I am really amazed at some of you - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-12-2008, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seriously. I read threads about budgets and payments and I just want to commend all of you who have learned how to stretch a dollar and squeeze a penny.

I was a late starter getting married and having kids, so I was never responsible for someone else until I was in my 30's. I was always responsible WITH my money, have always been a saver, but nobody every depended on me. I come here because I ENJOY being frugal and because it's also "finances" and investing is a hobby of mine. I hope I've helped some, but I've learned as well.

All of you women (and man... there's only one guy I know that hangs out here )... I just wanted to give you a huge pat on the back for working through your financial issues, learning how to correct mistakes, and making it WORK for your families in spite of so many obstacles. For persevering and picking each other up on these boards when someone gets down.

(That's all... just thought it would be nice to give credit where credit is due... um, but don't use that credit, it could get you into more debt! )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
(That's all... just thought it would be nice to give credit where credit is due... um, but don't use that credit, it could get you into more debt! )
We you too velochic!
Old 01-13-2008, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, tatooed. That's sweet.

Really, though, I think it's important that it's recognized how well most everyone does with very tight budgets. It's commendable to be able to make ends meet in this day and age. When I was a young-20 something, I think it was a lot easier.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:54 AM

I personally have made so much progress hanging out in this forum. I was never a person who loved shopping, but after having ds1 I would just shop to get out of the house. I hate clutter so much though that I would end up throwing most of it out or giving it away. I feel so much better being more earth and pocket book friendly! :

Thanks for all the encouragement ladies (and man).
Old 01-13-2008, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I absolutely with agree, Velochic (there is a thought I have had many times!).

I am always inpressed by the kindness and generosity I see on this board. I know many families here struggle to make ends meet in a world where basic food and housing is getting more and more pricey each year. It takes a lot of strength and creativity to keep a family fed, clothed, housed, educated...and then I read that so many mamas here are single and doing this on their own. I am honored to be in such good company.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Old 01-13-2008, 11:22 AM

Yes, credit is definitely due! I particularly commend young families who didn't have that "head start" had by those who didn't have children until their 30s or later. Starting a family in your 20s, just out of school, or even in your teens really puts you at a financial disadvantage versus single people. I commend everyone living frugally, but special kudos to the earliest starters. As I've learned, saving is a lot harder, and money doesn't take you quite as far, when you've got small people to look after.

4 kids under 10
Old 01-14-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Seriously. I read threads about budgets and payments and I just want to commend all of you who have learned how to stretch a dollar and squeeze a penny.

I was a late starter getting married and having kids, so I was never responsible for someone else until I was in my 30's. I was always responsible WITH my money, have always been a saver, but nobody every depended on me. I come here because I ENJOY being frugal and because it's also "finances" and investing is a hobby of mine. I hope I've helped some, but I've learned as well.

All of you women (and man... there's only one guy I know that hangs out here )... I just wanted to give you a huge pat on the back for working through your financial issues, learning how to correct mistakes, and making it WORK for your families in spite of so many obstacles. For persevering and picking each other up on these boards when someone gets down.

Ditto. DH and I are in a place right now where our incomes have grown by a very large amount over the last 5 years, mine because I went from part-time to full-time, and DH's because he started his own business from the ground up 5 years ago (so making very little) and then recently decided to go back to full-time employment. It would be easy for us to increase our spending to match. Although we are not in a bare-bones frugal season right now, this forum definitely keeps me grounded. And I learn new stuff all the time. Thanks.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009

User Tag List