Jan '08 Lower Income and/or Struggling Mama's Support - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 689 Old 01-11-2008, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyTamara View Post

My son had a little friend from school with him home today. One he likes to play with, but who has never been to our home before. (My son doesn`t like to play with other kids at school much. He says they make him tired, so it`s pretty important to me that we try to make the few friendships he does have, good ones.)

Well, we, my son and I, live in a tiny, tiny rentet apartment. I mean tiny. About 300-350 sq. feet. One bedroom, (About half the apartment is that bedroom, actually, so my sons room isn`t very small.) a tiny bathroom and a tiny, tiny combined kitchen and livingroom.
AND, me and my son coosleep, on a matress on the floor of his room.
We are happy with both the size and the sleepingarrangement, by the way.

This friend is a great kid. But he comes from a "normal" family, with mama, papa, 2 siblings, a big house with lots of space. And he wasn`t able to keep his thoughts to himself when he saw our apartment.

"Is this all there is ??" "Is THAT your bed??" "Don`t you have a stair to go upstairs to more rooms??" "Don`t you HAVE a kitchen??"
And he lauged about the lack of space, and mostly about my sons bed. He wasn`t being mean, just very 6 YO. :

"Luckily" my son doesn`t always GET these kinds of comments. He doesn`t always seem to understand that this kind of laughing is a little negative. But I am worrying about the day he DOES get it. And it made ME a little sad.

Sorry to whine. I just needed to get it out.

A big to everyone who needs it!!

I don't live dissimilarly to you and your ds....and i can honestly say that i wouldn't change it. dd and i co-slept until she was 10....we have little...we live very frugally.

the few times i have overheard comments from dd's friends I have spoken about how I really want to live in a small space. that the location, yard, parking, access to downtown, neighborhood etc are the reason we stay here....all the truth. our space is small, but our lives are huge....and this apartment, though small, is perfect in every way.

in a few years when you are done co-sleeping...a futon or a daybed will work.....and btw, i would love an 'open' floor plan between the kitchen and livingroom

you are not your apartment. you are a wonderful mama who has chosen to live in an affordable space.

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#422 of 689 Old 01-11-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediesmom View Post

I don't live dissimilarly to you and your ds....and i can honestly say that i wouldn't change it. dd and i co-slept until she was 10....we have little...we live very frugally.

the few times i have overheard comments from dd's friends I have spoken about how I really want to live in a small space. that the location, yard, parking, access to downtown, neighborhood etc are the reason we stay here....all the truth. our space is small, but our lives are huge....and this apartment, though small, is perfect in every way.

in a few years when you are done co-sleeping...a futon or a daybed will work.....and btw, i would love an 'open' floor plan between the kitchen and livingroom

you are not your apartment. you are a wonderful mama who has chosen to live in an affordable space.
Awwww! Thank you!

Yeah, personally I love our home. It is a 3-4 minute walk downtown, it`s in a very special part of the city with only wooden, very old houses, lots of crunchy/alternative/artistic/student people are living here AND my sons father lives next door. I can see his apartment from my livingroom window. This was the biggest reason for renting this place.

But I am still a little concerned. I just don`t want my son to be ashamed of me, of our life.

Thank you so much for kind and encouraging words.

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

#423 of 689 Old 01-11-2008, 05:50 PM

We live in a small place too although not that small. We have 4 soon to be 5 people in a 2 bedroom about 750 sq ft duplex. As we had been homeless living in a hotel before moving in here it was a step up, but I'm still ashamed to have people over. I also really love where our place is and the great yard the kids have to play in. We are in very easy walking distance to the best school around for dd. They have a ton of special needs stuff at her school and while we could get her in if we didn't live here it's much easier to just get in as it's our neighborhood school My dd is also going to be missing a friend's bday party tomorrow. It's dd's birthday and we had already worked our budget out so dh could take her to do her book-it pizza thing tomorrow and get a treat afterwards. I also can't work our budget to get a toy for a little girl who's mother will tell you she is spoiled

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#424 of 689 Old 01-11-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_kristina View Post
Morning ladies. We are doing pretty good so far this month. The FPL bill even got paid the day before the final notice showed up here. I've also been told on the Family Safety board of a seat that sounds perfect for my ds who is about to be too tall for his current convertible. It's a new one from Graco called the Nautilus. It's hard to find at this point since it's just being released to stores, but from what I'm seeing it looks perfect for him and our vehicle. Now I just have to trust that we will be able to come up with $150 price tag on it. I'm hoping we have about 2 months until he is too big for the convertible, but we will need the seat he is in by April for the baby even if he still fits in it. I've spent too much time recently wishing my kids weren't so big and didn't grow so fast. I'm trying to just be thankful that there are seats like this one out now that don't cost as much as the Britax ones.

When it comes to carseats, I'm really glad my kids are teensy people and slow growers. BooBah actually rode in a standard infant seat (up to 26" & 20 pounds) until she was 14 or 15 months old, iirc. Bella, likewise, didn't actually outgrow the infant seat when she was moved-- we just bought the new carseats when we got tax return money those years, because we knew the time was coming. BooBah and BeanBean are both forward facing now, but only because I had to move their seats to the back row in anticipation of new babies. Bean only hit 40 pounds a couple of months ago, right around his fifth birthday, and BooBah's nowhere near it at 3.5 years old. Bella will be two in March and I can't imagine turning her carseat around. Then I look at her size compared to other two year olds and I remember why.

My older niece is having an especially heinous time in school lately. This is nothing new, but each day the stories she brings home are more horrifying. I think this would be the perfect time to pull her-- the second semester at Agora begins on the 23rd, but even if she takes her placement tests this weekend her materials won't arrive until after SeaMonkey. It'd be absolutely *perfect*. I'm totally willing to do it-- single, working parents manage to homeschool their kids with little/no help, and they'd have me-- someone who's already educating her kids at home. I've been trying to get them to homeschool since she was in kindergarten, but lately things have just been wretched. She just got information about this year's Envirothon, something to which she's been looking forward and probably the only thing that she's really wanted to do in school this year, the only thing that would potentially have *her* wanting to go. . . and even she will say, "But I'd still rather homeschool, Envirothon just isn't worth it." Given the choice, she'd give up the Envirothon in a heartbeat if it meant she could come home with me. :

Anyway, next year she's supposed to go into middle school, and mom is terrified to send her to the public school. They've been looking at a Montessori school, but while I think BizzyBug would probably thrive in that sort of setting, I don't think that it'd be terribly helpful for Chibi. She likes the idea, but she prefers homeschooling/cyberschooling when asked. She's terribly jealous that BeanBean is cyberschooling. It helps, too, that Bean is doing very well and that Agora is bending over backwards to see that his needs are met-- it's not just hot air blowing the way it is in their local school district, these people are not legally bound to do much at all for Bean but they're still busting their behinds to do right by him. So I'm going to keep after my mother, who actually had the nerve to say that if I hadn't gotten pregnant, this wouldn't be a problem. (I don't believe her, but it's possible. )

Still irritated as heck with Mike, but pleased as punch with my new keyboard (note the return of the capital M ). SeaMonkey is still trying to escape by any means necessary-- I'm craving things like prunes (blech!!!), Grape Nuts (very difficult to eat when your teeth are as messed up as mine), sauerkraut. . . you get the idea, everything but castor oil itself. Likewise, I've had an overwhelming desperation for orgasms of late, as well as Nursing Mother's tea. It's so, so difficult for me, because I'm a big proponent of paying attention to what your body is telling you on the one hand, but on the other my body seems to be saying "You should be going into labor very soon" and my mind is railing against that non-stop for any number of reasons. I couldn't stop myself from eating the prunes, but I've been fighting the rest. . . only to find myself awake at three in the morning, covered in Shredded Wheat or Bran Chex or something, with a cup of hot water in the microwave.

Oh. My nieces' grandmother is back in town. This was relevant to me for a few reasons; Firstly, despite the fact that I've never gotten along well with my sister's ex (that's a bit of an understatement, but I'll spare ya'll the list of UA violations ) I've always gotten on well with his mother. She and I understand one another. Secondly I've been craving her fried chicken for about three months. The reason she's back in town, though, is complicated and sad-- she's a paranoid schizophrenic who had been having some major issues, and one of her other daughter-in-laws actually went and picked her up out of state to bring her back here and get her some help. The thing to understand is, this is a woman who is almost unnaturally compliant when it comes to her medications, who *knows* that she has problems and recognizes when she's hallucinating-- most of the time. Of late, she's been having major issues differentiating between reality and hallucinations. *Huge.* My mother spent most of the day with her in the ER on Wednesday-- so much so that after I woke from the nap I took (it was supposed to be 45 minutes-- next thing I knew, BizzyBug was calling me and nearly four hours had elapsed ) my sister sent me to look for mom, from whom nobody had heard since noon.

So now she's in the hospital, and hopefully they'll adjust her medications and get her psychosis under control. She was really far gone, though, it was kind of scary. At least she was willing/able to sign a voluntary commitment form-- she definately needs more than a 72 hour stay. I'm kind of worried about her, though; I've never seen her so far gone that she couldn't tell when she was being paranoid/hallucinating from when she wasn't.

Greatfuls:

1. Short, skinny kids. The convertible carseats we've replaced have all been replaced because they were in use during motor vehicle accidents or due to wear-- in five years, I have yet to have a child outgrow one.

2. BeanBean seems to really be enjoying math these days (he was kind of apathetic toward it for a while). I think he likes having to actually think about things for a change. He's learning to apply himself and make an effort; soon enough, he might actually start learning about challenges, and how to relish them.

3. My kids like one another. It helps.

4. A later date for my scheduled c-section. It's a huge relief to me, really.

5. My latest splurge-- a bath pillow. I felt silly buying it, spending those three dollars was kind of difficult for me, but on that shopping trip I only bought necessary items and food and darnit, I needed something for me. So I bought the bath pillow, and that dippy bit of plastic and fabric has made me so happy.

6. Netflix + South Park = :

7. I'm a fast knitter. I have hope that one of these days, I'l be able to start a business selling one of my own soaker patterns, or perhaps baby booties, wool socks. . . whatever.

8. I *think* that Mike got the point when I left him at his parents' house earlier this week. I *think*. :

9. Lamb stew-- Mike took the kids to the Farm Show on Wednesday, and brought home a cup of lamb stew for me. It was fantastic last year and this year, too. I wonder if he brought any maple sugar candy, or if he skipped it because BeanBean threw up from too much sugar again-- a honey stick and a bit of maple sugar cotton candy. The boy physically *cannot* handle much simple sugar, he pukes every time. Anyway, I love maple sugar candy, but the lamb stew was enough to make me really happy. :

10. SnugglebugaBooBah. She's all curled up on my back right now, warm and squishy and cute. Awww!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#425 of 689 Old 01-11-2008, 09:20 PM

well, about maple sugar candy!

SOoooooo easy to make

you sound so happy today eilonwy

the syrup is pricey (of course) but every now and then i just can't help but make some....makes me VERY happy!

let me know if you want me to dig out the recipe

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#426 of 689 Old 01-11-2008, 09:30 PM

Whew! It's busy in here.

We've been frantically house-hunting and coming up empty. So far it looks like our best option is to make an offer on a mobile home in a slightly run-down park and hope we qualify for the park. The "subsidized" housing that is open in the area wants a $5000 "association fee". If we HAD 5k, we wouldn't NEED subsidized housing.

Just started my last term on my BSW. Mom can try all she wants to stop me, she's not going to win.

DH is slowly healing, the Dr pulled his PICC line last week. We're hoping for the drain to be pulled on Tues. Monday is a drive evaluation to see if he's cleared to drive again. The OT is still concerned about the lack of motion in his hand/fingers. That is going to be the HUGE determination in whether he'll return to work.

Gratefuls:
Assistance with my school books.
The kids are finally getting over their colds
No more PICC line and no more 2x/day nurses!
$ months to graduation!
Not getting this round of nastiness.
#427 of 689 Old 01-11-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:

SOoooooo easy to make
Yah?!?! Seriously?!?

Quote:
I'm trying. I actually feel pretty bloody miserable.

#428 of 689 Old 01-12-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
Yah?!?! Seriously?!?

I'm trying. I actually feel pretty bloody miserable.
a couple of cups syrup 234*, and teeny drop of cream (or butter).....you can pour it into molds......you HAVE to be quick..... i just pour it onto a greased plate and break it up when its hard....not pretty, but YUMMY!

and sorry you're miserable....you okay?

#429 of 689 Old 01-12-2008, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Okay I need to catch up. My MIL was here for a few days which is huge news as my dh had not spoken to her in 16 1/2 years and had not seen her in almost 17 years. The visit went really well.

Let see my two big deals this week: I went to Old Navy on Tuesday. They were having their clearance sale. I bought 26 items either pants, shirts, fleeces for Dh and kids. I spent $141.08. Yesterday afternoon I went back and got my money back for the items that were marked down for the clearance and I got back $106.56. So I spent about $35 for 26 items. I have to remember to that next year too because by the time I got to the clearance sale yesterday most of the things had been pretty much picked through.
So for a number of months now I have been complaining that I am shrinking. I have to roll up my pants. As of yesterday my pants have to be rolled up 3 times. I have been measured twice at the doctor and no I am not loosing height. I even made John measure me once too at home. It is just weird. Pants that were fine in length no longer fit at all. My family we shrink. Well my dad has gone from 6 feet tall to 5 foot 8 inches. Last night my brother called and he been to the doctor and he lost 3/4 of an inch. I am hoping it only effects males. Anyway I went out by myself yesterday afternoon and decided to try on some jeans. I need jeans really bad. Guess what I found out? I lost 4 pant sizes. I am not shrinking length wise. Then it made sense since I have lost almost 50 pounds since having Maggie. I only gained 11 pounds with her. So now I really need pants. I cleaned out my closet last night. What was funny is I had no problem with my undies until I realized how big my pants were then my undies felt really big.

Heidi
#430 of 689 Old 01-12-2008, 12:59 PM

Heidi, I don't understand how you got a deal for the clothes? Maybe I'm just not awake yet?

Today is my babys birthday! Piper is two years old.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#431 of 689 Old 01-12-2008, 01:11 PM

Happy birthday to piper! Love her name by the way. Amazing deal on the clothes heidi! I am shrinking again too...and while I know it is good for the health...I am so miserable because I can't afford to buy smaller clothes and I do not find the falling don pants and undies to be sexy!

Nancy, Mom to Kyra (2005), Zoe (2006), Callie (2007) (2008), and Xavier (2009)
#432 of 689 Old 01-12-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
Heidi, I don't understand how you got a deal for the clothes? Maybe I'm just not awake yet?

Today is my babys birthday! Piper is two years old.
A lot of stores will mark down your receipt if it goes on sale usually within two weeks. Old Navy is a store that will mark down even for clearance items. You just bring your receipt to customer service. They scan it in and give you you your money back.

Happy birthday Piper.

Heidi
#433 of 689 Old 01-12-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:

SOoooooo easy to make

the syrup is pricey (of course) but every now and then i just can't help but make some....makes me VERY happy!

let me know if you want me to dig out the recipe

I would like it.

Heidi
#434 of 689 Old 01-12-2008, 02:58 PM

All the maple sugar candy talk is making me hungry... anyway, not much new to report over here. My mom is loaning us 400 dollars so we can make our car payment this month, which is awesome. A friend of mine's husband is an electrician and he is supposed to hire an apprentice so depending on what happens with his trying to enlist he might do that... just a lot of stuff is up on the air right now... this is a horrid post but I am really out of it! I will try and come back and write a more coherent post later

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#435 of 689 Old 01-12-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
I would like it.
so easy!

2 cups syrup
about 1/8 tsp butter or cream (not exact science)

medium heat to 234 degrees
take off heat....stir for a second...careful! the air expands it FAST!

you can quickly put it into hightemp candy molds or even small muffin tins....i put it on a greased plate if its just for us here for a treat...andbreak it up when its cool

takes about five minutes to be cool enough to eat

its really such a nice treat...nothing i afford to buy..or make too often. but its so much cheaper than buying the actual candy

#436 of 689 Old 01-12-2008, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ohh thats sounds good.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#437 of 689 Old 01-12-2008, 06:24 PM

Okay, I need some advice from you ladies. I'm on maternity leave and we're just about broke. I get disability pay for my maternity leave, which will be about $2200, total. Our 'plan' is to live off the credit card until our tax return (which should be mighty, thanks to Rhys' timely arrival) shows up and then pay off the CC. However, there are some expenses that can't go on the card... the biggest of which is rent, which will need to be paid for February and March before I start getting paid again, which would take all the disability money.

So... do I pay both months rent as soon as I get the disability checks, leaving us screwed if there's any other necessary expenses that can't go on the CC? Or do I hang on to the cash in case of an emergency and worry that we'll overspend or be unable to pay March rent on time? What would you do?

Quote:
Your both welcome. My ds is currently ff in a Cosco Scenera which thankfully works well for newborns and was only $40 when we got it about 2 years ago now. He has a good chunk of weight to go before he hits the 40lb weight limit most seats at Walmart or Target have, but he is tall. He has somewhere between 1/2 and 1/4 inch from his shoulders being even with the top setting for the harness straps making him too big for the seat.
Oh bugger... I'd completely forgotten about the 40lb weight limit on most seats. Elliot is totally edging up to that, and I'm wondering if the (crappy) seat that we got from MIL when he was born even goes up to 40 pounds. I seem to remember it might have topped out at 35-ish, which is where E is right now.

Ugh. I'm totally thankful for the reminder for safety reasons, even if it is another hit to our budget.
#438 of 689 Old 01-12-2008, 06:47 PM

Belleweather....i think i would pay the rent. As hard as that seems it would reduce stress about housing. especially since there won't be mooney coming in.

#439 of 689 Old 01-12-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather View Post
Okay, I need some advice from you ladies. I'm on maternity leave and we're just about broke. I get disability pay for my maternity leave, which will be about $2200, total. Our 'plan' is to live off the credit card until our tax return (which should be mighty, thanks to Rhys' timely arrival) shows up and then pay off the CC. However, there are some expenses that can't go on the card... the biggest of which is rent, which will need to be paid for February and March before I start getting paid again, which would take all the disability money.

So... do I pay both months rent as soon as I get the disability checks, leaving us screwed if there's any other necessary expenses that can't go on the CC? Or do I hang on to the cash in case of an emergency and worry that we'll overspend or be unable to pay March rent on time? What would you do?

Well I am the type of person who would pay 1 month at a time because like you said what happens if an emergency comes up and you have no money on hand. However since my dh is self employed I am versed in getting large chucks of money and holding onto them. However if you think you might generally overspend then maybe you should pay both month's rent right away. I was just thinking about the other month when our car inspection failed and it was almost $900.. well we had the money on hand to take care of it right away and then I just had to move somethings around.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#440 of 689 Old 01-12-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
so easy!

2 cups syrup
about 1/8 tsp butter or cream (not exact science)

medium heat to 234 degrees
take off heat....stir for a second...careful! the air expands it FAST!

you can quickly put it into hightemp candy molds or even small muffin tins....i put it on a greased plate if its just for us here for a treat...andbreak it up when its cool

takes about five minutes to be cool enough to eat

its really such a nice treat...nothing i afford to buy..or make too often. but its so much cheaper than buying the actual candy

Thank you thank you thank you. You ladies are awesome. I got 64 ounces of Grade A Medium Amber Maple syrup a couple of weeks okay at Trader Joes. It was an awesome deal, $3.86 but I had no idea what to make out of it. LOL I have not even had time to figure out what to do with it.

Heidi
#441 of 689 Old 01-12-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Your both welcome. My ds is currently ff in a Cosco Scenera which thankfully works well for newborns and was only $40 when we got it about 2 years ago now. He has a good chunk of weight to go before he hits the 40lb weight limit most seats at Walmart or Target have, but he is tall. He has somewhere between 1/2 and 1/4 inch from his shoulders being even with the top setting for the harness straps making him too big for the seat.
Walmart has them for $35.00 now and I do believe it goes up to 45 pounds now. I have to look I know it is higher then the standard 40 pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather View Post

I would pay rent first since that is such a huge stressor. Then if you need cash could you possible take a cash advance on your credit card?

Heidi
#442 of 689 Old 01-12-2008, 11:27 PM

Belleweather: Could you either do a cash advance, or did the cc send you any checks you can use?

Nature: Happy Birthday Piper
#443 of 689 Old 01-12-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
Walmart has them for $35.00 now and I do believe it goes up to 45 pounds now. I have to look I know it is higher then the standard 40 pounds.
I haven't seem them at $35, but that is a great price for them. They do have higher slots then other many other seats that go to 40lbs, but I haven't seen anything about them raising the weight limit on it. Since ds is around 35lbs and almost too tall for it I can't see raising the weight limit without raising the harness height as being helpful. I do know there are a couple new convertibles that have higher harness straps and one of them goes to 50lbs. It's a rare child that will fit correctly in the harness straps until they are too heavy for the seat. Most seats are outgrown by height long before weight. The one thing that that Cosco Scenera still has over the other seats that have a bit higher harness slots is price. I just checked the 2 I was thinking of and they are both over $100.

#444 of 689 Old 01-13-2008, 10:12 AM

good morning mamas!

oh how i wish i had a trader joes so i could get 64 oz of maple syrup for under four bucks i love the stuff. pancakes are my friends

this afternoon is the babyshower for my dd......... i made her a sling and a few small things, but i feel like a loser. but to tell the truth I don't want her to have the kind of crap people are buying her.

i think a crib is a BAD idea. and i think other baby parking stations are a bad idea. and i think most all baby things are bad ideas, especially bought new at outrageous prices

maybe not everyone thinks the same way, though. so i feel like a loser.

i would rather see her weariing her baby, breastfeeding her baby, co-slepping with her baby....

to the other side of her family that translates into 'loser'

oh well......

i'll post the unneeded extravagances later

#445 of 689 Old 01-13-2008, 11:33 AM

(((((ediesmom)))))

Remember, just because she gets those things.. doesn't mean she won't still be breastfeeding, slinging, and cosleeping. Parenting is one of those things you have to get a feel for. And you don't always parent the same way over the years.

At my first shower I got all those wonderful gadgets that were unnessasary. But I still wanted them. And guess what? I rarely used them. A few things I really did love, and still love. Like an infant swing. Because all my babies really did love the swing. It was the only way I could take a shower, or go to the bathroom by myself. I still ended up cosleeping even with a crib. And I still have a stroller, even though I love slings.

I guess my point is, the two sides don't negate each other. You can still have all those "things" and be a very attached mommy. And you can have nothing at all, and be a distant mother. Its not about what you have or don't have, but how you choose to parent that makes the difference.

It'll work out for you daughter. She'll find her groove. And she'll love the things that you made her!! I know I would!

After her extravagant gala, you and her can plan something more intimate and friendly to show off the new baby. After the babymoon of course!

I'll bet your getting so excited!!

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#446 of 689 Old 01-13-2008, 01:58 PM

I desperately wanted a crib for BeanBean. My mom and sister both laughed right in my face at that idea, but my sister actually bought a bassinet for him. Within three weeks, it was exclusively a diaper & toy holding facility. This time I want a crib again, but not for nighttime use as much as a safe place to put SeaMonkey down to sleep during the day, so that I can do other things without worrying that he'll be jumped on or eaten by his overzealous siblings. And as I mentioned earlier, I'd *love* to have a swing for this baby. In fact, a nice high swing might mitigate the need for a crib entirely. I'm pretty sure that ChunkityButt hasn't outgrown hers yet, though, so we won't be getting that one. Such a bummer.

None of which changes the fact that what tops my priorities list right now is a new ring sling. Nor does it change the fact that I ended up choosing CLW (okay, part of that was laziness-- weaning is work!) and using cloth diapers (my mother was tickled).

You never know, the crib may end up being a nice, waist-high toybox.

#447 of 689 Old 01-13-2008, 02:13 PM

Rynna have you checked your local freecycle for a swing? I've seen 2 or 3 on ours in just the past week. I've thankfully still got the one I used with dd. It was barely used with ds as he didn't really care for it, but it was nice to have a spot to put him for showers and the like. I think if dd hadn't tried to help push the swing to make it go faster he might have liked it better As for the ring sling those aren't bad to make if you can sew. I always point people to the directions at http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/ they are far and away the best directions I've seen online. I've also seen mama's with sling rings they are giving away from time to time in the Giving forum.

#448 of 689 Old 01-13-2008, 02:53 PM

My kids ate my sewing machine, and a hand-sewing project would take entirely too long (and be untrustworthy in my mind ). One of these days, I'll start sewing again.

I haven't been on Freecycle at all because I have no idea where we're going to be living as of 31 January. . . :

#449 of 689 Old 01-13-2008, 04:18 PM

The sling I want is one of these. She's got another site here. I knitted a soaker once in exchange for one and it's just sooo beautiful, I got compliments every time I wore it. . . but as my favorite sling for a good three years, it's quite worn. It's still gorgeous, but it's better suited to be a backup than a full-time sling. Plus, I think I'd like one with a pocket this time. I meant to save up for one this month, but that didn't happen.

#450 of 689 Old 01-13-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
I desperately wanted a crib for BeanBean. My mom and sister both laughed right in my face at that idea, but my sister actually bought a bassinet for him. Within three weeks, it was exclusively a diaper & toy holding facility. This time I want a crib again, but not for nighttime use as much as a safe place to put SeaMonkey down to sleep during the day, so that I can do other things without worrying that he'll be jumped on or eaten by his overzealous siblings. And as I mentioned earlier, I'd *love* to have a swing for this baby. In fact, a nice high swing might mitigate the need for a crib entirely. I'm pretty sure that ChunkityButt hasn't outgrown hers yet, though, so we won't be getting that one. Such a bummer.

None of which changes the fact that what tops my priorities list right now is a new ring sling. Nor does it change the fact that I ended up choosing CLW (okay, part of that was laziness-- weaning is work!) and using cloth diapers (my mother was tickled).

You never know, the crib may end up being a nice, waist-high toybox.
Hi Eilonwy,

I have a Maya Wrap, scarcely used ring sling, complete with instructional dvd. I'd be happy to send it to you for SeaMonkey if you want it. PM me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page