Dumping Debt and building wealth with Dave Ramsey JANUARY - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 585 Old 01-15-2008, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet68 View Post
my2girlz: if you and your husband do not have problems with using cards responsibly (and only you can honestly answer this question) then I would use a credit card that is devoted solely to business expenses. At DH's company they will pay any interest charges incurred b/c they reimbursed him too late, so it literally doesn't cost us a dime. And it keeps those expensese completely separate from our personal finances (I always think it's a mistake to mix them up). Also, it provides a nice itemized list of expenses to submit.
I'm leaning towards using the card. It only has a $1500 limit so I think it would be perfect. DH and I sit down together now and pay bills so it would definitely be paid off every time he got reimbursed. I would have found excuses not to pay it before we started the plan. Now that we are working together and have a plan I don't see us doing that. We are in a different place now.

I do feel odd about using a credit card though.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#422 of 585 Old 01-15-2008, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I deposited $25 from babysitting today, taking us to $463.82/$5000 on the sell the truck fund. Saving seems to be going slower than it was in the beginning.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#423 of 585 Old 01-15-2008, 10:48 PM

Catching up after being gone for a couple of days. Hooray to all of you who have had successes. Barb, I'm thinking about you and hoping you are feeling well today.

Just paid off medical bill #2 - $160/160. Soo excited.

Due to our upcoming unknown tax bill, DH and I have decided to put our snowball on hold and put everything extra into savings until we know what we are going to owe. So I am putting $230 into savings with my $1K BEF = $1230. We will pay min. payments on car and two cards, and I think that's the wise decision (even though I REALLY wanted to start making double payments on the car this month!).

We just started FPU at a local church on Sunday night! Tanya, I'm excited that you guys are starting too. We are actually getting a 100% scholarship!!! Free class and free materials, and didn't even know it until we got there! Our instructor is a retired real estate agent who has become very passionate about Dave's plan and feels her calling during her retirement years is to help keep marriages together through financial peace. She and her husband our footing the bill for 16 families taking the class!

As far as the "what to sell" question, I am gathering items for a garage sale that I'm going to participate in in March. We sold our truck at the end of Nov., which funded our EF and allowed us to pay cash for Christmas for the first time. We don't have any other big items to sell, other than the kitchen table which will go in the garage sale.
#424 of 585 Old 01-15-2008, 11:46 PM

we've been selling stuff also, both on here and on ebay. we already have our 1000 fund done, but we are selling stuff to pay for the kids "extras" like ice skating, going to the farm show, etc. We went around the house and found lots and lots of books mainly. To pay off some of my medical bills, I am selling most of my longaberger. Which has left parts of my house looking bare, since I like to use the baskets to throw stuff, but I can get a decent price for them.

I would totally put chiro in the medical, I think most chiros I know consider themselves to be part of the medical professionals. And I know it's not a luxury for us when we go, it's good healthcare that prevents alot of problems down the road.

Haircuts come out of our household budget, my husband and boys go every 3 months or so, we look for local coupons. The girls go every 4-6 months, usually when there is a sale, like back to school. And I get mine done about every 6 months, in-between we trim at home and color at home (gotta hide that grey!).

My husband also has to do his expenses for his business, we have a separate credit card for that, it's a debit card really, we put a set amount aside into a separate account, and then if he doesn't use it, it comes back into our account.

My business has a separate account with a separate credit card and account. Every 2 weeks I write myself a check, plus one for the other midwife, my secretary, my girls (they make alot of stuff for me, put stuff together, babysit, etc.), the rest stays in for business expenses, it comes out to about 1/3 left every two weeks. So depending on how many clients I have, I can have a really good check or nothing at all.

What got us into trouble in the first place is that my husband used my income when we bought this place, which he wasn't supposed to do. We were supposed to only get qualified on his salary alone. So, I, being stupid, didn't bother to read over all that, he just went and found out the amount we qualified for (me thinking it was going to on just his account, with credit cards paid off with old house), when in fact, it was counting on a large amount from me, and the credit cards ended up not being paid off!!!! That has caused a ton of stress since i found out this summer when I realized we weren'tpaying all the bills, but rather putting things on credit cards each month. We have had to go see a counselor to help with all of this because I was ticked and ready to throw in the towel.

What I am looking for is someone who can be a third party each month, to help keep both of us on track, off each other's back, and keep us honest. But I haven't found that yet, only credit counseling places (which we don't really need, now we're caught up,not behind) or they charge a fortune!!!
#425 of 585 Old 01-16-2008, 02:27 AM

I have a question about ebay selling.

I have a lot of nice clothes that I am never going to wear. I used to shop a lot so I have an outrageous amount of things that I no longer wear because my current job is casual dress. I have many sweaters and longed sleeved items that I can sell, and I am a larger size, 26/28, so it is a hard to find size. Do you think I could manage to sell these on ebay? I have never sold clothing there before, so I am unsure of how to go about it.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#426 of 585 Old 01-16-2008, 02:45 AM

Okay I just added leftover grocery money to the EF.

New total is: $885.59/$1000

$114.41 left!! Oh my gosh, can I sell my husband?? I am so close, I can taste it!! Yay!!

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#427 of 585 Old 01-16-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Jaime View Post
Okay I just added leftover grocery money to the EF.

New total is: $885.59/$1000

$114.41 left!! Oh my gosh, can I sell my husband?? I am so close, I can taste it!! Yay!!

way to go!

Decluttering 500/2010
#428 of 585 Old 01-16-2008, 11:17 AM

WTG Jamie !!!!!!!!!!

Paying off Greenbriar apartments 1140.00 today with Dh bonus money !!!!!!!!!!!

Now we are trying to decide if we should save for door replacment (for heating cost) or pay towards another cc .
#429 of 585 Old 01-16-2008, 12:04 PM

I finally figured out how long it would take for Step #2. Almost finished with step 1.

Here are the numbers. This reflects a portion of our tax returns to go toward paying off HD, but there maybe more $$ to use. This also doesn't reflect the cards we have at 0% and 1.9% that are due to expire this year. I need to get the details of that first so I can update my spreadsheet calculations. We are allocating $1,100 each month to debt.

Home Depot $1,867.28 3/2008
car loan $3,681.69 2/2009
WaMu $7,078.28 1/2010
At&T $16,155.03 5/2011
UCU $11,465.43 12/2011
Chase $11,975.00 1/2012

We will be DEBT FREE in 4 Years!!!! Well sort of, then we have $100K in student loans and another $200K for Mortgage.
#430 of 585 Old 01-16-2008, 12:05 PM

To the poster who asked about reimbursable expenses? Can you DH ask the company to provide a company credit card?
#431 of 585 Old 01-16-2008, 12:37 PM

Small update on me:

Its official, we are moving. If an appartment is available April 1st we are moving then, and if not then May 1st. So we are working on saving for first and last month's rent, plus some money for startup things (setup fees for internet, etc). My storm on the horizen was sooner than expected so the pressure is on to save this money *now* and not use credit. We should know early February if a place is available for April, so we need at least $1200 then for last month's rent. I think we can pay first when we move in, so we have time for that. We also have to purchase a bed, as the one we have now my mom gave us, and she wants us to leave here when we move. So we went out and found one that wasn't too expensive, put a deposit on it, and they will deliver it the day we move. So we need that money too.

I was really hoping to have $5000 in cash prepared for this before it happened, to cover all of this and give a safety net, but now it seems I just have to earn it on the way. Oh well. At least we are staying locally so we will keep our jobs.

This will dramatically set back our debt repayment on my car, as it doubles our monthly expenses (which were low because we lived with my parents). At least we don't have student loans hanging over us needing payments anymore. But it renews my interest in getting that $500 a month payment off our backs. And once the move is over, we can focus back on paying it off with gazelle intensity since we won't have the unexpected expenses of the move hanging over us.

I am very happy to be moving. I NEED to move. I have survived living with my parents for 2.5 years. My sanity requires that I don't do it another summer, with both sisters home from university. Plus, its only a matter of time before I lose control of all the drama brewing under my parents noses, which will result in being abruptly kicked out. I'd much rather leave on my own terms.
#432 of 585 Old 01-16-2008, 01:38 PM

UUUGGGHHH.. Set Back!

I had a little extra money from my Dependent care reimbursement account that wasn't factored into the budget this week, and I spent $135 on a TON of diapers off the TP! Although these are really needed, and I plan to sell off a few of the covers I don't need. I will be listing a few things to sell on the TP today as well.
#433 of 585 Old 01-16-2008, 01:39 PM

Jamie, Your doing awesome! Keep up the good work.

Everyone is doing so well. Thanks for the motivations.
#434 of 585 Old 01-16-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2dea View Post
Now we are trying to decid if we should save for door replacment (for heating cost) or pay toards another cc .
I am in the same dilemna, we need a new wood stove fireplace insert and a new chimney liner. It is unsafe to use it as is and we have 3 cords of wood we are unable to use, and the oil prices are killing us! We are loosing so much heat out the exsisting set up we have now, but it is going to cost us $3k. No room in the budget this year. We could use a new door too.
#435 of 585 Old 01-16-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather423 View Post
I am in the same dilemna, we need a new wood stove fireplace insert and a new chimney liner. It is unsafe to use it as is and we have 3 cords of wood we are unable to use, and the oil prices are killing us! We are loosing so much heat out the exsisting set up we have now, but it is going to cost us $3k. No room in the budget this year. We could use a new door too.
I thought I would tell you that you may check your homeowners insurance... they may pay for that chimney insert and stove.

We just put in an insert and we could have gone thru our insurance --- but I have a friend in the chimney business who got us a good enough deal that we chose not to go thru insurance and have our rates raised (the rate would have been raised for 4 years - and after crunching numbers it wasn't worth it for us since we got a good deal on the insert.)

But a co-worker of my dh's did go thru their insurance - and had to pay the deductible but got a new stove and insert paid by insurance.
#436 of 585 Old 01-16-2008, 01:58 PM

oooooo. I will have to look into that.. My deductable is $1,000. That would save us a little. And I will be switching companies next month, so hopefully no premium increase.
#437 of 585 Old 01-16-2008, 04:20 PM

:

just starting on this journey and reading as much as I can...
#438 of 585 Old 01-16-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
To the poster who asked about reimbursable expenses? Can you DH ask the company to provide a company credit card?

Oooh! : My dh has one for work expenses.

I am so excited!!! I just got dh's W-2. Taxes will be filed by Friday, which means we just *might* be on BS3 by the end of this month instead of mid-February. Either way, I am very much looking forward to being on BS3 by 2/1/08. Unfortunately, I'll be there a looooong time. I hope to have a budget going by then as well. It will be a work in progress, but at the very least we will be caught up and have less expenses by then.

:
#439 of 585 Old 01-16-2008, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
Also, taking cards out of your wallet but not destroying them implies that you may need them again sometime... and not be committed to being debt-free. That is my psychology, at least. I even had my dad keep them for me, but they were still there "just in case." And those cases were never really emergencies.
I second this! We use only cash, check or debit card.

Be well,

Shane - Homeschooling mom to three boys (12, 1-, 8) and living the open life with my husband.

#440 of 585 Old 01-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Red

Quote:
sell the wood!!! One cord of dry wood here in western Mass, undelivered, goes for $175.Cover every window with plastic, using weather stripping around the doors, hangs blankets over the windows on cold or dreary days. Bitter cold?: Move family nto only one or two rooms. "Camp out", make it fun. Bake bread and make a pot of chili and cook brownies.

Jamie, you're doing great!

Barb, how's it going today?

dealic, sounds like a lot of changes are happening in your life! It's good to have a plan.

mom2dea

phathui5, I understand why you have a $5000 ef, but I think you're making a mistake setting such a high number for an early goal. If you had a goal of $1000, you'd be nearly 1/2 way there! Can you think about it differently?

To everyone else....Man, you guys post faster than I can keep up! stick with it!

Okay, I'm losing track...but to the poster who
#441 of 585 Old 01-16-2008, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanetedissac View Post
I second this! We use only cash, check or debit card.

Be well,
I don't even use our debit card. I keep it in my dresser but only carry cash. That really limits our stupid spending. We have to want something bad enough to go home and get the card. Cool-down time.

On a really frustrating note... looks like we have to get a minivan, and of course we don't have any cash saved up for it as we are just on BS2. We took my car to the baby store and tried every combination of 3 car seats and just couldn't make it work with 2 kids RFing and dh being very tall and needing the seat all the way back to drive. Any ideas? What would Dave say about having baby #3 and not having enough cash for a minivan? My dad just told me not to ever take all the kids in the car at once.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#442 of 585 Old 01-17-2008, 12:01 AM
mtm

Did you try the sunshine radian, its got the narrowest base of the carseats and we can fit 3 seats across our Pontiac Vibe using one radian (other two are forward facing though).
#443 of 585 Old 01-17-2008, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
Budgeting question: Dh and I disagree on this.

I operate us on a zero budget.

I paid my chiropractor copay ($20) out of my petty cash. Dh thinks we shouldn't have to do that. Dh also wants his haircuts to come out of the main budget and not his petty cash ($20 every 6 weeks). What do you all think?
Zero budget is a great thing. When it comes to the budge each person has a say. In our house I do the majority of the money stuff. Before we post our budget (I hangs next to the computer for us to see each day) I go over it with my dh. We have had about $150 extra from the budget the last few months and I let him choose where to put it. Our budget is pretty tight so that is mainly what he can change at that time.

Now, during the month if we know that we will need additional money for the next month in a particular catagory (like next month I need to increase our house oil catagory, eek on the price!) So, when I write up Feb I will have to adjust for that increase. I also have to adjust for an increase in pet catagory (our elderly dog is on pain killers now). So, I do not for see extra and may have to cut from other catagories.

We do have a catagory for hair care, medical and drugs. Currently it is set at $19, 20, and 13 for each month.

When we get extra we put it towards our 'extra list'. We do not have debt, except the mortgage, and this list is our way of getting the nice things It also lives where the budget lives and can't be changed after it has been writen up without duo concent. I needed to put house oil at the top due to the bill showing up yesterday for $140 over what we had in the current fund. (Current contribution is $130 a month. I'm bumping that up to $200 next month.) Things on our extra list are: gifts, vacation, chiro, woolies, eating out, bar mitzvah, alcohol. school (stuff for homeschool), wedding clothes (brother-in-law wedding in Nov in DC.). We give each one usually $100 and when the extra money comes in we check it off and fill the fund with that money. I have some accounts at the bank for some of the sink funds (bar mitzvah, vacation).

I'm a bit talkative tonight.

Be well,

Shane - Homeschooling mom to three boys (12, 1-, 8) and living the open life with my husband.

#444 of 585 Old 01-17-2008, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2dea View Post
Fustrated here and need some thoughts Our electric bill was 341.00 with the heat at 63/63 turned off at night and during the day if we would be gone during the day . When it has been warmer outside no air on for us . I am so fustrated I am FREEZING all the time I have 4 kids DS witch sleeps in TWO turtle necks cause he is so cold . the baby in a onise outfit and blanket sleeper . What eles can I do . ????

So tired
Sarah
I understand. We just got our oil bill and they just delivered less than a month ago. First delivery in Dec cost $485 and this delivery cost $221. I was not budgeting enough for the increase. We have our first floor thermistats off and use our wood burning insert stove. We get the wood for free and my dh chops and stacks it year round, aint he great! In our finished basement where the TV is we keep it at 60 (dh wants to get a programable therostate) upstairs where the bedrooms are it is kepts at 56. I put on cloths in the door ways from the hall to the kitchen and from the kitchen into the dining room. This keep the heat from the stove in the den and kitchen mainly. Hoping it will make to burn less wood so the wood will last longer.

There will need to be an adjustment in your budget for the increase in electricity.

You'll make it!

Be well,

#445 of 585 Old 01-17-2008, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2girlz View Post
Question for all of you:

DH is in sales and has expenses that he gets reimbursed for. He submits his receipts every week or so. Before starting getting out of debt plan we would put it on a credit card. Then after we started the plan we started paying for it with our checking account and get reimbursed roughly 2 weeks later. DH just increased his area to cover (most of the central US) and needs to fly more and has more expenses. Should we continue to pay out of our checking account or should we use a paid off card with rewards? We are talking about $500-$1000 in expenses every month.

I hope that makes sense.
You could start a work expense account that would hold the $1000 each month. You would have to front the initial $1000 and have a debit card attached to it. Then all expenses that he has to pay from from that account only and then when the reimbursments come in they go back to that account. The money would never be mixed with household money. There is less risk this way then with a credit card. Has you dh asked the company to supply his with a company card? One that is attached to the company and the expenses go directly to them and not to him? How about cutting him a check before he leaves on a trip?

Dave has had many callers in the same situation. He does not like how companies have their employees use their own money and then pay them back later for something they had to do for work.

I bother won't let my dh purchase items for work with his own debit or cash any more. They have to front it or get a store account. He is a teacher and also the school bus driver.

Be well,

#446 of 585 Old 01-17-2008, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
For everyone to do/answer

I'm reading the Total Money Makeover workbook and Exercise #54 is "What Could You Sell?" Make a list of the things that you could sell to get you emergency fund or debt snowball going.
Kelty Elite back pack carrier.

#447 of 585 Old 01-17-2008, 01:10 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm View Post
Did you try the sunshine radian, its got the narrowest base of the carseats and we can fit 3 seats across our Pontiac Vibe using one radian (other two are forward facing though).
Yeah, I know about the Radian; the issue is that 2 of the kids will be rear-facing, and after consulting with car seat techs, the Radian will not go in rear-facing in the middle seat, and dh is too tall to drive or sit in the car with any car seat behind him, let alone a tall Radian. So do we say that ds2 (who is only 22 lbs and not even on the %ile charts) has to face forward even though it would be *much* safer for him to rear-face? It makes me uncomfortable to make a financial decision that may endanger him. I'm really particular about carseat safety and trading off his safety to save money...

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#448 of 585 Old 01-17-2008, 01:12 AM

TanyaS has been telling me about her debt-free quest and I'm thinking of giving it a whirl here too. So, subbing to lurk for a bit, maybe even to post here and there, but especially to become inspired by all of you who are working so hard for your families.

Jackie
#449 of 585 Old 01-17-2008, 01:16 AM

BEF = $900/1000 now. It might increase a little by month end, but I feel good about this even if it doesn't.
#450 of 585 Old 01-17-2008, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi315 View Post
What I am looking for is someone who can be a third party each month, to help keep both of us on track, off each other's back, and keep us honest. But I haven't found that yet, only credit counseling places (which we don't really need, now we're caught up,not behind) or they charge a fortune!!!
Have you checked if there is a Financial Peace University class in your area? I hear that is great for third party support.

Be well,

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page