January 2008 pantry challenge - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 277 Old 12-30-2007, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone up for the challenge....
I promise to only shop the outside of the grocery store... i will use up my staples and cook from ingredients i have as much as possible.

Things that are non-negotiable are DD's special formula and baby items....

I forsee only having to purchase produce,bread,dairy if i can be firm and stick to plans...
#2 of 277 Old 12-30-2007, 09:36 PM

I'm in, although I probably won't be an active poster. I have a stocked freezer and pantry and I (should) know how to use them! I do plan on buying things that don't store well but I need to get a dent in the things we have on hand. I need to make menues so I can ensure that I use up what we have
#3 of 277 Old 12-30-2007, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Just found 2 boxes of Ritz crackers and one samsclub size box of Club crackers... im thinking mini snack-wiches for PB&J and cheese/deli meat.... whoo-hoo a couple days what we can go w.o bread...
#4 of 277 Old 12-30-2007, 11:42 PM

I'm in. Just lost a long post and I have to get dc to bed. More later!

Mama to 3:
#5 of 277 Old 12-30-2007, 11:46 PM

I am in!!!

praying.gif Angela married to DHsuperhero.gif......DDguitar.gif age 7 , DDblowkiss.gif age 5 ,  DSsleepytime.gif age 4 and sadly 2 angel.gif  in heaven, Catholic and ribbonwhite.gif with a dash of crunch: hang.gif    chicken3.gif  homeschool.gif

#6 of 277 Old 12-30-2007, 11:54 PM

I'd like to say I'm in, but my pantry is completely empty because I had to clean it all out and used up most of everything at the beginning of December when I knew I was going to be away indefinitely caring for my grandfather. Now that I'm home I need to go shopping and buy food or go hungry
#7 of 277 Old 12-31-2007, 12:44 AM

I'm going to try to clear as much as possible out of the pantry and freezer. We have a ton of dried beans and assorted rices. The freezer is stocked with meats, veggies from the garden and cheeses.

I know we won't completely stay out of the stores, but I'd like to really lower the grocery bill, and clear out some shelf space. There are too many things stored on the counter, and it's making me batty. Plus, we just need to get rid of some of the old stuff in the pantry.

For tomorrow's dinner, I've got a lasagna ready to go in the oven. Everything was in the house - noodles and spices in the pantry, jar of sauce in the fridge, and homemade Italian sausage, cheeses, spinach, zucchini from the freezer.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#8 of 277 Old 12-31-2007, 12:53 AM

First time....
I'm in-I already foresee a trip for bread and coffee tomorrow and we have several birthdays in January so I will do my best to operate under those circumstances.
I will try to stay within my $40 of tutoring money per week for dairy, fruit, and veggies and encourage DH to stay away from his football beer (although it is playoffs!). I think we have enough for it to be doable once I start making menus.
We'll start Wednesday since my birthday is on the 1st:
Wed-Hot "Sausage" Soup (veggie version)
Thurs-Lemon Roasted Chicken and broccoli
Fri-Quesidillas (sp?)
Sat-Mac/Cheese
Sun-Tuna Subs

Mama to Noah and Sophie and Stella 7/4/ 2010
#9 of 277 Old 12-31-2007, 01:21 AM

I'm going to try it, though I just went shopping this weekend so that's easy to say, now!
#10 of 277 Old 12-31-2007, 01:33 AM

I'm in! I will still need to do some shopping, but would be nice to clear out the odds & ends and use up some of what is in the freezer.

Anyone have any good ideas of what to do with saltine crackers???

SAM, momma to 3 beautiful babies: Tristan (5), Gabriel (4) , & Brighton (2)

#11 of 277 Old 12-31-2007, 01:40 AM

With saltines, my mom makes these "Health Bar Cookies" at Christmas every year.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-To...rs/Detail.aspx

Of course, that may not fit with your new year's resolutions.

I would think they could be used like bread crumbs when crushed - as a breading for meats or vegetables, or as a filler.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#12 of 277 Old 12-31-2007, 02:18 AM

I'd like to join. Most of my food tends to come from the outer perimeter of the store, anyhow. I have canned items that have been sitting in the cabinet for too long, so I'd like some extra motivation to use them up. I also have a lot of different rices, vinegars, and oils in the pantry - some with very little left in the jar.

Hopefully, this will expose me to some new recipes and help me streamline what I have and what I actually need!

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#13 of 277 Old 12-31-2007, 02:22 AM

I am subbing for inspiration, but not really sure I can do it.
#14 of 277 Old 12-31-2007, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I want to join. My freezer need defrosting badly. I want to use up as much stuff as possible before defrosting. My pantry is not too full but it needs organizing. I'll try to buy only fresh produce, bread and dairy.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#15 of 277 Old 12-31-2007, 10:17 AM

I will be joining, but I'm not sure when I'll be back home {I'm out of state at the moment}. I should be home by the 7th though.

I'll start then.
#16 of 277 Old 12-31-2007, 01:15 PM

I'm in! I am doing my grocery inventory tonight, and will plan meals for the month tomorrow.

I will make meals for the month from what I have on hand, with an allowance of $100 for fresh veg and bulk spices.

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#17 of 277 Old 12-31-2007, 01:50 PM

nak
Argh, I keep losing my posts! We'll see if it'll work this time.
My freezer is a bit overstocked from getting a little overzealous while I was nesting. So I have quite a few meals I can eat out of there. My dry pantry is pretty full, grains and such can definitely use a thinning out.
My CSA resumes on the 8th, so between those veggies and what I've got we should be good. Right now I've got onions, potatoes, cabbage, carrots, and turnips we can eat.
My goal is to spend $100 or less at the grocery this month. I'll go for milk, eggs, fruit, bread, and some snacks.
I'll figure out my meal plan for the week and post it in a bit.

Mama to 3:
#18 of 277 Old 12-31-2007, 03:58 PM

I would love to try!
Is it cheating if I state that first I need to get cereal? After that I plan to only buy produce, dairy, flour, and tofu.
#19 of 277 Old 12-31-2007, 04:16 PM

Since the challenge dosent start until January, you have all day to buy groceries or cereal or whatever you need!

My pantry and freezer are filled to the brim so I will be joining in. I have to thin out some of my bulk stuff. Plus the canned goods are plentiful.

This is a good time to do this because I have to pay for my 1/2 side of beef this week, CSA in Feb, and I forget what else. Oh yes, time to order frontier!

I will go to the grocery for Milk, fruit, lettuces, and one or two items here and there. I see several types of cookies being made this month to use up things. The first challenge I did in Jan 05 I made some really cool desserts to use up things and dh brought them to work and I also had for desserts one night and everyone loved them. All to use up a half a bag of walnuts!!

I also discoverd how yummy bacon was on pizza to use up two pieces.

I see this being fun so enjoy and it will be.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#20 of 277 Old 12-31-2007, 04:21 PM

I'm in, I'm going to cut and paste the thread I started for myself in Meal Planning, maybe you all can help me more!

Would anyone like to help me plan meals from my pantry?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just took an inventory of my pantry and I want to plan some meals around it. We are currently in an apartment while we have some renovations done and I don't want to build up too much of a stock because I don't want to move it back. I can and will buy meat/produce/perishables to go with pantry stuff to complete meals. I just am trying to keep the pantry down to a minimum.

Here's my list.

Baking stuff (I didn't bring stuff to do major baking, my bread pans, mixer, etc. Most I could do is simple quick breads, not even muffins)
Sugar
Brown sugar
flour
vanilla extract
almond extract
TJ's pancake mix
cornbread mix
cocoa
oils
vinegars
salt
brownie mix
chicken bouillon
bread crumbs
italian seasoning
greek seasoning
taco seasoning

Canned
6 cans pineapple
2 spaghetti sauce
salsa
greek olives
4 Amy's cream of mushroom
4 cream of chicken
2 black bean
2 kidney bean
2 white bean
corn
6 diced tomato

Boxed
TJ's au gratin potatoes
2 taco shells
2 TJ's stuffing
2 lasagna noodles
3 spaghetti noodles
popcorn
8 annies mac & cheese
2 penne noodles

Other
wild rice
bread crumbs
white rice
peanut butter
quinoa
tuna
pepperoni

We eat everything, vegetables, meat, salmon. We don't do Indian food. We like hispanic, italian, greek, a lot of other things. My 1 and 4 year old eat most anything. I have several differents meats in the freezer and we always have a variety of veggies and fruit. Right now I have chicken, pork, and beef in my freezer and asparagus, cabbage, salad stuff, grapes, apples, oranges, strawberries that I can think of off the top of my head. Just to give you an idea of how we eat.

Thanks!

eta: We have no food allergies or sensitivities. I am eating a ton because I'm pregnant with twins, so I eat about 3000 calories a day! Plus, some convenience items I'm not used to having, but I have now due to pregnancy cravings.
#21 of 277 Old 12-31-2007, 04:32 PM

I'll join! I have a bad habit of buying food that looks interesting and then never cooking it, so I could use this challenge!
#22 of 277 Old 12-31-2007, 06:44 PM

Alright, I've got my meal plan through the 7th.
1/1 - Pasta e fagioli. I've been craving this and thought New Years would be a good day for it. Plus there will be leftovers for lunch through the week. Using dried white beans, potatoes, canned tomatoes, onions, pasta, and carrots.
1/2 - Bean and potato salad. Using beans and potatoes from the pasta e fagioli.
1/3 - something from the freezer
1/4 - Boston baked beans. Weather is supposed to be bad, so something in the oven all day should be nice. I'll serve with cornbread or tortillas. Using pinto beans, onions, garlic, canned tomatoes.
1/5 - something from the freezer
1/6 - Cornmeal crusted tofu and coleslaw. Using tofu, cornmeal, cabbage, and carrots.
1/7 - Lentil and rice pilaf. Using onions, lentils, and rice.

Mama to 3:
#23 of 277 Old 12-31-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkm2e View Post
I'm in, I'm going to cut and paste the thread I started for myself in Meal Planning, maybe you all can help me more!

Would anyone like to help me plan meals from my pantry?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just took an inventory of my pantry and I want to plan some meals around it. We are currently in an apartment while we have some renovations done and I don't want to build up too much of a stock because I don't want to move it back. I can and will buy meat/produce/perishables to go with pantry stuff to complete meals. I just am trying to keep the pantry down to a minimum.

Here's my list.

Baking stuff (I didn't bring stuff to do major baking, my bread pans, mixer, etc. Most I could do is simple quick breads, not even muffins)
Sugar
Brown sugar
flour
vanilla extract
almond extract
TJ's pancake mix
cornbread mix
cocoa
oils
vinegars
salt
brownie mix
chicken bouillon
bread crumbs
italian seasoning
greek seasoning
taco seasoning

Canned
6 cans pineapple
2 spaghetti sauce
salsa
greek olives
4 Amy's cream of mushroom
4 cream of chicken
2 black bean
2 kidney bean
2 white bean
corn
6 diced tomato

Boxed
TJ's au gratin potatoes
2 taco shells
2 TJ's stuffing
2 lasagna noodles
3 spaghetti noodles
popcorn
8 annies mac & cheese
2 penne noodles

Other
wild rice
bread crumbs
white rice
peanut butter
quinoa
tuna
pepperoni

We eat everything, vegetables, meat, salmon. We don't do Indian food. We like hispanic, italian, greek, a lot of other things. My 1 and 4 year old eat most anything. I have several differents meats in the freezer and we always have a variety of veggies and fruit. Right now I have chicken, pork, and beef in my freezer and asparagus, cabbage, salad stuff, grapes, apples, oranges, strawberries that I can think of off the top of my head. Just to give you an idea of how we eat.

Thanks!

eta: We have no food allergies or sensitivities. I am eating a ton because I'm pregnant with twins, so I eat about 3000 calories a day! Plus, some convenience items I'm not used to having, but I have now due to pregnancy cravings.
Here's my meal plan for the next week or so. These are just the main dishes, I will supplement with salad and veggies/fruit. The parenthesis are the items from the pantry.

1. Spaghetti with meat sauce and meatballs (x2) spaghetti noodles (2) spag. sauce (2) ground beef in freezer (1) meatballs in freezer (1)

2. White Chicken chili in crockpot (x2) cream of chicken soup (1), white beans (2) cream of mushroom soup (1) shredded chicken from freezer (1) corn (1)

3. Red chili, kidney beans (1), ground beef (1), black beans (1), diced tomatoes (1) we will have this one day over rice (1) and one day over corn chips

4. whole chicken cut up and baked in the oven from freezer, with quinoa pilaf (1),

5. chicken casserole with leftover chicken from the meal before and leftover rice from the chili, plus spaghetti noodles (1)

I'll make cornbread to go with the chili (3) and we'll eat the leftovers for breakfast. I'll use the pineapple to make fruit salad that we'll eat for breakfast and lunch. I can use the pepperoni's to make tortilla pizza's for lunch and the peanut butter for sandwiches, also. The olives will go on salads.

I'm going to try to come and post what we actually eat each day to try to stay accountable.
#24 of 277 Old 12-31-2007, 11:40 PM

I am in!!! I started out doing one in Dec, but fizzled out when I got busy with holiday stuff

I have a little extra motivation to clear out things right now because:

1)There are still things lurking in my pantry that have been there too long and the whole thing needs reorganized.

2)My refrigerator is on it's last legs so we might be getting a new one very very soon. So, I don't want it to be stuffed if it suddenly goes out!

3)We are considering a move this summer so I am trying to clear out much of the excess in our home - in all areas.

One problem I have right now is I can't really bake like I had been. There is a problem with my oven so I am not comfortable using it until it gets looked at (again : ). I had been making bread and working toward making all of our crackers and such from scratch, but can't for a while.

My menu so far:

Tues
breakfast: oats with leftover cooked apples and cranberries
lunch: chicken veggie bean soup using up leftover chicken and homemade broth
dinner: something with my black eyed peas, kale and maybe some chicken sausage but I don't have an exact dish yet (ideas???)

Wed:
breakfast: eggs or oats
lunch: ?
dinner: red lentil curry

That's all I have for now but that buys me a couple days to get creative.

I'll be supplementing fresh produce and dairy for sure, and probably meat at some point, but I want to use the tons of beans, grains and pasta in our pantry as much as possible! If I can just use that stuff up I will be very happy

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#25 of 277 Old 12-31-2007, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Ok today i just did a mini shop to get us over the hump... bread, milk, baby items..

Tomorrow we are having
Breakfast...pancakes/syrup
lunch... sandwiches and chips
dinner... pasta/sauce/bread rolls

Wednesday
Breakfast... sticky buns
Lunch... soup/crackers grilled cheese
Dinner.... pasta leftovers w. added veggies and a salad

Thursday
Breakfast... oatmeal
Lunch...hotdogs/mac n cheese
Dinner... chicken /rice/veggies

Friday
Breakfast... cold cereal or poptarts
Lunch... spaghetto's and veggies
Dinner... Any leftovers or item of choice

Snacks are from our 'snack jar' and the rule is NO NEW SNACKS can be opened until we have significant progess on our current open packs...

I vow to stick to this as best as possible and NOT GO GROCERY SHOPPING UNTIL SUNDAY (at the soonest)
#26 of 277 Old 01-01-2008, 12:42 AM

I'm in. DH and I agreed to get some of our outgoing expenses under control. One of the first things we are tackling is the food budget. We spent an average of $750/month on food in 2007, and it is only the two of us!!! That included a lot of eating out, obviously, and also includes purchasing seeds for our garden.

Before I even saw this thread, we agreed that tomorrow we were going to inventory the pantry, freezer (we have a 14 cubic foot upright) and refrigerator, make a meal plan with those ingredients and a minimum of items from the store. I'm definitely going to need to get some fresh vegetables and fruit, but not sure what else until we do the inventory.
#27 of 277 Old 01-01-2008, 12:58 AM

i'm in . I just got groceries today. I would like to use all of it up before buying too much more. Guess I need to make a menu!

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#28 of 277 Old 01-01-2008, 02:13 AM

We inventoried the refrigerator and freezers while we watched Rockin' New Years Eve on TV. We have it on a spreadsheet and there's already about 100 items listed. We still have to inventory the pantries! We are going to do that tomorrow, though.
#29 of 277 Old 01-01-2008, 03:19 AM

I'm in. Here's my menu for the week.

Monday~leftovers
Tuesday~chicken drumsticks, rice, broccoli
Wednesday~beef stew, biscuits
Thursday~pork, rice, veggies
Friday~fish, asparagus
Saturday~roasted chicken, potatoes, carrots
Sunday~bacon, ham, potato soup, biscuits

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#30 of 277 Old 01-01-2008, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1growingsprout View Post
Ok today i just did a mini shop to get us over the hump... bread, milk, baby items..

Tomorrow we are having
Breakfast...pancakes/syrup
lunch... sandwiches and chips
dinner... pasta/sauce/bread rolls

Wednesday
Breakfast... sticky buns
Lunch... soup/crackers grilled cheese
Dinner.... pasta leftovers w. added veggies and a salad

Thursday
Breakfast... oatmeal
Lunch...hotdogs/mac n cheese
Dinner... chicken /rice/veggies

Friday
Breakfast... cold cereal or poptarts
Lunch... spaghetto's and veggies
Dinner... Any leftovers or item of choice

Snacks are from our 'snack jar' and the rule is NO NEW SNACKS can be opened until we have significant progess on our current open packs...

I vow to stick to this as best as possible and NOT GO GROCERY SHOPPING UNTIL SUNDAY (at the soonest)

So far today we are juggling the list but are sticking to the grand theory..
Breakfast was cereal and cookies
Lunch was hotdogs and chips...
SNACK is assorted veggies from the fridge, cheese and ranch dressing... crackers too... what a great way to prepare my veggies for the pasta sauce...
Dinner is going to be pasta and salad

As long as i stick to the menu plan i dont really care what order things are made in... again as long as nothing goes 'bad' waiting its turn

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page