Jan '08 Lower Income and/or Struggling Mama's Support - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jaime - I'm in WV, but I doubt we're close to each other...it can be a big state, sometimes.

Back to lurking

Sandi - Work at home writer mama to Zoe the monkey girl 9/06 and Luna the zen baby 8/08
#242 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediesmom View Post
good morning mamas

first....i am so worried about justmama no news anywhere. yea, i too am post stalking.

i am torn about trying to contact her to offer support (albeit, long distance) ......advice?

i don't know how much support she has irl. hopefully her stbx and in-laws are sticking by her.

this brings up SO much for me!

Jaime....I saw the blanket you sent to Nature's LO....so beautiful!
Well if you know where she is, and your heart is telling you to, then yes, I would call her. I have a friend online who had a scheduled c section because of complications. She text messaged me after having the baby to let me know they were okay, and that she would contact me later. She never did. For days we did not hear from her. This scared me a great deal because I was concerned that perhaps something had happened to her or the baby Several people convinced me NOT to call her hospital room, even though I had sent flowers as soon as she went in, because she had given me the hospital name and room number, etc. So I didn't. It turns out that her cell phone was not working and that she and the baby were fine, but she said that she was a little dissapointed that none of her friends checked on her : So that pretty much convinced me that if you feel it to check on her, please do it.

And thanks for the blanket compliments I am sorry that justmama did not receive hers before her LO came It will be waiting for them when they get home though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris' Mom View Post
My 17 yo dd did the same thing when my baby spit up on her! She called me to come home, and when I finally got there, she had confined the baby to his seat so she wouldn't have to touch him (thank goodness he was content there), thrown a towel over some spit-up on the couch b/c she couldn't bare to look at it, and CUT her shirt off her b/c she couldn't bear to think of any getting in her hair. : Of course, she's never changed a diaper, even pee. I don't see how I'll ever get grandchildren out of that one!
Oh my! I have one about my DH.. While we were engaged I had to have gallbladder surgery. I started having pain one day, and before I knew it I had surgery scheduled. DH was offering to take some days off to help me, but I insisted he go to work *it might have had smoething to do with the fact that I was a college student and he was paying my car payment * So anyway, my Mother offered to take off work and stay at my apartment with me the day after surgery, to help out. DH only took the day of off because, as he put it, his boss would have sent him home anyway

So the surgery goes well and they let me go home. My throat was in agony because of the tube they put down your throat. My MIL was there to support me and she offered to go pick up my pain medicine at the pharmacy while my Mom and DH took me home. When she brought the medicine she also brought me a frozen coke from Burger King. I was so thankful for that nice, cold drink on my raw throat. I took a pain pill, but since you were supposed to take it with food, and obviously you can not eat after surgery, I was unsure of whether or not it would stay down.

My Mom and MIL leave, and I finish my frozen coke. Maybe 2 minutes later it came back up again. I had a trash can by the bed for that purpose. When I threw up all it was was the coke and the pain pill, since I had had nothing to eat for a few DAYS before the surgery. It was actually still fizzing, even, because it had not been down long. DH came in and flipped out, saying that he could not look at vomit and how was he going to empty it, he just can not deal with vomit.

I was like, uh, it is just cola, there is nothing in my stomach to actually qualify it as vomit But he was just making himself sick thinking about it Men!! So since I could not get up, I was so sore, I called my Mom. She was like "Tell Bryan that when I am done cooking dinner for your Father AND for him that I will be over to take care of it :"

I still tease him about that. He needs to get over it ASAP, because babies and children throw up a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianyoushi View Post
just wanted to let u guys know- yesterday was the scariest night of my life. my son alex had a seizure-the doc and paramedics believed it was a fever induced siezure--febrile seizure.

All his blood work and urine sample came back normal.

his temp is down - two nights ago at 2am it was 100. all day yesterday it was 101 when they checked at er- it was 103.7 at 7:03 pm they released him at 9pm and his fever was back to 101. we are keeping a close eye on him tonight if it goes back up we will be back at the hospital.

please send prayers for his fever to break and that he will drink fluids

I am sending my prayers

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#243 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 04:14 PM

I swear I had something productive to say when I started reading new posts... school has started for me and one of my professors is driving me batty already. If you are teaching an online course you really need to check your email more often!! Anyway, still waiting to see what happens with work and moving... I hope things fall into place. I have applied for a couple medical receptionist jobs, so getting one would be fantastic... though I doubt anyone wants to hire someone who is 26 weeks pregnant. I guess it is worth a shot though. Still looking for a kid to watch too... I guess we all just have to keep praying that things fall into place!!

s everyone!!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#244 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 04:21 PM

GRATE FUL--
ALEX'S fever droped! yay. i just hope it stays at 97-98 now.
#245 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 04:30 PM

I'm not a mama yet (its our debt and finances that are holding us back) and we are praying each month just to make our mortgage payment and minimum credit card payments (ran up $10,000 on credit cards for my dental work). It would have been easy last year when we could have sold our house and got an apartment for half the housing cost...but now with the housing market the way it is it is next to impossible to sell.

Praying DH gets the promotion/raise he is in line for and essentially promised one day (but this has been going on for a year)...which would be a $15,000/yr raise and get us out of debt and on the way to being parents!

In the meantime...I am grateful for my DH and family- I am so lucky.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#246 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
just wanted to let u guys know- yesterday was the scariest night of my life. my son alex had a seizure-the doc and paramedics believed it was a fever induced siezure--febrile seizure.

his temp is down - two nights ago at 2am it was 100. all day yesterday it was 101 when they checked at er- it was 103.7 at 7:03 pm they released him at 9pm and his fever was back to 101. we are keeping a close eye on him tonight if it goes back up we will be back at the hospital.

Sending prayers. How scary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Jaime View Post

Oh my! I have one about my DH.. While we were engaged I had to have gallbladder surgery. I started having pain one day, and before I knew it I had surgery scheduled. DH was offering to take some days off to help me, but I insisted he go to work *it might have had smoething to do with the fact that I was a college student and he was paying my car payment * So anyway, my Mother offered to take off work and stay at my apartment with me the day after surgery, to help out. DH only took the day of off because, as he put it, his boss would have sent him home anyway

So the surgery goes well and they let me go home. My throat was in agony because of the tube they put down your throat. My MIL was there to support me and she offered to go pick up my pain medicine at the pharmacy while my Mom and DH took me home. When she brought the medicine she also brought me a frozen coke from Burger King. I was so thankful for that nice, cold drink on my raw throat. I took a pain pill, but since you were supposed to take it with food, and obviously you can not eat after surgery, I was unsure of whether or not it would stay down.

My Mom and MIL leave, and I finish my frozen coke. Maybe 2 minutes later it came back up again. I had a trash can by the bed for that purpose. When I threw up all it was was the coke and the pain pill, since I had had nothing to eat for a few DAYS before the surgery. It was actually still fizzing, even, because it had not been down long. DH came in and flipped out, saying that he could not look at vomit and how was he going to empty it, he just can not deal with vomit.

I was like, uh, it is just cola, there is nothing in my stomach to actually qualify it as vomit But he was just making himself sick thinking about it Men!! So since I could not get up, I was so sore, I called my Mom. She was like "Tell Bryan that when I am done cooking dinner for your Father AND for him that I will be over to take care of it :"

I still tease him about that. He needs to get over it ASAP, because babies and children throw up a lot.
I actually have a vomit thing too. I have an overactive gag reflex, and it ain't pretty. I actually do puke if I smell vomit. Spit-up I can handle. I've been very lucky that my kids have not been sick. Do you believe it -- 3 kids over 17 yrs, and not one bout of the flu! Knock on wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chely7425 View Post
I swear I had something productive to say when I started reading new posts... school has started for me and one of my professors is driving me batty already. If you are teaching an online course you really need to check your email more often!! Anyway, still waiting to see what happens with work and moving... I hope things fall into place. I have applied for a couple medical receptionist jobs, so getting one would be fantastic... though I doubt anyone wants to hire someone who is 26 weeks pregnant. I guess it is worth a shot though. Still looking for a kid to watch too... I guess we all just have to keep praying that things fall into place!!
It'll work out. I'm hoping a job will turn up.

What is going on with my multi-quote?

Mamamoo -- I know you'll scare up the $. Good luck!

Praying for justmama. Ediesmom, that'd be great if you called her. If you're not comfortable, is there anyone else who could? I have a horrid phone phobia myself.
#247 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 04:58 PM

oh, mamas!

justmama and baby are fine!!!!!

baby is in nicu....but no actual problems, just small (but not TOO small)

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#248 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
oh, mamas!

So glad to hear they are ok.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#249 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 05:08 PM

I am so so glad to hear this, I have been so worried about them both.

Thanks so much for finding out and posting for us ediesmom, it was so nice of you.

Just wanted to let you know we are thinking of you justmama - you and your little family. If there is anything we can do to help, please let us know.
#250 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
oh, mamas!

That's great! Do we know if it's a boy or girl?
#251 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
good morning mamas

first....i am so worried about justmama no news anywhere. yea, i too am post stalking.

i am torn about trying to contact her to offer support (albeit, long distance) ......advice?

i don't know how much support she has irl. hopefully her stbx and in-laws are sticking by her.

this brings up SO much for me!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>

nature....I am SO glad the mattresses are comfy!

i am so excited about school starting! back into a rhythm instead of this freefloating i've been doing...its so disconcerting to not be (super)busy.

went out to eat last night and got 'glutened'....my belly is AFU (all f'ed up) and I am waiting for the joint pain that will be here.....I KNEW that the steak fries were going to hurt me....i'm an idiot:

Jaime....I saw the blanket you sent to Nature's LO....so beautiful!

okay....i need to really clean my home. its gross I'll check in later.......

oh, gratefuls
1. laundry quarters......thank God for an ample supply!
2. the fact that its not going to be super freezing cold today
3. the new bright pink down parka (dp) bought me for christmas....it made the last two days somewhat bearable...:just hurts so bad

love you mamas! Thanks for being here...everyday is better because of this right here

and some for justmama and her little
Quote:
just wondering if..................

does anyone have an extra 2008 wall calendar? I usually get one randomly for the holiday, but I didn't this year...

thought i would check here before purchasing one
Hi Ediesmom,

I'm worried about Justmama too, but I'm not sure where to stalk her? i'm just hoping there will be a post here as soon as someone hears anything.

I have several 2008 calendars if you want one, I also have a copy of The Womanly Art for your dd if she wants it.
#252 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 06:34 PM

So glad to hear that JustMama and baby are well! Sending good growth thoughts and prayers!!

Well, 2008 is starting as a bit of a bummer- the van has to have 4 new tires, alignment, and some tie rod thing. Waiting too long is not really an option as I have to have it to deliver papers. I bought 2 tires today and will buy the other 2 and the alignment next week. So long Christmas tips.

I am determined to work at budgeting the money we have better and cutting out as many extras as possible, not that there is much at all to cut!

My gratefuls for today :

2 worst tires were replaced, so I hopefully won't get a flat delivering papers at 4:30am in the cold.

My 13 week old dd is the most smiley and cooey baby I have ever known! She makes me so happy just watching and listening to her!

My boys are so sweet and fun. 3 almost 4, 2, and 15 are, for the most part, great ages!

For all his shortcomings as a husband, dh is an exceptional dad and that is a big blessing!
#253 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 06:45 PM

Wow, is this thread ever hard to keep up with!! I don't have time to go through everything, but I hope all the sickies get better, and I'm so glad to hear Justmama's baby is doing well! I'm just knocking on wood here, because my DD has yet to be sick this winter...February is when it hit us last year, me, DD, my mom, both my sisters, and my stepdad all got Norwalk, and there was an outbreak declared at her daycare. Let's hope that doesn't happen again, last year X was around (and for some reason never got it...?!), so it didn't matter so much that I missed a ton of work, but this year I will be in huge financial trouble if I miss more than a couple days:
#254 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 07:25 PM

I am thankful for crab rangoons that I can make myself. I've been dying for them, but don't ever have the money for Chinese food. So I found a recipe, and for $6 I'm making 50 rangoons for now and later!

Yes, small celebration... but it makes me happy.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#255 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
I am thankful for crab rangoons that I can make myself. I've been dying for them, but don't ever have the money for Chinese food. So I found a recipe, and for $6 I'm making 50 rangoons for now and later!

Sometimes its the small things that can add some joy especially in difficult times. Sounds tasty!

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#256 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 07:38 PM

Hi ladies! I haven't been around much (just can't keep up with this thread! ) but I have been thinking of all of you & hope everyone is doing well.

#257 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
oh, mamas!

Oooh, how wonderful news!!
I will continue to keep them in my prayers.

My gratefuls, as saturday has faded into sunday here in Norway:

*My son.
He is the most amazing little man ever.
He is so brave. And just a fantastisc little soul. I am so, so thankful to be his mama.
*We found a place to iceskate when we were out and about today! It`s just a few minutes from our apartment. I promised DS to take him there tomorrow. (There are lots of places to skate here in town, but this one is so, so close!)
*Pizza. I made 2 big pizzas tonight. And we (me, DS and his father) only ate one, so we have another one for tomorrow.

Good night, everyone. It`s past midnight here, and I HAVE to got to bed now.

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

#258 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:
GRATE FUL--
ALEX'S fever droped! yay. i just hope it stays at 97-98 now.
How scary! I am glad the fever is down. I hope he continues to get better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chely7425 View Post

s everyone!!
I hope you find something soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolelynn View Post
I'm not a mama yet (its our debt and finances that are holding us back) and we are praying each month just to make our mortgage payment and minimum credit card payments (ran up $10,000 on credit cards for my dental work). It would have been easy last year when we could have sold our house and got an apartment for half the housing cost...but now with the housing market the way it is it is next to impossible to sell.

Praying DH gets the promotion/raise he is in line for and essentially promised one day (but this has been going on for a year)...which would be a $15,000/yr raise and get us out of debt and on the way to being parents!

In the meantime...I am grateful for my DH and family- I am so lucky.
Good luck paying down the debt. That is a great goal.

Quote:
oh, mamas!

YAY!!! I am so happy to hear this! Do you know if she is cloth diapering? If she is, does she use wool? Will she get to bring baby home soonish? I am thinking of her and baby(name?) every single day.
Thank you so much for checking on her!
Quote:

Sometimes it is the little things!!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#259 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{[[hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I have been getting 10+ pm's a day and it keeps dragging me back to MDC!

I am never going to get anything done IRL!

Resistance is futile Matey
#260 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Hey wait.... who DDDDC'd me?

#261 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 09:04 PM

Holy cow, I don't make it online for a few days and the thread explodes!
#262 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 09:08 PM

#263 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:

i'm glad you found the recipe:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyTamara View Post
Oooh, how wonderful news!!
I will continue to keep them in my prayers.

My gratefuls, as saturday has faded into sunday here in Norway:

*My son.
He is the most amazing little man ever.
He is so brave. And just a fantastisc little soul. I am so, so thankful to be his mama.
*We found a place to iceskate when we were out and about today! It`s just a few minutes from our apartment. I promised DS to take him there tomorrow. (There are lots of places to skate here in town, but this one is so, so close!)
*Pizza. I made 2 big pizzas tonight. And we (me, DS and his father) only ate one, so we have another one for tomorrow.

Good night, everyone. It`s past midnight here, and I HAVE to got to bed now.
your post made me happy....i love the way you love your son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle View Post
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{[[hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I have been getting 10+ pm's a day and it keeps dragging me back to MDC!

I am never going to get anything done IRL!
mama, be like ME bitch about the mess ad nauseum, but actual DO very little about it boosts post count

man, i think i need to talk with my therapist about my intense reaction to absolutely ANY birth trauma. I get all out of whack and my heart just aches so bad(physically). I guess I don't expect myself to ever be 'normal' around it, but its so intense. Its coming up on my dd's death/birth date soon, too. so i'm sure i am just super sensitive

edie has a gf over for a sleepover.....Isleepovers

popcorn and a movie....and nintendo ds (giggle)

see you in the morning....night mamas

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#264 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:

man, i think i need to talk with my therapist about my intense reaction to absolutely ANY birth trauma. I get all out of whack and my heart just aches so bad(physically). I guess I don't expect myself to ever be 'normal' around it, but its so intense. Its coming up on my dd's death/birth date soon, too. so i'm sure i am just super sensitive
#265 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle View Post
Hey wait.... who DDDDC'd me?
thats funny! high priestess indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamoo View Post
:

YAY!!! I am so happy to hear this! Do you know if she is cloth diapering? If she is, does she use wool? Will she get to bring baby home soonish? I am thinking of her and baby(name?) every single day.
Thank you so much for checking on her!
she had knitted some woolies, so she doesn't expect allergies.....

and she said she needed to BUY! preemie prefolds......anyone have some?

she also said she thinks she (herself) will be home tomorrow to update and all...

#266 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{[ediesmom}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

: Healing vibes for all the sick moms and kids!!!!

#267 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 09:47 PM

#268 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

there is a yahoo group called birthrage. you might join it.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#269 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 10:27 PM

This thread moves so fast I can barely keep up. I am happy to hear justmama and her baby are doing well. I have to admit something. As I read the posts you ladies put her I start to feel guilty. WHile I am quite poor I don't struggle like so many of you do, makes me feel guilty to be on this thread knowing so many struggle so much more than me.

Our tv broke the other night, my son accidentally spilled a cup of water inside it. BUt that same night an acquiantence online on a local board offered me one she was taking to Goodwill. It's a 21" and works perfectly and she is bringing it by tomorrow am. It's half the sie of my one that broke but I don't care, what a blessing to be getting a new one so fast.

The fridge is pretty bare right now but the freezer is stocked as is the pantry so we are not actually short on food. It just means canned and frozen fruit and veggies and powdered milk until tuesday, that's not so bad.

My ex husband paid some child support this week for the first time in 1.5 years and says he will pay some more on the 15th. We will see, I don't rely on it but it sure makes things easier when he pays. My custody papers came in. The judge signed off on all my terms, so while ex and I are still married, I have sole custody, both physically and legally, the judge passed the clauses I had that said I can get their passports and travel out of the country without his permission, he also included my terms that ex can not leave the city without my written permission. What a relief to have custody in writing. Next step is to actually refile for divorce(he fought it for 4 years last time I filed, this time he says he will jsut agree to all terms)

I haven't had a chance to talk with my bf since before xmas, he is working up north so we seldom got to talk much, I just send him emails to read when he gets a chance. I got an email back today, was nice to hear from him. Feels strange to be planning to move in together and start adding to the family in JUne when we hardly get to see each other but it really i the best time to do so, and I think will work out spendidly.

Baby is sick today, mild fever and vomitting. Poor dear. I had to cancel my time to clean the gymnastics club tomorrow because of it, the club spazzed on me, but tough luck, her health is more important riht now than free lessons for an older kid. We are still part of a research study that will pay the fees for me, I was going to use the funding for a family membership to the Y but instead will use it to pay for the 3 kids I still owe club fees on. (I already did one cleaning session so 1 kid goes for free)

Tomorrow I start my cake decorating class, I am super excited to start, it is something I always wanted to do, but never had childcare or cost for it. The registration and supplies were paid for by my mom as a xmas gift, she is also watching the kids for me while I am there.

Didn't have money for the cat license though, forgot about it entirely until it was too late. I called the officer who issued my warning asking for an extention until Tuesday before he issues a $250 ticket. I have not heard back but he was not on my doorstep tonight so I can hope right? Hopefully he grants it, then I only pay $12.50 on Tuesday not that big ticket.

hmmm, think that is everything. So there has been some hiccups along the way but over all things are working out just fine.

Brandy Single momma to A(11), C(10), H(6) and I(2)
:
#270 of 689 Old 01-05-2008, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Hun everyone struggles in different ways and everyone see's income in different ways.

You don't have to be near homeless to post or come here! Don't feel guilty... feel GRATEFUL for your family!

{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page