Inexpensive homemade gift for 1 year old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-18-2008, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any ideas?

I'm sure there are some creative homemade gifts out there but my creative side is stalling today. I have a 7 month old so am not up on what that age would be into.

Thanks!

Married to my wonderful DH; Mama to DS born 6-07 and 4 in heaven brokenheart.gif1-06 (7 weeks) brokenheart.gif1-10 (6 weeks) and our twins 5-11, brokenheart.gifone sweet boy (17 weeks) and brokenheart.gifone precious baby girl (18 1/2 weeks).

In the middle of our adoption journey and are excitedly waiting to get matched with a birth mom

#2 of 16 Old 01-18-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstandlee View Post
Any ideas?

I'm sure there are some creative homemade gifts out there but my creative side is stalling today. I have a 7 month old so am not up on what that age would be into.

Thanks!

How about some bean bags or some play dough?
#3 of 16 Old 01-18-2008, 05:52 PM

For a boy or a girl?
Peanut butter playdough is a great idea - because at that age they still usually put things in their mouths and the peanut butter version is nontoxic. You should be able to google the recipe; I can't remember it off-hand.
You can also put together a CD of kids dance songs for them.

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.
#4 of 16 Old 01-18-2008, 06:04 PM

What about a busy book. A fabric book with buttons, snaps, zippers, velcro ect on each page.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#5 of 16 Old 01-18-2008, 07:51 PM

I was going to recommend bean bags too. I just made 6 sets for the holidays and a January birthday and everyone loved them! I made 6 for each set - red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple - and then made a fabric bag with a fabric tie to store each set in.
#6 of 16 Old 01-18-2008, 08:32 PM

Hey - timely question! We're celebrating dd's 1 year today! We made out dd a box house - it is a big box with windows cut out and the top cut out so if we're playing with her we can pop out. If you felt, needlefelted balls (stuffed in a box so they can pull them out) blocks - I know that's not homemade, but you can gather an assortment of boxes for them to pull the blocks out of. A doll - both boys and girls need dolls! (I suggest rag doll or other soft doll). a knit bag to put toys in

eta - here's the box I made her

~ Kim

mama to E (01-2007) and wife to C

#7 of 16 Old 01-18-2008, 08:38 PM

Dyed playsilks.
#8 of 16 Old 01-18-2008, 09:13 PM

no sew tutu

So cute for any age!
#9 of 16 Old 01-18-2008, 09:55 PM

Sock monkeys are fun and easy to make.

Mama to my 3 wild things.

#10 of 16 Old 01-18-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captivatedlife View Post
Hey - timely question! We're celebrating dd's 1 year today! We made out dd a box house - it is a big box with windows cut out and the top cut out so if we're playing with her we can pop out. If you felt, needlefelted balls (stuffed in a box so they can pull them out) blocks - I know that's not homemade, but you can gather an assortment of boxes for them to pull the blocks out of. A doll - both boys and girls need dolls! (I suggest rag doll or other soft doll). a knit bag to put toys in

eta - here's the box I made her
What boxes did you repurpose for that project? I love it!

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#11 of 16 Old 01-18-2008, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I was going to say a box, but captivatedlife beat me to it. We had a big appliance box that we made into a house. It folded down so we could store it behind the couch. It was the most beloved toy for a year or more until it finally crumbled. Man, that was a good box. :

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#12 of 16 Old 01-18-2008, 11:17 PM

How about a recording of you reading a favorite story? Or a homemade photo book of family members?

Progressive working mom to one Delightful Son, 1/07
#13 of 16 Old 01-18-2008, 11:19 PM

I have two very different boys and silkies, big boxes, and blocks were popular with both. One set of blocks we made by cutting up a tree branch. My little guy loves stacking them.
#14 of 16 Old 01-18-2008, 11:29 PM

This isn't the prettiest gift, so if presentation means something to your friends, I'd go with something else. But friends gave this to dd when she turned 1 and she LOVED it. In fact, she loved it for well over a year and then ds loved it.

They took an empty plastic gallon jug from cider and put a hole through the cap, then tied some string through the hole and around the jug handle so that cap couldn't get lost. They filled the jug with about 20 clothespins.

She would spend a half hour at a time just clicking the cap on and off, shaking the clothespins out, then trying to drop them back in. When she got everything in and the cap on, it made a nice loud shaker. It was great for hand-eye coordination and muscle control, but mostly it was just cool to see her have so much fun. She's 3 now and we still have that jug around here somewhere.
#15 of 16 Old 01-18-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama369 View Post
This isn't the prettiest gift, so if presentation means something to your friends, I'd go with something else. But friends gave this to dd when she turned 1 and she LOVED it. In fact, she loved it for well over a year and then ds loved it.

They took an empty plastic gallon jug from cider and put a hole through the cap, then tied some string through the hole and around the jug handle so that cap couldn't get lost. They filled the jug with about 20 clothespins.

She would spend a half hour at a time just clicking the cap on and off, shaking the clothespins out, then trying to drop them back in. When she got everything in and the cap on, it made a nice loud shaker. It was great for hand-eye coordination and muscle control, but mostly it was just cool to see her have so much fun. She's 3 now and we still have that jug around here somewhere.
That is such a neat idea for a toy! I'm not sure what my 2 would think of that at their current ages but I'm going to keep this idea in the back of my mind for the baby!

We also did a box house for the kids. Our neighbor got a new TV when DD was an infant and we asked her if we could take the box. We cut out 2 windows and a door (we didn't cut the door out all the way . . . we left it so that it can open and close) and DS and I spent an afternoon painting it. The kids have "decorated" it to their liking inside w/crayons, markers, stickers, pom poms, etc. It isn't the prettiest looking thing but it's going on 2 years now since we made that house and our kids still play with it often.

Mama to my 3 wild things.

#16 of 16 Old 01-19-2008, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

What great ideas! I love being inspired by other people's creativity

Married to my wonderful DH; Mama to DS born 6-07 and 4 in heaven brokenheart.gif1-06 (7 weeks) brokenheart.gif1-10 (6 weeks) and our twins 5-11, brokenheart.gifone sweet boy (17 weeks) and brokenheart.gifone precious baby girl (18 1/2 weeks).

In the middle of our adoption journey and are excitedly waiting to get matched with a birth mom

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page