What ONE meal/thing do you make the most in your crockpot? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-10-2008, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Didn't read all the responses...hope this isn't a repeat:

I like to cook a whole chicken in the crockpot. Our family is small, so we can get at least two meals out of it. The day the chicken is cooked, we eat some of the chicken, and I fix some rice and a veggie to go along with it. Then, I freeze the leftovers to be used in a casserole (chicken divan, chicken tetrazzini, etc) or chicken fajitas. The one thing that I haven't done yet is to use the leftover bones to make broth for soup. I plan to do that one day, though :

Someone advised me on cooking a chicken in the crockpot a few years ago and it has always turned out well:

1. Clean chicken, and pat dry.
2. Salt and pepper to taste (I use crazy salt).
3. Put chicken in crockpot with NO WATER.
4. Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
YUM!

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2008, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pork Chops with onion and apples

put pork chops in with sliced onion layered on top. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Add a few dabs of butter. Cook on low all day. A couple hours before you eat add a couple sliced tart apples.

Angie: mama to Erika and Ani: dw to Ole:::
Old 01-10-2008, 04:27 PM

Tijuana Turkey (wonderful mole, that can also be made with chicken)

It's from my fav crockpot cookbook, Healthy Crockery Cookery
Old 01-10-2008, 06:33 PM

subbing!
Old 01-10-2008, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sour cream & salsa chicken for tacos/burritos.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:15 PM

I've seen a few mention pot roast already. I sometimes make a Swedish pot roast which puts a sour cream and dill sauce on after the cooking of the roast.

My #1 recipe in the crockpot used to be my Million Bean Chili, but dd#1 isn't into chili powder.

Lately our #1 crock recipe has been pulled pork BBQ from our crock pot.

Buy the pork that's on sale. It can be roast, loin, chops, whatever is the cheapest.
Two cups of BBQ sauce
1/4 c. of soy
Set pot on low.
It needs a minimum of 7 hours, I do 10 to 11 hours because of work. Just pull the pork away from the bones if any and put on buns with cheese. When I made it this week, my kids begged to take left overs to daycare the next day.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Pot Roast with potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaf, sea salt, pepper & a little beef broth and probably other spices I'm not thinking of right now.

BBQ Chicken -Put raw chicken breast in slow cooker and cover with bbq sauce. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Bar-B-Q...ce/Detail.aspx
After the chicken is cooked, shred it with 2 forks and mix with the sauce in the cooker. Serve on buns or over mashed potatoes. EASY & YUMMY!

Taco Soup
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Co...up/Detail.aspx
with this taco seasoning recipe:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Taco-Se...-I/Detail.aspx

Chili
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Its-Chi...ge/Detail.aspx
I use stewed tomatoes for part of the tomato juice (v-8)
Old 01-14-2008, 01:09 AM

I make stock from chicken bones and veg scraps

I also make tomato sauce from frozen tomatoes from the summer

Shane - Homeschooling mom to three boys (12, 1-, 8) and living the open life with my husband.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:23 AM

YUM! I love using my crockpot! I will have to try some of these recipes! : (I don't think I'd ever get to use that guy in any other post, so he's here)
My favorite that I make at least once a week is for roast beef sandwiches:
throw in 32oz. of beef broth
one packet of instant onion soup mix (or add some sliced onion and some seasonings)
pot roast

Let that cook all day on low. Saute up onion and bell pepper in olive oil to put on sandwiches. Toast french rolls and butter when done. Put shredded beef on rolls, some shredded cheese and onion/pepper mix. Use beef stock from crockpot to dip sandwiches in. YUM!!

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

Old 01-14-2008, 11:10 AM

I use my crockpot alot. Right now, I have a roast in it. I will shred it this afternoon and put it in a skillet to make hash. That way, I can get all of the fat off of it. We will get several meals out of one roast and usually have something left to freeze.

Kim
Old 01-14-2008, 11:40 AM

I'll give you my top 5--

1. Chicken breasts sprinkled with seasoning...how easy can you get?
2. Chili
3. Beef roast, with garlic, celery, carrots, potatoes
4. Leftover chicken casserole--creamy lowfat and loaded with veggies and pasta
5. Chicken and dumplings......this stuff tastes like HOME! Seriously my personal favorite recipe that I make. And, YES I make my own dumplings from scratch...it's so easy! It really comes out more like a pot pie. I add lots of veggies.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Old 01-14-2008, 12:28 PM

This may have already been posted, and if so, I second it () and if not, it's yummy and if you eat meat, you should try it!

Place foil balls (or potatoes, or foil wrapped potatoes...this one would probably be the best, as hopefully the potatoes would cook without getting too soggy from the meat) on the bottom of the crock pot. Place a chicken, liberally seasoned with cajun seasoning (or your fave seasoning) on top of the balls/potatoes, and cook on low all day.

Voila! Roasted chicken that tastes great, and is easy as 1-2-3!

We do this almost every week. When I'm really feeling ambitious, I just keep the bones in the crockpot (since it gets so tender you basically can't get the meat out without leaving the bones behind) add some water, and make chicken broth out of the bones. 2 for 1!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:06 PM

Forgive me if this has been mentioned, I didn't see it, but the crockpot makes the BEST scalloped potatoes. We add a small amount of ham and serve it with salad and it's a very filling and cheap meal. In the winter we eat it a couple times a month. Scalloped potatoes, basic recipe.

Also, I love crockpot oatmeal - it's so creamy and delicious. I usually use dried fruits, brown sugar, apples, a pinch of salt and steel cut oats. Here's a basic recipe, you can add whatever you want to it, though.

I love crockpot baked beans, too, I know that has been mentioned already.

That cranberry pork roast sounds great, can't wait to make it! :

flowersforyou.gif

Old 01-15-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
I'll give you my top 5--

5. Chicken and dumplings......this stuff tastes like HOME! Seriously my personal favorite recipe that I make. And, YES I make my own dumplings from scratch...it's so easy! It really comes out more like a pot pie. I add lots of veggies.
Would you mind sharing your recipe? Thanks!

Jude
Old 01-15-2008, 02:23 PM

I think I read about this originally in a book.....we make "leftover soup" in the crockpot. Inevitably, DD doesn't eat all her chicken noodle soup one night or her veggies or I have just a bit of leftover veggie or chicken broth. So, I keep a large (sometimes two) jar in the freezer, and I keep putting leftover broth or veggies in it until it's full. When they're full, take some frozen boneless chicken breasts, put in crock pot, then put the thawed leftover broth & veggies on top of it, season if needed, and cook on low most of the day. Take chicken out, shred, return to pot, add cooked noodles or rice, and voila! Chicken noodle soup. DD and DH love it!

User Tag List