January 2008 pantry challenge - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2008, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBugsMom View Post
Item Challenge: 5 or 6 28 oz cans of pumpkin.
I'd go with something like this. You could also make an easy pasta sauce with pumpkin as a base, adding some garlic and serving over, say, cheese ravioli.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBugsMom View Post
Item Challenge: 5 or 6 28 oz cans of pumpkin....I'd especially appreciate any kind of savory/main dish ideas, since I'm starting Weight Watchers and am not wanting to keep lots and lots of carb-laden treats (my downfall) around.
This is the pumpkin soup that I'm making on Thursday. (I got it from the FamilyFun website, and I've modified it slightly. For instance, the original recipe calls for heavy cream, but I'm using evaporated milk, instead, because I have it on hand.)

RECIPE INGREDIENTS:
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 large apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
2 teaspoons mild curry powder
3 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups solidly packed pumpkin mash or canned pumpkin
1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
1 whole bay leaf
1/3 cup evaporated milk
2 to 3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
Sour cream and chives, for garnish (optional)

1. Melt the butter in a medium-size soup pot. Stir in the onion, celery, and apple. Partially cover the pot and sauté the ingredients over medium-high heat until the onion is clear, about 8 minutes. Stir in the curry powder and sauté the mixture for another minute. Stir in 1 cup of chicken broth and cook it for 1 minute more.

2. Pour the contents of the pan into a blender or food processor, add the pumpkin, and puree the soup until it's smooth.

3. Pour it all back into the pot, then stir in the remaining chicken broth, the salt, and the bay leaf. Set the soup over medium-high heat and bring it to a simmer, stirring occasionally.

4. After 5 minutes, stir in the evaporated milk and 2 tablespoons of honey. Taste the soup, adding more salt or honey if necessary to get the desired balance of sweet and savory. Simmer it for 2 minutes more, remove the soup from the heat, and serve it hot. For a pretty -- and tasty -- touch, garnish each bowl with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of chopped chives. Makes 6 servings.

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

Old 01-02-2008, 06:14 PM

The first thing that comes to mind when I see canned pumpkin is pumpkin muffins!

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
Old 01-02-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyPrincess View Post
I don't even know what Italian Beefs are.

I grew up in Philly and moved to Virginia, one time I ordered a cheesesteak and boy was I surprised! It was nothing like what I was used to. I wound up buying minute steaks and having amaroso rolls shipped to me to make my own! :
See what I mean?? I ordered philly sandwiches here before too and no its not the same!!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 01-02-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
I'd go with something like this. You could also make an easy pasta sauce with pumpkin as a base, adding some garlic and serving over, say, cheese ravioli.
I am also going to make this. I have 6 cans of organic pumpkin left. I also had plans to make the pies and then DH agreed to pies yes, but apple pies which we made and his brother and SIL made the others. Fine, but now I have all this pumpkin.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 01-02-2008, 07:27 PM

I need to see how much pumpkin we have on hand, but I may try that soup as well. Thanks frog!

I have 3/4 tub of silken tofu left from making some yummy choco chip cookies. Any ideas (other than smoothies) of what to do with the rest?

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
Old 01-02-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydeParkB View Post
ITEM CHALLENGE: About 4 or 5 cups of bland grocery store refrigerated salsa.

I could use some suggestions. I bought a 1.85 l. size (64 oz?) of salsa for a retirement party at work. Well, we only used a little of it, and now I have a giant jar of salsa that we really don't like. DH canned some amazing salsa from our garden, so we just would rather use that for chip-dipping and as a condiment.

However, I hate to waste this. Does anyone have any ideas? We have vegetables and assorted meats in the freezer, especially pork and chicken.

My thought was to put a couple of cups of this in the crockpot with some chicken, green peppers and onions. Then use that over rice or in burritos for the freezer.

Any other fabulous ideas? I especially like the crockpot because I don't have to devote a lot of cooking time and attention.
My kids all like this - perfect comfort food. I leave out the peppers, but throw some crushed red pepper in the oil while cooking the chicken. Oh, and garlic. I always add garlic.

2 cups rotini pasta, uncooked
1 tablespoon oil
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
2 cups chopped red peppers
1/4 Italian Dressing
1 tablespoon chile powder
1/2 cup Salsa
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese

2. Cooking Directions
Cook pasta as directed on package.
Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken. Cook and stir 6 min. Add peppers, dressing and chili powder; cook 3 min. or until chicken is cooked through, stirring frequently. Stir in salsa and sour cream.
Drain pasta. Toss with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.

Jill H

(lucky mom to Amelia 17, Camille 15, Evan, 12 and Gracie 10)
Old 01-02-2008, 09:54 PM

Have you all seen this thread with all kinds of veg*n recipes? Might be helpful for ideas!
Old 01-02-2008, 10:01 PM

I'm in. I did this last January, and was amazed at how well we ate. I thought it would be rice and beans day in and day out, but I got pretty creative.

First we tackle the fridge, then the freezers, then the canned and dry goods.

No, actually, first I stop feeling like @$$ so I can get up and cook. Blech!

ETA: DH is making dinner tonight from the freezer: lentil/walnut burgers for me and angus for him. The little who eats solids can decide for herself which she'd like. We have lots of salad fixings in the frigo, so we can use those up too.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

Old 01-02-2008, 10:10 PM

Came back from my shopping trip. Spent $29.46, so about 1/3 of my monthly goal. Here's what I bought:
soy milk (2)
cheerios
bananas
bread
juice
onions
apples
russet potatoes
yoghurt
eggs
frozen peas

Mama to 3:
Old 01-02-2008, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Day 2.... ZERO dollars spent at the grocery or any store...

Breakfast was cereal and bananas
Lunch sandwiches and mac n cheese
Dinner chicken and french fries
pm snack veggies crackers and ranch w. cheese slices
am snack fruit snacks and mandarin oranges

evening snack... who knows...

i like this .... tomorrow i have plans for leftovers lunch and chicken/rice/veggie for dinner YUMMY... i have chicken broth to use up and i love that as the base for rice..
Old 01-03-2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiemonster View Post
ETA: DH is making dinner tonight from the freezer: lentil/walnut burgers for me and angus for him. .
do share the lentil walnut burgers!!

Old 01-03-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydeParkB View Post
ITEM CHALLENGE: About 4 or 5 cups of bland grocery store refrigerated salsa.
Salsa is a staple in my chili recipe. I dump beans, tomato juice (water if you are in a pinch and out of juice), chili powder, beef, and salsa in the crockpot in the morning and let it simmer on warm all day. If your salsa is bland, I'd just put in more seasonings to make up for it.

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:01 AM

Breakfast for kids: cold cereal with soymilk/milk, depending on sensitivities
Breakfast for me: mother's milk tea, ritz crackers with brie cheese

Lunch for kids: Peanut butter and jelly sandwichs. Last night's bread machine loaf didn't rise for some reason--came out as heavy as a brick, and about as big as one. So we pulled out one of the loaves of bread we have socked away in the freezer and toasted it up. Baby carrots, apples, cookies.
Lunch for me: Leftover fried chicken from the other day, baby carrots, an apple.

Dinner for kids: Hot dogs, baked beans, mixed veggies, tortilla chips.
Dinner for me: Chef salad with bleu cheese dressing.

Dh is fasting for the next few days, so dinners are going to be much simpler than usual. This will make using some things from the pantry that dh would turn down much easier, though!

Sarah ~ Kinda Crunchy Mom to 11yodd , 10yods, 10yods (MZ twins), 7yods , 5yods , 3yods

Old 01-03-2008, 03:53 AM

I'm in too - I need to do this more consistently. I also need to quit stocking up on sale items : And maybe this will encourage me to use the 'good idea' items. Like cornmeal to make real cornbread. Ah, if only my good intentions would just manifest themselves! :

Samm
Old 01-03-2008, 01:19 PM

We are having some unexpected guests for dinner tomorrow. They are close friends, though, so I don't need to do anything fancy. I'm going to just do spaghetti with meat sauce. I will put the sauce in the crockpot in the morning, so I don't have to worry about it later. I also have a cheeseball in the fridge that didn't get used on NYE, so I will serve that as appetizer. I'll make some garlic bread with some bread in the freezer and a nice big salad. We will be all set!

Dh loved the white chicken chili I made yesterday. We ate a ton and put 2 dinner sized portions into the freezer. I can't decide what to make tonight. We are going to be running around all day, but I should be home by 3:00 to get a decent dinner on the table. Hmmm, off to revisit my list.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:24 PM

CANS O' PUMPKIN:
I found this recipe in a Halloween craft & recipe book I recieved yesterday. I can't vouch for it, but it looks good, and uses TWO CANS of pumpkin.

Magically Spiced Pumpkin Soup

1 TB oil
1 large sweet onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 large Golden Delicious apple, peeled and coarsely chopped
3 slices (1/4'' thick) fresh ginger
2 1/2 cjups chicken broth, divided
2 cans (15 oz) solid-pack pumpkin
1 cup half-and-half
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp salt
black pepper
additional chicken broth (optional)
Pumpkin seeds or whipping cream

1. Heat oil in large saucepan. Add onion, apple, and ginger. Cook & stir 10 minutes over mediucm heat. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth. Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until apple is tender.

2. Pour onion mixture into blender; puree. Return to saucepan. add pumpkin, remaining two cups borth, half-and-half, curry powder, salt and pepper to taste. If soup is too thick, add additional chicken broth, a little at a time, until soup reaches desired consistency. Cook until heated through.

3. Sprinkel each serving with pumpkin seeds or drizzle cream on top to make a Halloween design.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:48 PM

I'm in - a Pantry Challenge first-timer (I thought I posted here last night but don't see it anywhere - ?). I've got to reduce my grocery budget! We're vegetarians, so never buy expensive meat. But today I've got to get some dairy products, beans, veggies...we're even nearly out of pasta.

I think tonight we'll have rice and honey-baked lentils.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:57 PM

It was my night to cook last night and I made Black Bean and Lime Chili, which used two cans of beans, two cans of diced tomatoes and a can of corn (amongst other things).

Great recipe for a work night, as it takes very little time if you've got already-cooked beans.

Black Bean and Lime Chili (modified from Ginny Callan's Beyond the Moon Cookbook)

2 cans black beans, rinsed (or two cups dried beans, cooked)
2 tbsp canola oil
1 c chopped onion
8 large garlic cloves, peeled and chopped (or to taste)
1 medium-large jalapeno pepper, minced
1 c chopped red bell pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
One 28-oz can whole tomatoes with their juice, coarsely chopped (or two cans diced)
1 c fresh or frozen corn kernels, or a can drained (optional)
½ c fresh cilantro (also optional)
¼ c fresh lime juice
1 tsp salt
Cayenne (optional)

Working in batches, puree all but 1 c of the beans with some liquid and return them to the pot.

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion, garlic, jalapeno, red pepper, and oregano until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.

Stir the vegetables into the beans, along with the tomatoes and their juices, the corn, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and cayenne to taste. Simmer for 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:10 PM

After looking thru the freezer, I decided we will have the lobster bisque that is in there for dinner tonight. I will put a big salad and some nice bread with it and it wil be perfect. I'm not sure the kdis will eat it, if they don't I will make them some Amy's mac & cheese. :
Old 01-03-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamavegan View Post
I have 3/4 tub of silken tofu left from making some yummy choco chip cookies. Any ideas (other than smoothies) of what to do with the rest?
I'd use it to make a fabulous creamy soup. With the weather we're having, I'd go for potato, myself.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:39 PM

Ingredient Challenge: I have 2 pounds of dried kidney beans that I had previously cooked in the crockpot, then tossed in the freezer because I didn't have time/ideas for incorporating them in a dish. Does anyone have a good recipe for red beans & rice? Or another idea (other than chili -- I already have some spicy meals in the freezer and am looking for something different) for using up the kidney beans?
Old 01-03-2008, 05:09 PM

Goals met in red:
Boxed
*Finish a box of freakin cereal. There are SEVEN open boxes, PLUS a box of cracked wheat and a box of TJ hot cereal. My goal is to use up at least three boxes, for breakfast/snacks/etc. 1 box killed (granted it was already opened).
*Use up one of the disgusting hamburger helpers DH insisted on buying. BLECH. Preferably for dinner and leftovers when I'm making a veggie meal he won't eat

Frozen:
*Use up two of the containers of frozen veggies.
*Use up at least one of the containers of frozen soup (I'm the only one who will eat it).

Bulk
*Use up the black beans and lentils. This will leave me with only oatmeal in my bulks (other than flours, which I use a ton of anyway)

Canned
*Use up two canned fruits or veggies
*Use up two cans broth

Other
*Use up sun-dried tomatoes
*Use up most of dried fruits/nuts/veggies bought for snacks - I won't need new as I've got a Just Tomatoes shipment coming soon.
*No waste in fridge! Esp. use up mushrooms, veggie juice, homemade yogurt, and homemade hummus!

As an added bonus, the mushrooms and stock were used to cook up most of a bag of this weird 27 (17? 32?)harvest grains mix I picked up at Trader joe's that's been sitting on the shelf FOREVER.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenegirl View Post
Ingredient Challenge: I have 2 pounds of dried kidney beans that I had previously cooked in the crockpot, then tossed in the freezer because I didn't have time/ideas for incorporating them in a dish. Does anyone have a good recipe for red beans & rice? Or another idea (other than chili -- I already have some spicy meals in the freezer and am looking for something different) for using up the kidney beans?
Korean Kidney Beans

3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon ketchup
3 cloves garlic, crushed (or more, to taste)
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (or more, to taste)
1 (19 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained (or 2 cups cooked beans)
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 cup water

Combine soy sauce, brown sugar, 1/3 cup water, ketchup, garlic and ginger in a saucepan.
Add beans.
Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in 1/4 cup water.
Add to bean mixture.
Cook, stirring constantly, 1-2 minutes.
Serve over rice.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:24 PM

I made the pumpkimmushroom soup and its yummy! Maggie is all yellow on her nose from eating it.

I am making some sweet bread to use up some of the 18 eggs my mom gave us before leaving for FL. Maybe turn it into cin rolls or something.

tonight, its "take out" of the freezer, chicken and dumplings. I will whip up a batch of fresh dumplings. I need to make room in my freezer, we get our split of a side of beef next week.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:36 PM

Oh, I'm glad to hear good reviews for the soup. I may make some tonight.

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
Old 01-03-2008, 07:50 PM

I am joining this thread a bit late as we've just returned from the holidays. We need a pantry challenge desperately as our cabinets are stuffed and we are moving overseas soon and obviously can't take anything with us. Off the top of my head, I know we have a lot of:

Natural applesauce
Misc. leftover baking supplies from the holidays-chocolate chips, Chex cereal, powedered sugar, stuff we don't normally keep on hand
Candy given to us as gifts-should this go to DH's office?
3 bags of frozen fruit
Trader Joe's Sweet and Sour Sauce, Kimora (sp?) sauce
Canned green beans and corn
At least two jars of natural peanut butter
Lots of cereal (Trader Joe's O's and Grape Nuts)
Tons of spices and condiments
Some 365 soda from Wild Oats
Two bags of noodles
Lots of wine and some alcohol

My freezer is fairly empty-I have a few pounds of ground beef (browned and ready to eat) as well as a bag of cooked/diced chicken. I will need to buy fresh fruit, veggies, and dairy each week, although we are good on cheese for a little bit. We are having company in two weeks for several days, so that will be an excellent chance for us to use up some of the things that we don't normally keep on hand. I don't have a ton of time to spend in the kitchen this month either, so quick ideas and/or freezer recipes will be a lifesaver for me. I would be thrilled if our cabinets were close to bare by the end of this month!

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:11 PM

I have so many baking supplies left from the Christmas baking I never did (I was 9 months pregnant and couldn't motivate myself to make anything). So I need some suggestions to use up unsweetened chocolate! I bought it to make truffles for gifts but personally don't really like them... any other yummy ideas?

SAM, momma to 3 beautiful babies: Tristan (5), Gabriel (4) , & Brighton (2)

Old 01-03-2008, 11:15 PM

Hi. I haven't been around in ages...but you know, it's a New Year and all that jazz...

Oh, and student loan payments have begun. $1400 a month. That's more than our rent. Pantry challenge here I am...

To the person with the canned pumpkin (sorry, I always forget to look at names!) - I found a recipe tonight for pumpkin-coconut soup. It's on allreceipes.com and it has leeks and coconut milk, and I'll try it within a week or two.

My dh, dd and I all eat entirely differently. Dh has Type 1 diabetes, dd has multiple allergies, and I eat whatever's some combination of fastest and cheapest (and, relatedly, am overweight).

I'll be checking in for ideas and inspiration along the way...dh is going to the store tonight for eggs and produce, but I think that should be about it for a couple of weeks, at least for dd and me. He runs to TJs himself for nuts (they're sooooo expensive but he lives on them) and peanut butter, so I'm sure that will happen soon.

Just wanted to say hi, I guess, and thanks for doing this.

Happy New Year,
Jude
Old 01-03-2008, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenegirl View Post
head cabbage, chopped
46 oz. can V--8
3 cans stewed tomatoes
1 can rotel
2 cans red beans
1 can kidney beans
1 package dry Italian Good Seasons dressing

Mix and simmer about an hour and a half (till cabbage is softer)

I used the recipe this way to use what I had on hand. red beans I used red and white kidney beans and black beans. I did not have any cabbage so I used baby bok choy instead which I think is sometimes referred as Chinese cabbage. I also added sweet onion and yellow pepper chicken sausage. I served it with grated parmassian.

Heidi

User Tag List