January 2008 pantry challenge - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-07-2008, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just found out I am going to a meal exchange and the theme is soup. So I will have to make 6 6 cup portions plus 2 cups to the party for sampling. That should be fun and I will get 5 more different soups to try. I did a meal exchange once w some mainstream moms and it wasnt good. But my LLL friends cook like I do so it should be great.

Next week we pick up our side of a side of beef. Also ordering frontier this week so I should be set. Went to grocery, spent cash only!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2008, 02:54 AM

Amy, could you explain Frontier to me a little? I currently order most bulk stuff (and some not bulk) from Azure Standard...is Frontier similar?

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010
Old 01-07-2008, 01:56 PM

Well I managed to use up some ravioli that was hiding in my freezer and some artichoke pesto that I was given for Christmas for dinner last night.

I actually went through the freezer and cupboards today and organized them so I could find what was hiding, so I need to use up:

-frozen burrito filling
- split peas
- lasagne noodles
- egg noodles
- penne (small amount)
- matzo meal
-crushed pineapple
- pineapple tidbits
- romano beans
- chick peas
- pizza sauce
- cream of celery soup
- canned beets
- tikka marsala sauce
- tomato sauce
- tuna helper
- sweet & sour sauce
- plum sauce
- kidney beans
- alfredo sauce
- soda crackers

... now to find some recipes to use this stuff up!

SAM, momma to 3 beautiful babies: Tristan (5), Gabriel (4) , & Brighton (2)

Old 01-07-2008, 03:23 PM

I made the pizza for Saturday night (and STILL have some pepperoni left over), and DH took DD out for a while (I was wiped out) and...came home with Outback last night (totally cool - he got a gift card for xmas from my parents, so, no worries). :

Tonight, I think I will make the Falafal, as DH will probably be stupid late - and he can finish up the rest of the pot roast that is languishing and really needs to be eaten SOON! We'll see if DD will eat falafal; if not, she loves pot roast.

I am ordering more Just Tomatoes and some stuff from Frontier (mostly drink-y type stuff), but, it's actually stuff I need or want to try - sorta (I need to get DH switched off that disgusting Swiss Miss cocoa).
Old 01-07-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic-momma View Post
Well I managed to use up some ravioli that was hiding in my freezer and some artichoke pesto that I was given for Christmas for dinner last night.

I actually went through the freezer and cupboards today and organized them so I could find what was hiding, so I need to use up:

-frozen burrito filling
- split peas
- lasagne noodles
- egg noodles
- penne (small amount)
- matzo meal
-crushed pineapple
- pineapple tidbits
- romano beans
- chick peas
- pizza sauce
- cream of celery soup
- canned beets
- tikka marsala sauce
- tomato sauce
- tuna helper
- sweet & sour sauce
- plum sauce
- kidney beans
- alfredo sauce
- soda crackers

... now to find some recipes to use this stuff up!
Minestrone soup! (I've no idea what romano beans are, and wheter you could throw those in as well)

Sweet and Sour Chicken or Pork - although you'd have to buy some meat

Alfredo Lasagna Roll-ups - you'd have to buy or make some ricotta (very easy to make), and throw some veggies in.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katheek77 View Post
Minestrone soup! (I've no idea what romano beans are, and wheter you could throw those in as well)

Sweet and Sour Chicken or Pork - although you'd have to buy some meat

Alfredo Lasagna Roll-ups - you'd have to buy or make some ricotta (very easy to make), and throw some veggies in.
Thanks for the ideas! I actually have some chicken in the freezer and ricotta in the fridge, so that's perfect!

SAM, momma to 3 beautiful babies: Tristan (5), Gabriel (4) , & Brighton (2)

Old 01-07-2008, 04:03 PM

Alright, we've covered salsa and canned pumpkin in here.

Now I'm wondering what to do with a can or three of jellied cranberry sauce (not whole berries). I'm thinking maybe I saw a crockpot recipe that used the sauce as a marinade for pork. I may just have to eat it as nature intended. Or rather, straight from the can.

Any ideas?

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:22 PM

Cranberry Chicken (I'm sure you could adapt this for pork - I use less bbq sauce, though, than the recipe calls for, or else it's too sweet for me, and I usually add some diced carrots and about 1/2 t of ground mustard, as well - if you reduce the amount of bbq sauce, make sure to add some water - I forgot to once, and it was, wierdly gelatinous).

3-4 lb Chicken pieces
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1/2 C diced celery
1/2 C diced onions
16oz can cranberry sauce
1 C bbq sauce

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 6-8.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:36 PM

Just ate up some turnips that have been in the fridge for a few weeks. Mixed them with some apple and lemon juice, not too bad.
Dd's bday is Wed. so I've got to go shopping for cake ingredients. She wants to go out to eat.
I think we'll eat out of the freezer again tonight. Dh was amazed he could actually see the back of it. I've got to make room for all this breastmilk I'm storing.

Mama to 3:
Old 01-07-2008, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ok, Ill give it a whirl.
We are a family of two, so technically for us this should not be hard. I do however, have a few daycare children which requires a bit more planning on my end.
I do like to keep some dried non-perishables on hand for emergencies, but since I already have my stash I won't need to go get more. I just won't dip into it either.

Right now dd and I are into eating salad with no fixings. Surprisingly tasty and so much easier to prepare. We also splurged on a box of tangerines and that has been our main stapple for the past 2 days. They are just about gone. Just in time for the bananas to reach peak ripeness, mmmm.

Decluttering 500/2010
Old 01-07-2008, 05:07 PM

Doing pretty well here. Haven't really been to the store and the fresh stuff is getting pretty low. I think I'm going to do breakfast for dinner tonight. I shop on Wednesday, so I can deplete the few fresh things I have left. So, pancakes, eggs, and bacon for dinner tonight. We'll also eat grapes and apple slices. I'm taking a whole cut up chicken out of the freezer to thaw for tomorrow's dinner and we'll have that with some kind of rice dish and whatever few veggies are left.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:20 PM

I'm running out of canned goods! I'm going to start shifting my focus to my fridge, where we have a ton of different little jars of sauces and things for meals we don't prepare often enough.

I've already started tonight's dinner. I have unstuffed bellpeppers simmering on the stovetop right now and it smells so good. I used to stuff them, but DH would eat everything inside the pepper and not the pepper itself! So now, I just buy 1 pepper and saute it in with the onions and mushrooms for flavor. Yum!

Snobby joes are next on my list for dinners and then pomegranate tofu.

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
Old 01-07-2008, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

updates in red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1growingsprout View Post
Weekly Meal plans (dinners only)

Sunday Dinner.. Lasagana and garlic bread - complete
Monday... Pizza and salad - complete

Tuesday...Ham potatoes veggie
Wednesday Chicken rice veggie
Thursday Leftovers with soup
Friday Pasta dish
Saturday Pasta dish

Breakfast goal... use up this freaking cereal .... also we have eggs and toast
Lunch... sandwiches and quick grabs to use up misc items this week...

Snacks... Yougart, crackers, fruit
Old 01-07-2008, 11:40 PM

We used up some pasta that's been sitting in the cupboard for months, and the remaining romano cheese for it.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeciMami View Post
Amy, could you explain Frontier to me a little? I currently order most bulk stuff (and some not bulk) from Azure Standard...is Frontier similar?
www.Frontiercoop.com/wholesale

I run one at least every other month as some members of this challenge can attest to (pm me ladies......) but sometimes I just order myself if I have enough of an order of me and a few others IRL. I get spices, flour, soaps, cleaning supplies etc and seventh generation...

now back to the challenge:

I made some speggetti w/ a huge huge chicken breast that fed all of us on top of the speggetti. Also a salad w tidbits- dates, goat cheese and balsomic vingr and olive oil dressing.

Need to bake again, Sunday I made cinnamon rolls, we had 12 and ATE THEM ALL!!! I need to make some cookies with all the chips I have.

Does anyone have like a smore cookie recipe to bake?? I have mini marshmallows to use up.

We will have risotto to use it up and also, I remember getting a lentil and brown rice patty recipe to use as a veggie burger on mdc. Anyone have any ideas??? I figure I can use up my brown rice.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 01-08-2008, 01:43 AM

I made sesame noodles with potstickers from the freezer tonight.
Need to plan next weeks meals.

Mama to 3:
Old 01-08-2008, 01:56 AM

cranberry sauce (I have used jellied and whole) mixed with a bit of grape or apple juice concentrate and water makes a great sorbet. melt it all together on the stove. I add a bit of agave necter to sweeten it if needed. let cool. I freeze it in a 30 min. electric ice cream maker.

mom to four lively children. birth and postpartum doula. midwifery student. choosing to enjoy life. :
Old 01-08-2008, 02:07 AM

Teachermom, I love that idea for the cranberry sauce! I think I'll try that when the ice cream runs out in a few days.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:12 PM

Ok, so here's my meal plan for this week.
1/8 broccoli millet croquettes with white bean aioli and green salad with sesame dressing
1/9 dd's 6th bday, she wants to go out for Chinese
1/10 couscous with pistachios and apricots with roasted butternut squash
1/11 something out of the freezer
1/12 chickpeas romesco with saffron garlic rice and beet greens
1/13 something out of the freezer
1/14 penne with vodka sauce

Mama to 3:
Old 01-08-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeciMami View Post
Which one did you try? I want to make it now too!
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1648...252202,00.html

It was posted earlier back and its yummmy!

Old 01-08-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katheek77 View Post
I am ordering more Just Tomatoes and some stuff from Frontier (mostly drink-y type stuff), but, it's actually stuff I need or want to try - sorta (I need to get DH switched off that disgusting Swiss Miss cocoa).
I have to fess up, I could use the piles of that in my pantry too! I am thinking of dumping the just veggie stuff into some sort of soup. I needed mushrooms one time in a bind and dumped a just mushrooms into the meal and it worked just fine.

the girls eat the fruit stuff like its going out of style. They do not like the terra farms strawberries though.

What drink stuff are you getting from frontier? You always order cool stuff when you order....

Old 01-08-2008, 10:44 PM

I am starting to be (slowly) able to send to the back parts of my pantry. (It's in a deep cabinet.) Tonight, I made chicken tetrazzini. By doing that, I used up the remainder of a box of noodles, made a dent in the gallon of milk we need to be using up, and also used up the rest of the homemade rolls I made earlier in the week. Instead of slices of bread which we never have around anyways, I just cubed up the rolls for crumb topping.

We have two bottles of organic ketchup in the pantry, so I will need to figure out a good recipe that uses lots of ketchup to make. We also have a lot of canned emergency foods, which we need to start using. We've got lots of green beans especially.

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Today im sick, we had a multitude of single serve items... tv dinners, spaghetto's PB&J for lunch etc...:
Old 01-09-2008, 12:19 AM

I used up more of the lentils in my cupboard tonight for the honey-baked lentils (again), and gave my son a Smart Dogs hot dog with it, and sliced up a red pepper that is soon to kick the bucket.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:31 PM

Monday we did the leftover pot roast/falafal as planned.

Last night we did boston baked lentils, oven roasted potato sticks, and hot dogs. I ended up altering my orginal plan, but, I didn't have to spend any money, so, I'm still happy - my goal was to use up the lentils, and I did.

Tonight...Breaded Chicken Strips, Brown Rice (possibly w/sun-dried tomatoes?), and veggie (whatever's in the freezer/pantry - or if I get ambitious, I'll make tzimmes to use up the carrots and pineapple).

I need to get chicken out...like, right now.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:47 PM

Last night was this amazing soup turtle made that incorporated squash, wild rice, split peas, lentils, miso, potatoes and probably things I don't even know about. It was FABULOUS and she made a nice big pot of it, so we're giving some of it to our midwife in exchange for our upcoming IUI.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
What drink stuff are you getting from frontier?
Nothing exciting - some hot cocoa mix (on sale!), some rooibos (I have dedicated the past two weeks to working through the stash of tea in the cabinet), and we're going to try the Hemp Shakes mix - I ordered a couple of single servings in different flavors, to see if we actually like them.

I do the same with the Just Veggies vegetable stuff...I LOVE to sneak the carrot bits into different things (I did that last night with the Boston Baked Lentils)...they tend to blend in very well. I think my DD would kill me if she found me using her "beh-wees!" in some sort of cooked conconction.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:01 PM

Still going strong here. We had roasted chicken last night and we will eat the leftovers today. I made my grocery list for this week and the meal plan for next. I had a pork roast, whole chicken and ground beef in the freezer. I will be making a crockpot pork roast with potatoes and carrots, whole roasted chicken with stuffing and corn, and tacos next week. They should all last 2 days and then we will have homemade pizza on the other day. I only need to get milk, bread, some salad stuff and some random fruit from the store!
Old 01-09-2008, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just made bread dough with the easiest recipe I have ever seen.
I will be able to make dough a few more times with what I have left- except for eggs. Those I will need to buy, unless the hen that I can't seem to butcher starts laying again.

Decluttering 500/2010
Old 01-09-2008, 10:07 PM

BunnySlippers - Care to share that easy recipe?

I'm taking the day off. It's dd's bday, we're going out to eat for dinner and I bought sweet making stuff at the store for cookies and cake. I'll be back in full swing tomorrow!

Mama to 3:

User Tag List