January No-Spend Challenge -- Day of Reckoning. How did you do? What will you change for next month? Congratulations for sticking with us to the... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenegirl View Post
A Question -- This is the first time I'm doing the no-spending challenge. My B/SIL gave us a Visa Gift Card for Christmas. The envelope did not say how much it was for and when we looked at it up online today, it was for $200!!!! Today, we bought a shredder (which was something we've had on our household need/want list for some time). Then we bought a few groceries, etc. We paid for all of them with the card. I'm not sure how to think of this. Do you count it when you spend gift money?
I don't think I would count that as a spend because it didn't come out of "budgeted" money since it was a gift card.. Just my opinion
#62 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 04:25 PM

I'm in!

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.
I'm Sarah, sahm homeschooling mom to my three bigs (7yodd and twin 6yods) and my three littles (3yods, 2yods, and 2mods). Dh works full time and makes a good income, but in taking a new job this spring he took a significant pay cut and we are struggling. We have a sizable mortgage that we took on before his job change, and we also have credit card debt, medical debt, and some other debts that we are working on paying off. And we don't have any savings--at all. We need to start up dh's 401k, now that he qualifies again, and start setting aside a portion of each paycheck into our savings account. If we had an emergency come up, we could be really, really screwed...

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of January. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.
*Six more months of disciplined payments and we will be OUT of credit card debt.
*Four more months of disciplined payments and we have paid off one of our other debts.
*My dad's 60th birthday is in the beginning of April. I want to save enough to buy a plane ticket home and suprise him. I'm estimating I'll need $300 for the ticket, if I can purchase it before the middle of March, so I need to set aside that amount.
*My 3yods has a birthday later this month. I want to have funds available to take the family to Chuck E. Cheese (a HUGE treat for the kids), get our ds a nice birthday present and some snow boots, and make a fun cake. I think budgeting $100 would accomplish all this, but that means I need to not have spent $$ on other things earlier in the month.
*I have a budgeted amount to spend on groceries/household needs that I consistently overspend every month. I want to be VERY careful to stay within the budgeted amount this month, and am keeping all reciepts so I can see where every penny goes. This month our pantry and our freezer are FULL, so I know it can be done. I also want to track these expenses so that if I really do need to up the budgeted amount, I can justify it to myself and dh.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?
*Save all reciepts.
*Stock up on necessities only when shopping--no spending off the shopping list.
*Follow the menu plan.
*Pay all bills before their due date.
*20 no-spend days.
*Spend no more than $15 on date with dh this Thursday night (exchanging sitting with a friend.)

Sarah ~ Kinda Crunchy Mom to 11yodd , 10yods, 10yods (MZ twins), 7yods , 5yods , 3yods

#63 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
01/01: no spend!

1. 1/22 no-spend days
2. $334/$300 on groceries and household items for Dec 21-Jan 3
3. 40/800 minutes of exercise

Amount spent out of the budget so far in January: $0

KEY:
=true no-spend
=spending within the budget
=out of budget spending

It's barely noon here, but I don't think we'll be leaving the house at all, so it's going to be a no-spend day! A good way to start off the new year, I do believe!

:
#64 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenegirl View Post
A Question -- This is the first time I'm doing the no-spending challenge. My B/SIL gave us a Visa Gift Card for Christmas. The envelope did not say how much it was for and when we looked at it up online today, it was for $200!!!! Today, we bought a shredder (which was something we've had on our household need/want list for some time). Then we bought a few groceries, etc. We paid for all of them with the card. I'm not sure how to think of this. Do you count it when you spend gift money?
I don't count gift cards.

For me, there are a few things that are money "freebies". Gift cards or financial gifts, money in my paypal account that I earned by selling things and our coin jar if we take some coins out of it for some reason.
#65 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 05:03 PM

We are staying home again..and then going next door for Chinese food (no cost to us : I am baking cupcakes right now that were from the pantry..So no spend today!!

1/1

January Spending goals:
No Spend days: 1/27
No etsy/DS/ebay: 1/30
Non-necessary Spending: $0/$150

December totals:
No spend days: 20/18
No DS, Etsy, DT: 31/27
Non-essential spending $85.20/$200

Key:
true no-spend day
: spend within budget
spend day
#66 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamilkers View Post
I don't count gift cards.

For me, there are a few things that are money "freebies". Gift cards or financial gifts, money in my paypal account that I earned by selling things and our coin jar if we take some coins out of it for some reason.
ITA on all those! I don't count those either!!
#67 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 05:33 PM

Okay, here it goes!

1/1: (actually made 40.00 on Craigslist!)

No problem! Of course, we didn't leave the house, so that makes it a little easier . I spent a good chunk of time today taking over all the bills, plotting out what is due when, and getting things organized. DH is very happy to hand over the finances to me, and I think it will be a good wake up call for me to be in control of everything (especially since I'm the one who does most of the shopping and home running).

DH is totally on board with this challenge, which is cool.

Key:
= not a penny spent
= spending within the budget
= necessary spending not in the budget (things I forgot or couldn't plan for)
= unnecessary/frivolous spending
#68 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 05:43 PM

double post

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#69 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 05:50 PM

Well, I went to the craft store and spent $25. I had been looking forward to this sale, and it was in my budget. (It was a 20% off the entire store sale - I saved $7 and some change.)

1/1 - $25

No spend day:
Budgeted spending:
Surprise necessary spending:
Unnecessary spending: :
#70 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 06:52 PM

Hi there
I'll join!
1) I'm Sarah. I am a SAHM to two boys aged 4 and (almost) 2, with a baby due in April or May. I am also studying "in my own time" to be a childbirth educator.
2) We need to tighten our belts this month. We have a lot of debt that is costing us a fortune, that we need to deal with, and we can barely cover our outgoings on paper even before we get going on paying off debt. Doing this challenge should help me identify unnecessary spending. Also my dh doesn't get paid until 19th so we are broke until then anyway - anything we spend will be debt.
3) I have to have some cash for playgroup and school bits each week, but above that, I should not be spending any cash all week and that is my main aim. (This should also help me cut down on sugar!!) Also intend to reduce driving as far as possible and keep grocery shopping to essentials.
#71 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 07:05 PM

No spending today!
Tomorrow we will be driving home from IL's (about a 6 hr trip) so need to make sure we have adequate food and drink for the journey to avoid spending en route!
#72 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 07:18 PM

Happy 2008, ladies!

Key:
=: unbudgeted but necessary
+: unbudgeted and unnecessary

Goals:
0/11 spend days
1/20 no-spend
0/4 trips and $0/200 groceries
0/1 trip and $0/20 farmer's market
$0/0 in unbudgeted spending
$0/15 for DS bday in March

Tue 1
#73 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 07:26 PM

I think I need to add a symbol to my key
This one: should mean dh spent money when he wasn't supposed to!
Argh, day 1 and I'm already frustrated!

#74 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 08:06 PM

1st :

GOALS:
Food from the grocery store: $0/$400
Gas: $0/$200
Misc.: $0/$100

I will NOT patronize any fast food places!
I will NOT patronize any big box stores except Home Depot if necessary.

1/31 NO FAST FOOD! 1/31 NO BIG BOX STORES!

KEY: : True no spend Spending within budget : Spending outside budget
December:
Food from the grocery store: $697/$400
gas: $230/$200
Christmas: $200/$150
Misc.: $212/$50
TOTAL SPENDING OUTSIDE FIXED BILLS:$1338.50
#75 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 08:37 PM

Jan. 1
#76 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamilkers View Post
And Ann, I'm glad you're jumping on the exercise train with me . I thought about joining some other exercise threads here but I just don't have the time to be all over the board tracking stuff. I have all the motivation I need with my August wedding approaching so I just want to see the numbers adding up!
You're so good I was just thinking about how tired I am after my late night on NYE, and how I'm feeling lazy. I needed the motivation to exercise, so thank you. I'm going to add a goal of 1000 minutes on the treadmill for the month of January- I need it!

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#77 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

#78 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwylde View Post
I am getting excited about this. I miss doing it before and felt so good when I had a month full of :
Yeah!!! Carla -- great to have you back. You are a good no-spender and will be inspirational for the rest of us! We missed you.

#79 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 09:11 PM

SO today wasn't a no-spend day....

lunch $40 (yikes!!!)
gas $39.49 (hopefully will last me 2 weeks)
cable $54.26
roth IRA $200

But on a positive note, dh and I did start planning our budget and planning our long term financial goals. We were going to try to sell our house in the spring, but are now thinking about doing a major declutter and selling in spring of 2009 instead, giving us over a year to bank major money. We are going to track every single cent spent this month (and probably every month) to get a reality bite of where our money is going!
#80 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 09:15 PM

Hi all- I am going to give this a shot-
1. My name is Jessica and I am a SAHM with two kids DS (7) and DD (3). I am also a full time student.

2. We really need to spend the minimum to pay off debt and to help with the extra cost of school and childcare.

3. My goals- try my best to post every day, do not go to the thrift stores, do not eat out this month.

groceries 0/400
gas 0/100
childcare 0/240
eating out 0/0
#81 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 09:29 PM

01/01:

Goals for the month of January:
Eating out $0/$100
Groceries $0/$400
*DO NOT BUY ONE SCRAP OF FABRIC!*

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#82 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 09:30 PM

Yikes. I REALLY need to not spend anything this month. No social spending, nothing un-budgeted, bare minimum at the grocery store. I Just did my budget for January, and because of taking a week off work for visiting family at x-mas, and spending WAY too much on x-mas presents, I am in serious bind this month.
Because of my spending habits I have avoided getting a credit card at all, so what I make, is what I have. I probably couldn't even get credit card if I WANTED to at this point because I already have bad credit due to a bunch of overdraft fees and unpaid parking tickets. :
So I'm changing my goals for the month to fit my budget.

January:
01/01 :

GOALS:
  • Save ALL receipts.
  • Stay out of all stores other than the Co-op, and Winco (dollar store "emergencies" only. $5 per trip limit, 2 trips per month MAX)
  • 1/20+ true no-spend days :
  • 0/$20 social spending
  • 0/2 Yoga sessions this month (more if I have extra $ later)
  • 0/$30 at-work eating (I get 30% off and it comes out of my paycheck)
  • SAVE tax return! (only exceptions: car registration, fix computer, and mothering subscription)
  • Save anything possible this month. Concrete saving goals start in Feb.

Key:
: = True no-spend
= Spending within budget
= Un-budgeted, but necessary
= "badgurl" spending (un-budgeted and unnecessary)

With all that out of the way, I need some advice: In my quest to spend less this month, I have come to a quandary. I have decided that I need some place to keep track of all my spending and since my computer wont be fixed until I get my tax return, it needs to be a notebook of some kind. The spender in me REALLY wants to go buy a notebook (a "good" one with lots of rows and columns meant for tracking financial matters), but obviously, it would somewhat defeat the purpose to spend money on something to help me save money right? So what do I do? I don't have ANY notebooks so I can't just use an "inferior" one that's just "lying around." I guess the simple answer is to go buy the cheapest notebook that will serve the purpose, yet the "spender" in me keeps saying I should get the "good" one because it probably won't cost much more (probably less than $2 extra), and I will be more likely to use it fatefully if its the "good" one. Thoughts?
#83 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 09:30 PM

1.I'm Summer, mama to 21mo DD and wifey to lovey DH. I baby-sit in home 2 days/week and WOH PT in the evenings. We just bought our first house in October of 2007 and we're getting used to having a mortgage, so we're all about saving money

2.My January Goals
  • Fly Away Family Vacation
  • Reduce Debt
  • Get bill pay organized

3.My Method to get there:
  • shop with lists and stick to them
  • eat at home 6/7 days
  • plan ahead
  • utilize free library services

My Key
:= at home
= No Spend
= Some Spend
= Major out of budget spending

01/01

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#84 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 09:36 PM

Jan 1

1/23 no spend days
/550 groceries (including diapers, rice milk for son, food, medicine, personal & household products, hubby's beer)
/695 payments against credit card
/0 personal spending

Key:
= not a penny spent
= spending within the budget
= necessary spending not in the budget (things I forgot/didn't plan for)
= unnecessary spending

#85 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 10:08 PM

Jan 1: $14.62 for Mom, DD1, and I to eat at Runza. Our January budget doesn't really start for us until Thurs. though, when our first paycheck of the year comes in.
#86 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 10:23 PM

January - here I come!
[1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself:
My name is Tiffany and although my husband and I are not really spenders, I would still like to see what I spend decrease.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of January. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases. We are currently TTC, and having trouble with that. Our insurance doesn't pay for meds or for IVF (if it comes to that), so we need to take a look at our spending. My first priority in spending is for my fertility meds.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?
Plan: Not shopping online (Amazon is my weakness) or in the store. I am good with that. I hate shopping.

TRY to curb my fast food purchases/ eating out purchases.

We are paying OOP for Infertility treatments, so we REALLY REALLY gotta keep the spending to a minimum

Proud mama to : Nicholas James born 3/19/09
#87 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 10:31 PM

My key:

= No spend at all

= Groceries, Gas

= Unnecessary spending

1/1-

Proud mama to : Nicholas James born 3/19/09
#88 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 10:37 PM

Good start to January with a true no spend; terrific day of powder skiing (free).

Jan. 1: (no spend!)

GOALS:
* Less than $100 in frivolous spending: month to date $0
* At least 25 days (no spend or spending w/in budget): 1/25
* Avoid Target: 1/31
* Pack snacks/water for outings: 1/31
* NO library fines: month to date $0
* Stay within grocery budget: $0/$430
#89 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 10:41 PM

DH and I really started the new year right. We took down all the Christmas decorations, vacuumed the entire house, re-arranged the basement (we're getting rid of two TV's and a VCR, leaving us with one little TV, yay!) so there's more room for DS to play while we do things down there, and just basically got lots of organizing-type stuff done. I really want to work on decluttering this year...I love the feeling of paring down and organizing the "necessary" things we have left.

1/1:

KEY:
True no spend
Necessary spending
Unnecessary spending

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#90 of 1124 Old 01-01-2008, 10:53 PM

Starting the new Month right!

Jan 1: No spend/no drive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page