Making gifts... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 12-07-2007, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some ideas for homemade gifts that I can give to friends and family.

Any ideas are welcome, because I don't even have a place to start yet.

(I don't knit if that helps though)
#2 of 20 Old 12-07-2007, 02:33 PM

We're doing all homemade gifts this year. But I only have a few ideas. For our mom's I'm crocheting kitchen/dish scrubbers and giving them foaming soap pumps (you can't find them in stores around here ANYWHERE, so I ordered them), and I may make up some soap to go with them (I use Dr. B's for everything). For DD we're making her a wodden kitchen and I'm sewing her an little apron and some oven mitts. For my sister I'm sewing some CD holders. But those are my only ideas. I have NO idea what to do for DH and he has no idea what to do for me, so we may just forego eachothers gifts. LOL

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#3 of 20 Old 12-07-2007, 02:57 PM

Well I don't knit or sew but I do bake homemade cookies and treats. Generally I find festive containers at the dollar store and give put the treats in those.. who doesn't like homemade goodies to eat. LOL

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#4 of 20 Old 12-07-2007, 03:13 PM

If you have any scraps of felt and embroidery floss (or just plain thread) you can make Christmas tree ornaments. You could embellish them with buttons and things. There are a zillion ideas for these online (Christmas trees, stars, mini stockings, snowmen, to name a few) , you can print them out and trace them, cut them, sew them and then stuff them. I think the wires should be easy to find (I'll find mine in the bottom of the Christmas ornament box).

If you need stuffing for these things you can use an old stuffed animal's insides.

Oh and ditto to the homemade cookies etc, ppl always love that stuff.

I'll make pretend food for smaller kids like chocolate chip cookies, eggs, simple things like that. I have the heart of a crafter but I'm just not patient enough to do in depth crafts. These things take no patience and they're cute and easy. My 2 yo loves the pretend cookie I made for her.
#5 of 20 Old 12-07-2007, 07:05 PM

what about putting together some 'ready to bake' things - my aunt would put all the dry ingredients for breads, cookies, and whatnot into a glass jar, layering each to make it look nice, and then putting on the jar a card that says what else you need (like oil, eggs, milk) the recipe, so that it's something people can make on their own. She also did hot cocoa mixes that were the best! just add water/milk... and she jazzed up the jars with nice tags and bows.

I'm thinking of putting some pickling spices in jars with instructions, and maybe some teas with herbs from the local herb farm...
#6 of 20 Old 12-07-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1babysmom View Post
We're doing all homemade gifts this year. But I only have a few ideas. For our mom's I'm crocheting kitchen/dish scrubbers and giving them foaming soap pumps (you can't find them in stores around here ANYWHERE, so I ordered them),
Where did you order the foaming pumps from?! I've been needing those and can't find them. I refuse to buy the store brand ones and dump the soap, like dh suggested...
#7 of 20 Old 12-07-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyPrincess View Post
Where did you order the foaming pumps from?! I've been needing those and can't find them. I refuse to buy the store brand ones and dump the soap, like dh suggested...
I just keep watching Ebay. It's the ONLY place I can find them. I got myself some about a year ago and had to watch for about a month this time to find some I liked.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#8 of 20 Old 12-07-2007, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have a foaming pump from pampered chef - you might want to try a pampered chef consultant!

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#9 of 20 Old 12-08-2007, 12:38 AM

Do you sew? I'm making grocery bags for most people this year, using these instructions, and fabric I already have.
#10 of 20 Old 12-08-2007, 01:10 AM
cjr

Quote:
my aunt would put all the dry ingredients for breads, cookies, and whatnot into a glass jar, layering each to make it look nice, and then putting on the jar a card that says what else you need (like oil, eggs, milk) the recipe, so that it's something people can make on their own. She also did hot cocoa mixes that were the best! just add water/milk... and she jazzed up the jars with nice tags and bows.
I did this last year. It took a long time and in the end was not cheap. I did some nice loaf and layered the dry ingredients in a glass milk jar. I did different cocoa's and layered them in an old fashioned mason jar with the snap lids. No one used them. They sit pretty on their window sills, and it annoys me. I wanted them to use them.
#11 of 20 Old 12-08-2007, 11:12 AM

Did you check out the arts & crafts forums? There are tons of threads on home made gifts there.

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#12 of 20 Old 12-08-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayinme View Post
Well I don't knit or sew but I do bake homemade cookies and treats. Generally I find festive containers at the dollar store and give put the treats in those.. who doesn't like homemade goodies to eat. LOL

Shay
I agree with Shay - go with homemade treats. Think about what you're already good about baking and just do those. Even really basic stuff - banana bread or chocolate chip cookies - are good and welcome, because a lot of folks don't bake like they may have in the past. I've found even little kids like getting their own plate of cookies (use holiday paper plates) or mini loaf of banana bread. If you go into the foil bakeware section of the grocery store, you will find packs of mini-loaf pans. Some will even have plastic lids for after baking. Just put a bow and a tag on top - voila!

Unless you have tons of time on your hands, we don't have a lot of time before Christmas, so I would just bake. Pick one or two things, and make like a factory one day and bake a ton.

Also, another idea for an older adult who might be unable to have sweets for health reasons - give them a certificate for a homemade meal later from you! I've done this for some years and it's always very well received (I even do it for baby shower gifts). Get creative and fun with the certificate. I draw on plain index cards, but if you kids are old enough, they could draw it/make it on the computer for you. Bet they would love doing that.

There are variations on this: homemade bread or sweet of the month club for X number of months. Or a meal of the month club.

Other certificate ideas: a night of babysitting, X number of hours of organizing help (if a person has indicated they would like such a thing). For an elderly family member, you might stock their freezer with meals to be heated and eaten later, yardwork help in the summer, housework help whenever they needed it, etc. You get the idea.

I love these kinds of gifts because they usually only require your time. If they are meals, it's spread out and doesn't hit your budget at Christmas.

For baking, if you REALLY need to keep costs down, NO NUTS! They are expensive and lots of people are allergic anyway. I refuse to bake with them because I don't like them (aside from PB). I think one of the cheapest things to bake is banana bread.

lady.gif
#13 of 20 Old 12-08-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aratiaw View Post
Do you sew? I'm making grocery bags for most people this year, using these instructions, and fabric I already have.
That's my plan for next year! I know so many people in my family who would LOVE to have a full set of reusable grocery sacks but can't afford to buy them.

This year, we're doing food. We have some jam I made from strawberries that we picked at a U-Pick place this summer, and are giving the grandparents Jam + Pictures of the toddler covered in Strawberries.

I'm also making big batches of toffee and peppermint brittle and giving them in chinese take-out containers from the dollar store with big bows on them.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#14 of 20 Old 12-08-2007, 06:43 PM

This year we are giving:

homemade snow globes
cinnamon-applesauce ornaments
framed pictures of DS (for the grandmas and aunts)
cookies or muffins
#15 of 20 Old 12-08-2007, 07:30 PM

One year dh and I made beeswax ornaments for everyone. We bought the beeswax locally. You melt it down, use pantyhose to strain out the bees and bee bits, then pour it into molds. Let set for a few minutes, then gently push a 3-4" loop of candle wicking into the top for hanging. They smell heavenly. And last for years. I still have some from my childhood, and the ones we made 10 years ago.

We put those, a box of tea, and some local honey into gift baskets.

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#16 of 20 Old 12-08-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather View Post
This year, we're doing food. We have some jam I made from strawberries that we picked at a U-Pick place this summer, and are giving the grandparents Jam + Pictures of the toddler covered in Strawberries.
That's adorable! I have to remember that when we go berry picking next summer- get a photo for the jam label!

Yeah, those ingredient jars seem like a good idea, but I know I've never used any of the ones I've been given, either. And then I feel weird about throwing them away, so they hang around forever.

I make sachets; I get the lavender super-cheap from http://www.sfherb.com and use little scraps of fabric to make the bags, and sew beads on the corners. I watch for bags of junk jewelry at garage sales and have gotten some great beads that way. The fabric comes from old bridesmaid dresses - I found a couple of silk ones cheap at goodwill last year and I'm still cutting them up! Ugly dresses, pretty sachets!
#17 of 20 Old 12-09-2007, 02:46 AM

my friend makes rice pillows for heating/cooling - I loved mine after I gave birth for everything that hurt ...you could make eye pillows, headache band pillows, tummy pillows...sleep pillows with lavender...

I think I'll be making banana bread, cookies, and some tea and honey gift bags

I got some cool reusable wine tote bags from this site and with a cheap, but good, bottle of wine (I like one that's only $6 a bottle) it's a gift for any one of my friends
#18 of 20 Old 12-09-2007, 12:11 PM

I'm baking and making up candy like a tornado, here, too. For my ds, I am sewing him a monster doll from his papa's old fleece sweatshirt and stuffing I already had. For my dd, I'm sewing a set of felt playfood. I also have some crocheted toys for her.
I've been swapping with other crafters for gifts, too.
I'm also painting some cheap wooden napkin holders for my SIL, for her kitchen gift basket. She is also getting choc and white choc. dipped spoons for her coffee.
I also want to make some kind of handprint gift for Gma from the kiddos; maybe a dishcloth or salt dough ornament? Havent decided yet. I've also done alot of crocheted hats/scarves in the past and beaded necklaces.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#19 of 20 Old 12-09-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunanthem View Post
For my dd, I'm sewing a set of felt playfood. .
Oooh, I really want to do this next year, after we see how into the playkitchen he's getting this year DS is. Any helpful links or tips?

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#20 of 20 Old 12-09-2007, 09:52 PM

Actually, no. Just think of what you want to make and figure it out. The most I see folks talk about making felt food is here. You can also check out etsy and Flickr for images to look at.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page