So what's the deal with Target? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 115 Old 01-31-2008, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As I read through various threads I find a common theme in many postings... Target Stores and their ill effect on our budgets!

Now don't get me wrong, I share the issue. I could never get out of a Target store for less than $50, and that is on a good day! Lucky for me, there are no Targets here in Hawaii! That's probably why our finances are looking the best they have in 18years! (There's talk of a Target opening in "09, but things here get done on "Hawaii Time", so that will probably be delayed, whew!)

My biggest weakness in Target was clothes for DDs and/or "things" for the house.

What is it about Targets that make me so willing to part with my money?

Kohls was also a bad place for me to go. Didn't even matter if I left my card at home because they are more than happy to look up my account number for me!
#2 of 115 Old 01-31-2008, 07:19 AM

For me it's because Target has great sales and great quality. And a wider variety of items than most similar stores.
#3 of 115 Old 01-31-2008, 08:23 AM

oh Target .... have you noticed tha ttheir home stuff are knock offs of Pottery Barn (or, as DH calls it "Poverty Barn")?? And the kids clothes are so cute! And the organizational stuff... oh I could go on.

I cant leave there without spending $80. And we have a Super Target so I grocery shop there too.
#4 of 115 Old 01-31-2008, 10:55 AM

i think its the bright lights and clean stores. i dont feel like i'm going to get diseased walking in there (like i do when i walk into one of the walmarts in the area.)

not to mention, they have some *amazing* clearances. they had a whole aisle of shoes 75% off last night. got some really cute slippers for the kids for $2 a pair. and got the kids some nice boots for next winter too.

oh, and http://www.afullcup.com has a target coupon generator. target has their own printable coupons that make some amazing deals.
#5 of 115 Old 01-31-2008, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's clean, and the people working there typically have all their teeth.
#6 of 115 Old 01-31-2008, 11:29 AM

They have grocery carts, the prices are low, and you need to walk through miles of store.

Anytime you can get a cart or basket into a shopper's hands, it means more $$.

We pick up an item that catches our eye, check it out, look at the price, and think, "Oh, a couple of bucks? What's the harm? It's barely the cost of a cup of coffee," and we toss it in the cart. Or, "Oh, yeah, lightbulbs! I need lightbulbs. Oh! And look! A Valentine wreath for the front door. That would be cute. We don't even HAVE Valentine decorations! Better remedy that."

And then that happens many more times.

And by the time you get to the check out you've got a cart full of stuff that all adds up.

Target wows me with their marketing. I admire them from a professional standpoint. My budget hates them, though.
#7 of 115 Old 01-31-2008, 11:49 AM

Exactly! I agree with Monkey's Mom.

I browse the One Spot, just in case there's something I "need." That usually costs me $1-10. And let's see if they have any good prices on barettes. And I love to check the clearance sections for linens, housewares, heath & beauty, food, clothes.

I usually buy things on sale, but it's often things I don't need.

Plus, I am a sucker for Hello Kitty stuff and they have tons of Hello Kitty items.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#8 of 115 Old 01-31-2008, 11:52 AM

It's just NICE stuff!!! Yeah it costs a little more than Wal-mart but it seems to hold up so much better- the clothing, the bedding... I bought flannel sheets for my Ds there and they are holding up nicely. I got a velour "sweat suit" for DD- she is wearing it today and it is so very simular to one my mom got her from Hanna Andersson, but mom paid 4 times as much for it (the HA one was DDs B-day present so I am keping it) but really, they are styled jsut the same. I think Target is making effors to look like GAP and HA (clothing) and a lot of the home goods do look like Pottery Barn and IKEA.

one thing to keep in mind, if you are AAA, then target on line offers 15% off. I have never done that becuase with shipping nd all I am not sure if it would be worth it but I am putting that out there for any of you who want to Target shop on line and have AAA.

Sheila
#9 of 115 Old 01-31-2008, 11:58 AM

Are you serious???? You can get 15% off at Target online just for being a AAA member??? Really? How do you do that? Maybe I should go look!

I am so lucky that our Target doesn't have the grocery or we would be broke. I just love all of the stuff in there. Have you seen the toddler clothes and shoes? Just to cute to pass up on especially on sale.

Man I need to go to Target!
#10 of 115 Old 01-31-2008, 01:38 PM

My husband and i joke if we don't have a hundred dollars to blow basically, that we are not allowed to step foot into target. There is always something we need there. Like lightbulbs, and oh yeah a basket for the living room, and didn't we need some new towels- hey look they are on sale, and look kids clothes are on clearance, and so and so's bday is coming up lets grab them something, what did we come in here for? oh yeah milk. Total. 120.00$ Plus they have a starbucks in ours, so that adds another 10 bucks, cuz we only get it when we go to target.

My husband and i are banned from target this month, we don't have the money.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#11 of 115 Old 01-31-2008, 01:40 PM

There's no Target at all up here. I don't know weather to be glad or sad.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#12 of 115 Old 01-31-2008, 01:57 PM

The stuff is nice enough that you think you want it all; the store is clean enough that you don't mind shopping there; the prices are cheap enough that you feel like you can afford it and are getting a good deal.

All that adds up to a lot of stuff thrown in a landfill in my experience. I never shop there anymore and I can't think of one thing I need there. I'm sure if I went in though, I would find about $300 worth of stuff I would like. Good thing I am Compacting!
#13 of 115 Old 01-31-2008, 02:07 PM

I don't have that problem with Target luckily. I actually only go for necessities or things that are mostly needed

They do have super cute decor things though. I could get in trouble if I spent money on things like that often.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#14 of 115 Old 01-31-2008, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have no problem walking into Target and buying what I need and nothing else.

I do tend to spend at least $50 in there because I often wait to go to Target until I'm seriously out of stuff- then I stock up on epsom salts, laundry and dishwasher detergent, soap and shampoo and hair stuff, tissues and toilet paper, and if I can swing it I might pick up some kitchen stuff that I've been needing forever but haven't had a chance to pick up yet. If I buy "drugstore" stuff elsewhere, I'll end up spending a lot more for the same items.

The last time I went to Target (stopping through on the way to the mall for a birthday gift) I spent around $5.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#15 of 115 Old 01-31-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanamommyphd07 View Post
Amen!!!

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#16 of 115 Old 01-31-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
the people working there typically have all their teeth.
What an incredibly classist comment.
On soooo many levels!!
#17 of 115 Old 01-31-2008, 07:47 PM

Target is the bane of my financial existence. Oh gee, I only need toilet paper and dishwasher detergent but while we're here let's look at shoes and clothes and and and...I rarely get out of Target with my budget intact. So I never go.
#18 of 115 Old 01-31-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysrus View Post
What an incredibly classist comment.
On soooo many levels!!
I do have to say though... that for the most part I've noticed that Targets tend to look much cleaner than Wal Mart. They just feel cleaner and brighter, also. I remember living in one locale where WM and Target were right across the street from each other, and the people in there seemed like night and day.

Nursing bras should not double as birth control!
#19 of 115 Old 01-31-2008, 09:21 PM

its the genius marketing... seriously, i used to work for a manufacturer and call on them. they know what they are doing. they know who you are and what you really want and they know how to make you think you *need* it.

#20 of 115 Old 01-31-2008, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolliePollie View Post
I do have to say though... that for the most part I've noticed that Targets tend to look much cleaner than Wal Mart. They just feel cleaner and brighter, also. I remember living in one locale where WM and Target were right across the street from each other, and the people in there seemed like night and day.
That's been my impression also.

I Target. When I visit a Target store I can easily drop a good $20-$30 on stuff I didn't plan on getting when I first walked in the door. Target target my weaknesses.

I can't wait until we get our Target store. One is slated to be built in my community within the next year.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#21 of 115 Old 01-31-2008, 10:57 PM

'cause everything is so tempting and cheap and the stores are clean and pleasant to browse. For me, it's just being tempted by "plenty". I'm glad we don't have Super Targets here...

I avoid Target unless I specifically need something that they offer the best deal on, and I try to get it and get out. Best is if I have a time constraint!

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#22 of 115 Old 01-31-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Do they provide health insurance to their employees? That could make a difference.

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#23 of 115 Old 01-31-2008, 11:11 PM

I Love love love Target! The fact that they have a Starbucks inside doesn't hurt, either. The people are super friendly, and things are so much easier to find than in Walmart.
#24 of 115 Old 01-31-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
the people working there typically have all their teeth.
That made me cringe.
#25 of 115 Old 02-01-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_sonja View Post
Do they provide health insurance to their employees? That could make a difference.
Yes, they do. Even part time employees. I worked there for 5 years while in university and I lost my health insurance after my dad passed away. I was able to get coverage through Target and it was awesome coverage . . . and I was only part time (20 hrs/week, max). Now, when I left, they were changing their plans/providers so I'm not sure what the coverage is like now but a few years ago, they provided some of the best (if not *the* best) coverage in the retail sector.

Back to the OP, Target is deadly. It's a good thing we don't have them up here in the Great White North b/c, yeah, our budget would be shot. DH dreads when we go down to the States to visit family b/c I always have to get in a "Target fix," as I say, and usually walk out at least $100 lighter in the pocket book. My kids just got $50 in Target gift cards that I'm trying to figure out what to order for the kids online. They're seriously burning a hole in my pocket! I'm counting down the days until I get to step foot into a Target again . . . 29 to be exact.

The marketing is truly genius. My goal was, had I stayed States-side after getting my degree, was to make it into the marketing dept at Target HQ b/c I so admire their marketing strategies. They think everything out to the very last detail.

Mama to my 3 wild things.

#26 of 115 Old 02-01-2008, 01:31 AM

wow im really surprised. I hate target. It doesnt help that I am od'd on target, there are 2 in a ten mile radius to my house. ugh. i dont like the clothes there, the shoes are all cheap, the food at my target super is gross (all frozen, junk) I went in for a big water jug and all they sold were small bottle of water. Their decor is overpriced junk too. sorry but target really annoys me. every once in awhile i'll find something good but its rare.

Holistic Moms Network Monterey Chapter, co-leader!
Mama to oneboy 6/20/07 and due Mid-August
#27 of 115 Old 02-01-2008, 02:44 AM

i hate target too, but its because their return policy is just ridiculous. i once tried to even exchange something and they wanted me to PAY THEM MONEY because i didn't have a receipt (it was a gift) and the item was currently on sale. my mom recently bought $150 worth of items, had a $25 gift card (incentive from work, she never goes there either), and paid the rest in cash. She had to return something for $30. They gave her the $25 gift card back!!! How ridiculous. now she has to go back to target.
#28 of 115 Old 02-01-2008, 02:59 AM

I live 2 blocks from Target. It is better to just keep myself from going there ever.
#29 of 115 Old 02-01-2008, 04:12 AM

I'm not a big fan of Target, too.

I don't like the bulk MIC piles of $1 junk that sits next to the front door. I don't like the smell of popcorn that assaults you as you walk in the door. And I wouldn't buy their clothes.

Admittedly, it is cleaner and brighter. The fact that they can look up a purchase with what debit/credit card you used is helpful. But I think that their items are expensive.
#30 of 115 Old 02-01-2008, 06:15 AM

Oh, I forgot about their home decor!!! We plan to be in our own place before June. God help me, I'll have a home to decorate and our Target card will be paid off. :x DH may need to hide the card and go online and change our account password (because I'm known to look at old bank/cc statements to get our card/routing numbers when I need to make a purchase and can't find the checkbook or cc).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page