EFT Canada mystery - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 01-22-2008, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Does anyone know what this company is and why they would be paying me money?? We are somewhat baffled. We have a no-fee PC account, which generates points when used at a specific grocery store. Every month I put our grocery money in there and we shop at the designated store. The account is only used for groceries. A few times I have noticed that there is more money in there then I think there should be, so I transfer the excess off to our savings account and I just figured we were doing better than I thought with grocery money. I finally got onto online banking for that account, and as it turns out, we've gotten three deposits (ranging from 100$-220$) from "EFT Canada". When I looked them up, it turns out that they're a company that handles deposits for small businesses and the like. I am increasingly baffled.
I had automatic deposits set up into that account from my job during my first university degree, but that was ~4 year ago, and I'm pretty sure I remember them coming in under the name of the pool I was working at. Not that I mind getting money, but I suspect that, at some point, someone is going to show up and want it back!
So, any ideas? Anyone know who/what EFT Canada is?

Thanks.
Katia

For greater things are yet to come...

#2 of 33 Old 01-22-2008, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkat View Post
Does anyone know what this company is and why they would be paying me money?? We are somewhat baffled. We have a no-fee PC account, which generates points when used at a specific grocery store. Every month I put our grocery money in there and we shop at the designated store. The account is only used for groceries. A few times I have noticed that there is more money in there then I think there should be, so I transfer the excess off to our savings account and I just figured we were doing better than I thought with grocery money. I finally got onto online banking for that account, and as it turns out, we've gotten three deposits (ranging from 100$-220$) from "EFT Canada". When I looked them up, it turns out that they're a company that handles deposits for small businesses and the like. I am increasingly baffled.
I had automatic deposits set up into that account from my job during my first university degree, but that was ~4 year ago, and I'm pretty sure I remember them coming in under the name of the pool I was working at. Not that I mind getting money, but I suspect that, at some point, someone is going to show up and want it back!
So, any ideas? Anyone know who/what EFT Canada is?

Thanks.
Katia
EFT means electronic funds transfer. Any direct or automatic deposits into my bank account say EFT followed by the location.
#3 of 33 Old 01-22-2008, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

So all the title of those transfers tells me is that the transfer came from Canada? Seriously? Who comes up with these things?!

#4 of 33 Old 01-22-2008, 02:38 AM

Is it possible it is from the feds? Not sure if you are currently on mat leave, but there have been some double payments recently.

Amy
mama to big brother Mason (Jan '05) and the littles, Adam and Holden (May '10)
#5 of 33 Old 01-22-2008, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
so its not intrest? PC seems to have some great rates.
Maybe you should ask?

Decluttering 500/2010
#6 of 33 Old 01-22-2008, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

PC does have great rates, but not so much on a regular checking account.
The savings account we have with them is great though - no fees and a 4% interest rate until you hit 10,000$, at which point it goes up to 8 or 10% (I should really find out).

It could be from the feds, but I don't know what it would be. It's not mat leave. And, in our oh so gender equal country, all of our gst credits go directly to my husband. It's not an issue in our household, but the assumption that the man in the relationship should get the refund drives me batty. What happens in relationships where the financial power is already unbalanced? Does nobody think that perhaps the woman should get the gst refund, especially since women are the ones who are often earning less money than men. Share the wealth people, share the wealth! Totally OT. Sorry.

I am still very curious. Do you think if I call the bank, they'd be able to tell me more?

#7 of 33 Old 01-22-2008, 10:52 AM

I think you should call the bank. I am pretty curious too

Perhaps there was a screw-up in your taxes. no, then the government would give you a lump sum and it is initialed differently.

Ya, I hear you on the GST. I get it because I am single, but I hear about it from my sister. She gets soooo ticked off. Some one needs to take on the government and thier archaic system.

Decluttering 500/2010
#8 of 33 Old 01-22-2008, 12:05 PM

Could it be the Universal Child Care Credit? Or someone you know who uses the same bank being very generous and helping you out?

(I think the gst is given to the person who applies for it, and the person who applies for it it usually the one with the greater income, even though it is based on total family income. I got it when I was the breadwinner and dh was the sahd. But then again, the CTB always goes to the mother, which is just as sexist. )
#9 of 33 Old 01-22-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenjall View Post
Could it be the Universal Child Care Credit? Or someone you know who uses the same bank being very generous and helping you out?

(I think the gst is given to the person who applies for it, and the person who applies for it it usually the one with the greater income, even though it is based on total family income. I got it when I was the breadwinner and dh was the sahd. But then again, the CTB always goes to the mother, which is just as sexist. )
I think the universal child care is exactly $100 per month per child..so if it's not exactly that amount then I don't think that's it. It would be paid on the 20th of the month.

Except last 2 months paid on the 13(before Christmas) and 18(because 20 was a Sunday)

It's a mystery...can you call the bank? I did notice PC doesn't put much detail on the accounts like other banks do.
#10 of 33 Old 01-22-2008, 12:50 PM

Yep, it's your Universal Child Care Credit, it shows up as "EFT Credit Canada"

SAM, momma to 3 beautiful babies: Tristan (5), Gabriel (4) , & Brighton (2)

#11 of 33 Old 01-22-2008, 12:50 PM

Could it be the Child Tax Benefit (not the UCCB)?! But then again, the amount of the CTB is the same amount/month and changes every June/July when they reassess based on the previous years' tax returns. The fact it says EFT Canada leads me to think it's from the feds but I know our bank statements for CTB and UCCB direct deposits say something to the effect of "Canada Child Tax" and "Canada Child Care". Hope the bank has some answers for you.

Mama to my 3 wild things.

#12 of 33 Old 01-22-2008, 01:03 PM

With both the Child Tax Credit & the Childcare benefit(and GST & any other gov't money) you would have had to give the government the banking info for the PC bank, and it comes under a different number.

GST goes to whomever in the household applies for it. Only 1 person can apply for it. It does not matter who in the household does because it is based on total income & does not change if the higher or lower income spouse applies for it. FWIW, when I do taxes for other people I always put it in the SAHP's name.

The Child Tax Credit & Childcare benefit is the same, it goes to whomever applies for it. IT could be either spouse, but generally the mother applies for it because it used to be the baby bonus & most mothers(because they typically did not work) used that money for groceries instead of having to ask their dh's for money for groceries.

Now, since you used to have wages put into that account I wonder if you belonged to a union? IF so there may have been a settlement for the period of time that you worked & it was retroactive so you were given wages based on the settlement. I've had it happen before when I worked for the gov't.

But yes, call the bank. They can tell you what it is & if it is even for you. Someone may have gotten numbers mixed up & I hope this isn't the case otherwise you owe that $ back.
#13 of 33 Old 01-22-2008, 01:42 PM

I get 3 things from the government and none are labeled with EFT.

childtax benefit
Universal child 'something' benefit
the first two come in seperate amounts with seperate labels on the same day
and
Ontario childcare supplement-this comes about a week later
I had to send info in for it to be diretly deposited to my account.
GST is labeled as GST
I can't remember what my tax return is labeled as but it is not EFT.

have you called the bank yet?!

Decluttering 500/2010
#14 of 33 Old 01-22-2008, 02:41 PM

I take back my UCCB suggestion - I checked my bank and its labled as "fed govt".

I'm hoping you get to keep it!
#15 of 33 Old 01-23-2008, 01:00 AM

I use tdCanadaTrust as my bank. It shows as EFT Can Fed and EFT Can Ctb... I think the banks make the labels.

However the amounts should be the same each month for either of them.

Did you call the bank?
#16 of 33 Old 01-23-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
It could be from the feds, but I don't know what it would be. It's not mat leave. And, in our oh so gender equal country, all of our gst credits go directly to my husband. It's not an issue in our household, but the assumption that the man in the relationship should get the refund drives me batty. What happens in relationships where the financial power is already unbalanced? Does nobody think that perhaps the woman should get the gst refund, especially since women are the ones who are often earning less money than men. Share the wealth people, share the wealth! Totally OT. Sorry.
Who gets GST is up to you, you apply for it when you file your income tax. There is a box you check if you are the one applying (only one partner can apply). It is usually recommended that the person with the LOWEST income apply. GST comes in MY name, not my dh. I SAH and have no income, but I still indicate that GST comes to me.

Does your province/territory have an additional supplement that is given out? Alberta has some sort of employment benefit given out in January and July. Maybe that was it?

#17 of 33 Old 01-28-2008, 02:58 AM

Hi all,

Sorry to intrude on this mother's forum, however I am a recently married male student with no children (nor does my spouse have any children) and I received this "EFT Credit Canada" in my PC account as well.

I will be calling the bank tomorrow to figure out what exactly is going on here. pretty sure it has nothing to do with Child care benefits?

looking forward to solving this mystery...or...not...don't really MIND having that extra cash in the bank!

~aw
#18 of 33 Old 01-28-2008, 12:24 PM

Thats it. I'm opening up a PC account to get some eft money.
#19 of 33 Old 01-28-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notthemama View Post
Hi all,

Sorry to intrude on this mother's forum, however I am a recently married male student with no children (nor does my spouse have any children) and I received this "EFT Credit Canada" in my PC account as well.

I will be calling the bank tomorrow to figure out what exactly is going on here. pretty sure it has nothing to do with Child care benefits?

looking forward to solving this mystery...or...not...don't really MIND having that extra cash in the bank!

~aw
Hey there and welcome to MDC, feel free take a look around and stay awhile

If you figure out the mystery PLEASE come and give an update.

Shenjall- me too!
oh wait, I have one I should check it for some mystery money!

Decluttering 500/2010
#20 of 33 Old 01-28-2008, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I called the bank and they were unable to tell me anything usefull. They also suggested that it might be childcare benefits, however, since our only child is deceased and, in fact, wasn't even carried to term, I *really* don't think that's the case. I wish we had a reason to get child care benefits!

I have to call Revenue Canada and ask them what's up, says PC. Great rates and such, but PC is not the bank to have in terms of service. They're nice on the phone, but there is something to be said for going to a physical location and dealing with a real live person.

I've been thinking about this, and I think it might actually be our GST credit. Even though I file our taxes, and, on principle, would have applied for the credit in my name, it comes to us under DH's name. But, recently, we've been getting statements with no attached cheque. And, when I filed our taxes last year, I *think* I set up the automated payment to go into our PC chequing account because we wanted it in the PC savings account (but I couldn't get the deposit set up to go into that specific account). I think.

The government also decided that DH and I were divorced about a year and a half ago and started demanding that we pay them GST credits back. It was a massive gong show and I phoned and wrote and phoned and wrote and kept being told it was fixed, and then we'd get another letter stating that since we were divorced we owed the government money, bla, bla, bla. It's actually kind of funny, really. However, after sending in a copy of our marriage certificate and proof that we still reside in the same residence, together, for the umpteenth time, I did manage to convince someone that we were still married and never divorced. So, in the end, they owed us money. I think this might explain why we got $200+ on one occasion and have only gotten ~100$ on the other occasions. I think.

It's so easy to just loose track of money, hey? I tend to think I've got a pretty good handle on the whole thing, but it's so easy to slip up. Thankfully it's been a slip up into the black and not into the red!

Funny that you're having the same issue, Notthemama.

Bonus money is good. Yep.

Katia

#21 of 33 Old 02-03-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenjall View Post

Isn't that unconstitutional, with Section 28 and everything?
#22 of 33 Old 02-03-2008, 06:43 PM

I sheepishly admit to not being sure what Section 28 is.
What I can tell you is just from experience. When dh and I blended our families, we both brought children into the relationship and eventually had a few together. So, not knowing any different, we applied for cctb separately. I filed for my bio kids, and he filed for his bio kids. Years go by and the birth of our last child happens. Cctb office gets the paperwork and calls us trying to figure out what the heck is going on. The woman tells me, that I'm supposed to file for all the kids in my home, bio or not. She then tells me that it can go to either parent, but its automatically sent to "woman of household".
So, I guess I shouldve said, "usually" sent to mother, and not always.
#23 of 33 Old 10-30-2008, 07:19 PM

I was the deputy returning officer at the election in October. My pay from elections Canada were entered in my PC account as EFT Canada. So I would suggest that anyone who has an EFT deposit, it is from the government.
#24 of 33 Old 10-30-2008, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We got those in our PC account, too. It started a few months ago and it's only a little bit money every month. I finally figured it out - it's the child tax credit. Apparently when I first gave birth to DS1 7 years ago one of the forms we filled out at the hospital was for that. We attached a blank cheque for direct deposit. They told me we didn't qualify for any. All these years we never heard anything about it. Family of 5, living on one income in Vancouver, guess we're loaded. Apparently last year we finally made little enough to qualify just a little bit of it. Oh well at least it's not a mistake and we don't need to return them.

BTW I just checked. Child tax credit and UCC are both paid on the 20th every month. GST credit is paid on the on the first week every 3 months. You can check the deposit dates to get some clues.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#25 of 33 Old 02-07-2009, 01:39 PM

Hey everyone,
I was just googling EFT credit canada and came across this forum. I just recieved it yesterday in my account for the first time and i'm baffled. I read everyone's comments and I can't see it being anything regardinga child benefit because I'm a university student who is not married and I have no children (I never even been pregnant). I will be going to PC financial today though to figure this out.
#26 of 33 Old 02-07-2009, 11:09 PM

My $100 from Harper, my child tax credit and, I believe, my GST, all show up as EFT Credit Canada.

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#27 of 33 Old 02-08-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
The government also decided that DH and I were divorced about a year and a half ago and started demanding that we pay them GST credits back. It was a massive gong show and I phoned and wrote and phoned and wrote and kept being told it was fixed, and then we'd get another letter stating that since we were divorced we owed the government money, bla, bla, bla. It's actually kind of funny, really. However, after sending in a copy of our marriage certificate and proof that we still reside in the same residence, together, for the umpteenth time, I did manage to convince someone that we were still married and never divorced. So, in the end, they owed us money. I think this might explain why we got $200+ on one occasion and have only gotten ~100$ on the other occasions. I think.
I just wanted to sympathize. After dh and I got married, I filed a tax return, listing him as my spouse. There was no SIN, because dh was an American citizen, and there was a letter attached that explained that. To make a long story short, I went through several months of trying to explain that the information they wanted (spouse's SIN, spouse's annual income, etc.) was either provided on the original form, or wasn't applicable. Multiple phone calls and letters went back and forth before it was all resolved - and before it was all over, dh received a letter requesting that he pay back the GST credit he'd received the previous year. It was to his name, at my mailing address...and had my ex-husband's SIN on it, and was requesting his money back. My ex then didn't get some cheque or other that he was supposed to get (the current year's GST, I think) - and phoned me, because Revenue Canada had informed him that the cheque had been sent to me. Ugh.

It was quite an impressive fiasco. I'm honestly nervous every time I file our taxes now...although at least we're not depending on the Child Tax Credit now - we were when they froze it while waiting for the information I'd already given them multiple times...

The last post I saw was about your GST credit, so it sounds as though you've got this all sorted out.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#28 of 33 Old 02-08-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
PC does have great rates, but not so much on a regular checking account.
The savings account we have with them is great though - no fees and a 4% interest rate until you hit 10,000$, at which point it goes up to 8 or 10% (I should really find out).

I am still very curious. Do you think if I call the bank, they'd be able to tell me more?
If your dh is getting the gst rebate in his name, it's because he's choosing to get it when you do your taxes. This time around, choose no on his return and yes on yours, and the gst cheques will start coming in your name. The question is something like "do you want to apply for the gst credit". Only one member of a family can get it, but male or female doesn't matter.
#29 of 33 Old 02-08-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I just wanted to sympathize. After dh and I got married, I filed a tax return, listing him as my spouse. There was no SIN, because dh was an American citizen,
That exact same thing happened to me. No SIN for him, therefore you owe us back a bunch of GST credits. I just paid them the money, then sent them his SIN once it arrived, and they paid me back. Pain in the ass!

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#30 of 33 Old 02-08-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
And, in our oh so gender equal country, all of our gst credits go directly to my husband. It's not an issue in our household, but the assumption that the man in the relationship should get the refund drives me batty.

When we were eligible for the GST it always came to me, the lower earner.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page