January 2008 pantry challenge - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 277 Old 01-27-2008, 01:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm glad to see a thread for this. This is my usual January tradition. Especially after DH sees the credit card bills after Christmas. :

Oh well. He's much happier now that he sees me using up food in the lazy susans and freezer!

Since starting my personal pantry challenge we've had shepherd's pie (actually I baked 3 and froze 2 for a later date), layered supper (a casserole with potatoes, carrots, onions, red or green peppers, ground beef, tomato sauce and cheese), spaghetti, chili and a pasta bean casserole. :

Hey, they say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach and it seems to be true around here!
#272 of 277 Old 01-27-2008, 02:31 AM

Well, we faultered a bit during the past week but then on Thursday I got my new refrigerator (woohoo!) and it is *smaller* than my old one - yikes! So, I am very well aquainted with everything in there (and tossed some old condiments and things I knew I wouldn't ever use or didn't want to.....) now. The pantry still needs the same treatment, though I have been trying to use stuff.

Our budget is tight until the end of the month (because of said appliance purchase!) so I am sticking to the plan this week. I buy eggs and milk weekly regardless and fill in produce, but I think we can get though until payday with nothing to buy except maybe greens.

I'll be in for Feb - still tons of grains and other things in the pantry to use.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#273 of 277 Old 01-27-2008, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

FOUR DAYS AND COUNTING....
how is everyone doing?? I am going to continue through February with only purchasing produce and perishables. We have lots of pasta and tuna left along with boxed potatoes and such....

In march i will restart my grocery game
#274 of 277 Old 01-28-2008, 02:37 PM

I did a big shop yesterday at Costco. I go with my mom and it was a convenient time. Spent quite a bit, but we'll use it all. So I'm definitely in for next month! We should only have to buy fruit, soy milk, and yoghurt.
Good news is I have almost emptied my freezer from my pre-baby cooking marathon.

Mama to 3:
#275 of 277 Old 01-28-2008, 03:28 PM

Good news. I used up some of my CREAM CHEESE. I had 3 slabs, and now I have 1. I made Fruit Dip for a work party. (Had to shop for some of the fruit.)

It was basically 2 8 oz packages of cream cheese (room temp), 1 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp+ of vanilla, a couple of pinches of cinnamon and milk to bring it to the right consistency (maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup). It was a big hit.

DH is really on the "clean out the freezer" kick with me after yesterday. So, hopefully we can make progress. He made a chicken (we have 4 more) for dinner last night, but it wasn't done in time for a reasonable dinner hour. Oh, well. It will be dinner tonight.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#276 of 277 Old 01-31-2008, 08:02 PM

Bumping this and glad to see this forum getting so much traffic!

How did everyone do??

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#277 of 277 Old 01-31-2008, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

We Did Well.. Playing Again In Feb

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page