Jan '08 Lower Income and/or Struggling Mama's Support - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 689 Old 01-06-2008, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
minutes after the birth
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2.../01_06_0-1.jpg

next morning when we got to visit her
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...gs/01_06_3.jpg

next morning
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...s/01_06_21.jpg

first time mommy holds Grace
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...s/01_06_16.jpg

daddy and Grace- nearly 24hours old
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...s/01_06_17.jpg

Pics are a bit dark due to it being low lighting in the nicu and she's extremely light-sensitive so we didnt' use the flash much. Hopefully I'll get some good pics of her in her first clothing tonight at her feeding.
She's beautiful!! And you look awesome, never mind the fact that you've just given birth!

Jaime, feel better.
#302 of 689 Old 01-06-2008, 09:48 PM

Congrats on not being pregnant, 2Sweeties! Feels weird to type that, but since it's what you want.
#303 of 689 Old 01-06-2008, 09:52 PM

WIshing you a good trip, Sandygirl! And hope your DD is better.
#304 of 689 Old 01-06-2008, 09:58 PM

justmama...congrats. Your picture bring back my preemie experience in July. We were 34 weeks...the first moments (the gloved hands/needles/tubes), the first pictures in the incubator...if you need any support I'm here. I glossed through all of that but if I was honest with myself it was hard.

4 kids under 10
#305 of 689 Old 01-06-2008, 10:01 PM

Oh, and leaving the hospital while my baby stayed was very hard for me too. Almost surreal. So strange.
I also was longing for my perfect birth...I'd had one induced hospital birth with epi, one natural hospital birth and felt I was "coming home" with my natural homebirth. Baby had other plans. It's something I had to grieve and am still slowly grieving. I'm sorry you didn't have the birth you planned.

4 kids under 10
#306 of 689 Old 01-06-2008, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

{{{{{{{{{{{{{justmama}}}}}}}}}}

She is gorgeous!!!!!

My first also was in the NICU and I had to leave without him too.

Resistance is futile Matey
#307 of 689 Old 01-06-2008, 10:57 PM

What a beautiful little girl. Congrats on baby Grace.
#308 of 689 Old 01-06-2008, 11:03 PM

I'm new. Hubby and I have always been lower to lower-middle class. Then I had Dom, and we decided I'd be a SAHM, no matter the cost, no matter the grief from my family (because I'm "wasting" my education), no matter what. I am so blessed to be able to do this.

We struggle. My hubby's been out of work since the week before Thanksgiving, and my Mom's been paying our rent, and it's still late every month. The car payment hasn't been paid since November and credit cards are in default. We don't get enough foodstamps to make a difference (but I have a meeting on the 15th to hopefully increase the amount). We eat a lot of beans, lol!

Through it all, though, I'm grateful that we have ENOUGH. I'd like to have some extra sometime, but ENOUGH is a lot more than some people have. Dom has health insurance through the state, we have a roof over our head, we won't starve.

I think you've got a wonderful thread going!

Welcome to the world, Baby Grace!

VivC

Mom to Dominici (5 years old)

http://mommywriting.com

#309 of 689 Old 01-06-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivC View Post
I'm new. Hubby and I have always been lower to lower-middle class. Then I had Dom, and we decided I'd be a SAHM, no matter the cost, no matter the grief from my family (because I'm "wasting" my education), no matter what. I am so blessed to be able to do this.

We struggle. My hubby's been out of work since the week before Thanksgiving, and my Mom's been paying our rent, and it's still late every month. The car payment hasn't been paid since November and credit cards are in default. We don't get enough foodstamps to make a difference (but I have a meeting on the 15th to hopefully increase the amount). We eat a lot of beans, lol!

Through it all, though, I'm grateful that we have ENOUGH. I'd like to have some extra sometime, but ENOUGH is a lot more than some people have. Dom has health insurance through the state, we have a roof over our head, we won't starve.

Welcome! Have you applied for WIC too?
#310 of 689 Old 01-06-2008, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
minutes after the birth

next morning

Pics are a bit dark due to it being low lighting in the nicu and she's extremely light-sensitive so we didnt' use the flash much. Hopefully I'll get some good pics of her in her first clothing tonight at her feeding.
She is darling! I have to say mama looks pretty dam good too for just having had a baby!

Seriously?
#311 of 689 Old 01-06-2008, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome VivC!

Resistance is futile Matey
#312 of 689 Old 01-06-2008, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You mama's have been busy! I've been gone a few days and wont even try catching up there's been so many posts. I had a fun couple days, Friday I was sitting in the front seat nursing the baby when some lady hit me in the parking lot pulling in and didn't even realize it, pulled in way to fast and acted irritated when I called her on it and told her she hit me and she totally didn't believe it until she saw her car parked smack up against mine, she thought she hit the curb! If I hit the curb I back up a bit, guess that thought didn't occur to her. Its a really tiny dent in my front fender, not worth hassling over (I got rear ended last Dec and was in pain for months and got screwed after the jerk said I backed into him which was totally not true) after my last experience. Apparently she hit me a little harder then I thought cause my neck and back have been hurting since a few hours after the accident I ended up in the hospital for the day yesterday cause I forgot to take my meds and ended up with heart arrhythmia's and joy o joy that lower back/flank pain I've had for a couple days is from a UTI and I'm anemic again which sucks I swear Celiac SUCKS. Its an insidious disease and even when you treat it right and NEVER cheat it still bites you in the ass on a regular basis. I had to spend most of the money I had for my PG&E bill (those people are extortionist! Got my 1st full months bill Saturday, didn't go over baseline for gas or electric and it was still $90!) to pay for the only vitamins my body seems to absorb (Twin labs prenatels and Tri-Boron-Plus) so I wouldn't end up in the dang hospital again. (ok, so I didn't totally forget, I couldn't afford them either) now I gotta figure out how I'm going to pay PG&E.

Seriously?
#313 of 689 Old 01-07-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
You mama's have been busy! I've been gone a few days and wont even try catching up there's been so many posts. I had a fun couple days, Friday I was sitting in the front seat nursing the baby when some lady hit me in the parking lot pulling in and didn't even realize it, pulled in way to fast and acted irritated when I called her on it and told her she hit me and she totally didn't believe it until she saw her car parked smack up against mine, she thought she hit the curb! If I hit the curb I back up a bit, guess that thought didn't occur to her. Its a really tiny dent in my front fender, not worth hassling over (I got rear ended last Dec and was in pain for months and got screwed after the jerk said I backed into him which was totally not true) after my last experience. Apparently she hit me a little harder then I thought cause my neck and back have been hurting since a few hours after the accident I ended up in the hospital for the day yesterday cause I forgot to take my meds and ended up with heart arrhythmia's and joy o joy that lower back/flank pain I've had for a couple days is from a UTI and I'm anemic again which sucks I swear Celiac SUCKS. Its an insidious disease and even when you treat it right and NEVER cheat it still bites you in the ass on a regular basis. I had to spend most of the money I had for my PG&E bill (those people are extortionist! Got my 1st full months bill Saturday, didn't go over baseline for gas or electric and it was still $90!) to pay for the only vitamins my body seems to absorb (Twin labs prenatels and Tri-Boron-Plus) so I wouldn't end up in the dang hospital again. (ok, so I didn't totally forget, I couldn't afford them either) now I gotta figure out how I'm going to pay PG&E.
Feel better!
#314 of 689 Old 01-07-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
minutes after the birth

next morning

Oh! She is beautiful!! What a lovely family you have mama. She's so tiny!

Quote:
I hope the money comes to you mama. Get better.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#315 of 689 Old 01-07-2008, 01:49 AM

#316 of 689 Old 01-07-2008, 02:01 AM

Needs List Update!

You can take out my need for a potty seat. I spent a gift card today and I'm going to give the potty seat to her as a birthday present.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#317 of 689 Old 01-07-2008, 02:09 AM

This thread moves FAST! Yes, we have WIC - we're automatically eligible because Dom's on the state insurance.

VivC

Mom to Dominici (5 years old)

http://mommywriting.com

#318 of 689 Old 01-07-2008, 04:56 AM

Satori!!! And welcome Viv! to all the mamas here.
#319 of 689 Old 01-07-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivC View Post

welcome viv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
Needs List Update!

You can take out my need for a potty seat. I spent a gift card today and I'm going to give the potty seat to her as a birthday present.
yay! don't bring it back

Quote:
i know the feeling of buying vits and supps at the expense of other billsits needed, though. if you can't function....and i can't....without the supps, you just gotta do it.

and it always works out....scary, but it works.

justmamaGrace is so pretty. those cheeks my littles always have those big yummy cheeks. and very content. sending perfect growth and mama milk vibes your way!

so, good morning mamas!

i'm grumpy this morning started bleeding early and in the middle of the night....now i'm crampy and beat.

i need to get edie ready for school....be back

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#320 of 689 Old 01-07-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediesmom View Post

yay! don't bring it back

Damn! You know me too well!
I will try very very hard not to return it!!

I've got to go wake dh up and see if he can bring my daughter to school. Sierra missed her bus this morning because she couldn't put her shoes and socks on fast enough. Poor thing fell off her sled yesterday with her father and landed on her tail bone. She's walking around whining, "You have NO idea how bad this feels mama!" Oh I don't? Course not. I only broke mine while I was in labor with your sister.. but oooookay! She's been walking around saying that she can't put her shoes on herself, and that she can't pick anything up on the floor. I have to giggle about it, because gosh.. yanno... I think she might know what it feels like to be pregnant me right about now.

I have an OB appointment this morning, and some errands to run, bills to pay.. I shall return!

Have a great morning ladies!

ediesmom I hope you feel better today.

Welcome Viv!

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#321 of 689 Old 01-07-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
minutes after the birth

next morning

Congratuations! Those are some beautiful pictures. It's wonderful to hear she is doing so well.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#322 of 689 Old 01-07-2008, 01:09 PM

Congrats, justmama! She's a doll. Here's to a short & easy NICU stay (though it's never easy, is it?).

When BeanBean went to NICU, one of mike's aunts said something about how convinient that must be for me, that I could go home without the baby and get things absolutely perfect before he came home. As if I could think of anything other than getting back there every three hours. I really wondere about the way that some people think.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#323 of 689 Old 01-07-2008, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oh justmama shes soooo tiny and cute!!!

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#324 of 689 Old 01-07-2008, 01:17 PM

i just feel like crying

i have a million things to do today, i'm grumpy and bleeding, and a gf called at the last minute idno a sitter

so, of course...i'm sitting

and time is moving SOOOOOooooo....slow

my body is here.....my mind is downtown

and she asked me not to take the lo out

oh, and they are ALWAYS late.....for everything. so, even though i am expecting them by 1230, i know it will be later

the lo is someone i enjoy, tho....so that makes it bearable

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#325 of 689 Old 01-07-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
minutes after the birth

next morning

She is so precious!! And you look amazing, btw, for just having given birth!

I feel much better today. DH candled my ears last night and I slept for, oh, about 14 hours He woke me up for some soup and grilled cheese last night, then I went right back to sleeping. I feel so much better today, almost human again

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#326 of 689 Old 01-07-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianyoushi View Post
the state will cover dd's medical insurance til july 08 but will not cover ds 's after this month. i am so annoyed. gota call them monday....

anyone understand this????

both kids r dh's
ashlyn is 19 months older

there reason stated on the paper work said alex's income was 448.62 more then allowed... i didnt know a 13 month old can have an income..
update:
called them: : : : :

ashlyn-dd- her coverage doesnt end til july 2008 because i guess i applied for her last july..

alex ends this month because hubby made too much money...
i didnt speak with my case worker cuz she is out of the office today but spoke with another person. they said that they take the three months pay checks-( u send copies in when u apply)average the gross income and if its under the 3100 u are qualified.
now i have to wait for hubby's pay to level off(he has been working over time alot the last 2 months to help us get out of debt)- hubby *thinks* we will be able to reapply for alex in april or may...) i really hope that is true because i really want him to have coverage.
#327 of 689 Old 01-07-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianyoushi View Post
update:
called them: : : : :

ashlyn-dd- her coverage doesnt end til july 2008 because i guess i applied for her last july..

alex ends this month because hubby made too much money...
i didnt speak with my case worker cuz she is out of the office today but spoke with another person. they said that they take the three months pay checks-( u send copies in when u apply)average the gross income and if its under the 3100 u are qualified.
now i have to wait for hubby's pay to level off(he has been working over time alot the last 2 months to help us get out of debt)- hubby *thinks* we will be able to reapply for alex in april or may...) i really hope that is true because i really want him to have coverage.
i'm sorry mama...it makes NO sense

....can we all keep things like this in mind while we are out voting for our next president?

it burns my butt that our littles don't have healthcare coverage, but people actually base their votes on things like gay marriage..KWIM?:

all their coveted tax cuts.......so we can go hungry! but is the gov't saving? absolutely not! they are spending way more than ever.....on a war! on corporate welfare!

thanks for the tax break, mista, but i would prefer to feed my neighbor and make sure they have healthcare coverage....maybe next time.

#328 of 689 Old 01-07-2008, 02:17 PM

Congrats justmama! And welcome to the world Grace! I'm so glad that things are going so well, all things considered. You'll both be in my thoughts ~smiles~
#329 of 689 Old 01-07-2008, 02:18 PM

i wished they didnt look at gross income- but look at income to debt ratio instead..

omg i just relised something...our wic is gonna drop alex now.:
#330 of 689 Old 01-07-2008, 02:36 PM

Feeling really blah today , did some calling around to see if there is any assistance for dd's daycare. Once again still in that grey area, sorry you don't qualify. :: Turns out the area agency that helps with this sort of thing requires that all adults in the household be working.. gee if I had a job I probably would not need any help :.

Yet its a catch 22, pull dd out save $600 a month yet lose her slot, but when I get a job, no place to put her. There are very few quality centers in my area, we were on the waiting lost 7 mos to get her in and the director already told me if we pull her out, the wait to get back in could be upwards of a year. : The only other place that is good that would have a smaller waiting list is a thousand a month.

But we really could use the money so that FIL does not have to help so much..ugh I left the director a message that we are reducing her to part time so the costs will go down by $170 a month so that is a good thing.

Got the paperwork for food stamps, after doing more reading, that does not look likely either :. Tried WIC last month, income too high.

Hate being in this grey area, just need a little help until we are stable again, right now we have too much income for any assistance but too little to cover all our bills.

Talking about relocating but how the hell do you do that with no money and no place to land?? Only place we could land for free is AZ and for our professions that is not necessarily any better than where we are now. Of course then rather than FIL covering the mortgage we would be at his house..

Got the Sunday paper yesterday to look through the help wanteds, why the heck did the movie theatre require you to send a resume (not like I don't have one) but once upon a time, a job like that you just showed up and filled out the application.

Not hopeless but just tired, actually answered the phone when the credit card folks called today, sorry no job, no money you are not a priority at the moment. I am just trying to keep the basics going.

Hope everyone is well, will post more later. Thanks for the safe space to vent.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page