Jan '08 Lower Income and/or Struggling Mama's Support - Page 23 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#661 of 689 Old 01-29-2008, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura_Kitten View Post
Good luck with the citizenship issue... one of my friends just became an American citizen, and she had to jump through so many hoops.

Thanks, I'm feeling a bit better but extremely tired from all the meds they gave me...
the things is i am american citizen... my dad was in army when i was born so i was born in germany on a us army base. it doesnt make since that they now want proof when they immediately gave me insurance almost 4 years ago when i was preggo with dd. i didnt suddenly become non us citizen... i havent even left america in 10 plus years... sheesh. just annoyed. and hubby is pissing me off... to no end.

go get some rest and sleep the meds off.
#662 of 689 Old 01-29-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianyoushi View Post
the things is i am american citizen... my dad was in army when i was born so i was born in germany on a us army base. it doesnt make since that they now want proof when they immediately gave me insurance almost 4 years ago when i was preggo with dd. i didnt suddenly become non us citizen... i havent even left america in 10 plus years... sheesh. just annoyed. and hubby is pissing me off... to no end.

go get some rest and sleep the meds off.
OHHh for some reason I was thinking you weren't

I'd love to sleep the meds off, but I'm still at work.
#663 of 689 Old 01-29-2008, 09:07 PM

hehe

well how much longer do u have to be a work... im sure they wont mind u napping. lol.
#664 of 689 Old 01-29-2008, 09:24 PM

Daniel's Kitty - Congrats! Hope you feel better soon.
Aura Kitten - hope you feel better too!
KentuckyMom - So sorry you are going through this. Have you tried your city welfare department? I know around here they can help out with emergencies and give you a motel room if you get evicted. Have you tried Health & Human Servicies? I don't know how it is in Kentucky but in NH they have something called Emergency Assitance to get water/electric etc. turned back on, and you can get it once per year.

I brought DS to the doctor today and he has to get a CT scan of his head. He was in the hospital 4 weeks laying on his back and has a lovely case of flat head. It's really cone looking at the top. I was told it should round out as he grows but he's almost 9 months old it's still quite misshapen. They are going to check to see if the plates in his head have fused together yet.

DH's paycheck was shorted this week. He was on call and he punched in after hours to do a road call - they are supposed to pay a minimum of 2 hours overtime plus $50 and they are not giving it to him because it was "close" to his regular time of going in. He is mad and looking for a new job but there isn't much around here right now. We are down to our last 4 bags of pellets to heat the house and he doesn't get paid until Thursday, but it's his late day to work so he can't go pick them up until Friday. Looking forward to summer and a warm house all the time!

Greatful for:
a roof over my head
food in my cupboards
the really good nap I got today

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#665 of 689 Old 01-30-2008, 12:11 PM

#666 of 689 Old 01-30-2008, 11:08 PM

hi mamas!

its so quiet on this thread......is everyone okay? i had surgery last friday so i've been a little out of it...life still happens even when youre convalescing....i'll catch up

so, this is my big ani weekend i've been waiting for....it was going to be three shows....but i am skipping the saturday night in ithica...i don't think i can do it physically....anyone want two ani tix to the ithica show saturday night?

im off to bed, just wanted to check in.

KDM....if you check in (((HUGS)))) thinking of you

see you in the morning

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#667 of 689 Old 01-30-2008, 11:12 PM

I check in periodically, but I'm so frustrated by server problems I don't feel like psoting. I'm okay though and hope everyone else is doing okay too.
#668 of 689 Old 01-31-2008, 12:15 AM

i cant get the forum to work for more then 5 minutes. i keep getting server errors. anyways update on the insurance thing-- hubby refuses to take me down to the office... he wants the baby and the insurance coverage but refuses to do any more then he has too... so frustrating. i called my dad to take me down but he has to be in court the next two days -he caught a theif at his work and needs to testify... im really hoping hubby gets his head out of his a$$ and take me down there to get it all situated. he hasnt been a great father for the two kids we have... right now he is asleep....well g2g alex wants boobs and my attention
#669 of 689 Old 01-31-2008, 12:28 AM

#670 of 689 Old 01-31-2008, 12:29 AM

#671 of 689 Old 01-31-2008, 10:09 AM

good morning mamas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflower_3 View Post
ediesmom, I'm too lazy to go look through the thread so can I ask what your surgery was for? (Sorry if thats too personal) And I'm assuming Ani as in Ms. DiFranco I wish it were possible for me to take you up on that offer. I haven't been to an Ani show since BC in Columbus, OH. Sigh. And I too am finding the server issues frustrating.

shoulder surgery and sleep last night was horrible. i backed off the meds and am regretting it this morning.

yes....ms. difranco gets my full attention for two consecutive evenings....if i can't unload the tix I MAY go to the other show....if i am feeling okay.

so, how are we this morning? this thread has got very quiet....and i don't think its due to financial upswing.......come back!

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#672 of 689 Old 01-31-2008, 12:34 PM

#673 of 689 Old 01-31-2008, 12:35 PM

#674 of 689 Old 01-31-2008, 12:43 PM

Well, I've not been able to get MDC to work frequently for me, I get error messages a lot or they just don't load.

Also, everyone's been sick. Thankfully I had already scheduled today to take off of work because I have a dr's appointment this afternoon ~~ I had to keep my ds out of his school because he's sick too. Ergh.

I'm thinking 11 units is too crazy much for me to handle this semester, but I don't know what I'm going to be able to drop.

In other news: we've gotten a ton of snow.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2272/...b97a40.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2251/...d53119.jpg?v=0

Let's see what else...

my house smells weird.
I made bean soup that came out inedibly last night.

... but I can breathe again, thanks to a host of anti-histimine and anti-asthma meds.

and my kids are sleeping in, which indicates they're actually sick and not faking it to get out of school (for me, this is a big thing )...

also I caught up my reading in Simple Abundance, which is a great book, I highly recommend it.

Veg*nism update (if any of you follow things like this) ~ I have mostly cut meat out of our diets now, I just have the remainder of a pack of bacon that was in my freezer, I'm thawing that and will be using that up and I don't plan to buy any more meat.

Where IS everyone???
#675 of 689 Old 01-31-2008, 01:23 PM

here i am

i keep coming and checking to see is kdm has updated........i'm so worried

i gotta go take a shower....should be easier than the last few now that i can actually get dressed by myself then off to class

#676 of 689 Old 01-31-2008, 01:26 PM

I keep getting error messages that are driving me bonkers as well. I'm also devoting too much of my internet time to GPT sites in hopes of coming out with a decent amount of money when I do some cash outs this evening. Since I won't be getting that money until the end of Feb or begining of March it will likely go to fun baby needed things like a nursing bra that isn't falling apart. Stupid massive boobs makes all bras super expensive

I'm also irritated that a check dh was supposed to get about 2 weeks ago for work done over New Year's has yet to materialize. That means we probably won't get it for at least another 2 weeks when checks are cut in February : It's a nice chunk of money for where we are sitting at right now that would have all our bills caught up so we aren't constantly trying to see what can be pushed off and paying things just before they are turned off.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#677 of 689 Old 01-31-2008, 02:22 PM

I haven't been posting mostly because it is all so bleak right now. Things will get better next quarter when my financial aid kicks in. Right now I am barely making it. I am having to spend $70 a week on gas so I can go to school. I *have* to go to school so I can get a good job afterwards and actually support my kids. *Some* people think that I should have just went to get a job. Pretty hard to find a job that pays enough to support five kids. I really want to be off these f-ing social programs at some point you know? I do not want my kids spending their entire childhoods in poverty! I did that, and it's not fun. My son is excelling in athletics, but I can't even afford to put him in sports because I am too broke. I know he doesn't *need* it, but I want to foster the things he is good at. And I do not want to have to put my kids in daycare all day and night while I go to school and work, and we would never see each other.
This all sucks. I am so mad at my stbx. How can he be so selfish? He just wants instant happiness and gratification. Sure he gets that with a new gf, everyone feels like that in the begining. *WE* felt like that in the begining. Then life happens, and we found out there were problems and we were suppost to get help, and he ran away. I know I can do this on my own, but it is so not fair for anyone, even him. He is missing out on so much, and he just burries his head deeper and deeper so he can't feel it. LAME

Anyway. Having to pay my electric bill today, almost the whole cs amount because my bills are over $300 a month for heat/electricity, and I am only getting $953 a month cash wise...all child support, thank god he is being reliable with it. Now I just have to figure out how to get gas for the week($70), and more cleaning supplies, 2 doors for upstairs and a window that the kids broke. I have a re-inspection in 2 weeks, and am so scared that we will fail again, and I will have to pay the $650 rent for March.

Ok, on a happy note!!
I have gotten 100% on all of my quizes for my stress management class, and a 97 on my first math test. I have another one to take in the next few days. He made it a take home test(yay!!) because we had a snow day on Monday.

I have a nb set in cashmerino knit up for a stocking, so hopefully I will get some money from that.
I wish I had more time to knit...I might actually be able to make this work.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#678 of 689 Old 01-31-2008, 02:34 PM

#679 of 689 Old 01-31-2008, 02:47 PM

I wish! Our ll is a lawyer, and boy did he make sure to include everything. LOL Actually I think it is the housing agency. They wrote next to each thing that needs to be fixed whose responsibility it was. The ll has like 3 things to fix, which his maintainance guy was supposed to do, and he keeps telling me he will be here or call, and then doesn't until wayyy after what he said originally, and then he tells the LL that I missed the appt. :
It's ok, the stuff he has to fix is super easy, and I have a lot of people who stepped up to help. The main thing I have to do is get the house organized and decluttered. We had managed to aquired a lot of CRAP. SO I am getting rid of a ton of stuff!! I donated like 8 bags of stuff to goodwill, and am going to tackle the toys and books this weekend.
It sucks to try to do this with all of the kids, but it ain't going to do it itself. LOL

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#680 of 689 Old 01-31-2008, 03:44 PM

mamamoo if you need the doors still check your local freecycle. I've seen them on ours at different times. People remodeling their houses list these things or might even have them sitting around just taking up space. Since my dh does remodel work we have gotten a few things out of jobs in the past that otherwise would have gone to the dump.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#681 of 689 Old 01-31-2008, 08:57 PM

Thanks! That is a good idea!

#682 of 689 Old 02-01-2008, 02:28 AM

im here. i hate taxes. we owe 450 bucks. so much for paying down debt. so annoyed.
#683 of 689 Old 02-01-2008, 10:44 AM

I have a teeny bit of happiness to post - it looks like my pellets are going to last until DH can pick up some more. He won't get out of work in time today but is going to go ASAP in the morning. The weather was pretty mild the last couple of days so I was able to keep the heat off. Plus, last night the stove didn't fire because it was too full of ash so even though I woke up freezing we didn't use pellets. Actually, I'm trying to get the darn thing to light now. I've been trying for almost an hour! We bought the stove used and I'm really starting to regret that... But once it lights we should be all set though.

Happy wishes for all the other mamas!

#684 of 689 Old 02-01-2008, 10:51 AM

Hi all. I havent been on this thread in awhile. I just wanted to see how everyone is doing.
Mamamoo; hang in there, you sound like you are doing the best you can for your kids by going to school, and you CAN make it work; your doing it. I hope you can find what you need to repair the house, too. Hang in there, mama.
skristina; I hope you get a good bra soon. I hope that check comes through for ya, too.

Aura Kitten; your snow photos are absolutely gorgeous. I grew up in the north and now live in the south and I miss the snowy winters just a tad. The beauty of when the snow falls and makes its first coating, and the cozy feeling of staying in and keeping warm. :

cornflower 3
I hope your utilities stay on, and your "cork" works.

Ediesmom; I wish I was in Ithaca; I'd love to see Ani. I met her at the Newport folk fest once.

asianyoushi
I hope your dh stops being a butt. I have a dh who I love, but needs to grow up alot. Here's hoping our dh's get the message!! :

Well, our truck is still seized, though I'm having a terrible time getting any paperwork that says so. I need something on paper so I can get out of the vehicle tax for it, and I need to turn in my tags if they are really seizing it. Dh is still not done w/ court for it, so maybe we will still get it back, I dont know. It is frustrating me so much, I cried about it yesterday b/c I am just trying to do the right thing and no one is helping me in any direction.
DH is still looking for a job, mostly through his friends, and no luck so far.
I still havent found time to study to pass a test to finish massage school. I gotta schedule some time away from the kids for that, on a regular basis. That was one of my goals at the beginning of the month and I havent done a darn thng w/ it. I have some kind of block w/ finishing school that I need to work on.
I found a mama who wants me to crochet her a hat and pay me, so that is good.
I'm signing my son up for soccer for the first time. I hope he likes it, I think he will. It doesnt start till march, though.
I sold our dog this week. He was too much to handle for us. We will miss him, but his new family says we can visit him whenever we like.
Also, this week I finally got one credit card paid off and turned off. I've asked them to turn it off 3 times since Aug. I paid it off in Aug. and again for the interest in Jan. Then they still kept it on and charges me a $29 member fee and some interest for it. I called again and finally got someone who understands the words, "Turn it off!!" So thats good. I feel like I got something accomplished.
I hope everyone has a good weekend!

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#685 of 689 Old 02-01-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthyMamaofDaisy View Post
I have a teeny bit of happiness to post - it looks like my pellets are going to last until DH can pick up some more. He won't get out of work in time today but is going to go ASAP in the morning. The weather was pretty mild the last couple of days so I was able to keep the heat off. Plus, last night the stove didn't fire because it was too full of ash so even though I woke up freezing we didn't use pellets. Actually, I'm trying to get the darn thing to light now. I've been trying for almost an hour! We bought the stove used and I'm really starting to regret that... But once it lights we should be all set though.

Happy wishes for all the other mamas!
So glad the pellets are going to last, even if you did have to freeze a little. I hope you get it fired up soon, it's no fun being cold!

sunanthem~I hope you get the truck thing figured out soon. That would be so stressful!

Ok, so this kind of sucks...I had to pay that big chunk of the cs support yesterday for our gas/electricity. Well I had been waiting for this postcard from the energy assisstance place and I even thought to myself, I should wait to pay the electric bill, I think the postcard will come today(once I have the postcard then I am good with the electric co), but no...I wanted to go and get it over with so that in case it snowed again we wouldn't be out there in the snow. So I run all of our errands, and get home, and what shows up 10 minutes later? THE FREAKING POSTCARD. Grrr....I mean it is sort of ok, but I have someone who is going to come help me hang doors and fix the window on Sunday, and if I can't come up with the cash between now and then, they might not be able to come again. Oh well, at least there is that much further for the money to go right? My plan is to continue to pay like 100-200 a month on the bill even though there is a cushion so that it might last me through the summer. I may slack off in March a tiny bit for my dd's birthday, but that's it.

#686 of 689 Old 02-01-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamoo View Post
So glad the pellets are going to last, even if you did have to freeze a little. I hope you get it fired up soon, it's no fun being cold!

sunanthem~I hope you get the truck thing figured out soon. That would be so stressful!

Ok, so this kind of sucks...I had to pay that big chunk of the cs support yesterday for our gas/electricity. Well I had been waiting for this postcard from the energy assisstance place and I even thought to myself, I should wait to pay the electric bill, I think the postcard will come today(once I have the postcard then I am good with the electric co), but no...I wanted to go and get it over with so that in case it snowed again we wouldn't be out there in the snow. So I run all of our errands, and get home, and what shows up 10 minutes later? THE FREAKING POSTCARD. Grrr....I mean it is sort of ok, but I have someone who is going to come help me hang doors and fix the window on Sunday, and if I can't come up with the cash between now and then, they might not be able to come again. Oh well, at least there is that much further for the money to go right? My plan is to continue to pay like 100-200 a month on the bill even though there is a cushion so that it might last me through the summer. I may slack off in March a tiny bit for my dd's birthday, but that's it.
aint that how murpheys law works... darn him!!

does anyone know how long milk is good for past the expiration date??? i ahve 2 gallons (not open that have todays date on it...) is it safe????
#687 of 689 Old 02-01-2008, 04:27 PM

The date is just the sell by date. When it hits the sell by date some stores donate the milk to to the local shelters and soup kitchens. For years I worked at a shelter and our boss used to always tell the clients that it was good for like 5-7days after the sell by date if it hadn't been opened. But if it tastes weird I would throw it out though.

Oh, I just thought of something, do you have room in your freezer to store one of the gallons?

#688 of 689 Old 02-01-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthyMamaofDaisy View Post
The date is just the sell by date. When it hits the sell by date some stores donate the milk to to the local shelters and soup kitchens. For years I worked at a shelter and our boss used to always tell the clients that it was good for like 5-7days after the sell by date if it hadn't been opened. But if it tastes weird I would throw it out though.

Oh, I just thought of something, do you have room in your freezer to store one of the gallons?
i will have to rearrange things but i think i can fit one in there.
#689 of 689 Old 02-02-2008, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page