I want to be one of those ppl that gets $938493 groceries for $19! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2008, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post
Our flyer this week had things like "Save 25c on any one Ragu sauce. Well, Ragu is 1.99/jar. Minus 50c - 1.49. Fine, except that the store brand is only 1.50 every single day, and has no HFCS in it?
But, Ragu is one of those things that goes on sale. Maybe not this week, but probably in the next 6 weeks. So, you clip the coupon, and it goes on buy one get one sale--making it $1/jar. Then, if you have a 25 cent coupon doubled, your final price is 50 cents a jar. Which is cheaper than the store brand.

Now, I don't like Ragu. So, I don't clip those coupons. No matter how cheap it is, we like homemade sauce. If I wasn't brand specific (in this case, for homemade), I could save more money.

But, we love some Duke's mayonaise. And, I can regularly get it on sale for $1.50 (it goes on sale every 8-12 weeks). Coupons are usually out for about 60 cents off, making my price 90 cents. Which is much cheaper than any generic.

I go through stops and starts of using coupons. But, I can definitely save money when I spend a little time on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2008, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Okay, next question -- what's the point of multiple papers? Every coupon in our Sunday paper clearly states "Limit one coupon per purchase on product specified." So you can't stack coupons to get things for free?
But you can buy mutiple items of the same thing. If cereal is on sale 10 for $15.00 and I buy 10 boxes I can use 10 coupons for those boxes.

Heidi
Old 01-14-2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post
1. Is it still worth it if your store don't double? I, also, live in the Land of No Doubles (LOND) and do quite well. I think the areas that have maybe some of the better BOGO sales or double coupons actually may have higher prices to begin with (not 100% sure) though which accounts for some of those better deals in other areas. Does that make sense?

2. Can you do it without going to many different stores each week? I suppose you can, but you will be limiting yourself.

3. Is it worth it if I live in a moble home and seriously can't store 10 boxes of cereal? You have more storage space than you may think...how about under your bed? Even if you do a small stockpile, it's better than nothing.

4. Most of what I buy isn't name brand or in a box, its produce, dairy and from the bakery. Still worth it? Yes, it can be. Check Target's coupons.

Some of the stories are incredible on those websites but I was also reading incredible complicated stories about how to get the hot deals involving different stores and complex combinations of deals. Not sure I can manage!
Old 01-14-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmysticprincessx View Post
also, keep an eye on coupon values. we often get ragu coupons for $1.00 off 3. but other parts of the country get coupons for $0.50 off 2 or $0.25 off 1. (i think its b/c around here, most of the grocery stores double coupons up to 99 cents. it seems like there's more coupons worth less than $1 in places w/o double coupons.) so then i order a bunch of $0.50/2 coupons online and get my pasta sauce (along with the funny looks and comments like "um, so you like pasta?")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post
I think I'm missing something here - $1.00 off three = 66cents off each, 50c off 2 is only 25 cents off each. Why do you not do the $1 off?
I'm still not getting this, can someone please explain?
Old 01-15-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
If her stores double up to 99 cents, then a $1/3 coupon will be 33 cents off each item.

But, if the coupon is 50 cents/2 items, then that coupon value (doubled) will be 50 cents off each item, making that coupon a better deal.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
If her stores double up to 99 cents, then a $1/3 coupon will be 33 cents off each item.

But, if the coupon is 50 cents/2 items, then that coupon value (doubled) will be 50 cents off each item, making that coupon a better deal.
ok, so i cant figure out the multi-quote thing....

but yeah, betsy has it right. the grocery stores around here double up to 99 cents. so the $0.50/2 coupons get doubled to $1.00/2, so that's better than using the $1.00/3 at face value.

but like i said before, if grocery stores in your area double coupons and you get a lot of coupons in your sunday paper for $1.00/2 (ie, ones that are too high of a value to be doubled), check out ebay, thecouponclippers.com, or thecouponmaster.com for coupons with a lower value (ie, that can be doubled). we get a lot of those, and its b/c the manufacturers do this on purpose. they have more of an allegience to the store than the customer, so they print coupons that are too high to be doubled. (the doubled part of the coupon comes from the store, not paid for by the manufacturer. stores are reimbursed for the value printed on the coupon, plus an 8 cent handling fee.)

our sales come out on sundays. so i check the sale ads every sunday, and if there's something *really* good on sale, then i'll check out ebay, thecouponclippers, or thecouponmaster to get a large amount of those coupons. i usually pay a few dollars for the coupons, but they save me soooo much money. when buying coupons on ebay, i try to find ones from sellers that are closest to me so that there will be a faster shipping time. (TCC comes from florida, and i think TCM comes from somewhere in new england.)

target has coupons available in a few different places. they change them (printable ones) every 2 weeks on their website. i think you have to click on the "super target" tab on their site. this is where people are finding the produce coupons (along with various others). however, various sites will save the coupon file so that you can print multiples on the same page (vs 1 coupon per page like printing them on target.com). target also sometimes mails coupons, but there's really no rhyme or reason as to how they pick who gets the coupons. i've also heard of coupons being printed out at the register (similar to the catalina coupons that print out at the grocery store). i'm also on a bunch of companies' email lists, so i get printable coupons from target that way. you can print as many as you like, since they are store coupons. the $3/2 huggies coupons (from another recent thread) was on a link in an ad at babycenter. i also got emailed a $1.50/1 target printable coupon for luvs.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:31 AM

Does eveyone else's Target have produce?
Old 01-15-2008, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post
Does eveyone else's Target have produce?
nope, i think its just super targets, but i could be wrong. we have a new (regular) target that has a bigger food section than the "older" targets (that are really only 5 or so years old!). they just have a larger refrigerated/frozen section and a few more aisles of boxed/packaged stuff, but no produce.

oh, and you *can* use super target coupons at regular target. (there's target coupon policies floating around... just do a google search and bring a copy in with you if they give you a hard time. the pain about target is that it seems like every store can make up its own coupon rules, with the exception of the ones specifically listed in the corporate policy.)
Old 01-15-2008, 03:30 AM

Quote:
But, Ragu is one of those things that goes on sale. Maybe not this week, but probably in the next 6 weeks. So, you clip the coupon, and it goes on buy one get one sale--making it $1/jar. Then, if you have a 25 cent coupon doubled, your final price is 50 cents a jar. Which is cheaper than the store brand.
They always expire before I get to use them? Seriously. When we were really broke, I watched the flyers eagle-eyed, I saved my coupons for sales, I had a list of them all so I could see what they were while I shopped..,

Maybe I'm just missing something, or maybe this varies by region?

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

Old 01-15-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:

Now, I don't like Ragu. So, I don't clip those coupons. No matter how cheap it is, we like homemade sauce. If I wasn't brand specific (in this case, for homemade), I could save more money.

But, we love some Duke's mayonaise. And, I can regularly get it on sale for $1.50 (it goes on sale every 8-12 weeks). Coupons are usually out for about 60 cents off, making my price 90 cents. Which is much cheaper than any generic.

I go through stops and starts of using coupons. But, I can definitely save money when I spend a little time on it.

Duke Mayo person here as well but never seen coupons for them here . Any recently you have seen ? I wonder if I write them if they will end me coupons ..hmmmm

Sarah
Old 01-15-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Maybe I'm just missing something, or maybe this varies by region?
I think it all varies by region, immensely. The Sunday papers have different coupons based on what region you're in, AND double coupons vary by region as well.

When I lived up north in MI we had double coupons up to $1. They eliminated that only about a year after we left. Down here, there are no double coupons.

The best I do now is when they have buy one get one free deals...on those you can use two coupons for the two items. But, it has to be on food that I like or will actually use. That is the problem. And, with a lot of things you do better buying the off brands than getting the name brand on sale with coupons.

I used to spend a lot of time doing this in the past, the problem is now with a family that time is VERY important to devote to family stuff. Which, since we don't have double coupons anyhow is just fine with me.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Old 01-15-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2dea View Post
Duke Mayo person here as well but never seen coupons for them here . Any recently you have seen ? I wonder if I write them if they will end me coupons ..hmmmm

Sarah
Is Duke really good? I've never tried it...

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Old 01-15-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
I hate mayo and always have Duke is the only kind I can eat . Mind you I still use very little but I buy it full price cause its the only kind I can eat . My daughter eats egg salad sandwiches every day . Thats her kick right now Special needs so she goes threw spurt of eating only 1 thing and then will switch on me without notice..lol So I need more mayo but no sales and no coupons .
Old 01-15-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2dea View Post
I hate mayo and always have Duke is the only kind I can eat . Mind you I still use very little but I buy it full price cause its the only kind I can eat . My daughter eats egg salad sandwiches every day . Thats her kick right now Special needs so she goes threw spurt of eating only 1 thing and then will switch on me without notice..lol So I need more mayo but no sales and no coupons .
I will absolutely have to try it sometime...I don't use mayo a lot. Talk about frugal...I'm making crab cakes tonight using mayo packets leftover from restaurants...:

Old 01-15-2008, 03:04 PM

coupons don't always work for us either, but for certain items, like dog food (my dogs can't tolerate the cheap store brand stuff, it's not pretty), they are great. If we have good coupons, we buy a few newspapers too. Some things are much better at the bump and dent store or the store brand, but one of our grocery store triples coupons up to 1.00, so if they are already having a sale, and we have a coupon and get another 1.00 off, it can add up.

the key is really looking ahead, buying on sale, and having the money available to buy lots of the item when it's on sale.

I confess to not doing well, because when I am shopping, I am usually not alone, so I am not willing to spend lots of time comparison shopping, plus I don't do multiple stores, I just don't have the time. My husband is a better shopper then me, so I usually send him, he can generally save 10-20/trip with coupons (that's 2 weeks worth of food, probably a 300.00 bill).

If we could learn to save more, that would be great, I'm going to check out those other sites later. Our stores around here don't let us print online coupons anymore, anyone else have that? They say too much fraud or something????
Old 01-15-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguine_speed View Post
Don't feel bad--we don't get ANY coupons in circulars. We also don't have doubling ANYWHERE if we are able to find coupons online or whatnot. Doubling is a foreign concept here.
Us too. It has to be a regional thing I guess.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi315 View Post
Our stores around here don't let us print online coupons anymore, anyone else have that? They say too much fraud or something????
A lot of stores will no longer take internet coupons. There had been a bunch floating around a few years ago that were fraudulent (either photocopied or photoshopped). The stores were not reimbursed for the money from the coupons by the manufacturers, so they lost the money. There are a lot of legit printable coupon sites (ie, coupons.com, smartsource.com, various companies' websites), but many stores do not want to take the risk. Some stores around here will take lower value internet coupons, will only take them if they scan, wont take free item ones, etc. Each printed coupon has a unique code on it (plus sometimes your email address), so if there are copies made, only the 1st coupon with that unique code on it will be reimbursed. Most of the websites you can print coupons at limit you to 2 per computer.

If the stores wont let you use printed coupons, just call or email the company. Often they are happy to send you a regular coupon in the mail.

oh, and http://www.organicvalley.com has lots of printable coupons. They are good for a month after you print them.

The Target printable ones are different. They are not manufacturer's coupons but actual Target store coupons. (Think back in the day before the "savings cards" at grocery stores where you needed to clip the coupon out of the ad to save 50 cents on a bag of sugar.)
Old 01-15-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
Duke's is the best. Local chefs (I'm in Atlanta) will sometimes write recipes for the paper that call for "high quality mayo--either homemade or Duke's". It's that good. I think maybe cause it doesn't have sugar? I don't know, but I love it. LOL

I don't know about coupons. I had a few from several months ago, so I've got a stash of mayo. But, I'm in Atlanta, and I get more coupons in the Atlanta paper than in most places, I think. We also get a local suburb specific newspaper (for our suburb of 700,000 people). That small paper doesn't have nearly the same coupons. There aren't as many, they aren't for as much off, that sort of thing.

Duke's goes on sale about every 8-12 weeks at Ingle's.

And, yes, I realize that it's sad that I have a cult-like love for mayo. ROFL
Old 01-16-2008, 09:58 PM

This thread has been so helpful! I've got a big list of sites to visit and check out and hope my next shopping trip is a success.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:45 PM

Maybe somebody already mentioned this, but I have saved a ton on groceries using www.thegrocerygame.com If you can't afford the Sunday paper there are creative ways to get coupons. I shop at three different stores all withing a few miles of me. I have a lot of fun playing the "game". Dh is 100% supportive after he accompanied me on a shopping trip last week. His favorite was walking out of CVS (a drugstore) with over $60 in groceries and toiletries for only $4.99 and I pocketed $19 in "Extra Care Bucks" which are like gift certificates that I can use on anything I want the next time I shop.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:50 PM

Here's a new online coupon thing: http://www.softcoin.com/Sites/PG_eSA...ys/Source/Frys
Old 01-17-2008, 02:52 AM

CVS and Target (maybe other stores too) will allow you to use a MFG coupon and a store coupon on the same item. If you have both you can seriously save cash.

Right now CVS has a diabetes monitor that earns you a $9.99 Extra Care Buck (it's their reward program, it's a coupon that prints on the botom of your receipt, you can use them to buy most things in the store) They also have a coupon out making that monitor free. So you buy the monitor and use the coupon making it free. Then you get a $9.99 coupon to use.

I either keep the monitors and use the test strips out of them or donate them.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have read through the entire thread and I think I lie somewhere in the middle between the savings queen and the still confused. I have been working really hard for the last 6months to reduce our grocery bill and I have been moderately successful. I, personally, can not devote the time or energy to shopping at many different stores, ordering coupons over the web, etc. etc. So, I will never have a story where I get $100 worth of groceries for $10.

However, each week I spend my ds's first nap on couponing (cut up the Sunday paper and print all the online coupons I can find for anything and everything that I would ever consider using.) Then, one night per week after the baby is asleep I search the online circulars of the three grocery stores around me. Whichever has the larger amount of better deals is where I will shop that week. Some weeks I save around $40-$50 on $150-$200 worth of groceries and some weeks I don't save much at all.

But, the biggest thing that has helped me understand it is that I need to look at saving money over a longer period of time. Last week, my ACME had tons of things on sale that I use all the time and have been hording coupons for. For example, we eat 2-3 cans progresso soups for lunches each week. Acme had a sale for $1.00 each (usually $2.49-$3.49) and I had many coupons for $1.00 off of 2 cans. So, I bought a ton and only paid $0.50 (saving me at least $2 per can.) With everything else that I stocked up on, I spent almost $250, but I saved close to $100. So, the amount that I have to spend the next few months will be less because I won't have to buy frozen fruit, canned soup, oatmeal, refried beans, etc.

My grocery store does 10 for $10 deals and I always take advantage of those, and it is even better when it is for a name brand and you can use coupons as well. If you can be prepared to buy it when it is on sale, rather than when you need it, that is where I think you can save the most money.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:14 PM

How do you know if a store doubles coupons?
Is there a site or something?

I've been doing the coupon thing but only for things we use. What I do to get the "good coupons" for organics and stuff is I email the company through there web site and ask. They almost always send out coupons! I email them every 6 months and get more coupons.

Some sales I from last week:

Odwalla bars were on sale for $1 each - had a $1 coupon (odwalla sent me these) making them free!
(Cliff bars are on sale this week for $1 and they sent me 50 cent off coupons making them 50 cents each!)

Kashi cereal was on sale 2/$4- I had 2- $1 coupons (again, KAshi sent me the coupons) making them $1 each!

8th continental soy milk- On sale 2/$5- $1 coupons making it 2/$3

Doles Organic diced canned tomatoes were on sale 10/$10- I had a buy 2 and save 50 cents making them 75cents each (making them 60% off!)

Feline Pine- free after rebate! (again emailed the company and they sent me a hand full of rebate slips!)

Tofutti cuties on sale for 2/$5- I had 2 $1 coupons and recieved 2 boxes for the price of 1.

Bobs Red Mill Whole ground Flax seed on sale for $3.78- $1 off coupon making it $2.78

Bobs Red Mill corn grits on sale for $2.19- $1 off coupon making it $1.19

Edens organic Apple sauce on sale for $2.80- $1 off coupon making it $1.80

Edens organic Seaweed Gamasio spice on Sale for $2.63- $1 off coupon making it $1.63

Ronzoni Healthy harvest whole wheat pasta on sale 3/$4- 3 50 cent off coupons making them $2.50 for all 3.

There were more items last week too but this was all I could remember.
I shop at 3 different stores to receive these savings. All 3 stores are within 3 miles of us. Again, most of the coupons I used came directly from them. I email asking for coupons (always include you address, even before you get an answer) and they send me stacks of coupons! I only use them when on sale and plan dinner menus (2 weeks at a time ) from the items that are on sale. I usually don't stock up on foods unless its things like bread and pasta, cans of tomatoes, soy milk.. stuff I know I use every single day.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ooooooh good point! When I started, I made a list of all the companies that I was buying from each week and went to their web-sites. Some of them have coupons right there waiting for you and some of them you have to e-mail. But, almost all of them will mail you coupons!
Old 01-17-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansricerevolt View Post
How do you know if a store doubles coupons?
Is there a site or something?
if the store doubles coupons, you'd know. the stores around here that double coupons are the grocery stores, and they have big signs when you walk into the stores and it says it across the top of their ads.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:18 AM

I've tried posting to this thread 2x and it keeps messing up!

I just wanted to say that I was skeptical, but I joined the grocery game and my savings in my first week of couponing were:

Coupon Savings:
Club Card savings:

Total Savings Value: 96.87
Old 01-30-2008, 04:10 AM

subbing
Old 01-30-2008, 01:29 PM

I went to the grocery game and put in my ZIP code.

Only stores they do in my area are Rite Aid and CVS. I just don't need THAT much soap and toothpaste, and I can follow those deals on my own.

Oh well.

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

Old 01-30-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmysticprincessx View Post
if the store doubles coupons, you'd know. the stores around here that double coupons are the grocery stores, and they have big signs when you walk into the stores and it says it across the top of their ads.
Not necessarily. Here, Meijer doubles but only has a line at the bottom of their ad in small print saying they do (absolutely no signs in the store about it) and Kroger doubles, but they don't have signs or anything in their paper about it. I wouldn't have known, except FMIL told me when I moved into town that they did.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

User Tag List