Dumping Debt and Building Wealth with Dave Ramsey~ FEBRUARY - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 240 Old 02-13-2008, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just popping in to say our BEF is still at $950/1000. This is really amazing b/c we had a $163 plumber bill that wasn't budgeted/expected... But we had enough to cover it without dipping into the BEF! That, however, was just luck. Extremely good luck, though!

Congrats to Jaime and Einly for completing the BEF! And good luck to the rest of you!
#122 of 240 Old 02-13-2008, 09:21 AM

DH made an announcement that surprised me - he thinks we should use some of our tax return for the BEF! He previously wanted to throw everything at debt, and we are all paid off except our HUGE SL debt that we are moving to BS 6 (or wherever the mortgage is). We are also going to pay down the 10 part of our 80/10 mortgage. WE had a house we wanted to buy, but it wen under contract 2 days before we put in our offer and it is a quick close, so we doubt it will fall through so now we are back to house hunting - I want DD to be in a house for kindergarten, esp since I'm not crazy about the one she would go to if we are still in our condo.

To find anything we like, we may have to move N or NE a bit, which is farther from my family and occasional free babysitting

Anyway, I will pos when it is done, but soon we will have $2k in our BEF! right now we are $900/$2000 and step 2 is done, if you want to update us, Jamie.

thanks!
#123 of 240 Old 02-13-2008, 11:20 AM

Well, we paid off the last CC last week and now have no CC debt! We are very proud of ourselves (can I say that?). I had to do a lot of nagging over the past 11 months to keep DH on track. Now we have his work truck which I was considering a business expense but I think we (vs. the business) will work on paying it down. I'm hoping to finish paying it off this year.

At the same time, I want to get more money into the EF as DH is self employed and we need more that $1000 to get through hard times in our part of the country.
#124 of 240 Old 02-13-2008, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Still paying down debt, nothing exciting to report on that front. The really exciting thing is seeing the peace this has brought our marriage. In fact, dh was even bragging to his best friend about how it seems like we have more money than ever and how great it is to be in control. That made me feel great. And we never argue about money now and there is still money for things we want or need.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#125 of 240 Old 02-13-2008, 03:51 PM
mtm

Great work Alley! Still plugging away here, managed to put an extra big payment on dh's cc as I finally got a backpay cheque I was waiting for.
#126 of 240 Old 02-13-2008, 05:11 PM

Is anyone else finding themselves in the position of being more well off than their parents or other family?
It's kind of weird (and sad) to me that my parents and my IL's are financially worse off than we are, and they are much closer to retirement!! Eeeeek!!
How have you broached that subject if you have? I know we have mentioned casually, "Hey we read this great book and ever since we instituted a monthly budget we are doing great..." and "wow, it looks like we are grown-ups now, we have life insurance and a retirement plan."
Anyone?
#127 of 240 Old 02-13-2008, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMama View Post
Is anyone else finding themselves in the position of being more well off than their parents or other family?
It's kind of weird (and sad) to me that my parents and my IL's are financially worse off than we are, and they are much closer to retirement!! Eeeeek!!
How have you broached that subject if you have? I know we have mentioned casually, "Hey we read this great book and ever since we instituted a monthly budget we are doing great..." and "wow, it looks like we are grown-ups now, we have life insurance and a retirement plan."
Anyone?
We are still working on it, but it makes me sad to see my dad's situation. They live very well but are still mortgaged up to the gills. He has had to take out more term insurance that is wildly expensive since he is 76 b/c something needs to pay off his bills so my mom is not destitute. They put everything on credit and he is always stressed out and having to shuffle money around.

On a different note - as we pay off our credit accounts, should we close them or leave them open? I already cancelled the really expensive store accounts - Macy's, Old Navy, Sam's, etc. - b/c they are always available to you at the store and we didn't want the temptation. We cut up our Visa/MCs a long time ago, but should we close the accounts, too? We will want to buy a house eventually, and I don't want to ruin our credit, but I also don't ever intend to use them again.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#128 of 240 Old 02-13-2008, 05:25 PM

I do close cards as we pay them off. It is really hard though! And not because I want to keep them open, but because apparently if you call a credit card company to cancel a card red alarm buzzers start going off and all heck breaks loose!
I had to speak to no less than 3 people and a supervisor recently to get them to agree to close a credit account of mine. I was really pi**ed off by the time I got off the phone. They ARGUED with me and were really patronizing and aggravating about closing it. ARGGGHGHGHG!!!!
#129 of 240 Old 02-13-2008, 06:06 PM

Dave Ramsey says to cancel them, but if you plan to buy a house in the somewhat near future your score will be better if you leave them open. So far I have not cancelled the ones I have closed. I am not sure what we will do. I have no plans to ever use them again. At the same time though, since we don't have our 3-6 months of living expensives saved I might feel better having them locked away somewhere.

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
#130 of 240 Old 02-13-2008, 06:09 PM

back later to introduce myself. for now subscribing because i just found ya'll.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#131 of 240 Old 02-13-2008, 06:18 PM

still catching up on bills and paying off debt.
We paid off
medical bills from makayla
2 credit cards
caught up on many bills

still have
4 credit cards to pay off
catch up on a few more bills
and get 1000 in emergency fund
emergency fund should be funded soon.

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#132 of 240 Old 02-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Red

jamiew, we do like Shanetedissac, too. Liking the food isn't an issue. If you're hungry, you eat what you have.

Have you added up what lunch out 5 times a week costs you? (Not to mentin what you paid for what you're wasting)

TattooedMama, My relatives are driving me nuts! I want to shake them all! My dd19 just got a cc bill! I freaked on her. She's paying it off NOW and cutting it up. Darn kids.

My update. *sigh* I've been doing it wrong. I thought I'd read TMM, and hadn't. I kept seeing catch-phrases here I didn't recognize. I'm about 1/2 through now, dh is even further....a fact I may live to regret. THe biulls have always been MINE and sharing is going to be tough.

Anyway, I've been doing this wrong. bills caught up...that probabaly doesn't mean that the creditors aren't calling. It probably means you're paying things as they are due. Not a month or 6 weeks later. *Sigh* again. So update me back to BS0! Yup, this month I start catching up. I looked it all over, have 3 bills behind. With in a month, I'll be down to one, so it's not too bad, but I feel....dumb. What was I thinking? (I've rolled some change to get that started!)

I also did my first cash flow plan, and the first ever zero budget ever. Still working on that one. Harder than I thought!

On a good note, I asked dh what he thought we should each have for blow money. We have never, ever had our own before! (also never had a line item for vacations, car repairs, etc!) He said $20 each, which will include any alcohol or dining out! That's LESS than we spend without a plan, a fact I pointed out. It's great to have had HIM suggest spending less, as he usually wants MORE. ( I snuck a bit extra into another line in case that's not reasonable for us as the months go on.)

I"M EXCITED! Yep, I'm totally in. I have a starting plan and it's going to work!

Galatea- I'm trying to convince myself to cut them up. It will take a bit though. Up until now, teh cc;s WERE my EF. I have to adjust to my new life.
#133 of 240 Old 02-13-2008, 10:24 PM

Oh don't beat yourself up Red... after we were a couple of months into the TMM I found out we were paying our energy bill a cycle behind. Now however you want to break the semantics down--it was a late bill as far as I was concerned. We were basically carrying a $200 balance on it from month to month-- so not caught up. :
You'll get there!

I have also discovered that since I have tied my menu planning and grocery shopping to a stricter food budget I am cooking less often throughout the week. I am no longer making something new for every lunch and dinner. We are actually EATING our leftovers. and there are more things in the fridge to prevent the impulse lunchtime drive thru trip.
#134 of 240 Old 02-14-2008, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I am pretty excited!

Yesterday at my new family doctor, my blood pressure was sky high : I tend to get that anxiety that comes from seeing a doctor I always freak out. Anyway, she wanted me to check it several times a day for a month! Ugh. Well with my work schedule I was going to be able to get to the pharmacy that many times over a day to check there, so I started to get frustrated, because the home units are so expensive But FIL has one and he gave it to DH yesterday and said that we could consider it on long term loan! Whoooop! I am so excited! That is $50-$75 I can keep in my EF thanks to FIL :

Oh, and upon checking my BP today, it was much lower than it was at the doctor's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshund mom View Post
My last debt payment is offically going out on Valentine's day. How's that for a present! Much better than grabing something at those drive by flower sales tents.

We've decided to go ahead an work on the second mortgage (we did 100% financing with an 80/20 loan), but I'm not sure which order to put it in yet. DH is getting a big raise in April and we need to rework the budget. Any thoughts?
I've got you updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Yea
Also, eldest dd and her dh came home to roost for a bit. They expected to find jobs immediately, but are instead experiencing a bit of life's ups and downs. (SIL just found a part time job after a month. DD is getting desperate, ready to apply for anything. She'd hoped for somehting in accounting, as she's newly graduated as an....accountant) silly girl.

So, teh food budget is off a bit, even though we're thrilled to have them. I need a week or so to figure this all out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einley View Post
Well we've accomplished babystep #1 and we are going to move onto the debt snowball.
I'm having budgeting issues as dh is getting paid $440 less a month
Quite a chunk to have to work around, but I'll figure it out.
I'm happy to have accomplished one thing though
I have you updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet68 View Post
And you know, I was just thinking today as we were driving home from a long day out in the rainy cold that normally after a day like that I would hit Starbucks or somewhere for a hot drink, but instead I came home and made tea. I haven't bought snacks for the kids in ages because now I make sure to always pack lunches and snacks. I think that means it has become a habit, and that's a Good Thing!
That is great!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiew View Post
I don't quite understand parts of this (BS2, BS0, etc), but I"m trying to cut down on food waste. We have a terrible time with it, we've got a 10 month old daughter who's so all over the map with solids that so much goes bad before she eats it.

Our leftovers always rot in the fridge, I just can't seem to use them up.

I've got a job 3 days a week, and we both have freelance artistic careers we're trying to hold down as well. My goal is to make lunches for myself to take to work and freeze them, but I can't seem to find the time. Burritos and lasagne are on the list.
Welcome!! As for me, well I fixed my budget to have very little grocery room in it. Going to the store and getting something on a whim is not a financial option for me. I am lucky to scrounge up enough for a gallon of milk So maybe try not leaving yourself any wiggle room? Eat up those leftovers. Or at the very least, freeze them if possible for a future meal. I do that a lot with leftover sloppy joes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReikiMommy07 View Post
Just popping in to say our BEF is still at $950/1000. This is really amazing b/c we had a $163 plumber bill that wasn't budgeted/expected... But we had enough to cover it without dipping into the BEF! That, however, was just luck. Extremely good luck, though!
That's great!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arismomkoofie View Post
Anyway, I will pos when it is done, but soon we will have $2k in our BEF! right now we are $900/$2000 and step 2 is done, if you want to update us, Jamie.

thanks!
I got you updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyoop View Post
Well, we paid off the last CC last week and now have no CC debt! We are very proud of ourselves (can I say that?). I had to do a lot of nagging over the past 11 months to keep DH on track. Now we have his work truck which I was considering a business expense but I think we (vs. the business) will work on paying it down. I'm hoping to finish paying it off this year.

At the same time, I want to get more money into the EF as DH is self employed and we need more that $1000 to get through hard times in our part of the country.
Awesome!! Are you already on the main list? I couldn't find your MDC name on there, but you might be there as your real name. Let me know so I can update you or add you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
Still paying down debt, nothing exciting to report on that front. The really exciting thing is seeing the peace this has brought our marriage. In fact, dh was even bragging to his best friend about how it seems like we have more money than ever and how great it is to be in control. That made me feel great. And we never argue about money now and there is still money for things we want or need.
That is way awesome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMama View Post
Anyone?
Nope, I am the oppsite. My parents are a lot better off than us, because of my father's military career and from him working for the Government. He has a lot of income and has saved it wisely over the years. I hope to be as financially stable as them one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
back later to introduce myself. for now subscribing because i just found ya'll.
Welcome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleesmom View Post
still catching up on bills and paying off debt.
We paid off
medical bills from makayla
2 credit cards
caught up on many bills

still have
4 credit cards to pay off
catch up on a few more bills
and get 1000 in emergency fund
emergency fund should be funded soon.
Hi Are you on the main list? I couldn't find you on there either. Let me know so I can either update or add you

Quote:
My update. *sigh* I've been doing it wrong. I thought I'd read TMM, and hadn't. I kept seeing catch-phrases here I didn't recognize. I'm about 1/2 through now, dh is even further....a fact I may live to regret. THe biulls have always been MINE and sharing is going to be tough.

Anyway, I've been doing this wrong. bills caught up...that probabaly doesn't mean that the creditors aren't calling. It probably means you're paying things as they are due. Not a month or 6 weeks later. *Sigh* again. So update me back to BS0! Yup, this month I start catching up. I looked it all over, have 3 bills behind. With in a month, I'll be down to one, so it's not too bad, but I feel....dumb. What was I thinking? (I've rolled some change to get that started!)

Better late than never on reading Dave I have updated you! You can do this!

I hope everyone has having a good day!

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#135 of 240 Old 02-14-2008, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I have made it my goal to try to learn how to make things crocheting. I am starting off with a super simple baby booty pattern I would like to learn to make things to sell for extra money. Wish me luck!

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#136 of 240 Old 02-14-2008, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Triple post!

Has anyone ever seen one of Dave's envelope wallets in person? I can't tell from the website what it looks like. I mean, are there like, built in envelopes in it? I can't figure it out.

#137 of 240 Old 02-14-2008, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have one! It came with the FPU kit. It's a brown binder about the size of a small datebook. There's a plastic zipper pocket and several envelopes in a binder. There are also some extra envelopes in a pocket separate from the binder.

Of course, I haven't started using it yet..... :
#138 of 240 Old 02-14-2008, 06:51 PM

Did our taxes today!

Our awesome tax guy deducted enough things in our life to get our taxable income down to $8600 (we made $48k), which meant that we owed nothing.

We're getting a $6000 return, which will be applied to debt payoff as soon as it arrives. That will get us more than halfway through BS2.

:

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#139 of 240 Old 02-14-2008, 08:45 PM

Way to go, phathui!

Does anybody here feel like they've discovered this "secret" that really is SO SIMPLE and yet I sure didn't think much about it until now...? Today on the radio they announced that some consumer debt group discovered that Canadian families are bringing in, on average, $61,000 per year and saving only $1000 of that!!! Household debt has risen 7x faster than income over in the last 15 years!

I know how average people get into debt, I know the attitude of "buy now, pay later" and I know how it can be even easier to rack up debt when you earn more b/c you figure "hey, I can pay this off whenever I want, but I want to get X right now instead...". But I listen to these statistics and I wonder how an entire society can just dig their heads in the sand...anyways, when I hear stuff like this I just want to scream "You CAN be debt free!!"

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#140 of 240 Old 02-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
Did our taxes today!

Our awesome tax guy deducted enough things in our life to get our taxable income down to $8600 (we made $48k), which meant that we owed nothing.

We're getting a $6000 return, which will be applied to debt payoff as soon as it arrives. That will get us more than halfway through BS2.

:

Hey! Share those tips! In fact, let's all try to share one. Mine? Don't forget the deduction for what you paid to get your taxes done last year. I'll come back with a few m ore, cause finding good ones is a tax time hobby of mine.

February's budget is a bit messy. Still trying to adjust to our rather cozy circumstances. Can someone send the job fairy to visit dd? Or maybe one of those tv shows that would slap an addition on my house?

Just want to say again, we love having them, it's just a big change.

Welcome newbies!!!!

A question about DR's 'stuff'. If we're being all gazelle about this, why would we want to spend money buying his stuff? I have envelopes and could easily improvise a way to carry them. (An elastic band comes immediately to mind)

I just have a picture of dave, sitting in some huge office, surrounded by phones and people to answer them, laughing like crazy as the orders come in!

His show is on my DTV tonight. I think the decision was just made to watch him!

Piglet, I know just what you mean! DD told me that her friend is buying a new couch and tv with her rebate and I started rambling about saving it, or paying down her debt. DD pointed out, with some exasperation, that we don't even know the girl HAS debt! : I wanted to yell, "Of course she does!" then realized that I don't really know....(But I'd bet one roll of pennies on it!) I felt like calling her up and saying, listen here, you pay off one cc with that money!

Jaime! Take this health warning seriously! Are you taking good care of yourself? My SIL just told us he has high BP and cholesterol. I've been poisoning the guy with my cooking.
#141 of 240 Old 02-14-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
A question about DR's 'stuff'. If we're being all gazelle about this, why would we want to spend money buying his stuff? I have envelopes and could easily improvise a way to carry them. (An elastic band comes immediately to mind)
I wouldn't personally buy things other than the books. I've found that having his books handy helps me to stay motivated.

#142 of 240 Old 02-14-2008, 10:16 PM

Taxes

We deducted:

- our property taxes

- our mortgage insurance (ugh)

- money donated to our church

- items donated to Goodwill while decluttering

Because I'm self employed, I deducted:

- 1/3 of what we paid on our mortgage (since it's home childcare)

- mileage on my van

- science center and zoo memberships

- 1/4 of my grocery bill

- supplies bought that the extra kids used

#143 of 240 Old 02-15-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:

I just have a picture of dave, sitting in some huge office, surrounded by phones and people to answer them, laughing like crazy as the orders come in!
I have a kit that came with the fee for FPU. It came with a book, workbook, audio CDs, and the envelope binder. We also received a scholarship, so we only paid half of the fee. : I don't think I'd buy his stuff otherwise, and I'd get the books from the library.
#144 of 240 Old 02-15-2008, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
Did our taxes today!

:
Awesome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet68 View Post
Does anybody here feel like they've discovered this "secret" that really is SO SIMPLE and yet I sure didn't think much about it until now...? Today on the radio they announced that some consumer debt group discovered that Canadian families are bringing in, on average, $61,000 per year and saving only $1000 of that!!! Household debt has risen 7x faster than income over in the last 15 years!

I know how average people get into debt, I know the attitude of "buy now, pay later" and I know how it can be even easier to rack up debt when you earn more b/c you figure "hey, I can pay this off whenever I want, but I want to get X right now instead...". But I listen to these statistics and I wonder how an entire society can just dig their heads in the sand...anyways, when I hear stuff like this I just want to scream "You CAN be debt free!!"
For DH and myself, the great bulk of our debt is medical bills from me I feel bad about that, but I went so long without health insurance, so credit was one of my only options. However, when my BIL mentions how he is taking 4 vacations this year and that he is litterally going to still be paying them off when he is 60 (he is 30 now), well, that just shocks me. I would not voluntarily ever want to be in that position. I'd rather stay home now and save, invest, then vacation when I am 60, you know?

Quote:

His show is on my DTV tonight. I think the decision was just made to watch him!

Jaime! Take this health warning seriously! Are you taking good care of yourself? My SIL just told us he has high BP and cholesterol. I've been poisoning the guy with my cooking.

Well I have been thinking about the envelope wallet for a few months now I have decided not to get it because it wasn't how I pictured it in my head. I am going to keep using the coupon organizer, because it seems to be about the same thing, really. The only thing I know is that when I ordered his book *My library didn't have it and I waited for the $10 sale * I liked how he does not accept credit cards.

I am working hard to be healthy, I exercise and have been eating better. I am getting a lot more serious now that we are moving in to where we want to TTC.

I hope everyone is having a good day

#145 of 240 Old 02-15-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Jaime View Post
Awesome!!
When my BIL mentions how he is taking 4 vacations this year and that he is litterally going to still be paying them off when he is 60 (he is 30 now), well, that just shocks me. I would not voluntarily ever want to be in that position. I'd rather stay home now and save, invest, then vacation when I am 60, you know?
How do you relax on that vacation? I mean when I vacation I don't want to be thinking about how much my sandwich will cost over 30 years, kwim?

Quote:
My thought exactly. But I'd add a printout of the new american dream's wallet buddy to the outside of the envelopes.
www.newdream.org/walletbuddy.pdf

Quote:
Piglet, I know just what you mean! DD told me that her friend is buying a new couch and tv with her rebate and I started rambling about saving it, or paying down her debt. DD pointed out, with some exasperation, that we don't even know the girl HAS debt! : I wanted to yell, "Of course she does!" then realized that I don't really know....(But I'd bet one roll of pennies on it!) I felt like calling her up and saying, listen here, you pay off one cc with that money!
Yeah, I just don't get that piece at all.

Introducing myself:
Kristin, married for 8 years, all of which one of us has been in graduate school working on a phd. I don't feel badly about making that decision. Having dd1 (and then subsequently dd2) before we had planned put us in a tricky spot.

We have some consumer debt, massive school loans for our 6 degrees, a mortgage and a furnace. My plan is to take my giant tax refund (2000 bucks!) and pay off one bill. I think I'd be all for consolidation only so I had to keep track of one account. BUT...I know it's not worth it.

Anyhow, here I am and my tip for sticking with it is to put the 1 hr free podcast on subscription and I listen more or less daily.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#146 of 240 Old 02-15-2008, 01:27 PM

: I just paid off our car and 3/4 of one of the credit cards. Next week I am paying off the lowest balance card and that will leave us with about $1700 to go. Provided we stick to our budget, and nothing major comes up we can get that taken care of in 1.5-2 months.
#147 of 240 Old 02-15-2008, 02:02 PM

Hi We have been on the DR plan for a few years now... We started with over 86K in debt (other than mortgage). But we are chugging right along and today I finished paying off one of our debt snowballs so I am here to celebrate because that leaves just 4 more and then the mortgage. Hoooray! It seemed so overwhelming at first and bankruptcy was looking mighty fine at the beginning but I am so proud that we have stuck to this plan and are seeing results. Anyways, HELLO to all the DR fans! Stick with it!
#148 of 240 Old 02-15-2008, 07:58 PM

Hi everyone. I'm coming out of lurkdom to ask two questions:

1. DH is super relucant to even approach the subject of our money. Any advice on getting him on board?

2. My employer is sponsoring Financial Peace University and our cost for the course would be $149. To anyone who's done it , was it worth it? I like that it would provide some accountability because we need it badly and I think that it may help with DH.

Thanks!
#149 of 240 Old 02-15-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMama View Post
2. My employer is sponsoring Financial Peace University and our cost for the course would be $149. To anyone who's done it , was it worth it?
Dh and I are taking it now. The price seems a little high. We're attending through a church, and the course was only $100. We also got a scholarship and only had to pay $50. The class has been wonderful so far, and I'd recommend it. You might shop around your community for a better bargain, though.

Quote:

1. DH is super relucant to even approach the subject of our money. Any advice on getting him on board?
The class will help you a lot with this. There is homework that kind of forces the issue and encourages couples to work together on a plan.
#150 of 240 Old 02-15-2008, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
Introducing myself:
Kristin, married for 8 years, all of which one of us has been in graduate school working on a phd. I don't feel badly about making that decision. Having dd1 (and then subsequently dd2) before we had planned put us in a tricky spot.

We have some consumer debt, massive school loans for our 6 degrees, a mortgage and a furnace. My plan is to take my giant tax refund (2000 bucks!) and pay off one bill. I think I'd be all for consolidation only so I had to keep track of one account. BUT...I know it's not worth it.

Anyhow, here I am and my tip for sticking with it is to put the 1 hr free podcast on subscription and I listen more or less daily.
Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBTLuv View Post
: I just paid off our car and 3/4 of one of the credit cards. Next week I am paying off the lowest balance card and that will leave us with about $1700 to go. Provided we stick to our budget, and nothing major comes up we can get that taken care of in 1.5-2 months.
Awesome!! What a great feeling that must be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernskies View Post
Hi We have been on the DR plan for a few years now... We started with over 86K in debt (other than mortgage). But we are chugging right along and today I finished paying off one of our debt snowballs so I am here to celebrate because that leaves just 4 more and then the mortgage. Hoooray! It seemed so overwhelming at first and bankruptcy was looking mighty fine at the beginning but I am so proud that we have stuck to this plan and are seeing results. Anyways, HELLO to all the DR fans! Stick with it!

Hello and great job on the debt reduction!
Quote:
Hi everyone. I'm coming out of lurkdom to ask two questions:

2. My employer is sponsoring Financial Peace University and our cost for the course would be $149. To anyone who's done it , was it worth it? I like that it would provide some accountability because we need it badly and I think that it may help with DH.

Thanks!

I have never taken the class, but that would probably be a good place to start to get your DH involved

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page