I want to be one of those ppl that gets $938493 groceries for $19! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 134 Old 02-13-2008, 02:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnice View Post
Yep. Unless there are only one or two of something I don't take them all. Often in the fine print it says no wine purchase required in SD too even if it is required in other states. Although I'm not exactly sure how common winetags are in SD (or anywhere else I don't live).
Ah, where I live there's no wine in the grocery. I'd have to make a special trip to a specialty wine market, and I'd be really uncomfortable walking in and pulling wine tags off and walking back out....

Plus, as I think of it, I don't know as I've seen such things. Either the employees of the wine stores are pulling them, or the companies don't bother with tie-ins when they're not right in a grocery store?

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#122 of 134 Old 02-13-2008, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
our grocery store has the liquor department seperate but **** in the store. I have never seen any coupons on the wine. I have never seen coupons that were save $$ on something else unles you bought that product too. I don't tink I could take coupons off of something i wasn't buying. That just feels wrong. like it would mess up my coupon karma.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#123 of 134 Old 02-13-2008, 03:15 PM

1.As far as meat, no coupons but I've just been stocking up and freezing when it's on sale. This week I got 6 lbs. of chicken breast for 10 dollars. Last week it was 2 whole chickens for 5 dollars. Whatever's on sale I buy a lot of. Milk, I only buy organic so we don't get any savings there, though I do have coupons for other dairy like cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese, yogurt. Produce, again, no coupons but the big change for me has been to look at what is on sale/cheap in season, and create meals around that food vs. deciding what to cook and buying it no matter what the price.

2. As far as time. I'm sure I'd be saving a ton more if I drove around, but it's not worth it to me. So, Saturday night I check the grocerygame for Sunday's deals. I print out the list and get my coupons ready and print some out (maybe 20 min or 30). Sunday I get the paper and clip just the ones I need (on my list from the night before) and go shopping. This is my 4th week and we've cut 45-50 dollars off each week and we are still in the stocking up phase. We'll buy less after 12 weeks when our pantry is fully stocked.

3. Some mental changes for me: I had to design meals around what is a deal, as I said. Also, I decided that sure I like natural toothpaste, but if the Colgate's free (like it is this week at Vons) then I'm going to use it and have extra money for organic milk and produce. Only buying on sale and stocking up was a big change from buying what I want that week.
#124 of 134 Old 02-14-2008, 03:14 AM

I shop CVS sales and deals for my toiletries/OTC meds. I usually only spend a few dollars out of pocket.

I shop our local grocery store, Winn Dixie, for everything else. I spend about $35 weekly for a family of 3, just on food.

The hard part about couponing is reminding yourself that you do not need to buy it just because it's on sale and you have a coupon if you know won't use it!
#125 of 134 Old 02-14-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post
Ah, where I live there's no wine in the grocery. I'd have to make a special trip to a specialty wine market, and I'd be really uncomfortable walking in and pulling wine tags off and walking back out....

Plus, as I think of it, I don't know as I've seen such things. Either the employees of the wine stores are pulling them, or the companies don't bother with tie-ins when they're not right in a grocery store?
We have one wine/liquor store that I visit sometimes and I never see any winetags in there, except ones that tell you how many wine points Wine Spectator gave it. When I'm in there I do actually buy wine

I do find them in all three of the non Wal-Mart grocery chains around here though. It's very random and frankly it become sort of a treasure hunt for me (i.e. like going finding a good thrift shop find).

Lilyka--In DecemberI found some seafood winetags that didn't require wine purchase in SD. I saved them until we were in SD for xmas and used them to buy oysters for the oyster stew.
#126 of 134 Old 02-18-2008, 08:25 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#127 of 134 Old 02-19-2008, 09:21 PM

I've been having a LOT of luck with the grocery game. Not $12332453245 for $19, but lots of savings! I've done three weeks so far and am very impressed.
#128 of 134 Old 02-19-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieR View Post
I've been having a LOT of luck with the grocery game. Not $12332453245 for $19, but lots of savings! I've done three weeks so far and am very impressed.
Same here. At first I wondered if I'd even get my 5-dollars a month back in savings, but I've cut off 50 dollars a week for 4 weeks now. I'm hoping to cut another 30-40 off eventually.
#129 of 134 Old 02-20-2008, 11:02 AM

Hey Flor ~ Did you use an email address referral? I didn't, and if you didn't, we could put each other's email address in and be 1/3 closer to getting a free month of TGG. Just a thought!
#130 of 134 Old 02-20-2008, 06:00 PM

Hey there ladies!

I need to clip coupons *more*. I only use them maybe once a month... I tend to forget.

Anyhow, last week I was SO proud of myself. I found a MFR coupon for $2.00 off any pack of these BIC Soleil disposable women's razors. I happened to have the coupon with me at Kroger, not expecting that they would be on sale. Turns out the green scented kind (but not any other color) were on clearance for like $1.55 or so each. Turns out I got 4 packages of razors (with 4 razors each) for only about $4, when at full price I would've paid about $16-$18 for them. WOW. So now I am all stocked up on razors. Haha. I couldn't resist buying more than two, even though I would've almost had them for free, because they weren't going to re-stock these and normally they are so much more expensive. I seriously think I won't need to buy anymore razors for the entire year or more! These are the cheapest razors I can use that I won't cut myself up with, because they have the triple blades and the comfort pad thing on them. I guess they went on clearance because people didn't like the color/scent. Who cares? They are razors! LOL. Man, I really lucked out!

-
#131 of 134 Old 02-21-2008, 10:10 AM

The ECB thing at CVS is annoying sometimes. However, last night, I bought $50 worth of stuff for $24 dollars and got $10 in ECB. CVS is overpriced in the first place, but still $26 bucks in savings is not that bad.

Most stores have a machine you can scan your card at for CVS coupons. I used that and a manufacturer's coupon for $2 off Excedrin Migraine. I bought for ECB:

1 CVS Electrolyte Solution - 1 ECB
1 Excedrin Migraine - 5 ECB
2 Colgate Toothbrushes - 4 ECB

All their Valentine's stuff was 90% off, so I picked up a few items from that.

I had gotten a coupon from the scanning machine for $3 off $10 of CVS products and $1 off coupon for CVS cookies. I used both of those and bought:

1 CVS HE Washing Detergent
3 pair CVS Rubber Gloves
1 pack of CVS Scrubbing Sponges
1 bottle of CVS Bathroom Cleaner
1 package of Absolutely Divine Cookies

On Friday, I am looking to spend the ECB buying the $30 worth of stuff you get $15 ECB for. I have a few coupons for those items too.

I guess the trick is there to only buy things you have CVS coupons for that are CVS brand and to only buy brand name products that earn ECBs and you have manufacturer's coupons for.
#132 of 134 Old 02-21-2008, 11:49 AM

i know most of you use cloth diapers, but i'm sure some use disposables when you go out, go to grandma's etc. walgreens has some really good baby coupons: generic diapers $3.99, wipes $0.99, baby wash/lotion/etc $0.99, BOGO pictures, generic pedialite, adn a couple others. just ignore the bottom one on the left.
http://www.walgreens.com/dmi/babyoffers/default.html
these expire on saturday the 23rd.

ps- get a free chapstick naturals too. 1st, buy the chapstick naturals for $2. it will print a coupon for $2 off your next purchase. use this coupon (its a manufacturer's coupon) along with the printed store coupons to get the chapstick free! (only 1 $2 coupon will print per transaction when you buy chapstick, so just separate the chapsticks if you want multiple coupons.)
#133 of 134 Old 02-22-2008, 09:23 AM

OK, CVS ECB Adventure:

Round 1:
1 CVS Electrolyte Solution - 1 ECB
1 Excedrin Migraine - 5 ECB
2 Colgate Kid's Toothbrushes - 4 ECB

Spent about $17 w/tax for 10 ECB.

Round 2:

2 Ziploc items
1 bag of Huggies wipes
1 pack of Cottonelle TP
1 pack of Viva Paper Towels
1 Palmolive dish soap
1 pack of Energizer batteries
1 box of family sized Kleenex

This is $30 exactly to earn the ECB reward of 15 ECB. I used the 10 ECB from Round 1 to pay for Round 2. So I paid $20 and got 15 ECB.

Round 3:

3 large tubes of Eucerin lotion.

Original total was about $21. Had a few coupons in addition. Used Round 2's ECB and ended up paying only $1.67 for $21 worth of lotion. I received 10 ECB for Round 3.

Round 4:

1 Venus Excellence Razor w/5 blades
1 double pack of Colgate 360 toothbrushes

Total was about $14.70 w/coupon for the razor. Paid with 10 ECB from Round 3. So, about $4.70. Got 8 ECB.

And that is about it. I couldn't think of anything else that would give me ECB that I would actually need or want. So end of the ECB saga for this week. You could probably make out better than I did by using more coupons, however, I don't get the paper, so had to scrounge around for those I had or get them from the internet. I think the lotion was a good deal in particular. Might last us the next 2 years and I like Eucerin.
#134 of 134 Old 02-27-2008, 12:46 AM

So another great week with The Grocery Game - I think the deal of the day was 4 bottles of Pert 2 in 1 shampoo for less than $2. They were on sale for 2 for $4, and then I had two buy one get one free coupons. And then the register discounted the two "free" ones at the full price of $6. I am wholeheartedly convinced that I should never have to buy any bathroom stuff for more than half of retail again - and often even cheaper.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page