am done
#76 of 369 Old 12-07-2007, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

That's great news, Sarah!!!

I'm in LIMBO. HAHA The bank is holding DH's side check until the 10th....after that I can pay a few things off. LOL I'm so eager to pay it off, it's bugging me. HAHAHAHAHA

In the meantime he got his regular paycheck so I'm doing what I normally would do (bills and groceries.)

Desiree

#77 of 369 Old 12-07-2007, 05:18 PM

I hate that , when you know you hvae money but yet can't do anything cause its not avaliable to you yet . We have a school check coming sometime in Dec and we have to buy DH school books with it and then we are hopping to pay off a credit card with the other part of it but agian we have no clue at all when we will get it . So we are pretty much in Limbo till atleast the 19th of dec .
#78 of 369 Old 12-07-2007, 05:27 PM

With the exception of two $10 items, we are 100% done Christmas shopping. All cash, all hand made by me or WAHM made (or at least sold by a WAHM)

We cut WAYYYYY down for Christmas this year (more by necessity than choice, though) . I'm so glad too.

#79 of 369 Old 12-07-2007, 06:27 PM

I got $5 today for doing a survey and $20 for some last minute babysitting. That'll get added in with my Capital One payment next month.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#80 of 369 Old 12-07-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2dea View Post
What if the person never sold on e-bay , what pointers would you give them ?

Thanks for any help .
I've sold on eBay for over ten years and my ex told me there was no way I could do it, it was too complicated, we didn't have a camera, I didn't know anything about computers, etc, etc, etc. Well, the best way to make sure I succeed at something is to tell me I can't do it!!!!

Here are some suggestions:
  1. Before you attempt to sell something, check the auctions for a week or so to see if someone is selling something similar. It will give you a great idea of what sells and what doesn't, how to take your picture, how to write your description, how much to charge for shipping etc etc etc. This is probably my number 1 tip - saves me from listing things that make no money.
  2. You really do need pictures except for perhaps books. Books are listed by ISBN and if they are stock books in eBay's system there will be a stock photo; however, you must detail the description of your book very carefully to let the buyer know condition. Otherwise, you really need a photo or two. One photo is enough for most things, but if there is damage you should show it in a picture or at least offer to. Make sure the photos are as clear and close as you can get them.
  3. Ship internationally. This is a bit more complicated, but I find that Australia and the UK are huge buyers of all kinds of things... Canada too. This may require a trip to your PO to figure out exact shipping, but it is worth it. These folks seem to like to pay more than US buyers.
  4. Do not make up for a low starting bid by upping your shipping. Charge a fair shipping price and include it if at all possible in your listing or use eBay's calculator. If you don't know how much it will cost to ship, pack it up and take it to the post office for an accurate weight. Use the postage calculator at www.usps.com to get shipping charges. I always list charges to US, Canada, UK and Australia in my listings. I usually ship Priority mail because the boxes and tape are free from the post office and they arrive more quickly than parcel post.
  5. Wrap and ship very carefully or you risk negative feedback. Wrap in plastic to prevent dampness (grocery bags work great) before putting in the box. Pad with newspapers or old office papers or whatever.
  6. Open a PayPal account for handling payments and do not take checks or MOs. PayPal makes international currency easy plus you get your money right away. I am not afraid of bad checks or MOs, they just take too long - usually 2 weeks to complete an auction when it closes and that is time the money is out of your pocket.

Oh and one final thing, be prompt with feedback. Leave it as soon as a buyer pays you. That is only fair. The nicer you are to your customers, the higher your feedback rating will be.

Have fun making some money!!!
#81 of 369 Old 12-08-2007, 01:15 AM

Just posting my update and getting inspired reading everyone else's successes and stories.

good, bad, and ugly:

Good:
-kids and I went around house looking for new or gently used stuff to regift, books we haven't read, stuff like that. Also, made a big box of stuff to go to a give away for families that can't afford presents, no money there, but a good deed and cleaning out space!
-also made a big pile of stuff to sell here on the trading post and on ebay.
-had a birth this week and should get paid next week for several things that are overdue!
-husband was able to put in extra hours this week! He is totally commission, so that is important,

Bad:
-I've been sick, so not feeling well enough to actually put the stuff up for sale, plus haven't had the time (didn't realize having an illness was so time consuming). I'm really trying to get this stuff done because now is the time to sell during christmas, not in january when no one has any money
-I only have one more birth this month (twins, yeah), then no more, so it is a slow birthing month which means no more income

Ugly:
-Today alone, I spent over 300 in medical expenses between my eye exam (need to check if tumor is pressing on optic nerve and new contacts), chiro care co-pay, family doc co-pay, co-pays on 3 new meds, new glucometer strips and new blood pressure machine
-have to travel to yale to see doctors next week, so travel expenses alone will be nuts!!! Plus my husband has to take off 2 days work and I might miss twins
-all the money from our 1000 fund is officially gone and we will be putting stuff on credit cards this money, further digging the hole, however, my husband keeps reminding me that at least we are on the right track and mindset and that this health issue is only temporary.

I'm motivated to get some stuff posted on ebay this weekend, maybe I'll put a fire under my older girls, it's really not hard at all!

Whoever has the older cell phones, lmk, I am looking to replace 2 of them for my girls, they need to be compatible with AT&T cards.

Oh, and we bought a big chart to hang on the wall with all the bills, amounts due, totals due, to help my older kids get involved, see where all the money is going, etc. Hope it is motivating for them and us!
#82 of 369 Old 12-08-2007, 01:30 PM

Just a reminder that if you search "Dave Ramsey" on youtube, you can get all kinds of clips and videos, even an entire session of Financial Peace University (the Dumping Debt one).

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#83 of 369 Old 12-08-2007, 01:42 PM

Oh crap.

Today was an awful money day in our house. I'm feeling really defeated.

DH got his stub for his commission check (we do direct deposit so the $$ isn't there yet) and it was $195 less than his lowest check ever (over the past 4 years) I know you aren't "supposed" to count on commission, but we did our budget with the very lowest amount he's gotten in FOUR years thinking that would be good.

Guess not.

I don't know how we are going to pay our bills & mortgage. I'm going to have to sell all that stuff and put the money towards bills instead of my emegency fund, I guess. What a bummer.

#84 of 369 Old 12-09-2007, 11:58 AM

Well, we had a small setback this week. Finally got the EFF back to our limit and the fan on DHs Jeep blew apart and took some hoses etc with it. Not sure how much it'll be yet, but it'll be at least $500 we guess. Again, so happy we have the EF and don't have to put it on the CC.

Good luck to everyone out there fighting the battle... take it day by day and pick up the pennies on the street. They might come in handy!
#85 of 369 Old 12-09-2007, 06:19 PM

I am jumping in with you also! We have been "trying" to stick with Dave for a little over a year now, and we have really struggled. I have been lurking on your thread for a while, We have have alot going on right now, that includes saving $$..So we need to now more than ever get on our budget, stick to our budget, get caught up, and start our efund.

Right now we are on pre-step 1, We are considering a move and another child in about 1.5-2 years, and both of those require $$ that we do not have at this time.

Can I ask your opinion on something..This might be long (sorry) We are a family of 4, I am a sahm. I have a LVN degree and am in the process of getting my pre-reqs done so I can get my RN, As a working LVN, I can make close to $30/hr. BUT I have no where to work where we live..I would have to commute between 1-1.5 hour to get a job. We live in a family owned home where we only pay the taxes and insurance on the home, eventually we will inherit it. We pay about $500/month, and that leaves wiggle room for repairs..And we live right next door to my grandmother, 5 minutes from my mom, and 10 min, from my dad. the trouble is we are broke. We struggle and struggle which I am ok with since I am able to stay home with my children, but I am getting sick of it. Do we move to a different town and pay rent there (probably $1200/month) and completely start over, or do we stay where we are, cheap, and surrounded by family? I have always let my family control my every move, so I have a hard time sorting out what is best for us vs what is best in my mothers eyes..What are your thoughts?
#86 of 369 Old 12-10-2007, 01:41 AM
Red

It will cost you a ton to pay rent, baby sitters, uniforms, food, etc. You'll never get ahead.

You have a great deal. You just need to make some cash. How about local nursing homes? Small hospitals? Rehabs? How about the school nurse? Visitng nurses? Home care or respite care for the medically fragile?

You can make 100 and have dad watch the kids, and grab dinner with mom, or make 100, pay 50 for day care, and 10 for a pizza. And your parents will probably buy the kids an outfit while they're out!

And think about the equity in the house.
And the kdis relationships with everyone.
#87 of 369 Old 12-10-2007, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
It will cost you a ton to pay rent, baby sitters, uniforms, food, etc. You'll never get ahead.

You have a great deal. You just need to make some cash. How about local nursing homes? Small hospitals? Rehabs? How about the school nurse? Visitng nurses? Home care or respite care for the medically fragile?

You can make 100 and have dad watch the kids, and grab dinner with mom, or make 100, pay 50 for day care, and 10 for a pizza. And your parents will probably buy the kids an outfit while they're out!

And think about the equity in the house.
And the kdis relationships with everyone.
Thats the part that is really kepping me here, is my children's relationship with everyone! I don't get much help on the babysitting aspect (but then again, I don't really need it much) but my kids LOVE my grandmother, and she is 100 steps from our front door
#88 of 369 Old 12-10-2007, 10:20 AM

Well we had a small set back agian . Our Heat went out this weekend and thankfully we have a home warenty to cover it but we had to pay out 55.00 to have them come out to fix it . THankfully its only 55.00 but none the less its out of the emergency fund .
#89 of 369 Old 12-10-2007, 02:15 PM

Well, I am ready now to jump in feet first at the start of January.( a poor;y planned Christmas budget and an unexpected bill has ruined my chances of gaining some control this month) But I worked on our budget until late last night..Can I post that here for suggestions? Or is that not allowed?
Good news for the day, we were gone last week and I forgot tto pay dd's preschool before I left, I paid it this morning in cash with a $35 late fee included..her director handed me back the $35!! She said since we were gone she isn't counting it as late!
#90 of 369 Old 12-10-2007, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

That's good Amanda about the late fee being given back!

I think it's fine to post your budget here!

Aww Dawn...hugs, can you put stuff on Craigslist? I get a quick response and cash in my hand fast doing that.

Update:
emergency fund: $1200 (left $200 over in for a bill I know is due in Jan...life insurance premium)

Amazon card: paid off! (and I cut up 3 empty cards that I found in my top drawer that I had been keeping them for emergency. Forget that!) In my wallet is ONLY debit and ID now.

Also was able to put $1000 toward Discover today bringing it down closer to $2000 left in balance. After that we'll tackle DHs truck loan (probably able to pay off at tax time eliminating a $240 month payment) and then we'll tackle the big CC (10K).

Desiree

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page