So what's the deal with Target? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 115 Old 02-04-2008, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Orchid View Post
you can make that point without making generalizations about class.
Actually I see where you think I was being offensive. Sorry. What I meant to write was that according to surveys where people are asked how they judge people and decide where they fall in our class system, teeth are at the top of the list. I didn't mean that they are real indicators or class. Sorry.
#62 of 115 Old 02-18-2008, 09:47 PM

Star and Tribune (Minneapolis paper) recently did a price comparson of organics and Target Super stores were cheapest.

This was including Cub, Wholefoods, and other grocery stores.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#63 of 115 Old 02-18-2008, 10:45 PM

I have no idea, I walk into target and walk out with just my list unless i pass something on clearance thats a great deal like grocheries or toiletries. Occasionally I will buy clearance kids clothes, but I dont look if I dont have the money.

my downfall is walmart.
#64 of 115 Old 02-18-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayinme View Post
Lack of dental care speaks to larger social issues, like the fact that so many low wage jobs offer either no benefits or they offer them but they are not affordable to many of the workers. More and more middle class folks also do not have access to dental care via jobs but generally are in a better position to scrape up the resources to see a dentist. Its not fair to judge folks by their teeth.

As for Target, yeah on the surface it looks better than Wal-Mart but IMO they really are not that far apart both strive to seperate you from your money buying things you often don't need. It just looks better.

Shay
some of us people with bad teeth just hate dentists and refuse to go, free or not.

and I have terrible teeth, geneticly, and i had free dental care until I turned 18. As soon as I no longer HAD to go see the dental nurse because i wasnt covered, i rejoiced, I absolutly hate dentists. And I hate my teeth, if I had the choice and money, i would get them all ripped out and have false teeth. I never want implants, or braces. Even if the state did give me medical coverage again, or we got dental insurance, I wouldnt go unless I had an emergency.
#65 of 115 Old 02-18-2008, 11:33 PM

hi, my name is marisa, and i'm a targetaholic.

actually, i'm in recovery now. i've always loved target, but my big problem started right after my first baby was born. i felt really cooped up in the house, and we went to target pretty much every day. with help from friends, i've weaned myself down to once a week, then e-o-week, and now this is my first month going just one time! it's so freeing. the weekend rolls around and i don't have to make a trip to target!

plus my february shopping trip (gosh, over two weeks ago?!) only cost $70, mostly because i've got two in 'sposies. i was so busy making sure i bought everything i needed for the month, i didn't have time to shop for crap. i still love target, though.
#66 of 115 Old 02-18-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post
hi, my name is marisa, and i'm a targetaholic.

actually, i'm in recovery now. i've always loved target, but my big problem started right after my first baby was born. i felt really cooped up in the house, and we went to target pretty much every day. with help from friends, i've weaned myself down to once a week, then e-o-week, and now this is my first month going just one time! it's so freeing. the weekend rolls around and i don't have to make a trip to target!

plus my february shopping trip (gosh, over two weeks ago?!) only cost $70, mostly because i've got two in 'sposies. i was so busy making sure i bought everything i needed for the month, i didn't have time to shop for crap. i still love target, though.

ME TOO!! I have also saved alot of money by not going to target in the last month!!!
#67 of 115 Old 02-19-2008, 04:04 PM

I don't get all the hype about Target. Not that fantastic. I prefer Meijer, but I know that is just a regional option available in my area.
#68 of 115 Old 02-19-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
I don't get all the hype about Target. Not that fantastic. I prefer Meijer, but I know that is just a regional option available in my area.
yeah, meijer is our main shopping place as well.
#69 of 115 Old 02-19-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolliePollie View Post
I do have to say though... that for the most part I've noticed that Targets tend to look much cleaner than Wal Mart. They just feel cleaner and brighter, also. I remember living in one locale where WM and Target were right across the street from each other, and the people in there seemed like night and day.

See I love Target as a concept, but i like one stop shopping. Our Super T is always always poorly stocked in the groceries and it's so much more expensive. I tend to only go there if I have something specific I'm looking for.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#70 of 115 Old 02-20-2008, 02:29 AM

i don't like target. i HATE the return policy and oh the registries. don't even get me started. we dont' have a super target, so i cant' comment on groceries but i think they have overpriced, cheap stuff. if i am going to buy something, i'd rather buy something of excellent quality. i get sucked in by the apearance of things at target (clothes and housewares) but am always disappointed with the quality and usually regret the purchase. i have been shoppin there more lately, since we decided to no longer shop at walmart, but i dont' love it. i wish we had more options.

i am also not a fan of the marketing to me all this stuff i "need" so i will spend money. wrong on many, many levels.

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.
#71 of 115 Old 02-20-2008, 03:08 AM

I LOVE target, I really love target. It breaks my budget though every time I go in. There kids clothes are great especially on sale and last me a while. Plus I always seem to rack up when things are on clearance I have just gotten so many great deals there it's hard to resist. Also there stores are clean and the employees have always been great. I don't shop super target though as it's all the way on the north end of town.
#72 of 115 Old 02-20-2008, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoTwo View Post
oh Target .... have you noticed tha ttheir home stuff are knock offs of Pottery Barn (or, as DH calls it "Poverty Barn")?? And the kids clothes are so cute! And the organizational stuff... oh I could go on.
I may be missing your meaning, but I have never set foot in a Pottery Barn because they are Ridiculously Expensive. I can barely afford Target. Really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanamommyphd07 View Post
It's clean, and the people working there typically have all their teeth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boysrus View Post
What an incredibly classist comment.
On soooo many levels!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_sonja View Post
Do they provide health insurance to their employees? That could make a difference.
YEAH to all that and more. snark, snark. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaMama View Post
But at what cost to society? Where does all that cheap stuff come from and where does it end up?

I am really shocked by all the pro-target here on a NFL board.
Sigh. I'm so sorry that I am too broke to shop at all-organic fair-trade curbside markets in the hip downtown area of my progressive city. Oh wait.... :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Am I the only one on this thread who's actually able to walk into a Target store and get stuff on her list and not blow the budget?
Yes.

sometimes it frustrates me when I realize that not only am I in the minority on these boards because of our income level, but that many of the lovely, understanding, with-it folks here just Don't Understand poverty Sorry.

FWIW I love Target, I love that I can find eclectic-style home decor there that I can actually dream of affording someday soon. I will totally buy Target stuff when I move and can afford more than just baby t-shirts on their clearance rack

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#73 of 115 Old 02-20-2008, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
sometimes it frustrates me when I realize that not only am I in the minority on these boards because of our income level, but that many of the lovely, understanding, with-it folks here just Don't Understand poverty Sorry.

FWIW I love Target, I love that I can find eclectic-style home decor there that I can actually dream of affording someday soon. I will totally buy Target stuff when I move and can afford more than just baby t-shirts on their clearance rack
I don't think you are in a minority on the Frugality & Finance boards. There are lots of people who are dealing with poverty or have dealt w/ it. Others have been close enough to have a good idea. And we are all here because we are looking for a better way of doing things... a way to balance what we have, what we want, and what we can change. Hang in there.
#74 of 115 Old 02-20-2008, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I like Target. The light is important. Kohls drives me nuts because of the poor lighting and crowded racks. I'm usually fine with getting what I need and not much, if any, more. But ds always wants something, usually just a pack of Pokemon cards or something so I try not to go unless I'm prepared to spend an extra $10. My technique is to finely hone my natural pickiness, lol. I'm pretty good with finding things wrong with something (the color isn't quite right, etc). I am glad I don't have a dd because I'm always eying the cute girls clothes!

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#75 of 115 Old 02-20-2008, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
I understand you and I understand poverty. I LOVE to walk around Target and I too dream of that lovely eclectic style to furnish my dream house. For now I'll settle for pictures of my kids in dollar store frames and hand sewn pillows and handknit blankets on my couch. And the worst part, I have been shopping at evil-mart because my work gave me a baby gift of a $250 gift card!

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#76 of 115 Old 02-20-2008, 11:49 AM

I Target!!

For me it's:
1- Convenient -- (our is a SuperTarget), so I don't have to do a grocery run and a Target run to get my errands done. If they sold Stamps, they would truely have everything.

2-Quality -- the clothing, home stuff, for me-- produce, meat... pretty much everything, is far and away better quality than Wal-Mart.

3- Service -- I am always asked a least once a trip to Target, if I need help finding anything....at the other Marts, there are usually no employees around, or if you can find one, they are clueless.

4- Starbucks --Starbucks inside Target!! I like to treat myself to a Chai Latte occasionally
#77 of 115 Old 02-20-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:

I dont think you are in the minority. I avoid target because they are even to expensive for me most the time.... its walmart and the dollar store at my house, unless theres some really good deals, eg diapers.

I was in heaven when lane bryant had that $15 off a $15 or more purchase, I could finnaly afford to get myself some new quality clothes! I ended up with over $100 worth of clothes for $27 total. I couldn't have even got the clothes I did at walmart or target for that price, and thrift stores are always hit and miss for plus size women.
#78 of 115 Old 02-20-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Sigh. I'm so sorry that I am too broke to shop at all-organic fair-trade curbside markets in the hip downtown area of my progressive city. Oh wait.... :
What a lot of assumptions you made about me!

That's ok, if you ignore problems like adding tons of cheap plastic crap to our environment and using near slave labor to make said crap, those problems will just go away. Instead of sticking your head in the sand you can stick it in a pile of cheap plastic crap and wait for everything to fix itself.

Adding my own :
#79 of 115 Old 02-20-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolm22117 View Post

In my own very,very humble opinion, Target is not all that much better than any other store, it's just been able to maintain a much prettier image.
Exactly.

It floors me that so many people think it's better to shop there than walmart when it's the same MIC crap. Same profiteering. Same lousy pay and low status jobs.

As long as you are buying stuff MIC you are not doing anything different than shopping at walmart. Whether you buy it at the $1 store, Walmart, Target, Safeway, or some department store, it doesn't matter if it came from the same source. Instead of focusing on the store, we need to focus on the sweet deals our government makes with big business and other countries who profit from slave labor.

Telling ourselves we're socially conscious for shopping at Target is just plain silly.

for intuitive readings click here :
#80 of 115 Old 02-20-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
Telling ourselves we're socially conscious for shopping at Target is just plain silly.
i missed where anyone said anything like that.

i buy essential items at target. the only other place i reguarly shop is our local whole foods co-op (not a part of the whole foods chain) and the kinds of things i buy at target are either not available there or are not reasonable for me to buy there. do you never need tylenol, tin foil or a toothbrush?

now, in no way do i believe i'm doing anyone a favor by shopping at target over another big box store. nobody but myself, that is, because i simply prefer target. i do buy MIC crap there - you know, a nasal aspirator, a humidifier, a bed rail - and plastic to boot.

in many cases, there is a "greener" alternative to what i buy there (hmm, i'm sure i could find some domestically-sewn organic cotton undies online). it's a matter of priorities. my family's resources (both time and money) only go so far. while we're moving in the right direction, we're very far from perfect, and we still buy our undies at target.
#81 of 115 Old 02-20-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaMama View Post
What a lot of assumptions you made about me!

That's ok, if you ignore problems like adding tons of cheap plastic crap to our environment and using near slave labor to make said crap, those problems will just go away. Instead of sticking your head in the sand you can stick it in a pile of cheap plastic crap and wait for everything to fix itself.

Adding my own :
some of us have no choice but to ignore it because we are trying to survive and provide for our familys.
#82 of 115 Old 02-20-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudswinger View Post
Target's got organic, fair trade stuff.
smokescreen to get you in there thinking they're all socially responsible when in fact they are not.
Quote:
i missed where anyone said anything like that.
I have heard the statement IRL and on MDC, that target is somehow better than Walmart. Or that anywhere is better.

But the fact is, they all profit from the same labor pool.

And whenever we have one of these conversations, I pose the same question.
Why are we not ragging on our government about the sweet deals they make with major corporations and other governments?

#83 of 115 Old 02-20-2008, 07:52 PM

walmart sells organic fair trade products to..... it really doesnt matter whos selling what, they are all still big stores who sell MIC stuff.
#84 of 115 Old 02-20-2008, 08:28 PM

I have a really hard time shopping in "big box" stores. I agree that Target is just a glorified Wal-Mart. I have no problem getting only what is on my list every 4 months or so. Today, while pushing my Target cart toward the check-out, I realized that the only things I buy at Target are disposable...which makes me really sad, we are so wasteful.

Here is what I bought today...

3-12pks of TP...we could use cloth wipes/sometimes we do
1-24pk of paper towels...my personal addiction
1-80pk of trash bags...what are the alternatives?
2-mongo boxes of kitty litter...inside cats, need this
1-24 case of bottled water...we leave it in the car f/emergencies, but totally unnecessary.
1-replacement screen for electric razor...for dh

other things I get at Target...

replacement avent spouts f/Klean Kanteen sippys
batteries...no way around this one
light bulbs...since buying the energy smart bulbs, we hardly ever buy them anymore

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#85 of 115 Old 02-21-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
smokescreen to get you in there thinking they're all socially responsible when in fact they are not.

But the fact is, they all profit from the same labor pool.

And whenever we have one of these conversations, I pose the same question.
Why are we not ragging on our government about the sweet deals they make with major corporations and other governments?
Are you painting every big business with the same broad brush? So there's no possibility that "big" business can be socially responsible? So only small businesses can be socially responsible? I'm not saying Target is a poster child for a socially responsible business, but I know that a lot of their stuff is not MIC. I do check the labels. There's stuff made in Vietnam, Turkey, Costa Rica, and all sorts of other countries. They also have tons of cheap plastic stuff. But it wouldn't be there if people didn't buy them. It's like the crappy foods on store shelves. People still buy them. And cigarettes. People still buy them.

So I say I'd rather have the mass marketers support the ideas of fair trade and organics, and make some progress there then not. Every organic sheet sold means there's one less non-organic sheet sold. It gives the opportunity to people who might not have the means to buy organic stuff off the internet or from some small place, and you know these people wouldn't be buying from those venues anyway.

I like that Target is willing to bring designer stuff to the mass market. Yea, sometimes that means that it might look like Pottery Barn knockoffs. But if you like the look and can't afford PB prices, there's still an option for you. If you like designer stuff, but can't justify $400 purses, there's still an option for you. That's kind of the whole point of this board, being frugal. If I can be frugal and still buy organics, that's even better.

I'd say we're not ragging on our government because this is not the political/activism board. I've read many business articles about the kinds of pressure Walmart puts on its suppliers to keep things cheap, while I haven't seen any of those on Target. And articles on predatory pricing to drive small businesses out. So I'm much more comfortable with choosing Target over Walmart.
#86 of 115 Old 02-21-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudswinger View Post
Are you painting every big business with the same broad brush? So there's no possibility that "big" business can be socially responsible? So only small businesses can be socially responsible? I'm not saying Target is a poster child for a socially responsible business, but I know that a lot of their stuff is not MIC. I do check the labels. There's stuff made in Vietnam, Turkey, Costa Rica, and all sorts of other countries. They also have tons of cheap plastic stuff. But it wouldn't be there if people didn't buy them. It's like the crappy foods on store shelves. People still buy them. And cigarettes. People still buy them.

So I say I'd rather have the mass marketers support the ideas of fair trade and organics, and make some progress there then not. Every organic sheet sold means there's one less non-organic sheet sold. It gives the opportunity to people who might not have the means to buy organic stuff off the internet or from some small place, and you know these people wouldn't be buying from those venues anyway.

I like that Target is willing to bring designer stuff to the mass market. Yea, sometimes that means that it might look like Pottery Barn knockoffs. But if you like the look and can't afford PB prices, there's still an option for you. If you like designer stuff, but can't justify $400 purses, there's still an option for you. That's kind of the whole point of this board, being frugal. If I can be frugal and still buy organics, that's even better.

I'd say we're not ragging on our government because this is not the political/activism board. I've read many business articles about the kinds of pressure Walmart puts on its suppliers to keep things cheap, while I haven't seen any of those on Target. And articles on predatory pricing to drive small businesses out. So I'm much more comfortable with choosing Target over Walmart.
I'm saying that as long as we overlook the fact that they are profiting from the same 'bad' practices as Walmart just because they carry some free trade products, they're successfully getting away with the same business practices without catching any flack for it. I find it odd that so many are OK with that.

The question was what's the deal with Target? Well, that's the deal. With slick marketing they manage to fool people into thinking they're different from Walmart, but they aren't. And until our government stops letting American companies profit from doing business with the companies who use slave labor overseas, that's the way it will be. People will vilify Walmart while shopping at Target because it's perceived as being 'better' but it's all the same. So the answer to the question what's the deal with Target is, it's the same deal Walmart has, just in a prettier package.

And they don't have to drive out the mom and pop stores because Walmart comes in and does it for them, then they come in and build a store afterwards. They may not carry all the same products or drive the other businesses out personally, but they swoop in after the fact and profit just the same because people shop there thinking they're better than Walmart.

#87 of 115 Old 02-21-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
people shop there thinking they're better than Walmart.
i shop there thinking, i need a spool of dental floss. i don't give myself a big hug over shopping at target, but i don't feel bad about it either. i'm simply meeting my family's needs.
#88 of 115 Old 02-21-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
i shop there thinking, i need a spool of dental floss. i don't give myself a big hug over shopping at target, but i don't feel bad about it either. i'm simply meeting my family's needs.
Exactly. And that is what most people think when they are at Walmart.

But, IRL, and online, I have been involved in conversations where people seem to have the idea that it is preferable to shop at Target because they're better than Walmart, and I just don't believe it's true.

The deal with Target is, like Walmart, they get their stuff from whoever will sell it to them the cheapest. Like any other business, they are trying to make money.

#89 of 115 Old 02-21-2008, 04:03 PM

Well, I stopped at Target the other night as I had some time to kill, and a decluttering issue at my house.

I need to find a good shoe system. The 3yo, 5yo and 8yo are always losing their shoes. So, I went in to find a shoe organizer NOT made in China. Impossible. No such creature.

I decided that I would then sew one (or three) myself. Hmm. How to hang it? OK, a stainless steel hanger. Again, impossible. No such creature. So now I will need to sew a pocket, hang a dowel and hang these behind their bedroom doors.

So I walked out of the door empty-handed.
#90 of 115 Old 02-21-2008, 06:35 PM

i don't get it. do you never need anything that comes from a big, evil corporation?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page