I want to be one of those ppl that gets $938493 groceries for $19! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 134 Old 01-08-2008, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, a year ago I was debt free and working on Dave Ramsey's baby step #3. (emergency fund = 6 months of income)

Then a major depressive episode and various other garbagey things hit and here I am with some debt and no more emergency fund anymore. And I want to get back into the swing of things.

I just worked out my zero based budget for the next few months and I've only given us $60/2x month for groceries. We also get Angelfood Ministries AND qualify for the food pantry, so it's going to be tight but doable. (The Angelfood is budgeted for - so it's actually $150/month for groceries including the $30 for them.)

If I could learn to be a coupon maven it would be even better. Any of you coupon experts want to take a remedial student like me under her wing? Or offer your very best beginner's advice on this thread?

:

flowersforyou.gif

#2 of 134 Old 01-08-2008, 06:24 PM

Those coupon experts do not normally experience savings like you describe or like they spot light on tv. They plan those televised trips to be extra shockingly good to make an impression.

The best way to save money at the grocery store is to comparrison shop, plan your meals, cook from scratch and dump junk food. There really is not magic formula. The Tightwad Gazette books have great ideas for saving money and the author is very honest about what you can realistically expect to save. Typically, applying her methods will save you 50% on your grocery bill.

Saving Dinner is actually really good too for helping you get on track with meal planning/grocery shopping. Coupons are mostly good for junk food or non-food items, unfortunately, so they don't really help with the grocery bill except here and there when I feel like giving the kids chocolate cereal for a change or there is a coupon for already really cheap or on sale staples.

My 2 cents.
#3 of 134 Old 01-08-2008, 06:59 PM

well thats me :

like today at target.
2 packages travel wipes
2 boxes electrasol
1 pack paper cups

total was 5 cents after my three coupons.

I seriously just watch the sales and watch coupon forums...i did the Grocery Game but after a year I have caught on well enough that I am good on my own...

Also I can tell you when my local Albertson's grocery store has mark downs for the dairy section...on those days I typically get yogurt for the next week (10 -24 cups) for less than a dollar...sometimes for less than fifty cents.
It is just all in clipping coupons and being aware.

I can take you under my wing for sure...any questions you have just ask...I gave a demonstration and presentation for my MOPS group last year.

OH and i Have NOT given up junk food and I do not cook from scratch (im too ADD for the 'from scratch' stuff) ..and I manage to spend 400 a month on a family with 3 adults and 2 kids (and this includes going out to eat twice a month BiG when dh is home from work)

Proud Momma of 2 boys R(6) L(4) & finally a GIRL (5/29/10)
..Fused & Fabulous!
#4 of 134 Old 01-08-2008, 07:04 PM

:
#5 of 134 Old 01-08-2008, 07:26 PM

first question

did you get a sunday paper this week? on the sixth?

that is your FIRST step to complete...i'll be back.

..Fused & Fabulous!
#6 of 134 Old 01-08-2008, 08:20 PM

also when yogurt cups on sale - take advantage- u can freeze them!
#7 of 134 Old 01-08-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianyoushi View Post
also when yogurt cups on sale - take advantage- u can freeze them!
Really? This alone made reading this thread worth it and saved me $$$

so can you put them in stand-alone freezer or only in the fridge's freezer
#8 of 134 Old 01-08-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitnbugsmom View Post
Really? This alone made reading this thread worth it and saved me $$$

so can you put them in stand-alone freezer or only in the fridge's freezer

You can freeze them in both. I've found that different brands freeze and thaw differently - We did not like Activia when it was thawed - custard type yogurts are fine in our family.

Me:
#9 of 134 Old 01-08-2008, 09:01 PM

I've been using the grocery game for almost two years. I could figure it out on my own now, but I'm lazy. We regularly save 60-70% on our weekly grocery bill - and never pay more than $35-40 for everything, produce, meat, dairly, paper and toiletry products included. Family of 3 and a doggie.

hot coupon world is also a great place to find out about grocery deals.

Me:
#10 of 134 Old 01-08-2008, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommabean View Post
first question

did you get a sunday paper this week? on the sixth?

that is your FIRST step to complete...i'll be back.
No. Wow, am I starting off on a bad foot, or what?

Oh, and I was joking in the subject line (wasn't it obvious? no?). Really what I want is some help actually saving money with coupons to stretch our meager budget.

I do have a cousin that is consistently getting big, big savings at grocery stores with coupons and sales, but she lives 4hrs away, we aren't in close contact, and I wouldn't feel comfortable asking for her help. I do know that there are people who can consistently save quite a bit with strategic shopping - just not the $10 million for $20 that I was hoping for.

flowersforyou.gif

#11 of 134 Old 01-08-2008, 09:09 PM

just watch the sales...and ONLY use a coupon if the item is on sale...buy when you DO NOT NEED IT.

that is the best advice i have...because when you need it it is never on sale.

..Fused & Fabulous!
#12 of 134 Old 01-08-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
just watch the sales...and ONLY use a coupon if the item is on sale...buy when you DO NOT NEED IT.

that is the best advice i have...because when you need it it is never on sale.
:

Never fails!
#13 of 134 Old 01-08-2008, 09:23 PM

i froze only yoplait yogurt in both freezer-chest freezer and the one on top of my refrigerator. i dont thaw it though--its just frozen soft serve yogurt for me and the kiddoes --this is great when we were spending 6-7 dollars on a half a gallon of ice cream...
#14 of 134 Old 01-08-2008, 09:34 PM

I started to shop at CVS and walgreens late last month and I think I did good...although it took a while searching for coupons, printing/cutting/filing them, figuring out the store's coupon policys, and just trying out how couponing works, etc.

I bought 4 2-liters of Coke, 2 Glade scented oil candles and a Johnson body soap for kids. Total price was $22.86.........and I spent only $7.70

2 mascaras and 2 toothpastes. Original price..$19.........I paid....$2.67!

4 Glade Scented oil candles. Original price..$27.96........I paid...$1.08.

What I am trying to do with the whole CVS/Walgreens/couponing thing is to buy most of my non food stuff for dirt cheap. What I need to figure out is how to use coupons to get quality food for dirt cheap

Tonight I am going over my coupons and the store ads to see how many of what I can buy inexpensively.

Later!
#15 of 134 Old 01-09-2008, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got $436 of food this weekend for $99.50. Check out the Dave Ramsey support thread for both my bragging and details for how to do it.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#16 of 134 Old 01-09-2008, 12:26 AM

It seems like coupons are usually for processed food and we don't buy much of that. Plus, stores here don't double and so many are buy three boxes of cereal and save 35 cents. It just doesn't seem worth it. But, I'd love to be wrong!
#17 of 134 Old 01-09-2008, 01:21 AM

if u have an albertsons near u - they have buy one get one free in the meat section-- check the weekly ads- u can view them online.
#18 of 134 Old 01-09-2008, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Actually, this past weekend's coupons had some GREAT organics and not-so-processed coupons. I have pretty much given up on food coupons, but I got really excited when I went through them this weekend!

And HEY ATTILA!! You may have been around, but I haven't seen you in a while! Nice to see you.

Atilla's GREAT at planning and cooking cheap, by the way.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#19 of 134 Old 01-09-2008, 02:48 AM

Just an FYI...you can freeze milk and half and half, too. I usually stock up when it's on sale.

ETA: And do the math when you're shopping...a name brand on sale + a coupon may not be the best deal for that product. The store brand might still be cheaper.

VivC

Mom to Dominici (5 years old)

http://mommywriting.com

#20 of 134 Old 01-09-2008, 12:07 PM

:
#21 of 134 Old 01-09-2008, 12:51 PM

you can freeze everything just about.

i freeze bread...sour creams...the boys' gogurts....

pancakes are the best tip i've gotten.

make them in advance and freeze them in freezer baggies...when you want to give the kiddos quick breakfast pop them in the toaster and 'cook' them!

this weeks coupons had a LOT of organic products...there have been coupons for organics for months now...

target.com has coupons for their fresh fruit and vegetables all. the. time. this week it is for fresh brocolli and cauliflower...also there is a coupon for bagged salad...and archer farm hummus. when there banana coupons come out that is for FREE bananas at the super targets.

http://sites.target.com/site/en/supe...upons_specials

my son is gluten free, and i even scored coupons for thai kitchen on ANY so I am saving 50 cents on the noodles bowls by the dozens right now.

also there are always healthy coupons you just HAVE to get all the coupons every sunday. or as I do it I just order them from thecouponclippers.com

..Fused & Fabulous!
#22 of 134 Old 01-09-2008, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm signing on. I'd love to hear more about doing this with healthy food and organics.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#23 of 134 Old 01-09-2008, 01:01 PM

I'm curious about coupon use. I don't use them because I tend to cook more whole things and buy little in the way of convenience or snack foods. We don't get the paper but if I were to see that much of a savings I would certainly reconsider getting it and start using coupons. What type of things do you buy and save on?

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#24 of 134 Old 01-09-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrinat View Post
I'm curious about coupon use. I don't use them because I tend to cook more whole things and buy little in the way of convenience or snack foods. We don't get the paper but if I were to see that much of a savings I would certainly reconsider getting it and start using coupons. What type of things do you buy and save on?
u can do to hotcouponworld.com and preview the coupons before u buy a paper
#25 of 134 Old 01-09-2008, 03:05 PM

i was just looking online for something and i came across this site:

http://www.organicgrocerydeals.com/forums/index.php?
#26 of 134 Old 01-09-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
you can freeze everything just about.

i freeze bread...sour creams...the boys' gogurts....

pancakes are the best tip i've gotten.

make them in advance and freeze them in freezer baggies...when you want to give the kiddos quick breakfast pop them in the toaster and 'cook' them!

this weeks coupons had a LOT of organic products...there have been coupons for organics for months now...

target.com has coupons for their fresh fruit and vegetables all. the. time. this week it is for fresh brocolli and cauliflower...also there is a coupon for bagged salad...and archer farm hummus. when there banana coupons come out that is for FREE bananas at the super targets.

http://sites.target.com/site/en/supe...upons_specials

my son is gluten free, and i even scored coupons for thai kitchen on ANY so I am saving 50 cents on the noodles bowls by the dozens right now.

also there are always healthy coupons you just HAVE to get all the coupons every sunday. or as I do it I just order them from thecouponclippers.com
Well, maybe I should try online coupons. Surely it varies area-to-area. Our Target doesn't even sell produce (and it's 30 miles away, in any case). I do go through the Sunday coupons and on average I cut out one.
#27 of 134 Old 01-09-2008, 03:46 PM

Yeah coupons never really worked for me - I didn't even save enough to cover the cost of the newspaper LOL

I know Greenlife - our natural foods store - throws in a decent coupon book in our bag whenever we shop there, full of coupons for organics and such.

~S~ Mom to W ('04) & D ('05) & in April
#28 of 134 Old 01-09-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianyoushi View Post
u can do to hotcouponworld.com and preview the coupons before u buy a paper

I started reading hotcouponworld.com about 3 months ago and I have taken our $480 monthly ($120 per week) budget for food/ diapers/ wipes/ formula(: very long story)/ toiletries down to.... $40 per week!!!!

I used to cloth diaper and hated it but I have 2 in diapers and another one comming. But when you can get huggies and pampers for $2-3 a package and wipes for 0.50- free, it became CHEAPER than cloth diapering, and DH is much more happy.

I still make almost everything from scratch and we eat very health not ALWAYS organic but lots of veggies and fruit and homemade foods. What I have found is that we are using BETTER products for much less money. I now have "buy prices" so I will not buy something unless it is under my buy price.

For example:
toothpaste 0.29
toothbrush free
dish soap 0.40
dishwasher soap 0.75
shampoo and conditioner 0.75 (org. price must be over 6.00)
shampoo and conditioner 0.30 (org. price under 6.00

I would be happy to share more information but most people just think that I am crazy, but it is helping us pay the credit card off!

***I forgot to add that I BUY out of my budget 3-6 papers per week!
#29 of 134 Old 01-09-2008, 05:22 PM

I have to say that with coupons and watching store sales that I regularly get the following for FREE:

Shampoo
Conditioner
Toothpaste
Toothbrushes
Razors
Shaving cream
Deodrants
Body washes
Make up
Peanut Butter
Bagged Salads
Canned Tuna
Yogurt
Dish soap

The following I get regularly for less than a dollar:
Butter
Lunch meat
Pasta Sauce
Jelly
any Condiments
Medicines
Juice boxes (always can find them for 69cents for a 10pack)
Juice for the boys (OJ, Apple, Cranberry)
Detergent (every 6 months or so)
Dishwasher detergent (every 6 months or so its less than 50 cents)
I also have to buy gluten free cereals, bread mixes, and snacks for the boys...these I am able to buy because I can get so much more for so little.

I still have one in diapers, and thanks to the recent Target Huggies coupon we are set on diapers for the next 6 months...my wipes stash should last us till Christmas. This in it self will save us 25 dollars a month for the next year...and I have spent less than 20 dollars on this entire stash

..Fused & Fabulous!
#30 of 134 Old 01-09-2008, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e View Post
Actually, this past weekend's coupons had some GREAT organics and not-so-processed coupons. I have pretty much given up on food coupons, but I got really excited when I went through them this weekend!

And HEY ATTILA!! You may have been around, but I haven't seen you in a while! Nice to see you.

Atilla's GREAT at planning and cooking cheap, by the way.
Oh shucks - those were the old days. I do much much less cooking from scratch these days (meals from scratch but I am not making all our bread and crackers and stuff like that). I definitely need a refresher on saving money without going crazy.

We don't eat half as all-natural as we once did. I hope we will again someday, but for now we are doing our shopping at Aldi's and angelfood and not the whole food store.

flowersforyou.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page