Jan '08 Lower Income and/or Struggling Mama's Support - Page 21 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#601 of 689 Old 01-23-2008, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#602 of 689 Old 01-23-2008, 06:30 PM

#603 of 689 Old 01-23-2008, 11:43 PM

OK tax-filing mamas ~ when should I expect my W-2 form(s)?? I NEED to file my taxes so I can get my refund!! Otherwise I am NOT going to have enough $$ to survive!!!! :: worried! ::

Nursingnaturalmom ~~ I'm so sorry you're stuck with a sh!tty case worker. I've had more than my share of those.

:
#604 of 689 Old 01-24-2008, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This is what the IRS says:

First, contact your employer to find out if the W-2s have been prepared and issued. If your employer mailed the W-2s, you may not have received your W-2 because of an incorrect or incomplete address. There may also be other reasons for not receiving your W-2 that may be easily taken care of by contacting the employer. After contacting your employer, allow a reasonable amount of time for your employer to issue or remail the W-2.

Second, if you still do not receive your W-2 after contacting your employer, contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) by calling 1-800-829-1040, but do not contact the IRS before February 16. Before you call the IRS, write down the following information which the IRS will ask you to provide:

1. Your employer's name and complete address, employer identification number (if known), and telephone number;

2. Your name, address, social security number, and telephone number; and

3. An estimate of the wages paid to you by the employer, the federal income tax withheld, and the period of time you worked for the employer during the year.

You will need to give this information to the IRS so that they can prepare a Form 4852, Substitute For A Missing Form W-2. The IRS will mail a copy of Form 4852 to you. You should use the Form 4852 instead of your W-2 only if necessary to file your federal income tax return on time. Note that the use of a Form 4852 instead of the actual W-2 may delay your federal income tax refund while the information on the Form 4852 is verified by the IRS.

Heidi
#605 of 689 Old 01-24-2008, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura_Kitten View Post
OK tax-filing mamas ~ when should I expect my W-2 form(s)?? I NEED to file my taxes so I can get my refund!! Otherwise I am NOT going to have enough $$ to survive!!!! :: worried! ::
I hope it comes soon. I'm going to owe so much, I just don't know how I'm going to come up with the money.
#606 of 689 Old 01-24-2008, 04:12 AM

ur employers has to have it postmarked by the 31st of jan--that is the deadline...
#607 of 689 Old 01-24-2008, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hmmmm, I think mine is online but I don't remember my name and password and hire date. GRRRRR! I could file TODAY!:

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#608 of 689 Old 01-24-2008, 10:55 AM

Taxes yuck! We have to make sure dh actually gets a 1090 this year which is a huge pain in the rear. I'm also rather afraid to know just how little he actually made last year. I know it's not going to be pretty On the other hand since we haven't paid any taxes all year on what little he did make that might work out well. Although we also have to worry about some old stuff coming up when it gets filed which could make everything get crazy.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#609 of 689 Old 01-24-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianyoushi View Post
ur employers has to have it postmarked by the 31st of jan--that is the deadline...
Theoretically true... but in all the time I have known Mike, he has never once received his W-2 with a postmark of 31 Jan. Usually they show up the second week of February, give or take.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#610 of 689 Old 01-24-2008, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
*shudders* I'm so glad DH's taxes are done automatically. I hate that kind of thing with a vengeance! (Who doesn't?).

Soooo, it turns out DH needs a $300 fencing mask for the swordfighting convention he's going to in February. I was antsy about the cost of the convention itself, to begin with, but THIS? 'Well sweetie, you don't want me to come back with no eyes, do you?'. No, not really.... I suggested he try to borrow one, and he hadn't thought of that. Fingers crossed! This is a really, really bad time to be spending $300 on a fencing mask, and I think he gets that intellectually, but it doesn't quite register. I guess I should be grateful that he doesn't stress about money.

Bright side: I got phone banking set up yesterday and transferred $800 towards paying off our debt. I wonder if we can get the entire thing paid off by, say, June? I'll discuss it with DH--a goal would be great.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#611 of 689 Old 01-24-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianyoushi View Post
wic will give u checks for dairy substaute--- u just have to tell them befor they print out the checks
I don't think we can get substitutes here either, but it really doesn't matter since we don't use rice or soy milk either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura_Kitten View Post
I'm right there with you... I'm just waiting for DH's W-2, which we know will arrive promptly on Feb 2, and Rhys' Social Security card which will show up God only knows when. But we're counting on that money to keep us from starving in the hedgerows come March.
#612 of 689 Old 01-24-2008, 11:56 PM
Banned

I get my W-2 from current job tomorrow (along with my paycheck!) but we're still waiting on mine from my old job and DH's. Great. I have a feeling that my former employer is going to be a real horse's ass about sending them out because he is about everything else. I expect I'll have to harrass him for it. Is it wrong that I hope his restaurant goes out of business?
#613 of 689 Old 01-25-2008, 01:57 AM

For some reason we are always waiting on our tax slips until may or June. Even though here they have to legally be here by the end of february! Usually can't wait for them to come, this year I am not so excited because we owe money, but should still get something back.

Nancy, Mom to Kyra (2005), Zoe (2006), Callie (2007) (2008), and Xavier (2009)
#614 of 689 Old 01-25-2008, 12:02 PM

#615 of 689 Old 01-25-2008, 04:21 PM

I am watching the film "The Secret" (click on the linky to watch the film for FREE) again, and one quote really jumped out at me.

Jack Canfield says (near the end of the film):

"The more you talk about what you don't want, or talk about how bad it is...you're creating more of [the negative "stuff"].

What are your thoughts on this, relative to a not-so-great financial situation? Do you think dwelling on being broke makes you more broke?

I'm not sure; I would love to hear what you think.

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#616 of 689 Old 01-25-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathirynne View Post
I am watching the film "The Secret" again, and one quote really jumped out at me.

"The more you talk about what you don't want, or talk about how bad it is...you're creating more of [the negative "stuff"].

What are your thoughts on this, relative to a not-so-great financial situation? Do you think dwelling on being broke makes you more broke?

ABSOLUTELY! Your thoughts become your reality. Its not an instant thing but if you understand karma its the same. You reap what you sow and when your full of negativity (which is really easy to do when your poor and a minuscule thing sends you into a tailspin) thats what your going to continue to get.

Seriously?
#617 of 689 Old 01-25-2008, 04:46 PM

First, let me say that I love the women on this thread, and I have gotten some really good advice and support from all of the mummas here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
ABSOLUTELY! Your thoughts become your reality. Its not an instant thing but if you understand karma its the same. You reap what you sow and when your full of negativity (which is really easy to do when your poor and a minuscule thing sends you into a tailspin) thats what your going to continue to get.
Okay, don't flame me...: but

If that's true, than isn't this thread (posting about our "brokeness" on it and reading about other people's "brokness") potentially making our situations worse?

P.S. Satori, the sleepers are on their way to you.

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#618 of 689 Old 01-25-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
First, let me say that I love the women on this thread, and I have gotten some really good advice and support from all of the mummas here.

If that's true, than isn't this thread (posting about our "brokeness" on it and reading about other people's "brokness") potentially making our situations worse?

If your dwelling on it then yes your making it worse, its like when it rains it pours with bad things and it does the same with good things usually as well.

Thanks! I totally forgot about them

Seriously?
#619 of 689 Old 01-25-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:

If your dwelling on it then yes your making it worse, its like when it rains it pours with bad things and it does the same with good things usually as well.

Thanks! I totally forgot about them

Seriously?
#620 of 689 Old 01-25-2008, 05:34 PM

#621 of 689 Old 01-25-2008, 07:29 PM

Just finished reading this whole thread! Whew, it's long. Now back to :
#622 of 689 Old 01-25-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I am watching the film "The Secret" (click on the linky to watch the film for FREE) again, and one quote really jumped out at me.

I know this is REALLY going to some people's panties in a bunch, but (IMHO) "The Secret" is a bunch of hooey. Which is about the most polite phrase I can muster for it. While I think there is great value in thinking positively, surrounding yourself with positive people, and working hard to achieve your goals, I cannot possibly take seriously any school of thought where the logical end point is that people suffering or dying in a war zone (ie. Rwanda, Iraq) or from a horrible natural disaster (ie. Tsunami, Katrina) are in their terrible situation because they just aren't thinking positively enough and if they thought better all of their problems would magically go away.

And honestly, I think that is just as true for a lot of the mamas here; it's all too easy to see the kind of facile solutions that "The Secret" is all about as a new way to blame the victim -- we are poor not because of gross societal problems in how we (don't) support women and children that we'd have to work hard politically and culturally to correct, we're poor because we're just not THINKING correctly! And obviously, if we just thought the "right way", we'd all be wealthy like the guy in the movie, right?

Plus, I can't think of ONE mama here who has ever said or implied that they think they'll be poor forever. It seems like everyone has plans to better themselves and their lives, even if they're not moving as far or as fast as they'd like. Who was the smart mama who said that we were in this community for Solidarity, not Charity? Honestly, this thread has really inspired me, supported me, and helped us to make things way better in our lives, and I want to thank all you mamas for that.

(Also, as a Philosophy major, if that guy in the secret is a "Philosopher" I'm the Queen of All England! : )
#623 of 689 Old 01-25-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:

I disagree. I think that we aren't posting about our "brokeness" but sharing our experiences and supporting others who happen to have the same experiences.

#624 of 689 Old 01-25-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather View Post
Who was the smart mama who said that we were in this community for Solidarity, not Charity?

That would be Thystle!!!!! Gotta love her!

#625 of 689 Old 01-25-2008, 08:34 PM

#626 of 689 Old 01-25-2008, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
cornflower_3: Juno and Sweeney Todd. Looking forward to it!

DH has found someone who can lend him a fencing mask. Whew!

We've been eating a lot of toasted sandwiches recently... rather yummy, actually.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#627 of 689 Old 01-25-2008, 09:00 PM

I consider myself a professional penny pincher. This time of year always makes me smile...TAX TIME! Yay! We will be getting our return in a couple days. Can you say RELIEF?!
#628 of 689 Old 01-25-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlsmom View Post
Just finished reading this whole thread! Whew, it's long. Now back to :
impressive

welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
I disagree. I think that we aren't posting about our "brokeness" but sharing our experiences and supporting others who happen to have the same experiences.

hi mamas!

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#629 of 689 Old 01-25-2008, 10:38 PM

little update on hubby's boss lady.... so today is the one year anniversary of her hubby's passing- last night she emailed my hubby and said he will get an answer tonight.- hubby and me think its weird that she would take a day off work today for the anniversary but get back to him bout the check. but whatever we weren't holding our breath cuz she likes just saying things and not following through... hubby gets a email and the boss lady agrees she didn't pay him enough but once again its not the amount (hubby has proof of -shown on the time card)... its about 150 short. but whatever. i told hubby its better then nothing and just go pick up and make sure its in the bank...
now hopefully she gets the w-2s to us so we can file and hopefully get our refund soon.

i havent heard back from the insurance company so we are still waiting for a prenatal visit. i dont feel pregnant like i did with the other two. i am just tired. but i saw a u tube video and made me realize that i need to stop worrying bout things i cant control and just give it to God. and he will provide. so that is what i am starting to do...

these r links from rick burgess's son's funeral and new article.
http://www.celebrity-babies.com/2008...host-rick.html

his message on utube
fathers love part1
fathers love part 2
fathers love part 3
cornbread's tribute
#630 of 689 Old 01-25-2008, 11:17 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page